Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The January 29th 2019 amendments and the extension rumours

Comments

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

As yes, the Norway model.

Have a small population and discover vast quantities of oil and gas offshore.

I never tire of telling the story of the lengthy border negotiations between the UK and Norway, to define the boundary between the two countries. Assumed a fairly esoteric exercise, there were occasional meetings over a period of years. One day, after the Norwegians had treated our team to a slap up lunch, we caved in and accepted their proposal.

The section we had agreed to give away included huge hydrocarbon deposits in the Statfjord, Gullfacks, Sleipner and Frigg fields. If we had held the line in those talks, Norway's oil fund of around a trillion dollars would have been significantly the UK's.
    Thatcher would have wasted it, like she did the rest of Scotland's oil
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    edited February 2019

Spotted in the Sunday Times that the EY Item Club are forecasting growth of 0.7% this year and 0.6% next year if we leave with no deal. That does not sound like much of an economic catastrophe. My apologies if this has been covered on here earlier today.

You missed this bit

EY Item Club, which uses the Treasury’s forecasting model, expects the economy to expand by 0.7% this year and 0.6% next year under a no-deal Brexit — with the potential for a recession in the second half of 2019.
  • Options

Spotted in the Sunday Times that the EY Item Club are forecasting growth of 0.7% this year and 0.6% next year if we leave with no deal. That does not sound like much of an economic catastrophe. My apologies if this has been covered on here earlier today.

You missed this bit

EY Item Club, which uses the Treasury’s forecasting model, expects the economy to expand by 0.7% this year and 0.6% next year under a no-deal Brexit — with the potential for a recession in the second half of 2019.
    Not much of a recession given those growth figures.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121
    If it makes Remainers feel better that they didn't put in the hard yards in 2016 to prevent Brexit, then blame Putin.....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited February 2019

If it makes Remainers feel better that they didn't put in the hard yards in 2016 to prevent Brexit, then blame Putin.....
    We didn't Putin enough effort?

Edit - although I think one problem was Cameron was in too much of a Russia to hold it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

You missed this bit

With those numbers it would be a very small recession, 0.5, 0.5, -0.2, -0.1? Even with opportunity cost it's not exactly earth shattering.

I think it would be significantly worse. I'd take a guess at -1.2% for the year overall with a recession continuing into early 2020.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

Now you’re just Russian to judgement.

Edit: you edited your post!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,767
    @MattW

Sorry about the article. It was originally intended to cover the amendments and was submitted midweek to be published today. But the unexpected kerfuffle with the extension forced a rewrite and what was a simple article with two tables became a complex one with (at one point) five tables, which was reduced to three. If time had permitted I would have translated the odds as probabilities and depicted the results as three or four graphs, but it did not and the final version was submitted at approx 3am my time. Hopefully the next one will be bettet
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I've vlad second thoughts, as you can see.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If they delay article 50, would they be Stalin for time?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Enough of these puns. Off you trotsky.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I'd join in, but Moscow.....
  • Options

Enough of these puns. Off you trotsky.

Full Marx for effort.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

If avocados are Remain fruit, which fruits are distinctively Leave?

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged to tour northern English blots on the landscape to see third rate paintings rather than visit internationally famous art galleries in world-famous cultural destinations of unsurpassed beauty. Could we be issued with itineraries (tentatively to be named The Fourteen Stations Of The Wrong Cross)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

The Leave fruit would be an apple, but an Irish Peach - comes around quickly, and about half of people say it tastes delicious when you pick it, but if you leave it even for a short time it goes off and causes a bad taste, being then useful for nothing and nobody.

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/apple-trees/irish-peach
    Ironically I suggest the leaver fruit is a Seville Orange. Looks lovely growing on the tree, full of promise. You pick it full of hope. Then you take a bite.
    Then you discover that a minimal input of time and effort transforms it into the most delicious, and most distinctively British, foodstuff known to mankind.

Tricky things, analogies.
    Terry's Chocolate Orange?

