Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday open thresd

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday open thresd

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Catechism of the Pangolin
    Plastic bombastic and lugubrious cucumbers
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    This has to be the worst Sunday thread header in the history of thread headers, perhaps ever :o

:p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    FPT :

i) How the f* did Corbyns son qualify for social housing
    II) Highlights the ludicrousness of Help to buy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

This has to be the worst Sunday thread header in the history of thread headers, perhaps ever :o

Worst thresd header.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FPT :

And the cynicism of James Cleverly's and the Mail's repeated use of Mr Corbyn!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

FPT :

I'm wondering actually if he only owns a quarter of the flat...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2019
    Tories too skint for an election? Tucked away in the Telegraph's story on a Cash for Access row over the Chancellor is:

The new offer followed reports that key party funders were refusing to bankroll a future election campaign, amid dissatisfaction with Mrs May’s leadership.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/16/cash-access-claims-tories-offer-private-meetings-philip-hammond/

On the betting front, does this make a snap election less likely and a second referendum more likely (as in DH's thread)? I'd suppose the party (either party) would simply borrow the money.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    An amusing take on the Democrat candidates for 2020:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NELgksUcgDE
  • Options

Tories too skint for an election? Tucked away in the Telegraph's story on a Cash for Access row over the Chancellor is:

The new offer followed reports that key party funders were refusing to bankroll a future election campaign, amid dissatisfaction with Mrs May’s leadership.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/16/cash-access-claims-tories-offer-private-meetings-philip-hammond/

On the betting front, does this make a snap election less likely and a second referendum more likely (as in DH's thread)? I'd suppose the party (either party) would simply borrow the money.

I still can’t see either main party wanting an election any time soon, certainly not before the Brexit process has moved on somewhat. Far too many internal differences of opinion on what’s by far the major issue of the day, and as you say fundraising difficulties caused by these splits.

Of course, if an election was actually called, everyone would be in favour of it and the money found for the campaigns, but there would be some serious internal party disagreements along the way.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,377
    FPT...

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

TBH I think some people are slightly confused about who Karl Marx is...

A political philosopher who is naive about human nature is one who is not really worth listening to.

It is hardly surprising that his followers ended up killing so many when they started from the premise that people needed to be forced to fit a theory rather than that any theory about human societies should start with human beings - with the crooked timber of humanity.

“Out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing is ever made” - Kant.

Neither Marx nor Lenin nor Mao nor Stalin nor Hitler nor any of their many disciples ever understood this. No wonder their hands are steeped in blood.
    You can stick Adam Smith in there with his warped capitalist view and the bloodstained continents it created.

'By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good. It is an affectation, indeed, not very common among merchants, and very few words need be employed in dissuading them from it.'

'It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.'

A little less self interest, thought of advantages and a bit more benevolence and humanity would have gone a long way on the continents the Europeans ravaged.
    And who wrote this ?
    What improves the circumstances of the greater part can never be regarded as an inconveniency to the whole. No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

FPT :

I'm wondering actually if he only owns a quarter of the flat...
    There’s something missing from the story that’s for sure. I’d expect a covenant to the sale to state that the property was sold as an owner-occupied home, not as a buy-to-let, at least for a number of years. His mortgage company would probably have questions too.
  • Options
    Trump effectively nominated himself for the Nobel...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/02/17/national/politics-diplomacy/abe-nominated-trump-nobel-peace-prize-request-u-s-report-says/
    Prime Minister Shinzo Abe nominated U.S. President Donald Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize last autumn after receiving a request from the U.S. government to do so, the Asahi newspaper reported Sunday.

The report follows Trump’s claim Friday that Abe had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize for opening talks and easing tensions with North Korea....
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Nigelb said:

FPT...

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

TBH I think some people are slightly confused about who Karl Marx is...

A political philosopher who is naive about human nature is one who is not really worth listening to.

It is hardly surprising that his followers ended up killing so many when they started from the premise that people needed to be forced to fit a theory rather than that any theory about human societies should start with human beings - with the crooked timber of humanity.

“Out of the crooked timber of humanity no straight thing is ever made” - Kant.

