Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Brexit “deal” reaches another critical week the public

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Brexit “deal” reaches another critical week the public are still totally split

With things apparently coming to the head with the EU withdrawal negotiations the above shows the latest YouGov tracker on how voters think broken down into what they did at the referendum and their current voting intention.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BREXITERS’ passionate opposition to a second referendum is definitely not because of fear they would lose, they have confirmed.

Brexit voters agree that no referendum on the terms of leaving the EU is necessary because they would win and the last one was in no way a fluke.

https://tinyurl.com/LeaversAreTraitors
  • Buckle up, no deal will be amusing.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    FPT

The very essence of a deal is both sides accept it. A deal will not hold if they dont.

You are confusing negotiation tactics on which the EU has outplayed the UK with the final outcome. A one sided deal never sticks.

The 'sides' in this case being people who think we should be in the EU and those we don't. if the deal is unstable, it just makes it more likely we'll rejoin faster.
  • BREXITERS’ passionate opposition to a second referendum is definitely not because of fear they would lose, they have confirmed.

Brexit voters agree that no referendum on the terms of leaving the EU is necessary because they would win and the last one was in no way a fluke.

https://tinyurl.com/LeaversAreTraitors

On balance I would expect remain to win but it is not a rock solid bet
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

FPT

The very essence of a deal is both sides accept it. A deal will not hold if they dont.

You are confusing negotiation tactics on which the EU has outplayed the UK with the final outcome. A one sided deal never sticks.

The 'sides' in this case being people who think we should be in the EU and those we don't. if the deal is unstable, it just makes it more likely we'll rejoin faster.
    the negotiation isnt between remain and leave its between the UK and the EU

do keep up

Buckle up, no deal will be amusing.

or just one huge anti climax
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    What is Labour going to do? Oppose the Government, I should imagine. It is not their job to lend a hand, or come up with alternative strategies on Brexit.
    Whether Corbyn gets this or not remains to be seen. But one of the features of politics in the last 3 years, whatever one's personal views, is that JC is consistently under estimated.
    I can't see any deal that looks anything like what we are hearing going through. The opposition is coming from every direction now. Johnson minor added a whole new dimension.
    Uncharted waters.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited November 2018
  • Buckle up, no deal will be amusing.

or just one huge anti climax
    Story of my life.

FPT

the negotiation isnt between remain and leave its between the UK and the EU

do keep up
    The UK doesn't speak with one voice.

Do wake up.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

It's a nice gesture that they've bothered to let her read it, it's not like anyone cares what she thinks.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,764
    dixiedean said:

What is Labour going to do? Oppose the Government, I should imagine. It is not their job to lend a hand, or come up with alternative strategies on Brexit.
    Whether Corbyn gets this or not remains to be seen. But one of the features of politics in the last 3 years, whatever one's personal views, is that JC is consistently under estimated.
    I can't see any deal that looks anything like what we are hearing going through. The opposition is coming from every direction now. Johnson minor added a whole new dimension.
    Uncharted waters.

By opposing the government, Labour can continue to retain the votes of both leavers and remainers.
    This is normally the point at which Michel Barnier tweets "lol no you idiots".

This is normally the point at which Michel Barnier tweets "lol no you idiots".

If it were, say, Robert Peston tweeting this, I wouldn't take much notice. But, Tony Connelly is pretty reliable and well-informed.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    "I can't believe it's not a customs union"
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited November 2018
    Will we even have a prime minister/cabinet/government this time tomorrow? :D
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    So who will support the emerging deal, who wouldn't oppose the Labour opposition day motion about legal advice today?

And if no-one, do the government go through with forcing a humiliating defeat when they know they will lose?
  • So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

It's a nice gesture that they've bothered to let her read it, it's not like anyone cares what she thinks.

You may not but many more do care what both she thinks and the cabinet agree to
  • Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Uncharted waters.

By opposing the government, Labour can continue to retain the votes of both leavers and remainers.
    Not for much longer ...
    Tony Conmelly on 5 live now.

So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

Name a single person who actually cares what Theresa May thinks.
    So what could that mean? UK bound to follow NI in following EU SI/CU rules?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957
    To avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland, the EU and the UK Govts have agreed to sink Ireland under the Atlantic....

Philip May
  • tpfkar said:

So who will support the emerging deal, who wouldn't oppose the Labour opposition day motion about legal advice today?

And if no-one, do the government go through with forcing a humiliating defeat when they know they will lose?

The deal has to be presented and then truth will be revealed as many agonise over the issues and the implication of their decisions

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Uncharted waters.

Not for much longer ...
    They can argue to one group they oppose the deal, because it takes us out of the EU, and to the other group that they oppose it because it's not the Brexit they voted for.
  • TOPPING said:

I think so. Until Liam Fox sorts out all those new trade deals.
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

Uncharted waters.

Or: by allowing Hard Brexit, Corbyn can own Hard Brexit.
    Says all of UK in Customs Union for a period, but with "deeper provisions for NI and a review mechanism".

