Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now Corbyn and TMay are scrapping over whether the BBC or ITV

Comments

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

HYUFD said:

A couple of notable things from that Deltapoll to tide us over until we get a proper thread on it:

1 - Both No Deal and May's deal being pairwise preferred to remain. First time I've seen that I think- and it suggests that maybe Project Fear 2/Project Hysteria might not being having the effect on the great unhosed it's meant to. It's remain that's lost by far the most ground.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR, PEOPLE'S VOTERS

2 - A swing against May's deal since the last poll, in the three-choice category, mostly to the benefit of no deal. Not big swings, but still a swing from May to No Deal, and not suggesting much in the way of the Big Mo for May.

Again, this is not what was supposed to be happening...

BTW, does anyone know whether Deltapoll is BPC registered?

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

That is a big boost for May and a blow to People's Vote campaigners

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1068243124076593152?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    It's genuinely curious. Government spends two days going full-on apocalyptic about No Deal, and it actually becomes MORE popular.

That's it, I give up. I no longer understand anything in this world any more.
    Well we’ve heard it all before.

U.K. manufacturing was going to leave if we didn’t join the Euro. Rubbish.

Osborne stood up and told us it would be instant recession and punishment budget if we voted leave. Rubbish.

Now it possibly true the latest round of dire scenarios are right, it’s possible they are not, however, wolf has been cried too often before.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    HYUFD said:

A couple of notable things from that Deltapoll to tide us over until we get a proper thread on it:

1 - Both No Deal and May's deal being pairwise preferred to remain. First time I've seen that I think- and it suggests that maybe Project Fear 2/Project Hysteria might not being having the effect on the great unhosed it's meant to. It's remain that's lost by far the most ground.

2 - A swing against May's deal since the last poll, in the three-choice category, mostly to the benefit of no deal. Not big swings, but still a swing from May to No Deal, and not suggesting much in the way of the Big Mo for May.

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Leave with May Deal 58%
    Leave without a Deal 42%

That is a big boost for May and a blow to People's Vote campaigners.

Nothing is a blow to the dishonestname campaigners. It's always been predicated on the basis that no matter what polls showed at the time, if asked again people would make the right choice. I reluctantly have said we need a new vote just so MPs actually make a decision, but the campaigners have been working on it for years no matter what any poll showed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    edited November 2018

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Trump cadres who are too dumb to do basic research are the best.

Hooray!

A new contender for most unselfaware post of 2018.
  • Options
    Theo said:

So Labour are blocking the UK leaving without a deal and also blocking the deal?

May should just go to town on them refusing to listen to democracy and wanting to maintain open doors mass immigration.

How are they blocking the deal, the meaningful vote on the deal will include approved amendments, so TM deal or total deadlock
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    And if so ERG have the choice, TM deal or remain

That would be popcorn time
    The ERG will surely vote against that amendment.
    But it's probable that all the opposition parties and quite a few remainer Tories will vote for it, so it must have a good chance of passing.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I am more concerned some idiot who works at the BBC tried to make cheese on toast in a toaster.....
    We tried that when I was a student. Just the once. To be fair, we did turn the toaster onto its side, but failed to account for a hole in the bread.
    These days, you can get little sachets or envelopes that you put the 'cheese sandwich' into, and it toasts it for you. More of a toasted cheese sandwich than cheese on toast, but perhaps that's what gave the idea?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1068243124076593152?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    It's genuinely curious. Government spends two days going full-on apocalyptic about No Deal, and it actually becomes MORE popular.

But May's deal isn't leaving with no deal.
    Sorry, there's several questions.

Scenario: Remain or leave with no deal
    Remain: 48% (-2)
    Leave without deal: 52% (+2)

Scenario: Remain or leave with May deal
    Leave with May deal: 56%
    Remain: 44%

Scenario: Remain is not an option
    Leave with May deal: 58%
    Leave without deal: 42%

Scenario: three-choice, first preference
    Remain: 39%
    Leave with May deal: 33%
    Leave without deal: 28%

(source https://twitter.com/EuropeElects)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Theo said:

So Labour are blocking the UK leaving without a deal and also blocking the deal?

