Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » French toast – Bread and butter issues burn Macron

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    If true, notable that Momentum has turned its fire away from Blairite Remainers toward Labour leavers?

Meanwhile in the Commons Shapps/Mr Green was very careful just now in summing up his speech to leave his options on the Deal vote carefully open.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited December 2018
    RobD said:
    How pathetic to fall out and divorce over a referendum vote - they (or she) clearly didn't really care for (him) each other that much!

My dad voted remain and my mum leave - after more than 55 years of marriage he passed away a few months ago and she cared for him every day at home and when he saw out his last few weeks in a nursing home. That is real love - and no referendum vote on membership of some supranational political body would ever have split them apart!

• Options
    Mr. F, it stands for Puritanical Evangelical Tedious Arseheads.
  • Options

Mrs C, at the start, the Nazgul were just on horseback.

Meanwhile, in puritanical imbecile news: https://twitter.com/peta/status/1070066047414345729

PETA have got what they wanted from that tweet: acres of free publicity.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    brendan16 said:

RobD said:
    How pathetic to fall out and divorce over a referendum vote - they (or she) clearly didn't really care for (him) each other that much!

My dad voted remain and my mum leave - after more than 55 years of marriage he passed away a few months ago and she cared for him every day at home and when he saw out his last few weeks in a nursing home. That is real love - and no referendum vote on membership of some supranational political body would ever have split them apart!

My father, brother, and wife voted Remain. I, my mother, and my sister voted Leave. Only a fool falls out with family over politics.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The delusion is all yours I am afraid. Of course whatever happens you will be fine in your bolthole.

Northwest England?

Why do you indulge in repeated ad hominem attacks? Do you think it will shame me into reversing my position?
    He does it because you are a woman (I presume, I spoke to a bloke from Churchill insurance the other day, called Su) and for some reason he is happy to insult women which actually fits with his character all over. It's why he gave himself a break from PB. He has obviously learned nothing.

Plus of course he is too dim to argue the issue on its merits because, despite having two Irish parents, he doesn't understand the first thing about the island of Ireland.
    Actually unless you and Scott are women you will find I am very happy to insult both males and females equally.

As Jonathan Pie said in one of his pieces on mansplaining recently. "If I talk to you in an insulting or patronising manner it is not because you are a woman, it is because you are a fucking moron".

The same applies in a select number of cases on here.
    As your insults are of the most pedestrian variety and embarrass you more than anything else I am fine with it. But I see that you are very loose-lipped when it comes to women.

And my subtantive point about you being dim remains. Not to understand the dynamic on the island of Ireland as you have demonstrated you don't, disqualifies you from taking part in any discussions about it.
    I understand it far better than you do. And given the only woman I have knowingly insulted on here is Beverley whilst I am pleased to have insulted dozens of men I would suggest you grasp of maths is about as accurate as your grasp of Irish history.

Says the man who believes, along with the other Brexiter morons on here (some of whom are teenagers so can be forgiven) that the backstop should or could be junked.
    I have said we should accept the deal, backstop and all. All I have pointed out is that it was unnecessary and should not have been agreed to in the first place. But we are where we are.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited December 2018
    Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

My father, brother, and wife voted Remain. I, my mother, and my sister voted Leave. Only a fool falls out with family over politics.
    Absolutely. Btw would you all vote the same way in a theoretical second referendum?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The delusion is all yours I am afraid. Of course whatever happens you will be fine in your bolthole.

Northwest England?

Why do you indulge in repeated ad hominem attacks? Do you think it will shame me into reversing my position?
    He does it because you are a woman (I presume, I spoke to a bloke from Churchill insurance the other day, called Su) and for some reason he is happy to insult women which actually fits with his character all over. It's why he gave himself a break from PB. He has obviously learned nothing.

Plus of course he is too dim to argue the issue on its merits because, despite having two Irish parents, he doesn't understand the first thing about the island of Ireland.
    Actually unless you and Scott are women you will find I am very happy to insult both males and females equally.

