Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Beto O’Rourke says he can’t decide whether to run for the Pres

124»

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kyf_100 said:

Charles said:

How posh do you have to be to reach the interface point between 'sledge' and 'toboggan'?

Kate Silverton has just used the latter.

Not very - toboggan as a noun is irredeemably middle class.

Posh people use a sledge to go tobogganing.

Or just use a tea tray (my Dad once used a tea tray to slide into Everest base camp in some style)
    You're forgetting that for some of us Middle Class is posh.

I used to use my sledge to go sledging.
    we made do with a heavy duty plastic sack from the local farm with an old cushion inside. went faster than most sledges and didnt break your ankle if a runaway hit you.
    Plastic sack? Luxury! We made do with a bit of old cardboard box round my way.
    We 'ad to make do wi' just the skin on us backs.....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is an impartial referee giving media interviews?

Should we expect to hear from football refs at half time too?
    You weren’t supposed to hear him. He’s focusing on his post retirement value in the US market
    Sadly that’s undoubtedly true.

I’ve never really understood the US speaker circuit for retired politicians, or what value people think they’re getting for their couple of hundred grand an hour?
    It’s marketing

I remember a Brazilian contact telling me about an event that JPM held for their top 300 private clients in the country.

Jamie Dimon and Tony Blair greeted each one by name as they arrived in the room.

He said that although intellectually he knew that they were just very well briefed (they had a short, relevant conversation about his business) it was incredibly impactful.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Andrew said:

2 year extension has a lot of logic to it - under the WA transition status we'd de facto be in the EU anyway. It also avoids the HoC roadblock, since May could request the extension unilaterally afaics.

ERG would go absolutely apeshit of course, but screw em.

It does raise the issue of the EU elections, but we should just waive our right to participate.

"Look, we're leaving anyway - and the last thing you guys need is Farage with an extra couple of dozen loons sat behind him...."
    The screenshot suggests appointing MEPs. Presumably the current lot.
    That sounds undemocratic - the EU will love it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I was unaware of a referendum there and still use 'Llanelly' when sending post to family in the area. In a similar way, I continue to refer to Cardigan rather than Ceredigion and Anglesey rather than Ynys Mon. Interestingly it is rare to hear people outside the Welsh speaking community refer to Abergwaun or Abertawe instead of Fishguard or Swansea.

Cardigan -> Aberteifi but Cardiganshire -> Ceredigion.

I am always interested in your bulletins on how well Labour is doing in Wales and Scotland from Norwich North.
    I grew up in Haverfordwest , Pembrokeshire - though do not recall commenting on elections in Wales beyond my own opposition to Devolution. .
    You mean Hwllffordd, I take it? Or were you S of the Landsker Line?
  • Options
    Seems like Ian Dunt has gone mad from that quote Mr P.

Meanwhile in the real world the UK is Europe's fastest growing G7 economy. I think it's you, Mr Dunt and FBPE loons are are increasingly hysterical with their babbling.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Charles said:

How posh do you have to be to reach the interface point between 'sledge' and 'toboggan'?

Kate Silverton has just used the latter.

Not very - toboggan as a noun is irredeemably middle class.

Posh people use a sledge to go tobogganing.

Or just use a tea tray (my Dad once used a tea tray to slide into Everest base camp in some style)
    You're forgetting that for some of us Middle Class is posh.

I used to use my sledge to go sledging.
    we made do with a heavy duty plastic sack from the local farm with an old cushion inside. went faster than most sledges and didnt break your ankle if a runaway hit you.
    Plastic sack? Luxury! We made do with a bit of old cardboard box round my way.
    We 'ad to make do wi' just the skin on us backs.....
    You just on big brothers lap and went down........ it was OK until his girl-friend came along.
  • Options
  • Options
    Quote sounds about right.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    Andrew said:

Chris said:

If the government were in a position to screw their Eurosceptic wing, the whole thing would have been sorted out by now.

The WA needed their votes to pass, an extension doesn't :-)
    Maybe not (though as some people are claiming a revocation would need parliamentary approval, I'm surprised they're not saying the same about extending the timetable).

But I'm sure a lengthy extension would split the Tory party in much the same way as other obvious ways out, such as a referendum.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

Andrew said:

2 year extension has a lot of logic to it - under the WA transition status we'd de facto be in the EU anyway. It also avoids the HoC roadblock, since May could request the extension unilaterally afaics.

ERG would go absolutely apeshit of course, but screw em.