Neither Marx nor Lenin nor Mao nor Stalin nor Hitler nor any of their many disciples ever understood this. No wonder their hands are steeped in blood.
    You can stick Adam Smith in there with his warped capitalist view and the bloodstained continents it created.

'By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good. It is an affectation, indeed, not very common among merchants, and very few words need be employed in dissuading them from it.'

'It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.'

A little less self interest, thought of advantages and a bit more benevolence and humanity would have gone a long way on the continents the Europeans ravaged.
    And who wrote this ?
    What improves the circumstances of the greater part can never be regarded as an inconveniency to the whole. No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable....
    TBH my argument is more equating him and Marx rather than actually thinking he is bad or blood stained. As Barnesian said in regards to Marx he cannot be held responsible for those who perverted his works/thoughts. Sort of more along the lines of 'on that basis Smith is x, y...'

Whilst his theories/thoughts do tend towards a more free market (or are free market) they do actually seem more attractive then many of those that profess to be for free markets but actually want some slight twist on it to specifically benefit themselves or their pet causes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

My apologies. Both TSE and I are away this weekend in locations with no WiFi and almost no mobile connectivity. I've had to walk about 500 metres from where to post this.
  • Options
    MrXMrX Posts: 12
    So what's everyone's predictions when brexit returns to parliament on the 27th of February?

I think the odds are in favour of Cooper's amendment passing, or something else along those lines. The conservative rebels keep putting off the day but they can't put it off any longer I think the ERG really made people angry this week.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

RobD said:

My apologies. Both TSE and I are away this weekend in locations with no WiFi and almost no mobile connectivity. I've had to walk about 500 metres from where to post this.
    Have a great time the two of you!
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Np, Mr. Smithson. Not quite the same, but I do appreciate the difficulty of posting regularly, and three or more times a day is very regular. Plus the only (to date) article I wrote was informative about the amount of time required to write and edit something that didn't have any dragons or murder in it.
  • Options
    MrX said:

So what's everyone's predictions when brexit returns to parliament on the 27th of February?

I think the odds are in favour of Cooper's amendment passing, or something else along those lines. The conservative rebels keep putting off the day but they can't put it off any longer I think the ERG really made people angry this week.

I reckon the ERG will have done the trick in sufficiently annoying their colleagues and making clear their no surrender strategy that Cooper or similar will get through.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

RobD said:

Assuming that OGH and TSE aren't a) in the same place, and b) that neither of you is in a tent somewhere, their difficulties in communication highlight a problem for (I assume) rural Britain. There are too many places in the UK where WiFi is slow or indeed effectively unavailable, and not necessarily in the 'depths of the country' either. There are places in the Colchester area, for example, with poor broadband service.
  • Options
    The British airline Flybmi has gone bust, cancelling all flights with immediate effect and blaming Brexit as the main cause of its collapse.
  • Options
    Having finally put forward a Brexit strategy, the latest poll suggests the two parties are back level?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

The British airline Flybmi has gone bust, cancelling all flights with immediate effect and blaming Brexit as the main cause of its collapse.

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1097029914702872576
  • Options
    There are another 648 MPs and each bears responsibility for how he or she acts – or doesn’t. The clock would not be running down so dangerously without the active or passive connivance of MPs as a body. A large majority grasp that continuing uncertainty is racking up an ever higher bill in lost investment and relocated jobs. Even if the crash-out scenario doesn’t ultimately materialise, the threat of it is has already forced many companies to make decisions that will be irreversibly damaging to the country’s future prosperity. Business investment has fallen for four consecutive quarters. Most MPs also know that a no-deal outcome threatens to be terrible for many of their constituents. Any parliamentarian capable of reading a calendar can see that we are running horribly short of time to avoid a calamity Brexit. And yet, for a variety of reasons, mainly timidity in the face of this national emergency, the latent majority in the Commons for a non-disastrous outcome has not been willing to act.

..The unkind way to categorise them is as ditherers and cowards.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/17/mrs-may-and-mr-corbyn-are-complicit-in-britains-drift-towards-disaster
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1097029914702872576
    An air service operated by an airline which no longer exists, I see. Now where have I heard of the DfT doing something similar on the water?
  • Options
    F1: Williams wins the First Unreliability Award of 2019.

