Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tusk Tweets that suggest TMay is facing an uphill task

Comments

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's not ridiculous at all to see the Tories as more outward facing than Labour. Should the EU be, or become, more of a social union then the roles change. Almost by definition Tories are likely to be less xenophobic than Labour supporters. I agree this flies in the face of the available facts.

We are talking about being in favour of Britain's continuing membership of the EU. That has nothing to do with being outward or inward looking.
    An excellent point and very well made.
    Spoiled only by the fact that the referendum was won by pandering to xenophobia.
    The referendum was won because an intransigent EU forcing us into ever closer union and diminishing national sovereignty year by year by stealth
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

There was nothing on the ballot paper about the Customs Union.

Plenty of things were said by a variety of inept clowns during the referendum campaign.

Only a credulous quarterwit would afford the outpourings of politicians any credence.

There was something on the manifesto about leaving the Customs Union.
    Which failed to gain a majority in parliament. QED.
    Actually it did. Tories gained a majority in Great Britain and the DUP with the same pledge gained a majority in Northern Ireland. Therefore a majority in Parliament. QED.
  • Options

You need to see the BBC series on Europe currently running, and then think again about 'dunces'. These people are bright. So is Cameron. But he got Europe wrong, and that's what he'll be remembered for.

Fascinating programme but my overwhelming impression is exactly the opposite of yours - How dumb are these people! (on all sides of the arguments).

They live by strict legalistic interpretations of rules with absolutely no initiative or foresight. When things go wrong the retreat into a bunker like mentality and are incapable of lateral thinking. And this is not limited at all to the EU and the leaders of the continental countries. The same applies to most of our politicians in Parliament as well - again on both sides of the argument.

Europe as a whole is very poorly served by its modern political classes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

You need to see the BBC series on Europe currently running, and then think again about 'dunces'. These people are bright. So is Cameron. But he got Europe wrong, and that's what he'll be remembered for.

If they were bright then how did they miss all of these gigantic issues, I mean not only miss them but exacerbate them in a few cases. Honestly, I want to believe you but any political leader with an ounce of sense could have seen that inviting half of the Middle East to Europe was a poor idea and either should have told Germany to deal with the problem they created or had an actually "more EU" solution and forced Merkel to stand down. Instead they let Merkel do what she wanted and then tried to force the countries that wanted no part of her folly to deal with the consequences. If a debate leader in a sixth form politics class wasn't able to see that then they would get a fail.
    They made mistakes, Max, and I would agree with those you point out above. But 'dunces'?
    Those aren't small mistakes that I've pointed out though, and they are mistakes that Dave (and George) saw coming and kept us well out of.
    But 'dunces'?
    Yes, dimwitted, slow, whatever you want to call it. They are the mistakes of amateurs, I think the whole of PB had worked out the consequences of Merkel's idiot decision within about an hour, yet the EU sat there twiddling it's thumbs saying how nice Mrs Merkel was and how awful Eastern Europe and the UK were for not taking in these wonderful people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Dan Mallory, author of the best-selling The Woman in the Window, has admitted to lying about having brain cancer. His admission comes after a New Yorker profile accused him of a history of lies about his personal life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47144368

That profile is very very long but well worth a read, it's crazier than most thrillers, that's for sure.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's not ridiculous at all to see the Tories as more outward facing than Labour. Should the EU be, or become, more of a social union then the roles change. Almost by definition Tories are likely to be less xenophobic than Labour supporters. I agree this flies in the face of the available facts.

We are talking about being in favour of Britain's continuing membership of the EU. That has nothing to do with being outward or inward looking.
    Spoiled only by the fact that the referendum was won by pandering to xenophobia.
    The referendum was won because an intransigent EU forcing us into ever closer union and diminishing national sovereignty year by year by stealth
    Funny, the posters I saw all concerned the untrue threat that millions of Muslims were poised to descend on Britain.
  • Options

It was accepted, but now it looks like it was impossible.

You want to test the idea to destruction, or would you prefer to do something sensible?

I fail to see any impossibility. It may be impossible to agree a deal with the EU and that's a shame if so but it's still possible to leave. You can't make our leaving contingent on the people we are leaving who don't want us to do so.

