Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The party whose leader has the worst LOTO ratings on record re

12346»

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

Anyway. The serious point is that both May and Corbyn are willing to inflict economic damage to the country for no reason other than party politics.

It is quite wicked.

I can’t think of a modern comparator, to be honest, outside of authoritarian regimes.

They're inflicting it on us because we voted for it.

Even though I remain convinced we were wrong to do so, to say that implementing the result of a democratic vote is comparable to an authoritarian regime - well, really!

I'm afraid you may think me a pompous pedant, but you're just coming across as hysterical now.
    I do not believe the country voted for a No Deal Brexit. Yet that is what both May and Corbyn are leading us toward.

May’s red lines. May’s timetable. May’s unsupported Deal. Corbyn’s unicorns.

Not the voters’.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course it wouldn’t.

This is also why, whatever outcome we get, deal, no deal or remain, the national Brexit fracture will not be healed for some cnsiderable time.

During our European car holidays with our 3 children years ago we visited Dachau and Mauthausen, and subsequently Yad Vashem, and the horrors they represented had a deep lasting effect on all my family and any comparison to brexit is utterly shameful
    Oh god, the prissy pearl-clutchers are out in force.

It was, of course, Brexiters who brought up the Holocaust and then tried to claim the higher moral ground. Shame to see you indulge in it, Big G.
    You were the one who said Brexiteers should face Nuremberg-style trials. When last I checked, you were a Remainer.
    I described May (and Corbyn) as guilty of the “economic version of a war crime”, and then suggested facetiously that any subsequent trial be held in Nuneaton rather than Nuremberg.

Somehow this is construed as comparing Brexit to the Holocaust by the pearl-clutching brigade, who seek to parade their noble and pure consciences while simultaneously aiming to shut down criticism.

Gillray would have farted in their general direction.
    Even if I accepted your interpretation of your post, and that isn't the way it comes across, the fact remains you compared May and Corbyn to Nazis. Whatever their faults, that is just crass (Corbyn may dislike Jews, but he's not actively trying to kill them even if some of his friends are). They are, admittedly rather badly, implementing a decision th country forced on them.

And incidentally Brexit, whatever else it is, isn't anything remotely comparable to a war crime.

Finally, for your point to be valid this would have to be planned. The whole problem is it hasn't been.

I don't think you do yourself any favours by such lurid hyperbole and I'm sure several posters will tell you coming from me that's practically a professional opinion.
    I look forward to similar hoity toity condemnations of Corbyn being called a Stalinist (or indeed a Communist/Trot/Maoist).
    Given that many on the left seem to think those are compliments I am not sure that is much of a comparison.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    edited February 2019

If this is what pb.com is like now, what’s it going to be like in the small hours of 30th March a few hours after there’s No Deal?

I'll be posting on here about my arrangements to go to the bookies and pick up my £1,125 winnings plus my £500 stake from the bookies and writing a nice thank-you email to the bookies for being so kind.

I know. I'm insufferable.

[If it makes you feel better, I think the probability that May extends is quite large so this is not a prediction. As I have mentioned in the past there is an element of insurance betting here. The one scenario I haven't covered is extend+NoDeal, which is worrying me... :( ]
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The right way for potential PMs to eat a bacon roll, perhaps? Remember those innocent days?

Are there Conservatives who admit they'd actually feel better if EdM and EdB were running things, rather than TM and PH (not to forget Andrea Jenkyn, of course), even if EdM was a sloppy eater and EdB was a bit fat?

That's a slightly odd question

A Tory No Deal Brexit is the one scenario under which Jeremy Corbyn has a realistic chance of becoming PM. Which, of course, is why he wants one.

Actually Corbyn's best chance of becoming PM is if the Tories revoke Brexit given mostn party
    Did you enjoy your visit to Israel and Palestine. We did it some years ago and it was fascinating with so much to see and to try to understand

It is true that travel broadens the mind
    Am still there until Saturday, leaving Jerusalem tomorrow and onto Galilee via Nablus.

As you no doubt discovered on your trip it is a fascinating region and full of history and of importance to the 3 religions of the book. Started off in Bethlehem and visited Hebron and Ramallah and Herod's Fortress of Masada, swam in the Dead Sea and have been staying in Jerusalem for the last few days.

I found Hebron the point where the divide between Palestinans and Jews was strongest, even the tomb of Abraham was separated between them. Masada was astonishing with spectacular views and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was a real mix of Christian traditions, especially good to visit early in the morning, the Garden Tomb near the hotel was also an interesting find which some Protestant traditions consider the actual site of Jesus' tomb
    You sum it up very well.

Our highlight was when our coach, with an Auschwitz survivor tour guide, drove round the road blocks on the first day of Arafat's peace treaty into Jericho and our guide got out, went up the steps at the walls and embraced the Palestinian soldier on duty. It was highly charged and symbolic as the Arab and Jew shared a genuine moment, and our bus of international tourists broke out in spontaneous applause

Sadly it did not last
    Sounds a good story and shows that humanity can bridge ethnic divisions.

