Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The resilient PM ploughs on to March 29th and her running down

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Mr. Thompson, aye. The UK hasn't reneged on anything because the UK never backed the proposed deal in the Commons.

May, on the other hand, might have. But that's not the same thing.

But how many times has may said "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". So nothing is agreed until the House of Commons (and the Lords) sign up.

And that is, er, a little way off....
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

Tusk wasn't, I think 'getting at' May. He was, though getting at those like the ERG and DUP for whom nothing is acceptable, and who are unable to accept that in negotiations such as these 'half a loaf' is the best you are going to get.

The ERG and DUP voted to back the deal with one small change. A change that happens anyway if there's no deal.

It's clear who the hardliners are.
    One impracticable change, you mean.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, originally a Barnier phrase, of course.

Rather unfortunate timing for the UK to have such terrible leadership, although the EU have not exactly been playing things sensibly either.

Still think the failure to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty was the single most critical mistake. Anybody considering voting Leave but not sure will have known that a future referendum was very unlikely to be held, and this might well be the only opportunity.
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, aye. The UK hasn't reneged on anything because the UK never backed the proposed deal in the Commons.

May, on the other hand, might have. But that's not the same thing.

But how many times has may said "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed". So nothing is agreed until the House of Commons (and the Lords) sign up.

And that is, er, a little way off....
    It's not as if MPs kept their loathing of the backstop a secret either. Its not as if rejection came out of the blue.

There is no backstop if there is no deal so the EU give up nothing by giving up the backstop to save the deal. Except face.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mafia capo makes threats shock.

Tusks actions look part of a wider strategy to intimidate other countries who might think about leaving rather than Brexit. He's certainly not helping the Remain clause.

I would challenge you to find a remainer in the country who hasn't said far worse about the brexiteer brain trust than merely demanding eternal damnation in Yorkshire.
    Yorkshire is God's own county.

If you want damnation I suggest Lancashire, Lincolnshire, or Middlesbrough.
    Lancashire has some pretty bits. Lincolnshire has Lincoln, which is nice. But Middlesbrough is unrecoverable. It makes your heart cry. It's like the worse parts of Essex without the quick train to London.

Lincolnshire is the most under estimated and unvisited county in England. Much of it is pure heaven. Looks like most people plan to stay away and keep it that way. I visit as often as I can.

It does have Richard Tyndall there so make of that what you will. That said you are right, much of it is beautiful.
    But a county without a motorway. And most of the A-roads are death traps. Fast cars and slow moving agricultural machinery driven by the village idiot do not make happy bedfellows. I have twice been almost an ex-poster here thanks to crazy tractor manoeuvres.
    It's an agriculturally rich county what can you do?

And it's way off the A Roads you need to be in Lincolnshire, and without any sense of rush. It is huge with amazing variety, history, buildings and space. Lots of sky. Takes your mind off Brexit.

Ha! Should have noticed your user name!
    Well done. Not enough people know it. Or Snarford. Or Bicker. Or Wrangle. You can write poems from lists of Lincolnshire names.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    _Anazina_ said:

kinabalu said:

brendan16 said:

Tusk does look a bit like Liam Neeson as well. So if they need to replace Neeson in any films he has already shot perhaps they could use Donald as a body double?

Of course one of Neeson's most famous roles was playing Michael Collins - who won Ireland its freedom but in doing so made compromises which led to civil war and his ultimate death.

Caught a bit of Liam's interview yesterday in which he made it clear that revenge not race was the driver for his desire, back then, to kill a random black man.

If his friend's attacker had been Lithuanian, he stressed, he would have been motivated to seek out and terminate a Lithuanian man.

Fair enough.
    If his friend's attacker had been an Irishman, presumably he would have been motivated to seek out and terminate an Irishman?
    Yes and in fact his first question on being informed about the rape was to ask if the attacker was black. This was the part which concerned me. Overall I accept his explanation that he is ashamed of his actions and I'm sure there's something in the bilbe about the repentant sinner.
  • Options

Tusk wasn't, I think 'getting at' May. He was, though getting at those like the ERG and DUP for whom nothing is acceptable, and who are unable to accept that in negotiations such as these 'half a loaf' is the best you are going to get.

The ERG and DUP voted to back the deal with one small change. A change that happens anyway if there's no deal.

It's clear who the hardliners are.
    One impracticable change, you mean.
    It's entirely practicable. Kick the can down to the end of the transition and nothing changes immediately.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,209
    edited February 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

If his friend's attacker had been an Irishman, presumably he would have been motivated to seek out and terminate an Irishman?

Yes, and I think he did say that. In addition to Lithuanian he mentioned Scottish and Irish as other possible ethnic groupings, a member of which he would have happily dealt a grisly death to.