If the shoe was on the other foot ... if in 2014 Scotland voted by 52/48 Yes only for Cameron (who for some reason didn't resign despite the referendum result) to insist Scotland could only get a deal to leave if they agreed to implement English laws forever, or until England chose to let Scotland stop following English laws ... do you think Salmond would have decided that Scottish Independence was impossible after all?
    May's said there will be not be a No Deal exit. Watchagonna do?

We may yet leave. It's not impossible, but it's looking that way (which is what I wrote.) You can't see it? 'None so blind', Philip.
    When? I missed her saying that.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Funny, the posters I saw all concerned the untrue threat that millions of Muslims were poised to descend on Britain.
    Remain lost the referendum many years before June 2016. The resentment towards the EU and it’s disregard for national sovereignty has been brewing since 1975
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Call me Michael Eddington, but this is the thing you remainer types will never get. Sometimes, you've got to go down fighting for the freedom you believe in.

Live free or die.

I think the Remainer types get that perfectly well. They just believe in different freedoms. But it's still the same word. "Four freedoms", you remember?

PB is illustrative of that. Neither PB Remainers nor PB Leavers are any less vehement in their beliefs. You can pretty much say whether any given poster is a Remainer or a Leaver, and there's not much movement any more. I don't see any difference in the willingness to go down fighting.

Which is going to be entertaining on 29th March, particularly if it's No Deal.

I say "entertaining" in the manner of a "ho ho ho jolly politics" observer. But you can conceive scenarios where a shortage of one particular drug (held up at customs, or some administrative confusion over certification, or whatever) could be construed as leading to the death of, say, an already seriously ill kid in Liverpool. The story gets into the Canary or Novara in some exaggerated, misunderstood form; the mainstream media pick it up; and from then we're not far off riots in the Remain-voting cities. Not far at all.

Yes, people may well be going down fighting in the next couple of months, but I wouldn't bet on them being Leavers.

(Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and re-watch GBH.)
    My freedom believes in not being told what to do.

Or, if I must be, knowing clearly and exactly how I sack / vote out the person making the law that tells me what I can and can't do.

Everything else is bullshit.
    Sure. My freedom involves different things (partly because when you live in rural England, you get used to the fact that your vote will never make any difference to anything). No-one has a monopoly on the word. I've long been pissed off with Richard "toenail-eating" Stallman and his attempts to colonise the word "Freedom", duly capitalised, for his own particular ideology in computer software.

But just because people have a different definition to you doesn't mean that they're any less likely to fight for it. You can try yelling "YOU'RE WRONG, THIS ISN'T REAL FREEDOM, YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO DANIEL HANNAN" at them when they're rioting, but I doubt it'll do you much good.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Fascinating programme but my overwhelming impression is exactly the opposite of yours - How dumb are these people! (on all sides of the arguments).

They live by strict legalistic interpretations of rules with absolutely no initiative or foresight. When things go wrong the retreat into a bunker like mentality and are incapable of lateral thinking. And this is not limited at all to the EU and the leaders of the continental countries. The same applies to most of our politicians in Parliament as well - again on both sides of the argument.

One person did show some lateral thinking to try and sort out the financial crisis - Varoufakis. It was the rest of them, the pan European establishment, that closed ranks, put their fingers in their ears and read from the prepared script.
  • Options

Well of course you do, Richard, because your outlook is so inimical to theirs! They must therefore be stupid, or ill-willed, if not both.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

But just because people have a different definition to you doesn't mean that they're any less likely to fight for it. You can try yelling "YOU'RE WRONG, THIS ISN'T REAL FREEDOM, YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO DANIEL HANNAN" at them when they're rioting, but I doubt it'll do you much good.

:lol:
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Remain lost the referendum many years before June 2016. The resentment towards the EU and it’s disregard for national sovereignty has been brewing since 1975
    Nice theory, belied completely by the xenophobic campaign. Leavers need to get a better mirror.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Ross Thomson. Well, there's a fellow.
  • Options

One person did show some lateral thinking to try and sort out the financial crisis - Varoufakis. It was the rest of them, the pan European establishment, that closed ranks, put their fingers in their ears and read from the prepared script.
    Yes, I remember watching an industry lecture with him from when he was Valve's in house economist. Without a doubt one of the smartest people in politics. It's a shame that it went down like you said, as always the political project trumps all in the EU, even the people.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Oh come on Mr Meeks. A slight point against the possibly over-zealous tide. I'm sure your good nature will give me that.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited February 2019

It was accepted, but now it looks like it was impossible.

