Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why EdM thinks he’s on to a winner with energy prices

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why EdM thinks he’s on to a winner with energy prices

Thanks to James Plunkett of the Energy Foundation and George Eaton of the New Statesman for highlighting this.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    That is hilarious. Ask people what they want, and then promise to pass a law saying they can have it. Job done. I'd never realised that being a party leader and winning elections were so easy.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited September 2013
    FPT
    Bobajob said:

Plato said:
    Just so we are clear, is this

a) good for Ed
    b) bad for Ed
    c) a disaster for Ed

When the price failed to fall yesterday afternoon was it

a) good for Ed
    b) bad for Ed
    c) a disaster for Ed

The impact on Ed is not significant, Bobajob.

What is important is the impact on the country, the energy industry and its investors, and energy consumers.

What it tells us is that:

- investors in the future development of the UK's energy infrastructure and industry have decided to sell their holdings and invest their money elsewhere;

- the energy industry will find it more difficult and costly to raise funds investment funds in future;

- the rising cost and diminishing availability of investment funds will retard the development of the UK's energy generation and distribution infrastructure thereby reducing quality of service and increasing risk of interrupted supply;

- consumers will end up paying more for energy supplies than they otherwise would have done, due to constrained supply resulting from reduced investment;

- taxpayers will end up paying more as the government is forced to step in to provide investment funds which are no longer available at acceptable costs from the financial markets;

- public sector borrowing and expenses will increase due to government interventions into the energy market.

Pleased to see though that you are solely worried about the impact on Ed.

Seems thoroughly patriotic in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Time for Cameron to reduce, and in some cases eliminate, environmental taxes on energy development and supply.

If the public prefers reduced prices to environmental protection, politicians should respond to the public's wishes.
  • Options
    Well that seems uncontroversial:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/428271/We-ll-slash-cost-of-living-vows-George-Osborne-in-pledge-on-living-costs

"He [George Osborne] added: “Of course, there are important improvements we can make to the scale of energy and water bills, the cost of housing, the fees paid for everyday financial services, the expense of rail and road travel.”

The Chancellor said Britain was poorer today because of economic decisions by Labour while in government. And he warned switching to a Plan B would “add hugely to the cost of living”."

So I wonder what will be unveiled next week, at which point we'll see numerous voltes faces on both sides of the fence about the appropriateness of populism in this area.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2013
    On newspaper and tv news sites for comments on the Mlilband plan freezing energy cost,it seems miliband is on to something,even a lot of tory supporters backing ed for what I have seen.

Can we now be seeing labour up above 40% in the next few polls and staying there ? the tories better be careful how they handle this,the british public are angry with these energy companies and for me,ed's played a blinder.

It's up to the tories to show how ed's new policy would be a disaster and have they own plans that would help the british people with the cost of energy bills and the cost of living.
  • Options
    Following on from my comments yesterday, the third thing Miliband's energy price freeze pledge reminds me of is the £50 per year bung for South West Water customers that George Osborne introduced.

Fiddling around with utility bills in an attempt to assuage people's anger at how fast they've risen since privatisation is hardly a novel idea in British politics.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    It is difficult to reduce/control the costs of world commodity prices, be it food or energy and only a fool would promise that (unless the UK was self-sufficient in both).

However, it is easy to eliminate unnecessary taxes on both areas. (Energy/Green taxes and VAT where applied).

However, reducing taxes on income and on employment would mean that people would be able to bear more easily fluctuations in world commodity prices.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

So I wonder what will be unveiled next week, at which point we'll see numerous voltes faces on both sides of the fence about the appropriateness of populism in this area.

It reminds me of the political theatre around Inheritance Tax in 2007 - worth remembering that for all some consider it derailed the election that never was, Osborne hasn't managed to push it up to £1 million after all.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527

On newspaper and tv news sites for comments on the Mlilband plan freezing energy cost,it seems miliband is on to something,even a lot of tory supporters backing ed for what I have seen.

Can we now be seeing labour up above 40% in the next few polls and staying there ? the tories better be careful how they handle this,the british public are angry with these energy companies and for me,ed's played a blinder.

It's up to the tories to show how ed's new policy would be a disaster and have they own plans that would help the british people with the cost of energy bills and the cost of living.

They more or less have a week to think something up to steal the limelight from the policy. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

That is hilarious. Ask people what they want, and then promise to pass a law saying they can have it. Job done. I'd never realised that being a party leader and winning elections were so easy.

The electorate have always been susceptible to bribes. I was expecting one from the Coalition pre-2015. I still am.

But this is taking it to dangerously irresponsible levels.

That said, the Cons had better play this one carefully. It is popular and that means they are better off with a "you can't trust Labour" meme than arguing the intricacies of UK's energy policy.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    FPT @Bobajob

I await the day when we find it impossible to find an energy company willing to service a market of 60m in a wealthy country. As I say, by the same token we'd have no-one running our railways as we intervene in pricing there too.

Rail intervention good
    Energy intervention bad

You miss the point, again.

Private sector energy companies can only service a market if financial investors are willing to provide them with funds.

When investors decline to invest and/or sell their shares, the consequence is that the government has to step in to provide funding. This increases government borrowing, reduces financial discipline and investment efficiency, increases taxes and pushes up prices.