You are expecting Jeremy Corbyn or Keir Starmer to understand basic logic.

When it was handed out they were there, but they weren't involved.
  • Options
    Theo said:

May should just go to town on them refusing to listen to democracy and wanting to maintain open doors mass immigration.

She will find that hard when Labour's actions are shared by dozens of her own party, albeit for different reasons.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Theo said:

You are expecting Jeremy Corbyn or Keri Starmer to understand basic logic.

When it was handed out they were there, but they weren't involved.
    Keir Starmer is working for Labour to eventually back remain. If we won't back May's deal, and won't no deal, and if Labour cannot negotiate a new one or are not able to be in a position where they can, then what option remains for them but, er, remain?

It will be an interesting test for Corbyn.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

So Remain beats No Deal if May's Deal is in the mix; No Deal beats Remain if May's Deal is not included. That's clear then.

Large pinch of salt anyone?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

So Remain beats No Deal if May's Deal is in the mix; No Deal beats Remain if May's Deal is not included. That's clear then.

What we've got here is a classic Condorcet paradox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_paradox
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Put all of those options on the ballot paper and really mess with the electorate's head
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

If you have a three way referendum then you either have to do it two stage or by the alternative vote.
  • Options
    Not a good day for Germany what with Deutsche Bank, Bayer and now Merkel's plane.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Osborne stood up and told us it would be instant recession and punishment budget if we voted leave. Rubbish.

Now it possibly true the latest round of dire scenarios are right, it’s possible they are not, however, wolf has been cried too often before.
    It is also possible for the forecast to be in error in the opposite direction too.

Though I still think Brexit goes with a whimper rather than a bang.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

You know a few caveats on your posts, indeed most posts, would be wise in this chaotic time

I have been saying that TM is receiving a good public response, especially with women, who perceive the attacks on her as unfair and from some mysognist. More polls are needed but the next 2 weeks are going to be huge in the theatre of public opinion
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Foxy said:

In an interesting turn of events, it appears that Trump's Trade War with China has reduced US exports and increased its imports:

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

Probably this just reflects Trump's consumer boom and the Chinese slowdown, but I did raise a wry smile. @RCS1000 would say it is all down to savings ratio.

The issue is that a tax cutting budget is likely to cause imports to be sucked in. (See Barber, Anthony.) If you reduce what people have to pay every month to the government, they have more money to spend, yet the productive power of the economy has not changed,

In this particular case, it is that the government - rather than the consumer - is the one doing the borrowing. But the effect is the same, to worsen the current account deficit.

(A corollary in the UK is that the relatively cautious, deficit reducing, budgets of Hammond have worked to increases the UK's aggregate savings rate, with the government portion of the equation borrowing less.)
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

The other problem for any referendum predicated in the British public not voting irrationally and massively against their own interests is

1) that's what the advocates of the referendum believed the UK did the first time around
    2) the public don't expect to be given a vote on a choice between being rational and irrational.

They reasonably believe that any sane Government/Parliament would not allow them that choice. So the "irrational" choice is not really irrational. QED. And will reasonably not accept responsibility for being shown to be wrong.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Has Newsnight explained yet why they had a fake woman vicar on the show a few days ago?

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1068202257408294913
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Yup. But it shows the difficulty of deciding what questions to ask, in what order, what precise wording, and what voting system to use when you have a non binary choice.

I’d fear the result, whatever it was, would be subject to all kinds of issues. It’s also far from a slam dunk for any choice.

• Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

It is also possible for the forecast to be in error in the opposite direction too.

Not quite as sure now though.

