Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for TMay from ConHome – nearly two thirds of members

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for TMay from ConHome – nearly two thirds of members surveyed want her out

With voting due to start at Westminster at 6pm there’s bad news for the PM from the ultra Brexiteer site, ConHome. A snap survey finds 63% of those who participated wanting the PM out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sean_F said:

The number of killings in London has reached the highest number for a decade.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-46540182

Still quite a long way below the numbers for the previous decade though.
    Interestingly, there has just been one of the biggest gaps between homicides in a long time: there was a homicide on 24 November, and then another today. When was the last time there were 19 days between homicides?

(Knives, knives, knives.)

Also, these numbers need to be calibrated to the number of people in London. Otherwise, they're meaningless.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    (secret ballot)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Quite a contrast with the views of Conservative voters (and I doubt if anything like 63% of members want her out).
  • Options
    Apparently people are crying in the room.

I TOTALLY AND UTTERLY REJECT YOUR EXPRESSIONS OF SORROW
    BE UNDER NO ILLUSION THESE ARE CROCODILE TEARS YE ARE CRYING
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    If there is to be a split, a real one - and I have to say that it really is time - then I suspect ConservativeHome will need a new name.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sean_F said:

Quite a contrast with the views of Conservative voters (and I doubt if anything like 63% of members want her out).

Just talking to some Tory voters this afternoon, they think the Tories have gone mad and intent on self-destruction. May is still seen as better than say Boris Johnson but a clean skin like Javid, Hunt or Rudd might be more popular in the country but not with the membership. William Hague really screwed the party with his extending the franchise to Tory members...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Tears of sorrow or tears of joy. I bet Williamson is blubbing.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

When have polls rather than votes ever decided any political decision ?
    Well it is reaffirming the vote of 2017 which is the will of the people.
    She lost her majority in 2016 and only continues with the support of the DUP who won’t support her deal or her in a VNOC unless the backstop goes.
    The DUP's position is a bit more nuanced than that. They would be happy with the UK staying in a Customs Union with the EU, but they are not happy with any situation where there are regulatory or customs barriers between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

They would bring down the government to prevent the backstop, they are in favour of Brexit, but they also want the Republic and Northern Ireland to - errrr - continue pretty much as they are now. They know that a No Deal Brexit that lead to a nasty Northern Ireland recession - and, for the record I suspect Northern Ireland and London would be the worst affected parts of the UK in a No Deal scenario - might lead to a reunification referendum. And that is what they must avoid at all costs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658

(secret ballot)

Indeed. And, frankly, they don't have any good choices or easy ways out - a nightmare for politicians.
  • Options

Apparently people are crying in the room.

I TOTALLY AND UTTERLY REJECT YOUR EXPRESSIONS OF SORROW
    BE UNDER NO ILLUSION THESE ARE CROCODILE TEARS YE ARE CRYING

"I weep for you the Walrus said....."
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Those London homicide figures are a bit misleading because the population of the capital is now significantly higher than 2010 for instance, and also the number of homicides this year is only one ir two higher than in previous years.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2018
    Whatever the ConHome want, safe bet is to do the opposite.

The Daily Mail Comments Section Front.

They are as mental as the 500k new Labour members.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ConHome is not representative of Conservative members or voters.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sean_F said:

Just talking to some Tory voters this afternoon, they think the Tories have gone mad and intent on self-destruction. May is still seen as better than say Boris Johnson but a clean skin like Javid, Hunt or Rudd might be more popular in the country but not with the membership. William Hague really screwed the party with his extending the franchise to Tory members...
    The two big parties are rapidly morphing into extremist caricatures completely out of tune with most voters
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    Ken Clarke putting the boot in very wittily - and savagely - into Johnson, JR-M and Davies.

