Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The November 6th US Midterms – where we are and what might hap

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited October 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The November 6th US Midterms – where we are and what might happen

The main elections on November 6th  are for 435 seats in the House of Representatives, 35 of the 100 seats in the Senate, 36 out of 50 state/district Governors, and 3 out of 5 territory Governors. This is an attempt to summarise the predictors. The following figures were taken between 11pm BST October 27th and 3:30am BST (2:30am GMT) October 28th 2018.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    Whee! I'm famous!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    A legend in your own lunchtime.... ;-)
  • Options

A legend in your own lunchtime.... ;-)

Indeed... :)
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "I am a statistician of the old-school, based in the frequentist and mathematical traditions on limited samples."

You're an outlier !
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

"I am a statistician of the old-school, based in the frequentist and mathematical traditions on limited samples."

You're an outlier !

He could get cross over a comment like that.....
  • Options

You're an outlier !

He could get cross over a comment like that.....
    Don't be mean... :)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Superb piece of work. Many thanks.

The odds for a Dem majority in the Senate are appalling, especially if the 2 "independents" are also not counted as seems to be the case (I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016). Take those 2 out and no majority looks attractive, if a tad optimistic from a Dem point of view.

In the House Ladbrokes odds for a Dem majority look pretty reasonable but their spread bet on 226.5 does not.

All in my personal opinion of course.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2018
    More chaos at Paddington as all services cancelled again due to overhead wire damage. No services at all to Heathrow or as far as Reading.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/paddington-station-delays-all-trains-to-and-from-major-transport-hub-cancelled-following-overhead-a3973891.html

Dems win the House Republicans retain the senate - but will we have services at Paddington disrupted again before 6 November.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The odds for a Dem majority in the Senate are appalling, especially if the 2 "independents" are also not counted as seems to be the case (I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016). Take those 2 out and no majority looks attractive, if a tad optimistic from a Dem point of view.

In the House Ladbrokes odds for a Dem majority look pretty reasonable but their spread bet on 226.5 does not.

All in my personal opinion of course.

You're welcome.

It is relatively easy to get historical poll data, but historical info about modellers, academics, etc has to be digged out and historical betting odds are a nightmare: you have to pay or register as an academic. It's even worse when trying to construct the full book at a given moment, since sites like Oddschecker don't necessarily sample Con at the same time as Lab at the same time as Lib, etc. I've criticised PB in the past for not focussing on upcoming elections, but it's better to light a candle than curse the dark so I thought I'd have a go. I'll try to do a matching article next weekend, so then we'll have two snapshots and can try to discern trends.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    DavidL said:

The odds for a Dem majority in the Senate are appalling, especially if the 2 "independents" are also not counted as seems to be the case (I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016).

Political parties here are not like political parties in the UK, they are much more coalitions of diverse interests, much less ideological and much less hierarchical, and "membership" is purely by self-selection. In the UK to join a political party I had to apply, be accepted and pay an annual fee. Here all I had to do was tick a box when registering to vote.

In the UK, parties control their nomination processes jealously: usually only paid-up members can vote on who to adopt as a candidate, and often you need to be "approved" by the party before you can even be considered. Most places in the US, anyone can run in a primary under whichever ticket they chose. Sometimes that can result in weird mismatches, such as the former Sheriff of Milwaukee, David Clarke, who was a far-right Trump supporter but ran as a Democrat.

There is little in the way of party discipline in the British sense. There are Whips in Congress and party caucuses (like the PLP, 1922 Cttee etc). Voting against the party line on grounds of principle is accepted and respected. No-one ever gets suspended from a caucus or loses the party nomination for doing so (the primary system means everyone is subject to compulsory re-selection anyway) but parties can sanction persistent rebels by cutting off funding. Fund-raising is probably the most powerful way the parties have of "controlling" their candidates.

There is little formal ideology: there are no party manifestos. Parties do adopt a "platform" at their conventions (national, state, local) but these are usually just general statements of principles and no-one feels bound by them. They are pretty universally forgotten as soon as they are adopted.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Thanks Viewcode. Useful summary of things.
  • Options

You're an outlier !