Intervention exists in the railway industry only insofar as the markets are unwilling to provide funding, i.e where there is no prospect of a commercial return on investment. It is a necessary evil.

You want that necessary evil to be visited upon the energy industry too?
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

They more or less have a week to think something up to steal the limelight from the policy. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
    Have labour let this policy out to early ?

• Options

antifrank said:

It reminds me of the political theatre around Inheritance Tax in 2007 - worth remembering that for all some consider it derailed the election that never was, Osborne hasn't managed to push it up to £1 million after all.
    It did scare Brown into allowing the allowance to be passed between spouses though, which effectively doubled the band to £670k or so.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Nonsense. They have 20 months to point out the obvious, that Ed Miliband is a complete twerp whose idea of a policy is to ask focus groups what freebies they'd like and then say he'll give it to them, irrespective of the consequences (in this case killing off desperately-needed investment), or the practicality of actually delivering.

If you really think voters are that stupid, then good luck.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

I'm sure the tories are already well aware of the cost of living being a big election issue, so I'm sure they will have been thinking about things already for some time.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Depends what happens to it really(If it all falls apart, well yes). There are obvioulsy going to be more policies drip fed as the election gets nearer, but they, like any party will release the ones they think are vote winners further out to increase their exposure.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

Nonsense. They have 20 months to point out the obvious, that Ed Miliband is a complete twerp whose idea of a policy is to ask focus groups what freebies they'd like and then say he'll give it to them, irrespective of the consequences (in this case killing off desperately-needed investment), or the practicality of actually delivering.

Not stupid,bloody angry with these rip off energy companies in they never ending bill rises.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    RedRag1 said:

RedRag1 said:

Depends what happens to it really(If it all falls apart, well yes). There are obvioulsy going to be more policies drip fed as the election gets nearer, but they, like any party will release the ones they think are vote winners further out to increase their exposure.
    First, can I thank you on behalf of tim. He really needs this break in Tuscany and I know will come back refreshed.

Secondly, what do you think of the policy?

My views are that in the scheme of things the energy companies will probably suck it up and, taking EdM's lead today, will look for a way to work with him so that there is a voluntary element included (there are already multi-year fixed term deals from utility companies).

However, the consequential increased regulatory and political risk will push up the cost of capital which in turn will affect future investment decisions.
  • Options
    The principal reason for the rise in the cost of living is simply that for decades we have been living way beyond our means and continue to do so.
    The developing countries are deserving of and demanding a bigger slice of the cake which they are belatedly receiving.
    This country and the rest of Western Europe will become a great deal poorer in relative terms over the coming years - get used to the idea.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

RedRag1 said:

One of the best, if not the best, Tory posters goes stark-raving crackers (hopefully temporarily).

Ed Miliband has merely suggested freezing prices on systematically, deliberated overpriced energy for a couple of years, until the regulator can be overhauled. As I read it, he is not launching Sputnik IV from Doncaster Robin Hood Airport, nor erecting an Islington Wall, nor insisting tractor-makers are nationalised.

There are countless examples of politicians intervening in "markets" (by the way, energy is not a well functioning market – it isn't working for the consumer). Even Ozzy produced a near-perfect £50 bung to punters in the West Country, I read below.

Come back sensible Richard - there are enough Tory nutters on here already.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10068657/Nearly-half-of-consumers-overcharged-for-utilities.html

• Options

RedRag1 said:

I think that could be a very wise criticism of it Tyke. But we shall see.

By the way, I think your analysis below is spot-on. Funny how working class Tories get it.

• Options
    May I refer everyone to philiph's comment on the previous thread? Paraphrasing, (s)he claims that we must help the poorest first, and that would involve dealing with the iniquities of pre-payment meters.

(S)he's bang on.
  • Options
    Does anyone know who decides the dates for the party conferences, or more importantly, which one goes last? Surely, if you go last, you get the advantage of ripping the other two parties latest policies apart.
  • Options
    Cost of living will undoubtedly be a major theme running from now until the election and beyond. However, we're likely to see two very different approaches to tackling it, and overlying that debate is the one about delivery - competence and practicality.

Whether or not the Tories were planning big policy announcements before this last week, there'll almost certainly be one or two now, to counter Miliband's gambit. I'd also expect them to be the sort of things the Lib Dems will find hard to support, to ensure that they can't be implemented before the election (and hence the public will have a choice at the election rather than being able to bag both). Green Tax cuts might well be high up the list, contrasting with the statist, interventionist approach Labour's taking.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Whatever the rights and wrongs of the energy price freeze, nobody seems to be commenting on how much it will actually save people.

The figure quoted is £120.

Now the transferrable marriage tax allowance to be announced in a few weeks is going to save those affected £150 and it's been described as so trivial it's not worth bothering with.

Yet the energy price freeze (even assuming it happens) will save people even less.

Yes, it is very eye catching. Yes, it will be very popular. But how big a deal is this actually?

