Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s Ipsos-MORI ratings take a huge tumble with 72% saying

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

You’ll never win an election if the leader of the party is viewed more unfavorably than the party itself . Starmer would be wiping the floor with May if he was Labour leader . How long will the Corbyn groupies remain in a fantasy ?

As a Labour supporter the current situation is very painful!

But Corbyn supporters don't agree with Starmer's politics.
    Does Starmer have any politics? Genuine question. As a former DPP and the lawyer brought in to lead on Brexit, I, for one, am totally unaware of where he stands within the Party on any other issue.
    Has he ever voiced any opinion on health, education or the economy? Is he on the right, centre or soft left of the Party?
    He's my MP. I have always perceived him as highly careerist, first, and soft left, second. He was a horribly PC DPP. He's also extremely wooden, and bad on TV, I'm not sure why Labourites see him as a saviour, apart from outright desperation.

I'll say it again, Thornberry is their best choice, on so many levels. She riles people, but the people she riles don't matter. I don't think core Labour voters in the North really care about her flag insult.

She's competent, she's smart, she's quite articulate, she's a woman (finally, a woman leader of Labour) she's got a decent backstory, she will appeal to centrists and Don't Knows, and the middle classes in the south, she is also just about leftwing enough to satisfy most Corbynites.

She's a Remainer who would push for, and accept, a very Soft Brexit.

I think if she were leading Labour they would be 10 points ahead.

If they were led by Ed Balls they would probably be 15-20 points ahead, but he would never be accepted by the lunatic membership.
    Too fat though. Britain will never elect a fat female PM anytime soon.

And a horrendous PC London luvvie who will forever be judge by her flag tweet which showed how out of touch she is. Kryptonite north of Luton
    And, like Gove, she has a way about her that rubs you up the wrong way before you even think about what she is saying.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"For example, the last week of March 2018 saw renewed focus on Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn’s past support for a graffiti artist called Mear One, who had painted an allegedly antisemitic mural in Tower Hamlets in 2012 (Corbyn objected to the removal of the mural by Tower Hamlets council). This led to a demonstration held outside Parliament and an open letter to Corbyn from Jewish community leadership bodies in late March. Representatives of those same Jewish organisations (including CST) subsequently met Corbyn and his leadership team in late April 2018. This period saw sustained and prominent media and political debate about the question of antisemitism in the Labour Party, and about the broader issue of antisemitism in British society. CST recorded the highest and second-highest monthly antisemitic incident totals for the year in May and April respectively. Similarly, in August a series of allegations of antisemitic behaviour by Labour Party members and by Jeremy Corbyn himself attracted widespread media coverage. There was also an ongoing dispute during the summer of 2018 over whether the party would adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Association (IHRA) definition of antisemitism (this continued into early September, when the party decided to adopt the definition). These factors may help to explain why the number of antisemitic incidents reported to CST rose from 130 in July 2018 to 150 incidents in August. "

24 mentions of "Labour" in the report.

So in those 24 mentions you have 1 actual incident mentioned the rest just mentions allegations, discussions and debates.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

SeanT said:

See I wrote "reject" twice in the same paragraph. That's shoddy English, and I would normally and quickly amend it. But I can't, because no Edit button.

This is bad. It is going to make PB much less euphonious. Comments with glaring errors, prosodical, political and statistical, will litter the page like dog poo.

Can we have the EDIT button back, please. Thanks.

DIODIR - do it once, do it right. This is what one of my old big bosses at Lehman Bros used to preach. And 'preach' was the word. He even used to hand out paperweights with that (DIODIR) written on them.

What a prat, that guy was.
    Did he have a rubber on the end of his pencil? Because... :)
    There's a pharmaceutical saying (probably used elsewhere, too); 'You can have it quick or you can have it right!'
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Resign? He's not competent and doesn't need the money any more.

I like Vince Cable as a politician but I think the problem with his leadership is lack of brio.

He is 75, and while I would be delighted to reach that age in his apparent condition, I do think that he has 'gone over' and needs to be handing over the torch quite soon.
    Strangely enough he did quite well as Acting Leader , and many regretted his failure to run for the Leadership at the time.
  • Options
    You get the sense that Emily Thornberry has a warm sense of humour and that helps her a lot. She'd be just fine as Labour leader. I don't think we will ever get to find out though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

You’ll never win an election if the leader of the party is viewed more unfavorably than the party itself . Starmer would be wiping the floor with May if he was Labour leader . How long will the Corbyn groupies remain in a fantasy ?