Only joking. I've been Brexi-hoarding Duerr's (which is unaccountably cheaper than the sugary jelly which passes for Robertson's Marmalade) just in case.
    I have 2kg of the things themselves sitting in the kitchen waiting to be processed.

I am also quite seriously starting to build up reserves of tins, rice and pasta, starting tomorrow. Leaver bravado about Project Fear is starting to sound a bit hollow.
    I will give you a leaver tip. Think of what project fear says will be rotting at the ports.
    You should have your seedlings in for Toms, pots and salad leaves plus other veggies you like. Bought your polytunnels, rotovated the lawn and covered it in cow shit.
    That plus beef and pork in the freezer and a good stock of olive oil is the answer if you are a believer.

Pasta, rice and tinned stuff will be freely available, it does not rot at the port.
    My local shops seem to have sold out of potato seeds already though.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

ydoethur said:

Surely a Czar should be appointed to look into these allegations?
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Jonathan said:

I'd join in, but Moscow.....
    I misread your new avatar as 'troll sperm.' I must be drunker than I thought.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged to tour northern English blots on the landscape to see third rate paintings rather than visit internationally famous art galleries in world-famous cultural destinations of unsurpassed beauty. Could we be issued with itineraries (tentatively to be named The Fourteen Stations Of The Wrong Cross)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

The Leave fruit would be an apple, but an Irish Peach - comes around quickly, and about half of people say it tastes delicious when you pick it, but if you leave it even for a short time it goes off and causes a bad taste, being then useful for nothing and nobody.

Ironically I suggest the leaver fruit is a Seville Orange. Looks lovely growing on the tree, full of promise. You pick it full of hope. Then you take a bite.
    Then you discover that a minimal input of time and effort transforms it into the most delicious, and most distinctively British, foodstuff known to mankind.

Only joking. I've been Brexi-hoarding Duerr's (which is unaccountably cheaper than the sugary jelly which passes for Robertson's Marmalade) just in case.
    I have 2kg of the things themselves sitting in the kitchen waiting to be processed.

I am also quite seriously starting to build up reserves of tins, rice and pasta, starting tomorrow. Leaver bravado about Project Fear is starting to sound a bit hollow.
    You are well behind the curve.

But here's the thing. You can't sensibly prepare for rioting in the street social breakdown Brexit unless you stocking up on propane tanks and other survivalist shit.

The best you can prepare for, without being a whackjob, is mildly inconveniencing Brexit, low stock of things you like. Thus our 6 month supply of capers and nice olives.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Surely a Czar should be appointed to look into these allegations?
    Kamenev a moment to consider that?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That's what you Soyuz

(This joke only works if you realise the Russian pronounciation of "Soyuz" is say-ooshz, not the Western pronounciation of soy-uzz)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You missed this bit

With those numbers it would be a very small recession, 0.5, 0.5, -0.2, -0.1? Even with opportunity cost it's not exactly earth shattering.

I think it would be significantly worse. I'd take a guess at -1.2% for the year overall with a recession continuing into early 2020.
    You may or may not be right. However, the Item Club are serious players and I would expect their projections to get some air time in the media. The media seem keen enough to cover the "expert and independent" reports of impending economic disaster in the event of no deal.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,598
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Call yourself a good Yorkshire lad...not liking proper rugby....they will be asking you to leave.

You've never been a Yorkshireman!!

I'm a mould breaking Yorkshireman.

I'm a bit cosmopolitan for Yorkshire.
    You speak French and eat pineapple on pizza?
    Well I speak French.

Swearing in French, it's like wiping your arse with silk.
    As I recall, you had to pineapple pizza after a certain bet although here were comments about 'cow botherers' when you lot. Are you saying you didn't keep it?

I could just merder a good line in swearing over the current impasse in Parliament.
    It was more half a slice rather a full pizza.
    Actually, I'm going to leave it there, because I think on re-reading my comment you deserve a medal for working out what I meant.

