Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yet another Democrat Senator prepares to fight for the WH2020

Comments

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Foxy said:

Sorry to go a bit off topic but I know we have some medical people here.

I'm trying to make some sense of a historical medical record. In this picture it's the 2nd line, can anyone make sense of it ?

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/asjohnstone/medical.png

Is it possible to see more of the page?

The first word is "enlarged", I think or possibly "delayed"
    https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/asjohnstone/Screen+Shot+2019-02-06+at+7.49.37+PM.png
    Don't think it's Delayed. Sure it's Glands.

??? Mumps?

Had your ancestor fathered anyone by then?
    Not that we're aware of, but he had 5 children over the next decade.

Doing some ancestry research, the Swedish archives are very difficult to work through :-(
    If it was mumps as an adult he was rather lucky to have become a father. Have you any later entries. Looks like an outpatient record, though.

Do you know where he sailed to next?
    The next few years are a mostly a blank; got a visit to Liverpool but not much until a marriage in Glasgow in 1874.

Trying to track a Swedish birth certificate is tricky, appears to be born in Stockholm but has been a British subject.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    This a political betting site, and two of the topics creating most interest this morning are a medical record from around the end of the 19th Century and the GCSE history curriculum, and specifically the Battle of Hastings.

Ain't life grand!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited February 2019

This a political betting site, and two of the topics creating most interest this morning are a medical record from around the end of the 19th Century and the GCSE history curriculum, and specifically the Battle of Hastings.

Ain't life grand!

Not if you have to teach the thing and try to guess what schoolboy howler the Principal Examiner is going to make next.

Oh, and you've missed SeanT's unfortunate wine.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2019

Ain't life grand!

We can always talk about Brexit once again.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ain't life grand!

We can always talk about Brexit once again.
    Let's not.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

@Richard_Tyndall

Please go back and read the quote again.

It says Harold won the Battle of Hastings.

Now I appreciate somebody whose knowledge of education and history comes from the work of liar, forger and pseudoscholar Dominic Cummings is going to be overloaded with myths.

But I think you will find if you check carefully that actually William won. That's why the entire fecking module is called 'The Norman Conquest of England 1066-1100.'

This is one of a huge number of errors I have been coming across, although it's the daftest. For example, claims about the importance of universities in Norman England (there weren't any, Oxford being a school at the time) or that the Duke of Suffolk wasn't murdered in 1450 (astonishingly, an error that wasn't overturned on both appeal and complaint). And these are at least partly due to the rushed way your hero brought in these reforms and the incompetence he and his acolytes showed in administering them.

As for your personal abuse about my qualifications, when you tell me you have written five history books, eight scholarly articles and worked in a university history department as a lecturer for four years I'll accept that from you, and not one second before.

I don’t have quite in front of me but I do t think it did

I think it is poorly written but trying to say that you can argue that Harold was a brilliant and imaginative commander - against all the odds he did incredible things and his troops nearly managed to hold out

Wasn’t the Battle of Hastings was lost because Harold allowed his troops to leave a hugely advantageous positition at the top of a hill to chase what he mistakenly thought was a retreating Norman force?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Ain't life grand!

My money is on William to win, though hard to be sure in the world of fake news.

I reckon that those tapestry workers couldn't do needlework quickly enough to catch all of the action.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ain't life grand!

Not if you have to teach the thing and try to guess what schoolboy howler the Principal Examiner is going to make next.

Got up your nose, hasn't it. Understandably of course.

The curriculum, that is, not the wine. And you are, of course, right about me missing the wine!
  • Options

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

@Richard_Tyndall

Now I appreciate somebody whose knowledge of education and history comes from the work of liar, forger and pseudoscholar Dominic Cummings is going to be overloaded with myths.

But I think you will find if you check carefully that actually William won. That's why the entire fecking module is called 'The Norman Conquest of England 1066-1100.'