TOPPING said:

Or alternatively, NI carved out, Irish Sea border...

Gah!!!

Quite a few, probably. After all, she is the most popular politician in the country, according to YouGov.
    Says reached limit of what Sherpas can achieve. Over to London.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Gah!!!
    I see only sunlit uplands if that happens.
  • Before the last referendum, the wording was not particularly contentious.

Everyone can see that a second referendum is impractical?

Has anyone ever seen how those advocating it want the ballot paper to look like? Thought not.
    Cabinet to go to Number 10 one by one tonight...
  • tpfkar said:

The question is not so much who will support it but who will oppose it. The bits that haven't been tweeted are about how the arrangement ends. I don't see this being signed off unless there are provisions either for unilateral withdrawal (however unlikely that might be in practice), or a termination date to the agreement, when it lapses if no permanent arrangement has been made by then.
  • So the EU have presented the final draft of the May's total capitulation to them.

That is just silly. She is the PM and how she presents this will matter to millions. I would also point out that she is far ahead of Corbyn and is well respected by many voters who recognise the poison chalice she inherited
    Sean_F said:

Quite a few, probably. After all, she is the most popular politician in the country, according to YouGov.
    The competition is really, really poor though...
    dixiedean said:

"You will have my decision tomorrow, Prime Minister...." x about 18
    I hope all the MPs voting on this read the deal before voting for or against.
    Pulpstar said:

That's asking a very great deal.
    dixiedean said:

Says all of UK in Customs Union for a period, but with "deeper provisions for NI and a review mechanism".

i.e. total capitulation.

The absolute worst of the Brexiteer's fears
    The absolute worst of the DUP's fears
    The EU's wet dream. The UK locked into indefinite vassalage, bound by the rules of the EU, paying it for, but with no say whatsoever, unless and until they deign to allow us to leave.

If this is true, her party and the DUP are going to rip her to shreds.

This is going to be bloody.

Though more likely, given the past few months, is that cabinet will take the communique and roundly jam it up May's withered clunge and tomorrow everyone will be denying all knowledge of its existence.
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Caroline Flint springs to mind
    dixiedean said:

Sounds dramatic. :open_mouth:
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Gah!!!
    I think NI will have to follow parts of the SM and the rUK will not. So the "border" in the Irish Sea will have limited elements but not a CU and not for some of the SM
    dixiedean said:

She'd better spend her time inviting about 180 Labour MPs in, one by one.....
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I think the DUP will set a gold standard on due diligence, particularly for the "Northern Ireland" sections mind.
    Pulpstar said:

Wasn't the previous version about 500 pages?
  • Pulpstar said:

I think the cabinet come first in that, as some admit they did not read the WDA or understand it, ie Boris and Davis
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited November 2018

dixiedean said:

i.e. total capitulation.

The EU's wet dream. The UK locked into indefinite vassalage, bound by the rules of the EU, paying it for, but with no say whatsoever, unless and until they deign to allow us to leave.

Though more likely, given the past few months, is that cabinet will take the communique and roundly jam it up May's withered clunge and tomorrow everyone will be denying all knowledge of its existence.
    The UK ends freedom of movement without leaving the customs union.

And they said it couldn't be done!!

needless to say I do not agree with your assessment. not least because the backstop does not involve us paying for those things (although we will no doubt pay for things under the future partnership and other things generally)

Pulpstar said:

Wasn't the previous version about 500 pages?
    Isn't it their job :) ?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Before the last referendum, the wording was not particularly contentious.

Has anyone ever seen how those advocating it want the ballot paper to look like? Thought not.

Given that the desired ballot paper seems to be:-

Should the UK leave the EU
    No
    No

I don't know what the problem is...
    GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Sounds traumatic....

Back me or sack me?
    Race is on for the first cabinet minister to resign.

Dominic Raab, cometh the hour, cometh the man. If you do the dirty on May tonight, you will be PM before christmas...

dixiedean said:

i.e. total capitulation.

needless to say I do not agree with your assessment. not least because the backstop does not involve us paying for those things (although we will no doubt pay for things under the future partnership and other things generally)
    TBH I think it's best to study a document before leaping to conclusions.
  • "Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

I think May is prepared to die on this hill if necessary.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392

That is just silly. She is the PM and how she presents this will matter to millions. I would also point out that she is far ahead of Corbyn and is well respected by many voters who recognise the poison chalice she inherited
    She didn't inherit the poison chalice - that sounds like she got lumped with sorting out Brexit. Rather, she sought it out like a politician version of Indiana Jones. I can have no sympathy for her making a dog's breakfast of the whole thing.

Race is on for the first cabinet minister to resign.

Dominic Raab, cometh the hour, cometh the man. If you do the dirty on May tonight, you will be PM before christmas...

Why would he want the job?
  • Race is on for the first cabinet minister to resign.

And how does that happen
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

i.e. total capitulation.

Oh come now, this is all following the pre-ordained path. May capitulates, a political bloodbath ensues.