How does SeanT do it (that is, post vaguely coherently while pissed)?
    Practice.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Call yourself a good Yorkshire lad...not liking proper rugby....they will be asking you to leave.

Nonsense. Some of us take a less cramped view of God’s own county.

That argument just Leeds to a bad place.
    How could a non-native Harrogate such a judgment to themselves ?
  • Options
    It's hard to argue with that, even if Nick Boles isn't the best person to make the argument.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

That's what you Soyuz

(This joke only works if you realise the Russian pronounciation of "Soyuz" is say-ooshz, not the Western pronounciation of soy-uzz)
    Works OK for Brummies.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I agree on reflection on reflection that it was Hully inappropriate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

That joke is past its Selby date.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

I can feel your anger Ripon through your keyboard. Be careful it doesn't become a Thirsk for revenge.

Goodnight.
  • Options

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

That's what you Soyuz

Works OK for Brummies.
    I laughed so much my Pepsi Max squirted out of my nose. My fellow train passengers were unimpressed... :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You speak French and eat pineapple on pizza?
    Well I speak French.

Swearing in French, it's like wiping your arse with silk.
    As I recall, you had to pineapple pizza after a certain bet although here were comments about 'cow botherers' when you lot. Are you saying you didn't keep it?

I could just merder a good line in swearing over the current impasse in Parliament.
    It was more half a slice rather a full pizza.
    Actually, I'm going to leave it there, because I think on re-reading my comment you deserve a medal for working out what I meant.

How does SeanT do it (that is, post vaguely coherently while pissed)?
    Practice.

It's easy if you're used to it.

I remember once chatting to a minister at a Conservative conference, when so drunk, I had no memory of what I had said. But, the following day, was complimented for the excellent points I had made (people were not being sarcastic ).
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

It's Sheffield off this mortal coil.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

But here's the thing. You can't sensibly prepare for rioting in the street social breakdown Brexit unless you stocking up on propane tanks and other survivalist shit.

The best you can prepare for, without being a whackjob, is mildly inconveniencing Brexit, low stock of things you like. Thus our 6 month supply of capers and nice olives.
    Bog roll
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Well as it happens I have a couple of horses, and a shed full of firewood to cook/smoke them over, if things get to that stage. But I do think there is a broad failure to appreciate that we are always only 48 hours away from a food riot, and investing 50 quid in holding slightly larger stocks of things with a virtually infinite shelf life is a no brainer atm.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

It's hard to argue with that, even if Nick Boles isn't the best person to make the argument.
    May should withdraw the whip and call an election.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Well as it happens I have a couple of horses, and a shed full of firewood to cook/smoke them over, if things get to that stage. But I do think there is a broad failure to appreciate that we are always only 48 hours away from a food riot, and investing 50 quid in holding slightly larger stocks of things with a virtually infinite shelf life is a no brainer atm.
    If you're worried, get a big freezer, and stick meat and veg in it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The Thirsk for puns never abates.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Scott_P said:

By the way, the references to Sunderland and Nissan in that article (from December 2016) are not ageing particularly well.

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/789772643276914690
    Nissan are not scaling back their Sunderland operation.

But they will be utilising the new EU Japan trade agreement to import their X Trail model into the EU from Japan now that prohibitive EU import tariffs on cars are to be reduced.
    You keep saying this, but the evidence for any companies shipping low to mid range cars half way and the world (irrespective of tariffs) is minimal
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

What about Children, the vulnerable and those unable to finance or plan ahead? The UK used to be a civilised society before the Brexit mental illness took hold. I have come to the conclusion that those wanting a hard Brexit are a mixture of the pathologically stupid and selfish arseholes!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Don't panic, Theresa May has "new ideas" on Brexit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47108445
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged to tour northern English blots on the landscape to see third rate paintings rather than visit internationally famous art galleries in world-famous f The Wrong Cross)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