As Jonathan Pie said in one of his pieces on mansplaining recently. "If I talk to you in an insulting or patronising manner it is not because you are a woman, it is because you are a fucking moron".

As your insults are of the most pedestrian variety and embarrass you more than anything else I am fine with it. But I see that you are very loose-lipped when it comes to women.

And my subtantive point about you being dim remains. Not to understand the dynamic on the island of Ireland as you have demonstrated you don't, disqualifies you from taking part in any discussions about it.
    I understand it far better than you do. And given the only woman I have knowingly insulted on here is Beverley whilst I am pleased to have insulted dozens of men, I would suggest your grasp of maths is about as accurate as your grasp of Irish history.

Ever thought of just stopping insulting people?
  • Options
    Deliveroo riders have lost a high court battle to gain union recognition, in a blow to gig economy campaigners.

The ruling dismissed a judicial review brought by the Independent Workers Union of Great Britain (IWGB), which aimed to overturn an earlier ruling that confirmed those working for the delivery firm were self-employed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/05/deliveroo-riders-lose-high-court-battle-gain-union-recognition
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Really? I thought PETA stood for Please Eat The Animals

Has anyone seen my hat and coat?
  • Options

I presume fur hat and coat?
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, maybe.

I think someone I know dad donates to PETA. If he saw that, he'd perhaps cancel said donations.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,623

Presumably the fur ones? :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Assuming we get to Remain after all, do you think Tommy Robinson would get elected as an MEP?
    Doesn't his criminal record bar him from standing as an MEP?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Presumably the fur ones? :)
    Ooo la la!!
  • Options

I presume fur hat and coat?
    :D
  • Options
    Norm said:

Sean_F said:

brendan16 said:

RobD said:

Absolutely. Btw would you all vote the same way in a theoretical second referendum?
    Probably, but I think much would depend on the questions/alternatives given.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Assuming we get to Remain after all, do you think Tommy Robinson would get elected as an MEP?
    For UKIP it is presumably good previous experience.

But is it a spent conviction now?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2018
    wrt the 20 Labour "potentials", let's play some numbers games. Of that 20, what's the best outcome for the govt - perhaps 10 abstentions, and 5 no votes?

Assuming the DUP vote against, that leaves the opposition with 307. To get a tie, May would need Hermon, the Lab5, plus 301 of her 316 - and that's assuming the remaining Tories can be persuaded to only abstain, obv much more difficult when those vote against.

If the DUP can be brought onboard somehow, opposition has 297, May needs 291/316 .... begins to look just about possible, on a 2nd vote at least. Still threading-the-needle territory though.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,984

Deliveroo riders have lost a high court battle to gain union recognition, in a blow to gig economy campaigners.

The ruling dismissed a judicial review brought by the Independent Workers Union of Great Britain (IWGB), which aimed to overturn an earlier ruling that confirmed those working for the delivery firm were self-employed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/dec/05/deliveroo-riders-lose-high-court-battle-gain-union-recognition

Enemy of the people, eh. Supporter of the late Mr Gradgrind. You can't trust these judges!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Scott_P said:

Sadly there will be very large numbers who will take them up on that offer or will not bother to vote at all. That is what the Remainers will have done. They will have made extremism acceptable and democracy a dirty word.

This is what Brexit has done.

You won.

Suck it up.

It will never be the fault of those who warned against it, campaigned against it, or voted against it.
    There has been much moaning but brexit hasn't won. Indeed, it now might not occur at all.
  • Options

Like the French the Germans are laughing at us as well.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1070327057689796608

So? They never have fraught politics? You can do better than that.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

wrt the 20 Labour "potentials", let's play some numbers games. Of that 20, what's the best outcome for the govt - perhaps 10 abstentions, and 5 no votes?