This seems to be moving to confirm brexit of some kind is the publics choice
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

The referendum question is a tricky one. It's essentially trying to guess what will happen in the aftermath of May's deal getting trounced, when a large number of MPs will have to face up to the fact that it might not be possible to do what they said they would do, eg renegotiate (good luck to them if in fact they can do that). I think including May's deal would be unjustified if it is so comprehensively rejected, but if by some miracle May is not removed or quits after her deal is voted down, she would surely insist on its inclusion. But I don't see how no deal or remain get left off, if it is to get votes to be approved.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    And if so ERG have the choice, TM deal or remain

That would be popcorn time
    The ERG will surely vote against that amendment.
    But it's probable that all the opposition parties and quite a few remainer Tories will vote for it, so it must have a good chance of passing.
    Very good chance
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Has Newsnight explained yet why they had a fake woman vicar on the show a few days ago?

Except, we now know Maitlis was either lying or mistaken. The fake vicar came from an agency that specialises in providing "representative focus groups" (i.e. actors).
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    welshowl said:

Yup. But it shows the difficulty of deciding what questions to ask, in what order, what precise wording, and what voting system to use when you have a non binary choice.

I’d fear the result, whatever it was, would be subject to all kinds of issues. It’s also far from a slam dunk for any choice.

There are ways of resolving Condorcet cycles in pairwise voting, for example, using the Schulze method.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

Which is what Nick Clegg should have proposed over AV. It has the amazing advantage that because the method is so complex, almost nobody fully understands it, and it's practically impossible to guess from looking at the raw data who's gonna win meaning the outcome is nearly always a surprise.

We should have a referendum on it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    BBC bias springing up on my Facebook again :p
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

I think that's right, which means there's a shedload of arguments to get through before the referendum question could be settled.

Another reason why a 2nd ref doesn't feel like the right solution to me.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

That is a substantial move to TM. And I was ignored when I said she was cutting through

However, lets see

• Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Yes true. But when disaster is repeatedly forecast and doesn’t arrive it’s also logical for Joe Public to look at the latest dire warnings and go “yeah, right”.

Frankly a huge drop in the Pound and 5.5% interest rates would really suit me fine, so I’m in (probably a small group) for whom such warnings actually genuinely sound like manna from heaven.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

What we've got here is a classic Condorcet paradox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_paradox
    A poll on it today:

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/steve-fisher-condorcet
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Interesting....

Some overseas cricketers will be eligible to play for England after living in the country for three years under new rules coming in on 1 January.

The updated England and Wales Cricket Board rules mean, for example, that Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer will be eligible to play for England next year.

I wonder if he caused the change or had any idea this might be possibly coming down the pipeline? He is conveniently going to be eligible for the World Cup.

What a joke. On that basis in 2 months time I'll become a Yorkshireman!
    Well this days even been born in Lancashire is no barrier to playing for Yorkshire...
    And, of course, rwas ever thus ;) :

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/tyke-that-fiery-fred-s-revealed-as-lancashire-s-most-famous-son-1-2473760
    What a Scandal....given that at the time only those born there could play for them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

That is a substantial move to TM. And I was ignored when I said she was cutting through

However, lets see

ISTR than in the three-question one, May's deal is actually a big drop from last time. TBH, these polls are a confused and contradictory mess. It proves fairly decisively that people find it hard to give meaningful answers to hypotheticals and counterfactuals.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Interesting....

Some overseas cricketers will be eligible to play for England after living in the country for three years under new rules coming in on 1 January.

The updated England and Wales Cricket Board rules mean, for example, that Sussex all-rounder Jofra Archer will be eligible to play for England next year.

I wonder if he caused the change or had any idea this might be possibly coming down the pipeline? He is conveniently going to be eligible for the World Cup.

Well this days even been born in Lancashire is no barrier to playing for Yorkshire...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/tyke-that-fiery-fred-s-revealed-as-lancashire-s-most-famous-son-1-2473760
    What a Scandal....given that at the time only those born there could play for them.
    Truemangate!
  • Options

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

I think that's right, which means there's a shedload of arguments to get through before the referendum question could be settled.