It does raise the issue of the EU elections, but we should just waive our right to participate.
    We'd need to have a referendum to decide whether to waive our right to vote ...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    W. Post:

The country is now on the verge of disaster. On March 29, unless something is done, Britain will fall out the European Union without a deal. That will affect every aspect of the economy. It’s likely to block haulage cargo at the border; pulverize agricultural exports; trigger shortages of food, medicine and radioactive isotopes; spark employment chaos by suddenly canceling the mutual recognition of qualifications between British and European institutions; halt the legal basis for data transfer overnight; and lead to massive and sudden flows of immigration in both directions. The list goes on and on. There is no part of society that is unaffected. And yet not only does the British political class not seem to understand the consequences of what it is doing, it is lost in populist fantasies instead of addressing the cold reality.
  • Options
    If there is a problem here, it is not a lack of f****** democracy
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

W. Post:

The country is now on the verge of disaster. On March 29, unless something is done, Britain will fall out the European Union without a deal. That will affect every aspect of the economy. It’s likely to block haulage cargo at the border; pulverize agricultural exports; trigger shortages of food, medicine and radioactive isotopes; spark employment chaos by suddenly canceling the mutual recognition of qualifications between British and European institutions; halt the legal basis for data transfer overnight; and lead to massive and sudden flows of immigration in both directions. The list goes on and on. There is no part of society that is unaffected. And yet not only does the British political class not seem to understand the consequences of what it is doing, it is lost in populist fantasies instead of addressing the cold reality.
    https://youtu.be/yHNfvJc99YY
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,156
    Ian Dunt and the Washington Post in a positive feedback loop.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    I am not a fan of his hyperbolic writing style, but the nub of what he is saying is sound enough. We have been mainly talking to ourselves and the consequences of leaving without a deal are unpredictable likely to be pretty unpleasant.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    Scott_P said:
    No, that is what shoving TINA down the throats of people who keep telling you that isn't what they want for a generation or more gets you. But ymmv.
  • Options

I am not a fan of his hyperbolic writing style, but the nub of what he is saying is sound enough. We have been mainly talking to ourselves and the consequences of leaving without a deal are unpredictable likely to be pretty unpleasant.
    And May tried to repeat the same trick.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:
    Given it’s Preston saying this, we shouldn’t be worried at all.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited February 2019

You just need to believe harder. Really, really, unbelievably hard.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

W. Post:

I hope and expect a deal but this sort of hyperbole about 'no deal' simply doesn't help. It may even serve to entrench positions and will certainly look very silly when most of it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

W. Post:

I hope and expect a deal but this sort of hyperbole about 'no deal' simply doesn't help. It may even serve to entrench positions and will certainly look very silly when most of it doesn't happen.
    I’m preparing care packages for my friends and family as we speak :o
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Scott_P said:
    I can't believe you wrote it without big pauses halfway through each sentence.
  • Options
    At last. Someone's been convicted of allowing FGM on their daughter. And it's the mother who has been convicted.
    See BBC site.... London Region.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited February 2019
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:
    No, that is what shoving TINA down the throats of people who keep telling you that isn't what they want for a generation or more gets you. But ymmv.
    #FBPE Twitter has spent the last three days mainly on sarcasm and hyperbole rather than reasoned argument, as it’s finally dawning on them that there isn’t a majority in Parliament to overturn the referendum - so the UK is actually about to leave the EU.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    kyf_100 said:

Scott_P said:
    It does.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I was unaware of a referendum there and still use 'Llanelly' when sending post to family in the area. In a similar way, I continue to refer to Cardigan rather than Ceredigion and Anglesey rather than Ynys Mon. Interestingly it is rare to hear people outside the Welsh speaking community refer to Abergwaun or Abertawe instead of Fishguard or Swansea.

I am always interested in your bulletins on how well Labour is doing in Wales and Scotland from Norwich North.
    I grew up in Haverfordwest , Pembrokeshire - though do not recall commenting on elections in Wales beyond my own opposition to Devolution. .
    Yes - Little England beyond Wales!
  • Options

At last. Someone's been convicted of allowing FGM on their daughter. And it's the mother who has been convicted.

"During the trial, she claimed her daughter "fell on metal and it's ripped her private parts" after she had climbed to get a biscuit.

The child was taken to Whipps Cross Hospital, in Leytonstone, where she "lost a significant amount of blood as a result of the injuries they had delivered and inflicted on her", jurors were told."

!!
  • Options
    If the Tories want to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat a two year membership extension during which time a trade deal is negotiated has a whole lot of upside. I guess the big issue is whether the Tories could actually agree on what the trade deal would be.
  • Options

If the Tories want to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat a two year membership extension during which time a trade deal is negotiated has a whole lot of upside. I guess the big issue is whether the Tories could actually agree on what the trade deal would be.