Cameron could potentially announce a Council Tax freeze for 2 or 3 more years from 2015 which would be worth just as much.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    antifrank said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/428271/We-ll-slash-cost-of-living-vows-George-Osborne-in-pledge-on-living-costs

"He [George Osborne] added: “Of course, there are important improvements we can make to the scale of energy and water bills, the cost of housing, the fees paid for everyday financial services, the expense of rail and road travel.”

The Chancellor said Britain was poorer today because of economic decisions by Labour while in government. And he warned switching to a Plan B would “add hugely to the cost of living”."

Much of Labour's tactics on energy prices are to pre-empt an inevitable move by Osborne to reduce administrative and regulatory price rises in the run-up to the election. Energy and fuel prices were an obvious target for tax reductions/pricing moderation. By creating a stink on energy prices Labour can now claim Osborne is responding to their initiative rather than leading.

But Osborne's motives in restraining administrative and regulatory cost increases will have a broader macro-economic goal than crowd pleasing consumers.

Full and sustained economic recovery and, more particularly, the UK continuing to lead its global competitors in both the timing and velocity of recovery, will depend on the country's ability to keep interest rates low for as long as an output gap remains (spare capacity and low productivity).

The biggest threat to sustained low interest rates is consumer price inflation. For this reason any short term fiscal easing adopted by Osborne is more likely to be weighted towards cost deflation than reduction of direct taxes.

As pursuing these macro-economic goals will have the coincident effect of increasing standards of living then Osborne will be able to align his policies with the Conservative Party's political priorities and voter concerns.

It is Osborne not Miliband who is holding the winning cards.

• Options

The principal reason for the rise in the cost of living is simply that for decades we have been living way beyond our means and continue to do so.
    The developing countries are deserving of and demanding a bigger slice of the cake which they are belatedly receiving.
    This country and the rest of Western Europe will become a great deal poorer in relative terms over the coming years - get used to the idea.

Well peter,if the tories have the same thinking as you,then labour will win in 2015,you maybe right but so far labour winning on the cost of living war,that will count a lot when it comes to the GE.
  • Options

May I refer everyone to philiph's comment on the previous thread? Paraphrasing, (s)he claims that we must help the poorest first, and that would involve dealing with the iniquities of pre-payment meters.

(S)he's bang on.

It's right to do something about fuel poverty. It's insane to make fuel cheaper for everyone so that we can boil ourselves to death quicker.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Does anyone know who decides the dates for the party conferences, or more importantly, which one goes last? Surely, if you go last, you get the advantage of ripping the other two parties latest policies apart.

I was wondering that as well. Tradition, perhaps? Am I right in saying the Conservatives are always last?

There must be some arrangement: otherwise there would be absolute chaos, and the media wouldn't want to be in five places at once.
  • Options
    Ref rail regulation, the difference with the energy market is that rail companies have massively more control over their input prices than energy firms. That said, I'm far from convinced that rail regulation is carried out as effectively as it could.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Mr Topping - I actually think the policy is a vote winner and the scare mongering from the Conservatives, their friends across the press and most importantly the energy companies themselves of blackouts plays in to Ed M's hands. It reinforces the picture of Ed M taking on the big companies for the people of the UK to keep their costs down. As said by a number of the less shrill posters on here, it is a very sticky wicket for the coalition, who I assume, wont want to be seen as sticking up for the energy companies, who are very unpopular. A bit of a political masterstroke by Ed M.

The fact that the big six energy companies have stalls at the Conservative conference will not exactly be seen as helpful by the Conservative spin doctors. Not that they knew what was coming this week so couldn't do anything about it anyway.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Here's an idea - it would be very brave and very bold but it just might be the perfect headline grabber for Cameron in response to the energy price freeze.

Rather than saving people £120 as a one off, he'll save everyone £145.50 per year indefinitely - by abolishing the TV licence.

Instead, BBC will be funded centrally by Government grant (advertising / subscription would be too difficult / unpopular).

There will be a significant savings from no longer having any licence fee collection costs and no more prosecutions blocking up the Courts. On top of those he then funds it at a lower level for just "true public service broadcasting" - ie no more spending £22m for the rights to a singing competition format.
  • Options

Ref rail regulation, the difference with the energy market is that rail companies have massively more control over their input prices than energy firms.

An even bigger difference is that the rail system is not faced with a major crisis of having to renew large chunks of the infrastructure in a very tight timescale - in the case of energy, requiring staggering amounts of investment (some £200bn on some estimates). It beggars belief that Miliband could be playing politics with this.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

Mr Topping - I actually think the policy is a vote winner and the scare mongering from the Conservatives, their friends across the press and most importantly the energy companies themselves of blackouts plays in to Ed M's hands. It reinforces the picture of Ed M taking on the big companies for the people of the UK to keep their costs down. As said by a number of the less shrill posters on here, it is a very sticky wicket for the coalition, who I assume, wont want to be seen as sticking up for the energy companies, who are very unpopular. A bit of a political masterstroke by Ed M.

The fact that the big six energy companies have stalls at the Conservative conference will not exactly be seen as helpful by the Conservative spin doctors. Not that they knew what was coming this week so couldn't do anything about it anyway.

It might well be a vote winner. The issue is to highlight the potential downsides of this, and thoroughly check them to see if they stand up. They may or may not do so.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'd be a lot happier if like everything else we buy - we had a choice about greenies stuff. I'm not forced to pay an extra £120pa for anything else I buy because HMG has decided I must subsidise wind farms et al.