There was this Lithuanian, Scotsman and Irishman in a bar, when all of a sudden Liam Neeson barges in and ... BOOM!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    SeanT said:

The BBC's oddly sexy Laura K agrees that Tusk's outburst was planned; however she reckons it will probably backfire, by hardening sentiment, even amongst the softest Brexiteers - so it was badly misjudged

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47147258

Appears she might be right:

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1093154449709850625

Oh. You're back.
  • Options

RobD said:

Having finished a) an energetic gym session, b) an enjoyable, if short walk (since that's all I can manage at the moment and c) an excellent homemade soup and sandwich lunch I put on the TV for the ITV News and heard Donald Tusks's remarks, which, IMHO are entirely justified. The poor man, and his colleagues, are clearly totally fed up with British shilly-shallying.

The only coherent 'plan' is coherent is the right word, I have heard from Leavers is that of cutting all ties at one feel swoop and letting nature take its course thereafter.

Which is generally, or at least 86%, agreed will lead to short-term at least disaster and long term misery.

Are they? I don't recall people saying that there are places in hell for their political opponents in normal discourse.
    Political opponents in normal discourse are rarely as purely evil as brexit.
    I presume you are joking. Brexit is many things - reckless/foolish/misguided/stupid...... but calling it evil is pretty unhelpful and silly.
  • Options
    Mr. T, Back of the Queue 2: Backfire Harder.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Good afternoon, my fellow sinners.

We are all in the gutter, but Leavers are looking at the gutter.
    Alastair, just stop. Go home. Have a cup of tea. Your stream of tweets over the last two or three days have just been embarrassing and mortifying - for you. Last night you literally called yourself "one of society's dynamos". Today you are gleefully loathing millions of your fellow citizens, apparently because they are poorer than you.

This is just sad. You are clearly a decent chap, but maybe experiencing some turmoil? Stop it now. Take a break. Come back refreshed.

If I was spitting out comments like yours, I would hope a kindly PB-er would take me aside, and give me the same advice.
    "If I was spitting out comments like yours..."

Do you genuinely erase from your memory all those time you have been, shall we say, less than temperate?

Never mind 'offer you advice', kindly PB-ers know to steer well clear. Alastair is a paragon of moderation in comparison.
    More to the point, in a Tusk like piece of undiplomacy, you have alienated every PB pedant.

'If I were...'
    Don't be too harsh on him - he normally has an editor to sort such thing out. :wink:
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The BBC's oddly sexy Laura K agrees that Tusk's outburst was planned; however she reckons it will probably backfire, by hardening sentiment, even amongst the softest Brexiteers - so it was badly misjudged

I think Boles' constituency chairman might have gained access to his Twitter account!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TBH, I agree. The Express, Mail and Telegraph will be incandescent tomorrow.

You cannot hope to bribe or twist
    Thank God, the British Journalist
    But when you see what he will do
    Unbribed
    There's no occasion to!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Well done. Not enough people know it. Or Snarford. Or Bicker. Or Wrangle. You can write poems from lists of Lincolnshire names.

I once had a dream that I rode on a train
    From Mareham-le-Fen up to Kirby on Bain,
    Then Tunby and Coningsby, not very far,
    To Tattershall, Kirkstead and then Woodhall Spa.
    As Martin and Timberland slowly went by
    The train chuffed contentedly, happy was I.

But, all of a sudden, it gathered up steam
    And seemed to go mad as it ruined my dream.
    From Braceby and Laceby to Wood Enderby,
    Then Humby and Mumby and Sutton-on-Sea.
    From Aby to Swaby and straight up to Louth,
    Next Old Leake and New Leake and Kime [North and South].
    And so the train rushed through the Lincolnshire names,
    Goodbye Market Deeping and Deeping St James.
    Hello Potterhanworth and Thornton-le-Moor
    And Tattershall Thorpe - have we been here before?
    Oh look, there's Old Bolingbroke, can we alight?
    No, Holton-cum-Beckering's there on the right.
    Grimsthorpe and Cowbit and Gedney Drove end,
    The train lurched past Markby and stalled on a bend.

And I tumbled out as the train steamed and hissed,
    And with a faint sigh just dissolved in the mist.

Jill Rundle
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    Theological invective was generally better in the sixteenth century than it is today.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Except his caveat can't be guaranteed.

Unilaterally we can leave or remain. But a deal depends upon everyone agreeing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

New PB rule.

No one ever mention Andrea Jenkyns again on PB.

I'd rather repress that I helped her gain her seat, although it was mostly down to David Herdson's brilliance.

Could have been worse, you could have been helping get Louise Bagshawe elected in Corby, knocking up doors with a guy who’d be in prison a few months later for gun running...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The Tusk comment, however justified, was deeply unfortunate.