Assuming the DUP vote against, that leaves the opposition with 307. To get a tie, May would need Hermon, the Lab5, plus 301 of her 316 - and that's assuming the remaining Tories can be persuaded to only abstain, obv much more difficult when those vote against.

If the DUP can be brought onboard somehow, opposition has 297, May needs 291/316 .... begins to look just about possible, on a 2nd vote at least. Still threading-the-needle territory though.

Ronnie Campbell seems to have left his options open. Unhappy about the backstop, but opposed to both No Deal and a Second Referendum.
  • Options

Northwest England?

Perhaps Richard has been to Levenshulme?
    Levenshulmes posh
    Really? It's gentrifying a bit but not that much.

When my friend gave me directions to visit her place it was like

1) Turn right at Morrisons
    2) Go past the crackwhores
    3) Turn left where there's some burned out cars
    probably is now . Back when Mrs B used to live in the Longsight end of town it was more down to earth.
    My first post as a pharmacist was in Longsight. Memories, memories.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited December 2018
    Now Macron is in full reverse gear and may unpick his own reforms.

time for Saddiq Khan to hit the phones

nice quiet city, good restauants, top class french schools etc.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/05/macron-mulls-bringing-back-ultra-rich-tax-halt-yellow-vest-protests/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

"There is a “real danger” pro-EU MPs will “steal Brexit from the British people”, Liam Fox has warned."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mps-are-trying-to-steal-brexit-warns-fox-jwmkt835b

Only if the ERG don’t steal it first.
    Blaming remainers is clearly not going to fly, but theo is correct in that every ERG member could back the deal and it wouldn't pass. The DUP and remainers could see it through, ERG never could on their own.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2018

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/05/macron-mulls-bringing-back-ultra-rich-tax-halt-yellow-vest-protests/

"nice quiet city" - I know we don't have weekly massive riots, but I can't imagine the daily stories of moped robberies and knife crime have done much for image of London as a nice quiet city.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Northwest England?

I understand it far better than you do. And given the only woman I have knowingly insulted on here is Beverley whilst I am pleased to have insulted dozens of men, I would suggest your grasp of maths is about as accurate as your grasp of Irish history.

Nope. I enjoy it. And I only do it to those who deserve it. I am more than content to discuss the minutiae of legal texts or political theory with anyone as long as they do not lie or dissemble. If they do then they deserve to be exposed for such.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The word "orderly" is working hard there.
    Lol. It presumably encompasses a wide range at the least.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Sadly there will be very large numbers who will take them up on that offer or will not bother to vote at all. That is what the Remainers will have done. They will have made extremism acceptable and democracy a dirty word.

This is what Brexit has done.

You won.

Suck it up.

It will never be the fault of those who warned against it, campaigned against it, or voted against it.
    There has been much moaning but brexit hasn't won. Indeed, it now might not occur at all.
    And if it is not delivered, then Brexiteers are more to blame than anybody else. Firstly by over-promising during the campaign (i.e. telling porkies), and secondly by the ERG and their followers poisoning events afterwards.

That's quite delicious.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Sean_F said:

Andrew said:

Ronnie Campbell seems to have left his options open. Unhappy about the backstop, but opposed to both No Deal and a Second Referendum.
    John Mann seems to be taking the pulse of Bassetlaw before comitting.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

For UKIP it is presumably good previous experience.

But is it a spent conviction now?
    For politicians they are never spent.

Especially the one for for fraud.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited December 2018

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Northwest England?

Nope. I enjoy it. And I only do it to those who deserve it. I am more than content to discuss the minutiae of legal texts or political theory with anyone as long as they do not lie or dissemble. If they do then they deserve to be exposed for such.
    That you think the backstop need not have been agreed shows how little you know.

