Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coming to a Brexit near you: Rejoin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited January 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Coming to a Brexit near you: Rejoin

Whether the UK leaves the EU is still just about a question of ‘if’ as well as (or instead of) ‘when’, although of course ‘if’, being open-ended, isn’t of itself very meaningful. Suffice to say that the not-very-liquid Betfair market on Brexit date has ‘not before 2022’ at 4.2 – or, in percentage terms, a 24% chance. This is now slightly shorter than the 4.4 best price on 2019Q1: odds only justified by the chance of a No Deal Brexit occurring without an Article 50 extension.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    premier
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    No problem, give it forty years and have another referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

This must hurt - the Nixon Foundation distances itself from Roger Stone...
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/427057-nixon-foundation-distances-nixon-from-roger-stone-after-indictment

The unkindest cut of all....
    "Stone has been a vocal fan of Richard Nixon and has a tattoo of Nixon's face on his back."

CREEPy.......
    Stone's cellmate has complained that it's hard to keep an erection when you are staring at an enormous tattoo of Richard Nixon
    That sounds like a Bill Maher joke...
    Guilty.

(My excuse, I was actually with Bill Maher and Ann Coulter this evening, and got to hang out with the writing staff. Man, those guys are sharp.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    CD13 said:

It will be a lot sooner than that. 5-10 years maximum.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Foxy said:

CD13 said:

It will be a lot sooner than that. 5-10 years maximum.
    +1
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    We will not rejoin.
    Once we are out, we are out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    Labour, by contrast, will have a big question to answer for its election manifesto

Won’t Corbyn do what he does best and simply pretend to ignore the question ?
  • Options

We will not rejoin.

I tend to agree.

That being said, I suspect that we will have a closer relationship with the EU going forward than - for example - Nadine Dorries would approve.
  • Options

We will not rejoin.

Never say never, but I think that it is very likely that we do have a government elected on a Rejoin platform soon.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    rcs1000 said:

We will not rejoin.

I tend to agree.

That being said, I suspect that we will have a closer relationship with the EU going forward than - for example - Nadine Dorries would approve.
    ‘We’ being England, naturally. The Celtic nations will be members.
  • Options
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited January 2019
    As far as Rejoin being in the next Labour manifesto is concerned, that will, I think, depend very much on when the next GE is.

If it is in the next year or two, then it will probably be too soon, especially as Corbyn is likely to still be leader. However, come 2022, with a new leader (Corbyn is odds against lasting beyond 2020 according to Betfair) and three years into the expected immediate downside and perhaps chaotic aftermath of Brexit, then I think having Rejoin as a manifesto commitment will be hard to resist.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited January 2019
    Whips surrender over plan to stop no deal

Ministers have been warned that they will be unable to defeat a cross-party move to rule out a no-deal Brexit in the Commons next week.

Senior government sources said they had all but given up trying to stop a crucial amendment to the government’s motion being passed on Tuesday. The move, which has the backing of more than 200 MPs, calls for Theresa May to rule out a no-deal Brexit. It is being proposed by the former Conservative cabinet minister Dame Caroline Spelman and Labour’s Jack Dromey.

Whips are understood to be telling Tory opponents of a no-deal Brexit that they would rather they supported this amendment than a rival move by Labour’s Yvette Cooper that would hand parliament the power to demand an extension of Article 50.

“Given where opinion is in the House no one really thinks we have a chance of defeating the Spelman amendment,” a senior government source said. “But we might be able to persuade enough of our people just to vote for that, and vote against Cooper, which is constitutionally far more significant.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-whips-surrender-over-plan-to-stop-no-deal-9qx77q28n
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Foxy said:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

We will not rejoin.

I tend to agree.

It will all be about the economy. If we are impoverished we could rejoin. After all, we found we needed to join for economic reasons in the first place. If we prosper, we will stay out.
  • Options
    Ann Coulter, for those who don't know, is 57.

I, for one, would not like to suggest she has had any surgery.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,523
    edited January 2019
    In a sense UK and EU is rather like Ireland and Britain/England. History, geography and politics suggest that there is no comprehensive satisfactory solution to be had. Therefore it is going to continue to be a political issue.

BTW the Irish minister on Today this morning was unable to give any account of how it is that (1) if we crash out without a WA, Ireland won't impose a hard border, but (2) the backstop is essential to prevent a hard border. Is this puzzle going to become important very soon?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

We will not rejoin.

