Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where will the next Thatcher come from?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited April 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Where will the next Thatcher come from?

One of the measures of the significance of Margaret Thatcher’s premiership is that despite being Britain’s first – and so far only – female prime minister, that fact is largely incidental compared to the achievements and actions of her government.  Women heads of government were rare at the time.  She was only the fourth elected female PM (and two of the earlier three followed either their husband o…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I'm pretty sure Ding Dong is owned by EMI ( http://musicservices.org/song/detail/220004 ) which means that the royalties will be paid to them (and so benefit EMI owners Sony and the Jackson Estate) and Harold Arlen the writer
  • Options
    Hazel Blears?

I'm continually impressed by Stella Creasy
  • Options
    Yvette Cooper has to be ruled out for a variety of reasons
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020
    'It’s something of an indictment of British politics that there are so few women today who could be considered serious contenders for the top job, with no likely prospect of one getting it before the next decade at the earliest.'

Isn't the indictment that all the current testicled contenders are seen as jokes, retreads, boring or toxic? Should be an opportunity for any half talented woman.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Betting Post

Good afternoon, everyone.

Really hard to call the race due to the tyres. In the end, after much thinking, I backed Vettel for the win at 7 with a hedge set up at 2.5. I think there's a reasonable chance he could win, and also a decent chance he could be leading for a period which will hopefully see the hedge matched.

More detail and rambling here: http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/china-pre-race.html

Incidentally, the tennis tip of yesterday failed, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    edited April 2013
    The next Margaret Thatcher is German and she is in office right now. Angela Merkel is one of the most important and influential politicians in the world today. There is more to being an equivalent to Thatcher than simply being a PM.

A Hillary Presidency might be interesting but for all her considerable gifts I do not see her as a radical.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    OZ has Gillard of course, India had Indira Gandhi, and Argentina has Kirchner
  • Options
    The thing is The First Prime Minister of an Independent Scotland may well be a woman.

Nicola Sturgeon continually impresses and Ms Lamont has moved ahead of Alex Salmond in the leadership ratings.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    I think Thatcher should be remembered not for her gender - but for what she did. The current disconnect between the electorate and politicians is in large part because they are all 'much of a muchness' - with almost interchangeable policies - despite the hyperventilating on both sides.

Two pieces have stuck with me from this week's Maggiethon:

Rafael Behr in the New Statesman:

"The renewable portion of Thatcherism is not its prescriptions for the economy but its spirit of political insurgency – the will to impose change; the capacity to turn a partisan agenda into an election-winning movement for national renewal. That element does not belong to any one party or wing of politics.....

....The problem that poses for the Conservatives is made all the greater by the confluence at the very top of party – incarnate in David Cameron - of the post-Thatcher economic consensus and a pre-Thatcher cultural and social class hierarchy. Cameron, a second-generation Thatcherite with patrician Shire Tory sensibilities and royal relations is about the least plausible candidate you might find to lead a transformative economic, social or political revolution."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/thatchers-victories-are-too-old-and-complete-help-cameron

I think much the same could be said of Ed Miliband too, in terms of his emergence from a consensus that increasingly looks bankrupt.

The second set of thoughts which resonated were Frank Field's comments in the HoC - on the three challenges facing Britain today (deprivation, inequality and governance in an age of globalisation - all interlinked) - and the complete lack of plans to tackle them from either front bench.

The person - male/female, Labour or Tory, who can answer that with conviction is our 'Next Maggie'.
  • Options
    Of course Brazil has Rousseff too
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Wiki gives 16 female PMs/Presidents currently globally.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    HYUFD said:

Brazil has a lady too.

• Options
    edited April 2013

The thing is The First Prime Minister of an Independent Scotland may well be a woman.
    Nicola Sturgeon continually impresses and Ms Lamont has moved ahead of Alex Salmond in the leadership ratings.

Barring the blackest of swans I'd give you very decent odds against Johann ever being FM.