What about Children, the vulnerable and those unable to finance or plan ahead? The UK used to be a civilised society before the Brexit mental illness took hold. I have come to the conclusion that those wanting a hard Brexit are a mixture of the pathologically stupid and selfish arseholes!
    I don't think the UK in 2015 is much different from the UK in 2019.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You missed this bit

You may or may not be right. However, the Item Club are serious players and I would expect their projections to get some air time in the media. The media seem keen enough to cover the "expert and independent" reports of impending economic disaster in the event of no deal.
    Yes, they are. I'm just surprised at the lowish level of negative impact they think no deal will have, I count that at about 4 quarters of low level recession and a 2.5-3% GDP opportunity cost. I'd rate the overall no deal recession at about 2% and the opportunity cost at about 5% with a permanent loss in economic capacity.

No deal would be a disaster for the nation, Parliament must vote through the deal.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
  • Options

Children don't keep as well as babies, as a Tory member you should know that already.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The economy, unfortunately, has usually taken second place over the last 60 years to pride, party loyalty or – and this must be the most significant driving force – a trusting sense that no matter how bad things look everything will turn out OK.

I find it hard to believe that a potential loss of a few per cent of GDP over a couple of decades would have been seen as so central to a long delayed argument about sovereignty having been surrendered without apparent popular support 60 years ago. Is it the case that the widespread media interest with the macroeconomy (for its own sake rather than outcomes for individual workers or for the working class) only arose when it became apparent that we were sliding behind many of our European neighbours?

Increasing preoccupation with the future of the economy is a feature of the last 60 years (and seemed to grow even when there was a widespread political consensus about the economy in the period before everything went tits up) and the events of the past few years (here and elsewhere) represent a rejection of the economy having taken first place. Remain put the economy first and look how that went...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Tsk, really, don't turn into another Roger.

Seriously, get yourself a copy of Christopher Lloyd's "In Search of A Masterpiece: An Art Lover's Guide to Great Britain and Ireland".

You will find much to explore outside of London, of great beauty and worth, not third-rate, and when you are bored with places like Preston, go to the trough of Bowland, of such natural beauty that it is reputed that HMQ once said that if she could retire, that is where she would retire to.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Children don't keep as well as babies, as a Tory member you should know that already.
    They pickle.....
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    From sunny uplands to no deal is survivable ! Liam Fox given up polishing the no deal Brexit turd and basically just telling the public no deal is survivable . Yippee !

Those continuing to cheer for no deal namely the lying spivs in the ERG see that as the perfect route to their low tax , crap services cesspit .

The fact that a rich country is stockpiling and is almost on a war footing shows just how absurd Brexit becomes with each passing day !

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Extra freezer arrives on Tuesday.

But its fuck all use if electricity supplies are disrupted.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged to tour northern English blots on the landscape to see third rate paintings rather than visit internationally famous art galleries in world-famous f The Wrong Cross)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Think about where we are right now.

The UK is on the verge of implementing policies that will disrupt day to day life in peacetime! We are not at war or afflicted by a plague yet politicians are complicit on embarking on a process that will detrimentally affect peoples lives. We are going to suffer at best a fundamental restriction on the economy to grow for years to come and at worst recession or depression. All for what? Honouring a poll that was only advisory and even Boris Johnson admitted before the outcome the UK could use a vote to Leave to extract a better deal or the UK stay on current terms:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/social-affairs/politics/news/68437/boris-johnson-vote-leave-get-better-eu-deal-britain
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_food
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

6 months of store cupboard food takes up less than a cubic metre of space. Freezer for the frozen veg and we are sorted.

