Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A bad day all round, except for the result

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A bad day all round, except for the result

It’s unlikely that many of those involved in Thursday’s debate and vote will look back on their participation with pride.  Quite why parliament was recalled early when it was due to return next Monday anyway remains unclear, particularly given that the UN inspectors’ report should be published at the weekend or shortly after.  The assumption has to be that irreversible steps were planned before next we…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Also, what happens if when the rebels use chemical weapons? Is Obama going to bomb them as well?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    FPT:
    PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome

Tomorrow’s Daily Telegraph front page: Ministers face sack over Syria shambles http://polho.me/16XktJ2
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Also, what happens if when the rebels use chemical weapons? Is Obama going to bomb them as well?

Or even if a stash of mortar bombs full of chlorine and/or mustard gas turn up in an embarrassing location.

• Options
    RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    Another excellent, balanced, article David. Initially I thought it was disastrous for Cameron, and that may still be the case if the tabloids round on him, but Miliband comes out worse than an oily disreputable insurance salesman. For all the talk of his weakness, we need to remember that he successfully shafted his own brother and got to the top through distinctly backdoor entry (i.e. the unions not his parliamentarians or members). He may be weak, but even worse he isn't to be trusted. Those two elements combined are very dangerous in a politician, and interestingly there's a resonance there with his predecessor. I'm not sure I can recall any leader in my lifetime more unsuited to be Prime Minister, with the possible exception of Jeremy Thorpe.

Where did Cameron go so wrong? It's difficult to judge from afar (I'm in Asia writing a novel) but there are two things. First, he lacks a majority. Major had better numbers and still suffered defeats because the disaffected in the party can hold the power. Some of those rebels should hang their heads in shame: David Davis? I mean, come on.

Second, though, this highlights Cameron's biggest weakness and the one he has GOT to sort out. He's a posh boy, surrounded by posh boys. He desperately needs to get some working class rough and toughies around him and in the whips office: people who will stand for no nonsense, who will schmooze and threaten in equal measure, who will get the MPs behind Cameron. And it really matters because Mlliband is vulnerable. The next election is still there for the taking as an outright win, but Cameron MUST get some down-and-dirty types close in now.
  • Options
    Yglesias:
    @mattyglesias
    What message is sent by an action whose stated purpose is to send a message? Seems deeply paradoxical.
    This thing seems to be full of holes. Nobody wants to embolden Assad, but the whole plan is an intricate web of WTF.

Sometimes the right response is to lock yourself in a soundproof room and talk about Rwanda.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Back on British politics, 46 confidential letters to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee are enough to trigger a confidence vote. Maybe 1/3 of that number are already on file. 30 MPs just publicly voted against the PM on going to war.

I don't know internal Conservative politics very well, but objectively that would seem like a bomb that could go off, at any time in the next couple of weeks, without warning.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Excellent article David; balanced and insightful. Many thanks. It also benefits from the hours which have passed and the dust which has, although not settled, at least stopped swirling so violently.

@MrJones Misinformation, deception and bare-faced denials will be the way forward if any inconvenient facts surface at this stage. The politicians and the media have their narative established as to white/black hats and news will be filtered through that prism.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    You'd have thought with the Mail's history they'd have been a little circumspect before employing someone like Quentin Letts

"But Mr Miliband, whose word may be no straighter than that conk of his"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2407488/Ed-Miliband-slippery-hypocrite-trust-says-QUENTIN-LETTS.html
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    @Roger We've already had the argument about whether Letts should be burned alive for using the word "nose" in the vicinity of an article also referencing a Jew who isn't Micheal Howard in the last thread. Do you really want to resurrect Ed Nose Day's taxpayer-funded cosmetic surgery on this thread too? Really? *sigh*
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Cameron's only really in danger if CON MPs start to believe that they'd have a better chance of holding their seats with a different leader. I'm not sure we've reached that point but it could happen.

PaddyPower still have 16/1 that Dave won't survive the year.

Back on British politics, 46 confidential letters to the Chairman of the 1922 Committee are enough to trigger a confidence vote. Maybe 1/3 of that number are already on file. 30 MPs just publicly voted against the PM on going to war.

I don't know internal Conservative politics very well, but objectively that would seem like a bomb that could go off, at any time in the next couple of weeks, without warning.

• Options
    I heard a very articulate Californian congresswoman who said Obama is obliged to go to congress for approval which may well not be forthcoming. "If dropping bombs on Syria isn't declaring war then how would you describe it if the Syrians dropped bombs on Washington?"
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Cameron's only really in danger if CON MPs start to believe that they'd have a better chance of holding their seats with a different leader. I'm not sure we've reached that point but it could happen.

Agreed, but only 15% of Con MPs have to conclude that. More like 10% or less if you take account of people who have it in for him for personal or ideological reasons. It strikes me that we may only be a few bad polls away from that, and there's a big chunk of Con/UKIP waverers there ready to help deliver a vicious cycle of bad polls if an anti-Cameron narrative starts to pick up steam.