I agree. It won’t solve anything, and could make things even worse.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

However, lets see

ISTR than in the three-question one, May's deal is actually a big drop from last time. TBH, these polls are a confused and contradictory mess. It proves fairly decisively that people find it hard to give meaningful answers to hypotheticals and counterfactuals.
    Very true.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

However, lets see

Perhaps but given the sledging of May's deal by her opponents has been almost universally that it's shite, those are not bad numbers.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Except, we now know Maitlis was either lying or mistaken. The fake vicar came from an agency that specialises in providing "representative focus groups" (i.e. actors).
    https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1068212458509266944
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Foxy said:

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Yes true. But when disaster is repeatedly forecast and doesn’t arrive it’s also logical for Joe Public to look at the latest dire warnings and go “yeah, right”.

Frankly a huge drop in the Pound and 5.5% interest rates would really suit me fine, so I’m in (probably a small group) for whom such warnings actually genuinely sound like manna from heaven.
    There's another factor too which is when you treat people like idiots and act condescendingly to them it is just as likely to get their back up and see pushback. These ludicrous Chicken Licken doom-mongering are likely for some people not just not believed but makes people think the opposite. If people think you're lying and that the only way to argue your case is to spread lies then that undermines rather than reinforces your case.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

HYUFD said:

Survation this week had Remain 10% ahead of No Deal Leave and 9% ahead of Leave with a Deal but this Delta poll shows those relying on a ' People's Vote' are not guaranteed a Remain win
    I think we have to Leave with No Deal. It is the only way to sort this out.
    In which case the Brexit Show-trials that OGH is so keen on will be of those who blocked efforts to prepare - and left us unprotected from such an outcome.
    Dear god there is always going to be an excuse isn't there.

HYUFD said:

Survation this week had Remain 10% ahead of No Deal Leave and 9% ahead of Leave with a Deal but this Delta poll shows those relying on a ' People's Vote' are not guaranteed a Remain win
    In which case the Brexit Show-trials that OGH is so keen on will be of those who blocked efforts to prepare - and left us unprotected from such an outcome.
    If we are stupid enough to go down the No Deal route then we need to ditch May, let a hardliner take over, delay A50 for 24 months then leave.

At that point the leavers will finally have run out of f**ing excuses and there will be nobody else to blame, though I have no doubt some more will be dreamed up in the meantime. Iron law of Brexit, nothing is the fault of Brexit it is always just the wrong sort of Brexit.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

al: 42%

However, lets see

I can believe it. I just don't see how it matters to getting something like 50-70MPs to change their position when they have so clearly stated it. And if we all still expect the vote to be lost, how a second vote on it materialises even with a public move like this - the reasons for MPs voting against apply irrespective of public opinion, or at best lead to a second referendum
    A political tribe is a political tribe, subject to the same political behaviours and even if it is a bit looser. I'd think of myself as a centrist type, leaning centre right, and I'd be naiive to think, however hard I might try, that I don't at least occasionally (and perhaps more than that) give in to the same impulses as any partisan.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1068212458509266944
    I have to say I have always wondered what weirdos agree to go on politics show as part of a focus group. Same as why mr no brexit doesn’t appear to have a job nor a family that misses him.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

welshowl said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

I think the forecasts for FTA v full membership are immaterial over 15 years.

A lot of that difference is due to gross GDP output increase due to higher immigration, not GDP per capita.

Many people would prefer slightly people in a slightly smaller economy with their own net wealth unaffected. And that's before we get onto AI which might throw all sorts of economic models out of kilter over the next 20 years (hint: May's deal gives us full autonomy in digital regulation)
  • Options
    OllyT said:

If we are stupid enough to go down the No Deal route then we need to ditch May, let a hardliner take over, delay A50 for 24 months then leave.

