Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There are four Brexit options and Remain is the least likely

124»

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Good piece David (as usual)

Henceforth we're ARLTB - All Road's Lead To Brexit

https://twitter.com/commonslibrary/status/1068476917228232705

I find this handy chart (from the Telegraph) useful:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Nice chart... but it could do with another column headed "Avoids trashing the economy" - May's Deal = moderate yes; No Deal = strong no
    Exactly. Having a column for the fishing industry, which employees fewer people than Harrods, and not for the economic implications upon which the jobs of many depend, is not a balanced assessment.
    Although given the vast, unneeded, and probably irreversible ecological damage it has caused, arguably an ability to leave the CFP is one of the more understandable reasons for being a Leaver.
    The CFP gets a bad press, but it is actually helping fish stocks recover. The biggest problem is politicians ignoring the science and allowing overfishing.
    Too true, And all this talk of "keeping our fish" ignores the fact that the herring and mackerel caught in UK waters aren't to British taste (75% of the UK catch is exported, much to the EU) with most of the fare served across the counters of our "British" fish and chip shops being imported, much from the EU.
    A lot of the discards used to be fish that people didn't want to eat. There's been some good campaigning to get people eating unpopular fish like gurnard.

I worry that in the excitement at taking back control, we will return to overfishing.
    Almost certainly, I would think.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice chart... but it could do with another column headed "Avoids trashing the economy" - May's Deal = moderate yes; No Deal = strong no
    Exactly. Having a column for the fishing industry, which employees fewer people than Harrods, and not for the economic implications upon which the jobs of many depend, is not a balanced assessment.
    Although given the vast, unneeded, and probably irreversible ecological damage it has caused, arguably an ability to leave the CFP is one of the more understandable reasons for being a Leaver.
    The CFP gets a bad press, but it is actually helping fish stocks recover. The biggest problem is politicians ignoring the science and allowing overfishing.
    Too true, And all this talk of "keeping our fish" ignores the fact that the herring and mackerel caught in UK waters aren't to British taste (75% of the UK catch is exported, much to the EU) with most of the fare served across the counters of our "British" fish and chip shops being imported, much from the EU.
    A lot of the discards used to be fish that people didn't want to eat. There's been some good campaigning to get people eating unpopular fish like gurnard.

I worry that in the excitement at taking back control, we will return to overfishing.
    Almost certainly, I would think.
    With what?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed. Funny though, how even this biased Telegraph chart makes TM's deal look the best option.

Apols for shouting this but:

I HAVE YET TO HEAR A SINGLE CONVINCING ARGUMENT WHY MAY'S DEAL SHOULD NOT BE SUPPORTED.
    The Withdrawal Agreement should be supported because we don't have a real choice and never have done. Incidentally it isn't May's Deal. It's EU Demands, which haven't changed hugely over the past two years. They have added Level Playing Field requirements. Otherwise it's money, citizens' rights and Irish border provisions for a two year extension of the status quo and subsequent negotiations on the final arrangement.

The Political Statement isn't worth the paper it's written on but there is nevertheless no reason to support it.
    There was a twitter thread posted here a week or so ago showing that it was more balanced than that. Both sides have made concessions, it's not true to say the EU just said "no" until they got what they want.
    I think the Withdrawal Agreement is decent as far as it goes. I also think the Irish border backstop is necessary. It forces us to confront the Irish border issue, when we pretended there's no problem and we made no commitment to maintaining a soft GFA border.
    I don't think the GFA precludes customs checks on the border.
    Look at the bigger picture. Do you think economic divergence on the island of Ireland is consistent with the peace settlement?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Jezza should seek to build bridges and offer the job to Hilary Benn.
    Of course he won't do that. He will play the identity politics card and choose an MP of colour because that fits his view of what International Development needs.
  • Options
    I guess we known John McD is working a Saturday then.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Indeed. Funny though, how even this biased Telegraph chart makes TM's deal look the best option.