Anyhow I'd say there's value in that there 16/1.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Yglesias:

@mattyglesias
    What message is sent by an action whose stated purpose is to send a message? Seems deeply paradoxical.
    This thing seems to be full of holes. Nobody wants to embolden Assad, but the whole plan is an intricate web of WTF.

Sometimes the right response is to lock yourself in a soundproof room and talk about Rwanda.

There may be a window here for Russia to reach a deal with Assad to take control of Syria's stockpile.
  • Options

Or if MPs, especially those in safe seats, come to believe their party (any party!) is doomed anyway so it is worth throwing the dice. I doubt this would happen till late 2014.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,451
    I hope the Little Englanders are pleased now.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I heard a very articulate Californian congresswoman who said Obama is obliged to go to congress for approval which may well not be forthcoming. "If dropping bombs on Syria isn't declaring war then how would you describe it if the Syrians dropped bombs on Washington?"

Exactly.
  • Options
    Roger said:

This is one of the points Ron Paul makes a lot. The constitution says Congress makes the decision to declare war, but since WW2 they've been working around that by going to war without declaring it.

Politically there's a lot to be said for Obama throwing this one back to Congress. He probably wouldn't be opposed to future presidents having the checks and balances on their power restored, since he tends to be less hawkish than the median president. If they vote it down he gets to blame them for any future atrocities, and if they pass it it helps insulate him from the consequences if it goes pear-shaped.

Meanwhile he gets to bang another wedge into the generation fracture in the Republican party, with the Paul people on one side and the Neocons on the other. The argument between Rand Paul and Chris Christie is already getting quite nasty, which shouldn't do the Democrats any harm come 2016.
  • Options
    Best prices - POTUS 2016

Hillary Clinton 3/1 (various)
    Marco Rubio 10/1 (various)
    Chris Christie 14/1 (various)
    Jeb Bush 16/1 (Shadsy)
    Paul Ryan 20/1 (Coral)
    Rob Portman 20/1 (Coral)
  • Options
    Taking a foreign policy route which is different from the US is sure to be tested in opinion polls this week-end.

My guess is that Ed has got this one right and by quite a margin the British will prefer framing their own foreign policy
  • Options
    Rand Paul:

"He's not going to be for regime change. For me, this sounds like we're not going to win, he's for stalemate," Paul said. "When I've had private conversations with the administration that's what I hear. They're not for victory for either side, they're for equalizing the battle and having stalemate."
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/30/rand-paul-obama-for-stalemate-in-syria/
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    edited August 2013
    I can still remember the first chemistry lesson I took over 45 years ago, when the teacher said that he recognised people liked to mix things to see what would happen. However, he put the fear of "God" (his name for the Tawse or belt carried over his shoulder, under his jacket) if he caught us mixing certain substances.

To be fair, he then went and gave an interesting lesson on the use, abuse and manufacture of chemical weapons and how it was too easy to make unintentional mistakes with even common household cleaners that could kill or worse, make you very ill for the rest of your life.

Today, using the Internet, it is very easy to find information on how to build a nuclear weapon that even a semi competent engineering student could make, apart from getting the purified uranium and tritium.

Binary chemical weapons are a dawdle in comparison. Nastily effective and cheap, obviously a weapon that most countries (and / or "governments in waiting" / "rebels") keep in secret or have the makings and plans available just in case, in total contravention of any and all international laws.

Edited stupid error!
  • Options
    Paddy Power - U.S. midterm elections

Control of the Senate
    Dem 8/11
    Rep EVS

Control of the House of Representatives
    Rep 2/7
    Dem 9/4
  • Options
    'Ministers face sack over Syria shambles'
    - At least five Government ministers face the sack
    Alan Duncan, David Gauke and Steve Webb failed to return from holiday to support the Government, angering the Prime Minister, according to sources.
    Justine Greening, the International Development Secretary, and Mark Simmonds, a junior Foreign Office minister, claim to have not realised that voting had begun as they were in a meeting. Commons officials said the explanation was baffling as it “would have been clear” that a vote was happening.
    Kenneth Clarke also abstained after being given permission for “logistical family reasons”, but the 73-year-old minister without portfolio is widely expected to lose his job anyway in a forthcoming reshuffle.
    In total, including Liberal Democrats and a Downing Street adviser, 10 members of the Government are recorded as not having voted.
    Mr Cameron is expected to announce a series of changes as soon as next week, with the position of Sir George Young, the Chief Whip, also under scrutiny.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10277598/Ministers-face-sack-over-Syria-shambles.html
  • Options

Second, though, this highlights Cameron's biggest weakness and the one he has GOT to sort out. He's a posh boy, surrounded by posh boys. He desperately needs to get some working class rough and toughies around him and in the whips office: people who will stand for no nonsense, who will schmooze and threaten in equal measure, who will get the MPs behind Cameron. And it really matters because Mlliband is vulnerable. The next election is still there for the taking as an outright win, but Cameron MUST get some down-and-dirty types close in now.