Does Starmer have any politics? Genuine question. As a former DPP and the lawyer brought in to lead on Brexit, I, for one, am totally unaware of where he stands within the Party on any other issue.
    Has he ever voiced any opinion on health, education or the economy? Is he on the right, centre or soft left of the Party?
    He's my MP. I have always perceived him as highly careerist, first, and soft left, second. He was a horribly PC DPP. He's also extremely wooden, and bad on TV, I'm not sure why Labourites see him as a saviour, apart from outright desperation.

I'll say it again, Thornberry is their best choice, on so many levels. She riles people, but the people she riles don't matter. I don't think core Labour voters in the North really care about her flag insult.

She's competent, she's smart, she's quite articulate, she's a woman (finally, a woman leader of Labour) she's got a decent backstory, she will appeal to centrists and Don't Knows, and the middle classes in the south, she is also just about leftwing enough to satisfy most Corbynites.

If they were led by Ed Balls they would probably be 15-20 points ahead, but he would never be accepted by the lunatic membership.

And a horrendous PC London luvvie who will forever be judge by her flag tweet which showed how out of touch she is. Kryptonite north of Luton
    Dissing the flag is about as toxic as it gets with a raft of not-very-political people who vote on the basis of stuff like this. Maybe punching HM the Queen in the throat would be worse. But not much.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Anorak said:
    "Follow Back Pro-Europe".

Pause.

No, me neither. But it seems to keep them happy.
    FBPE is possibly the worst, clumsiest, ugliest Twitter hashtag ever invented. It doesn't help that most of the people who add it to their Twitternames are completely batshit crazy.
    Its a very useful feature though - it informs one to instantly scroll past their tweet as the content is invariably bilge.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,753

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

SeanT said:

See I wrote "reject" twice in the same paragraph. That's shoddy English, and I would normally and quickly amend it. But I can't, because no Edit button.

This is bad. It is going to make PB much less euphonious. Comments with glaring errors, prosodical, political and statistical, will litter the page like dog poo.

DIODIR - do it once, do it right. This is what one of my old big bosses at Lehman Bros used to preach. And 'preach' was the word. He even used to hand out paperweights with that (DIODIR) written on them.

There's a pharmaceutical saying (probably used elsewhere, too); 'You can have it quick or you can have it right!'
    My dad had something similar: "You can have it quick, good or cheap. Pick any two."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"For example, the last week of March 2018 saw renewed focus on Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn’s past support for a graffiti artist called Mear One, who had painted an allegedly antisemitic mural in Tower Hamlets in 2012 (Corbyn objected to the removal of the mural by Tower Hamlets council). This led to a demonstration held outside Parliament and an open letter to Corbyn from Jewish community leadership bodies in late March. Representatives of those same Jewish organisations (including CST) subsequently met Corbyn and his leadership team in late April 2018. This period saw sustained and prominent media and political debate about the question of antisemitism in the Labour Party, and about the broader issue of antisemitism in British society. CST recorded the highest and second-highest monthly antisemitic incident totals for the year in May and April respectively. Similarly, in August a series of allegations of antisemitic behaviour by Labour Party members and by Jeremy Corbyn himself attracted widespread media coverage. There was also an ongoing dispute during the summer of 2018 over whether the party would adopt the International Holocaust Remembrance Association (IHRA) definition of antisemitism (this continued into early September, when the party decided to adopt the definition). These factors may help to explain why the number of antisemitic incidents reported to CST rose from 130 in July 2018 to 150 incidents in August. "

So in those 24 mentions you have 1 actual incident mentioned the rest just mentions allegations, discussions and debates.
    Wow you are actually beginning to be quite funny about this (in a not at all funny way).

They draw a direct connection between the activities of Jeremy Corbyn and an increase in anti-semitic incidents. I think your posts, meanwhile, illustrate all we need to know about your view of it all.

But please do read the report. The link was there.
  • Options

You get the sense that Emily Thornberry has a warm sense of humour and that helps her a lot. She'd be just fine as Labour leader. I don't think we will ever get to find out though.

I suspect by the time Labour need a new leader she won't get it (although there is a chance) and if not then probably not at all. I do like Emily though, she is entertaining and very likable.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

From the Executive Summary:

"CST recorded 148 incidents in 2018 that were examples of, or related to arguments over, alleged antisemitism in the Labour Party."
  • Options

I suspect by the time Labour need a new leader she won't get it (although there is a chance) and if not then probably not at all. I do like Emily though, she is entertaining and very likable.
    Labour needs a new leader now. The current one is the spent leader of a short-lived but declining cult.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Yeah. He's obviously used to standing up in court, being prepared, and capable of pursuing an argument. All transferable skills to the HoC. However, he isn't very good in interviews, and I couldn't see him running a national campaign. He also totally lacks the single most important thing for a Labour leader, which is a definable power base in the Party.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"CST recorded 148 incidents in 2018 that were examples of, or related to arguments over, alleged antisemitism in the Labour Party."
    TBH with such a broad definition it should probably be much more than that, there was a huge amount of argument and many false allegations flying around the place.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    TGOHF said:

Its a very useful feature though - it informs one to instantly scroll past their tweet as the content is invariably bilge.