This is one of a huge number of errors I have been coming across, although it's the daftest. For example, claims about the importance of universities in Norman England (there weren't any, Oxford being a school at the time) or that the Duke of Suffolk wasn't murdered in 1450 (astonishingly, an error that wasn't overturned on both appeal and complaint). And these are at least partly due to the rushed way your hero brought in these reforms and the incompetence he and his acolytes showed in administering them.

As for your personal abuse about my qualifications, when you tell me you have written five history books, eight scholarly articles and worked in a university history department as a lecturer for four years I'll accept that from you, and not one second before.

I think it is poorly written but trying to say that you can argue that Harold was a brilliant and imaginative commander - against all the odds he did incredible things and his troops nearly managed to hold out

Wasn’t the Battle of Hastings was lost because Harold allowed his troops to leave a hugely advantageous positition at the top of a hill to chase what he mistakenly thought was a retreating Norman force?

It's not quite clear whether he allowed them to, or whether the inexperienced Home Counties fyrd just got carried away. Or indeed, how much of an influence that had on the outcome of the battle, although the prominence given to it by Norman chroniclers suggest it was considered important at the time (especially as they attribute the idea to William).
  • Options
    edited February 2019

ydoethur said:

Ain't life grand!

Got up your nose, hasn't it. Understandably of course.

The curriculum, that is, not the wine. And you are, of course, right about me missing the wine!
    You're damn right it has.

And I always find wine up the nose unpleasant. Much nicer to drink it through the ear holes.

(That last sentence was to demonstrate how most comments on exam reform by Gove and his apologists come across.)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Go Camel-ah!

What happened to the poster called Dromedary?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBhlQgvHmQ0
  • Options
    Sad though I am to leave; this site has quite cheered me up this morning, but my wife's morning coffee will not make itself, and then I have an appointment with a gymnasium.
  • Options

Sad though I am to leave; this site has quite cheered me up this morning, but my wife's morning coffee will not make itself, and then I have an appointment with a gymnasium.

Enjoy. I hope things work out for you :smile:
  • Options
    Interesting choice of guest for Amy. Shocking to die unable to afford insulin in a developed country.

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1092859626406653953?s=19
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    KLOBUCHAR KLAXON
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Dadge said:

viewcode said:

I see we are back on PB favourite subject.....duff wine obvs.

I can't do wine. Let's do best biscuits. First one to mention the best biscuit wins.

Pause.

HOB-NOBS!

I win... :)
    1. They're called Hobnobs. 2. If you mean chocolate Hobnobs you should say so.
    2. Milk Chocolate Hobnobs or Plain Chocolate Hobnobs?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

General Medical services in the docks. Bit like being a GP; you never know what you're going to see next.

The Ship's Surgeon address to the air wing on my Ark Royal cruise: I wouldn't stick my brolly in the places you chaps stick your cocks.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just wait until they start teaching Brexit for history GCSE. The PB Brexit tapestry being one of the few pieces of primary evidence surviving that turbulent period.

Question 1: Were the British mad or just the posters on PB?
    Question 2: Who was Theresa May and why is there no record of her elsewhere?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ain't life grand!

My money is on William to win, though hard to be sure in the world of fake news.

I reckon that those tapestry workers couldn't do needlework quickly enough to catch all of the action.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

@Richard_Tyndall

It said 'his army survived nearly the whole day to beat off William's attacks.'

Edit - I'm not making any comment either way on Harold's ability, just making the point that this sentence without qualification is simply wrong. What I think they meant to say was 'Harold's army maintained cohesion most off the day, beating off numerous attacks by the Normans, before breaking in the afternoon.' But that's not what it says.
    Surely, "survived nearly the whole day" must imply "but it did not survive the whole day"?

But yes, this person should be given some LEGO rather than words to work with.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Jonathan said:

Just wait until they start teaching Brexit for history GCSE. The PB Brexit tapestry being one of the few pieces of primary evidence surviving that turbulent period.

https://twitter.com/cliodiaspora/status/1092885392486031360
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You're too late, it's already part of the syllabus.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

@Richard_Tyndall

It said 'his army survived nearly the whole day to beat off William's attacks.'