Edit: you fucking idiot.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

"There is a “real danger” pro-EU MPs will “steal Brexit from the British people”, Liam Fox has warned."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mps-are-trying-to-steal-brexit-warns-fox-jwmkt835b

Blaming remainers is clearly not going to fly, but theo is correct in that every ERG member could back the deal and it wouldn't pass. The DUP and remainers could see it through, ERG never could on their own.
    I think there are 13 Remain Conservatives who are opposed. With 10 DUP, that would cut the government's vote to 303 if all Leavers came on board. If the Leavers did come back on board, with a few opposition MPs, that would make it a very tight result.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, maybe.

I think someone I know dad donates to PETA. If he saw that, he'd perhaps cancel said donations.

If he doesn't already know they are like that he'll not see the story anyway. It is very in character For them.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, maybe, but everyone can have blind spots.
  • Options
    Bush Snr funeral now on CNN and makes a change from our media utter obsession with brexit

Trump looking disinterested and Obama's obvious disdain of Trump so evident
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

"nice quiet city" - I know we don't have weekly massive riots, but I can't imagine the daily stories of moped robberies and knife crime have done much for image of London as a nice quiet city.
    its all by comparison

Belfast is more peaceful than Paris
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Northwest England?

Levenshulmes posh

probably is now . Back when Mrs B used to live in the Longsight end of town it was more down to earth.
    I lived there too. Just off East Road.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Like the French the Germans are laughing at us as well.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1070327057689796608

So? They never have fraught politics? You can do better than that.
    isn't that the Lords?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Especially the one for fraud.

On mortgages, does it help if you were connected to the very top of New Labour ?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Northwest England?

Levenshulmes posh

I lived there too. Just off East Road.
    The first Saturday I was there a local GP's wife rang; her cat had been savaged by a bulldog. Would I come and put the cat down. I said no, I didn't think it was part of my job to do that. But she said Mr (regular pharmacist) always does.

I was left wondering how many cats she had had which had been savaged by dogs!
  • Options

Bush Snr funeral now on CNN and makes a change from our media utter obsession with brexit

Trump looking disinterested and Obama's obvious disdain of Trump so evident

Doesn't Trump always look disinteested if it's not about him?
  • Options
    Just looking at it, based on Tommy Robinson's last conviction, it becomes spent in August 2019.

This may all change depending on how is contempt case goes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    Has been like that for the last five months.
  • Options
    Even if there is another referendum where Remain wins relatively comfortably, say 60-40, it's delusional to think that would be the end of it.

Those 40% will be seriously pissed off at having been given a puppy and then had it taken away from them. We will likely see hitherto unimaginable unrest and quite possibly the rapid rise of a Golden Dawn / RN / UKIP-ultra type party, to the point where they win a substantial number of seats at the next GE in an SNP 2015-style surge.

This would be one of the worst possible outcomes. If a new party emerges and takes power, it might even result in a delayed Superhard Brexit a few years down the line without even a referendum. Have the Remainers championing the 'Peoples vote' even considered this eventuality?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

On mortgages, does it help if you were connected to the very top of New Labour ?
    Mandy?

That really wasn't mortgage fraud in the traditional sense.

Whereas Tommy Robinson attempted to get two mortgages on the same property without telling either lender.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

That you think the backstop need not have been agreed shows how little you know.

Given that a solution was already in progress prior to the change in Irish governance I would suggest your comment reveals it is you who know little.

Did anyone ever ask which side you were on in the Troubles? I know you claim to have been in the British Army but sometimes you seem to have more in common with attitudes of the Republicans.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited December 2018
    TOPPING said:

I think OGH has asked several times that we should stop calling each other fucking idiots.

That term is a term reserved for ERG members only.

We thank you in advance for your compliance.
  • Options
    Sir Benjamin, whilst the rise of the far right is credible, I think it'll take a little longer.

UKIP will perhaps go under, with Farage, maybe bankrolled by Banks, fronting a new party (I Can't Believe It's Not UKIP). Another new party, further to the right, might emerge. The narrative of betrayal, contempt for the electorate, an elite promoting the EU interest over UK democracy etc will all feed into that.