Indeed. That and the X the crazier Trumpettes sport.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Encouraging polling for Biden if he's thinking about funding needed for a presidential run:
    https://poll.qu.edu/california/release-detail?ReleaseID=2599
  • Options

Labour needs a new leader now. The current one is the spent leader of a short-lived but declining cult.
    Female Labour leaders are like the second coming of Christ - it could happen and maybe soon but a couple of millennia could pass before it happens, if ever.
  • Options

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"For example... "

TBH with such a broad definition it should probably be much more than that, there was a huge amount of argument and many false allegations flying around the place.
    Are you actually trying to argue that Labour supporters are, on the whole, more anti-semitic than the report suggests?!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

Wow you are actually beginning to be quite funny about this (in a not at all funny way).

They draw a direct connection between the activities of Jeremy Corbyn and an increase in anti-semitic incidents. I think your posts, meanwhile, illustrate all we need to know about your view of it all.

People do seem to have a strange problem with me responding to things that they actually post rather than the things they don't post. I'm sure Corbyn is linked to a rise in allegations and arguments that in itself is meaningless though.

TBH we have had your views previously on the issue on as well, I believe you made an anti semitic comparison between Jews and Israel last time we discussed the issue so a little less high and mighty is probably for the best.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    viewcode said:

:-)

Well quite.

But no, he was deadly serious about this DIODIR business. His view was that it promoted discipline and focus if you knew you only got one shot at something.

Funny, because he was on his third wife IIRC.
  • Options

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

Nope. They filter out much of the casual bullying which people attempt to say is anti-semitism.

1. Group of youths pick on openly Jewish person, push him around = not anti-semitic.
    2. Group of youths pick on openly Jewish person, call him dirty Jew = anti-semitic incident.

Not that I would want to tip you out of your nothing to see here comfort zone, that said.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

I don't know if we've already covered this, but I thought it was absolutely extraordinary that nearly a tenth of all recorded antisemitic incidents in the UK in 2018 were associated with the Labour Party:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/07/antisemitic-incidents-uk-record-high-third-year-in-row-community-security-trust

What is even more extraordinary is the denial about it (well illustrated here by some of our Corbyn fans).

Ignoring the morality piece, is there much evidence to suggest that the public cares about anti-semitism?

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    viewcode said:

Anorak said:

Pause.

FaceBook, Politics & Economics - New degree option for wonks with smartphones.
  • Options
    matt said:

I don't know if we've already covered this, but I thought it was absolutely extraordinary that nearly a tenth of all recorded antisemitic incidents in the UK in 2018 were associated with the Labour Party:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/07/antisemitic-incidents-uk-record-high-third-year-in-row-community-security-trust

What is even more extraordinary is the denial about it (well illustrated here by some of our Corbyn fans).

Ignoring the morality piece, is there much evidence to suggest that the public cares about anti-semitism?

Being thought to be less or more anti-semitic is not a hindrance for the Labour Party.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932
    SeanT said:

This YouGov article agrees with me. The most significant politician in the country with noticeable net approval ratings is Ruth Davidson. You have to look quite hard for any others.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/11/06/boris-and-pm-are-britains-most-popular-politicians

Oh dear , have you been on the sauce, she is a useless donkey.
  • Options
    matt said:

No, not really at the moment. The political effect is within Labour, and especially as a part of the forces pushing out sane and decent MPs and other key figures.
  • Options

SeanT said:

By the way, do any of the people here who constantly complain about Vince Cable's crapness have any suggestions about what he should be doing differently?

Yes, he should be retiring from frontline politics.
    I mean, I don't disagree. But until I hear what he's doing wrong and why it's stifling the lib dem comeback, complaints about Vince seem like a fig-leaf for centrist remainers who are in denial about how unpopular their worldview currently is.
    The first problem is a lack of energy. Cable isn't a bad politician though he's still a bit tainted by the Coalition. But the most visible Lib Dems in the media right now are (in order) Layla Moran, Tom Brake, Jo Swinson, and only then Cable. When your education spokesman is more visible than your leader, you know that you've got issues with the leader.