I will be right pissed off if Brexit is delayed as then we will start going past best befores.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

The UK is on the verge of implementing policies that will disrupt day to day life in peacetime! We are not at war or afflicted by a plague yet politicians are complicit on embarking on a process that will detrimentally affect peoples lives. We are going to suffer at best a fundamental restriction on the economy to grow for years to come and at worst recession or depression. All for what? Honouring a poll that was only advisory and even Boris Johnson admitted before the outcome the UK could use a vote to Leave to extract a better deal or the UK stay on current terms:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/social-affairs/politics/news/68437/boris-johnson-vote-leave-get-better-eu-deal-britain
    I agree. It's why I'm so puzzled at the resistance to a second referendum or even revocation. It's as if those in charge are too scared to admit that (a) they may have made a mistake and (b) that they haven't properly prepared the country for a no deal outcome.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Why should there be power cuts?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged to tour northern English blots on the landscape to see third rateus f The Wrong Cross)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Then vote through the WA.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

You can get a small generator for about £3-400 that will run a freezer for maybe 6 hours on one fill of petrol.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

You can get a small generator for about £3-400 that will run a freezer for maybe 6 hours on one fill of petrol.
    That aside, I've not seen any reason why power supplies would fail.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged tss)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Otherwise known as the wealthy, retired, and expats.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

From sunny uplands to no deal is survivable ! Liam Fox given up polishing the no deal Brexit turd and basically just telling the public no deal is survivable . Yippee !

Those continuing to cheer for no deal namely the lying spivs in the ERG see that as the perfect route to their low tax , crap services cesspit .

The fact that a rich country is stockpiling and is almost on a war footing shows just how absurd Brexit becomes with each passing day !

That's disappointing from Liam. The way I understood things was that he'd be revealing a veritable Aladdin's Cave of new trade deals the moment we left. Bit of a let down to be sure.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I'm quite confident bread will still be 10p a loaf at 7.15pm in my local Tesco after we've gone off the cliff.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

What I cannot fathom is why this is still open for debate. We should know with fair precision and accuracy what will happen in a deal or no deal scenario. It shouldn’t be a matter for debate now.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    MaxPB said:

We didn't eat babies when I was a Tory member!

I lapsed my membership in 2015 as I thought I could spend £25 better than subsidising propaganda that did not serve my interests. Interestingly, when I was a member we put getting the economy right as the principle objective and that would allow us to tackle other issues. I have always found this EU preoccupation and now Brexit strange and paradoxically completely at odds to why I supported the Conservative Party in the past.

The economy functioning at optimal levels allows for strong defence, favourable taxation policies to attract big business to locate here instead of elsewhere in Europe and a compassionate welfare state that looks after those unable to look after themselves i.e. Children, the sick and the elderly.

I do not think Brexit will enable the economy to function optimally as it constrains the fundamental ability of the UK to compete on a level playing field in our nearest market the EU.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I'm quite confident bread will still be 10p a loaf at 7.15pm in my local Tesco after we've gone off the cliff.

Probably, but not when we reach the rocks...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

My experience is that the future is not perfectly predictable, and especially not at times of maximum clusterfuck which is what a no deal brexit will undoubtedly be, irrespective of the merits of the wider remain/ leave debate. I think serious disruption is 10 times more likely than I ever thought we would get from y2k, and it seems to me reasonable to take steps to minimise the disruption. Assault rifles and gold sovereigns no, a few extra tins of stuff yes.
  • Options
    Theresa May will surely start to panic herself at some stage. Unless she is completely insane (always possible), she presumably, at all costs, will not want to leave with the consequences" of no deal" and have that as her own legacy. Revoke or a referendum presumably therefore come back into play if the clock is really ticking down.

Will be kind of ironic if May pursues hard Brexit to "keep the Conservative party together" and, in parallel, also ultimately destroys it electorally. The Tories have ceded major support from business, the young and Londoners (despite Corbyn!); no deal will lose the support of moderates at a minimum; but many more if (likely when) it all goes wrong.