Right now we have a listless Conservative Party and a Labour Party whose front bench has an assortment of people who think marching under Stalin banners is sensible. If one or both parties return to sanity it'd help fend off the conditions most conducive to a new far right party, but if they remain trapped in mediocrity and socialist bullshit, that only makes demagoguery more likely.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

TOPPING said:

Given that a solution was already in progress prior to the change in Irish governance I would suggest your comment reveals it is you who know little.

Did anyone ever ask which side you were on in the Troubles? I know you claim to have been in the British Army but sometimes you seem to have more in common with attitudes of the Republicans.
    And your evidence that the previous solution wasn't the unworkable mess the Irish Government believe it to be is?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

dixiedean said:
    Tell me about it. Actually don't. It is beyond a joke.
  • Options
    "She should literally find a sword and throw herself on it. Let’s just remember the Norwegians executed Quisling for his collaboration with the forces of German lead European Subjugation"

I've just seen this comment on Facebook. I imagine you can guess who "she" is.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

Whereas Tommy Robinson attempted to get two mortgages on the same property without telling either lender.
    I always wonder how Tommy Robinson actually sustains himself and his family? I know at one point was dodgy property development and tanning shops, but as far as I know he doesn't do either these days.

I always wonder how he can continue to Facebook live outside courts etc without ever seeming to have any job or work to do. He has become so infamous these days, I doubt could a) ever get a regular job and b) imagine he would be limited in what businesses he could be involved in without some recognising him and the criminal convictions.
  • Options
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Even if there is another referendum where Remain wins relatively comfortably, say 60-40, it's delusional to think that would be the end of it.

Those 40% will be seriously pissed off at having been given a puppy and then had it taken away from them. We will likely see hitherto unimaginable unrest and quite possibly the rapid rise of a Golden Dawn / RN / UKIP-ultra type party, to the point where they win a substantial number of seats at the next GE in an SNP 2015-style surge.

This would be one of the worst possible outcomes. If a new party emerges and takes power, it might even result in a delayed Superhard Brexit a few years down the line without even a referendum. Have the Remainers championing the 'Peoples vote' even considered this eventuality?

If there isn't a referendum on the deal now when so many people have called one, why shouldn't a subset of remainers be just as pissed off as the leavers you are thinking about?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816

Dear Voters,

Parliament has considered the recent opinion proffered by the electorate that the UK should leave the EU, and regrettably has found that opinion to be rabid, pig-ignorant and stultifyingly ill-informed.

As such, we will not be bringing forward legislation to enact this terrible opinion at this time.

Parliament thanks you for the opportunity to be involved in your poorly thought out opinions, and hopes you will consider us again next time you need somebody to point out when you're being massive idiots.

Kindest Regards,

Parliament

Dear Parliament,

You show contempt for your bosses. You're fired.
    While I have sympathy with the intent - how?
    You're going to get a Tory or Labour PM next time. Parliament will be overwhelmingly Tory or Labour, with a sprinkling of SNP and Lib Dem, plus a dash of Northern Ireland MPs to season and garnished delicately with one to eight other MPs, including Plaid Cymru and Green.

FPTP is murder to new parties. It's the last defence of the Big Two, and it's more impervious than the trenches of WWI. It won't be changed without their agreement, and they'll never agree because it advantages them so much (albeit many will solemnly believe one rationalisation or another that it's morally right for it to be this way).

A new party needs 30%+ coming out of nowhere in order to start to shake that up properly, and that's a bare minimum. Leavers aren't getting a new party to that level. Look at how the Lib Dems have peaked on 10% while chasing the 48%.

A new party won't have their baggage, and might tap a narrative of unfairness, but that'd take them to 20% at the very most. That results in 0-2 seats and utter irrelevance, fading away over a handful of elections.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

Does anybody how Tommy Robinson actually sustains himself and his family? I know at one point was dodgy property development and tanning shops, but as far as I know he doesn't do either these days.