At that point the leavers will finally have run out of f**ing excuses and there will be nobody else to blame, though I have no doubt some more will be dreamed up in the meantime. Iron law of Brexit, nothing is the fault of Brexit it is always just the wrong sort of Brexit.

If we are no dealing why would the EU give us 24 months through an A50 delay? They were asking the WA as the price of buying us the same amount of time for transition!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I linked to s13(1)(d) of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act earlier. There are a veritable thicket of hurdles to be overcome, some of which, at least, also involve the Lords where the government is even shorter of a majority than it is in the Commons. It seems increasingly likely to me that remainers who were elected on respect the vote manifestos in 2017 are going to stop this.

If the House of Commons backs someone - anything - it will be a massive constitutional outrage to see the unelected Lords attempt to stymie both the referendum result and the Commons own verdict on it. Can't see that happening, it is the Commons where the battle has to happen.
    Certainly the legislation makes it clear that the meaningful vote is in the Commons whilst the Lords simply have a debate. But the subsequent consequential legislation is likely to be problematic in both Houses (should we ever have to worry about that).
    More problematic in the Commons and if its gotten through the meaningful vote then I can't imagine too much desire to then risk it all there even. The Lords may 'ping pong' a couple of amendments but I think the lack of a majority in the Commons is a much greater concern for the government than a lack of majority in the Lords.

The ticking clock comes into play here too. The Lords don't have time to truly mess around with something the Commons have approved without risking not just a constitutional outrage but also risking an accidental no deal. Their Lordships (is that the right phrase?) can't afford to risk that.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Probably inevitably. Let's face it, the other two options are not exactly attractive, so the middle of the road was always going to draw some converts .... even if without any enthusiasm.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

It's a horrible solution. I just don't see another one that looks like it will pass parliament and the EU in the time we have.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

If you have a three way referendum then you either have to do it two stage or by the alternative vote.
    If parliament can't decide and it is put back to the people to Remain (terms tbc) or to Leave with May's deal, it does suggest it's not a foregone conclusion.
  • Options

OGH Tweets

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1068251408661659650

Seems like project fear 2.0 is working.
  • Options
    Here's a thought: If we end up with either No Deal or Remain there will be widescale civil protests and deep divisions that will take a long, long time to heal.

Only some kind of soft-Brexit deal (like May's or similar) can prevent that imo.
  • Options

OGH Tweets

Project fear 1.0 worked to some extent, it just didn't work enough.
  • Options

OGH Tweets

Project Fear 2.0 is against no deal, not remain.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I love the fact that Trump's lawyers are Burkes.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

It's a horrible solution. I just don't see another one that looks like it will pass parliament and the EU in the time we have.
    Let's see how quickly the p**ple's vote campaign rolls back on a 2nd referendum once they realise there's a serious chance they might actually lose it.
  • Options

Here's a thought: If we end up with either No Deal or Remain there will be widescale civil protests and deep divisions that will take a long, long time to heal.

Only some kind of soft-Brexit deal (like May's or similar) can prevent that imo.

Well divisions will exist that are hard to heal even then, but one would hope they are not quite so pronounced. It's the 'or similar' gang pushing us to remain or no deal though, so we had best pray they are right about getting something more.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    If only his bankers are Hoares.
  • Options

OGH Tweets

That's against Remain, not No Deal. Project Fear should really be boosting Remain if it were working.

It might actually be damaging it however if it makes waverers believe this is the only chance we have to leave an EU that's only becoming less popular.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

OllyT said:

If we are no dealing why would the EU give us 24 months through an A50 delay? They were asking the WA as the price of buying us the same amount of time for transition!
    Indeed. Quite frankly, if the tables were turned we'd tell them to FO and I'd expect them to do that to us in this instance.
  • Options

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Let's see how quickly the p**ple's vote campaign rolls back on a 2nd referendum once they realise there's a serious chance they might actually lose it.
    That would be incredibly intellectually dishonest of them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    His Representatives are. Does that count?
  • Options

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Yup. But it shows the difficulty of

It has always been a toss-up. I would rather have that than no chance.