"Boris couldn't run a whelk stall. The idea I'd follow him on anything serious is faintly ridiculous."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Not now, I think.
  • Options
    It's a backbench group of a private club, the Tory party.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Why don't they just livestream these things? We hear about all the details near as live anyway.
  • Options
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

The two big parties are rapidly morphing into extremist caricatures completely out of tune with most voters
    Indeed, I have come across people who say they stopped watching the news for fear of what will happen next. This is a crisis!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Not now, I think.
    It's activists, rather than members. I think activists tend towards the, uh, wobblier end of the sanity spectrum. Because no sane person would want to do leafleting and canvasing.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FPT:
    Cyclefree said:

If May survives - significant Cabinet reshuffle?

Time for a different DEXEU Secretary of State?
    Yes. We already agreed this afternoon that a piece of bacon rind I took out of my kicthen sink's drain is the next DexEU SoS. Cyclefree and I drew up the Cabinet positions earlier and they are upthread.

There is still some debate about the 18 goldfish however, but Charles is looking into the fish tank....
    The Cat is now back, a bit spaced out but otherwise OK and looking forward to running the country once he has had his special post-op dinner and a good sleep.

I too am looking forward to managing his PM's salary since there is an enormous hole in my savings caused by the vet's bill. :(
    I presume that there is an equally large hole in his future reproductive capacity?

Glad that Tuss is otherwise OK :+1:
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:
    The alternative being? It's not rocket science, if they keep her on she is highly likely to lead them in the next election if it happens ahead of schedule (which seems very likely) because there'd be no way to get a new leader in place.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ken Clarke putting the boot in very wittily - and savagely - into Johnson, JR-M and Davies.

"Boris couldn't run a whelk stall. The idea I'd follow him on anything serious is faintly ridiculous."

I have always liked Ken Clarke and I like him more and more at present
  • Options

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed, I have come across people who say they stopped watching the news for fear of what will happen next. This is a crisis!
    Nah, we're still at the culture shock phase. The crisis doesn't begin until after the meaningful vote.
  • Options
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_P said:
    This is the main issue today - do they think an election will happen in the next year?
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    Ha ha she tells them she won't lead the party into the next election and then says she might for a snap election. Her promises don't even last 5 minutes now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ken Clarke 4 PM on an interim basis. He will take the difficult decisions other politicians kick down the road. He is not frit!
  • Options
    Did May just hint, very strongly, we're on for a January election?
  • Options
    O/T

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    22m22 minutes ago

France, Ipsos poll:

Approval ratings (president+party leaders)

Bayrou (MoDem-ALDE): 28%
    Le Pen (RN-ENF): 27%
    Mélenchon (FI-LEFT): 26% (+2)
    Dupont-Aignan (DLF-EFDD): 25% (+6)
    Hamon (G.s.-S&D): 22% (-5)
    Macron (LREM-ALDE): 20% (-6)

Field work: 7/12/18 – 8/12/18
    Sample size: 971"
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Cyclefree said:

Ken Clarke 4 PM on an interim basis. He will take the difficult decisions other politicians kick down the road. He is not frit!
    Just too pro-EU to be accepted I should think, even though he is backing the exit deal (despite not even voting to trigger A50, showing he is no extremist remoaner).

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Did May just hint, very strongly, we're on for a January election?

If so that should seal the deal that they've got to get rid of her.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Ha ha she tells them she won't lead the party into the next election and then says she might for a snap election. Her promises don't even last 5 minutes now.

It's not a lie at all. If they vote for her now they have to understand that if there's a snap GE there's nobody else to lead them into it. She can promise not to lead them into a planned election, but if her being in place for a snap GE is too much for them, and I can easily see it, they need to remove her.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Given MrsMay is the only Conservative MP who definitely cannot command a HoC majority on the only available EU Deal.. if she wins, the WA must surely take the title for 'longest suicide note'.
  • Options

felix said:

Sean_F said:

Nah, we're still at the culture shock phase. The crisis doesn't begin until after the meaningful vote.
    I agree with that. I'm shocked by the number of people who think we are at the climactic stage.

FPT Thanks to TSE for clarification on A50 revocation.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited December 2018
    If May really has just said she might yet lead them into a snap election, then she has just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory......
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    rpjs said:

They'll still be arguing whose fault it is when the Revolutionary Tribunal is tying the ropes around their necks outside the Banqueting House.