Never to be preceded by 'out and'.

Good, meaty bit of work VC.
  • Options
    @rottenborough , @Theuniondivvie

Thank you both
  • Options
    Perhaps rather controversially, I do wonder whether it would be better for Dems not to win the House and Senate. They would almost certainly then try and impeach Trump, which, much as I pray for the day we see the back of him, would I fear cause quite considerable political violence and feed the very paranoia about Deep State that is already getting out of hand.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    The evidence seems to suggest the Democrats will gain the House but the GOP will keep the Senate bar a dramatic event in the final 10 days of the campaign
  • Options

Perhaps rather controversially, I do wonder whether it would be better for Dems not to win the House and Senate. They would almost certainly then try and impeach Trump, which, much as I pray for the day we see the back of him, would I fear cause quite considerable political violence and feed the very paranoia about Deep State that is already getting out of hand.

Indeed as the GOP discovered after they won both the House and Senate in 1994 they ended up losing both the 1996 presidential election and losing seats in the 1998 midterms as they pushed too hard to impeach Bill Clinton
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    DavidL said:

The odds for a Dem majority in the Senate are appalling, especially if the 2 "independents" are also not counted as seems to be the case (I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016).

Same happened here, didn't it, or am I wrong in thinking Ken Clarke was not actually a party member during one of his leadership bids?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

You're an outlier !

Sorry to use the B word here, but I mean you are not a ....

... Bayesian.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Nice work, Mr. Viewcode.
  • Options

You're an outlier !

Sorry to use the B word here, but I mean you are not a ....

... Bayesian.
    Every frequentist becomes a Bayesian over time (which is ironic). You update your assumptions as new data comes in, and where else does a Bayesian prior come from, if not from a frequentist?
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

Nice work, Mr. Viewcode.

Thank you
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    DavidL said:

(I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016).

Could it possibly be because the other Democratic candidate was appalling?
  • Options

If the Republicans end up in control of both Houses, they will feel honour bound to try and eliminate the Affordable Care Act, which would be an utter disaster for Trump.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

(I have given up trying to work out how an "independent" came so close to being the Democratic nominee for President in 2016).

Deplorable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,122
    rcs1000 said:

If the Republicans end up in control of both Houses, they will feel honour bound to try and eliminate the Affordable Care Act, which would be an utter disaster for Trump.
    So you're saying the Dems should look to concede supermajorities in the House and the Senate?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    HYUFD said:
    If more people vote Dem, they’ll win more seats? Who’d have thunk it. :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Didn't work in 2016.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

On that baisis, the fact that political incontinent Trump actually became the Rep candidate must mean that the other GOP candidates were really, really awful.
    Which they were of course.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Hessen Landtag election first exit polls

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5
  • Options
    'Twas a pleasure to publish this.
  • Options
    It appears at least one of the Pittsburgh victims (they were all over 50) was a 97 year old Holocaust survivor. Grim.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.
    As much as that comment got criticised at the time, events since - including the last week - have indicated she was correct.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    brendan16 said:

More chaos at Paddington as all services cancelled again due to overhead wire damage. No services at all to Heathrow or as far as Reading.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/paddington-station-delays-all-trains-to-and-from-major-transport-hub-cancelled-following-overhead-a3973891.html

It's always the overhead wires. 'Plastic sheeting caught in the overhead wires' is an excuse I've heard from AGA more than once as the train crawls through Stratford. One wonders if diesel trains are such a bad thing.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

It appears at least one of the Pittsburgh victims (they were all over 50) was a 97 year old Holocaust survivor. Grim.