Beat me to it. It's why those who want to stay in are trying so hard to reverse Brexit, or make it so soft that Britain all but becomes a non-voting member of the club, in the hope that very close alignment will smooth the path to a reasonably quick return. They know once we're gone, we're gone: after the decades of rancour that Europe has caused in British politics, culminating in the seemingly endless Brexit farrago, there will be no widespread clamour amongst the general public to go back in.

It's almost certainly true that some ultras will found a Rejoin campaign immediately, but the committed support for such a thing amongst the electorate as a whole will be minimal (save, perhaps, for in Scotland and Northern Ireland, and even there they'll merely form a part of the wider campaign for secession, as David Herdson correctly alludes to.) And we should not, of course, over-estimate the enthusiasm for having us back amongst the rest of the EU states, either.

I believe that the campaign to go back into the EU would have about as much support and relevance as the campaign to abolish the monarchy. Yes, there are perfectly good arguments to be advanced in support of both propositions. And yes, someone would do a big poll every year or two suggesting that a quarter or even a third of the population was amenable to the idea - in theory. However, the numbers who'd genuinely care about the cause in practice, and be willing to invest any time or money in it, would be small.

Rejoin would be a fringe movement to which most of us would pay little or no attention, regardless of how loudly and passionately it shouted.
  • Options
    BudG said:

As far as Rejoin being in the next Labour manifesto is concerned, that will, I think, depend very much on when the next GE is.

If it is in the next year or two, then it will probably be too soon, especially as Corbyn is likely to still be leader. However, come 2022, with a new leader (Corbyn is odds against lasting beyond 2020 according to Betfair) and three years into the expected immediate downside and perhaps chaotic aftermath of Brexit, then I think having Rejoin as a manifesto commitment will be hard to resist.

The Labour Manifesto is very likely to include Customs Union and Compliance with Single Market regulation. Indeed the FTA if the WA passes would most likely include that too.

It is a short step from there to Rejoin, so that we can have a say in the deals and rules.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, to be fair on Coulter, her ugliness is on the inside.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I can't see us trying to re-join soon. What will be the selling point? It could only be if we have a major recession and they don't. In that case, the terms will be much worse. "Going cap in hand" is never going to sell easily.

The EU won't have changed much. It may be even more closely aligned without us there. And by then, we'll have other commitments too. The old headline …'Fog blankets channel, Europe cut off' will be true.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    You trying to scare us this morning ?

• Options
    Labour will become a Rejoin party once Corbyn stands down. Not before.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

We will not rejoin.

Dear Diary, today I agreed with something Gardenwalker wrote.....
  • Options

Labour will become a Rejoin party once Corbyn stands down. Not before.

Don’t forget the Burgon wilderness years.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Every misstep, every ill, will be blamed on a Brexit that happened at a time that the majority opposed it. The politicians implementing it are already despised. The broken promises of Leavers will be easy to point to.

And, most importantly, the settlement with the EU will constantly being picked at by diehard Leavers because they are clinically insane.

So rejoin will have plenty of traction.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
  • Options
    Rejoin's mahoosive problem will be in convincing people that the membership fees will be worth closing all those hospitals and sacking all those doctors and nurses to pay for them.....

Because that is how it will be framed. NHS Top Trumps the EU, every time.
  • Options
    Interesting first chart - suggesting that more people can see positives in leaving than before
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eating babies is great for the skin.....
  • Options
    Very interesting.

In fact it suggests a poweful argument that might cut through what is now a very boring debate: that we should can Brexit because it is stopping us focusing on the real issues.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Interesting first chart - suggesting that more people can see positives in leaving than before
    I don’t see how you can draw that conclusion: the only significant long term movement has been away from the nut-nut Leavers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
    In person she was very nice, and rather flirty. My wife was not impressed.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

Where is her hand?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Unless we go through catastrophic economic times, as Mr Mark says, there will be 10 billion reasons every year not to rejoin.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994

Rejoin's mahoosive problem will be in convincing people that the membership fees will be worth closing all those hospitals and sacking all those doctors and nurses to pay for them.....

That won't be a problem at all because nobody gives the slightest fuck how anything is paid for. We'll just slam it on the defecit. A bit like the 39bn Brexit bill.
  • Options
    My three post-Brexit predictions:

1. We will not rejoin.
    2. We will end up quite closely aligned to the EU.
    3. Anything that goes wrong in the UK in the next five years, irrespective of the fundamental cause, will be blamed on Brexit.
  • Options

Very interesting.