That is not quite the solution to not quite the problem. There is, ironically, something decidedly Cameroonian about that analysis, though -- it's all the backbenchers' fault so we need to send in the whips.

Really, the trouble has the same root as the omnishambles budget and similar frictions. The Cameroons are socially and politically isolated from their backbenchers and supporters in the country. The problem is not to get MPs behind the government but to get the government in front of (and, more crucially, in touch with) its MPs.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If Ed's opposition to involvement in Syria was just an accident as certain newspapers are suggesting then it could be one of the happiest accidents a politician has enjoyed since Galtieri invaded the Falklands and won Thatcher an unlikely 2nd election victory.

Ed it seems has been propelled into the status of international statesman as his lead is stiffening public resistance in both France and the US where the public were glued to the HoC debate. The Americans in particular are growing tired of their government's continual resort to war.

Who'd have thought it! Our Ed on American telly......
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Re the airbrushing of Clegg - I think I got Paddy's statement on Twitter about 20x = and had no idea what Nick actually backed.

He was totally eclipsed - probably a good outcome if an odd one.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    janemerrick23: UK Doctor who witnessed aftermath of Aleppo playground attack says "the world has failed Syria". Invites @Ed_Miliband to Syria

janemerrick23: Dr's testimony is moving, shuddering stuff on @BBCNewsnight now.

iainmartin1: Bernard HL from Paris on Newsnight right now making non-interventionists look like a bunch of pillocks.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,892
    Eton has a long and illustrious history of providing top-class soldiers.

Take this example:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9646988/British-officer-killed-in-green-on-blue-attack-was-true-gentleman.html

Prince Harry is another example. So (ahem) is Simon Mann.

It's not like you to make such an unworthy attack.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scott_P said:

janemerrick23: UK Doctor who witnessed aftermath of Aleppo playground attack says "the world has failed Syria". Invites @Ed_Miliband to Syria

janemerrick23: Dr's testimony is moving, shuddering stuff on @BBCNewsnight now.

iainmartin1: Bernard HL from Paris on Newsnight right now making non-interventionists look like a bunch of pillocks.

Every time interventionists make a moral case that doesn't include the consequences of letting the heart-eaters win they prove they're not interested in the moral case.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited August 2013
    The glue that binds them is the Bullingdon Club, not Eton.

Kids sent to Eton do not have a say in the matter, those who choose to join the Bullingdon do.

Take this example:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9646988/British-officer-killed-in-green-on-blue-attack-was-true-gentleman.html

• Options
    @Jessop

"Eton has a long and illustrious history of providing top-class soldiers."

The Bullingdon club has nothing to do with Eton. It's for the louche affluent power hungry students of Oxford.
  • Options
    I've just re-read Quentin Letts' piece and its rather good.

"And what he did not say was that the same Commons crushed Mr Miliband’s own amendment, which was so similar to the main Government motion that the two of them could well be used in a ‘spot the difference’ children’s game. The phrase ‘children’s game’ is apt. What we have here is a Leader of the Labour Party who has skipped and giggled and gleefully footled about with matters of the highest politics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2407488/Ed-Miliband-slippery-hypocrite-trust-says-QUENTIN-LETTS.html#ixzz2dWcqg5aI

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Rereading Goodbye to all that, Robert Graves on the 1st World War. They weren't allowed to call the gas we used, gas but "the accessory"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Plato

"I've just re-read Quentin Letts' piece and its rather good."

How many times can the same piece be posted on one thread?

Good bit on Ed's conk didn't you think?
  • Options
    Old Labour

"Mr Miliband has said that it is right that Britain and the US make their own decisions about how to respond to the situation in Syria. “America has got to take its own judgment about what’s right for America, but Britain also has to take its own judgment about where its national interests lie and how we should be acting,” he said."

One of the most sensible and popular things he's ever likely to say
  • Options
    I see when you submit a comment after Hodge's second article about his leaving the Labour Party that a pop up informs you that all comments await moderation. It is the first I have known the Telegraph to do that.

The paper seems OK with posters advocating the stringing up our political leaders, but wee Danny seems squeamish about anything too critical being written about him.
  • Options
    There is not exactly an Adanauer or de Gaulle waiting in the wings to take over in Syria if the government falls.
    Plato said:
  • Options

I see when you submit a comment after Hodge's second article about his leaving the Labour Party that a pop up informs you that all comments await moderation. It is the first I have known the Telegraph to do that.

The paper seems OK with posters advocating the stringing up our political leaders, but wee Danny seems squeamish about anything too critical being written about him.