Edit - I'm not making any comment either way on Harold's ability, just making the point that this sentence without qualification is simply wrong. What I think they meant to say was 'Harold's army maintained cohesion most off the day, beating off numerous attacks by the Normans, before breaking in the afternoon.' But that's not what it says.
    Surely, "survived nearly the whole day" must imply "but it did not survive the whole day"?

But yes, this person should be given some LEGO rather than words to work with.
    The real problem is it implies the Saxons beat off all the Norman attacks. It overlooks the fairly important point that they broke at the last one...

(In any case, they seem to have lasted about five or six hours, which is not really 'nearly the whole day.' It's a bit like saying 'almost everyone voted Leave.')
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Marvellous. Could someone take a sneak peek at the answer and tell us all what actually happens next?
  • Options
    Seems sorting out Brexit is only the second toughest job on the planet.

Hosting the Oscars get the award. No-one wants to do it. So this year - there is no host.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47139123
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Marvellous. Could someone take a sneak peek at the answer and tell us all what actually happens next?
    Sorry, don't know that. My part ends in 2016 with the referendum. I haven't time to do a running commentary on the rest!

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Hosting the Oscars get the award. No-one wants to do it. So this year - there is no host.

I believe Liam Neeson is free
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Its a tossup between two posturing loons, either a brexiteer or a remainer making some ludicrous comment.
  • Options
    Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

I am curious: who writes this stuff? Teachers? Interns? YOP scheme kids?
  • Options

Roger?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

Last week, we had the American gay conversion homophobe coming out as gay, this week, a Dutch Islamophobe coming out as a Muslim,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6669799/Far-right-Dutch-MP-branded-Islam-disease-announces-Muslim.html

Deep down, these Brexiters love the EU.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Harris is clearly going to win this. One hopes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm not sure I give a tiny floating scintilla of a fuckette, but I appreciate the need for the site to vary from Brexit, every so often.

Seat T doesn't care. How sad
    Mike, I wasn't being insulting, quite the opposite. I admire your ability (at an advanced age) to keep bettors interested in things OTHER than Brexit. It is part of the site's USP, and a great credit to you.

However, I do feel that Brexit overwhelms everything, right now, and that is how it should be. A neuralgic and internal British political argument, debated for 50 years, is reaching its grand finale. What;s more, whatever happens to Brexit has massive, important lessons for half a billion Euiropeans who might one day consider national independence, AND it has further lessons for other nations, across the globe, who might fancy their sovereign chances, head to head with elitist globalisation.

For once, a parochial focus on our own political debate is justified. Right now we ARE the centre of world attention. Will Brexit be a total catastrophe, will a great and ancient democracy continue to soil itself in public, or will, somehow, this country pull itself together and achieve a decent result and a new self respect? Or will the Queen be evacuated to the moon?

Compared to that, even the strangeness of America's new politics seems small beer, just right now.
    Yeah, but nothing happens on Brexit Groundhog Day. Same old arguments and delusional ideas, few betting opportunities.

In America, Populism is about to die, and that is newsworthy, because where America goes, we follow.
    Not that I'd characterise it as such but Brexit preceded Trump. There's a better argument to be made the other way round there.

Besides which I don't see the evidence that Populism is about to die in America. Not at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

I confess I don't know what being 'horribly corked' means for wine. What do they mess up while corking which ruins the taste?

It basically means the wine has gone off
    More specifically, that the cork has dried out, let some air in, which has started to oxidise the wine.

If ST has kept it for six months, it could easily be his fault, if he has kept it somewhere warm and standing up so the cork isn't kept moist.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

So how will she appeal to the rust belt and other parts of the US. Another West Coast liberal. Needs to pick her running mate carefully if she gets the nomination.
  • Options

Probably for the next decade or so.
  • Options

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm not sure I give a tiny floating scintilla of a fuckette, but I appreciate the need for the site to vary from Brexit, every so often.