It offers No Deal Brexiteers encouragement - and assistance in shifting the blame for its consequences onto the unreasonable EU.

My feeling is that the Europeans are genuinely bored of Brexshit as they call it. Mr Tusk will lose no friends in Europe from his comments.

I genuinely cant see the UK surviving a hard Brexit for long and neither can the EC. Many of them prefer to watch us burn and then negotiate the truce. Ms May will no longer be there by then. The biggest impact will be pure confusion and a large drop in the £. The raft of questions will overwhelm the government and lead to paralysis. VONC and then ?

• Options

algarkirk said:

Jill Rundle
    excellent
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    Maybe the point of the Tusk tweet was to make Leaver MPs go "Right, we'll go vote for the deal then and show you we do have a plan!"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Nigelb said:

It offers No Deal Brexiteers encouragement - and assistance in shifting the blame for its consequences onto the unreasonable EU.

My feeling is that the Europeans are genuinely bored of Brexshit as they call it. Mr Tusk will lose no friends in Europe from his comments.

I genuinely cant see the UK surviving a hard Brexit for long and neither can the EC. Many of them prefer to watch us burn and then negotiate the truce. Ms May will no longer be there by then. The biggest impact will be pure confusion and a large drop in the £. The raft of questions will overwhelm the government and lead to paralysis. VONC and then ?

Are they really childish enough to call it Brexshit over there?
  • Options
    felix said:

RobD said:

Having finished a) an energetic gym session, b) an enjoyable, if short walk (since that's all I can manage at the moment and c) an excellent homemade soup and sandwich lunch I put on the TV for the ITV News and heard Donald Tusks's remarks, which, IMHO are entirely justified. The poor man, and his colleagues, are clearly totally fed up with British shilly-shallying.

The only coherent 'plan' is coherent is the right word, I have heard from Leavers is that of cutting all ties at one feel swoop and letting nature take its course thereafter.

Which is generally, or at least 86%, agreed will lead to short-term at least disaster and long term misery.

Are they? I don't recall people saying that there are places in hell for their political opponents in normal discourse.
    Political opponents in normal discourse are rarely as purely evil as brexit.
    I presume you are joking. Brexit is many things - reckless/foolish/misguided/stupid...... but calling it evil is pretty unhelpful and silly.
    Tusk brought hell into it. When did reckless/foolish/misguided/stupid people go to hell, especially the "special places" in it?

We're being told that Tusk is "absolutely right" by people here who clearly agree with him that Brexit is evil.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Maybe the point of the Tusk tweet was to make Leaver MPs go "Right, we'll go vote for the deal then and show you we do have a plan!"

LOL! Very good.

You are right. That would teach those Eurocrats a lesson that we're not taking any nonsense from Jonny foreigner.
  • Options

Agreed - However, it was an ill judged attack on the ERG at just the time diplomacy is needed. TM is correct to call Tusk out as it will inflame many, even moderates, and it does show a lack of any form of skill in a crisis of incalculable consequences
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    edited February 2019
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Mafia capo makes threats shock.

Tusks actions look part of a wider strategy to intimidate other countries who might think about leaving rather than Brexit. He's certainly not helping the Remain clause.

I would challenge you to find a remainer in the country who hasn't said far worse about the brexiteer brain trust than merely demanding eternal damnation in Yorkshire.
    Yorkshire is God's own county.

If you want damnation I suggest Lancashire, Lincolnshire, or Middlesbrough.
    Lancashire has some pretty bits. Lincolnshire has Lincoln, which is nice. But Middlesbrough is unrecoverable. It makes your heart cry. It's like the worse parts of Essex without the quick train to London.

Lincolnshire is the most under estimated and unvisited county in England. Much of it is pure heaven. Looks like most people plan to stay away and keep it that way. I visit as often as I can.

It does have Richard Tyndall there so make of that what you will. That said you are right, much of it is beautiful.
    But a county without a motorway. And most of the A-roads are death traps. Fast cars and slow moving agricultural machinery driven by the village idiot do not make happy bedfellows. I have twice been almost an ex-poster here thanks to crazy tractor manoeuvres.
    It's an agriculturally rich county what can you do?

And it's way off the A Roads you need to be in Lincolnshire, and without any sense of rush. It is huge with amazing variety, history, buildings and space. Lots of sky. Takes your mind off Brexit.

Ha! Should have noticed your user name!