The second problem is a failure to articulate what the Lib Dems stand for other than being anti-Brexit. Labour is for an interventionist state and universal benefits. The Conservatives under May are for social authoritarianism, low intervention in business, and nativism. What do Cable's Lib Dems believe? Are they interventionist or laissez-faire? Will they, say, invest in the railways like Labour, or try and reduce their demands on the public purse like the Tories? I couldn't even tell you and I'm expecting to vote Lib Dem at the May locals.
    Surely saying nothing is a perfect articulation of what they stand for. Their rallying cry is "Can't we all just go back to a few years ago when things were nicer?"

As for visibility, I think the problem might be that they have a simple, clear, almost-universally-agreed-on stance on Brexit. Which is boring. The splits and strife in the Tory and Labour parties dominate the news. This puts the Lib Dems in a similar position to the SNP, who you also rarely hear from on Brexit (except the occasional boring statement nobody remembers or cares about).
    AS they say sh** floats, hence why Labour and Tories are heard.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

SeanT said:

My dad had something similar: "You can have it quick, good or cheap. Pick any two."
    At one stage of my life my epitome of 'crossness' to a student was 'In this life one can be useful or beautiful. You are neither!"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

This YouGov article agrees with me. The most significant politician in the country with noticeable net approval ratings is Ruth Davidson. You have to look quite hard for any others.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2018/11/06/boris-and-pm-are-britains-most-popular-politicians

She's popular in the same way Ken Clarke is - anodyne, middle of the road and doesn't offend the foaming mouthed Labour hordes as much as other Conservatives.

Could such a wet big government type ever lead the Con party ? Let's hope not.
    Unusually, I disagree with you. Yes she is a bit too big government, but she is nonetheless relaxed, smart, clever, with a great backstory. She seems actively normal, sane, sensible and capable, unlike 95% of politicians. She reminds me of Sturgeon - before power and office took its toll on the Scottish FM.

The Tories are lucky to have her in Scotland (and so is the Union), but dammit I wish she was in Number 10.
    Holy crap
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Disagree on the body shape. It's not flimsy but she carries it well. Also disagree on the 'flag' thing. I don't think that has stuck. Thornberry has an earthy sense of humour and a no nonsense way of talking that IMO would have blue collar appeal in a GE.

She is also a smoker - the real things not the vaping - and that has to help tremendously in many of the target marginals.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

People do seem to have a strange problem with me responding to things that they actually post rather than the things they don't post. I'm sure Corbyn is linked to a rise in allegations and arguments that in itself is meaningless though.

TBH we have had your views previously on the issue on as well, I believe you made an anti semitic comparison between Jews and Israel last time we discussed the issue so a little less high and mighty is probably for the best.
    I doubt that last but I'm sure you will remind me how/what.

In the meantime, we have a report out by some Jewish organisation which directly alludes to a connection between Jeremy Corbyn's antics and an increase in anti-semitic incidents. But as far as you are concerned, as "it's only 1 actual incident" (have you read the whole report? I haven't) it's not that important so you dismiss the whole thing.

Is "1 incident" your threshold for it to be ok for Jeremy Corbyn's antics to be linked to a rise in anti-semitic incidents?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"For example... "

Are you actually trying to argue that Labour supporters are, on the whole, more anti-semitic than the report suggests?!
    Ahh, I'm not really sure where you are struggling...

Lets try it again...

You quoted "CST recorded 148 incidents in 2018 that were examples of, or related to arguments over, alleged antisemitism in the Labour Party."

And I said

I'm not sure what part was the struggle?

Another way to say it might be... There should maybe be more as many untrue claims were made and much disagreement was had.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Admit it Sean, you have the hots for her.
    Don't encourage him - he already has.
    Yes, I confessed my deviant desires for her Milfy charms a couple of days back. Apols for the image.
    Er... She 3 years older than you. How can Milf be appropriate?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

She's popular in the same way Ken Clarke is - anodyne, middle of the road and doesn't offend the foaming mouthed Labour hordes as much as other Conservatives.

Unusually, I disagree with you. Yes she is a bit too big government, but she is nonetheless relaxed, smart, clever, with a great backstory. She seems actively normal, sane, sensible and capable, unlike 95% of politicians. She reminds me of Sturgeon - before power and office took its toll on the Scottish FM.

The Tories are lucky to have her in Scotland (and so is the Union), but dammit I wish she was in Number 10.
    How about Mark Francois as Conservative leader?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Holy crap
    Distance from her vapid shouty mouthings obviously dulling your senses, apart from sitting on tanks, Buffalo etc she has done nothing.
    Has more faces than the town clock and no principles.
  • Options

SeanT said:

And she’s on maternity leave... surely she has to say something meaningful about Brexit before the end of March?
    She's had nothing meaningful to say on Brexit before March, what will have changed by then?
  • Options
    Why do we persist with this Vanilla shite btw?