If I want to be all Tom and Barbara Good - fine, let me buy my power from a supplier that offers it - as the Coop Bank used to offer *ethical banking* whatever that was or the Body Shop etc.

The market will adapt to alternative energy sources because it must innovate, we don't need to hand it wodges of cash - that just creates wasteful spending. Today we'd be offering subsidises to iceberg ships to make fridges.
    AveryLP said:

Time for Cameron to reduce, and in some cases eliminate, environmental taxes on energy development and supply.

If the public prefers reduced prices to environmental protection, politicians should respond to the public's wishes.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Rather than saving people £120 as a one off, he'll save everyone £145.50 per year indefinitely - by abolishing the TV licence.

Why not do both? Why is everybody so against people having their own money?
  • Options
    On the previous thread Nick Palmer was talking about a pan-EU power grid system. Whilst initially this might seem a good idea it does strike me as a very poor idea when looked at more closely.

One of the great criticisms of the UK power grid is the amount of energy lost from the system. Because of the relatively short distances this runs at about 2.5-3% during high powered transmission with a further 5% lost at local transmission.

On a continental scale such as the United States (or the EU) this is much higher with the high powered grid losing between 6.5 and 7% before the addition of local power losses.

If we truly have a concern about energy resources it strikes me that we should be looking far more at local power generation with the grid only exiting as a backup to the local system. Certainly the idea of a pan EU grid system seems very wrong headed if it could mean us losing 10-12% of all the power generated.
  • Options
    Ha!

I like it :^ )
    MikeL said:

Here's an idea - it would be very brave and very bold but it just might be the perfect headline grabber for Cameron in response to the energy price freeze.

Instead, BBC will be funded centrally by Government grant (advertising / subscription would be too difficult / unpopular).

There will be a significant savings from no longer having any licence fee collection costs and no more prosecutions blocking up the Courts. On top of those he then funds it at a lower level for just "true public service broadcasting" - ie no more spending £22m for the rights to a singing competition format.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Today we'd be offering subsidies to iceberg ships to make fridges.

Let's face it Plato, ordinary people are paying through the nose to salve the consciences of wealthy political elites - here in Britain and elsewhere

On green energy and other things. The EU. Foreign aid. Charity. Media. The list goes on and on.

Thing is, all the main parties are in it together. And Ed may look a little less comfortable if the costs of some of his pet projects are frozen.
  • Options
    Brilliant http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/americas/article3878729.ece

"Senator Ted Cruz’s marathon speech was aimed at President Obama’s reforms to the healthcare system. He is making his lengthy case to deny funding to implement the President’s overhaul of the system, calling it the country’s “biggest jobs killer”.

But nearly six hours into his address he announced to a nearly empty chamber that it was his daughters’ bedtime and he would like to take the opportunity to read to them.

So began his performance of Green Eggs and Ham. When the story finished, Mr Cruz addressed his children directly through the TV. “Brush your teeth, say your prayers, and daddy’s going to be home soon.”

Well, not that soon because the Texan firebrand is still on his feet in Washington..."
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013

If we truly have a concern about energy resources it strikes me that we should be looking far more at local power generation with the grid only exiting as a backup to the local system. Certainly the idea of a pan EU grid system seems very wrong headed if it could mean us losing 10-12% of all the power generated.

I've no idea whether such a grid is a good idea, but I don't think your argument necessarily stacks up. The additional losses on the network might be a price very well worth paying if it allowed access to power which can be generated much more cheaply in certain locations, allowed power stations to run with a more even loading over time (thus improving efficiency), and also improved resilience.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

On the previous thread Nick Palmer was talking about a pan-EU power grid system. Whilst initially this might seem a good idea it does strike me as a very poor idea when looked at more closely.

One of the great criticisms of the UK power grid is the amount of energy lost from the system. Because of the relatively short distances this runs at about 2.5-3% during high powered transmission with a further 5% lost at local transmission.

On a continental scale such as the United States (or the EU) this is much higher with the high powered grid losing between 6.5 and 7% before the addition of local power losses.

What need is a room temperature superconductor
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2013
    RedRag1 said:

How many had stalls and representatives at the Labour conference this week?

Ed Balls seemed happy to don a 'National Grid' sponsored shirt earlier in the week. Perhaps it was a protest of some kind.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6f307ff0-245f-11e3-8905-00144feab7de.html#slide0
  • Options

Ah, what we were talking about is a high-voltage DC network (HVDC). HVDC is much more efficient wrt transmission losses than AC. The technology's there and well-understood - HVDC is currently often used for underwater cable links. The losses are about 3.5% per 1,000km according to Wiki. Transmitting power over a long distance, even with losses, to allow load balancing may well be less costly than having installed local baseload capability.

AIUI, AC is better for short-distance transmission; DC is better for very long distance or underwater transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-voltage_direct_current

Maybe Bell will get the last laugh over Tesla ...
  • Options

Ref rail regulation, the difference with the energy market is that rail companies have massively more control over their input prices than energy firms.