I always wonder how he can continue to Facebook live outside courts etc without ever seeming to have any job or work to do. He has become so infamous these days, I doubt could a) ever get a regular job and b) imagine he would be limited in what businesses he could be involved in without some recognising him and the criminal convictions.
    I imagine donations etc

Plus if he has a popular YouTube station (I don't know) some people live off those nowadays.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

Does anybody how Tommy Robinson actually sustains himself and his family? I know at one point was dodgy property development and tanning shops, but as far as I know he doesn't do either these days.

Like Tony Blair, George Osborne, Lance Armstrong and Boris Johnson people are prepared to pay big bucks to hear him speak.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Sean_F said:

"She should literally find a sword and throw herself on it. Let’s just remember the Norwegians executed Quisling for his collaboration with the forces of German lead European Subjugation"

And people think passing this deal will subdue extremism and bring the country together? They are deluding themselves.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

And your evidence that the previous solution wasn't the unworkable mess the Irish Government believe it to be is?
    The fact it was a change of politicians who led to it being scrapped shows it for the flagrant political choice that it was.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

If there isn't a referendum on the deal now when so many people have called one, why shouldn't a subset of remainers be just as pissed off as the leavers you are thinking about?
    The comparison with the SNP is specious. FPTP rewards parties like the SNP whose support is concentrated in small geographic areas, whereas a far-right party would likely have the opposite demographic characteristics. We saw this in 2015 where UKIP got 14% of the vote but just 1 seat.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

I've never seen the need to agree a Backstop in advance of the main negotiations. Both sides are now left with something that will be awkward for them, if it has to be activated. It would have made life much easier to work out the future relationship and then work backwards from there to deal with the Irish Border.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

I imagine donations etc

Plus if he has a popular YouTube station (I don't know) some people live off those nowadays.
    I doubt he is making a living off YouTube. You need 50-100 million views a year to make a decent income (provided you don't do content that gets demonetised) and most YouTubers make the bulk of their income off sponsorships.

I would guess a lot of his videos get struck off for ads and I can't see Nike wanting to do sponsored vids.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

I always wonder how Tommy Robinson actually sustains himself and his family? I know at one point was dodgy property development and tanning shops, but as far as I know he doesn't do either these days.

A lot of donations from gullible idiots.

Plus that Rebel Media gig from Canada is quite good from the income front.

But I'd be so upset if Tommy Robinson did a Milo.

https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2018/12/02/milo-yiannopoulos-debt-crisis/
  • Options

Equally it may not. The 52% who voted leave did so for very different reasons based on very different possible Brexits. Some of those will be happy with and vote for May's deal, some may have seen how much further May's deal is from their own and may vote for remain instead.

So yes the number who want to leave may still be 40% but it may not be and equally some of those may be annoyed enough to go for a far right (or left) party but it won't be all of them.

Golden Dawn is unique because Greece is uniquely screwed..
  • Options
    Mr. Cooke, the Lib Dems come with a shedload of baggage and a leader who's past it.

A new party, likely pro-EU Con/Lab types, could do very well against a tired blue party and a far left red party.

Doubt it'll happen, mind.
  • Options

You might think Google, whose motto was once "don't be evil", would have a problem with being used as a funding stream for far-right hate speech. But you'd be wrong.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

LOL Armchair General Tyndall speaks!

You dolt. There was and is no solution to the backstop.

Here's your hero:

"By January 2017, Mr Kenny realised technical fixes would not cut it; Northern Ireland first required political solutions."

https://ft.com/content/73ac4a5c-d83f-11e8-a854-33d6f82e62f8

That solution?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

I think there are 13 Remain Conservatives who are opposed. With 10 DUP, that would cut the government's vote to 303 if all Leavers came on board. If the Leavers did come back on board, with a few opposition MPs, that would make it a very tight result.
    Yes it would be much tighter. But no dealers would never be on board, so it still wouldn't pass. Labour rebels were needed.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited December 2018
    Let us enter the world of fantasy and bliss, an EU nerds Utopia, and enjoy the healing rigours of a hypothetical second referendum.

