Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tusk Tweets that suggest TMay is facing an uphill task

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited February 2019
    CatMan said:

You've never seen Dan Snow and myself in the same room have you?

https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1093265349208887296

I suspect someone will suggest this might count though... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir
    That wasn't against France proper more collaborating Vichy surrender monkeys.
  • Options
    Ooops.

A woman who tried to claim £400,000 against her employer for sexism failed after a tribunal found that she was paid more than most of her male peers and she had overestimated her abilities.

Donna Ball, 53, brought her claim against Coutts, the banker to the Queen, in the belief that her progress had been halted by a “glass ceiling” of discrimination against women. Ms Ball, an associate director, alleged that her employer resembled an “exclusive gentlemen’s club” that blocked her promotion and paid her too little.

The Central London Employment tribunal rejected her claim after concluding that she “has a higher perception of her performance” than she could demonstrate with evidence.

Ms Ball said in her evidence that she should be paid more than her line manager and his manager because she was a law graduate and neither of them had a degree.

The tribunal was told how Ms Ball, from Stevenage, Hertfordshire, joined the bank in 2010. Her basic salary is £60,000 and she receives a variable bonus of about £10,000.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/donna-ball-fails-in-sexism-claim-against-queen-s-banker-coutts-2zl733ps8

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    SeanT said:

Yes, there is much that can be said about the timing, the manner, the wording etc, but not a word about him being wrong, because he wasn't.

I suspect a lot of people in Britain, including some frustrated Leavers, will have thought his comments perfectly accurate.
    I imagine Liam Neeson's account of his revenge fantasies were "perfectly accurate", but....

You see the point.
    Hmm. Yes.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    CatMan said:

I suspect someone will suggest this might count though... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-Kébir
    I think that is why he specifically said on the high seas. Destroying them in port doesn’t really count.

Oh Lordy, someone has tried to “improve “ things again.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CatMan said:

I think that is why he specifically said on the high seas. Destroying them in port doesn’t really count.

'Improve' things, are you talking about Brexit?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Harsh stuff, but are Facebook's prospects going to be affected by the increasingly widescale view that, shocker, they are a bit shitty?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125

DavidL said:

CatMan said:

'Improve' things, are you talking about Brexit?
    No, no something much more important to my quality of life.
  • Options

Ooops.

The Central London Employment tribunal rejected her claim after concluding that she “has a higher perception of her performance” than she could demonstrate with evidence.

Ms Ball said in her evidence that she should be paid more than her line manager and his manager because she was a law graduate and neither of them had a degree.

Some pretty killer quotes right there, particularly the first one. A lot of people think they could do better than their managers and might be right, and many many more of us think our performance is great, it is not often that someone external rules that no, you're not as good as you think you are.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ooops.

Some pretty killer quotes right there, particularly the first one. A lot of people think they could do better than their managers and might be right, and many many more of us think our performance is great, it is not often that someone external rules that no, you're not as good as you think you are.
    When I did last year's gender/ethnicity pay audit I learned a lot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1093270117549555712

He says the changes to the political declaration must include:

A “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.
    Close alignment with the single market, underpinned by “shared institutions”.
    “Dynamic alignment on rights and protections”, so that UK standards do not fall behind those of the EU.
    Clear commitments on future UK participation in EU agencies and funding programmes.
    Unambiguous agreements on future security arrangements, such as use of the European arrest warrant.

Its just a rehash of Labour's impossible tests. It scream arse covering, so if / when shit hits the fan Jezza can tell everybody it was that bloody difficult woman's fault, I did everything I could.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    The CU would be insanity.

You can see why Corbyn would propose it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I'm pretty certain that I would still be able to get a job in any of the 27 EU countries before or after leaving.

Yes, being rich gives one so many more freedoms.
    Its nothing to do with being rich and everything to do with having the skills that are needed and the gumption to actually go and find the work. That applies whether you are looking for a job in Italy or Indonesia.

According to the ONS back in April last year only 26% of Britons working abroad were working in the EU. 74% of them were working in non EU countries. So this idea about Brexit stopping people being able to work overseas is, like so many other Remainer arguments, garbage.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Is Brexit a cake or a biscuit?

Either it starts off soft and Norway-ish, and then hardens due to a mysterious internal chemical reaction, or it starts off hard and then softens when exposed to oxygen.

Isn't it a doughnut? It goes round in circles with a hole in the middle.
    I think it's a meringue. Brittle, now cracking, and hollow inside as no one agrees what should go with it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

BBC Ten just TERRIBLE for Remainers and the EU. They look like spoilt angry teens, chucking insults at the hated UK.

This will play well with maybe the hardcore 20% Remainers, it will budge the rest of the country towards No Deal, which damages everyone. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Tusk should be sacked, frankly. But how do you sack an EUCO president?

Well, exactly.

Yes, and the BBC is the most EU-friendly of the main channels.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2019
    Nothing happened in 2000 because of all the work done to mitigate it. In comparison the Brexiteers have done bugger all.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Her shoes must be in some state now, with all those cans kicked down the road and so many balls kicked into the long grass.
  • Options
    The only Brexits we might get are no deal brexit, or Labour brexit, thanks to the ERG not liking official Tory brexit. Time to choose.

