Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May – the wrong woman for her time?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Theresa May – the wrong woman for her time?

So this is how constitutional settlements are brokered: not at a measured pace with Olympian detachment and the wisdom of Solomon but at high speed in a blind funk with a deal cobbled together in shadowy alcoves. It’s not pretty.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    First again and I can't argue with any of the above - indecision isn't needed now
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Hello - I must be going ;)

(I am not in the mood for more Brexit spats - just keeping you company until someone else turns up)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    eek said:

First again and I can't argue with any of the above - indecision isn't needed now

Reading the header and still getting the 'First' - kudos!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    May be not.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    FPT: "As David Davis so eloquently said sometime before the referendum: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”

EU's buggered then, as it seems to find it impossible to change its mind on the backstop.

But then, is the EU a democracy?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

FPT: "As David Davis so eloquently said sometime before the referendum: “If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy.”

EU's buggered then, as it seems to find it impossible to change its mind on the backstop.

But then, is the EU a democracy?

The ability to change your mind is not the same as an obligation to change your mind. Leave voters are allowed to vote Leave again.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Well - that is my job done. Goodnight everyone.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    "like pearls from a broken necklace"

More like bowling balls if it was one of May's necklaces.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Great header - worth it just for 'evitable'!
  • Options
    FPT

I am with BT and have just renegotiated my package as follows

Superfast Fibre Plus BT whole home with 67 mb average download including complete wi fi guarantee including router and separate disc giving whole home cover at £35.99 per month including line rental

I pay an additional £12 per month for free weekend landline calls and BT sports on two tvs

Also I use their on line 'chat' line for support if it is necessary and it is excellent

Also I did not take no deal off the table until I did the deal !!!!!
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum where leadership was required. Anyone, even Andrea Leadsom, would have been better than this. They could hardly have been worse!
  • Options

FPT

Superfast Fibre Plus BT whole home with 67 mb average download including complete wi fi guarantee including router and separate disc giving whole home cover at £35.99 per month including line rental

I pay an additional £12 per month for free weekend landline calls and BT sports on two tvs

Also I use their on line 'chat' line for support if it is necessary and it is excellent

If only the international diplomacy worked like that.
  • Options

FPT

You should have asked for unicorn poop and seen what you got then...
  • Options

FPT

Haha - nice last line, although I feel bound to point out that 'No Deal' in this instance would have meant you moving to another supplier.

The Brexit No Deal equivalent is: you being ready to have no broadband and revert to modem dial-up.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum

Yup. She sucks.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2019
    https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/shortcuts/2019/jan/21/you-can-still-like-gillian-anderson-even-if-she-makes-a-great-thatcher

Some people don’t seem to get the fact actors act out characters they may or may not like...if playing a character was an endorsement, nobody would be allowed to play a racist, a sexist, let alone a murderer etc.
  • Options

Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum

Yup. She sucks.
    Arf! 😄
  • Options

FPT

Haha - nice last line, although I feel bound to point out that 'No Deal' in this instance would have meant you moving to another supplier.

The Brexit No Deal equivalent is: you being ready to have no broadband and revert to modem dial-up.
    I was being naughty putting in the last line but it was the principle throughout my business career.

If I did not like the deal I said no deal
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited January 2019

Couldn't agree more. May has provided a complete vacuum where leadership was required. Anyone, even Andrea Leadsom, would have been better than this. They could hardly have been worse!

That's an interesting one. At the time of the leadership election prominent remainer journalists esp Rachel Sylvester in the Times did a hatchet job on Leadsom. A conspiracy theorist might suggest perhaps they knew May would fuck up Brexit. In fairness Leadsom would still have been a poor choice because her inexperience as much as anything. Bojo blundered and missed his chance by dropping out. Ifs and buts as usual.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940
    edited January 2019

FPT

If BT had 28 customers, of whom only 11 actually paid in...
  • Options
    Beto O'Rourke may (or may) not be running but he's definitely touring America https://medium.com/@BetoORourke/i-had-been-to-ulysses-kansas-once-before-briefly-312e9dac8011
  • Options

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/shortcuts/2019/jan/21/you-can-still-like-gillian-anderson-even-if-she-makes-a-great-thatcher

Some people don’t seem to get the fact actors act out characters they may or may not like...if playing a character was an endorsement, nobody would be allowed to play a racist, a sexist, let alone a murderer etc.