You want to test the idea to destruction, or would you prefer to do something sensible?

I fail to see any impossibility. It may be impossible to agree a deal with the EU and that's a shame if so but it's still possible to leave. You can't make our leaving contingent on the people we are leaving who don't want us to do so.

If the shoe was on the other foot ... if in 2014 Scotland voted by 52/48 Yes only for Cameron (who for some reason didn't resign despite the referendum result) to insist Scotland could only get a deal to leave if they agreed to implement English laws forever, or until England chose to let Scotland stop following English laws ... do you think Salmond would have decided that Scottish Independence was impossible after all?
    May's said there will be not be a No Deal exit. Watchagonna do?

We may yet leave. It's not impossible, but it's looking that way (which is what I wrote.) You can't see it? 'None so blind', Philip.
    When? I missed her saying that.
    In Northern Island, today. Nobody remarked upon it much, probably because it's not the first time she's said it. Or possibly people are used to her saying one thing and then doing something else.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dan Mallory, author of the best-selling The Woman in the Window, has admitted to lying about having brain cancer. His admission comes after a New Yorker profile accused him of a history of lies about his personal life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47144368

That profile is very very long but well worth a read, it's crazier than most thrillers, that's for sure.
    If seanT get stuck for new material....
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Call me Michael Eddington, but this is the thing you remainer types will never get. Sometimes, you've got to go down fighting for the freedom you believe in.

Live free or die.

I think the Remainer types get that perfectly well. They just believe in different freedoms. But it's still the same word. "Four freedoms", you remember?

PB is illustrative of that. Neither PB Remainers nor PB Leavers are any less vehement in their beliefs. You can pretty much say whether any given poster is a Remainer or a Leaver, and there's not much movement any more. I don't see any difference in the willingness to go down fighting.

Which is going to be entertaining on 29th March, particularly if it's No Deal.

I say "entertaining" in the manner of a "ho ho ho jolly politics" observer. But you can conceive scenarios where a shortage of one particular drug (held up at customs, or some administrative confusion over certification, or whatever) could be construed as leading to the death of, say, an already seriously ill kid in Liverpool. The story gets into the Canary or Novara in some exaggerated, misunderstood form; the mainstream media pick it up; and from then we're not far off riots in the Remain-voting cities. Not far at all.

Yes, people may well be going down fighting in the next couple of months, but I wouldn't bet on them being Leavers.

(Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and re-watch GBH.)
    My freedom believes in not being told what to do.

Or, if I must be, knowing clearly and exactly how I sack / vote out the person making the law that tells me what I can and can't do.

Everything else is bullshit.
    Sure. My freedom involves different things (partly because when you live in rural England, you get used to the fact that your vote will never make any difference to anything). No-one has a monopoly on the word. I've long been pissed off with Richard "toenail-eating" Stallman and his attempts to colonise the word "Freedom", duly capitalised, for his own particular ideology in computer software.

My freedom doesn't impinge on other people's. How about yours? How about the EU's?
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Nice theory, belied completely by the xenophobic campaign. Leavers need to get a better mirror.
    Wasn’t it “remainer” Cameron who stoked xenophobia :- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/30/david-cameron-migrant-swarm-language-condemned
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

That isnt what the polling shows. The peak for Leave was 1981, For Remain in the late eighties.

https://theconversation.com/polling-history-40-years-of-british-views-on-in-or-out-of-europe-61250
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Wasn’t it “remainer” Cameron who stoked xenophobia :- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/30/david-cameron-migrant-swarm-language-condemned
    The desperation to avoid the clear responsibility that Leave advocates bear for campaigning with race-baiting is palpable. But forlorn. The country’s current ills stem substantially from that catastrophic malignity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Good for Tusk. He sounded really angry. There was no humour whatsoever.

I suspect he was echoing the feeling among the 27 countries and the 17 million in this country who aren't Leavers

As you are a remainer how do you think his comments hd destination
    No matter how many times that the EU27 repeat that the backstop is not up for renegotiation, May and the Brexiteers are too thick to listen. There reaches a point where Tusk has to be very explicit and blunt in order to be heard.
    His language was crass and timing was idiotic
    The timing was perfect. The languague got noticed even by Tories with a tin ear.
    Yes. It's stiffened theirealism...