It was written in the stars.

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Sounds traumatic....

Back me or sack me?
    After all her screw up's is she really in any position to do a "back me or sack me" job?

"Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

Fortunately, her party is swarming with willing euthanasia practitioners to assist her.
  • GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Sounds traumatic....

Back me or sack me?
    Sounding out for potential resignations, presumably. The risk of a full cabinet discussion without ministers being talked to first is that the Leavers egg each other on and develop a momentum in the meeting.

That said, I don't see how Liam Fox can remain in the cabinet with any credibility if the reports of an indefinite EU-UK CU are right.

She didn't inherit the poison chalice - that sounds like she got lumped with sorting out Brexit. Rather, she sought it out like a politician version of Indiana Jones. I can have no sympathy for her making a dog's breakfast of the whole thing.
    Public opinion perceives TM as having a poisoned chalice
  • Race is on for the first cabinet minister to resign.

David Mundell please.

I win £610 if he does.
    Agreement reached on a "technical level". Popcorn time.

GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

Sounds traumatic....

Back me or sack me?
    Sounding out for potential resignations, presumably. The risk of a full cabinet discussion without ministers being talked to first is that the Leavers egg each other on and develop a momentum in the meeting.

That said, I don't see how Liam Fox can remain in the cabinet with any credibility if the reports of an indefinite EU-UK CU are right.
    Why can't he remain in the cabinet without any credibility, like now?
    edited November 2018

Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

i.e. total capitulation.

Oh come now, this is all following the pre-ordained path. May capitulates, a political bloodbath ensues.

It was written in the stars.
    She's lasted about 18 months longer than I anticipated, after the last election.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

To avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland, the EU and the UK Govts have agreed to sink Ireland under the Atlantic....

Half the DUP would probably vote for that.
  • Trying to remember what happened the last time a Tory Prime Minister invited her cabinet to see her one by one. Did something memorable happen?
  • Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

i.e. total capitulation.

no no no much more fun this way

Reading things THEN concluding on them is my day job
  • "Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

Fortunately, her party is swarming with willing euthanasia practitioners to assist her.
    You really do have a nasty side and it is entirely unnecessary
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

David Mundell please.

I win £610 if he does.

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1062381729510576129
    edited November 2018

"Understand that DUP have not seen the text yet, so as yet unknown whether it crosses any of the DUP’s “red lines”"

I like to think I add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

Also, you're too sensitive.

If you prefer I can use a PB Oldie But Goodie(tm) and say May is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker?
    Please note. Am repeating what I understood Tony Connelly to say on R5L. Treat with caution as my brain is not the best...
    dixiedean said:

Please note. Am repeating what I understood Tony Connelly to say on R5L. Treat with caution as my brain is not the best...

his "a UK-wide customs arrangement, but will have "deeper" provisions for Northern Ireland on the customs and regulatory side."

Is the $64k question.

[snip]

The chapter in Tim Shipman's All Out War is superb on the technical battle on the rules the referendum would be fought under. While it might not have been a contentious public issue, the wording of the referendum may well have been critical. The Leave campaigners got the Electoral Commission to change the answers from Yes/No to Leave/Remain. There is evidence that that change alone was sufficient to swing the result.
  • Trying to remember what happened the last time a Tory Prime Minister invited her cabinet to see her one by one. Did something memorable happen?

I know you mean Maastricht but have there been other occasions before or since?

I like to think to add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

If you prefer I can use a PB Oldie But Goodie(tm) and say May is going to get pounded like a dockside hooker?
    I call out unnecessary language whenever it is used.

I am not sensitive but treat people with respect.

I like to think to add a visceral and earthy realism to drab political debate.

I call out unnecessary language whenever it is used.

I am not sensitive but treat people with respect.
    You seem to be under a significant delusion that I have any respect for May whatsoever? I'm not sure where you'd have gotten that impression.

But, they hate each other even more than they hate her.

For all my life, mutual hatred has been the fuel that's kept the Conservative Party going.

I was thinking the night before Mrs Thatcher announced her resignation.

I was thinking the night before Mrs Thatcher announced her resignation.
    well history lesson taken

People post versions on here regularly.
  • Scott_P said:
    That's a beautifully-placed 'play' button.
    Tessie M is going for the modern version of back me or sack me: the back, sack and crack me.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    dixiedean said:

Surely the animals cabinet went in,
    Two by two,
    Hurrah! Hurrah!
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Sky saying Varadkar has just announced negotiations are still ongoing.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Popcorn alert level 2.
  • TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

his "a UK-wide customs arrangement, but will have "deeper" provisions for Northern Ireland on the customs and regulatory side."

Is the $64k question.
    Yes - on the face of it, that's contradictory. Unless it's limited to a few very specific cases where there is genuinely an all-Ireland market significantly in excess of an intra-UK one (e.g. energy), that's going to be a very hard sell to the DUP.
  • RobD said:

Popcorn alert level 2.

Do try and pace yourself
This discussion has been closed.