Indeed, it's amazing what little grasp on reality some people have.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Excellent header, couldn't agree more.

The Tories have not really had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher - none of her successors has tried to take the party out of its comfort zone or challenged the unrealistic preconceptions of its membership. May is the latest in a long line of mediocrities who have placed the prejudices of the ageing, shrinking band of activists ahead of everything else, including those of the country. History will not look kindly on any of them, May least of all.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Forget Diane Abbott calling QT racist, apparently saying pogba has pace and power is...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/21/paul-pogba-pace-power-rethink-bame-coverage

What an absolutely horseshit article including claims that being 6ft 3” midfielder isnt particularly big. It bloody is. And in Arsenal midfielder of old it wasn’t just viera described as a beast, petit was as well, cos you know they were.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    edited January 2019
    I think Theresa May could have been a reasonable PM but from the moment she lost her majority she's just been on a downward spiral.

It would have been much better for her and the country if she'd resigned on 8th June 2017. At exactly the moment the country needed strong leadership we found ourselves with a leader that had very badly weakened herself...

And the rest is history.
  • Options
    On topic I do think Alastair is largely correct though she was dealt a poisoned chalice that would have overwhelmed most in the attempts at squaring a circle that is virtualy impossible

After today I do think she has lost most of the control and my instinct indicates the remainers in the HOC are taking control and remain is increasing daily

The ERG over stretched and look as if they are going to struggle to achieve any Brexit

I do not like to think how the public will feel if we end up remaining, but we would be mad to move to Norway rather than remaining
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Norm said:

That's an interesting one. At the time of the leadership election prominent remainer journalists esp Rachel Sylvester in the Times did a hatchet job on Leadsom. A conspiracy theorist might suggest perhaps they knew May would fuck up Brexit. In fairness Leadsom would still have been a poor choice because her inexperience as much as anything. Bojo blundered and missed his chance by dropping out. Ifs and buts as usual.
    Leadsom was also a proven liar. And thick as mince.
  • Options
    Who on earth would donate to a campaign where the only thing on the table is a deal most MPs hate...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Before I read this, it seems like a lot of words to say "Yes".
  • Options

The Tories have not really had a leader worthy of the name since Thatcher - none of her successors has tried to take the party out of its comfort zone or challenged the unrealistic preconceptions of its membership. May is the latest in a long line of mediocrities who have placed the prejudices of the ageing, shrinking band of activists ahead of everything else, including those of the country. History will not look kindly on any of them, May least of all.

Point of order. Not all us are prejeudiced oldies
  • Options
    eek said:

Who on earth would donate to a campaign where the only thing on the table is a deal most MPs hate...
    It is the height of absurdity that there are people out there who think a GE is a good idea right now.
  • Options
    The fall out from Diane Abbott's encounter with the riff raff in Derby continues

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/21/fiona-bruce-bullied-intimidated-hard-left-labour-supporters/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

It is the height of absurdity that there are people out there who think a GE is a good idea right now.
    I hear there is a lady in Bristol who doesn’t....
  • Options
    I do appreciate the accurate summary of what happened in the Syria vote situation, rather than the version Ed M has told since.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's a problem for all Labour MPs in Leave areas - As shadow Brexit minister Jenny Chapman will have a particular problem squaring the circle as there is little interest in another vote in her constituency...

https://twitter.com/JennyChapman/status/1085091453053923329
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The fall out from Diane Abbott's encounter with the riff raff in Derby continues

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/21/fiona-bruce-bullied-intimidated-hard-left-labour-supporters/

Kinder gentler politics....
  • Options
    On topic, great header.

May is not a leader. At best, a number 2 but more like a good number 3.

One of her few achievements at the Home Office was getting rid of Abu Qatada. She kept going, knew what she wanted, negotiated successfully, did not have to persuade anyone else and pretty much did it all herself. Other than that she managed to survive without any disasters. We should have been warned that this showed someone who avoided doing stuff.