Mike, I wasn't being insulting, quite the opposite. I admire your ability (at an advanced age) to keep bettors interested in things OTHER than Brexit. It is part of the site's USP, and a great credit to you.

However, I do feel that Brexit overwhelms everything, right now, and that is how it should be. A neuralgic and internal British political argument, debated for 50 years, is reaching its grand finale. What;s more, whatever happens to Brexit has massive, important lessons for half a billion Euiropeans who might one day consider national independence, AND it has further lessons for other nations, across the globe, who might fancy their sovereign chances, head to head with elitist globalisation.

For once, a parochial focus on our own political debate is justified. Right now we ARE the centre of world attention. Will Brexit be a total catastrophe, will a great and ancient democracy continue to soil itself in public, or will, somehow, this country pull itself together and achieve a decent result and a new self respect? Or will the Queen be evacuated to the moon?

Compared to that, even the strangeness of America's new politics seems small beer, just right now.
    Yeah, but nothing happens on Brexit Groundhog Day. Same old arguments and delusional ideas, few betting opportunities.

In America, Populism is about to die, and that is newsworthy, because where America goes, we follow.
    Not that I'd characterise it as such but Brexit preceded Trump. There's a better argument to be made the other way round there.

Besides which I don't see the evidence that Populism is about to die in America. Not at all.
    I agree, it is very possible that Brexit will kill populism in the UK, before Amy unseats Trump.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

KLOBUCHAR KLAXON

I can't back anyone whose name looks like her mother fell on a keyboard.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

I saw a GCSE Science course book that stated that polar bears hunt penguins.

No wonder the penguins have all fled to the other side of the planet!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,248
    Dura_Ace said:

General Medical services in the docks. Bit like being a GP; you never know what you're going to see next.

The Ship's Surgeon address to the air wing on my Ark Royal cruise: I wouldn't stick my brolly in the places you chaps stick your cocks.
    I assume they still show the pre-deployment sick dick video.
  • Options

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

Well, when you say other side of the planet...that's not strictly true. I have seen wild penguins in the northern hemisphere. By about 3 miles. Galapagos Penguins.
  • Options

Sadly, amongst the people pitchfork mob who matter, Liam Neeson has Done A Racism and will therefore be persona non grata forevermore.

Not only will he never present anything ever again, but I don't think they will be satisfied unless this ends his whole career.

And I'm not sure they'll even be satisfied then.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

I confess I don't know what being 'horribly corked' means for wine. What do they mess up while corking which ruins the taste?

More specifically, that the cork has dried out, let some air in, which has started to oxidise the wine.

If ST has kept it for six months, it could easily be his fault, if he has kept it somewhere warm and standing up so the cork isn't kept moist.
    Much more likely if he drank a £25 M&S Chateauneuf is that he committed infanticide and misidentified it as being corked.

Supermarkets sell wine far too young and I bet it was a 2015, a very closed vintage.

Corked wine is very rare. Much rarer than the supposed one in 12 urban myth.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I agree, it is very possible that Brexit will kill populism in the UK, before Amy unseats Trump.
    That's wishful thinking on your part.

If you're really interested in doing that then tackle the root causes.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

So how will she appeal to the rust belt and other parts of the US. Another West Coast liberal. Needs to pick her running mate carefully if she gets the nomination.
    Klobuchar is raising real issues of interest to blue collar Americans. Definitely worth a punt.

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1090953369332711426?s=19

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

Well, when you say other side of the planet...that's not strictly true. I have seen wild penguins in the northern hemisphere. By about 3 miles. Galapagos Penguins.
    Were they hiding from bears?
  • Options

Sadly, amongst the people pitchfork mob who matter, Liam Neeson has Done A Racism and will therefore be persona non grata forevermore.

Not only will he never present anything ever again, but I don't think they will be satisfied unless this ends his whole career.