• Options
    Andrea - Indeed, just added her
  • Options
    Currently Tory female MPs:

Baldwin, Harriett
    Blackwood, Nicola
    Bradley, Karen
    Bray, Angie
    Bruce, Fiona
    Coffey, Therese
    Crouch, Tracey
    Dinenage, Caroline
    Dorries, Nadine
    Doyle-Price, Jackie
    Ellison, Jane
    Fullbrook, Lorraine
    Gillan, Cheryl
    Grant, Helen
    Greening, Justine
    Harris, Rebecca
    James, Margot
    Laing, Eleanor
    Latham, Pauline
    Leadsom, Andrea
    Lee, Jessica
    Leslie, Charlotte
    Lumley, Karen
    Macleod, Mary
    Main, Anne
    May, Theresa
    McIntosh, Anne
    McVey, Esther
    Miller, Maria
    Milton, Anne
    Mordaunt, Penny
    Morgan, Nicky
    Morris, Anne-Marie
    Murray, Sheryll
    Newton, Sarah
    Nokes, Caroline
    Patel, Priti
    Perry, Claire
    Rudd, Amber
    Sandys, Laura
    Smith, Chloe
    Soubry, Anna
    Spelman, Caroline
    Truss, Elizabeth
    Villiers, Theresa
    Watkinson, Angela
    Wheeler, Heather
    Wollaston, Sarah
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I see ComRes are asking whether people agree/disagree "Margaret Thatcher was the most divisive Prime Minister this country has had that I can remember

What about those that can't remember - i.e. those born after 1980?

Also the agree/disagree question format is one that wouldn't be accepted by Electoral Commission.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

Brazil has a lady too.

Is Gillard really a lady? She's always struck me as a bit of a thug
  • Options
    Where will the next Thatcher come from? Where Thatcher herself came from - where she was least expected. I hope we get one soon, of any political persuasion. ATM we're being treated to a re-run of Heath/Wilson, by a couple of one-night stand-ins. THe country deserves better.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    HYUFD said:

It is probably not coincidental that Kirchner's husband preceded her in the office (as was the case with the previous female Argentine president), and Indira Gandhi followed in her father's footsteps.

Obviously, the dynastic element is present for many male leaders - Ghandi own son followed her, for example, and it's highly unlikely that GW Bush would have become president were he not his father's son - but the trend does seem particularly pronounced with female leaders. Which makes Thatcher's achievement all the more impressive.
  • Options

Barring the blackest of swans I'd give you very decent odds against Johann ever being FM.

Looking at the SNP lead with Mori in February, I struggle to foresee it happening as well.

The main known unknown is what happens to the SNP voteshare if Scotland votes comprehensively to remain in the Union.

Bugger all I suspect. But you never know. Defeat does to weird things to political parties.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Current Labour female MPs:

Abbott, Diane
    Abrahams, Debbie*
    Alexander, Heidi*
    Ali, Rushanara*
    Beckett, Margaret
    Begg, Anne
    Berger, Luciana*
    Blackman-Woods, Roberta
    Blears, Hazel
    Brown, Lyn
    Buck, Karen
    Champion, Sarah*
    Chapman, Jenny*
    Clark, Katy
    Clwyd, Ann
    Coffey, Ann
    Cooper, Rosie
    Cooper, Yvette
    Creagh, Mary
    Creasy, Stella*
    Curran, Margaret*
    de Piero, Gloria*
    Doyle, Gemma*
    Eagle, Angela
    Eagle, Maria
    Elliott, Julie*
    Ellman, Louise
    Engel, Natascha
    Flint, Caroline
    Fovargue, Yvonne*
    Gilmore, Sheila*
    Glass, Pat*
    Glindon, Mary*
    Goodman, Helen
    Green, Kate*
    Greenwood, Lilian*
    Griffith, Nia
    Harman, Harriet
    Hillier, Meg
    Hilling, Julie*
    Hodge, Margaret
    Hodgson, Sharon
    Hoey, Kate
    Jackson, Glenda
    James, Sian
    Jamieson, Cathy*
    Johnson, Diana
    Jones, Helen
    Jones, Susan Elan*
    Jowell, Tessa
    Keeley, Barbara
    Kendall, Elizabeth*
    Mactaggart, Fiona
    Mahmood, Shabana*
    Malhotra, Seema*
    McCarthy, Kerry
    McDonagh, Siobhain
    McGovern, Alison*
    McGuire, Anne
    McKechin, Ann
    McKinnell, Catherine*
    Moon, Madeleine
    Morden, Jessica
    Munn, Meg
    Nandy, Lisa*
    Nash, Pamela*
    O'Donnell, Fiona*
    Onwurah, Chi*
    Osborne, Sandra
    Pearce, Teresa*
    Phillipson, Bridget*
    Powell, Lucy*
    Primarolo, Dawn
    Qureshi, Yasmin*
    Reeves, Rachel*
    Reynolds, Emma*
    Riordan, Linda
    Ruddock, Joan
    Seabeck, Alison
    Smith, Angela
    Stuart, Gisela
    Thornberry, Emily
    Vaz, Valerie*
    Walley, Joan
    Winterton, Rosie