In fact it suggests a poweful argument that might cut through what is now a very boring debate: that we should can Brexit because it is stopping us focusing on the real issues.
    A drawback of Brexit that I have been pointing out for years, eg:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/08/18/how-brexit-is-blinding-us-resulting-in-other-massive-issues-being-ignored/
  • Options

the settlement with the EU will constantly being picked at by diehard Leavers because they are clinically insane.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1089051754900176896

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1089076878286221312
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Unless we go through catastrophic economic times, as Mr Mark says, there will be 10 billion reasons every year not to rejoin.

If there are 15 billion reasons to rejoin, that might swing things. We know Brexit makes us poorer, the debate is who and how much.
  • Options

Every misstep, every ill, will be blamed on a Brexit that happened at a time that the majority opposed it. The politicians implementing it are already despised. The broken promises of Leavers will be easy to point to.

And, most importantly, the settlement with the EU will constantly being picked at by diehard Leavers because they are clinically insane.

I do agree it will have traction with very many but re-joining will depend on both how we progress post brexit but also how the EU evolves. I am sure the most devoted fans of the EU accept it has some very real problems and internal frictions

It may be that labour come out to rejoin but I very much doubt the conservatives will do so anytime soon

I can wholly understand why the EU supporters cling to the hope it will happen soon but, if we do leave, I think re-joining could be a rather distant ambition
  • Options

So when the NHS run out of staff and medicine as a result of Brexit, how exactly does that argument run?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. P, quite.

Suppose there's an amendment backing May's deal but with a time-limited backstop.

And the EU refuses to agree.

Does the deal happen, but with a potentially permanent backstop that can only be left with EU permission?

That'll calm things down...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My three post-Brexit predictions:

1. We will not rejoin.
    2. We will end up quite closely aligned to the EU.
    3. Anything that goes wrong in the UK in the next five years, irrespective of the fundamental cause, will be blamed on Brexit.

The left are still blaming Margaret Thatcher - I think 5 years is far too short a period: 25 at least.

(We won't rejoin since the EU won't offer terms anywhere as good as the ones we have just rejected. I am sure we will end up quite closely aligned politically and economically as the EU is the closest large political/ economic organisation to us - if it doesn't fracture).

Still think it is half-time. The WH have stated and confirmed Mr Trump's statement he will issue a state of emergency in three weeks regarding the wall. Whether that is a bluff will be soon discovered.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

That's one thing. Here's another.

Imagine that this Parliament runs its term and that the 2022 GE is fought between the Tories running almost entirely on a domestic agenda and a post-Corbyn Labour Party wanting to pick at the open wounds of Brexit - whether through advocating a Norway-type arrangement alone, or promoting that as a bridge to a medium-term plan to go back into the EU. The Conservative campaign writes itself doesn't it?

1. We already had this argument, for years - for Christ's sake let's not go back there.
    2. Labour won't stop banging on about Europe, will they?
    (as well as 3. Which taxes are they going to raise/which hospitals are they going to close to cover the membership fees?)
  • Options
    We joined the EU for economic reasons that haven’t really gone away. If anything they have got stronger. It won’t be fun politically being the junior partner to EU, bossed around by the Germans and French.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
    'Has Paul Nuttall had a hair transplant?'
  • Options

Yes, and I see that as a secondary goal of the #peoplesvote movement. Mobilising the second largest political demonstration in British history and harvesting their contacts is a great start for Rejoin.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/427057-nixon-foundation-distances-nixon-from-roger-stone-after-indictment

"Stone has been a vocal fan of Richard Nixon and has a tattoo of Nixon's face on his back."

CREEPy.......
    Stone's cellmate has complained that it's hard to keep an erection when you are staring at an enormous tattoo of Richard Nixon
    That sounds like a Bill Maher joke...
    Guilty.

(My excuse, I was actually with Bill Maher and Ann Coulter this evening, and got to hang out with the writing staff. Man, those guys are sharp.)
    Great picture for the next PB caption competition.