Beheading would seem more appropriate if it is happening outside the Banqueting House.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    ConHome is an assylum for the disaffected.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Just too pro-EU to be accepted I should think, even though he is backing the exit deal (despite not even voting to trigger A50, showing he is no extremist remoaner).

Or that the deal is no proper exit ...
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

They'll still be arguing whose fault it is when the Revolutionary Tribunal is tying the ropes around their necks outside the Banqueting House.

Beheading would seem more appropriate if it is happening outside the Banqueting House.
    Historically that punishment was reserved for nobles and higher.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Whatever the ConHome want, safe bet is to do the opposite.

The Daily Mail Comments Section Front.

They are as mental as the 500k new Labour members.

This survey cannot be correct. It should be 100% against TM
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Cyclefree said:

Only "faintly" ?!? ... quite a boost for Boris, some might intone ...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Or that the deal is no proper exit ...
    Even if that is so, he clearly is not an extremist remoaner - Brexiteers less stern than yourself back the deal, fanatics like Grieve are fighting tooth and nail to remain at all costs. he doesn't think it is not a proper exit. Clarke is not doing so, even though there's surely little they could threaten him with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

He is a serious politician for serious times. He was brought back by Cameron when the going got rough and a politician with serious bottom was required. I know people dislike his position on Europe but given the last two years, his antipathy to Brexit has proved spot on. Prior to this he opposed the Iraq war and back in government in the 1990s his judgement on the economy was validated in setting the ground work for a very good era of economic performance.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    22m22 minutes ago

France, Ipsos poll:

So despite Macro the centre still leads the way....if only we had such good sense.
  • Options
    Draft EUCO "addendum" on the WA here:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1072906967625150471

You should note none of this is by any means "legally binding", so Mrs May just lied to the faces of the 1922.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Well, MPs are the nobles of our day, really. Some are even practically hereditary!
  • Options
    This is like the first round of a 7 or 8 candidate AV count. We are just eliminating the first possibility and seeing how it nudges the other ones. While that's progress after all the Brexit constipation this is still the very beginning. All that's guarenteed is the Letters variable goes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

He is a serious politician for serious times. He was brought back by Cameron when the going got rough and a politician with serious bottom was required. I know people dislike his position on Europe but given the last two years, his antipathy to Brexit has proved spot on. Prior to this he opposed the Iraq war and back in government in the 1990s his judgement on the economy was validated in setting the ground work for a very good era of economic performance.
    Being the right person to say 'I told you so' may not help try to lead the Tories away from no deal, which they are perilously close to.
  • Options
    So what was all the fuss about all this time then!?

Prepare to be underwhelmed. It needs to sway the DUP, who hate to back down.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Well, MPs are the nobles of our day, really. Some are even practically hereditary!
    No they're bloody not !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

You should note none of this is by any means "legally binding", so Mrs May just lied to the faces of the 1922.

She's a compulsive liar. Says to anyone what they want to hear even if its in front of a camera and says to the next person what they want to hear even if they've seen her just say the opposite on camera.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    kle4 said:

It won't. The EUCO draft is

* not legally binding, only 'best-effort' commitments.
    * makes no changes to the WA, and explicitly AFFIRMS the WA
    * says nothing about Northern Ireland
    * requires the UK govt to take the EU's word on trust.
    * disallows any further clarifications and commitments.

It's an absolute catastrofuck that confirms all the worst expectations of, well, everyone about the futility of this effort.

• Options
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

M'lord, I'm sorry, but it's where the power lies that matters.
  • Options

No doubt some leading Tory will be on the phone to make a few adjustments. Those forrin chaps will understand once things are explained to them .... LOUDLY..... AND..... SLOWLY
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Being the right person to say 'I told you so' may not help try to lead the Tories away from no deal, which they are perilously close to.
    It shows he has got good political judgement, not afraid of tomorrows headlines being negative and a track record of making tough decisions. I think he could only be interim leader if a National Government came along at which KC would be PM. Alas we are unlikely to see a National Government!
  • Options

No doubt some leading Tory will be on the phone to make a few adjustments. Those forrin chaps will understand once things are explained to them .... LOUDLY..... AND..... SLOWLY
    And Labour chaps.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2018
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's an absolute catastrofuck that confirms all the worst expectations of, well, everyone about the futility of this effort.