(Oh, and my Grammar Nazi is now singing the Horst Wessel. A bit more and it will be on 'Person called Romanes, they go the house?')
    Tusk is merely supporting May's Deal.

While May agitates against her own Deal.

We are through the looking glass.
    May's deal is dead. Parliament rejected it. Did you miss that?
    No. The only way that the Deal can be sold to Parliament is to get Labour onside, by backing permanent Customs Union. May however would rather No Deal than split her party.
    Parliament may still vote for permanent Customs Union and Single Market elements though as it did by 318 to 310 to oppose No Deal, the question would then be if the executive accepts the legislature's decision
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited February 2019
    kyf_100 said:

My freedom doesn't impinge on other people's. How about yours? How about the EU's?

You mean apart from my sudden lack of freedom to work in 27 European countries?

But this is kind of the point. You can shout all you like about how your freedom is the right one and how I. Just. Don't. Get. It. It's not going to convince me. I'm not any less likely to "go down fighting" just because you voted Leave and I voted Remain. The argument has gone beyond angels-on-a-pin dialectics about the exact meaning of "freedom".
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

I suspect he was echoing the feeling among the 27 countries and the 17 million in this country who aren't Leavers

As you are a remainer how do you think his comments has helped the peoples vote campaign

I am annoyed, not because of his anger which is evident on here daily, but because he risks hardening attitudes to the EU and makes a deal more difficult

I believe he finally finished off remain in the EU as any likely end destination
    No matter how many times that the EU27 repeat that the backstop is not up for renegotiation, May and the Brexiteers are too thick to listen. There reaches a point where Tusk has to be very explicit and blunt in order to be heard.
    The timing was perfect. The languague got noticed even by Tories with a tin ear.
    Yes. It's stiffened their resolve and increased the chances of no deal.

He must be very confident of the capital reserves of the Eurozone banking sector.

You wonder whether confidence is the same as realism...

(Oh, and my Grammar Nazi is now singing the Horst Wessel. A bit more and it will be on 'Person called Romanes, they go the house?')

No. The only way that the Deal can be sold to Parliament is to get Labour onside, by backing permanent Customs Union. May however would rather No Deal than immediately split her party.
    FTFY as I suspect the question of when the Tory party splits is now just a matter of time...
    I would hardly call the loss of Soubry et al a split. More like an appendectomy.
    Or removing a verruca.
  • Options

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2193356#Comment_2193356I'm pretty certain that I would still be able to get a job in any of the 27 EU countries before or after leaving.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

That isnt what the polling shows. The peak for Leave was 1981, For Remain in the late eighties.

https://theconversation.com/polling-history-40-years-of-british-views-on-in-or-out-of-europe-61250
    And few people cared very much about the EU until forced to take an interest in it when Cameron called the referendum. That is perhaps the greatest of the many tragedies that the referendum unleashed. An issue that was not very important to most people has been elevated into something that is dividing families, generations, and the nations of the UK. And all because of the indolence and arrogance of one man.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Self-confident leadership, like pushing for the completion of the single market, obviously goes down well with the public. With our great traditions, it should be the UK taking the lead on the creation of the EU army.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm pretty certain that I would still be able to get a job in any of the 27 EU countries before or after leaving.

"I'm alright Jack."
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

What’s happened to Vanilla on mobile!? I like it.

• Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    This seems particularly interesting. Probably an outlier but if true, potentially flippable on both counts.
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1093238514328711169
    https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1093232430503333889
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I'm pretty certain that I would still be able to get a job in any of the 27 EU countries before or after leaving.

Yes, being rich gives one so many more freedoms.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, being rich gives one so many more freedoms.
    Sorta why people who didn't have those options voted to leave, wasn't it...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Double quote buttons !
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019
    I see we are rehashing the same old same old arguments....I have personally spent the day weighing up best biscuit, its a really toughie.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

This is a completely tired and self-serving narrative peddled by well-off Brexiteers who want to pose as representing the interests of the common man.
  • Options

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2193361#Comment_2193361Well yes, but immigration has always had a skill element, removing that has distorted the market for 15 years. I think if the EU 27 want to reintroduce that skill element for UK immigration it's definitely fair.