An even bigger difference is that the rail system is not faced with a major crisis of having to renew large chunks of the infrastructure in a very tight timescale - in the case of energy, requiring staggering amounts of investment (some £200bn on some estimates). It beggars belief that Miliband could be playing politics with this.
    Well, Richard, we've seen that Miliband is more than prepared to play politics with the country's international security and its foreign policy and relations with our closest international allies.

Hardly surprising that he is prepared to place the future of the country's economy in jeopardy.

• Options
    " ...There is limited internal competition and virtually no threat of new competitors entering. The energy companies in turn operate within an enormously complex regulatory system designed to encourage investment in infrastructure, comply with environmental and other commitments, and permit a return to their investors. That system is not working very well, and there is much that could be improved by careful review and reshaping of incentives by government.

But hold on a second: how did we get here? Might the 13 years of a Labour government have had anything to do with it? What about the Competition Act 1998, the Utilities Act 2000, the Enterprise Act 2002 and the Energy Acts of 2004, 2008 and 2010, all passed under Messrs Blair and Brown? Might they have helped to push up energy prices?

Come to that, didn’t Ofgem remove price controls between 2000 and 2002 under a Labour government? And wasn’t the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change in 2008-10 one E. Miliband? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall these radical policy ideas coming from him when he had the chance to put them into practice. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10333499/Ed-Miliband-has-given-us-a-masterclass-in-dishonest-populism.html
  • Options
    ''Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall these radical policy ideas coming from him when he had the chance to put them into practice.''

Why don;t the energy companies employ an ad agency to spell all this out? give the public the truth?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2013

Ah, what we were talking about is a high-voltage DC network (HVDC). HVDC is much more efficient wrt transmission losses than AC. The technology's there and well-understood - HVDC is currently often used for underwater cable links. The losses are about 3.5% per 1,000km according to Wiki. Transmitting power over a long distance, even with losses, to allow load balancing may well be less costly than having installed local baseload capability.

AIUI, AC is better for short-distance transmission; DC is better for very long distance or underwater transmission.

Only works over very long distances, where the improvement in cable losses outweighs the rectification/alternator losses. AC is still a hands-down winner in most circumstances as the voltage can be transformed with amazingly small losses. High voltage leads to low losses on the pylons, lower voltages are better suited for industrial and domestic applications.

It's why AC is everywhere, and DC is only in a few niche applications.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,199
    Personally, at a time when the UK is dangerously close to capacity limits in electricity generation it is an act of total economic insanity to start mucking about with tariff limits. You either ration by price (capitalism) or by shortage (socialism) and so EdM wants brownouts, and he will get them.

This stupid idea sums up the pathetic economic illiteracy of these cretins.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall these radical policy ideas coming from him when he had the chance to put them into practice.''

Why don;t the energy companies employ an ad agency to spell all this out? give the public the truth?

Roger is on the job already.

He is currently doing light tests on the wind farm offshore from Villeneuve-sur-mer.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    taffys said:

There is no need for the Tories to try and defend the power companies. It should be easy enough just to point out the reality of what Miliband did when he was in control of energy policy and say that he is a back-stabbing politician who will promise anything to get into power. People are already cynical of politicians so it shouldn't be too difficult to push this line.
  • Options
    taffys said:

That's the laughable thing, Ed Miliband was actually in government, with this brief, and could have done something then, when there was still a little bit of money sloshing around. That's why it's hard to take Milliband seriously on the subject.
    Still, it'll prove to be a popular announcement,
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

antifrank said:

Much of Labour's tactics on energy prices are to pre-empt an inevitable move by Osborne to reduce administrative and regulatory price rises in the run-up to the election. Energy and fuel prices were an obvious target for tax reductions/pricing moderation. By creating a stink on energy prices Labour can now claim Osborne is responding to their initiative rather than leading.

But Osborne's motives in restraining administrative and regulatory cost increases will have a broader macro-economic goal than crowd pleasing consumers.

Full and sustained economic recovery and, more particularly, the UK continuing to lead its global competitors in both the timing and velocity of recovery, will depend on the country's ability to keep interest rates low for as long as an output gap remains (spare capacity and low productivity).

The biggest threat to sustained low interest rates is consumer price inflation. For this reason any short term fiscal easing adopted by Osborne is more likely to be weighted towards cost deflation than reduction of direct taxes.

As pursuing these macro-economic goals will have the coincident effect of increasing standards of living then Osborne will be able to align his policies with the Conservative Party's political priorities and voter concerns.

There's a f---king surprise.

• Options

I've no idea whether such a grid is a good idea, but I don't think your argument necessarily stacks up. The additional losses on the network might be a price very well worth paying if it allowed access to power which can be generated much more cheaply in certain locations, allowed power stations to run with a more even loading over time (thus improving efficiency), and also improved resilience.
    I am not sure that fewer larger power stations is conducive to improved resilience. Were we to suffer another Carrington Event then my understanding is that the lead time to replace key parts of large power stations - particularly transformers- would be several years because of the lack of manufacturers for building equipment of that scale. I also don't believe you can automatically equate price in monetary terms with efficiency of generation. The savings in monetary terms might relate to other factors not directly related to the amount of electricity lost in the system. What we should be interested in is the most efficient way to generate and distribute electricity which will not necessarily be the same as the cheapest.
  • Options
    I was wondering whether there were similarly apocalyptic warnings about the windfall tax that Labour imposed on the privatised utilities after the 1997 election. I haven't found any yet, but what I did find was the Labour Party manifesto, and the similarities with Miliband's speech are striking..
    new Labour because Britain deserves better
    Britain will be better with new Labour

'Our case is simple: that Britain can and must be better'

I believe in Britain. It is a great country with a great history. The British people are a great people. But I believe Britain can and must be better: better schools, better hospitals, better ways of tackling crime, of building a modern welfare state, of equipping ourselves for a new world economy.