This is the draft that is being discussed at the council over the next two days so why not wait and see the final version. The secret is in the name 'draft'
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited December 2018
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

Mind you, the French adopted the guillotine so that all classes would face the same, and hopefully swift and relatively painless, form of capital punishment. Perhaps in a few months time we could borrow some from les gilets jaunes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

This is the draft that is being discussed at the council over the next two days so why not wait and see the final version. The secret is in the name 'draft'
    Will wording changes make it any more legally binding?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    EM: 210-82, just 25 unknown. SPIN was at 109 last I saw before it closed. Also ....

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1072914884977922048
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    edited December 2018
    Interesting to see in that YouGov poll Labour supporters want her gone tonight unlike Tory voters who'd prefer her to stay.
  • Options
    TM spoke to them late afternoon - so when did Jenkyns speak to them
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do admire how trusting you are, in a way. But this isn't how the EU works. This is significantly *more* than May is going to get. As Nadelli says, only section 1 is agreed. Section 5 is almost certainly doomed, and sections 2-4 still to be salami sliced by the EU27.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Of course not. I'm not sure how many more ways the EU can find to say THE WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT IS FINAL. May's obviously a bit slow.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Can I suggest my daughter's cat Cinnamon for PM. This is a cat who plans ahead, who can undertake complex tasks such as getting bags of treats from high level closed cupboards, who understands the consequences of his actions so that he proceeds to hide those bags of treats for later consumption when he is less likely to be troubled and who fully appreciates that when someone leaves a seat they leave some warmth that can be utilised if you move quickly.

I can’t recall when I last saw evidence of such clear thinking at Westminster. Possibly during the Coalition.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Of course not. I'm not sure how many more ways the EU can find to say THE WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT IS FINAL. May's obviously a bit slow.
    It's not been her telling everyone is isn't final, that's the people seeking to oust her. So they can hardly get outraged at her pretending it can be amended.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2018

Based on Beth Rigby's quote in order to have been informed that no progress was made today they'd have presumably had to have spoken to them after this afternoon's meeting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

rpjs said:

M'lord, I'm sorry, but it's where the power lies that matters.
    I know where the power lies in my noble house as Mrs JackW is want to remind me !!
  • Options

kle4 said:

* disallows any further clarifications and commitments.

Quite right. Which makes the timing of the draft release an excercise of power in itself. They want Tory MPs to know the score when they vote.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do admire how trusting you are, in a way. But this isn't how the EU works. This is significantly *more* than May is going to get. As Nadelli says, only section 1 is agreed. Section 5 is almost certainly doomed, and sections 2-4 still to be salami sliced by the EU27.
    I am not being partisan. I ran my own businesses over 45 years, have served in various capacities from Chair to Secretary to Treasurer of several organisations including the PTA, Cub Scout Movement, Community Centre Committee, Round Table and Golf Club and at no time did I ever sign off a draft of anything
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    May is toxic and members know it. She was a disaster in the GE; her Brexit is woeful; she has totally abandoned domestic policy; she’s a control freak who has surrounded herself with yes-men and failed to build a consensus within her own party let alone the country; she has betrayed her own allies in the DUP and if she stays she’ll ensure end up with a Corbyn Gov. MPs should do their duty by their constituents and ditch her.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can I suggest my daughter's cat Cinnamon for PM. This is a cat who plans ahead, who can undertake complex tasks such as getting bags of treats from high level closed cupboards, who understands the consequences of his actions so that he proceeds to hide those bags of treats for later consumption when he is less likely to be troubled and who fully appreciates that when someone leaves a seat they leave some warmth that can be utilised if you move quickly.

I can’t recall when I last saw evidence of such clear thinking at Westminster. Possibly during the Coalition.