Sounds like a good night, the likes of Maher do a very good job of making something very well honed and scripted sound completely off the cuff - Maher more than most as the show goes out live.
  • Options
    Britain won’t need to worry about membership fees on rejoining.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The Tories are determined to be seen to own the forthcoming No Deal Brexit. Never in Jeremy Corbyn’s wildest dreams could he have hoped for this. It is a truly wonderful political gift. We’ll be hearing a lot of “We said No Deal would be a disaster, but the Tories voted for it” over the coming months.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So when the NHS run out of staff and medicine as a result of Brexit, how exactly does that argument run?
    "So when the NHS run out of staff and medicine..."

Of course it will, dear.....
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
    Jeremy has aged badly since the end of Peep Show.
  • Options

That's one thing. Here's another.

Imagine that this Parliament runs its term and that the 2022 GE is fought between the Tories running almost entirely on a domestic agenda and a post-Corbyn Labour Party wanting to pick at the open wounds of Brexit - whether through advocating a Norway-type arrangement alone, or promoting that as a bridge to a medium-term plan to go back into the EU. The Conservative campaign writes itself doesn't it?

1. We already had this argument, for years - for Christ's sake let's not go back there.
    2. Labour won't stop banging on about Europe, will they?
    (as well as 3. Which taxes are they going to raise/which hospitals are they going to close to cover the membership fees?)
    It willbe the other way round. The Labour Party will have a domestic agenda in its manifesto, and the Tories will be banging on about Europe because they always do. Deal or No Deal, that will be the case.
  • Options

Charles said:

I don’t see how you can draw that conclusion: the only significant long term movement has been away from the nut-nut Leavers.
    I’m on an iPhone so may have misread it

P4

Devastated pessimists (dissspoibted with results / no significant positives to leaving) down from 37 to 33

Accepting pragmatists (dissappointed but can see some significant positives from leaving) up from 9% to 12%

Die Hards (pleased and no significant downsides to leaving) up from 27 to 30

Cautious optimists (pleases but have done significant concerns) flat at 16

It’s just at the edge of MoE (assuming standard +/-3 but haven’t checked) but all pointing in sane direction. Only 1 month obviously but I suspect most people have only just started paying attention. What I also find intriguing (anecdote) is that I’ve started hearing more people talking about Brexit in the tube and street all they all seem well informed and thoughtful (on all sides)

Have saved the rest but not read yet
  • Options
    Rejoin will most likely not happen because they will say ‘Non’. We will want the economic boost to pay for hospitals and create jobs, but they won’t see us as worth bothering with.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
    With you or with her...?
  • Options

Charles said:

Actually that’s not true. There has also been a substantial increase in don’t knows. This seems to have been powered by now-uncertain Leavers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:
    And she’s thinking...?
    With you or with her...?
    She likes ginger nuts.
  • Options

Britain won’t need to worry about membership fees on rejoining.

Because we will still be paying them as part of the WA and then for the FTA.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

P4

Devastated pessimists (dissspoibted with results / no significant positives to leaving) down from 37 to 33

Accepting pragmatists (dissappointed but can see some significant positives from leaving) up from 9% to 12%

It’s just at the edge of MoE (assuming standard +/-3 but haven’t checked) but all pointing in sane direction. Only 1 month obviously but I suspect most people have only just started paying attention. What I also find intriguing (anecdote) is that I’ve started hearing more people talking about Brexit in the tube and street all they all seem well informed and thoughtful (on all sides)

The starting point in March 2017 was

Deranged: 37
    Deluded: 16
    Irrationally optimistic: 14
    Realists: 30
    Don’t know: 3

Now it is:

Deranged: 30
    Irrationally optimistic: 12
    Realists: 33
    Don’t know: 9
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

the settlement with the EU will constantly being picked at by diehard Leavers because they are clinically insane.

They don’t agree with you, Marina, so they must be gibbering idiots who are servile before the shitlords.

Well I guess that’s one way of persuading the voters
  • Options

Mr. P, quite.

Suppose there's an amendment backing May's deal but with a time-limited backstop.

And the EU refuses to agree.

Does the deal happen, but with a potentially permanent backstop that can only be left with EU permission?

That'll calm things down...

If it’s conditional approval I don’t think it can?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Rejoin will most likely not happen because they will say ‘Non’. We will want the economic boost to pay for hospitals and create jobs, but they won’t see us as worth bothering with.

Rather like in the 1960's, Britons will feel insulted by being vetoed.

In practice the FTA will include Customs Union and Single Market alignment, and subscriptions to pay for EU run agencies. No Commissioners and MEPs to give the EU27 difficulties. It will suit them well.