I want a Britain that is one nation, with shared values and purpose, where merit comes before privilege, run for the many not the few, strong and sure of itself at home and abroad.
  • Options
    Sky News reporting that Osborne is going to go to court to stop a cap on banker bonuses. Brave, given Milliband's positioning yesterday.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

AveryLP said:

antifrank said:

There's a f---king surprise.

f---king = fracking, Bobajob?

I would be loathe to misunderstand your posts.

• Options
    Anorak said:

Only works over very long distances, where the improvement in cable losses outweighs the rectification/alternator losses. AC is still a hands-down winner in most circumstances as the voltage can be transformed with amazingly small losses. High voltage leads to low losses on the pylons, lower voltages are better suited for industrial and domestic applications.

IANAE, but as I understand it you're right up to a point. The distances are long, but so are the distances in Europe. It's been investigated, and decided that a HVDC system is best for use as a backbone. Apparently (Wiki linked earlier as a source) the lines themselves are cheaper to build and maintain as well. They can also carry much more power, and it is easier to convert between different countries' power systems.

Another link:
    http://www.dciinsulator.com/shownews.asp?id=155

It's not a case of a HVDC backbone replacing local AC; it will be in addition to the local transmissions. Think of it as a motorway compared to a local road network.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited September 2013

What we should be interested in is the most efficient way to generate and distribute electricity which will not necessarily be the same as the cheapest.

Why? If you can generate power very reliably and cheaply from a hydro-electric scheme in Scandanavia, why would you care if you lose a bit of it in distribution, compared with paying substantially more to generate it from a gas-powered station nearer to the market?

You have to look at the whole picture, not just one item, the loss on the network.

On the resilience, it's not so much fewer larger generators as a larger number and a more diverse range of generators.

Of course, much depends on the costs and also the environmental impact - pylons are a blot on the landscape by any standard.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

If Ed is really serious about helping consumers with their cost of living, and not merely indulging in gimmicks as all politicians do, he'd ensure we had control of our own energy needs. Green methods are an expensive, next century solution which can be fed in gradually (bugger the polar bears). He needs to unleash the dogs of fracking, burn waste, and bring nuclear back.

But he's a greeny who isn't worried about the bills. So a gimmick it is. And after twenty months, if the lights don't go out, the bills will soar to make up for the lost revenue.

I think there was always a case for nationalising fuel supply, despite the associated downsides. But that might be a vote-loser. Principles? Wot's them?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

If Ed is really serious about helping consumers with their cost of living

Will he make the same promise for motor fuel?
  • Options

Anorak said:

IANAE, but as I understand it you're right up to a point. The distances are long, but so are the distances in Europe. It's been investigated, and decided that a HVDC system is best for use as a backbone. Apparently (Wiki linked earlier as a source) the lines themselves are cheaper to build and maintain as well. They can also carry much more power, and it is easier to convert between different countries' power systems.

Another link:
    http://www.dciinsulator.com/shownews.asp?id=155

It's not a case of a HVDC backbone replacing local AC; it will be in addition to the local transmissions. Think of it as a motorway compared to a local road network.
    Assuming you're talking about a pan-EU network, you may well be right, and that would reduce the losses. Little use *within* any EU country though.

Isn't engineering fun :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    The Tory line is very easy on this. "We don't think Ed and Labour have thought through the consequences on investment and jobs in the energy sector" or "Ed is putting Britain's energy security at risk to win votes". No more, no less.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    If it was just a vote winner without any principles,then Miliband could have forced the big 6 to freeze only household bills.

But it`s businesses which would gain a big share of the 4 billion pounds the energy companies lose because of the freeze.Remember while households gain only 120 pounds,businesses save 4800 pounds.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @RichardNabavi

'That is hilarious. Ask people what they want, and then promise to pass a law saying they can have it. Job done. I'd never realised that being a party leader and winning elections were so easy.'

I'm just surprised the polling isn't better.

Would you like £120 ?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Cicero said:

Personally, at a time when the UK is dangerously close to capacity limits in electricity generation it is an act of total economic insanity to start mucking about with tariff limits. You either ration by price (capitalism) or by shortage (socialism) and so EdM wants brownouts, and he will get them.

Are you another criticising Cameron for meddling with tariffs through his insisting that everyone should be on the lowest energy tariff ?
  • Options
    "The new boss of the controversial HS2 rail project has been appointed on a salary of £591,000 a year."

http://news.sky.com/story/1146341/hs2s-new-boss-appointed-on-591k-salary
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    MaxPB said:

The Tory line is very easy on this. "We don't think Ed and Labour have thought through the consequences on investment and jobs in the energy sector" or "Ed is putting Britain's energy security at risk to win votes". No more, no less.