We could knock up a Wordpress site in a couple of days that would work much better.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, just another malign effect of Brexit:

https://twitter.com/tashahinde/status/1093842922976567296
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

They'd be totally wiped out.

He gets my vote!
  • Options

Extra therapy sessions will help offset some of the economic slowdown. though.
  • Options

These people need to turn off their screens and get some fresh air.
  • Options

I feel a bit meh about that Alastair - anyone who can afford a therapist is unlikely to be on the receiving end of the serious impact of Brexit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

He would be killed by Cons MPs before he reached the dispatch box.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

In the meantime, we have a report out by some Jewish organisation which directly alludes to a connection between Jeremy Corbyn's antics and an increase in anti-semitic incidents. But as far as you are concerned, as "it's only 1 actual incident" (have you read the whole report? I haven't) it's not that important so you dismiss the whole thing.

Is "1 incident" your threshold for it to be ok for Jeremy Corbyn's antics to be linked to a rise in anti-semitic incidents?
    You were trying to smear Corbyn but went too far into Jews and Israel thing, easily done to accidentally smear people you apparently want to defend when attacking political rivals, that is if it is all about attacking a political rival rather than defending the group as claiming.

Direct allusion is lovely some proof would be a fine thing though and as we know it is damn tricky to prove a negative so I won't hold my breath here.

It is one incident in that part you quoted to me earlier.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Yes, I confessed my deviant desires for her Milfy charms a couple of days back. Apols for the image.
    Is she?? She looks good for her age. Genuinely didn't know that. I'd have had her as late 40s, maybe 50.

I really am bewildered by my odd attraction to her. She is the opposite of my normal type, which is, happily, like my wife: young, elfin etc.

There must be some enormous German word coined by Freud for "someone unexpected you find sexually attractive for reasons you don't understand"
    'Milfenlust'
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

There's a fuller account of the antisemitism report here:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-anti-semitism-breaks-record-high-for-3rd-year-in-a-row-says-watchdog/

Some pretty horrendous stuff there.

Not only is the new Labour membership and party a participant in this, but the general passivity of senior figures, and their unwillingness to deal with it has led to a normalisation of antisemitism. This emboldens deeply unpleasant people from across the whole political spectrum. Dark times.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Is she?? She looks good for her age. Genuinely didn't know that. I'd have had her as late 40s, maybe 50.

I really am bewildered by my odd attraction to her. She is the opposite of my normal type, which is, happily, like my wife: young, elfin etc.

There must be some enormous German word coined by Freud for "someone unexpected you find sexually attractive for reasons you don't understand"
    Unerwarteteliebesfreude
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

It's French, but doesn't "jolie laide" cover it?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Corbyn is less popular in the UK than Macron is in France!

... and that's BEFORE Corbyn wrecks the country. Macron at least has made some decisions that affect people, so has some excuse for being unpopular.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

nico67 said:

"How long will the Corbyn groupies remain in a fantasy ?"

Until Labour are slaughtered in a GE.

Even then I wonder.

Labour have a perception issue. Corbyn supporters think he is already popular, and he will somehow improve Labours fortunes again during the course of another election campaign.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

For Thornberry it would be "die schnapsidee".

An idea that only seems good after gallons of strong liquor.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

The Greek is gerontophilia
  • Options

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"For example... "

Ahh, I'm not really sure where you are struggling...

Lets try it again...

You quoted "CST recorded 148 incidents in 2018 that were examples of, or related to arguments over, alleged antisemitism in the Labour Party."

And I said

I'm not sure what part was the struggle?

Another way to say it might be... There should maybe be more as many untrue claims were made and much disagreement was had.
    I see what happened. You used the phrase "false allegations" to mean "false accusations of anti-semitism". I took it to mean Lyou acknowledging there were a lot of Labour supporters on social media throwing around huge numbers of false allegations, some of which were anti-semitic (eg Jewish Labour MPs being given orders by Mossad to undermine Corbyn).

This is from page 39 of the report, which explains why the figure is not much higher:

CST does not proactively trawl for antisemitic incidents on social media, but only records them if they are reported to CST by a victim or witness, and if it can be shown that either the victim or the offender is based in the United Kingdom. In addition, if, for example, a high-profile Jewish individual is subjected to a concentrated campaign of antisemitic abuse and harassment involving hundreds or thousands of antisemitic tweets, CST will record this campaign as a single incident, rather than logging each individual tweet as
    a separate incident; to do otherwise would be impractical and would render CST’s overall incident statistics unintelligible.
    This all means that the number of social media incidents recorded in this report is
    only indicative, rather than being a guide to the actual number of antisemitic tweets,
    comments and posts in the United Kingdom in 2018, which is certain to be far higher.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

viewcode said:

Anorak said:

Pause.