• Options
    I know it is guido but another law firm is saying the backstop is illegal under EU law (not the GFA) as stated by Cox in November

How long before all this ends up in various courts
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

As you are a remainer how do you think his comments has helped the peoples vote campaign

I am annoyed, not because of his anger which is evident on here daily, but because he risks hardening attitudes to the EU and makes a deal more difficult

I believe he finally finished off remain in the EU as any likely end destination
    Yes. It's stiffened their resolve and increased the chances of no deal.

He must be very confident of the capital reserves of the Eurozone banking sector.

You wonder whether confidence is the same as realism...

No. The only way that the Deal can be sold to Parliament is to get Labour onside, by backing permanent Customs Union. May however would rather No Deal than immediately split her party.
    FTFY as I suspect the question of when the Tory party splits is now just a matter of time...
    I would hardly call the loss of Soubry et al a split. More like an appendectomy.
    The Conservatives are the European party. It's the ERG who'll be out on their ear.
    With 70% of the Conservative's voters and 80% of their workers.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

On reflection, I've concluded that Tusk's comments will be helpful in the long run.

The quicker we remind ourselves what a colossal majority there is in the UK for "we don't like the EU", the quicker we can move on from obsessing over the relatively more narrow majority for "the benefits of leaving the EU outweigh the difficulties associated with leaving", the better.

The problem is that since the referendum, both sides have seemingly decided that Leave and Remain are local rival football clubs who hate each other because they always have done. We need to unite around a common narrative, and (to me) the most obvious pathway involves reminding ourselves (both sides) about all the things the EU does that we don't like and have have done.

Theresa May has been trying that for two and a half years and it doesn't work because the narrative doesn't reflect the truth.
    When exactly did she try that? From what I can see, she's been treating the EU with far more respect than they've shown her.
    All her speeches on Brexit come from the perspective of thinking that British people universally weren't comfortable in the EU and didn't really like it.
    Now that you've said that, I can sort of see what you mean, but in general Theresa May has not been great at shaping public opinion, so it's little surprise that it hasn't worked. Anyway, no-one listens to politician's speeches.

Maybe she needed to do what Tusk has done today, and just blast them a few times on Twitter.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The key thing to remember re polls in France .

Older people are much more pro EU than those in the UK. Macron has much more support from older people than Le Pen and her anti EU message made her toxic to many voters .
  • Options

I see we are rehashing the same old same old arguments....I have personally spent the day weighing up best biscuit, its a really toughie.

Jaffa cakes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Double quote buttons !
    Being rolled out to the main site as well.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    Its a cake...and any suggestion it isn't will have Mcvities lawyers on the blower.
  • Options
    Tony

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

The desperation to avoid the clear responsibility that Leave advocates bear for campaigning with race-baiting is palpable. But forlorn. The country’s current ills stem substantially from that catastrophic malignity.
    Tony Blair lying about the amount of immigration from Eastern Europe and then allowing the floodgates to open hardly did much for social cohesion and put massive strain on the NHS and our infrastructure. And then calling anyone who what’s concerned about this racist , so immigration couldn’t be addressed or discussed . Politicians ignored the genuine concerns of people and shut down any debate , is it any wonder people who voted leave did so because the politicians ignored them and were not listening . Many did vote because of being ignored over immigration concerns , but also many voted because they saw our sovereignty being taken away from us by an undemocratic EU bureaucracy. The British have never been endeared to the concept of the EU and we have always been reluctant members , which is why leaving is the best thing, we want to trade, we want to be good neighbours, but we don’t want to be dictated to by a commission we cannot boot out if we do t agree with them . We want a much looser arrangement than the current position
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    Its a cake...and any suggestion it isn't will have Mcvities lawyers on the blower.
    It's in the biscuits aisle, next to the other biscuits.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

On reflection, I've concluded that Tusk's comments will be helpful in the long run.

The quicker we remind ourselves what a colossal majority there is in the UK for "we don't like the EU", the quicker we can move on from obsessing over the relatively more narrow majority for "the benefits of leaving the EU outweigh the difficulties associated with leaving", the better.