I drive across lincolnshire to visit my mum in norfolk and I've decided if ever I were to write a novel the characters would be taken from the roadsigns I see on the way. eg Sir Quadring Eaudike.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I can not foresee a truce being sought any time soon. If the UK is going to fold it will be before we wait. Once we are out it will both be too late and MPs will have chosen to go for it. It will take something dramatic to enforce a u-turn.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    GIN1138 said:

Has Arlene opined about the fate of "sinners" yet? :D

Lord William Mcrea has:-

"I saw Tusk rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy."
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    SeanT said:

The BBC's oddly sexy Laura K

I used to sit next to her (now) husband in Maths. I don't recall him being a great Adonis, but then the word "Adonis" has been rather devalued in recent years.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Tusk is right, though, however tactless he may have been in spelling it out.

It is embarrassing watching May turn up to "negotiate" something she agreed to a few weeks ago when any likely result of such "negotiations" will be another defeat in Parliament.

The Leavers have had no realistic or realisable plan.

I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, if they had a plan.

But they don't. And are now blaming everyone else for their own failure.

That I cannot forgive.

The result will almost certainly be a disastrously chaotic exit with who knows what economic, political and social consequences, long-term damage to Britain's reputation as a stable, competent polity, harm to other European countries, a Corbyn government and the likely destruction of the Tory party (which is a shame for those decent Tories - both MPs and voters - out there, if not for anyone else).

And all this despite having two options which would help us climb out of this mess - revocation of Article 50 or a further referendum to decide what we want to do now, in light of the facts as they are now, in the real world, not what people thought prior to 23 June 2016, let alone the facts inside some peoples' heads.

When you're drowning in an icy lake you take the stick proffered to you, no matter how covered in shit it may be.

Rubbish. Leavers did have a realistic and reasonable plan but May decided that being a xenophobe was more important than anything else in the negotiations. So the sensible plans were ignored and we had the ridiculous mess that May has driven us in to.

And your two 'options' are both code for Remain, however much you might delude yourself about it.
    Rubbish back at you, Richard.
    A minority of leavers had a realistic plan. They have never been in the driving seat.
    So your claim that the Leavers had no realistic plan is indeed rubbish. Qualifying that by saying they should be discounted because they were not able to put it into practice because the whole thing has been run by a xenophobic Remainer is certainly not a reasonable retort. So again you are talking rubbish.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Alastair, just stop. Go home. Have a cup of tea. Your stream of tweets over the last two or three days have just been embarrassing and mortifying - for you. Last night you literally called yourself "one of society's dynamos". Today you are gleefully loathing millions of your fellow citizens, apparently because they are poorer than you.

This is just sad. You are clearly a decent chap, but maybe experiencing some turmoil? Stop it now. Take a break. Come back refreshed.

If I was spitting out comments like yours, I would hope a kindly PB-er would take me aside, and give me the same advice.

Do you genuinely erase from your memory all those time you have been, shall we say, less than temperate?

Never mind 'offer you advice', kindly PB-ers know to steer well clear. Alastair is a paragon of moderation in comparison.
    More to the point, in a Tusk like piece of undiplomacy, you have alienated every PB pedant.

'If I were...'
    Don't be too harsh on him - he normally has an editor to sort such thing out. :wink:
    To this day I still get "affect" and "effect" mixed up. Quite often. There should be a long German term to describe grammatical/linguistic errors that stay with you over life, despite your best efforts.

The blurring of was/were is more forgivable, I think. "Were", though theoretically correcter and righter, sometimes sounds too posh in everyday dialogue with people of less-than-standout intelligence, e.g. *Topping* of PB.
    I could care less... (sic)

But 'was' represented obvious trolling of the resident pedants.
    :smile:

...arguably.

As for affect/effect, remembering 'effective' is an effective remedy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

'If I were...'
    To this day I still get "affect" and "effect" mixed up. Quite often. There should be a long German term to describe grammatical/linguistic errors that stay with you over life, despite your best efforts.

The blurring of was/were is more forgivable, I think. "Were", though theoretically correcter and righter, sometimes sounds too posh in everyday dialogue with people of less-than-standout intelligence, e.g. *Topping* of PB.
    Truly, the Thornberry of PB.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Jill Rundle
    excellent
    John Treherne's book 'Dangerous Precincts' on the (true) mystery of the Archdeacon Wakeford case, begins with a train journey a bit like that.

• Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    All this praise for Lincolnshire feels like I've stumbled into a parallel universe.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Macron and France, it is worth noting that France and Spain are the only EU countries showing any positive economic momentum right now. Both showed strong upticks in their January PMIs, both showed pretty decent and accelerating Q4 GDP growth. (It seems to be forgotten on here that France matched the Uk at 0.6% in the last quarter of last year, and Spain managed 0.7%.)

France from a very low base though, composite PMI of 48.2 vs a preliminary reading of 47.9, it's still shockingly bad.