She has approached Brexit in the same manner, which is why it has proved disastrous. She promoted herself above her level of competence and, boy, does it show.

A task - Brexit - which required someone with the wisdom of Solomon - got a middling unimaginative inflexible functionary, trying to manage a party which was determined to play out its nervous breakdown in public and involve everyone else in its psychodrama.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

If you are in a leave constituency it may be a slightly better than a second referendum...
  • Options

Indeed, it's amazing what little grasp on reality some people have.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2322312/26-of-poll-thinks-no-deal-means-stay-in-the-eu
    And parliament thinks we the public will make the right choice when asked again?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    eek said:

That's a problem for all Labour MPs in Leave areas - As shadow Brexit minister Jenny Chapman will have a particular problem squaring the circle as there is little interest in another vote in her constituency...

https://twitter.com/JennyChapman/status/1085091453053923329

If she wanted to Leave she should have voted for the deal
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

One of her few achievements at the Home Office was getting rid of Abu Qatada. She kept going, knew what she wanted, negotiated successfully, did not have to persuade anyone else and pretty much did it all herself. Other than that she managed to survive without any disasters. We should have been warned that this showed someone who avoided doing stuff.

She has approached Brexit in the same manner, which is why it has proved disastrous. She promoted herself above her level of competence and, boy, does it show.

A task - Brexit - which required someone with the wisdom of Solomon - got a middling unimaginative inflexible functionary, trying to manage a party which was determined to play out its nervous breakdown in public and involve everyone else in its psychodrama.

Not a leader is the key...she is like brown in the respect. Both are technocrats, used and comfortable taking weeks or months to plan making decisions, and then find it nearly impossible to change course if it doesn’t go to plan.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited January 2019
    Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

I agree with you and your last paragraph is not unreasonable but where was there ever a Solomon for this chaos
  • Options

I tried speculating last night if there are any MPs who would be worse in this particular situation. Not that she does not have some qualities better than many, but thinking about how she is so clearly wrong for this situation as she is unwilling to act and is just pursuing options she knows will not work just to delay.

All I came up with were Chris Williamson and Chris Chope as being worse, but there have to be a full handful at least. Suggestions?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

I agree with you and your last paragraph is not unreasonable but where was there ever a Solomon for this chaos
    No. And May, although having made mistakes along the way (refusing to have the Cabinet make a decision until the middle of last year for a start) was still not doing more harm than potential good. She is now, by refusing to move because she is terrified of party divisions.,

Corbyn would make a better Prime Minister than May right now. No question in my mind whatsoever.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Norm said:

Leadsom was also a proven liar. And thick as mince.
    I concur to an extent with the first but not the second.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT

You should have asked for unicorn poop and seen what you got then...
    Unicorn poop comes in many colours

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/fashion-and-dolls/poopsie-surprise/poopsie-unicorn-slime-surprise-pink-rainbow-assortment/p/165627?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2K_Kr-7_3wIVAUPTCh1fvQknEAQYASABEgLAEvD_BwE
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I tried speculating last night if there are any MPs who would be worse in this particular situation. Not that she does not have some qualities better than many, but thinking about how she is so clearly wrong for this situation as she is unwilling to act and is just pursuing options she knows will not work just to delay.

All I came up with were Chris Williamson and Chris Chope as being worse, but there have to be a full handful at least. Suggestions?
    Andrew Bridgen, Iain Duncan Smith, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, Steve Baker, and the woman who I helped to elect, Andrea Jenkyns, though I think David Herdson deserves the lion's share of the credit for that.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2019

GIN1138 said:

Kinder gentler politics....
    When Fiona Bruce was appointed as Question Time host, a lot of people seemed to think she was going to get a lot of criticism from alt-right types for being a typical BBC left-wing metropolitan liberal.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andrew Bridgen, Iain Duncan Smith, Peter Bone, Mark Francois, Steve Baker, and the woman who I helped to elect, Andrea Jenkyns, though I think David Herdson deserves the lion's share of the credit for that.
    They at least know what they want, so forward motion could occur from time to time.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

Probably not in one man or woman. But someone with a bit more imagination, empathy and self-awareness might have realised that he/she needed really good people around them to make a, hopefully, better collective decision. She has made appalling appointments, has chosen poor advisers and got rid of good ones and has had no team around her to help. A really good strong Cabinet was needed. What did we get? Davis, Fox and Johnson.