TBF, Mr Hodges usually always allows comments under his articles - Damian Thompson less so. Tim Stanley is given a load of crap by EDL/BNPers even if he writes a TV review.
  • Options
    EdM writes in the Guardian...

I believe Britain can still make a difference in Syria

Our future global position lies neither in turning in on itself, nor rushing into conflict, but in a hard-headed multilateralism... http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/30/britain-still-difference-syria?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato said:

"And what he did not say was that the same Commons crushed Mr Miliband’s own amendment, which was so similar to the main Government motion that the two of them could well be used in a ‘spot the difference’ children’s game. The phrase ‘children’s game’ is apt. What we have here is a Leader of the Labour Party who has skipped and giggled and gleefully footled about with matters of the highest politics.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2407488/Ed-Miliband-slippery-hypocrite-trust-says-QUENTIN-LETTS.html#ixzz2dWcqg5aI

@Plato

Having just caught up with last night's threads, noticed the picture of the Miliband brothers in the Letts piece. It struck me that both their faces and countenances showed hints of twistedness and of insincerity. Often the face reveals the true nature of the heart.

• Options
    Understandably given his political leanings David skirts over the spectacularly poor way in which this whole issue was handled by Number 10. The Telegraph is less squeamish:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10276370/Syria-the-finger-of-blame-for-David-Camerons-Commons-defeat.html
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    It is slowly dawning on the lefties that Thursday s vote seriously weakened the West, degraded the UK and gave strength to Assad...well done
  • Options
    @Financier

"Having just caught up with last night's threads, noticed the picture of the Miliband brothers in the Letts piece. It struck me that both their faces and countenances showed hints of twistedness and of insincerity. Often the face reveals the true nature of the heart."

NURSE!
  • Options
    To be fair, though, David's third from last paragraph does set out the Labour position pretty neatly and highlights the key difference between the Labour motion and the government one. Before intervening in a civil war in the most explosive geo-political region on earth it is vital to have fully weighed up and understood the consequences of doing so. Ithe government gave no indication it had done this. It was a huge, gaping hole in its approach.
  • Options
    Nail hits head. From the Hodges article.

"Miliband represents the apotheosis of “Adviser Culture”. He approaches any issue in precisely the same way he did when working for his mentor, Gordon Brown: he assesses problems, identifies solutions, then presents them for discussion and debate. He’s very good it. What he cannot grasp is that as leader of a major political party, it’s no longer enough to put forward a suite of options; he has to select one.

You could see this in the Commons. Miliband wasn’t speaking to the chamber, but trying to brief it. He seemed perplexed when Sir Malcolm Rifkind asked what his own position on military intervention actually was. People needed time to consider all the options, he said. Why would anyone seriously want to take a decision now? He may as well have added, “Or tomorrow. Or ever.”

It’s an approach he believes serves him well. Present him with any major issue, and he will attempt to manoeuvre himself so he is equidistant from each competing perspective. He believes in a welfare cap, but not in actually cutting anyone’s welfare. He believes in sticking to George Osborne’s spending limits, except for those projects where he thinks spending more money would help. Yesterday he tried to explain how he believes in intervening in Syria, but not in too much intervention. And not yet.
  • Options

Kids sent to Eton do not have a say in the matter, those who choose to join the Bullingdon do.

Take this example:

Yep, fair enough, Mea culpa; blame not enough coffee.

So do you have any evidence that Bullingdon Club members do not, and have not historically, gone into the armed forces?
  • Options
    @AndyJS

"I hope the Little Englanders are pleased now"

Are they the imperialists who believe we should invade small counries to spread our wisdom
    or those who think we shouldn't involve ourselves in other countries affairs?
  • Options
    My point is, is that the individuals featured in the article chose to join the Bullingdon Club rather than put their lives on the line.

I do not know members of the Bullingdon Club, but I have met members of various Miners/Social Clubs who have served.

Take this example:

So do you have any evidence that Bullingdon Club members do not, and have not historically, gone into the armed forces?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

To be fair, though, David's third from last paragraph does set out the Labour position pretty neatly and highlights the key difference between the Labour motion and the government one. Before intervening in a civil war in the most explosive geo-political region on earth it is vital to have fully weighed up and understood the consequences of doing so. The government gave no indication it had done this. It was a huge, gaping hole in its approach.

Indeed. But it's also a gaping hole shared in the approach of anyone else who favours limited air- or missile-strikes. If the difference between the government and opposition is based not on outcomes or inputs but on the level of evidence required to trigger action then they both share this failing.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Surely, if you need to do something positive in Syria, you first seek out the good guys (if any), and support them, rather than splat the bad guys which will help all on the opposite side, including those who are already too powerful. I'd sort of assumed the Yanks were already doing that. Everyone is choosing sides.

If Sarin is the issue, supply atropine on a major scale.