Heard earlier that 3 of them were Holocaust survivors. Very grim indeed.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Didn't work in 2016.
    Hillary won the popular vote by just 2% then. The Democrats lead the generic House race now by about 7-9% in most polls
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.
    As much as that comment got criticised at the time, events since - including the last week - have indicated she was correct.
    The Pittsburgh killer was a neo Nazi who had even disowned Trump as 'a globalist and not a nationalist' and had refused to vote for him in 2016. He was more David Duke than Trump though the mail bomber last week was likely a Trump supporter but that had no injuries

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7601226/pittsburgh-synagogue-shooter-trump-antisemitic/
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

The last Forschungruppe Whalen poll almost totally accurate if confirmed (Linke slightly overstated). Will the CDU-Green coalition still have a majority?
  • Options

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

Looks like the SPD have pipped the Greens for second then despite all the hype of the Greens beforehand. The CDU is down but will have its pick of whether to work with the Greens again or the SPD, CDU+AfD is more than SPD + Greens on those numbers but the CDU has refused to work with the AfD.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.
    The Pittsburgh killer was a neo Nazi who had even disowned Trump as 'a globalist and not a nationalist' and had refused to vote for him in 2016. He was more David Duke than Trump though the mail bomber last week was likely a Trump supporter but that had no injuries

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7601226/pittsburgh-synagogue-shooter-trump-antisemitic/
    I'm not sure saying the mail bomber was stupid and incompetent as well as malevolent is exactly a great advert for Trump supporters...
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    In less-reported news, a man from Utah has bee arrested for sending substances related to ricin (perhaps just beans) to Trump and other US officials:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/us/pentagon-ricin-utah.html

Comment 2
    1: it's odd how this has gained less traction than the bombs to the Dems;
    2: the US postal service appear to be very good and fast at helping track who sent mail.

Edit: or maybe the USPS doesn't have to be good; allegedly some of the letters had his return address!
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ricin-charges-trump-1.4850715
  • Options
    51 state/district governors?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

The last Forschungruppe Whalen poll almost totally accurate if confirmed (Linke slightly overstated). Will the CDU-Green coalition still have a majority?
    second round of polls in, show CDU Greens one seat short of control, so needs to be a 3 party coalition

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

Looks like the SPD have pipped the Greens for second then despite all the hype of the Greens beforehand. The CDU is down but will have its pick of whether to work with the Greens again or the SPD, CDU+AfD is more than SPD + Greens on those numbers but the CDU has refused to work with the AfD.
    Re CDU + AfD, who would be the third member of the coalition? With only 40% of the vote, and with the SPD, Greens and Linke between them having more seats, it wouldn't really be a viable coalition. Indeed, the CDU can broadly choose between the Greens and the SPD.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

not over yet

Both CDU and SPD have lost 10.9% each of the votes
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.

David Duke supported Trump as I recall.

“Voting for these people [Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz], voting against Donald Trump at this point is really treason to your heritage. I’m not saying I endorse everything about Trump, in fact I haven’t formally endorsed him. But I do support his candidacy, and I support voting for him as a strategic action. I hope he does everything we hope he will do.”

— David Duke, on his radio program, Feb. 25, 2016
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

On that baisis, the fact that political incontinent Trump actually became the Rep candidate must mean that the other GOP candidates were really, really awful.
    Do you remember Rubio in debate just repeating the same line over and over and over. It was embarrassing.
  • Options

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

second round of polls in, show CDU Greens one seat short of control, so needs to be a 3 party coalition

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    Add the FDP too and there is the majority
  • Options
    There's an American reality TV series called Top Hooker.

Really.

It's about fishing, obviously.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

In less-reported news, a man from Utah has bee arrested for sending substances related to ricin (perhaps just beans) to Trump and other US officials:

Comment 2
    2: the US postal service appear to be very good and fast at helping track who sent mail.

Edit: or maybe the USPS doesn't have to be good; allegedly some of the letters had his return address!

There is a wonderful story, that I would love to think is true, that a mail bomber put his address on a mail bomb he sent. As he had put the wrong address on, the parcel was returned to him. Without realising what it was, he opened it and was killed by the resulting explosion.

I suspect it's an urban myth, but what a superb example it would be of karma if true.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    currently german TV forecasting only Jamaica will work as a coalition
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.