Anyway, two hours ahead here so off to bed now, night all
    Enjoy the rest of your trip. I am sure you will find it very enlightening
  • Options

This is quite funny (unless you're one of those thin skinned, touchy types).

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1094932365800022016

Wow that food looks epic. Now I am hungry you bugger!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If this is what pb.com is like now, what’s it going to be like in the small hours of 30th March a few hours after there’s No Deal?

I'll be posting on here about my arrangements to go to the bookies and pick up my £1,125 winnings plus my £500 stake from the bookies and writing a nice thank-you email to the bookies for being so kind.

[If it makes you feel better, I think the probability that May extends is quite large so this is not a prediction. As I have mentioned in the past there is an element of insurance betting here. The one scenario I haven't covered is extend+NoDeal, which is worrying me... :( ]
    I've mentioned it as insurance betting as well.

Still counts as good solid political betting too!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The right way for potential PMs to eat a bacon roll, perhaps? Remember those innocent days?

Are there Conservatives who admit they'd actually feel better if EdM and EdB were running things, rather than TM and PH (not to forget Andrea Jenkyn, of course), even if EdM was a sloppy eater and EdB was a bit fat?

That's a slightly odd question

A Tory No Deal Brexit is the one scenario under which Jeremy Corbyn has a realistic chance of becoming PM. Which, of course, is why he wants one.

Actually Corbyn's best chance of becoming PM is if the Tories revoke Brexit given mostn party
    Did you enjoy your visit to Israel and Palestine. We did it some years ago and it was fascinating with so much to see and to try to understand

It is true that travel broadens the mind
    Am still there until Saturday, leaving Jerusalem tomorrow and onto Galilee via Nablus.

As you no doubt discovered on your trip it is a fascinating region and full of history and of importance to the 3 religions of the book. Started off in Bethlehem and visited Hebron and Ramallah and Herod's Fortress of Masada, swam in the Dead Sea and have been staying in Jerusalem for the last few days.

I found Hebron the point where the divide between Palestinans and Jews was strongest, even the tomb of Abraham was separated between them. Masada was astonishing with spectacular views and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was a real mix of Christian traditions, especially good to visit early in the morning, the Garden Tomb near the hotel was also an interesting find which some Protestant traditions consider the actual site of Jesus' tomb
    You sum it up very well.

Our highlight was when our coach, with an Auschwitz survivor tour guide, drove round the road blocks on the first day of Arafat's peace treaty into Jericho and our guide got out, went up the steps at the walls and embraced the Palestinian soldier on duty. It was highly charged and symbolic as the Arab and Jew shared a genuine moment, and our bus of international tourists broke out in spontaneous applause

Sadly it did not last
    Sounds a good story and shows that humanity can bridge ethnic divisions.

Anyway, two hours ahead here so off to bed now, night all
    Enjoy the rest of your trip. I am sure you will find it very enlightening
    Thankyou and am sure I will
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Tories might well win a May 2 GE, providing... May shows up at the debates; No death/granny tax

I don't think I can take another May GE campaign.

Just what exactly has she learnt since last time?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Unfortunately I will be sending an email to Richard N asking him which good cause he would like me to pay his £100 towards.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Tories might well win a May 2 GE, providing... May shows up at the debates; No death/granny tax

Never underestimate the ability of Theresa May to screw things up when she comes into contact with real, living, breathing, people... ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    There are saying they won't re-open the Withdrawal Agreement rather too much.

That suggests to me they will do something that effectively amounts to reopening the Withdrawal Agreement.
    If they want a deal they will.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Scott_P said:

That suggests to me they will do something that effectively amounts to reopening the Withdrawal Agreement.
    If we want a deal we'll make it worth their while.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

German carmakers, eh?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

German carmakers, eh?
    It’s not over until the Italian prosecco makers sing.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

May 2nd GE would be the best day this year, if we must have an election. Local Govt elections across the country are on the same day...

Could we hold the Euro elections on the same day?
    I think not. 23rd May - 26th May according to EU websites.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Do you ever take the UK's side in anything, William?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    The brexit devil's fork has two prongs.
    Cameron and Corbyn.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited February 2019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course it wouldn’t.

This is also why, whatever outcome we get, deal, no deal or remain, the national Brexit fracture will not be healed for some cnsiderable time.

During our European car holidays with our 3 children years ago we visited Dachau and Mauthausen, and subsequently Yad Vashem, and the horrors they represented had a deep lasting effect on all my family and any comparison to brexit is utterly shameful

It was, of course, Brexiters who brought up the Holocaust and then tried to claim the higher moral ground. Shame to see you indulge in it, Big G.
    You were the one who said Brexiteers should face Nuremberg-style trials. When last I checked, you were a Remainer.
    I described May (and Corbyn) as guilty of the “economic version of a war crime”, and then suggested facetiously that any subsequent trial be held in Nuneaton rather than Nuremberg.