I suppose cruise missiles are more eye-catching, but you can always save them for Pyongyang.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    It's the people of Britain that will have lost on Thursday. Not because the outcome of the vote went against their wishes; it didn't, but because the British people have been losing out to governments and political parties with their own agendas against the long term interests of the nation for short term gains, either ideological or partizan in other ways, ever since WW2.

Can we as a people redress this great imbalance? Only by kicking out the Lab/Lib/Con party and voting for something very different. A start, and only a start, can be made by voting UKIP at all opportunities. It is the best, indeed the only chance, at present, to halt the decline of the British or English, if you prefer it, as a nation.
  • Options
    And it was a crass point - people join all sorts of clubs and societies.

They chose to go to university instead of join up at 18. Indeed, by the same mark your accusation could fit almost everyone who chooses to attend university, and indeed the majority of the population who have never served. Except many people join up after uni - indeed, the army used to sponsor some people through uni (I assume they still do). (*)

So you have no evidence for your assertion.

Your comment was just stupid class warfare. "Oooh, how can I bring the Bullingdon Club into this, and make them sound like cowards!"

Contemptible.

I could ask how many members of the CU Labour Club fought in Iraq.

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/labourclub/

(*) Ah, yes. http://www.army.mod.uk/join/20137.aspx

My point is, is that the individuals featured in the article chose to join the Bullingdon Club rather than put their lives on the line.

I do not know members of the Bullingdon Club, but I have met members of various Miners/Social Clubs who have served.

Take this example:

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Roger,

"Are they the imperialists who believe we should invade small countries to spread our wisdom?"

When it comes to "spreading our wisdom", we're all imperialists.

In the 19th century, it was bibles, in the 21st century, it seems to be gay rights (Africa, Russia), female education (Afghanistan), or democracy (everywhere). All on the basis, that we know best, and we're doing them a favour. Although the "invasion" is selective.

At least, recognise the hypocrisy.
  • Options
    The usual sound article from DH and quite a contrast to the keyboard warmongering which Eagles was engaging in on the previous thread.
  • Options
    DH

Thank you for a balanced and considered piece - a contrast to some of the recent late-night threads.

Watching John Kerry last night, he either has fantastic on-the-ground intelligence or was flying a huge kite.

The USA often acts as if they are still trying to win the wild West (of USA) and often try to be quickest on the draw when dealing with matters of foreign policy, as shown by their track record.

The world, especially the Muslim part, is rapidly changing and extremely complex and does not think, believe and react in the same way as those who advise Obama. So it may be best not to follow the USA's lead until they wise-up more.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Plato said:

EdM writes in the Guardian...

I believe Britain can still make a difference in Syria

No, that ship sailed on Thursday night. It's clear that people in this country want nothing to do with the Middle East.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeK said:

It's the people of Britain that will have lost on Thursday. Not because the outcome of the vote went against their wishes; it didn't, but because the British people have been losing out to governments and political parties with their own agendas against the long term interests of the nation for short term gains, either ideological or partizan in other ways, ever since WW2.

Can we as a people redress this great imbalance? Only by kicking out the Lab/Lib/Con party and voting for something very different. A start, and only a start, can be made by voting UKIP at all opportunities. It is the best, indeed the only chance, at present, to halt the decline of the British or English, if you prefer it, as a nation.

UKIP are the modern day party of appeasement slavishly following majority public opinion in the hope of a polling boost whether it is in the long term interests of Britain or not . .
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The irony of Thursday evening's vote is that it confirmed that apart from having nuclear weapons, the UK is a second level country and neither France nor we should be permanent members of the UN now. Time the UN was reformed.

I continue to believe the domestic effect has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Few people now read papers or watch the TV news. David Cameron lost the vote but he dared to do what Blair failed to do, he let Parliament decide.

Just watched Dan Hodges on SKY explaining his resignation from the Labour party after nearly 30 years. His media comments about Bland the Younger are not going to get any better for the Labour leadership.
  • Options

MikeK said:

UKIP are the modern day party of appeasement slavishly following majority public opinion in the hope of a polling boost whether it is in the long term interests of Britain or not . .
    Rubbish, Mark! UKIP lead the agenda.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

MikeK said:

But when Charles Kennedy did exactly the same over Iraq, it wasn't appeasement it was a highly principled attempt to gain votes.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @Plato

"Nail hits head. From the Hodges article."

I don't think many who wish Labour well will be disappointed by those few paragraphs from Hodges article. It just reads like an article from a Telegraph Tory writer and a rather vanilla one at that. Without his 'honest broker' status he becomes pointless
  • Options
    He's made quite a splash, I heard him on LBC

The irony of Thursday evening's vote is that it confirmed that apart from having nuclear weapons, the UK is a second level country and neither France nor we should be permanent members of the UN now. Time the UN was reformed.

I continue to believe the domestic effect has been grossly exaggerated by the media. Few people now read papers or watch the TV news. David Cameron lost the vote but he dared to do what Blair failed to do, he let Parliament decide.