I was referring to the mail bomber.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You can spend too much time commenting below the line?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Comment 2

Is he a Democrat supporter or just a freelance nutcase? His targets seem unusual for a Democrat.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

Re CDU + AfD, who would be the third member of the coalition? With only 40% of the vote, and with the SPD, Greens and Linke between them having more seats, it wouldn't really be a viable coalition. Indeed, the CDU can broadly choose between the Greens and the SPD.
    It would require the FDP, the FDP being the CDU's traditional coalition partners but like the CDU they have ruled out any deals with the AfD. CDU+AfD+FDP is more than SPD+Greens+Linke in Hesse it seems. Indeed in Bavaria CSU+AfD was also more than the SPD + Greens (Linke won no seats in Bavaria).

At the moment Merkel considers the AfD beyond the pale but if a more conservative CDU/CSU leader replaces her as Chancellor before the next election I wonder if they will be so quick to rule out any AfD deals and even if they still do so will any regional CDU/CSU premier break ranks eventually?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Comment 2

Is he a Democrat supporter or just a freelance nutcase? His targets seem unusual for a Democrat.
    I don't know: it feels like he was targeting the military chain of command - he's ex Navy.

If it was just beans, without any treatment, then he's probably going to go away for a long time for something relatively harmless. But perhaps rightly so ...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    CDU+SPD+FDP might too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    CDU+SPD+FDP might too
    mathematically perhaps but I cant see the FDP wanting to chain themselves to a corpse
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Deplorable.

David Duke supported Trump as I recall.

“Voting for these people [Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz], voting against Donald Trump at this point is really treason to your heritage. I’m not saying I endorse everything about Trump, in fact I haven’t formally endorsed him. But I do support his candidacy, and I support voting for him as a strategic action. I hope he does everything we hope he will do.”

— David Duke, on his radio program, Feb. 25, 2016
    They fell out after Trump eventually condemned white supremacists in Charlottesville

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/david-duke-trump-charlottesville_us_5991d6bae4b08a2472764798
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Off topic, apologies ... but Brexit.
    There's a intriguing thought in Charles Moore's latest Spectator notes about why May appears determined to keep the UK in the customs union. "It would be very interesting to know if she has given some private undertakings to the British motor industry."

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Do you remember Rubio in debate just repeating the same line over and over and over. It was embarrassing.
    Yep.
    I was going to say he was only behind Perry for crapness, but then I started remembering the others. Is weakness in shallowness the opposite of strength in depth?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1056592374607024130

The guy was one of those sent a pipe bomb last week iirc.

Republicans should hang their heads in shame that they have let this divisive lunatic near the Whitehouse.
  • Options

'Twas a pleasure to publish this.

Thank you. I'll get another one in next weekend so we can compare the two snapshots: should help in establishing trends.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Yep.
    I was going to say he was only behind Perry for crapness, but then I started remembering the others. Is weakness in shallowness the opposite of strength in depth?
    Did decent GOP candidates hang back because everyone assumed HRC would win that year?

Or is the GOP completely devoid of presidential material?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Mr. 1000, obviously. Rugby isn't very popular in the US.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Comment 2

There is a wonderful story, that I would love to think is true, that a mail bomber put his address on a mail bomb he sent. As he had put the wrong address on, the parcel was returned to him. Without realising what it was, he opened it and was killed by the resulting explosion.

I suspect it's an urban myth, but what a superb example it would be of karma if true.
    I heard a great one on a ?Podcast? a few months back. A retired bomb investigations officer met up at an informal meeting with ex-colleagues - a yearly occurrence. One mentioned a bombing they'd recently had, and the device had unusual design features. The retired man recognised the description as being similar to a device used by a man in the 1970s.

In that case in the 1970s, a man had made a series of bombs. He had left one unaddressed on the kitchen table as he did something else, and his wife opened it, severely injuring her.

The latest attempted bombing was by the same man, decades later.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Re Hesse. Important to note CDU- Grune and CDU-SPD are both only one seat short of a majority. Minor changes to the exit poll could have major implications.
    Maybe wait and see?
  • Options
    Greens lead amongst the higher educated:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1056602848878833664

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Marco Rubio finished third in Iowa and became odds on favourite for the nomination.