Sorry - overqualified.

And besides, Cinnamon sounds forrin. Never do old boy. Wrong sort, eh what?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804
    edited December 2018
    Off topic: Transpennine fun #145.

Choice at Manchester of 2 Newcastle bound trains that arrived on adjacent platforms within 1 minute of each other. I caught the first arrival rather than the earlier scheduled, obviously the other one then got first signals.

Now been told this train is terminating at Stalybridge due to a bird strike.

Sort of glad I didn't place any bets today.
  • Options

Based on Beth Rigby's quote in order to have been informed that no progress was made today they'd have presumably had to have spoken to them after this afternoon's meeting.
    That is trusting sources that suit your narrative but others could call it fake news
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

kle4 said:

In the EU, the conclusions are written before the meeting.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2018
    So in summary, May's latest European jaunt has achieved nothing, again ; her stance shows no sign of achieving any negotiated goal at home or abroad, in the future ; business support is draining away from her party ; and a solid majority of Tory MPs are going to give her their resounding support tonight.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And any Tory MPs swayed by this to vote to keep May must still believe in Father Christmas.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

"Europe Elects
    @EuropeElects
    22m22 minutes ago

France, Ipsos poll:

So despite Macro the centre still leads the way....if only we had such good sense.
    Bayrou only gained some approval recently because he criticized Macron. He remains less popular than Sarkozy (32) and Juppé (37)

The striking fact is the level of hostility towards Macron and the precipitous drop since the spring (he was at 40% in April
    Amazingly, even Fillon (23), whose candidacy implosed last year and has left politics, is now more popular than Macron (20).
    Only his unknown or incompetent ministers are polling lower than him, except of cours the hapless Wauquiez (15!), leader of what remains of the non-macronist right and the totally unknown Faure (12), leader of the moribund Socialist party.
  • Options

May is toxic and members know it. She was a disaster in the GE; her Brexit is woeful; she has totally abandoned domestic policy; she’s a control freak who has surrounded herself with yes-men and failed to build a consensus within her own party let alone the country; she has betrayed her own allies in the DUP and if she stays she’ll ensure end up with a Corbyn Gov. MPs should do their duty by their constituents and ditch her.

It is not going to happen - tonight is their one and only chance
  • Options
    You've done this just to wind me up haven't you?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

That is true of most meetings.
  • Options

That is trusting sources that suit your narrative but others could call it fake news
    Are Arlene Foster and the BBC fake news?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46533245

17:55
    She says they emphasised their position that they were "not seeking assurances or promises" but "fundamental legal text changes".

Mrs Foster adds: "The prime minister has known our position. We have been consistent which is why it is so frustrating that our warnings about the backstop have not been heeded.

"The DUP wants a sensible deal which our MPs can support in the House. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to work towards that.

"Unionism in Northern Ireland and across the House of Commons has rightly stood against this withdrawal agreement. It should be utterly unacceptable to any unionist. For Northern Ireland traders to be expected to treat GB as a third country is ridiculous and was never going to receive support in Parliament.”
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

And any Tory MPs swayed by this to vote to keep May must still believe in Father Christmas.
    Why wouldn’t they? Have you not seen Miracle on 34th Street?
  • Options
    The Apprentice episode might be cancelled...that be sure to piss a lot of people off.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

kle4 said:

They publish everything. Including what the decisions will be. It's very helpful.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

The problem for the Tories is the ERG, Johnson and Rees-Mogg are even more Toxic. The Tories are driving toward a brick wall whatever they do.

On a separate point, why do you go on about Corbyn being a threat to the economy yet deny a Hard Brexit would not be a problem? In reality both are a serious economic threat!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kle4 said:

The alternative being? It's not rocket science, if they keep her on she is highly likely to lead them in the next election if it happens ahead of schedule (which seems very likely) because there'd be no way to get a new leader in place.

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out.