Just watched Dan Hodges on SKY explaining his resignation from the Labour party after nearly 30 years. His media comments about Bland the Younger are not going to get any better for the Labour leadership.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There's a lot of sense in John Rentoul's piece from yesterday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ignore-talk-of-camerons-humiliation-its-public-opinion-on-syria-that-really-matters-8791051.html

He manages to be nicer than most to both David Cameron and Ed Miliband.

My only addendum is that he correctly sums up the public mood today. What will the public mood be in six months' time on this subject?
  • Options
    tim said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

@Plato

Having just caught up with last night's threads, noticed the picture of the Miliband brothers in the Letts piece. It struck me that both their faces and countenances showed hints of twistedness and of insincerity. Often the face reveals the true nature of the heart.

You need help
    I can tell from your posts
    But I am not posting myself into insanity.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

@MikeK

We all know where you stand, but you are beginning to sound a bit like tim
  • Options
    edited August 2013

To be fair only a complete simpleton would take a joke like Hodges seriously. It's about as wise as basing the arguments for a Syrian attack on the justifications used by his hero Blair.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I think Ed is definitely not the loser,if not the winner from what`s happened.It has shown his principal opponent for No.10 to be weak,cavalier and on the wrong side of public opinion.He came across as strong and has united his party and supporters behind him,especially the 2010 Lib Dems who left Labour because of the Iraq war.
    A couple of things could go wrong for him though.Assad could gas a massive number of people and put him in a difficult position and the Americans could snub him like Reagan snubbed Kinnock.But Obama is in a weak position too as of today,given he`s forced to declare it will a `limited intervention` after putting out unclassified information given the force of public opinion in the U.S
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I see some of our anti-Tory PBers are on their favourite hobby horse of the government being all posh boys. Strange they never look in a mirror and see all the posh boys and girls sitting on the LibDem or Labour front benches or don't they count? At least the Tories don't pretend to be working class when they clearly are not.

No-one could ever call the Foreign, Transport or Communities Secretaries "posh boys". No-one could ever call Ed Balls, Chucka or Harriet Harman anything other than from a privileged background. I still find it funny that Balls joined the Conservative Club at University.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It is not a crass point at all. I doubt if there was national service without exceptions that many of the armchair warriors would be so keen on military intervention if there own children were to be put on the front line.

And that is a criticism I would aim at Tony Blair.

They chose to go to university instead of join up at 18. Indeed, by the same mark your accusation could fit almost everyone who chooses to attend university, and indeed the majority of the population who have never served. Except many people join up after uni - indeed, the army used to sponsor some people through uni (I assume they still do). (*)

Your comment was just stupid class warfare. "Oooh, how can I bring the Bullingdon Club into this, and make them sound like cowards!"

Contemptible.

• Options
    From that Telegraph article:

' A backbencher who attended says: “The Prime Minister spent a lot of time talking about how a vote against the Government on this issue was playing into Labour’s hands and one person pointed out that this wasn’t about Labour – it was about Syria.” '

Perhaps one of the cheerleaders can tell us yet again how it was only Labour which was playing party politics.

• Options
    Financier said:

MikeK said:

@MikeK

Vote UKIP! EUSSR!! LibLabConspiracy!!! Quisling Cameron!!!! I'm all for robust debate but some Kippers make Dan Hodges' dislike of EdM look varied.
  • Options
    Quite - they're mostly all cut from the same middle class cloth - there's nothing wrong with that, but pretending to be what you aren't is just embarrassing posturing.

I see some of our anti-Tory PBers are on their favourite hobby horse of the government being all posh boys. Strange they never look in a mirror and see all the posh boys and girls sitting on the LibDem or Labour front benches or don't they count? At least the Tories don't pretend to be working class when they clearly are not.

No-one could ever call the Foreign, Transport or Communities Secretaries "posh boys". No-one could ever call Ed Balls, Chucka or Harriet Harman anything other than from a privileged background. I still find it funny that Balls joined the Conservative Club at University.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    edited August 2013
    Driving home yesterday listening to Drive was an uncomfortable experience for Ed. First we had a very strong speech from John Kerry which frankly made the argument we should wait for supposedly compelling evidence look simply ridiculous.

Then we had, for the BBC, a surprisingly vigorous interview of Ed himself by John Pienaar where the BBC played voice pops of how people felt ashamed for their country, pushed the Paddy line and queried why we abandoning 100 years of opposition to the use of chemical weapons and 50 years of the special relationship. He was also accused of lying to the PM. Ed stuck to his guns (well not guns but you know what I mean) but it was not comfortable by any means.

Then we had John Simpson explaining dismissively that you simply could not punish someone for the use of chemical weapons in 6 months time, that time was of the essence and if we were going to do anything it really had to be now.

Despite being very far from keen on intervention myself I have to say it made the arguments for intervention quite well. Ed's line that we should still be involved in seeking a political settlement seemed frankly pathetic. Why anyone should take our views seriously now was not explained.