No bigger betting moment in recent history. I am ashamed that I only laid a portion of my bankroll on that ludicrous mis-price rather than the whole ducking lot.
  • Options
    I miss Cromwell.
  • Options
    Actually I tell a lie, Jeb Bush @ 10 after 5 primaries was probably more ridiculous. It genuinely scared me off the market as I couldn't work out what other people could possibly be thinking.
  • Options
    Or this sad case:

"After the hearing, detectives disclosed that Dyer, who will be sentenced next month, was caught when a blackmail letter giving details of his bombing campaign was left in a newsagent's photocopier.

His deadlines were unusable because he muddled his dates up, and during the campaign investigators discovered that three bombs in a sorting office had not reached their destinations because too few stamps had been put on them."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1329223/Bungling-letter-bomber-put-on-too-few-stamps.html
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Yep.
    Did decent GOP candidates hang back because everyone assumed HRC would win that year?

No they all held back in 2012 as they assumed Obama would be re elected and all ran in 2016 from Christie to Jeb Bush to Rubio to Cruz to Kasich, just Trump also decided against a 2012 run and his message in 2016 was what GOP primary voters wanted to hear
  • Options

American Football is not too dissimilar to rugby, indeed a number of New Zealanders are now playing in the NFL
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Marco Rubio finished third in Iowa and became odds on favourite for the nomination.

No bigger betting moment in recent history. I am ashamed that I only laid a portion of my bankroll on that ludicrous mis-price rather than the whole ducking lot.
    I'll be forever grateful to the Betfair community for that, as someone who was laying Donald Trump massively at that point it allowed me some recovery.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

The Greens and FDP and Linke do better with graduates than the average Hesse voter on those figures, the CDU, SPD and AfD do worse, the AfD especially so
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Comment 2

Why is it odd? The date in your link is four weeks old; the ricin (or was it?) powder guy sent letters that sfaict went nowhere. The bombs to Dems man sent things that went bang to famous politicians and also targeted CNN where his bomb caused the studio to be evacuated during a live broadcast. It is hardly odd that one led to more headlines: try the thought experiment here, and you'd surely get the same result.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Yep.

There were no decent GOP candidates.

Hilary was seen as a weak candidate, indeed I thought there was no way the GOP could lose with her as the candidate - right up until it was clear that Trump was going to be the nominee. At that point I thought there was no way the Dems could lose.

I was wrong.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

American Football is not too dissimilar to rugby, indeed a number of New Zealanders are now playing in the NFL
    Yeah but do they have hookers?
  • Options

51 state/district governors?

Damn, fair point. 50 state governors, one district governor (the Mayor of the District of Columbia). But the incumbent (Muriel Bowser) term lasts to 2019 and not up for election this year, so that's...OK? Any other bad numbers, point them out.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,304
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

I dare you to say that at a rugby union club.

They'd be embarrassed to play with all that protection.

I suppose you could say American football is a lot like rugby league with their big girl's blouse fifth/sixth tackle rule.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I suppose you could say American football is a lot like rugby league with their big girl's blouse fifth/sixth tackle rule.
    Some have played in both league and union eg Jonathan Davies, ironic that the northern version of rugby has the most protection considering it is northerners who are supposed to be tough and southerners who are supposed to be softies
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Seems so
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Hooker
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

Seems so
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malik_Hooker
    touché
  • Options

Comment 2

Why is it odd? The date in your link is four weeks old; the ricin (or was it?) powder guy sent letters that sfaict went nowhere. The bombs to Dems man sent things that went bang to famous politicians and also targeted CNN where his bomb caused the studio to be evacuated during a live broadcast. It is hardly odd that one led to more headlines: try the thought experiment here, and you'd surely get the same result.
    An unrelated point: did any of the idiot's bombs actually go bang?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    Is this like the national elections, near proportional over qualifying level.