I HAVE YET TO HEAR A SINGLE CONVINCING ARGUMENT WHY MAY'S DEAL SHOULD NOT BE SUPPORTED.
    The Withdrawal Agreement should be supported because we don't have a real choice and never have done. Incidentally it isn't May's Deal. It's EU Demands, which haven't changed hugely over the past two years. They have added Level Playing Field requirements. Otherwise it's money, citizens' rights and Irish border provisions for a two year extension of the status quo and subsequent negotiations on the final arrangement.

The Political Statement isn't worth the paper it's written on but there is nevertheless no reason to support it.
    There was a twitter thread posted here a week or so ago showing that it was more balanced than that. Both sides have made concessions, it's not true to say the EU just said "no" until they got what they want.
    I think the Withdrawal Agreement is decent as far as it goes. I also think the Irish border backstop is necessary. It forces us to confront the Irish border issue, when we pretended there's no problem and we made no commitment to maintaining a soft GFA border.
    I disagree. In any case itsi important there aren't any. The backstop ensures this.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Look at the bigger picture. Do you think economic divergence on the island of Ireland is consistent with the peace settlement?
    If you read the FT article I linked yesterday, economic divergence has already taken place, very much to NI's disadvantage.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

That's a point. Will Corbyn be present for the meaningful vote or will he have time off to make up for the TV debate on the weekend?
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Does it matter where the fish end up? I thought the argument was about who gets to do the fishing in the waters around Britain.
    The point is that out industry's future depends rather more on being able to continue importing and exporting fish from the EU than it does on being able to catch more of the fish that happen to be swimming about our own shores.
    The current situation is crazy, long tv report the other day about Dutch boats fishing in uk waters, fish processed in Holland and imported back to the UK. Explains the CFP vitriol from coastal communities.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

I picture a Malcolm Tucker style 'suggestion' that it might be appropriate to step down.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Kate Osamor's tweeted statement.

https://twitter.com/KateOsamor/status/1068889478905892866

Short and sweet.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

More likely the fishing industry would do what it did before and flog post-Brexit quotas to Spanish trawlers -- unless the government plans to subsidise the development of a modern British fishing fleet, which seems unlikely.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,643
    edited December 2018

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Rejecting May's deal increases the chances of a Labour government. That’s why we aren't supporting it.

That is a convincing enough argument from where I sit.
    You've more chance of a Labour government by approving May's deal for the following reasons:

1. Rejecting the deal and heading for no deal won't might remove May but won't remove the the Tories.

2. Approving the deal will put the DUP in a position where they would very likely pull support for the government and support a VoNC (the only way you can get an early GE).

3. Labour will fare better in a GE once Brexit is (significantly) settled - when voters will focus on the mess the Tories have made of public services.
    Either a No Deal Brexit or No Brexit will tear the Tories apart. That is our best route to No. 10
    Both would leave you picking up a country in economic (No Deal) or political (No Brexit) turmoil. But it's academic cos there wouldn't be a GE in such a situation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

There is already economic divergence, but peace seems to be holding.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    dr_spyn said:

Short and sweet.

It's poured cold water over her future ambitions.

Ah, my coat..
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1068895643119362050

Some curious omissions, but perhaps the story isn't over.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Short and sweet.

There is barely a dry eye across the nation at this loss.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

I've sorted out some old books to donate to charity. One of them is titled 'The Euro - Should Britain Join?'. Perhaps it is time for a second edition?

Perhaps that sort out is W-A-Y overdue?
  • Options
    No. DAVID Miliband - that would be a story...
  • Options
    BBC - HS2 rail chairman Sir Terry Morgan tells BBC he expects to be sacked within days, months after getting job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46414477
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    John_M said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

If you read the FT article I linked yesterday, economic divergence has already taken place, very much to NI's disadvantage.
    NI will do well out of the FTZ afforded by the backstop if we do diverge. In any case it's possible NI would do better integrated into the Irish economy than as a stranded satellite of the UK economy.
  • Options

I picture a Malcolm Tucker style 'suggestion' that it might be appropriate to step down.
    Looks that way.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Rejecting May's deal increases the chances of a Labour government. That’s why we aren't supporting it.