On Germany, the worrying part is that their economy seems to be slowing down even as industry has been stockpiling due to various factors (brexit, trade instability are the primary ones). That should have added 0.2-0.3% to Q4 growth but it seems as though there was a recession in Q3/4 despite the inventory build up.
    A German recession is the inevitable consequence of having an economy with the opposite problem to ours.

They are utterly dependent on external demand, at a time when demand for capital goods out of China is being hammered. Mrs Merkel bringing austerity to the table again will only make things worse.

With their economy slipping into recession, but the government running a surplus, and savings rates being near all time highs, all they have to do is replace lost overseas demand with domestic demand.

So, increase government spending 5-6% (and, heck, make some of that on the military). And implement policies that encourage consumer spending, rather than sticking with ones that deliberately suppress it.

Do those things together, and Germany can easily ride out the recession. Really, getting 2% GDP growth shouldn't be complicated for them given their fiscal position. But of course, she will instead make things worse.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

GIN1138 said:

Has Arlene opined about the fate of "sinners" yet? :D

Just to say that the No Dealers will be moving in next door to the Papists.
    Surely Tusk is a Papist himself?
  • Options
    Mr. T, were/was is the difference between subjunctive (with an element of doubt 'If I were...') and indicative.

I've found that I get homophones confused sometimes, which lead to significant typos. Know I've mentioned this before, but getting caught/got confused was pretty large as errors go.

I still don't know what I meant to write by "That little western..." I'm pretty sure 'western' was similar in sound to something meant as an insult, but can't think what it could've been.

Currently proofreading. Which is pretty tiresome. Although proofreading comedy is worse, because by the time you do it all the jokes have been read a dozen times so hardly any of them seem funny.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Driving north from South East London via the M11, A14 and A1, the Lincolnshire section is probably the bleakest and most unlovely part of the journey. But it does have my favourite roadsign of the entire drive, indicating the turnoff for the Honeypot Lane Industrial Estate. I can't quite articulate why, but seeing this sign always makes my day.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

All this praise for Lincolnshire feels like I've stumbled into a parallel universe.

That's because you have.

• Options
    Mr. WC, William Marshal won a mighty battle for England against the French in Lincoln. Huzzah!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I agree with all the praise for Lincoln and its shire, the countryside is often surprisingly lovely and unboring, the city is a little gem, and the walk up to and inside the cathedral on a cold winter twilit, with the drizzle softly falling on wet lamplit cobbles, is one of the most sublime urban/architectural experiences in the world.

The one way system is a pig though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean's so intelligent that he voted Leave because he thought Remain were going to win, so he could feel better about himself.

Reminded me of Ma Beckett nominating Corbyn.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

'If I were...'

I could care less... (sic)

But 'was' represented obvious trolling of the resident pedants.
    :smile:

...arguably.

Ta. I'll try. But I doubt it will have an.... effect?

Can't remember if we discussed this on PB, but on Twitter the other day I learned that the phrase "you've got another thing coming" is actually and rightly "you've got another think coming". I had no idea: for some reason, since I was a kid, I have always read the idiom and understood it as "thing" (even though it makes no sense that way, on analysis).

Huh, today I learnt.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

People are want to get obsessed with 'correct' English for wont of anything better to do.
  • Options
    JonWC said:

Bloody bizarre, Lincolnshire is the armpit of the UK.

Mind you PB is frequented by people who think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Driving north from South East London via the M11, A14 and A1, the Lincolnshire section is probably the bleakest and most unlovely part of the journey. But it does have my favourite roadsign of the entire drive, indicating the turnoff for the Honeypot Lane Industrial Estate. I can't quite articulate why, but seeing this sign always makes my day.
    while staying in the area we decided to have a day trip into Grantham. It looked so awful we never even parked. went to Stamford instead which was a pleasant little place.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Count yourself lucky. The A47 from Peterborough to Kings Lynn defines the phrase unremittingly bleak.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    OFF thread but you couldn't make it up...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47144891
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

JonWC said:

Mind you PB is frequented by people who think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza.
    Pudding and main course in one course - what isn't there to like....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Macron and France, it is worth noting that France and Spain are the only EU countries showing any positive economic momentum right now. Both showed strong upticks in their January PMIs, both showed pretty decent and accelerating Q4 GDP growth. (It seems to be forgotten on here that France matched the Uk at 0.6% in the last quarter of last year, and Spain managed 0.7%.)

France from a very low base though, composite PMI of 48.2 vs a preliminary reading of 47.9, it's still shockingly bad.

On Germany, the worrying part is that their economy seems to be slowing down even as industry has been stockpiling due to various factors (brexit, trade instability are the primary ones). That should have added 0.2-0.3% to Q4 growth but it seems as though there was a recession in Q3/4 despite the inventory build up.
    A German recession is the inevitable consequence of having an economy with the opposite problem to ours.