I, for one, will never vote for them again if no deal happens; having voted Conservative at every election for 20 years. It's the arrogance and stubbornness that kills me (also speaking as someone who would take her current deal).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

No reason why power supplies would fail, or no reason why they would fail #because of Brexit? ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

What I cannot fathom is why this is still open for debate. We should know with fair precision and accuracy what will happen in a deal or no deal scenario. It shouldn’t be a matter for debate now.
    Government doesn't understand business. So they've no idea to what extent they've been able to mitigate the risks (I would actually suspect better than they think).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

Andrew Rawnsley addressed this point today:

No one can be entirely sure. One of the issues with a no-deal scenario is the difficulty of making accurate predictions about what will follow the stark termination of decades of trading and legal agreements, and the overnight shredding of many thousands of intricate and vital arrangements. Because there is no precedent for such an event happening to a country as advanced and complex as Britain, everyone is having to guess. Some of the hazards of a no deal might transpire to be less terrible than forecast. Unforeseen perils, for which there has been no preparation at all, would likely materialise. Documents prepared for Operation Yellowhammer, the government’s no-deal contingency planning, coyly refer to “unanticipated impacts”. This is one of the greatest hazards of no-deal Brexit: even the people paid to do so can’t identify all the risks and how menacing they might turn out to be. We are in the Rumsfeldian realm of known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/03/tories-should-heed-oliver-letwin-wont-be-forgiven-no-deal-brexit
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And it seems now as part of their penance for not supporting the Leave death cult, Remainers are obliged tss)?

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

I have heard of Expats located in the EU who voted for Brexit not realising a No Deal could seriously screw them financially. I am completely unsympathetic to them and the best one I personally spoke to was a man who lived and worked in Tenerife who voted for Brexit because he didn't like the immigrants in the UK! These are people I would class as stupid and completely unable to actuate a degree of self-awareness in that the man in Tenerife was an immigrant living in a foreign country and yet made derogatory remarks about others!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    edited February 2019
    IIRC the risk to power supplies after Brexit is in Northern Ireland as they integrated in an all Ireland single energy market.

Which seems fair given the DUP intransigence and a lot of the DUP supporters live in the dark ages.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/trading-electricity-if-theres-no-brexit-deal
  • Options

I, for one, will never vote for them again if no deal happens; having voted Conservative at every election for 20 years.

Even if the economic impact is negligible?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You missed this bit

Yes, they are. I'm just surprised at the lowish level of negative impact they think no deal will have, I count that at about 4 quarters of low level recession and a 2.5-3% GDP opportunity cost. I'd rate the overall no deal recession at about 2% and the opportunity cost at about 5% with a permanent loss in economic capacity.

No deal would be a disaster for the nation, Parliament must vote through the deal.
    Indeed. And while such economic figures would be far from unprecedented, they rarely come on the back of 7 years of stagnant real wages.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817

IanB2 said:

When was the last poll to have Leave in the lead?

Arguably irrelevant. The polls aren't reliable. They were all over the place for the 2016 vote and again for the last General Election, and in both cases some of the polls were more-or-less right but most of them were plain wrong. From the experience of the General Election, we also know how what opinion polling suggests to be apparently settled views can change dramatically in the course of a relatively short campaign.

If, hypothetically, there were a straight re-run of the 2016 referendum later this year then we might well see a Remain victory, although I think that blunt instrument surveys about whether the original decision was right or wrong may mask a significant body of opinion of the middling sort: that which backed Remain in 2016 and thinks that quitting the EU isn't a very good idea, but would now vote Leave just because they believe that the original result should be respected - and that asking the same question over and over again until Parliament gets the result that it wants is both tin-eared and very impertinent.
    Surely "arguably irrelevant" implies "arguably relevant"?
    Entirely fair. I would argue that the polls are essentially useless, others would argue that they aren't. However, my central contention - that these kinds of opinion polls are closer to crystal ball gazing that a scientific exercise, and it is therefore unwise to base a solid argument upon them - is sound. It is what the available evidence would suggest.