You've more chance of a Labour government by approving May's deal for the following reasons:

1. Rejecting the deal and heading for no deal won't might remove May but won't remove the the Tories.

2. Approving the deal will put the DUP in a position where they would very likely pull support for the government and support a VoNC (the only way you can get an early GE).

3. Labour will fare better in a GE once Brexit is (significantly) settled - when voters will focus on the mess the Tories have made of public services.
    Either a No Deal Brexit or No Brexit will tear the Tories apart. That is our best route to No. 10
    Both would leave you picking up a country in economic (No Deal) or political (No Brexit) turmoil. But it's academic cos there wouldn't be a GE in such a situation.
    In truth either would pull the country apart, not just the conservatives
  • Options
    Osamor's resignation is the absolute stone cold definition of 'weasel'.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

John_M said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

NI will do well out of the FTZ afforded by the backstop if we do diverge. In any case it's possible NI would do better integrated into the Irish economy than as a stranded satellite of the UK economy.
    An Irish commentator said the other day they do not want unification as they could not afford the 11 billion euros annual bill
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The only realistic eventual options IMO are EU membership and the Vassal State.

What percentage of trade needs to be with an entity before you reach this "vassal state" status? 50%? 40%? 30%? 20%?

Would Canada be better off joining the USA? Should Britain join the USA? We'd almost certainly converge to a higher income per capita as State 51 than as an EU member.

It strikes me as quite realistic to expect the share of the UK's trade that's with the EU to fall to about one third of the total once Brexit has bedded in - the proportion is already well under half and on a long-term decline, and EU membership does prop it up somewhat. In the long run, most of the world's economic growth is going to be outside Europe while the cost of transport/travel is likely to continue its decline as a barrier to trade.

It's also conceivable that UK trade with the USA may reach a similar ball-park to trade with the EU. The US economy has outgrown the Eurozone over the past few decades (from almost identical in the mid-nineties to the US being around 25% bigger in real terms today) and has much bigger upside in terms of physical space, resources and potential for population growth (particularly if there's a post-Trump liberal backlash on immigration policy - if the tendency towards tighter borders persists then not so much!). For some kinds of trade, the smaller cultural distance, including linguistic and legal, matters more than the geographic
    distance. This doesn't necessarily make things better - it might mean there are two big powers with sufficient leverage to bully Britain over trade, rather than just one! - but makes me somewhat sceptical of the simple inevitability of European vassalage.

Perhaps of greater interest would be the effect of diversification of our trade - what proportion of our trade ends up not being with one "big bloc" or another, but with countries of broadly similar or lesser clout in the world? The bigger this is, the less the risk or degree of vasalage. Again, I see the argument that EU membership benefits us because as part of a bigger team we get someone else to help us bully these parties into better terms. But the deeper and diverse your international trade links are then the less susceptible you are to control by one party. So long as trends continue to move towards greater trade liberalisation, towards more trade-enabling infrastructure and interconnectivity (which matters more to transport costs than raw geographical distances), towards harmonisation of regulations at a global level, and the world economy continues to grow, I wonder how much poorer we will feel compared to the counterfactual of staying in.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Really? Funny how the Norwegians managed to maintain stocks outside the CFP whilst the EU oversaw collapses in fish stocks. Just look at the effect on the Irish Box after it was opened up to EU fishing.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

The only quibble is that Labour did well last time by turning what was called as a Brexit election into a contest about domestic issues of greater concern to voters. But I don't think they will be able to repeat that trick in an election called now under current circumstances.
    I disagree there. Brexit would not be the dominant issue in a 5 or 6 week election campaign however obsessed the commentariat is with it. It is far too technical for most people who are heartily sick to death of the subject. Voters would again be very receptive to Corbyn - and others - raising matters to which they can much more readily relate.
  • Options
    Corbyn trying to avoid working at a weekend?