FBPE is possibly the worst, clumsiest, ugliest Twitter hashtag ever invented. It doesn't help that most of the people who add it to their Twitternames are completely batshit crazy.
    IMO, All those who add a hashtag to their name on social media should be made to eat pineapple pizza and drink boxed wine while only be able to watch Radiohead live at Glastonbury on any streaming device until they repent! No tits and dragons for that lot!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

You were trying to smear Corbyn but went too far into Jews and Israel thing, easily done to accidentally smear people you apparently want to defend when attacking political rivals, that is if it is all about attacking a political rival rather than defending the group as claiming.

Direct allusion is lovely some proof would be a fine thing though and as we know it is damn tricky to prove a negative so I won't hold my breath here.

1. ie you can't remember what it was and hence forgive me if I don't set too much store by it; and
    2. one incident out of the two I quoted to you hence a 50% strike rate.

But you didn't answer the question - is "1 incident" (out of however many quoted) your threshold for it to be ok for Jeremy Corbyn's antics to be linked to a rise in anti-semitic incidents?
  • Options
    Alternatively Geschmacksverirrung - would also cover Farage thinking mustard cords can be worn ever.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

We could knock up a Wordpress site in a couple of days that would work much better.

Running a forum / comment site is harder work than you imagine - Vanilla do a lot of things behind the scenes that you won't see
  • Options
    eek said:

Running a forum / comment site is harder work than you imagine - Vanilla do a lot of things behind the scenes that you won't see
    Wait until the EU ram through article 11 and 13....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Yeah. He's obviously used to standing up in court, being prepared, and capable of pursuing an argument. All transferable skills to the HoC. However, he isn't very good in interviews, and I couldn't see him running a national campaign. He also totally lacks the single most important thing for a Labour leader, which is a definable power base in the Party.
    The interview point is a surprise. The good barristers I’ve known are fluent and coherent outside their specific briefs. He looks like an early (and discarded) figurine from Thunderbirds though.

Is a power base needed though? As far as I can tell, the hard left never really had one (at least in recent history) and yet they are in control.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-anti-semitism-breaks-record-high-for-3rd-year-in-a-row-says-watchdog/

Not only is the new Labour membership and party a participant in this, but the general passivity of senior figures, and their unwillingness to deal with it has led to a normalisation of antisemitism. This emboldens deeply unpleasant people from across the whole political spectrum. Dark times.
    It is amazing that this simple, transparently obvious fact is not clear to even the most mindless Corbyn fans. Or maybe their mindlessness is why it is so taxing for them to understand.
  • Options
    One thing to note about Jeremy Corbyn's ratings is how decided the public is. Only 11% are "don't knows" about whether they are satisfied with him or not (just 9% are "don't knows" for the Prime Minister, but that's a much more visible role). These are now unlikely to be lightly formed judgements, easily converted by some brisk but effective campaigning.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

Old vanilla works just fine, and we almost have old vanilla back again.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Old vanilla works just fine, and we almost have old vanilla back again.
    Is the old versions known as vanilla vanilla?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

Aren’t you trying to bail out a leaky boat here. Corbyn is almost certainly anti-Semitic. He has been very careful to not be openly so, but he would be monumentally stupid if being a Labour MP since the 80s he had been openly so. He allows a culture of anti-semitism to thrive firstly. He won’t come out and say things have been wrong, but he is clearly of the worldview that Jews are a problem not Israel. Hence his support for the characterised money grabbing Jews mural. I’ve been looking at some of the Corbynites in Bristol as I come across them on Facebook - they don’t even try to hide their Jew hatred.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Geras (old age) was one of the daughters of Nyx, along with Nemesis (retribution), Thanatos (death), Eris (discord), and Hypnos (sleep). Not the nicest brood...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Anorak said:

It is amazing that this simple, transparently obvious fact is not clear to even the most mindless Corbyn fans. Or maybe their mindlessness is why it is so taxing for them to understand.
    The number of times a tosser with a labour Rose and #JC4PM in their twitter handle asserts there's no evidence is astonishing. An amoeba with opposable thumbs can find hundreds of diligently curated examples, including councillors, members, MPs and Leaders of the Opposition.
  • Options
    matt said:

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

The interview point is a surprise. The good barristers I’ve known are fluent and coherent outside their specific briefs. He looks like an early (and discarded) figurine from Thunderbirds though.

Is a power base needed though? As far as I can tell, the hard left never really had one (at least in recent history) and yet they are in control.
    Yes, they never had one (since Benn and Militant anyway), which is why they then spent three decades in the wilderness.