Fair play to the EU for admitting their sequencing was a totally idiotic idea.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Given it’s Preston saying this, we shouldn’t be worried at all.
    I took delivery of more toilet roll yesterday.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Yes - Little England beyond Wales!
    That's what I really like about this forum. you don't just learn more about what you think you know, you learn about things you've never heard of.
  • Options
    If there were a proposal to extend Article 50 for 2 years, to negotiate a trade deal, I wonder how Labour would vote.
  • Options

"During the trial, she claimed her daughter "fell on metal and it's ripped her private parts" after she had climbed to get a biscuit.

The child was taken to Whipps Cross Hospital, in Leytonstone, where she "lost a significant amount of blood as a result of the injuries they had delivered and inflicted on her", jurors were told."

!!
    God help us!!!!!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    IanB2 said:

W. Post:

It will be like living in the world of Mad Max.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

W. Post:

Yep. Unhinged.
  • Options
    Poor girl.

A newly qualified solicitor has been struck off after she knowingly overcharged clients when she was a trainee.

Emily Scott joined the firm Quality Solicitors De Vita Platt in Barton-upon-Humber as a paralegal in 2010 before being taken on as a trainee in 2012. She soon found that there was very little of quality about the firm. The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal heard that the firms two partners, Jonathan de Vita and Christopher Platt, repeatedly ripped off a number of clients. In one instance a client was charged £52,000 for work valued at £2,500.

Platt – who claimed he couldn’t live on less than £2,000 a week – bullied the unfortunate trainee into assisting with the fraud and, subsequently, his attempts to cover it up. Scott did not benefit financially and ultimately reported the firm to the SRA. She qualified in November 2014.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/trainee-struck-overcharging-clients-after-being-bullied-partner
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited February 2019

But think of all those poor souls who have lavished money on stockpiling. They will be distraught.

It is, however, about the most sensible idea I've heard on Brexit for a long long time, and how the negotiations should have proceeded initially.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Poor girl.

A newly qualified solicitor has been struck off after she knowingly overcharged clients when she was a trainee.

Emily Scott joined the firm Quality Solicitors De Vita Platt in Barton-upon-Humber as a paralegal in 2010 before being taken on as a trainee in 2012. She soon found that there was very little of quality about the firm. The Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal heard that the firms two partners, Jonathan de Vita and Christopher Platt, repeatedly ripped off a number of clients. In one instance a client was charged £52,000 for work valued at £2,500.

Platt – who claimed he couldn’t live on less than £2,000 a week – bullied the unfortunate trainee into assisting with the fraud and, subsequently, his attempts to cover it up. Scott did not benefit financially and ultimately reported the firm to the SRA. She qualified in November 2014.

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/trainee-struck-overcharging-clients-after-being-bullied-partner

That seems remarkably unfair to me. People should not be punished for doing the right thing.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Poor girl.

£52,000 for £2,500 - so easy to accidentally transpose a couple of digits and slip in an extra zero!

Her sentence seems a bit harsh in the circumstances.

Still "Twatmandrill" is my new word of the week.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

If there were a proposal to extend Article 50 for 2 years, to negotiate a trade deal, I wonder how Labour would vote.

What would they have to vote on though? The only thing I can think of is altering the Withdrawal Act to add +2 years to the date, and blocking that would mean they'd get all the blame for the resulting no-deal scenario.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Poor girl.

That seems remarkably unfair to me. People should not be punished for doing the right thing.
    What was that about supporting whistleblowers? Too often such tribunals ignore such advice.
  • Options

We would end up in the same situation as now pretty much, unless May followed through on her promise to open up the discussion on the future trade deal.

Otherwise it would be her compromise that was close enough to solve the border issue, but not close enough to satisfy Labour and too close to appease the ERG.
  • Options
    A commentator said today that the ERG's threat to withhold the £39 billion is 'barking' as the EU will make sure they get it back with interest in any negotiations over a trade deal. He also said that the ECJ could not compel the UK to pay once we exit
  • Options

Poor girl.

£52,000 for £2,500 - so easy to accidentally transpose a couple of digits and slip in an extra zero!

I do worry about the effect on whistleblowers. I think the appropraite thing would have been to ask her to complete a fresh training contract somewhere else (with or without some credit).

• Options

He also said that the ECJ could not compel the UK to pay once we exit

Ah yes, being in breach of your international obligations. What a great look for the UK.