Stating that people would now vote to stay in the EU because the published results of some YouGov surveys says that they would isn't a statement of fact, and nor is claiming that there's any kind of strong likelihood that they would do so. Taking these polls at face value is merely an instance of confirmation bias. We can speculate on the outcome of referendum mark 2, but nobody (on either side of the argument, or stuck in the middle and willing it to go away) has the faintest idea what would actually happen.
    Heartening for the Lib Dems, then.
    For all we know, they're in the lead and could be on target for a landslide.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

We didn't eat babies when I was a Tory member!

I lapsed my membership in 2015 as I thought I could spend £25 better than subsidising propaganda that did not serve my interests. Interestingly, when I was a member we put getting the economy right as the principle objective and that would allow us to tackle other issues. I have always found this EU preoccupation and now Brexit strange and paradoxically completely at odds to why I supported the Conservative Party in the past.

The economy functioning at optimal levels allows for strong defence, favourable taxation policies to attract big business to locate here instead of elsewhere in Europe and a compassionate welfare state that looks after those unable to look after themselves i.e. Children, the sick and the elderly.

I do not think Brexit will enable the economy to function optimally as it constrains the fundamental ability of the UK to compete on a level playing field in our nearest market the EU.
    It has always been entirely comprehensible to me that a right wing party would be unhappy with the constraints on self-government that EU membership entails.

But, I don't understand why some MP's wish to so bloody-minded.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

I have 2kg of the things themselves w.

Jezza is ahead of the curve, as a vegetarian allotment holder with good stock of jam. Its almost as if he was planning it...
  • Options
    edited February 2019

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

I have heard of Expats located in the EU who voted for Brexit not realising a No Deal could seriously screw them financially. I am completely unsympathetic to them and the best one I personally spoke to was a man who lived and worked in Tenerife who voted for Brexit because he didn't like the immigrants in the UK! These are people I would class as stupid and completely unable to actuate a degree of self-awareness in that the man in Tenerife was an immigrant living in a foreign country and yet made derogatory remarks about others!
    I didn't say that
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

turnips

obviously
    Turnips are a vegetable.

Bog roll
    May I suggest a lightly oiled rope in times of hardship.
  • Options

Theresa May will surely start to panic herself at some stage. Unless she is completely insane (always possible), she presumably, at all costs, will not want to leave with the consequences" of no deal" and have that as her own legacy. Revoke or a referendum presumably therefore come back into play if the clock is really ticking down.

Will be kind of ironic if May pursues hard Brexit to "keep the Conservative party together" and, in parallel, also ultimately destroys it electorally. The Tories have ceded major support from business, the young and Londoners (despite Corbyn!); no deal will lose the support of moderates at a minimum; but many more if (likely when) it all goes wrong.

I, for one, will never vote for them again if no deal happens; having voted Conservative at every election for 20 years. It's the arrogance and stubbornness that kills me (also speaking as someone who would take her current deal).

I had a meal with extended Family who always vote Conservative. The Tories are indeed trouble if their is a No Deal Brexit.

Boris Johnson had the right idea in the situation we find ourselves now:

"Boris Johnson tonight raised the possibility of Britain still remaining a member of the European Union even if it voted to leave."

• Options

I've no idea what May will do.

But if it comes to a choice between revoking Brexit, or No Deal, the latter is less damaging to her party.
  • Options

Another referendum

twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1092128988795936773

France is un-reformable isn't it.
    12 weeks of protest. ~3000 injured ~ 2000 in prison and ~ 10 dead since the protests started. Draconian legislation on the rights to demonstrate planned.

Macron is not really in a position to lecture the UK ... or even Venezuela.
    We're not in much position to lecture anyone though, are we. One of the most annoying features of Brexit is that we've been deprived of the enjoyment of mocking Americans about Trump.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But if it comes to a choice between revoking Brexit, or No Deal, the latter is less damaging to her party.

It really isn't
  • Options

Another referendum

12 weeks of protest. ~3000 injured ~ 2000 in prison and ~ 10 dead since the protests started. Draconian legislation on the rights to demonstrate planned.