They are utterly dependent on external demand, at a time when demand for capital goods out of China is being hammered. Mrs Merkel bringing austerity to the table again will only make things worse.

With their economy slipping into recession, but the government running a surplus, and savings rates being near all time highs, all they have to do is replace lost overseas demand with domestic demand.

So, increase government spending 5-6% (and, heck, make some of that on the military). And implement policies that encourage consumer spending, rather than sticking with ones that deliberately suppress it.

Do those things together, and Germany can easily ride out the recession. Really, getting 2% GDP growth shouldn't be complicated for them given their fiscal position. But of course, she will instead make things worse.
    Indeed. The main economic problem in Europe is Germany running excessive surpluses, not the Greeks running deficits.
  • Options

JonWC said:

There are dozens of us!
  • Options

Mr. WC, William Marshal won a mighty battle for England against the French in Lincoln. Huzzah!

You say William Marshal, I say Guillaume le Maréchal, let's call the whole thing off.
  • Options
    Mr. T, that's an entirely less wholesome interpretation of differential front end grip.
  • Options
    Never been to Lincolnshire but my gt-gt-grandmother, came from a village there which has since been absorbed into Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Sean's so intelligent that he voted Leave because he thought Remain were going to win, so he could feel better about himself.

Not only that, if you recall that day: I was exit-polled by secret students, hired by brilliant City bankers such as yourself, so they would know the result beforehand, hence the heavy insider betting on Remain right up to the moment Leave won.

You guys literally exit-polled affluent middle aged voters in Primrose Hill borders, to see how the referendum was panning out across Britain.

I mean, I know I have a well-earned reputation as a seer and bellwether, but.... lol
    We hired a reputable pollster, although it wasn’t an exit poll.
  • Options

I can not foresee a truce being sought any time soon. If the UK is going to fold it will be before we wait. Once we are out it will both be too late and MPs will have chosen to go for it. It will take something dramatic to enforce a u-turn.

The EU have the advantage (in addition to all the other advantages they have) of a better clock. They do not have to decide whether to fold until after we have decided whether we are going to fold. We get first dibs on folding. It will thus take nerves of steel not to. Do we have nerves of steel? Are we, Britain, made of the Right Stuff?

Pose this question in pubs and clubs all around the nation and (if sufficient drinks have been consumed) there will be but one resounding response -

DAMN RIGHT WE ARE!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Was there ever a definitive list of those PBers who paid £3 so they could vote for Jezza to kill the Labour party stone dead?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah she will start banging the austerity drum, it's in her nature. It is going to be another case of paradox of thrift.
  • Options

OFF thread but you couldn't make it up...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47144891

I was wondering where Barry had got to.....
  • Options

algarkirk said:

while staying in the area we decided to have a day trip into Grantham. It looked so awful we never even parked. went to Stamford instead which was a pleasant little place.
    If you want trousers with an elasticated waistband, Grantham's your place.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Tusk is right, though, however tactless he may have been in spelling it out.

It is embarrassing watching May turn up to "negotiate" something she agreed to a few weeks ago when any likely result of such "negotiations" will be another defeat in Parliament.

The Leavers have had no realistic or realisable plan.

I was prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt, if they had a plan.

But they don't. And are now blaming everyone else for their own failure.

That I cannot forgive.

The result will almost certainly be a disastrously chaotic exit with who knows what economic, political and social consequences, long-term damage to Britain's reputation as a stable, competent polity, harm to other European countries, a Corbyn government and the likely destruction of the Tory party (which is a shame for those decent Tories - both MPs and voters - out there, if not for anyone else).

And all this despite having two options which would help us climb out of this mess - revocation of Article 50 or a further referendum to decide what we want to do now, in light of the facts as they are now, in the real world, not what people thought prior to 23 June 2016, let alone the facts inside some peoples' heads.

When you're drowning in an icy lake you take the stick proffered to you, no matter how covered in shit it may be.

Rubbish. Leavers did have a realistic and reasonable plan but May decided that being a xenophobe was more important than anything else in the negotiations. So the sensible plans were ignored and we had the ridiculous mess that May has driven us in to.