Instead we should pay that part relating to our prior liabilities and refute any liability for 2019/20 and 2020/21 budgetary contributions
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Welsh Devolution Referendum 1997:

Yes 50.3%
    No 49.7%

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

I heard dafter ideas
    It would effectively mean the EU acknowledging that the sequencing idea was a stupid one. But we shouldn’t make an issue of that because this is quite a good solution to where we are today
    As a remain voter who now supports Leave this is a good option. It should never have been sequenced in that way in any case. The most disturbing thing for me that has come out over the last few days is that by signing the Good Friday agreement the government has committed to free movement across a border, without reference to possible membership of the EU. I assume that there has always been a get out mechanism like A50
    Why would you include a get out mechanism in the GFA? It was supposed to settle things permanently. But no one thought through the black swan scenarios properly
    If they had been thought through, the GFA would surely have created an all-island customs territory at the time, which would have made it clear Brexit would not take Northern Ireland out of the customs union.
    But I suspect one of the beauties of the GFA was that EU membership made some of those tricky sovereignty things go away. It was basically "what are we all worrying about? These things all happen anyway because Single Market/ever-closer-union/Jacques Delors says so". Writing stuff like customs into the GFA separately would feel a bit like John Humphreys asking Irish people if they want to rejoin the UK again.
  • Options
    I am glad we have remained highly high minded here on PB, and not descended to the depths that academic twitter seems to have :smiley:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1091327441925296134
  • Options

!!
    So sad, here’s hoping that an exemplary sentence is passed down and that the trial is publicised among ‘communities’ where this offence may be an issue.
  • Options

We would end up in the same situation as now pretty much, unless May followed through on her promise to open up the discussion on the future trade deal.

Otherwise it would be her compromise that was close enough to solve the border issue, but not close enough to satisfy Labour and too close to appease the ERG.

Yep, the backstop would still be a live issue and would be very dependent on the trade deal that was negotiated. And there does seem to be major disagreement within Tory ranks about what the final deal would look like. But all that applies anyway, so why not just extend and get the full benefits of membership in the meantime?

• Options

Poor girl.

I do worry about the effect on whistleblowers. I think the appropraite thing would have been to ask her to complete a fresh training contract somewhere else (with or without some credit).

Totally agree. Case as stated, far too harsh.
  • Options

I am glad we have remained highly high minded here on PB, and not descended to the depths that academic twitter seems to have :smiley:

Matthew Goodwin is far from perfect, but he tries hard to engage with the public. It's not his fault that the Spectator's editor put out a completely unfair tweet that named him positively. On this, today at least, he is much more sinned against than sinning.
  • Options

Poor girl.

+1. Very harsh on the young lady, who did the right thing in reporting the fraud to the authorities. Better protections for such whistleblowers required.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Poor girl.

Yep, that sounds very harsh.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Who is Ian Dunt and why is he seen as an infallible sage of Brexit?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited February 2019

He also said that the ECJ could not compel the UK to pay once we exit

Ah yes, being in breach of your international obligations. What a great look for the UK.

Instead we should pay that part relating to our prior liabilities and refute any liability for 2019/20 and 2020/21 budgetary contributions
    Yes but that was the point about my full post. We may not have to pay it legally but the EU would extract it and more through trade negotiations

And of course, it is outrageous that we even suggest we will not pay our liabilities

My plea

Sign TM deal and exit in March and move on - ends no deal, extension, revoke or referendum, all in one act
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Sean_F said:

Poor girl.

The fact pattern is more complicated than that - the whistleblowing came after she left, not at the time so ah has finished her TC. Recent case law doesn’t help her either.
  • Options

Matthew Goodwin is far from perfect, but he tries hard to engage with the public. It's not his fault that the Spectator's editor put out a completely unfair tweet that named him positively. On this, today at least, he is much more sinned against than sinning.
    What's that quote about academic politics? It is the most bloody, because the stakes are so small.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    matt said:

Who is Ian Dunt and why is he seen as an infallible sage of Brexit?

He is one of the extreme remainers who is very bitter about brexit and tends to use unnecesssary language in his statements. He is editor of politics.co.uk
  • Options

Yep, the backstop would still be a live issue and would be very dependent on the trade deal that was negotiated. And there does seem to be major disagreement within Tory ranks about what the final deal would look like. But all that applies anyway, so why not just extend and get the full benefits of membership in the meantime?
    The main negative as far as I can see is that May sees it as her duty to deliver Brexit, so we would likely have another two years of her zombie ministry. I think signing the withdrawal agreement, and entering the transition would be preferable, as there's a chance that the next Tory leader might be better suited to forging something approaching a consensus, rather than insisting that it exists already.

But I would be delighted to escape this current mess with another two years of EU membership.
  • Options

Beto will be on the ticket as VP...

I think that's quite a likely eventual outcome.
    The poster will read 'Harris - O'Rourke 2020'
This discussion has been closed.