It will give a segment of the Left good reason not to have to watch Schindler's List.....
  • Options

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

being chased by the Galapagos bears?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The first three of those are perfectly sensible. The only challenge would be siting the cameras as I suspect they'd be obvious targets for vandalism.

It won't happen because the Irish border is about power politics and not finding a solution in good faith.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

KLOBUCHAR KLAXON

You know that's not her first name, right? Her first name is Baemy.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That is why Brexit will fail. It will not address the root causes of discontent, indeed it will aggravate most of them.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Much more likely if he drank a £25 M&S Chateauneuf is that he committed infanticide and misidentified it as being corked.

Supermarkets sell wine far too young and I bet it was a 2015, a very closed vintage.

So the decision we have to make is whether ST can't keep wine properly or can't taste wine properly?
  • Options
    So Liam Fox is going the Minford route and looking to abolish all tariffs.

On the one hand they do indeed distort trade; while on the other hand destroying (mainly leaver?) manufacturing and agriculture is probably not what the burghers of Stoke were thinking.

Plus not a great augur for our free trade bargaining position.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    TOPPING said:

On the one hand they do indeed distort trade; while on the other hand destroying (mainly leaver?) manufacturing and agriculture is probably not what the burghers of Stoke were thinking.

Yep - someone really needs to ask Liam why every major country has a trade deal with South Korea. Hint - it's because their tariffs are so high you want one..
  • Options
    It's a big game of musical chairs. The first aim of some of these candidates is to get adequate name recognition to stay in to the point when the public start their proper scrutiny.

Conversely Kamala Harris has to spend the best part of a year walking on a tightrope between blandness and divisiveness. Not easy either.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Last week, we had the American gay conversion homophobe coming out as gay, this week, a Dutch Islamophobe coming out as a Muslim,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6669799/Far-right-Dutch-MP-branded-Islam-disease-announces-Muslim.html

Deep down, these Brexiters love the EU.
    That's true. Nigel Farage can't stay away from the EU Parliament.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

So the decision we have to make is whether ST can't keep wine properly or can't taste wine properly?
    He's just new to it. Like the Chinese putting sprite in their Lafite
  • Options
    edited February 2019

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

I think the Pinta Island Polar Bear has gone the same way as the Pinta Island Tortoise. But I did get to see Lonesome George before he departed this world - and took the species with him.
  • Options
    Klobuchar used to be a likely contender till about five minutes ago when I can't find her amongst my antepost bets.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

That is why Brexit will fail. It will not address the root causes of discontent, indeed it will aggravate most of them.
    It offers more direct control over migration by the UK Government and an end to EU federalisation. Those who advocate its reversal have nothing to say on either of those subjects other than to say they’ve proved their point.

They haven’t and, still more, still haven’t really understood or accepted its legitimacy in the first place so they can propose a credible solution.
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Yep - someone really needs to ask Liam why every major country has a trade deal with South Korea. Hint - it's because their tariffs are so high you want one..
    Liam Fox is a disgraced former General Practitioner. Asking him his views on business and trade is akin to asking a trade commissioner his/her views on how to treat your haemorrhoids, and whether they would inspect them for you .
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

KLOBUCHAR KLAXON

You know that's not her first name, right? Her first name is Baemy.
    I’m not sure that invalidates my point.
  • Options

It will give a segment of the Left good reason not to have to watch Schindler's List.....
    Clever.
  • Options

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Liam Fox is a disgraced former General Practitioner. Asking him his views on business and trade is akin to asking a trade commissioner his/her views on how to treat your haemorrhoids, and whether they would inspect them for you .
    Unless and until we call out politicians on their lack of knowledge in areas they claim to know things about or to be responsible for we will continue to be in this mess...

• Options
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

is both an acceptable answer..
  • Options
    Why has Beto O'Rourke suddenly shortened again on Betfair?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Unless and until we call out politicians on their lack of knowledge in areas they claim to know things about or to be responsible for we will continue to be in this mess...