And your two 'options' are both code for Remain, however much you might delude yourself about it.
    Rubbish back at you, Richard.
    A minority of leavers had a realistic plan. They have never been in the driving seat.
    So your claim that the Leavers had no realistic plan is indeed rubbish. Qualifying that by saying they should be discounted because they were not able to put it into practice because the whole thing has been run by a xenophobic Remainer is certainly not a reasonable retort. So again you are talking rubbish.
    DExEU published their detailed plan for a ‘Canada’-type deal with the EU, after they had been overruled by Olly Robbins and the PM instead went with the ‘Chequers’ plan, leading to the resignation of David Davis.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2018/07/exclusive-the-alternative-brexit-white-paper-a-draft-from-dexeu-1-mutual-recognition-not-ongoing-harmonisation.html
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Was there ever a definitive list of those PBers who paid £3 so they could vote for Jezza to kill the Labour party stone dead?
    Agent COB went a bit off the rails, but his handler assures us he’s back under control. ;)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

Count yourself lucky. The A47 from Peterborough to Kings Lynn defines the phrase unremittingly bleak.
    There is a particularly bleak downmarket sex shop in a disused petrol station somewhere between Thorney and Wisbech.

Lincs is very patchy. There is the magnificent Gainsborough Old Hall in this town for example. I can vouch for the accuracy of the description!

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/gainsborough.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

I think you have to get well off the (admittedly quite desolate) main roads in Lincolnshire. There are some beautiful corners, lovely villages, rambling castles .... and super-spooky towers.

e.g. this place, which featured in a Tom Knox thriller, is one of the only places I have been where I have ever wondered about the possible presence of ghosts, or some kind of horrible supernatural menace. There are literally bones in the brickwork, and weird medieval apotropaic graffiti (marks to ward off evil) all over the walls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Bruer_Preceptory

It didn't help that the cold dank grey winter day I was there, as I was exploring, in the dying light, I heard the most fiendish inhuman wailing outside: it literally made my flesh creep and my heart race. When I shiveringly opened the door, I saw that they were exercising the local pack of foxhounds. The howl they make, if you don't know what is making it, is quite horrifying.
    Bloodhounds, dolt.
  • Options
    No Deal it is then.

And on your head be it, Juncker......
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    SunnyJim said:

I'm starting to believe that a GE is May's 'best' route through this impasse...

She can't revoke - political suicide.

A50 extensions serve little purpose other than as a staging post to R2 or revoke - political suicide.

Ref2 - political suicide.

No Deal - political suicide.

It leaves her with a GE as the only 'out' following the next rejection of her deal.

Can't argue with any of that.

The only snag is:

GE - political suicide.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Too many people read too much into one days mass hysteria over what Tusk said.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

I think you have to get well off the (admittedly quite desolate) main roads in Lincolnshire. There are some beautiful corners, lovely villages, rambling castles .... and super-spooky towers.

e.g. this place, which featured in a Tom Knox thriller, is one of the only places I have been where I have ever wondered about the possible presence of ghosts, or some kind of horrible supernatural menace. There are literally bones in the brickwork, and weird medieval apotropaic graffiti (marks to ward off evil) all over the walls.

It didn't help that the cold dank grey winter day I was there, as I was exploring, in the dying light, I heard the most fiendish inhuman wailing outside: it literally made my flesh creep and my heart race. When I shiveringly opened the door, I saw that they were exercising the local pack of foxhounds. The howl they make, if you don't know what is making it, is quite horrifying.
    Looks great. surprised it's not signposted from the A17.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    SeanT said:

Mr. T, were/was is the difference between subjunctive (with an element of doubt 'If I were...') and indicative.

I've found that I get homophones confused sometimes, which lead to significant typos. Know I've mentioned this before, but getting caught/got confused was pretty large as errors go.

I still don't know what I meant to write by "That little western..." I'm pretty sure 'western' was similar in sound to something meant as an insult, but can't think what it could've been.

Currently proofreading. Which is pretty tiresome. Although proofreading comedy is worse, because by the time you do it all the jokes have been read a dozen times so hardly any of them seem funny.

Eeeek. Tell me about it. I'm just finishing my new Tremayne thriller and I am down to the last tiresome polish (which is probably why I am lurking so much on here). Then comes the copy edit and the proof edit, yuk, like eating your own puke, as someone once said. And then at the end you almost inevitably produce a book which doesn't live up to your expectations, and publication induces a significant depression...
    If you were to produce a book which fully lived up to your expectations, you might quit writing altogether, though, and spend the rest of your days surfing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Tusk's comments, together with several other calculated EU insults over the last two weeks, have edged me towards supporting No Deal.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

He has form on this...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    I suspect this is going to go down as well as Tusk’s comments

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1093169551288741888
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

algarkirk said:

If you want trousers with an elasticated waistband, Grantham's your place.
    I haven't reached that stage yet. Hopefully never will until I'm too doolally to care.
  • Options
    Chris said:

SunnyJim said:

I'm starting to believe that a GE is May's 'best' route through this impasse...

She can't revoke - political suicide.

A50 extensions serve little purpose other than as a staging post to R2 or revoke - political suicide.

Ref2 - political suicide.