I think it unlikely though, as I predict the Commons to pass May's Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So we should assume it will happen?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OGH Tweets

That's against Remain, not No Deal. Project Fear should really be boosting Remain if it were working.

It might actually be damaging it however if it makes waverers believe this is the only chance we have to leave an EU that's only becoming less popular.
    Same poll had May's Deal v No Deal at 58% / 42% I believe.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    When the Survation Mail poll came out I posted that direction of travel / momentum were what is key.

Now tonight's numbers bear that out - the momentum towards May's deal has continued and it's now in the lead in a head to head against either other option.

If this continues it could end up in the lead by a very wide margin.

Incidentally it's a long time since we've had a Voting intention poll.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    My wife's brother-in-law and his wife just had a baby boy. His first name is Burke.

So he clearly won't be doing a year abroad in the UK when he goes to college then.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

It's genuinely curious. Gov

You think that's a problem for them?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    My wife's brother-in-law and his wife just had a baby boy. His first name is Burke.

So he clearly won't be doing a year abroad in the UK when he goes to college then.
    Dear me. 'The American student is a Burke' just writes itself as a bullying line in the first week.

Edit - the local squire where I grew up had the unfortunate name of Robin Hoare.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Even if it brings about no deal? You're more honest that many of our MPs.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    edited November 2018

OGH Tweets

Or, people realise May's deal isn't actually that bad.

It's actually quite a hard Brexit. I'm baffled why more Brexiteers aren't fully behind it. I'd have killed for this (figuratively) three years ago.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

When the Survation Mail poll came out I posted that direction of travel / momentum were what is key.

Now tonight's numbers bear that out - the momentum towards May's deal has continued and it's now in the lead in a head to head against either other option.

If this continues it could end up in the lead by a very wide margin.

Incidentally it's a long time since we've had a Voting intention poll.

And TM deserves the credit
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

So we should assume it will happen?
    I think enough polls will look good enough for remain that they will not face that choice. But if it was certain remain would lose, I would not rule out such a campaign to lose faith in the voice of the people pretty darn quick.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

Very many congratulationd to the family
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    MikeL said:

Not really convinced that'll be the case (likely always to be fairly close), but if it did occur May might be tempted by a referendum to break the logjam.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good point! I’m starting to think No Deal and all the misery, impoverishment and humiliation it will entail will be salutary in the long term. Let’s leave the Leavers nowhere to hide. After that we can grind the bastards into the dust.
  • Options
    Can't they put it on some obscure ppv channel? Why do I have to pay for it through my compulsory telly tax?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    What are the party splits?

If May deal is winning amongst all adults it must be winning by an absolute landslide amongst Con voters.

Are Con MPs speaking to their supporters in their constituencies?
  • Options
    Uh oh, people are getting optimistic about the deal again - now I'm waiting for the other show to drop, like a Gove special in coming out against it tomorrow or something.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Pro_Rata said:

Interesting....

Check the date.
  • Options

OGH Tweets

It's actually quite a hard Brexit. I'm baffled why more Brexiteers aren't fully behind it. I'd have killed for this (figuratively) three years ago.
    It’s of course the prospect the backstop and the 27 have to agree vs 1 to break the final logjam. As we saw this week, Spain all of a sudden find a grievance etc etc etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

OGH Tweets

Can we consider the possibility it's because they're idiots who haven't bothered to read what's on offer?

The funny thing is, I'm really drawn to it as a Remainer as well. It offers the prospect of keepin gmost of the stuff I like about the EU - free markets, free travel, security co-operation etc - while getting rid of the deeply problematic stuff like the ludicrous cumbersome bureaucracy, the old boys clubs, whoops, Parliament, Commission and Council and eliminates the kangaroo court, er CJEU.