I think the polling pattern referred to downthread is indicative of a rallying behind the troops and it is difficult to see that effect if our troops are not involved but it is possible the publics' views on all of this may well be more volatile than seemed likely when the vote was taken.
  • Options
    "I think Ed is definitely not the loser,if not the winner from what`s happened."

I think you may find this rather hard to sustain when the next set of party and personal ratings polls come in.
  • Options
    Hodges is on Radio 5 with Frazer Nelson. To anyone not knowing who they were listening to would think Nelson was a journalist trying to put events into a context and Hodges sounds a committed Tory MP.

Why did anyone think he was ever Labour?
  • Options
    From your second link

The Army Undergraduate Bursary is worth between £6000 and £8000, depending on the length of your university course.....

I shouldn't think 8k is an amount that will bother the individuals featured in the Mail article.

It is not a crass point at all. I doubt if there was national service without exceptions that many of the armchair warriors would be so keen on military intervention if there own children were to be put on the front line.

And that is a criticism I would aim at Tony Blair.

Contemptible.

• Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    "Decide in haste repent at leisure"
    Such words will haunt David Cameron.The rush to recall Parliament (presumably on an Obama timescale led to a lost vote which could well a victory which could well have been a victory a few days later.
    First of all the haste led to both the public and MP's feeling they were being bounced into a decision and that feeling provoke sa strong anti reaction ,so Cameron had not learnt the lessons of Iraq.
    The haste also interfered with the normal whipping process for a crucial vote.No doubt it was extra difficult because MP,s were returning from holiday but for the whips get the numbers so wrong was unforgivable.Could a little Etonian arrogance have also played a part?
    And finally the rush meant critical evidence such as yesterday's statement by Kerry plus further media coverage and initial feedback from UN weapons inspectors could have contributed to a different result on Monday vote.
    Overall a powerful demonstration that the cock up theory of event handling is alive and well.
    However the result does have the benefit of sending a signal to the US that the special relationship is not a one way street of providing a fig leaf for US military action
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There's a lot of sense in John Rentoul's piece from yesterday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/ignore-talk-of-camerons-humiliation-its-public-opinion-on-syria-that-really-matters-8791051.html

He manages to be nicer than most to both David Cameron and Ed Miliband.

My only addendum is that he correctly sums up the public mood today. What will the public mood be in six months' time on this subject?

Most probably it will be either:

"What's it to do with us." or "Thank God we didn't get involved."
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The PM could have left it until Monday. What was the rush that the debate could not have taken place 4 days later?
    tim said:

Camerons claim that he did all he could in the national interest is totally destroyed by the fact that he didnt even bother to get ministers on his own side through the lobbies

@tom_watson: Alan Duncan: "logistically could not get back in time." I got back from Melbourne. Where was he, the moon? http://t.co/ahoudhCeXU

And there are many more cases similar, there's no point spouting about how important it is on one hand while behaving as an incompetent amateur on the other.
    What was that line about him and the brewery?

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

"I think Ed is definitely not the loser,if not the winner from what`s happened."

I think you may find this rather hard to sustain when the next set of party and personal ratings polls come in.

I would be disappointed if there`s no improvement in his ratings in the short-term.But long term given his tendency to retreat into his hole for a few months,they`ll probably slide back to present levels.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Financier said:

MikeK said:

@MikeK

You can say what you like about me but please don't compare me to tim who sits 24/7 in front of his computer and spouts bullying or whining drivel.

I'm only saying or repeating what iIthink and the only people I have attacked on PB are politicians of various parties. I have never instigated an attack on a PB contributer, although I have replied to attacks on me.
  • Options

To be fair, though, David's third from last paragraph does set out the Labour position pretty neatly and highlights the key difference between the Labour motion and the government one. Before intervening in a civil war in the most explosive geo-political region on earth it is vital to have fully weighed up and understood the consequences of doing so. The government gave no indication it had done this. It was a huge, gaping hole in its approach.

Indeed. But it's also a gaping hole shared in the approach of anyone else who favours limited air- or missile-strikes. If the difference between the government and opposition is based not on outcomes or inputs but on the level of evidence required to trigger action then they both share this failing.