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1068896402871369728
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    I'd back the chicken ahead of the robot.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    Bit difficult if he is empty chaired
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, depends on the robot. Hypnodisc would murder a chicken no problem at all.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    That works both ways - and Theresa has a history of it.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    Her focus on the detail would score better than his tendency to fall back on ranting/name calling

He clearly doesn't want to debate - and is doing all he can to manage expectations

'I didn't win the debate but that was the fault of the format not me guv'
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    In which case ITV should do the same to her.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,170
    @ steve garner

Yes the term No Deal is meant in different ways depending on the context and on who is using it. If you are going to include it in a referendum it will have to be defined and I don't see how anything other than its literal meaning will be suitable for that purpose. So that is no withdrawal agreement, hence no transition. Crash out on 29 March 2019, free at last, free at last.

You can't have that extreme version of Brexit as a binary versus Remain. It stacks the deck. The whole exercise would be seen quite rightly as a scam to discard the 2016 vote.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    But this time it is Corbyn running scared of having to declare a coherrent position under interrogation
  • Options
    justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    Why - she is the PM and challenged him.

He is ducking and weaving as he has little idea of the subject. He even admits he hasn't read the WDA
  • Options

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken
    But this time it is Corbyn running scared of having to declare a coherrent position under interrogation
    But there is no precedent for a debate between party leaders outside an election period. The idea is a load of nonsense , and nothing more than an attempt by May to divert attention from her failure and obvious weakness.
  • Options

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

He is ducking and weaving as he has little idea of the subject. He even admits he hasn't read the WDA
    Because she appears to be refusing to appear on ITV!
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Really? Funny how the Norwegians managed to maintain stocks outside the CFP whilst the EU oversaw collapses in fish stocks. Just look at the effect on the Irish Box after it was opened up to EU fishing.
    I don't doubt that Norway have done a great job, there's a lot we can learn from them.
  • Options
    Mr. 124, I agree the 'debate' is only occurring because of May's weakness. But she is the PM, and the one proposing a deal. Corbyn demanding she change formats and channel and join him is unlikely to be seen as reasonable, I suspect.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

No - she was presented with options and made a choice. That is no refusing.

Corbyn came up with some specious nonsense about 'respecting' I'm A Celeb viewers and is now quibbling about the format.

It is May's debate - she called it. She gets to set the terms. Corbyn has to live with it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

Corbyn came up with some specious nonsense about 'respecting' I'm A Celeb viewers and is now quibbling about the format.

It is May's debate - she called it. She gets to set the terms. Corbyn has to live with it.
    That is a non sequitur. Did any of the party leaders get to set the rules of Debate at the elections of 2010, 2015 & 2017? If they cannot agree a format, then it will not happen.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

That is a non sequitur. Did any of the party leaders get to set the rules of Debate at the elections of 2010, 2015 & 2017? If they cannot agree a format, then it will not happen.
    This isn't an election debate. May challenged Corbyn to debate one issue and one issue alone. Broadcasters pitched their ideas. She chose one - as is her right as the person calling the debate. He is now doing everything possible to get out of it.

You don't want to admit the truth of this.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

This isn't an election debate. May challenged Corbyn to debate one issue and one issue alone. Broadcasters pitched their ideas. She chose one - as is her right as the person calling the debate. He is now doing everything possible to get out of it.

No party leader should be obliged to accept the terms of debate imposed by another party leader - or by the broadcasters. May chose one option - Corbyn went for another. If they cannot agree, it simply won't happen and I doubt that the public will care less.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

No party leader should be obliged to accept the terms of debate imposed by another party leader - or by the broadcasters. May chose one option - Corbyn went for another. If they cannot agree, it simply won't happen and I doubt that the public will care less.
    That is a very naive view of the reality of the current situation.

This was a direct personal challenge. If he walks away, he is the one who suffers.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

dr_spyn said:

He is chicken

That is a very naive view of the reality of the current situation.

This was a direct personal challenge. If he walks away, he is the one who suffers.
    Not at all - May is the one desperate for the debate not Corbyn.
This discussion has been closed.