Except not really, since May wants to take some time off for the next few weeks so more people can say no to things over and over, very useful stuff.
  • Options
    Forget pineapple on pizza, there's a worse food combo.

Jalapeño Peanut M&M’s Exist Now, and They Sound...Interesting

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/food-cocktails/a26206876/new-mms-flavors-jalapeno-peanut/
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Is Brexit a cake or a biscuit?

Either it starts off soft and Norway-ish, and then hardens due to a mysterious internal chemical reaction, or it starts off hard and then softens when exposed to oxygen.

Isn't it a doughnut? It goes round in circles with a hole in the middle.
    It'll end up as fudge.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    [{"insert":"Hmm\n"}]
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

Hmm

Hmmmm
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BBC Ten just TERRIBLE for Remainers and the EU. They look like spoilt angry teens, chucking insults at the hated UK.

This will play well with maybe the hardcore 20% Remainers, it will budge the rest of the country towards No Deal, which damages everyone. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Tusk should be sacked, frankly. But how do you sack an EUCO president?

Well, exactly.

Why should he be sacked? Given it was not an off the cuff remark which he regrets, but something planned out, reemphasised by a tweet, and which he and Varadkar find hilarious as most of Europe and many in this country squeal in delight about his truth telling, then whatever phony rollbacks there may or may not be from various EU sources, it seems quite apparent that his remarks are shared and endorsed at the highest levels. He's doing what they want.

I could believe Juncker might unintentionally stir things up after a dinner session with a loose tongue, but Tusk? All on script I'd guess.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Well, exactly.

Yes, and the BBC is the most EU-friendly of the main channels.
    Dream on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    Looks like Theresa May is back in control of the timetable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,351

kle4 said:

I see we are rehashing the same old same old arguments....I have personally spent the day weighing up best biscuit, its a really toughie.

Jaffa cakes.
    Its a cake...and any suggestion it isn't will have Mcvities lawyers on the blower.
    It's in the biscuits aisle, next to the other biscuits.
    So are tunnock's tea cakes, and despite the base those aren't biscuits either.

But more importantly, Tunnock's are BRITISH.
    You are a bigger troll than Donald Tusk....
    I wouldn't know how to troll, as my many PB thread headers prove.
    I don’t think Tusk was trolling.
    Watching him on the news, that looked more like genuine anger, barely suppressed.

Not an impressive display of self control, or political smarts - but I wonder if EU leaders are beginning to believe a no deal Brexit quite likely, and this was Tusk giving in to the impulse to apportion blame ?

• Options
    CatMan said:

I guess they had to wait till they were tied up before having another go.

On a slightly related note, just watched the first episode of the Das Boot remake. Somewhat like redoing the Isenheim Altarpiece but it wasn't bad, some nice cinematography. I fear it may go on to concentrate on 'personalities' though.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

It's not ridiculous at all to see the Tories as more outward facing than Labour. Should the EU be, or become, more of a social union then the roles change. Almost by definition Tories are likely to be less xenophobic than Labour supporters. I agree this flies in the face of the available facts.

We are talking about being in favour of Britain's continuing membership of the EU. That has nothing to do with being outward or inward looking.
    An excellent point and very well made.
    Spoiled only by the fact that the referendum was won by pandering to xenophobia.
    The referendum was won because an intransigent EU forcing us into ever closer union and diminishing national sovereignty year by year by stealth
    Funny, the posters I saw all concerned the untrue threat that millions of Muslims were poised to descend on Britain.
    Remain lost the referendum many years before June 2016. The resentment towards the EU and it’s disregard for national sovereignty has been brewing since 1975
    Nice theory, belied completely by the xenophobic campaign. Leavers need to get a better mirror.
    The Breaking Point poster was unveiled a week before the vote. By that time postal votes will already have been sent in. The Turkey poster was unveiled around May 23rd.

If Remain wanted to win, it should have been making the positive case for Britain’s membership of the EU long before the campaign started. And it should have had an answer to peoples’ concerns about immigration. In that sense I think the referendum was likely lost before the campaign started and the poor Remain campaign did not change the position sufficiently.

You have said before in response to a question from me that these two are the xenophobic posters you object to. I have asked you - but don’t believe I ever got a response - whether if Leave had won but without those posters what difference do you think it would have made.

Would you describe a campaign based in part on immigration concerns but without untrue/misleading posters/claims as xenophobic?

And if not, wouldn’t it lead to exactly the same red lines as now - on FoM, for instance.

No obligation on you to answer but would be interested in your response.
  • Options
    timpletimple Posts: 118

Mike said: "When I want to cheer myself up I think that this could all be like the “Millenium bug” that so dominated the news ahead of 1999 move to the year 2000. In the run up there was scare story after scare story which all, as it turned out, failed to materialise."

The Millennium Bug was not a problem because a huge amount of mitigation was put in place to prevent it and minimise its effects. Basically there was a plan and people knew what had to be done and buckled down and did it.

Brexit has no plan. No idea of what it means. It is like a Millennium Bug with no one agreeing what the fix is.

Was going to say the same but you beat me to it! It infuriates those who worked on it when it is compared to Brexit. But I guess those that make the comparison are not usually the type that work on highly complex, technical projects, with detailed knowledge required, being "experts" not needed by the likes of Gove etc
This discussion has been closed.