One of the key points Miliband made was that Labour could not support the government position because the consequences of intervention had not been properly thought-through. And it looks as if this was a point he made unequivocally to Cameron prior to the debate too. As the Telegraph makes clear, Cameron knew Labour's position before he went to the Commons. What he did not know was the position on the government's own backbenches.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    dr_spyn said:

MikeK said:

But when Charles Kennedy did exactly the same over Iraq, it wasn't appeasement it was a highly principled attempt to gain votes.
    When Charles Kennedy led the opposition to the Iraq war it was not the majority opinion of the voters as a whole though it did become so .
    There are too many on here and particularly in UKIP who seem to believe in government by opinion poll but the measure of a great politician is to convince the voters that his policy is correct and change public opinion to agree with him . Unfortunately today we do not seem politicians who have enough conviction to even try .
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Which, shows you have no understanding of polling. Stick to imaginary racism, it's more your forte.
  • Options
    tim said:

rogerh said:

"Decide in haste repent at leisure"
    Such words will haunt David Cameron.The rush to recall Parliament (presumably on an Obama timescale led to a lost vote which could well a victory which could well have been a victory a few days later.
    First of all the haste led to both the public and MP's feeling they were being bounced into a decision and that feeling provoke sa strong anti reaction ,so Cameron had not learnt the lessons of Iraq.
    The haste also interfered with the normal whipping process for a crucial vote.No doubt it was extra difficult because MP,s were returning from holiday but for the whips get the numbers so wrong was unforgivable.Could a little Etonian arrogance have also played a part?
    And finally the rush meant critical evidence such as yesterday's statement by Kerry plus further media coverage and initial feedback from UN weapons inspectors could have contributed to a different result on Monday vote.
    Overall a powerful demonstration that the cock up theory of event handling is alive and well.
    However the result does have the benefit of sending a signal to the US that the special relationship is not a one way street of providing a fig leaf for US military action

Good post.
    And the Cameroons have no answer to any of it.

They do. It's to blame Ed Miliband. As we know with them, it's always someone else's fault.

• Options
    Roger said:

Hodges is on Radio 5 with Frazer Nelson. To anyone not knowing who they were listening to would think Nelson was a journalist trying to put events into a context and Hodges sounds a committed Tory MP.

Why did anyone think he was ever Labour?

Hodges was only ever Labour because his mother was a Labour politician.

Still its got him a nice career hasn't it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    SMukesh said:

It has shown his principal opponent for No.10 to be weak,cavalier and on the wrong side of public opinion.

Yes, all the best leaders are slaves to public opinion.
  • Options
    There is set view of the tory press ; then there is the public reaction. The latter, which does not conform to the view of the likes of Dan Hodges and Quentin Letts, will be showing up in the polls shortly.
  • Options
    *the* set view, that should say.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    antifrank said:
    Agree - his final sentence sums it up well:

" Most people don’t care about the “humiliation” of losing a vote in the House of Commons. They will say, “Thank goodness for that.”

The US & France will do "something" and nothing much will change- apart from pictures of dead children caused by Franco-American missiles the Assad regime will tirelessly peddle.

Cameron needs to get in touch with his own back benchers - and Miliband needs to pray nightly that Assad does not use Sarin again.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    It was certainly odd how Cameron approached the Syria vote in way that invited comparison with Iraq. The drama, the urgency, the failure at the UN, the dossier. Everything seemed designed to make the comparison.

You would have thought you would have approached this in as different a way as possible.

The only novel point was trying to build cross party consensus in a vote by by calling the LotO a f****** c*** etc.
  • Options
    tim said:

David's piece is a good one

"What happens when he decides to act on that learning? When intervention is unlikely to make things better – and limited air- and missile-strikes wouldn’t – it’s highly probable that they’ll make things worse."

That's the key, I don't see limited attacks having much effect
    If you rule out boots on the ground you have to be prepared to bomb extensively, it took 78 days in the Kosovo campaign.

To do that you need to be sure why you are bombing and be willing to accept the consequences.

So when you're hitting refugee convoys, commuter trains and Chinese embassies by mistake you can clearly explain why helping Al Qaeda is in the interest of the people of Syria and Britain.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    The rush was clearly that the US was initially intending to act this weekend as soon as the weapon inspectors were safely out of the country. Then Obama started dithering so it did not matter too much if the vote was watered down. Then the vote was lost.

I think there is still a complete air of unreality about so much of this debate. Were our 5 tomahawks really supposed to give the UK PM control or even much of a say on what the US President targetted? Were we supposed to be given control of the timing of the exercise on this basis?

As in Iraq the UK was, at best, along for the ride with a right to be informed and occasionally consulted. Expecting any more is wildly unrealistic. If we don't want to play on those terms we don't play. That is our option. In the real world so much of Ed's supposed road map was total fantasy.
  • Options
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak

Reuters: Diplomat says UN chief told permanent security council members analysis of samples from Syria could take two weeks
  • Options

From that Telegraph article:

' A backbencher who attended says: “The Prime Minister spent a lot of time talking about how a vote against the Government on this issue was playing into Labour’s hands and one person pointed out that this wasn’t about Labour – it was about Syria.” '

Perhaps one of the cheerleaders can tell us yet again how it was only Labour which was playing party politics.

The Telegraph lays bare the utter incompetence of the Number 10 operation, as well as the muddled thinking and the hubris. It was a botched job of epic proportions. And when push came to shove the national interest did not come into it. The plea to wavering MPs was don't play into Labour's hands. Yuck.

This discussion has been closed.