The * are those from the new intake (2010 GE or recent by-elections).
    Out of the newcomers, Abrahams, Curran, Elliott, Gilmore, Glass, Glindon. Green, Hilling, Jamieson. O'Donnell, Pearce, Qureshi and Vaz are already 50+ year old.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Theuniondivvie

I'd give you very decent odds on Johann not ever being FM.

What odds?

Depends on your time limit, but if it's the next Holyrood election, 3/1. If she loses she'll be slung back into SLAB shadow cabinet obscurity anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    @mike smithson

Re Com Res. I agree but also many/most of her supporters accept she was divisive - but appropriately so for the times. I noticed Lord Ashdown said as much in the H/L the other day.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    tim said:

It’s something of an indictment of British politics that there are so few women today who could be considered serious contenders for the top job, with no likely prospect of one getting it before the next decade at the earliest.

Next PM betting

Favourite Ed Miliband
    Second Favourite Theresa May (in from 66/1)

I suppose it's possible that May could replace Cameron this parliament but I'd rate it as very unlikely. Maybe there's a slightly better chance that she could replace him in the next were the Conservatives to form another government, alone or in coalition but by far the more likely scenario is her becoming leader after a Conservative defeat in 2015. Much the same applies to Cooper in reverse. In neither case would they get the chance to become PM until 2020.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Where will the next Thatcher come from? Where Thatcher herself came from - where she was least expected. I hope we get one soon, of any political persuasion. ATM we're being treated to a re-run of Heath/Wilson, by a couple of one-night stand-ins. THe country deserves better.

Diane James.

That will get you all talking!

• Options
    Trafalgar Square webcam - Maggie Dead Party due to start @6:

http://www.camvista.com/england/london/trafsq.php3

Forecast is heavy rain....

I remember during the 1980 riots Radio 4 breathlessly reporting 'we are getting reports of disturbances in Central Newcastle last night, on the line we have Superintendent Plod ' - 'How would you describe the situation?' 'Typical Friday night down the Bigg Market...then when, in Bristol things were looking bad, when plod was asked what he could do with (the army, rubber bullets??) he said 'rain'....
  • Options

Trafalgar Square webcam - Maggie Dead Party due to start @6:

http://www.camvista.com/england/london/trafsq.php3

Forecast is heavy rain....

I remember during the 1980 riots Radio 4 breathlessly reporting 'we are getting reports of disturbances in Central Newcastle last night, on the line we have Superintendent Plod ' - 'How would you describe the situation?' 'Typical Friday night down the Bigg Market...then when, in Bristol things were looking bad, when plod was asked what he could do with (the army, rubber bullets??) he said 'rain'....

Millwall v Wigan at Wembley should finish at about 7pm and I think the friendly, Thatcher loving, Millwall fans might be heading there after. Could be ugly.
  • Options

Looking at the SNP lead with Mori in February, I struggle to foresee it happening as well.
    The main known unknown is what happens to the SNP voteshare if Scotland votes comprehensively to remain in the Union.
    Bugger all I suspect. But you never know. Defeat does to weird things to political parties.