A good leader is not someone who has all the strengths needed. That is rare indeed. A good leader is someone who has some of the qualities needed, recognises their own weaknesses and appoints people around them to provide what the leader cannot.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Scott_P said:
    Those plotting to resign backed her in the confidence vote (presumably). Why did they do so if hey were so unhappy with her leadership!? She's never given any indication she would compromise with Remainers despite obvious parliamentary arithmetic, so what did these ministers expect!?
  • Options
    May has to go.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    For those of us not following every twist and turn of this soap opera can anyone explain the significance?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Does anyone have the wording of the Cooper amendment?

And how would it have legal force?

ie Would it compel May to revoke Article 50 if no deal approved by Commons? If not, how would it work?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,710
    Excuse the segue, but this illuminates something I find incredibly annoying: namely, are we getting Cabinet leaks in real-time now? It's gotten so bad you could go thru the leaks and construct the meetings minute-by-minute. It's really annoying
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

May has to go.

Who do you think should replace her?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

May has to go.

She should have gone awhile ago. She's pushed doing nothing too far. If she won't lead, she should let someone else lead.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Those plotting to resign backed her in the confidence vote (presumably). Why did they do so if hey were so unhappy with her leadership!? She's never given any indication she would compromise with Remainers despite obvious parliamentary arithmetic, so what did these ministers expect!?
    Indeed.

Remain or leave one thing is for sure the Tory Party is not covering itself in glory at the moment...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    MikeL said:

ie Would it compel May to revoke Article 50 if no deal approved by Commons? If not, how would it work?

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1087435251486519300
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

No. And May, although having made mistakes along the way (refusing to have the Cabinet make a decision until the middle of last year for a start) was still not doing more harm than potential good. She is now, by refusing to move because she is terrified of party divisions.,

Corbyn would make a better Prime Minister than May right now. No question in my mind whatsoever.
    I am so sorry, but on this no way would he be remotely competent.

Cooper, Benn, Starmer maybe but Corbyn is off the scale of suitability
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

May has to go.

Who do you think should replace her?
    A coin tossing machine. It'd be more decisive.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    kle4 said:

... the Honorable Member for Christchurch and Upskirting throughly deserves it.

[edit: shit, I ment Gavin Williamson! Sorry, wrong Williamson! Stupid Viewcode!]
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    I dunno, TMay looks hopelessly incompetent right now but you have to wait to see the outcome.

Imagine parliament "forces" a Remain vs Deal referendum on her. A few months from now we could easily have:
    * Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM
    * Her enemies marginalized, feuding and discredited

...and people will be asking if she planned the whole thing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

I am so sorry, but on this no way would he be remotely competent.

Cooper, Benn, Starmer maybe but Corbyn is off the scale of suitability
    I never said I thought he would be competent. I very much don't. May would have been better than him in almost every situation, but she has proven that for this one she is not.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

This is the bill she has tabled, I don't know how it relates to the amendment.

https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2017-19/europeanunionwithdrawalno3.html
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2017-2019/0321/19321.pdf
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Cameron tried to take the party out of its comfort zone by tuning it into an orange booker lib dem tribute act. He did not complete the process which is one of the reasons there is such division today.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

A task - Brexit - s psychodrama.

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic, great header.

I would not go that far.
  • Options

I dunno, TMay looks hopelessly incompetent right now but you have to wait to see the outcome.

Imagine parliament "forces" a Remain vs Deal referendum on her. A few months from now we could easily have:
    * Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

A remainer drug ridden fantasy I'd suggest
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That 's been the odd thing. Why the hell did people who loathe Thersa May keep her in office?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Excuse the segue, but this illuminates something I find incredibly annoying: namely, are we getting Cabinet leaks in real-time now? It's gotten so bad you could go thru the leaks and construct the meetings minute-by-minute. It's really annoying
    We may as well have the meetings streamed to us live.
  • Options
    Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

Which part don't you buy?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MikeL said:

And here's the amendment to give that Bill air time:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1087468063644102659
  • Options
    Anyway, if you're bored of Brexit or fed up with it, some non-Brexit related reading.

https://barry-walsh.co.uk/news/

The essay I refer to is very well worth your time.
  • Options
    I hope somene with better knowledge than me could set out the amendments, the effect, their support, and the overall trajectory for next week and beyond

To be honest I do not have a clue
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    That 's been the odd thing. Why the hell did people who loathe Thersa May keep her in office?
    Because there are worse alternatives, and the membership would probably choose them.