I'm sure we can conduct one without lashings of hyperbole, disputes, lies, twisted facts and unvarnished dishonesty. Having campaigned with calm, fairness and equanimity, now let us imagine it delivers a result that is Remain 55% vs Leave in some format 45% A 10% margin.

I would firstly suggest that would be a poor result for Remain, in view of the unremittingly negative forecasts for any sort of Brexit that have bombarded us for the last 4 or 5 months. There would be a cohesive argument that it would show a remarkable desire and tenacity for Leave of some sort from 45% of the electorate.

If you were the EU, what conditions would you want to impose on the UK before allowing us to revoke Article 50 and Remain? Would you want the UK as a member sitting on a knife edge waiting to pull the Article 50 trigger again?

Would we be asked to:
    stop having Brexity media?
    not enact Article 50 of 10 years?
    withdraw the Rebate?
    separate from Scotland allowing it and its fishing rights to be an independent state and EU member (thus giving England an EU land border in any future withdrawal negotiations)?

Once we have had 2 (or 3, depending on how you count) Referendum on the subject, be sure as the pendulum swings to the defeated side and changes occur to the relationship further referendums will be demanded.

Where is the solution?
    The closest solution may be in a parallel universe. That apart, the solution may be in 22nd Century.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Mandy?

A lot of donations from gullible idiots.

Plus that Rebel Media gig from Canada is quite good from the income front.

But I'd be so upset if Tommy Robinson did a Milo.

https://www.hopenothate.org.uk/2018/12/02/milo-yiannopoulos-debt-crisis/
    Milo living an Elton John lifestyle surely not...I am shocked.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:
    Tell me about it. Actually don't. It is beyond a joke.
    I upset the RMT when they were protesting about it asking me to sign the petition.

I said the London Underground copes fine and dandy without conductors.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, hmm. Would've guessed Patreon myself, but you're right about Youtubers not making much just on views. Might vary from the top end to the mid-grid.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And people think passing this deal will subdue extremism and bring the country together? They are deluding themselves.
    It moves us to fighting the next battle instead of the last one
  • Options
    How are you feeling about your bet with SeanT?

When you struck that bet I thought you were bonkers, but you might be punter of the year soon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Yes it would be much tighter. But no dealers would never be on board, so it still wouldn't pass. Labour rebels were needed.
    No Dealers have to be persuaded that they won't get No Deal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

They might truly believe remaining is best I if no deal is avoided. I'd respect those that admit that.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Mr. Urquhart, hmm. Would've guessed Patreon myself, but you're right about Youtubers not making much just on views. Might vary from the top end to the mid-grid.

I actually watched an interesting video the other day. The pay per view rate varies massively, depending on a load of factors, but one big difference can be category.

Apparently things like prank channels / videos receive basically bugger all per view, which means even massive "viral" videos often don't make that much money.

In comparison, boring grown up stuff like financial advice related things can receive 10x per view of those viral videos and so there are some in that sector who might only get 100k per video but are making a good living off that.

Overall though, for most "influencers", their income comes from what they can negotiate for sponsored videos / posts and selling merch and other products, and both of those revenue streams can be huge.
  • Options

Mr. Cooke, the Lib Dems come with a shedload of baggage and a leader who's past it.

A new party, likely pro-EU Con/Lab types, could do very well against a tired blue party and a far left red party.

Doubt it'll happen, mind.

The leader can be changed. What is the baggage which creates a problem?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    HS2 being consigned to the scrapheap? (I wish)
  • Options

How are you feeling about your bet with SeanT?

When you struck that bet I thought you were bonkers, but you might be punter of the year soon.
    The only time I seriously thought I might lose was in the initial period after May called the election and it looked like she'd get a huge majority.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

Coming at it from scratch, I have no doubt that the government would win the vote on the deal easily. The challenge is to allow those who have announced very publicly that they don't support it to climb down without looking like complete plonkers.