She's a weak leader of an incompetent Government. They saddle themselves with her now and they're stuck with her in the event of a snap election, which has to be factored in as a distinct possibility. Especially given the extreme tension between her stubborn commitment to her EU deal and her relationship with the DUP, and also the non-negligible possibility that some of the hotter sort of Brexiteers might resign from the party and help no confidence the Government if she tries to do an even softer deal that is not to their liking.

There's doubtless no shortage of MPs (for which, read virtually all of them) who think they could do a better job, and amongst those with no realistic leadership ambitions there could still be thoughts of propelling a favoured candidate into position, and of their own survival in the event of another election taking place. True, some MPs may also be worried that they'll end up with someone even worse, but the Parliamentary Conservative Party has the power to filter candidates before they go off to the membership, and the ERG on its own doesn't have anywhere close to the number of votes needed to guarantee a candidate makes the run-off. One would therefore assume that the Tory Corbyn Prevention Mechanism will do its job, and there is no realistic prospect of someone like JRM or Boris getting through.

The main impulse staying the hands of many MPs will presumably be the fear that the eventual winner of the contest might end up having to countenance No Deal to secure the backing of party members. However, if they aren't prepared to break with their party and form a compact with Opposition MPs to avert Brexit, and they can't or won't back either the Deal or Remain because of their aforementioned difficulties with the DUP and their own Brexit ultras (not to mention the 2017 manifesto,) then they are frankly better off with at least having some direction - any direction - to go in as a single unit, even if they think it is the wrong one, than to go on being rudderless and drifting. Because having a lemon sat uselessly in Downing St whilst the clock runs down would just lead them to No Deal by default anyway.
    I know, I know. She's probably going to pick up about 250 endorsements and romp to victory now, isn't she? This is why I normally only bet once-a-year on the Grand National (although I have managed to get it right occasionally: Neptune Collonges was a nice little earner.)
  • Options

Are Arlene Foster and the BBC fake news?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46533245

17:55
    She says they emphasised their position that they were "not seeking assurances or promises" but "fundamental legal text changes".

Mrs Foster adds: "The prime minister has known our position. We have been consistent which is why it is so frustrating that our warnings about the backstop have not been heeded.

"The DUP wants a sensible deal which our MPs can support in the House. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to work towards that.

"Unionism in Northern Ireland and across the House of Commons has rightly stood against this withdrawal agreement. It should be utterly unacceptable to any unionist. For Northern Ireland traders to be expected to treat GB as a third country is ridiculous and was never going to receive support in Parliament.”
    The third paragraph makes my point
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

The Apprentice episode might be cancelled...that be sure to piss a lot of people off.

With the woeful quality of the candidates, cancelling it is a blessing. We don't need to see them on screen ever again.
  • Options

The problem for the Tories is the ERG, Johnson and Rees-Mogg are even more Toxic. The Tories are driving toward a brick wall whatever they do.

On a separate point, why do you go on about Corbyn being a threat to the economy yet deny a Hard Brexit would not be a problem? In reality both are a serious economic threat!
    Indeed they are
  • Options

Hard Brexiteers model there vision of the nation on Canada.
    Corbyn models his vision of the nation on Venezuela.

Only one is a serious economic threat.
  • Options
    May's premiership might have hit the buffers rather quickly, but these guys are doing even worse...

Eleven Sports, a streaming service that aimed to become the "Netflix of sport", is at risk of closure after only four months, following its failure to secure distribution via established pay-TV operators and amid concern over mounting losses.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt that Eleven Sports is considering pulling the plug on its UK operation after the mixed martial arts competition UFC triggered an exit clause on its exclusive deal, which was due to begin in January.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/12/12/netflix-sport-streaming-service-eleven-sports-risk-closure/
  • Options

With the woeful quality of the candidates, cancelling it is a blessing. We don't need to see them on screen ever again.
    Not another contest with woeful candidates, surely?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

kle4 said:

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out.

The public endorsements have me questioning my own prediction that she will lose, but it would be shocking to me if she didn't. Another election is very likely, particularly if her deal is approved, and they won't want her leading them then. And if her deal is, as is likely, not passed, then what is she even there for? Keeping her only delays further hard choices they need to make.
This discussion has been closed.