Indeed. There is a certain segment of our political class that appeals to the populist agenda by saying "we have had enough of experts".
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It offers more direct control over migration by the UK Government and an end to EU federalisation. Those who advocate its reversal have nothing to say on either of those subjects other than to say they’ve proved their point.

They haven’t and, still more, still haven’t really understood or accepted its legitimacy in the first place so they can propose a credible solution.
    Brexit might indeed offer more control on migration but since no-one in government or the wider Establishment has expressed the slightest desire actually to reduce immigration, what's the point?
  • Options

Beto was on American telly yesterday talking to Oprah.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

Indeed. There is a certain segment of our political class that appeals to the populist agenda by saying "we have had enough of experts".
    But we also have a press that simply won't call people out as the idiots they are..
  • Options

Morning all,

On GCSE stuff.

I think the Pinta Island Polar Bear has gone the same way as the Pinta Island Tortoise. But I did get to see Lonesome George before he departed this world - and took the species with him.
    Picks Pinta won the last race at Newcastle last night sending my running-on treble the way of the tortoise and polar bear.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    If Corbyn wins the next General Election, doesn't that make him populist and therefore bad?

I only ask because I saw an article in the Guardian CiF discussing a statue to Mrs T in Grantham. It seems to me to be irrelevant (meh) but the assumption seems to be that it will be vandalised and it should be. Isn't that a populist reaction and bad?

Mind you, intolerance of a statue just seems barmy.

How do you define 'populist'? Does it have to be right-wing?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Seems like a deliberately obtuse interpretation of the proposal frankly, if it is even viable. People all over this issue are so unreasonable you wonder why they are against a hard border at all, since they seem keen to object to anything but the status quo, ensuring they must get that hard border. The situation is changing and things need to be monitored, I get the bad blood between our nation's but monitoring at a border is not inherently disgraceful.
  • Options

Beto was on American telly yesterday talking to Oprah.
    Thanks - he seems to have engendered a lot of enthusiasm with at least one bettor. He was last matched at 4.6.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    CD13 said:

If Corbyn wins the next General Election, doesn't that make him populist and therefore bad?

I only ask because I saw an article in the Guardian CiF discussing a statue to Mrs T in Grantham. It seems to me to be irrelevant (meh) but the assumption seems to be that it will be vandalised and it should be. Isn't that a populist reaction and bad?

Mind you, intolerance of a statue just seems barmy.

How do you define 'populist'? Does it have to be right-wing?

It's an irregular verb, simple as that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Klobuchar is raising real issues of interest to blue collar Americans. Definitely worth a punt.

Outrageous you need to pay for insulin.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

However, I do feel that Brexit overwhelms everything, right now, and that is how it should be. A neuralgic and internal British political argument, debated for 50 years, is reaching its grand finale. What;s more, whatever happens to Brexit has massive, important lessons for half a billi

Brexit might indeed offer more control on migration but since no-one in government or the wider Establishment has expressed the slightest desire actually to reduce immigration, what's the point?
    The powers will be there. It’s up to the electors to exercise their vote accordingly if they wish the Government to use them.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

There is a fundamental law.

If moderate politicians don't listen & fix things, then something worse comes along (see e.g., Italy).

That is why "populists" are growing in strength in Europe.
  • Options
    Mr Foremain,

As you use the word, populist, would you like to define it? Does someone winning an election have to be populist?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Good morning, everyone.

Outrageous you need to pay for insulin.
    no such thing as free drugs in the UK. you pay one way or another
  • Options
    Mr YBarddCwsc,

"That is why "populists" are growing in strength in Europe."

You're not going to catch me, I know you're just teasing.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Another unicorn from the Brexit Death Cult.