Somehow this is construed as comparing Brexit to the Holocaust by the pearl-clutching brigade, who seek to parade their noble and pure consciences while simultaneously aiming to shut down criticism.

Even if I accepted your interpretation of your post, and that isn't the way it comes across, the fact remains you compared May and Corbyn to Nazis. Whatever their faults, that is just crass (Corbyn may dislike Jews, but he's not actively trying to kill them even if some of his friends are). They are, admittedly rather badly, implementing a decision th country forced on them.

And incidentally Brexit, whatever else it is, isn't anything remotely comparable to a war crime.

Finally, for your point to be valid this would have to be planned. The whole problem is it hasn't been.

I don't think you do yourself any favours by such lurid hyperbole and I'm sure several posters will tell you coming from me that's practically a professional opinion.
    I look forward to similar hoity toity condemnations of Corbyn being called a Stalinist (or indeed a Communist/Trot/Maoist).
    But when it comes to those, I'm the one making them! :smiley:

Edit - well, except for Communist. He's the one who calls himself that.
    Self condemnation is perhaps the defining characteristic of a show trial. Get some practice in for the glorious day (or its aftermath).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Is Van Rompuy an “influencer” these days?
    I don’t go on Instagram a lot so I’m not up with these things.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Scott_P said:

??? I'm lost.

I would like to never see the word constructive used every again though.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I'm on the UK's side. I want revocation, not their Brexit deal.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2019

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    Of course it wouldn’t.

I think Gillray would have scorned your silly analogy to the Nuremberg Trials.

He would have shown a cadaverous Theresa May and Jermey Corbyn, naked and soiling themselves, as they dismember the carcass of an gyrfalcon with Great Britain written on its wing.

Around them, baying crowds of lunatics and posh totty and thriller writers with young wives are cavorting, whilst an enormous, gluttonous Boris Johnson is copulating with a pig.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

A totally predictable europhilic non-answer to my question.

Let me ask you again: do you ever take the UK's side on anything?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Do you take Putin's side deliberately?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

German carmakers, eh?
    Indeed. They can ill afford no deal Brexit.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Don't try and sidestep it.

Answer the question.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Answer the question.
    Of course I do.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Answer the question.
    Of course I do.
    Give me one example where you think the UK has got it right and the EU has got it wrong.

Don't try and reach for a europhilic example, like that time Blair argued for compulsory European worship in the CoE every Sunday to curry a bit of favour and Jacques Santer thought that might be going a bit far.

Convince us you're sincere.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Answer the question.
    Of course I do.
    Give me one example where you think the UK has got it right and the EU has got it wrong.

Don't try and reach for a europhilic example, like that time Blair argued for compulsory European worship in the CoE every Sunday to curry a bit of favour and Jacques Santer thought that might be going a bit far.

I don't see the UK and EU as opposing sides and in almost every case if they end up on opposing sides, it's a sign of failure.

If you want an example it would be Thatcher on the rebate. She was right, but they solved it the wrong way - the budget rules should have been revised so that they would have been fair without needing a rebate.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Answer the question.
    Of course I do.

I don't see the UK and EU as opposing sides and in almost every case if they end up on opposing sides, it's a sign of failure.

If you want an example it would be Thatcher on the rebate. She was right, but they solved it the wrong way - the budget rules should have been revised so that they would have been fair without needing a rebate.
    Thank you.

That's a start.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,582

ydoethur said:

In these benighted times, there are few British politicians who could be cited as role models for the young. But if I were asked to name one, I would, without hesitation, say Chris Grayling. For a very simple reason.

He shows that anything is possible.

He does. He is living, breathing proof that all you need, if you want to get somewhere in life, is self-belief. Not intelligence, or talent, or skill, or knowledge, or basic competence, or anything like that. Just self-belief.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/11/stop-knocking-chris-grayling-man-should-inspiration-us/

He's a very soft target. I don't think for a second he deserves the opprobrium heaped on him.
    I don't think it for a second either, I think it all the time. :smiley:

And he's still not as useless as Laura Pidcock.
    I think he has a near impossible job. As an example, it is a known fact that train drivers are overpaid, and strike at the drop of a hat. Not really Grayling's fault. But he's a convenient target.
    Were the train drivers responsible for wasting £800k of public money on consultancy to assess the bid of a company with no ships?
  • Options

viewcode said:

I've mentioned it as insurance betting as well.

Still counts as good solid political betting too!
    It's a tricky one. As @AndyJS has pointed out, it really does feel like EURef2:The Sequel and there is a part of me that wants to pile in big style. But the fact remains that May can (ask for an) extension up to the last second-ish, so it's risky. So...well, I'll have a look at the figures this weekend... :(

46 days zero hours nine minutes to go...
  • Options

viewcode said:

Unfortunately I will be sending an email to Richard N asking him which good cause he would like me to pay his £100 towards.
    Speaking of intra-PB betting, what are the terms of @SeanT vs @williamglenn ? When does the bet get paid and what are the win/lose criteria?
This discussion has been closed.