No Deal - political suicide.

It leaves her with a GE as the only 'out' following the next rejection of her deal.

Can't argue with any of that.

The only snag is:

GE - political suicide.
    But it might solve the impasse.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Tusk's comments, together with several other calculated EU insults over the last two weeks, have edged me towards supporting No Deal.
    What do you find objectionable in what he said?
  • Options

No Deal it is then.

Do not rule out the possibility that British voters blame the government. That is what usually happens.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065

nico67 said:

Into the camp of people sabotaging Brexit?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.

(I still actually want a deal but am resigned to it not happening)
  • Options

No Deal it is then.

However many times you keep repeating it doesn't mean the H/C will do it.
  • Options
    So, any guesses as to what 2019’s version of the “Up Yours, Delors!” headline is going to be tomorrow?
  • Options

No Deal it is then.

Can you not see that the man is about to prostrate himself before Theresa May and beg to be allowed to renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement? The signs are all there.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There is a particularly bleak downmarket sex shop in a disused petrol station somewhere between Thorney and Wisbech.

It's not much from the outside, that is true.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

The local hunt keeps its foxhounds about half a mile away, over the hill. Not normally heard until there is some north in the wind. But on those days then, yes, even if you know what is making it, is still a sound that triggers primeval fears.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

Bloodhounds, dolt.
    Are you OK? You seem quite irritable and dyspeptic, old man. In the spirit of kindness that I showed to Alastair you should know that irritability is a significant early symptom of Alzheimers. And it's not like you lack the other symptoms, either.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/first-symptoms-of-alzheimers-may-be-depression-irritability-011415#1
    They were not foxhounds, they were bloodhounds. Why I waste my time trying to educate you goodness only knows.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So, any guesses as to what 2019’s version of the “Up Yours, Delors!” headline is going to be tomorrow?

"Please don't be so Brusque, Mr Tusk"?
  • Options
    felix said:

No Deal it is then.

However many times you keep repeating it doesn't mean the H/C will do it.
    What else are they going to rally around? However many times it goes back to the H/C, they don't find one.....
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    I'm puzzled that people are still promoting a People's Vote; I would imagine the EU have secured defeat for Remain over the last week. It will be interesting to see what impact Tusk's comments (and the ensuing media fest) will have on support for 'No deal' in the polls.
  • Options

No Deal it is then.

Can we have a referendum on the mainland on Irish re-unification please. I'd happily vote (and probably campaign) to tell Arlene and her horrible lot they're not wanted here.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Snowflake.

It’s all a master strategy.

After a few weeks of No Deal we’ll be begging to rejoin the EU, single currency and Schengen etc.

Tusk is right, the voters were promised one thing and were given another.

We all know how that ends, cf the Lib Dems and tuition fees.
  • Options

No Deal it is then.

Do not rule out the possibility that British voters blame the government. That is what usually happens.
    They will blame the Overlord Government. The one in Brussels.

Less painful than blaming the one they voted for...
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I'm puzzled that people are still promoting a People's Vote; I would imagine the EU have secured defeat for Remain over the last week. It will be interesting to see what impact Tusk's comments (and the ensuing media fest) will have on support for 'No deal' in the polls.
    It's all pivoting towards TMay's deal.
  • Options
    Monsieur le Divvie, sacre bleu!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

Bloodhounds, dolt.
    Are you OK? You seem quite irritable and dyspeptic, old man. In the spirit of kindness that I showed to Alastair you should know that irritability is a significant early symptom of Alzheimers. And it's not like you lack the other symptoms, either.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/first-symptoms-of-alzheimers-may-be-depression-irritability-011415#1
    You're not happy, are you Mr T? Find a better bottle of wine and cheer yourself up.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

JonWC said:

I have wondered if there is any part of the UK you approve of, but fortunately am not easily offended.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Donald Tusk = Spot on!

Brexiteers = Xenophobes / little Englanders / thickos (all three cohorts share one thing - no plan worth the paper it's written on).

"Nothing has changed" - we are still heading for a calamitous Tory hard Brexit. Strap yourselves in suckers!
  • Options

You say William Marshal, I say Guillaume le Maréchal, let's call the whole thing off.
    So how is Marshal Wade said in Scotland?

Maréchal Wade?
  • Options
    Tusk's comments today reveal the EU's insufferable arrogance, he even thinks he decides who goes to hell now. I suspect that quietly there will be many people of faith who find it revolting that he should such language about politicians he disagrees with.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

algarkirk said:

Looks great. surprised it's not signposted from the A17.
    It is fabulous. Go on the nastiest, coldest, drizzliest day of winter. And get yourself properly spooked.
    can't see my wife being up for that but I may have to detour on a solo trip back from mum's, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.