• Options
    I guess a party stupid enough to back Brexit is also stupid enough to vote to take full ownership of the consequences of a No Deal Brexit.
  • Options
    Anyway from the thread it’s already apparent that Leavers are still not even beginning to think about how they can build a lasting settlement that includes the current majority that thinks Brexit is a mistake.

Bearing in mind that EU allegiance is now a core part of most voters’ identity, this is a baffling continuing failure.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

P4

The starting point in March 2017 was

Deranged: 37
    Irrationally optimistic: 14
    Realists: 30
    Don’t know: 3

Now it is:

Deranged: 30
    Irrationally optimistic: 12
    Realists: 33
    Don’t know: 9
    I was looking at the last month.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

They don’t agree with you, Marina, so they must be gibbering idiots who are servile before the shitlords.

Marina’s very well made point is that it is the Buccaneering shitlords who are the gibbering idiots. It’s hard to disagree.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited January 2019

and all remainers will need to do is remind people of the bus.

You are also assuming that we won't be paying anything into the EU once we are "out". I think that's quite unlikely.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I expect the Honours Committee are currently feeling quietly pleased with themselves.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

It's not MH's job to persuade anyone. If you'r reading her column in the G then you've already got a settled view that JRM and his ilk are worthless shits.
  • Options
    ‘Buccaneering Shitlord’

That’s quality abuse. Well done.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

We will not rejoin.

I tend to agree.

Wales voted to Leave

PS. Greetings from Kerala in southern India. Hope you're not still freezing your proverbials off :lol:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Buccaneering Shitlords have entered new realms of paranoia when they interpret HRH speaking to a WI as an intervention of the dark state.

We are truly down a Trumpian rabbit hole and desperately needing our own Pelosi.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Buccaneering Shitlords have entered new realms of paranoia when they interpret HRH speaking to a WI as an intervention of the dark state.

We are truly down a Trumpian rabbit hole and desperately needing our own Pelosi.
    There are no realms of paranoia which Brexiters will not reach for.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,265
    edited January 2019
    Scott_P said:

Um, isn't your Queen a post-feudal aristocrat??
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Jonathan said:

Charles said:

I am sure a Brexiteer will be along in a minute to tell us that

1) this never happened. It is all EU lies
    or
    2) this is a great victory for Britain
    or
    3) All of the above...
    It’s a shame, unnecessary and n to stay in London and work for the MHRA...
    Unnecessary? Seriously delusional. We voted to leave. You support it. What on Earth do you expect?
    I’ve continually argued that the EU and U.K. would benefit from opening es.

I think it’s outrageous the Commission itself is not in Norway.

You may be happy with the institution you support taking ng.

The EMA is an EU institution that quite obviously should be located within a territory where EU law is sovereign and will remain so.

We are very likely to leave the EU on a No Deal basis. How on earth would the EMA have functioned in the UK in that scenario?

The EMA leaving is the inevitable consequence of the decision voters such as yourself took in June 2016.
    I don’t think any of the Remainers who gave responded on this topic have actually read my post.

I’ve said (a) it was inevitable and (b) it is a bad hether if not the EU is acting in a sensible way.

The EU was acting in the only way open to it - as the approach of a No Deal Brexit demonstrates.

No the EU could have been creative and thoughtful
    No, we told them to fuck off, so they fucked off.
    People need to make up their minds- they vary between saying the EU has been engaged worked in good faith but we have mucked it up or saying that they've just sat back and not engaged at all but that's ok as it's our fault.

Given the EU have said they wanted a deal I believe the former, but people are very inconsistent in defending them either as being very conciliatory but we're bastards, or not conciliatory at all but that's ok as were bastards.

It also fails onto the same thinking as the ultra leavers. They think anything agreed with the EU must be bad because the EU agreed it. These people think anything the EU concedes means them doing us a favour, even if it would help us both. Both ultras seem to have no idea what negotiation means.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,232
    Not convinced by this. I think people will have had enough of this debate for a couple of decades at least. By then we will be looking at a very different EU, probably with most financial decisions being made by a government based in the European Parliament (once the undemocratic rule by the unelected and unaccountable ECB becomes totally intolerable) with national Parliaments reduced to local government.