Obviously designed to sound good and dupe the plebs .
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Works for me too. I wish she could take over from Corbyn and we might soon have a Labour government.
  • Options
    Last week we had Germany's December retail sales:

-4.3% from November 2018
    -2.1% from December 2017

https://www.destatis.de/EN/PressServices/Press/pr/2019/01/PE19_035_45212.html

Today we get Germany's December manufacturing orders:

-1.6% from November 2018
    -7.0% from December 2017

https://www.destatis.de/EN/PressServices/Press/pr/2019/02/PE19_042_421.html

Now perhaps things get reversed in the new year but if they don't ...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    So is anything actually happening about Brexit at the moment (apart from Theresa May trying to be all things to be all men, which can probably be taken as read)?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922

Good morning, everyone.

Personally view, incumbents lose reelection bids, rather than challengers win them.

Bush W lost because the US economy had just gone through a painful recession, and he'd raised taxes.

Carter lost because the US economy had just gone through a painful recession, and there had been a series of embarassing military setbacks.

Ford lost because the Republican Party was still reeling from the departure of both the previous Presient and Vice-President

etc.

If Trump is sufficiently unpopular with independents, or if the US economy weakens (especially in the rust belt), then it may not matter who his opponent is. (See Carter.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Seems like a deliberately obtuse interpretation of the proposal frankly, if it is even viable. People all over this issue are so unreasonable you wonder why they are against a hard border at all, since they seem keen to object to anything but the status quo, ensuring they must get that hard border. The situation is changing and things need to be monitored, I get the bad blood between our nation's but monitoring at a border is not inherently disgraceful.
    "since they seem keen to object to anything but the status quo"

ie what Theresa May promised.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    CD13 said:

Mr YBarddCwsc,

"That is why "populists" are growing in strength in Europe."

You're not going to catch me, I know you're just teasing.

'Populists' support amoral policies which appeal to enough voters to get them elected whilst usually repulsing an equal number. Italy is a good example. Berlusconi was not what you call a populist whereas Salvini is though they are equally deplorable
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Good morning, everyone.

Personally view, incumbents lose reelection bids, rather than challengers win them.

Bush W lost because the US economy had just gone through a painful recession, and he'd raised taxes.

Carter lost because the US economy had just gone through a painful recession, and there had been a series of embarassing military setbacks.

Ford lost because the Republican Party was still reeling from the departure of both the previous Presient and Vice-President

etc.

If Trump is sufficiently unpopular with independents, or if the US economy weakens (especially in the rust belt), then it may not matter who his opponent is. (See Carter.)
    Have you seen Liam Fox's latest flag flying, Robert? Writing to each industry sector asking if an abolition of tariffs would harm them or not.

Ceramics on R4 this morning saying it would.

Minford Victorius are we really going there?
  • Options

Foxy said:

The powers will be there. It’s up to the electors to exercise their vote accordingly if they wish the Government to use them.
    The powers were already there but look at the figures for non-EU immigration since 2010 under Conservative-led governments and Home Secretary Theresa hostile environment May.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As for your personal abuse about my qualifications, when you tell me you have written five history books,

Five history books? Which ones? VM me if you want.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    The situation is actually even worse than that. As everyone knows, the UK and Switzerland announced an agreement to maintain a free trade agreement in a No Deal scenario. Unfortunately, the legal text of the proposed agreement still doesn't exist. The DfIT got the principle agreed, but hasn't actually done the hard work of getting an actual binding agreement drafted and signed.

It now looks next to impossible that this will be done by Brexit day.

Dr Liam Fox has been a disastrous cabinet minister. The history books will not be kind.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    The situation is actually even worse than that. As everyone knows, the UK and Switzerland signed an agreement to maintain a free trade agreement in a No Deal scenario. Unfortunately, the legal text of the proposed agreement still doesn't exist. The DfIT got the principle agreed, but hasn't actually done the hard work of getting an actual agreement drafted and signed.

It now looks next to impossible that this will be done by Brexit day.

Dr Liam Fox has been a disastrous cabinet minister. The history books will not be kind.
    If only someone had warned about appointing the disgraced national security risk Liam Fox to a key Brexit job.
This discussion has been closed.