PS This will contine to be true for years to come.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Because they want to advance their careers and she's the blame sponge. They keep their heads down, she messes up, they come out of der bunker and rule the rubble.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Absolutely. The level of detail and swiftness of it suggests to me that since they cannot possibly be whipping out their phones and texting it right there during the meeting, they must be writing up what they intend to say (or what they intend to say they said) beforehand. It's incredibly irritating and another example of how the Tories are essentially not even in government anymore, they are operating entirely independently in Cabinet only caring that we get to know who among them is saying what to position for the leadership contest.
  • Options

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I can imagine Brexit cancelled but the idea there'd still be a functioning Tory party afterwards is shall we say politely a tad unlikely.
  • Options

How does Cameron fit in that? For all his many faults, he did modernise the party, before the reactionaries took it back.
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing, today I found out that Eric Idle and John Major were born on the same day.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2016/03/i-hope-you-dont-feel-too-disappointed.html
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

We may as well have the meetings streamed to us live.
    Indeed
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Because they want to advance their careers and she's the blame sponge. They keep their heads down, she messes up, they come out of der bunker and rule the rubble.
    I thought that was the strategy years ago, since dealing with Brexit was likely to destroy whoever was at the helm. But it's been so incompetent there may not be survivors from out of the bunker, and they should have taken their chances and fled.

As they will, I am sure, claim later they opposed what May was doing, they intend to treat us all like absolute cretins, by pretending they had no choice.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

I hope somene with better knowledge than me could set out the amendments, the effect, their support, and the overall trajectory for next week and beyond

Be careful. You could be in line for a Cabinet role if you keep on like that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

How does Cameron fit in that? For all his many faults, he did modernise the party, before the reactionaries took it back.
    For that matter, so did John Major.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Foxy said:

He was riding on the shoulders of a brave party chairman who said they looked to people like the nasty party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/oct/08/uk.conservatives2002
  • Options

Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Because there are worse alternatives
    Not any more.
  • Options

Foxy said:

He was riding on the shoulders of a brave party chairman who said they looked to people like the nasty party.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/oct/08/uk.conservatives2002
    Ridiculous! what would give people that idea?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2019
    eek said:

This touches on why, if we do have an election soon, I think Brexit will barely feature, just as in 2017.

Labour and the Tories will both have an interest in having Brexit written out of the script, because of the fact that their MPs are so split on it (and in the Tories' case, because it would remind people of the shambles that had triggered the election in the first place), so both will stick to the issues they feel they can win on, and on which both their MPs and voter bases are (relatively) united on. The Lib Dems will bang on endlessly about Brexit, of course, but (again as we saw last time) they are simply too insignificant to dictate the agenda if the big two won't play ball.
  • Options

This very good site is likely to have an explainer on them within a few days. I'll keep a look-out and flag it up when they have one:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MikeL said:

So presumably if this gets passed this is why we'd need a general election?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    For those of us not following every twist and turn of this soap opera can anyone explain the significance?
    In short, Labour amendment won't pass.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Sean_F said:

rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    There's the thing though. It is quite difficult to loathe her. Irritation, frustration, infuriated, yes. She has held on so long precisely because her opponents can imagine a much worse replacement.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

I can imagine Brexit cancelled but the idea there'd still be a functioning Tory party afterwards is shall we say politely a tad unlikely.
    If Brexit gets cancelled, then I think Farage's new party will be riding high in the polls.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Norm said:

Norm said:

* Brexit cancelled
    * Con leading in polls
    * TMay still PM

What do you think would happen to the Tory Party specifically? Is everybody going to leave?
This discussion has been closed.