It is possible that this will look attractive if we have not made a success of our independence but I doubt it. I also think that the EU itself would need a lot of persuasion that we would not be a disruptive influence again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Scott_P said:
    The Tories are determined to be seen to own the forthcoming No Deal Brexit. Never in Jeremy Corbyn’s wildest dreams could he have hoped for this. It is a truly wonderful political gift. We’ll be hearing a lot of “We said No Deal would be a disaster, but the Tories voted for it” over the coming months.
    Unless Corbyn commits to EUref2 with a Remain option he would also get the blame for No Deal as Labour Remainers would move to the LDs as the polling clearly shows. Of course even the ERG want a Deal but without the backstop but that requires the EU to move on that too
  • Options

Scott_P said:

But neither plastic, nor a shitlord.

• Options
    As the research indicates, Brexit is widely understood - even by Brexiters - as a multi-year shitfest that has prevented us talking about how to improve how to improve health, housing, jobs, and reduce crime.

Moreover, even if we agree an exit deal we have many more years of this to come.

We need to end the shitfest.
    Vote to end Brexit and start talking about what matters to people again.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

But neither plastic, nor a shitlord.

BTW it's Australia Day Republic Day in India :)
  • Options
    FPT
    rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

CREEPy.......
    "Therefore, I shall resign the Presidency erect-ive at noon tomorrow."

(I thank you)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:

Its pretty silly too as it was a very generic comment and I honestly don't see how anyone would think it would sway dozens of mps from their firmly held opinions. Some no dealer or grieve fanatic would stop hunting for their precious? So Far more plausibly she just made as much of general plea for respect as she could.

When people over interpret very bland statements to such a degree it is very telling. Presumably he thinks he is being unreasonable too and so assumes it's all about him.
  • Options

Whips surrender over plan to stop no deal

Ministers have been warned that they will be unable to defeat a cross-party move to rule out a no-deal Brexit in the Commons next week.

Senior government sources said they had all but given up trying to stop a crucial amendment to the government’s motion being passed on Tuesday. The move, which has the backing of more than 200 MPs, calls for Theresa May to rule out a no-deal Brexit. It is being proposed by the former Conservative cabinet minister Dame Caroline Spelman and Labour’s Jack Dromey.

Whips are understood to be telling Tory opponents of a no-deal Brexit that they would rather they supported this amendment than a rival move by Labour’s Yvette Cooper that would hand parliament the power to demand an extension of Article 50.

“Given where opinion is in the House no one really thinks we have a chance of defeating the Spelman amendment,” a senior government source said. “But we might be able to persuade enough of our people just to vote for that, and vote against Cooper, which is constitutionally far more significant.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-whips-surrender-over-plan-to-stop-no-deal-9qx77q28n

That's the end of brexit then.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How many different amendments on the backstop to we need?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not convinced by this. I think people will have had enough of this debate for a couple of decades at least. By then we will be looking at a very different EU, probably with most financial decisions being made by a government based in the European Parliament (once the undemocratic rule by the unelected and unaccountable ECB becomes totally intolerable) with national Parliaments reduced to local government.

It is possible that this will look attractive if we have not made a success of our independence but I doubt it. I also think that the EU itself would need a lot of persuasion that we would not be a disruptive influence again.

The last sentence is your best point.

Leavers massively underestimate how successful they have been in making the EU a central issue of British politics. Congratulations, your monomania has become contagious and mutated.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Double post.
  • Options

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Marina’s very well made point is that it is the Buccaneering shitlords who are the gibbering idiots. It’s hard to disagree.

It’s a Pointless debate when set alongside what is truly important:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46991602
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265

Streeter said:

rcs1000 said:

We will not rejoin.

I tend to agree.

Wales voted to Leave

PS. Greetings from Kerala in southern India. Hope you're not still freezing your proverbials off :lol:
    But recent polling showing Wales changing its mind as reality of Airbus, Ford & Lamb exports sinks in.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, just the tiniest flaw in plan A 2.0. It's purpose is to pass, then use the EU not passing it as proof it is their fault no deal happens.

If the EU were to accept it they'd surely make their own tweak and send it back to us. Why wouldn't they? If it's reopened it's reopened.

So they won't.
  • Options
    And the big political news of the day...

https://twitter.com/HTScotPol/status/1089091443552149504
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    edited January 2019
    I wonder how we’d react if the EU decided the WA had to be changed because the current one couldn’t get through the European parliament. My guess is not well.
This discussion has been closed.