Re Starmer, he's not a leader. He could be a could Exec but he doesn't have the makings of a Chief Exec: no communicated vision.
  • Options

One thing to note about Jeremy Corbyn's ratings is how decided the public is. Only 11% are "don't knows" about whether they are satisfied with him or not (just 9% are "don't knows" for the Prime Minister, but that's a much more visible role). These are now unlikely to be lightly formed judgements, easily converted by some brisk but effective campaigning.

That’s a good point - it’s taken Corbyn a few years to grow his reputation. If Labour had gone for a sane leader they would be streets ahead now.
  • Options

The site started that way, but the volume of comments became too large for that architecture to support.
    Vanilla works better now then before that change was made.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

He's my Mints ahead, but he would never be accepted by the lunatic membership.

Hah. Yes. A ten pinter, as we used to call them in our rude and wicked youth, writing for FHM and Maxim.

Sigh. Happy days. Ou sont les neiges d'antan
    Nothing wrong with beer goggles. Or cider visors when you were under 18.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964

The site started that way, but the volume of comments became too large for that architecture to support.
    Disqus wasn't too bad... until they implemented nested comments. hideous.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, I think that's right. He's not coming back from these record bad polling figures, unless he does something absolutely dramatic: like going full Remain, backing a 2nd referendum and campaigning to stay.

Chances of that are negligible, so he's stuck now. Surely Labour must realise, get rid of him, put in blah blah (repeat for the 927th time, ad naus)
    The only thing that will shift Corbo is death or a heavy GE defeat.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

He's my MP. I have always perceived him as highly careerist, first, and soft left, second. He was a hots ahead, but he would never be accepted by the lunatic membership.

The Greek is gerontophilia
    I seem to recall you once expressing a rather startling desire for Hillary Clinton.
    It's a good job you aren't Mormon. That's some selection of wives you'd have.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Hah. Yes. A ten pinter, as we used to call them in our rude and wicked youth, writing for FHM and Maxim.

Aside from the classic adjectival Beergoggler, my dad used to call unattractive women a Tug as he thought they would hang around with attractive women and if one of the gang wanted the ship one would have to deal with the Tug.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, I think that's right. He's not coming back from these record bad polling figures, unless he does something absolutely dramatic: like going full Remain, backing a 2nd referendum and campaigning to stay.

Chances of that are negligible, so he's stuck now. Surely Labour must realise, get rid of him, put in blah blah (repeat for the 927th time, ad naus)
    Are you trying to suggest Corbyn changes his mind? I might not like him but he is certainly consistent in his views.
  • Options
    Well, quite the battle for supremacy on this thread between 'How big is the antisemitism problem for Labour?' and 'What do you call sexual attraction to Emily Thornberry?'

Tories and Brexit out in the cold.

Illustrates very clearly how political debate cannot be predicted or controlled, and therefore the risks to TM (if she did not know them already) of calling a snap election.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

The problem with all Labour candidates for leadership is immigration, all of them would open the floodgates to this country especially on asylum .
    All have the mindset of Merkel and the pressure will come from the far leftwing membership.
  • Options

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Aside from the classic adjectival Beergoggler, my dad used to call unattractive women a Tug as he thought they would hang around with attractive women and if one of the gang wanted the ship one would have to deal with the Tug.
    Which is why you should aim for the tug. Less obsessed with themselves and by nature, keener to help out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Disqus wasn't too bad... until they implemented nested comments. hideous.
    Wordpress would support PB easily but as ever it's the configuration that'll make the difference and thus due to cost etc issues Vanilla may well be the right choice - it seems fine now
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

Aren’t you trying to bail out a leaky boat here. Corbyn is almost certainly anti-Semitic. He has been very careful to not be openly so, but he would be monumentally stupid if being a Labour MP since the 80s he had been openly so. He allows a culture of anti-semitism to thrive firstly. He won’t come out and say things have been wrong, but he is clearly of the worldview that Jews are a problem not Israel. Hence his support for the characterised money grabbing Jews mural. I’ve been looking at some of the Corbynites in Bristol as I come across them on Facebook - they don’t even try to hide their Jew hatred.
    My wife is pretty apolitical and has been a Con-Lib Dem floating voter for the 12 years I’ve known her. Unlike me, I could see the circumstances where she might vote for Labour even under Corbyn.
    Recently during the BBC news she said that she’s fed up to the back teeth with all this anti-Semitism stuff. Without expressing which side of the debate she’s fed up with – she just thinks it’s totally irrelevant to the big issues facing the country and she’s totally right. I imagine she’s speaking for many non-politicos right now.
  • Options
    Mr. Fowkes, welcome to PB.