What's not to like?
  • Options

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good point! I’m starting to think No Deal and all the misery, impoverishment and humiliation it will entail will be salutary in the long term. Let’s leave the Leavers nowhere to hide. After that we can grind the bastards into the dust.
    That's a lot of pain to bring about on what you assume on little evidence will be a good long term outcome, clearly you have a lot more in common with no deal leavers than you perhaps might think.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018
    dodrade said:

Pro_Rata said:

Interesting....

Check the date.
    I know, 1st of April...I was joking. Although it is a goodie.
  • Options

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not really a post to be proud of is it.
  • Options

Can't they put it on some obscure ppv channel? Why do I have to pay for it through my compulsory telly tax?

I think that's a great idea as discovering how many anoraks like us would pay to watch such a thing is probably a good way of gathering info on obsessive political weirdos for a government watchlist :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

OGH Tweets

The questioning leading up to this summary from Yvette Cooper shows why you're wrong to assume this will deliver what you expect. It's very much a pseudo-Brexit.

https://twitter.com/YvetteCooperMP/status/1068134725578035201
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Probably inevitably. Let's face it, the other two options are not exactly attractive, so the middle of the road was always going to draw some converts .... even if without any enthusiasm.
    On Peston one of the reporters explained it thus: "Ten friends go to a restaurant and they have to agree on what to eat. Five like beef, but not fish, the other five like fish but not beef. So they settle on Chicken, none of their favourites, but good enough."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OGH Tweets

Can we consider the possibility it's because they're idiots who haven't bothered to read what's on offer?

The funny thing is, I'm really drawn to it as a Remainer as well. It offers the prospect of keepin gmost of the stuff I like about the EU - free markets, free travel, security co-operation etc - while getting rid of the deeply problematic stuff like the ludicrous cumbersome bureaucracy, the old boys clubs, whoops, Parliament, Commission and Council and eliminates the kangaroo court, er CJEU.

What's not to like?
    VASSALAGE!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    ydoethur said:

OGH Tweets

What's not to like?
    That it might not get delivered? Hotel California Brexit.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

Then it will become 'Parliament should decide'.......
  • Options

ydoethur said:

OGH Tweets

What's not to like?
    That it might not get delivered? Hotel California Brexit.....
    I did say 'prospect...'
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2018

Andrew said:

On Peston one of the reporters explained it thus: "Ten friends go to a restaurant and they have to agree on what to eat. Five like beef, but not fish, the other five like fish but not beef. So they settle on Chicken, none of their favourites, but good enough."
    Except these days one of them will be a militant vegan...who wont even eat the bread from the bread basket.
  • Options

Andrew said:

Three decide immediately to just go home instead, and four others refuse to pay for it as it is not what they initially wanted, and a punch up ensues.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    @Pulpstar NC9 gets murkier. The GOPer who was defeated in the primary is now throwing aspertions about their fellow GOP opponent. See the previous tweet as well.

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1068254621309837312?s=19
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leave with May Deal 56%
    Remain 44%

So Remain beats ?

Even if it brings about no deal? You're more honest that many of our MPs.
    The #peoplesvote vote would only happen if May's deal is voted down.

I predict that it will pass though. Tory Brexiteers are chickens.
  • Options
    O/T Robert Mueller - surely destined to become one of the America's all-time heroes.

I am not normally a fan of Republicans but this man deserves a medal*. He seems to be single-handedly saving US democracy and justice.

(* I appreciate he's already got quite a few!)
  • Options

Andrew said:

Could have been worse. What Mogg and Corbyn are proposing is getting kicked out of the restaurant in a violent and disorderly fashion and being forced to eat pizza, outside, while cold, with extra pineapple.

Then they wonder why they are less popular than they feel they should be.
This discussion has been closed.