Obviously I'm hoping for a different result, but even in that case, all I can see is the group of voters who currently vote SNP but don't want independence being massively reassured, and growing.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I see ComRes are asking whether people agree/disagree "Margaret Thatcher was the most divisive Prime Minister this country has had that I can remember

Also the agree/disagree question format is one that wouldn't be accepted by Electoral Commission.

It seems from reports that those born after 1980, who can't possibly remember, are the most likely to answer that question enthusiastically.
  • Options
    The Italian jounralists kidnapped in Syria have been freed.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    tim said:

@Theuniondivvie

I was hoping for 4/1

I think theres probably a 2/1 chance that the next FM will be a woman, as I wouldn't rule out Salmond standing aside after losing the referendum due to women voters and Sturgeon taking over before 2015.

100/30 my final offer, I'll put £100 up against your £30.

I'm not sure if the Salmond v women issue isn't being overstated; the gender imbalance is substantially greater in referendum v. Holyrood polling so I'd guess fear of the unknown is the greater issue. Sturgeon taking over after a losing referendum is certainly a strong possibilty - I'd give you much better odds if it was a straight Sturgeon v. Lamont showdown!

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    F1: incidentally, Hamilton's articles for the BBC have been really interesting to read. His latest one touches on the tricky matter of team orders:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22115827
  • Options

Obviously I'm hoping for a different result, but even in that case, all I can see is the group of voters who currently vote SNP but don't want independence being massively reassured, and growing.

Less than 18 months to go and we'll find out.

• Options

F1: incidentally, Hamilton's articles for the BBC have been really interesting to read. His latest one touches on the tricky matter of team orders:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22115827

Hamilton's move to Mercedes really has been inspired.

Can't wait for tomorrow

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

TSE, you made up the Lamont bit , absolutely no way that duffer could be popular, she makes Grey look good.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TSE, you made up the Lamont bit , absolutely no way that duffer could be popular, she makes Grey look good.
    Lamont leads Salmond with Mori net ratings.

Mostly because she has higher don't knows than Salmond.

33% to 7% I think.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

malcolmg said:

Lamont leads Salmond with Mori net ratings.

Mostly because she has higher don't knows than Salmond.

33% to 7% I think.
    Where arre they doing their polling , it must be in an asylum.
  • Options
    Malcolm.

They are polling the same place where the SNP have a lead in the polls.

See the third graphic down here

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/13/the-latest-ipsos-mori-polling-on-scottish-independence/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think there are 146 female MPs at present.
  • Options
    David Herdson - Indeed
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2013
    If you could nominate the most vulgar resort in the world where criminals mingle effortlessly with the neaveau riche tax avoiders Marbella would be the place.

The unsurprising news is that Sir Mark Thatcher lives there and the good news is he's back in good time to organize his Mother's funeral. Let's hope that the funeral goes without hitch as I understand the time he is allowed to spend in this country is limited.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I expect that the next female Prime Minister of Britain is sitting inside the House of Commons already, and very possibly is on the front bench of her party.

When will we get another Prime Minister of the stature of Margaret Thatcher? I'll be lucky to see another in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Robin Day teasing Ted Heath
  • Options

There's an implication here that divisiveness is a bad quality. Arguably Churchill was divisive for standing up to Hitler.
  • Options
    Peter_2Peter_2 Posts: 146
    Roger said:

If you could nominate the most resort in the world where criminals mingle effortlessly with the neaveau riche tax avoiders Marbella would be the place.

The unsurprising news is that Sir Mark Thatcher lives there and the good news is he's back in good time to organize his Mother's funeral. Let's hope that the funeral goes without hitch as I understand the time he is allowed to spend in this country is limited.