We're not in much position to lecture anyone though, are we. One of the most annoying features of Brexit is that we've been deprived of the enjoyment of mocking Americans about Trump.
    We can however enjoy a degree of mutual empathy in consolation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Sean_F said:

If it comes to a choice between revoking Brexit, or No Deal, it may already be too late to avoid many of the political consequences of No Deal even if the government revokes. It's analagous to Black Wednesday - in reality it had a positive effect, but people saw a government that was willing to sacrifice their personal finances. People don't forget a government playing politics with their lives.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Are you serious?

I was not aware we were about to be blockaded
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

It really isn't
    She loses you.

It really is.

• Options

She loses you.

It really is.

She loses everyone except headbangers. I don't think that's good for the party.

YMMV
  • Options

I, for one, will never vote for them again if no deal happens; having voted Conservative at every election for 20 years.

Even if the economic impact is negligible?

Yep. The level of recklessness will have been shocking (as "negligible" would be much better than ever the most optimistic forecasts).

The "f*** business" comment will also continue to be quoted back again and again if no deal does have the expected repercussions.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

Sean_F said:

It really isn't
    Revoking has a known cost, with No Deal the Tories are gambling that nothing goes wrong for which they are blamed.

And given that Brexit will be blamed for every factory / company closure / redundancy in the next 5 years that’s a gamble I wouldn’t personally want to be taking
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The latter will be much more damaging for her (and she won't even be around to own the consequences, by her own admission).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Another referendum

But are we lecturing anyone? I hope not.

Macron has the Blairite superiority complex, which enables him to offer advice to all and sundry de haut en bas.

May, whatever her faults, doesn’t have a superiority complex. She is very ordinary, and she knows it.

Most Americans I know are so ashamed of Trump I really would not have the heart to mock them.
  • Options
    eek said:

Revoking has a known cost, with No Deal the Tories are gambling that nothing goes wrong for which they are blamed.

Given how right they were about the German car makers and Prosecco sales, they have reason for optimism...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/BylineFest/status/1092152062157172738

Errrhhh...you know who Byline are right? Cavaet Emptor...They see a conspiracy theory in everything and previously claims on Russian bots haven't gone well...

‘I’m not a Russian troll - I’m a security guard from Glasgow’

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/i-m-not-a-russian-troll-i-m-a-security-guard-from-glasgow-1-4614102
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928

Scott_P said:

Errrhhh...you know who Byline are right? Cavaet Emptor...
    Who are they ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see the yellow jackets in France are burning EU flags tonight and calling for Frexit
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited February 2019

Sean_F said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

Power cuts.
    Was wondering that.

You're going to need a helluva lot of petrol on that basis.

Power cuts seem unlikely and in any case if they are required the government would surely adopt the usual Tory policy of having a rota of pre-planned 3 or 4 hour cuts as in 1972 and 1974.

Of course the impact would be much greater today than in the early 70s, given how much more dependent we have become on electricity.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Floater said:

I see the yellow jackets in France are burning EU flags tonight and calling for Frexit

Anyone offering bets yet on which palace will be evacuated first? Buckingham or the Elysee?

Whatever many of the economic predictions about no deal, it is difficult to see that civil unrest will reach anything likely the levels that currently seems to be a permanent state of affairs in France.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Who are they ?
    They are a bit like Alex Jones of the Left. Conspiracy story in everything.

Including their greatest hits, fake stories on John Wittingdale, previously been done by Impress for defaming a journalist and made a claim about a Russian bot because they didn't speak very good English, who turned out to be some Scottish security guard.

They make the Canary look legit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Are you sure, Sean? It's pretty nasty either way, but I would have thought the former likely to be more temporary. Not sure though, and certainly respect your opinion on this.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited February 2019

Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Who are they ?
    They are a bit like Alex Jones of the Left.
    I see their recent Festival was attended by such deranged conspiracists as John Cleese, Baroness Warsi, Damian Collins MP, and Gary Lineker.

Clearly extremists of the first water.
This discussion has been closed.