And you think scaremongering will work ? Good luck .
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Sky News reporting that Osborne is going to go to court to stop a cap on banker bonuses. Brave, given Milliband's positioning yesterday.

Possibly brave but sensible. Employees' remuneration should be decided by managers and shareholders not by EU dictat. This regulation would give advantage to banks outside the EU.

• Options
    Tim Shipman (Mail) @ShippersUnbound
    If you think Ed is Red you should hear the questions in this Q&A. They want free electricity, rail nationalisation and more union rights
  • Options
    Milliband commits to leader debates.

@paulwaugh's Tweet: https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/382868621485428738
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yup. It always does. In the run up to the election, stories about blackouts and thousands of lost jobs and billions in lost investment is enough.

Plus, it isn't scaremongering, there are real world examples (California being the most recent) that show how introducing a price ceiling leads to blackouts.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    ''Are you another criticising Cameron for meddling with tariffs through his insisting that everyone should be on the lowest energy tariff ?'''

What's the lib dem strategy on power prices at the next election going to be, Mark?

'Our policy is beggaring you, but don;t the trees look nice?'

• Options
    Ha, Kay Burley skewering Luciana Berger on why Milliband did feck all about it when he was in government.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yup. It always does. In the run up to the election, stories about blackouts and thousands of lost jobs and billions in lost investment is enough.

Plus, it isn't scaremongering, there are real world examples (California being the most recent) that show how introducing a price ceiling leads to blackouts.
    Dream on .
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Cicero said:

Are you another criticising Cameron for meddling with tariffs through his insisting that everyone should be on the lowest energy tariff ?
    No, Mark. If Cameron or any Tory does it, the, of course, it is a brilliant idea !
  • Options
    edited September 2013

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Dream on .
    Excellent rebuttal. First class.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What a pity tim was caught by silly point on a score of 9,999.

He would now be at the crease taking guard against Tory spinners on rent rises.

And he would have found the ball didn't spin at all; every one straight as a Cameron referendum pledge.

The ONS published their experimental "Index of Private Housing Rental Prices, June to August 2013" this morning. It was their second release in this new series.

Here are the cover points:

• In the 12 months to August 2013 private rental prices paid by tenants in Great Britain rose by 1.2%. Private rents in Great Britain excluding London rose by 0.8% during the same period.

• In the 12 months to August 2013 private rental prices grew by 1.1% in England, 1.3% in Scotland and 1.3% in Wales.

• In the 12 months to August 2013 rental prices increased in all the English regions, with rental prices paid increasing the most in London (1.9%) and the South East (1.1%).

So not a single region where rental prices increased by more than rate of inflation and an average rise well under half the CPI rate. This is clear indication that rent prices are falling in real terms.

The regional breakdown is as follows: Between August 2012 and August 2013, rental prices grew by 1.1% in England, 1.3% in Scotland and 1.3% in Wales. The underlying rate in England excluding London was only 0.8%.

And what is even more significant is that rate of annual growth in private rental prices has started to fall. From around spring of this year, coincident with capital values of homes rising, the growth rate in rents has begun to fall.
    =================================
    Private Sector Housing
    Rental Price Index
    12 Month price change %
    ---------------------------------
    2013 2008
    Under Dave Under Gordon
    Jan 1.4 Jan 1.7
    Feb 1.4 Feb 1.7
    Mar 1.3 Mar 1.7
    Apr 1.3 Apr 1.8
    May 1.3 May 1.8
    Jun 1.2 Jun 1.8
    Jul 1.2 Jul 1.8
    Aug 1.2 Aug 1.8
    It does make you wonder which party is better at reducing living costs.

• Options
    Wny Ed thinks.... [?]

Scheme: Maybe. Lose at marbles: Undoubtably....
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

He would now be at the crease taking guard against Tory spinners on rent rises.

And he would have found the ball didn't spin at all; every one straight as a Cameron referendum pledge.

The ONS published their experimental "Index of Private Housing Rental Prices, June to August 2013" this morning. It was their second release in this new series.

Here are the cover points:

• In the 12 months to August 2013 private rental prices paid by tenants in Great Britain rose by 1.2%. Private rents in Great Britain excluding London rose by 0.8% during the same period.

• In the 12 months to August 2013 private rental prices grew by 1.1% in England, 1.3% in Scotland and 1.3% in Wales.

• In the 12 months to August 2013 rental prices increased in all the English regions, with rental
    prices paid increasing the most in London (1.9%) and the South East (1.1%).

So not a single region where rental prices increased by more than rate of inflation and an average rise well under half the CPI rate. This is clear indication that rent prices are falling in real terms.

The regional breakdown is as follows: Between August 2012 and August 2013, rental prices grew by 1.1% in England, 1.3% in Scotland and 1.3% in Wales. The underlying rate in England excluding London was only 0.8%.

And what is even more significant is that rate of annual growth in private rental prices has started to fall. From around spring of this year, coincident with capital values of homes rising, the growth rate in rents has begun to fall.