183 days probably. But u know the number of days you need too.
  • Options
    Just catching up with R4 Any Questions - interesting how when they introduced John Cooper QC as a "leading human rights lawyer" they neglected to mention he had stood as a Labour Parliamentary candidate twice and served as a councillor for 4 years. Sounds like he wants to stand again...
  • Options
    To save anyone sitting on the edge of their seats, the answers to the ComRes questions about Margaret Thatcher will be:

Agree
    Agree
    Agree
    Agree
    Agree
    Agree
    Agree*
    Disagree

But I'm sure someone will get a nice column out of reporting what we can already be pretty confident about (with the exception of the one marked with an asterisk).
  • Options

There's an implication here that divisiveness is a bad quality. Arguably Churchill was divisive for standing up to Hitler.
    I heard a caller to radio 5 (pretty sure he was a northern ex-miner) claim that Thatcher was worse than Hitler because "at least he wasn't as divisive as her". I know that some people are thick but really that's just too stupid for words..
  • Options
    A thought-provoking column in the New Statesman:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/miliband-blair-war-words-preview-bigger-battles-come

"Liberated from office, Blair enjoys the luxury of posing questions without answering them (although NS editor Jason Cowley has a go in today's Times) but Miliband does not. And once he begins to set out his stall, Labour unity could quickly begin to fray. Recall the tumult that followed Ed Balls's declaration of support for the public sector pay freeze and Labour's decision to abstain on the workfare bill (a move that prompted a rebellion by 44 backbenchers). As one Labour MP recently told me, a pledge to make further cuts to public spending (as the party will surely do) would make such rows "look like a tea party". For this reason, among others, David Cameron and George Osborne will continue to appear unreasonably cheerful. Most of their tough decisions are behind them; Labour’s are all still to come."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Female PMs are rare, but brilliant.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,799

That is an outrageously biased question even for the Indy/Mirror. I know Andrew Hawkins is payed just to ask the question, but he must have felt quesy when he saw that question.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Pulpstar said:

Female PMs are rare, but brilliant.

At the moment they are unique (in this country)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Most of their tough decisions are behind them; Labour’s are all still to come."

Indeed. John Cooper QC has just been awarded the OBN Miliband Jr.

• Options
    If any banker was thought to be sufficiently unworthy to keep his knighthood just read this!

What a piece of work...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Thatcher
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Every politician is divisive, some like Margaret Thatcher are decisive as well.
  • Options
    Roger said:
    Do you think he edited it himself, a la Chuka?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

That is an outrageously biased question even for the Indy/Mirror. I know Andrew Hawkins is payed just to ask the question, but he must have felt quesy when he saw that question.

Sometimes it is difficult to work out a result from the question. There's the old one about asking if Yorkshiremen were blunt and coarse. "Aye, lad, we are!"
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Yeah, a PM standing up to a foreign totalitarian regime is just the same as a PM putting the interests of groups of their fellow citizens above those of others.

Of course I'm sure the 'enemy within' brigade were and are happy to make the idiotic comparison between lefties, unions, Northerners, Jocks etc, and Hitler.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Marbella.... Sir Mark Thatcher lives there

Barbados.....just down the road from Sir Cliff Richard - do you think Tony bumps into him when he's staying with Sir Cliff?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/238328/Mark-Thatcher-The-lad-s-not-for-returning
  • Options

Yeah, a PM standing up to a foreign totalitarian regime is just the same as a PM putting the interests of groups of their fellow citizens above those of others.

Of course I'm sure the 'enemy within' brigade were and are happy to make the idiotic comparison between lefties, unions, Northerners, Jocks etc, and Hitler.
    Nothing wrong with northerners, jocks per se. Guess they have their share,of merchant bankers much like southerners. As for the others on your list...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    It is this woman from the live feed of UKUNCUT from Occupy London

http://www.livestream.com/occupylsx

She is the new Thatcher.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Conservatives HOLD Eastleigh .... Maj 20,000+

• Options
    @Carlotta "Barbados.....just down the road from Sir Cliff Richard - do you think Tony bumps into him when he's staying with Sir Cliff?"

I think you're a little out of date (or at least the Express is).

Straight from the horses bottom.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306214/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Carol-Mark-return-UK-today-ask-privacy.html
  • Options
    I've just had a late breakfast out and despite what SO and Carlotta were saying Mrs T seemed to be a hot topic. Infact it's where I got the information about Mark T's Wiki entry and his criminal past. I think those who are expecting a peaceful joyous day are going to be disappointed. I detect some lingering anger...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2013
    Roger said:

@Carlotta "Barbados.....just down the road from Sir Cliff Richard - do you think Tony bumps into him when he's staying with Sir Cliff?"