The problem is that since the referendum, both sides have seemingly decided that Leave and Remain are local rival football clubs who hate each other because they always have done. We need to unite around a common narrative, and (to me) the most obvious pathway involves reminding ourselves (both sides) about all the things the EU does that we don't like and have have done.

Theresa May has been trying that for two and a half years and it doesn't work because the narrative doesn't reflect the truth.
    When exactly did she try that? From what I can see, she's been treating the EU with far more respect than they've shown her.
    All her speeches on Brexit come from the perspective of thinking that British people universally weren't comfortable in the EU and didn't really like it.
    Now that you've said that, I can sort of see what you mean, but in general Theresa May has not been great at shaping public opinion, so it's little surprise that it hasn't worked. Anyway, no-one listens to politician's speeches.

Maybe she needed to do what Tusk has done today, and just blast them a few times on Twitter.
    Her heart wouldn't be in it. It's only immigrants that really get her going.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    Well that's what the VAT man said, and Mcvities lawyers spanked their arse in court.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

This is a completely tired and self-serving narrative peddled by well-off Brexiteers who want to pose as representing the interests of the common man.
    Number of people from Poland who came to the UK after 2004 - approx 800,000

Number of people from the UK who moved to Poland during that time - approx 40,000

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited February 2019
    Foxy said:

Wow, that's a weird graph! I don't get why support for the EU (or EEC as is was then) went down to 30% not long after the first referendum? Or how it got to 60% in the early 90s when it was the height of the tabloids printing anti-Europe stories?

I assume it went down around 2015 when the migrant crisis (with the massive increase in the Mediterranean crossings) became big news. If only the second referendum was in 2014!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ross Thomson. Well, there's a fellow.

It seems that appearances are not always deceptive.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    MaxPB said:

The point is not that you retain your freedoms, it's that you removed them from others.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    Well that's what the VAT man said, and Mcvities lawyers spanked their arse in court.
    It self identifies as a biscuit.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

What a ludicrous exercise in sophistry.

By the way, nice new phone interface for Vanilla Forums.

Much better than the old one.

• Options

Jaffa cakes.
    LOL...I didn't know it isn't just UK, apparently in Ireland they have a "moisture" test for biscuit vs cake and Jaffa Cakes have sufficiently high moisture content to be classified as a cake...you learn something new every day.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    LOL...I didn't know it isn't just UK, apparently in Ireland they have a "moisture" test for biscuit vs cake and Jaffa Cakes have sufficiently high moisture content to be classified as a cake...you learn something new every day.
    Biscuits go soft when they go stale while cakes go hard.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618
    _Anazina_ said:

What a ludicrous exercise in sophistry.

By the way, nice new phone interface for Vanilla Forums.

Much better than the old one.

I hate this new format. Make it stop.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in depressing international news:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1093258156342501376?s=21
  • Options

The new interface is completely effing up the quote function, it still has the character limit but you can't edit the previous quotes to delete them, not a great start.

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Number of people from Poland who came to the UK after 2004 - approx 800,000

Number of people from the UK who moved to Poland during that time - approx 40,000

So what? 16 million people voted Remain.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    So? It's a cake - it goes hard when you leave it out. Biscuits go soft.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited February 2019
    Vanilla is transitioning, the new version won't be fully functional until later on, so we might see some gremlins until then.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The new interface is completely effing up the quote function, it still has the character limit but you can't edit the previous quotes to delete them, not a great start.

The comments are very large and the names very small.

Is this the same for you too?
  • Options
    It appears Apple have made a handy emoji when one wants to talk about the Donald...

A new emoji being rolled out this year will depict a hand doing a pinching motion to depict a 'small penis' and mock modestly endowed gentlemen.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6674197/Small-penis-emoji-rolled-phones-year.html
  • Options

Actually I take it back.

I can’t seem to quote other people at all!

• Options
    edited February 2019

Vanilla is transitioning, the new version won't be fully functional until later on, so we might see some gremlins until then.

You want to sack the bloke responsible for the site admin...Hi Robert...
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Will it have a backstop at the end of the transition period?
  • Options

You want to sack the bloke responsible for the site admin...Hi Robert...
    It is one of those automatic updates.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Foxy said:

Wow, that's a weird graph! I don't get why support for the EU (or EEC as is was then) went down to 30% not long after the first referendum? Or how it got to 60% in the early 90s when it was the height of the tabloids printing anti-Europe stories?