In which case, with the sum above being 93.6%, close to 47% plus non aggression might do the job and Full Jamaica may not be needed. In order of possibility, the above could, in theory, work:

CDU / Green with SPD assent
    CDU / SPD with Green assent
    SPD / Green / Linke with CDU assent

None without problems, but all get round the FDP not being natural bedfellows with the centre left parties and the AfD not being potential bedfellows for anyone.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2018

Comment 2

Some, pehaps most, criminals are quite stupid. Did you see the story earlier in the week about the group of robbers that were told to come back later when the store would have more money, did so and were supprised to find the police wating for them?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Pro_Rata said:

JohnO said:

CDU 28
    SPD 20
    Greens 19.5
    AfD 12
    FDP 7.5
    Linke 6.5

CDU 27.4
    SPD 19,8
    Green 19,8
    AfD 12,8
    FDP 7.2
    Linke 6.6
    Is this like the national elections, near proportional over qualifying level.

In which case, with the sum above being 93.6%, close to 47% plus non aggression might do the job and Full Jamaica may not be needed. In order of possibility, the above could, in theory, work:

CDU / Green with SPD assent
    CDU / SPD with Green assent
    SPD / Green / Linke with CDU assent

None without problems, but all get round the FDP not being natural bedfellows with the centre left parties and the AfD not being potential bedfellows for anyone.
    The FDP were in coalition with SPD 1969 - 1982 -ie Brandt and Schmidt Governments.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited October 2018
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In the last year or so a couple of ex-pupils of mine have headed over the pond to try their hand at that version of football.
  • Options

Comment 2

Some, pehaps most, criminals are quite stupid. Did you see the story earlier in the week about the group of robbers that were told to come back later when the store would have more money, did so and were supprised to find the police wating for them?
    Yeah, I saw that. I think Stephen Pile's Book of Heroic Failures has many such stories, including a bank robber who wrote his note on the back of a piece of paper that had his address on it ...
  • Options
    Hard to beat the story of the burglar who smashed a shop window one cold night in Edinburgh and was traced by his footprints in the snow.
  • Options

Comment 2

Yeah, I saw that. I think Stephen Pile's Book of Heroic Failures has many such stories, including a bank robber who wrote his note on the back of a piece of paper that had his address on it ...
    I went to see "King of Thieves" (a film about the Hatton Garden job) when it came out, and one of the main messages of the film was quite how stupid most of the thieves had been. They were described as 'analog thieves in a digital world' and had made no effort to hid themselves from the cameras: one even used his own car for part of it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Proper Northeners play League.

American Football involves head on tackling in a way that is quite dangerous without padding. It is not a game for softies.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,230
    HYUFD said:

The Greens and FDP and Linke do better with graduates than the average Hesse voter on those figures, the CDU, SPD and AfD do worse, the AfD especially so
    When they desert Corbyn, perhaps our greens are in for a boost
  • Options

Comment 2

As I understood it he just sent threatening letters and beans but not actually any Ricin or any other toxic substance.

So a big step down from previous Ricin letter campaigns.
  • Options
    I see Philip Green is managing the story well. He's now going with the "it's only a bit of banter" line now.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Evening all :)

http://www.ard.de/home/ard/ARD_Startseite/21920/index.html

The Hesse results close to the final polls but not quite the 28-20-20 split. AfD perhaps marginally stronger than the final polls but it's all fractions. The CDU-Green Coalition can continue with a tiny majority or we could have a CDU-SPD coalition. There don't seem to be many other options on the table - SDP/Green/FDP might work but I can't see it.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    geoffw said:

Hard to beat the story of the burglar who smashed a shop window one cold night in Edinburgh and was traced by his footprints in the snow.

Not as good as the idiot in the old St James Centre in Edinburgh some years ago, who one evening when it had closed, after smuggling himself in, went and threw a brick at a jeweller's window and managed to knock himself out when it bounced back... .Trembler alarms in the window set off, police arrived, security staff surprised etc...
This discussion has been closed.