Straight from the horses bottom.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306214/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Carol-Mark-return-UK-today-ask-privacy.html

The last I heard, Roger, was that he was renting a villa in Marbella from an old prep school mate of mine. According to the press Sir Mark was in substantial arrears on his payments.

I do hope the contribution of the Thatcher estate to the cost of the ceremonial funeral is appropriately limited.

Otherwise I fear a "Master Shallow I owe thee a thousand pound" moment.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

I've just had a late breakfast out and despite what SO and Carlotta were saying Mrs T seemed to be a hot topic. Infact it's where I got the information about Mark T's Wiki entry and his criminal past. I think those who are expecting a peaceful joyous day are going to be disappointed. I detect some lingering anger...

She certainly is, whilst I was waiting for my car to be valeted, some 80 yr old guy started talking to me and was harranging me about Mrs Thatcher and how he had worked in the print trade in the 80's and had been stopped from signing on as Donald Duck and getting £300 for three nights work..tax dodged. You just can't please some people..
  • Options
    Peter_2 said:

Nothing wrong with northerners, jocks per se. Guess they have their share,of merchant bankers much like southerners. As for the others on your list...

Just to pin down your exact position in the PB firmament, are you one of the self-exculpating group who consider the Nazis were really socialists, or do you think their good name is being sullied by association with lefties and unions?
  • Options
    Roger said:

I suggest you dunk the remains of your eggs Benedict into your Buck's fizz and hurl the concoction unceremonially at the walls of the coffee bar, Roger.

Far better that than confront a Millwall fan in Trafalgar Square.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2013
    Two consecutive Tweets: must be unrelated.

Huge police presence on North Street Bristol.

Great to meet Ed Miliband this morning in Bristol, talking lots of sense.
  • Options
    @Avery. "The last I heard, Roger, was that he was renting a villa in Marbella from an old prep school mate of mine."

Yes I've got 'friends' like that. One of the hazards of going to schools where often stupid pupils had ridiculously rich parents who left them fortunes and enormous villas in places like Marbella. A bit like Sir Mark actually.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I've just had a late breakfast.....I detect some lingering anger...

Among your chums? Never!

• Options

Peter_2 said:

Just to pin down your exact position in the PB firmament, are you one of the self-exculpating group who consider the Nazis were really socialists, or do you think their good name is being sullied by association with lefties and unions?
    I consider myself to be centre left. Haha. :-)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Indeed!

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2013/04/08/expat-mark-thatcher-announces-mothers-death/

And it looks like his 'interesting times' are not over:

"Regularly seen driving around the coast in his Porsche Turbo, he is said by local sources to have various business dealings in Spain.

He was recently said to have been one of the names handed over to the Spanish authorities after HSBC bank released details of off-shore accounts in Jersey.

Having rented a villa in the exclusive Madronal development for years Olive Press sources say he is now living in nearby Zagaleta, which counts the Mayor of Moscow and allegedly President Putin of Russia as owners."
  • Options
    @Carlotta "Among your chums? Never!"

Today they were advertising folk and as you'll know they never take anything that seriously.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I've just enabled a Vanilla option that states how many posts people have made. Any thoughts?

They are interesting stats but better set out on a profile page as with Disqus rather than allowed to clutter up the threads.

Is this an option with Vanilla?

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    Does it just go on, or is there a reset faciity?
  • Options

Are you asking about tim?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

I've just enabled a Vanilla option that states how many posts people have made. Any thoughts?

Looks good. And the likes are back!
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Are you asking about tim?
    Perish the thought!

• Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Since she was elected Conservative leader in 1975, every one of the seventeen people chosen to lead one of the three main parties has been a man."

Shirley Williams was technically joint leader of the SDP in 1981-2. Margaret Beckett was technically leader of the Labour Party for a few weeks in 1994, as was Harriet Harman in 2010.

Part of the problem seems to be that capable women either don't run for the leadership at all (the Yvette Cooper syndrome), or they 'settle' for the deputy leadership instead (the Harriet Harman syndrome).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @Carlotta
    "He was recently said to have been one of the names handed over to the Spanish authorities after HSBC bank released details of off-shore accounts in Jersey."