I assume it went down around 2015 when the migrant crisis (with the massive increase in the Mediterranean crossings) became big news. If only the second referendum was in 2014!
    Yes, Euroscepticism rises in times when the economy is in the doldrums, drops when the economy improves. Other events affect it, but to a lesser extent.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Not about to go the way of disqus I hope.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Will it have a backstop at the end of the transition period?
    Never mind Brexit, this is much more important.
  • Options

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2193396#Comment_2193396Yes, it's not great. Another web 4.0 (or are we up to 5.0?) innovation we could have done without.

• Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Not about to go the way of disqus I hope.
    God, don't swear.
  • Options

Jaffa cakes.
    So are tunnock's tea cakes, and despite the base those aren't biscuits either.

• Options
    This is too annoying.

Logging off. Hopefully it'll be fixed by morning.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

But more importantly, Tunnock's are BRITISH.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Every word I type is a unique and exquisitely crafted piece of pure insight, it is good people will not be able to delete them.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

What about a wagon wheel?

• Options

This is too annoying.

Logging off. Hopefully it'll be fixed by morning.

Back on Brexit? Seems optimistic, frankly.
  • Options
    [{"insert":"V\nN \na. \nI\nL \n\nL A.........\n"}]
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

Confused about their identity.

Personally if it is not viable to be dunked in tea I don't think it qualifies as a biscuit. And I am very generous in determining what can and cannot be dunked, so it's a wide range, but wagon wheels and jaffa cakes miss out there.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

You are a bigger troll than Donald Tusk....
  • Options
    Oh FFS, I know delaying is her only move, but will minister just goddamn quit or ultras vote out her government already, it is getting incredibly reckless as well as pathetic and stupid to keep pushing the date like this.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

Personally if it is not viable to be dunked in tea I don't think it qualifies as a biscuit. And I am very generous in determining what can and cannot be dunked, so it's a wide range, but wagon wheels and jaffa cakes miss out there.
    What about a fig roll?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

What about a fig roll?
    I don't care if they are a biscuit or a cake, but they are the choice of snack for boxed wine drinkers...
  • Options
    edited February 2019

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

What about a fig roll?
    Without personal empirical data I would be hesitant to weigh in definitively on such an important topic, but from general observation they would appear to be cakes.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jaffa cakes.

You are a bigger troll than Donald Tusk....
    I wouldn't know how to troll, as my many PB thread headers prove.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1093261983720394754

What if Donny, Juncker and co say Non?
  • Options

twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1093261983720394754

What if Donny, Juncker and co say Non?
    We can threaten temporary revocation.
  • Options
    Is Brexit a cake or a biscuit?

Either it starts off soft and Norway-ish, and then hardens due to a mysterious internal chemical reaction, or it starts off hard and then softens when exposed to oxygen.
  • Options
    Thank feck for this, the commie trade union has ruined my weekends for nearly a year.

When Northern strike my Transpennine Express trains become rammed with rowdy peasants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/06/northern-rail-industrial-action-called-off-after-conductor-guarantee
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Is Brexit a cake or a biscuit?

Either it starts off soft and Norway-ish, and then hardens due to a mysterious internal chemical reaction, or it starts off hard and then softens when exposed to oxygen.

Isn't it a doughnut? It goes round in circles with a hole in the middle.
  • Options
    You've never seen Dan Snow and myself in the same room have you?

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1093265349208887296
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

Thank feck for this, the commie trade union has ruined my weekends for nearly a year.

When Northern strike my Transpennine Express trains become rammed with rowdy peasants.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/feb/06/northern-rail-industrial-action-called-off-after-conductor-guarantee

TPE is always full of rowdy West Yorkshire peasants heading for yet another Manchester hen party.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, there is much that can be said about the timing, the manner, the wording etc, but not a word about him being wrong, because he wasn't.

I suspect a lot of people in Britain, including some frustrated Leavers, will have thought his comments perfectly accurate.
    I imagine Liam Neeson's account of his revenge fantasies were "perfectly accurate", but....

You see the point.
    Perhaps the most famous truth told in error

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtBkVrqYYk
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

You've never seen Dan Snow and myself in the same room have you?

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1093265349208887296

I suspect someone will suggest this might count though... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir
This discussion has been closed.