When you report she says it's 'irrelevant', do you mean she thinks it doesn't matter/is a smear?
  • Options
    kfowkes said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

So in those 24 mentions you have 1 actuns allegations, discussions and debates.

My wife is pretty apolitical and has been a Con-Lib Dem floating voter for the 12 years I’ve known her. Unlike me, I could see the circumstances where she might vote for Labour even under Corbyn.
    Recently during the BBC news she said that she’s fed up to the back teeth with all this anti-Semitism stuff. Without expressing which side of the debate she’s fed up with – she just thinks it’s totally irrelevant to the big issues facing the country and she’s totally right. I imagine she’s speaking for many non-politicos right now.
    And probably most non-Jews also.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Oh (dear) Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Anorak said:

SeanT said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

dixiedean said:

nico67 said:

Nothing wrong with beer goggles. Or cider visors when you were under 18.
    Hah. "Cider visors" is new to me. Though, having grown up in Herefordshire, I've certainly worn them a few times.
    I’m sure you “enjoyed” snakebite and black made with Bulmers traditional.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And I thought I had an MP of whom to be ashamed.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Oh (dear) Jeremy Corbyn.

Jezza headlining Glastonbury seems a long time ago....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's sad news. I once played the lead role in Woyzeck and stabbed Marie to death with a knife that Finney had used in a production at the National Theatre a few months before.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kfowkes said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

People dthe best.
    I doubt

Labour's anti-Semitism won't impact them directly in the polls, for the reasons you both cite, however it does damage them, tangentially, over the longer term, as 1. makes them look divided and shifty, and 2. destroys their holier than thou USP and 3. reveals some really nasty people who support Labour, also 4. it reminds people of Jezza's eager friendship with Islamists

All these are a drag on Labour's performance.
    One would hope so.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kfowkes said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

@TheJezziah

apologies for long post:

"Fst. "

People dthe best.
    I doubt

Labour's anti-Semitism won't impact them directly in the polls, for the reasons you both cite, however it does damage them, tangentially, over the longer term, as 1. makes them look divided and shifty, and 2. destroys their holier than thou USP and 3. reveals some really nasty people who support Labour, also 4. it reminds people of Jezza's eager friendship with Islamists

All these are a drag on Labour's performance.
    Also
    5. Basic lack of competence in putting their own party in order. If they can't manage that how would they deal with a country?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

By the way, do any of the people here who constantly complain about Vince Cable's crapness have any suggestions about what he should be doing differently?

His garden?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited February 2019
    Looking at OGH's data, that cretin Brown managed a slight recovery, interestingly by building favourables, not reducing unfavourables, during the financial crisis. Thank God it wasn't enough to get him over the line in 2010 though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    Google warns news sites may lose 45% of traffic if EU passes its Copyright Reform

https://thenextweb.com/eu/2019/02/07/google-copyright-reform-eu-article-11/

Google are obviously biased, but Article 11 / 13 are absolutely stupidly crafted laws...but EU doesn't appear to do listening.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

The only thing that will shift Corbo is death or a heavy GE defeat.

Death is the only thing that would prevent Corbyn from standing down as leader at a time of his choosing. And he will stay until a credible far left successor emerges. Assuming McDonnell is too old, there is no-one on that wing of the party who could win and so Jezza has to keep going, hoping that something turns up. My guess is that were Labour to win the next election he would stand down immediately and let McDonnell be PM.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    And I thought I had an MP of whom to be ashamed.
    I've heard him speak. He's not stupid, or malicious, I think, but just kind of not living in the real world.....in an embarrassing uncle kind of way.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    So I see Johhny McD is trying to blame Berger herself for the issues she is facing...I mean the people causing her all this grief are such lovely people,

http://hurryupharry.org/2019/02/07/the-man-who-hates-the-zionist-luciana-berger/
  • Options

I feel a bit meh about that Alastair - anyone who can afford a therapist is unlikely to be on the receiving end of the serious impact of Brexit.
    Er.. how about the million plus on the NHS?
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2017/12/1-4-million-people-referred-to-nhs-mental-health-therapy-in-the-past-year/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    kinabalu said:

Well, quite the battle for supremacy on this thread between 'How big is the antisemitism problem for Labour?' and 'What do you call sexual attraction to Emily Thornberry?'

Tories and Brexit out in the cold.

Illustrates very clearly how political debate cannot be predicted or controlled, and therefore the risks to TM (if she did not know them already) of calling a snap election.

Well, here’s an attempt to divert the stream.

I reluctantly post the news that appears to be strong empirical evidence for the proposition that a deep Brexit recession might improve the nation’s health:
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-recession-greater-decline-mortality-europe.html
This discussion has been closed.