Private Sector Housing
    Rental Price Index
    12 Month price change %
    2013 2008
    Under Dave Under Gordon
    Jan 1.4 Jan 1.7
    Feb 1.4 Feb 1.7
    Mar 1.3 Mar 1.7
    Apr 1.3 Apr 1.8
    May 1.3 May 1.8
    Jun 1.2 Jun 1.8
    Jul 1.2 Jul 1.8
    Aug 1.2 Aug 1.8
    It does make you wonder which party is better at reducing living costs.

Is Tim banned?
  • Options
    The traditional Working Men's Club is in a state of decline, as the heavy industries and sense of collectivism that supported them fade and disappears. Ian McMillan looks at the clubs of Doncaster to learn more about a movement that has provided social interaction, education, recreation and support to working class communities for over a hundred years. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bddd2
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Ha, Kay Burley skewering Luciana Berger on why Milliband did feck all about it when he was in government.

This hysterical defence of the energy companies by PBTories is indeed unbelieveable. Not since they defended bankers bonuses.
  • Options
    I better extinguish the brazier, and get back to work.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TwistedFireStopper

'Ha, Kay Burley skewering Luciana Berger on why Milliband did feck all about it when he was in government.'

Energy costs up 85% over 12 years of which 10 years were under a Labour government.

''Last week it emerged energy bills have almost doubled since 2000, turning up the heat on Britain’s already hard-pressed families.

Households last year spent an average of £1,339 on gas and electricity – 85 per cent more than the £710 at the turn of the century, research shows.

The figures – adjusted to 2012 prices to take inflation into account – show that gas bills went up by 119 per cent and electricity bills by 47 per cent between 2000 and last year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430497/Labour-conference-2013-Ed-Miliband-speech-claims-Britain-better.html#ixzz2ftVlkPFD
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Are you another criticising Cameron for meddling with tariffs through his insisting that everyone should be on the lowest energy tariff ?'''

What's the lib dem strategy on power prices at the next election going to be, Mark?

'Our policy is beggaring you, but don;t the trees look nice?'

I have no idea but have no doubt there will be one and expect it to be rather better than the current Conservative position as expoused on here in the last 24 hours which appears to be simply don't touch our mates who run the Big 6 energy companies .
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Is Tim banned?
    He is queening it up on 9,999. Some are saying he is on holiday. Some that he is The Stig.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24235688

Well seems Ed has truly picked a fight with the energy firms. Could be politically disastrous or genius.

Reactions seem mixed. Would like to see some opinion polls forthwith.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

This hysterical defence of the energy companies by PBTories is indeed unbelieveable. Not since they defended bankers bonuses.
    No hysteria here. Just concerns.

Perhaps you should be concerned as well? Or do you think that Miliband's plan has no potential downsides?
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
    It is interesting that Labour feels it must exclude @Nigel_Farage from TV debates - suggests they as vulnerable as Tories to UKIP.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I don't like Labour, so I must be a PB Tory?

I'm not defending the energy companies, I don't know whether the price freeze is a good or bad thing, but it'll certainly be a popular policy,if it works out.

It is a valid point, though, to compare Milliband's time in office, with his stance now, given it was only 3 years ago.
    Plus, I love seeing politicians of all flavours squirming under the lights.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    DC should loook to address faults with pre-payment meters and rogue under/over billing which make it hard to budget.

Simple and effective, if he can do it.
  • Options

"The new boss of the controversial HS2 rail project has been appointed on a salary of £591,000 a year."

http://news.sky.com/story/1146341/hs2s-new-boss-appointed-on-591k-salary

Ouch. I'm not defending that.

BTW, I'll do it for £59,000. I've got no experience or particular knowledge, but I love the subject and it'd be fun. Best of all, I'd get to go down loads of tunnels. ;-)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    AveryLP said:

Sir Tim Donald George Bradman of PB parish.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Is Tim banned?
    He is queening it up on 9,999. Some are saying he is on holiday. Some that he is The Stig.

You should quickly make 7,341 posts to steal the glory Crown of Sadness and Sceptre of the Pitiable.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

RedRag1 said:

I saw a woman ask for a Five pound voucher in the petrol queue today. For ASDA. It was a Tesco fuel stop.

"If you really think voters are that stupid" personally I'm betting they are ;)
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2013
    Harriet has finished. Red Flag soon. Get ready
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Plato said:

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn
    It is interesting that Labour feels it must exclude @Nigel_Farage from TV debates - suggests they as vulnerable as Tories to UKIP.

I was about to suggest that Labour's line might be more confused (as would the Tories') if it ad to attack two ways.

Then I couldn't remember what it was.
  • Options
    Monique from General Secretary office leads the singing. It can't be worse than the version of 2 (IIRC) years ago
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Ah but....

If we did that then - maybe - Eds Balls & Militwunt would require face-flanels to cover there 'what-evers'. With the TV-tax we have "Moll" Flanders straight-front-end-[censored]! Izzinit...?
  • Options
    @TwistedFireStopper

wrt @tim - he's coming down your way. He thought an outside broadcast from the brazier would carry more man-of-the-people import for his 10,000th.

This discussion has been closed.