Edit: As I always have, I continue to think the deal will pass and have backed it up with twenty of my finest pounds at BF at the generous odds of 6.6.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Quite tragic to hear stories of huge family rifts over Brexit.

In one case reported husband votes out , German wife votes remain . It ends in divorce !

Leavers don’t seem to understand that bleating we love Europe , hate EU might have worked if the vote hadn’t been hijacked by anti EU national sentiment .

People can spin it anyway they like but the truth is many EU nationals felt like they were not welcome , and the vote was against them .

• Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325

Sean_F said:

Social media is full of Russian trolls. Once we bring migration under control, sign a couple of trade deals and there are no more crazy ECJ decisions affecting us on votes for prisoners etc, the extremists will struggle to gain traction.

Sabotaging a deal to blackmail a vote into Remaining, however...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think OGH has asked several times that we should stop calling each other fucking idiots.

That term is a term reserved for ERG members only.

We thank you in advance for your compliance.
    I will try in order not to upset OGH but you know, if it walks like a duck...
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that is interesting. I know the Dread Algorithm can demonetise videos before they're even finished uploading, and whilst reviews are possible any change usually happens after 48-72 hours when the vast majority of hits occur.

Mr. Evershed, they consorted with the Great Satan (Conservatives). They committed the Betrayal (tuition fees).
  • Options
    Theo said:

Sean_F said:

Social media is full of Russian trolls. Once we bring migration under control, sign a couple of trade deals and there are no more crazy ECJ decisions affecting us on votes for prisoners etc, the extremists will struggle to gain traction.

Sabotaging a deal to blackmail a vote into Remaining, however...
    As we have seen from the latest figures, how exactly do you think we will manage to bring migration under control? No government of our time has wanted to; what makes you think they will want to in future?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    David Allen Green predicted before A50 was invoked, in extraordinary detail, exactly how May would botch brexit, and so it has played out almost completely to the letter.

Green's argument was that it was easy to predict. You just have to assume she'd approach Brexit the same way she approached various Home Office crises, and imagine she'd try to apply them to the EU, and it would fall apart spectacularly.

Things like:

* having a tiny circle of advisors of questionable wisdom
    * not bothering to engage her party or parliament in any of her thinking
    * attempting to use tabloid bullying to get people to obey
    * repeating trite phrases in lieu of having a coherent policy
    * mistake being stubborn for its own sake with being "strong and stable"

etc.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Just got an email from the Department for International Trade to tell me about a website that explains the Brexit deal.

Very close to misuse of the civil service for party political purposes imho.
  • Options
    This is a crazy story of the wild west of how influencers make money,

https://www.wired.com/story/pricey-war-influence-your-instagram-feed/
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    David Allen Green predicted before A50 was invoked, in extraordinary detail, exactly how May would botch brexit, and so it has played out almost completely to the letter.

Green's argument was that it was easy to predict. You just have to assume she'd approach Brexit the same way she approached various Home Office crises, and imagine she'd try to apply them to the EU, and it would fall apart spectacularly.

Things like:

etc.
    He also predicted the charlatans of Leave would be found out in office as they had to deliver on their fantasies.
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, that is interesting. I know the Dread Algorithm can demonetise videos before they're even finished uploading, and whilst reviews are possible any change usually happens after 48-72 hours when the vast majority of hits occur.

Mr. Evershed, they consorted with the Great Satan (Conservatives). They committed the Betrayal (tuition fees).

I certainly wouldn't want to be in the YouTube game. Sounds like at any moment the algorithm can change and completely screw you.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Sean_F said:

Yet more lies. The ECJ said it's lawful to deny the vote to prisoners. It's the ECHR that said otherwise, and the Brexit deal binds us to the ECHR.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Things like:

etc.
    Equally of worth

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1070356376105435138
This discussion has been closed.