The Great Lady's son could end up in prison? This has the potential to cause Paul Dacre to take his own life
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    atm bar Mrs Balls I can't see any woman on the Labour benches capable of making the jump to PM. On the blues it depends who's left when Cameron gets dumped. The LDs don't seem to bother much with women.
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    edited April 2013

"Since she was elected Conservative leader in 1975, every one of the seventeen people chosen to lead one of the three main parties has been a man."

Shirley Williams was technically joint leader of the SDP in 1981-2. Margaret Beckett was technically leader of the Labour Party for a few weeks in 1994, as was Harriet Harman in 2010.

Part of the problem seems to be that capable women either don't run for the leadership at all (the Yvette Cooper syndrome), or they 'settle' for the deputy leadership instead (the Harriet Harman syndrome).

Women might fare better in leadership elections if they declared independence from men.

What do you think, James?

• Options
    For Tim -

"And, contrary to some received wisdom, women are not more opposed to independence, but rather women are more undecided. That doesn’t mean that the Yes campaign does not have work to do to make the case to women more effectively, but we should also be aware of two other points. First, if Yes has a ‘women problem’ then that means No has a ‘men problem’ (and they face that problem from what has been their high-water mark in the polls). And, second, with the No campaign’s appalling welfare changes about to come into effect on April 1st and with women set to feel 75% of the impact of those changes, what we can be sure of is that No are on the point of massively alienating this sector of their support.

Which brings me to the third and final lesson from our research – No support is built upon incredibly shaky foundations. We know that many people who currently say they will vote No do so because they have a ‘fact’ or belief that means they think we can’t be independent. This is usually around whether or not we can afford it. These anchors for No support are very fragile and can be removed by a series of simple arguments: essentially being able to persuade people that Scotland’s got what it takes to be an independent country and that, when we look at our many economic strengths, it all adds up to more prosperous Scotland if we are independent and able to determine our own economic future."

http://stephennoon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/we-know-date-and-we-know-that-we-can-win.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Carlotta

The Great Lady's son could end up in prison? This has the potential to cause Paul Dacre to take his own life

Shouldn't the bit about prison include the word "again"? IIRC he spent a day or so inside in S Africa. Could be wrong, of course.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Labour narrowly HOLD Rhondda .... Maj 31,000+
  • Options

Don't know if you can make it so the likes only appear when mouse is over the post (same as the buttons)?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    There does not seem to be a option for that
    Millsy said:

Don't know if you can make it so the likes only appear when mouse is over the post (same as the buttons)?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited April 2013

That's nice - you can easily congratulate people on their first post.
    But what about the "Off Topic" button? Does that automatically hide something at any point?

Also, aren't "Agree" and "Disagree"AND "Like" excessive?

The Likes are good for rewarding funny posts but otherwise serve to polarize opinion IMO.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Labour narrowly HOLD Rhondda .... Maj 31,000+

And they blame Maggie for closing down the mines!
  • Options

"I have also enabled reactions"

Oh no. The absence of likes was one of the best things about the new system.

It is rather a good system, James.

I have just disagreed with your post and you (and I) can drill down in your profile to see whom it was that had the temerity and impudence not to accept your post as gospel.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    "And they blame Maggie for closing down the mines!"

Are you suggesting that Rhondda was an independent Labour-run republic, Cousin of Seth? I believe Thatcherism did actually apply there, in spite of the Labour MP.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    What is that icon associated with Avery on James' post?
  • Options
    Freggles said:

What is that icon associated with Avery on James' post?

Disagree - hover over it (at least in Chrome)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Also, aren't "Agree" and "Disagree"AND "Like" excessive?
    The Likes are good for rewarding funny posts but otherwise serve to polarize opinion IMO.

It is possible to both disagree with a post but find it likeable - for example, funny posts.

I think the 'Agree' button could save us some redundant posts too.

Now if only we had a 'CammieOsbrownFop' button for Pork....save him a lot of time...

This discussion has been closed.