They're missing the first day of pre-season testing.
  • Options
    Just an aside, but it baffles me that about 9 was available (tipped at the time) on Hamilton exceeding Schumacher's win record (he needs about 20 more victories) but the odds on the Briton winning over 9 this season alone is just under evens.

Wonky odds.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Open Thread! Wow. Does that mean we can talk about anything rather than sticking to the subject?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

Good morning, everyone.

Np, Mr. Smithson. Not quite the same, but I do appreciate the difficulty of posting regularly, and three or more times a day is very regular. Plus the only (to date) article I wrote was informative about the amount of time required to write and edit something that didn't have any dragons or murder in it.

I've done two and each took me about a week to research and write. Doing them is not nothing. I've got another on the go and it's a banger.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Barnesian said:

Open Thread! Wow. Does that mean we can talk about anything rather than sticking to the subject?

That will never catch on.

Yesterday we planted 3 trees in our garden.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Barnesian said:

With OGH and TSE both out of range, I think it probably means today is the day that 48 Labour MPs leave the party.....

• Options
    Mr. Ace, mine was more rambly, it was the editing it down that was time-consuming for me.

I have this irksome word count approach, which sees me ramble endlessly in e-mails and things that need to be concise (short stories etc) but when I need to bulk up a word count for something I became the master of brevity.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Good morning, everyone.

I've done two and each took me about a week to research and write. Doing them is not nothing. I've got another on the go and it's a banger.
    Agreed. They are hard work.
  • Options
    Mr. Barnesian, those interested in history should check out History Marche on Youtube. Only releases videos every few weeks or so, usually, but they're absolutely fantastic. There's a small, ongoing, series on Hannibal, and some unexpected delights too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcRnS-lXhU
  • Options

Barnesian said:

What types?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    IanB2 said:

There are another 648 MPs and each bears responsibility for how he or she acts – or doesn’t. The clock would not be running down so dangerously without the active or passive connivance of MPs as a body. A large majority grasp that continuing uncertainty is racking up an ever higher bill in lost investment and relocated jobs. Even if the crash-out scenario doesn’t ultimately materialise, the threat of it is has already forced many companies to make decisions that will be irreversibly damaging to the country’s future prosperity. Business investment has fallen for four consecutive quarters. Most MPs also know that a no-deal outcome threatens to be terrible for many of their constituents. Any parliamentarian capable of reading a calendar can see that we are running horribly short of time to avoid a calamity Brexit. And yet, for a variety of reasons, mainly timidity in the face of this national emergency, the latent majority in the Commons for a non-disastrous outcome has not been willing to act.

..The unkind way to categorise them is as ditherers and cowards.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/17/mrs-may-and-mr-corbyn-are-complicit-in-britains-drift-towards-disaster

That's so many words to call those Mps, including those wanting extension, recklessly indecisive cowards, that I might almost suspect I wrote it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Barnesian said:

What types?
    A plum, a rowan and a filbert.

The catkins on the filbert look lovely.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Such anarchy that would be!
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, anarchy sounds fitting for political discussion nowadays :p
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2019

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    Very sorry to hear that. Been there got the T shirt. I hope you will get all the support you need from family and friends, and please do not rule out counselling if you feel you need someone outside the family to talk to. It works..../
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Bored with the sober and predictable developments in British politics? Try the Ukraine, where a soap opera star is leading the Presidential election race, ahead of the grey incumbent Poroshenko and the ultra-populist Tymoshenko (who favours halving energy prices):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Ukrainian_presidential_election
  • Options
    To be honest I've always thought Mike should put up an open thread about once a week, just to let us ramble....as we are wont.

Have a nice Sunday everybody. It's gardening for me.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Good morning, everyone.

Meh. My one and only thread took all of 40 minutes to write. I went back into copy deadline mode and it just poured out. It's the same as writing propaganda leaflets for the election. Don't have a deadline and it takes forever. Have a deadline and it's quick.

Have I written my 100 words for my election profile for May yet? No. Do they need my 100 words yet? No...
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    Mr M, that's very sad indeed. Condolences.
  • Options
    Anyway, on topic* I think Brexit is over. We're now seeing the early effects of crash Brexit and they're going to get a lot worse and there's no stopping them. It's like in the film, The Core- we might not light the fact that the Earth's core has stopped spinning, we might disagree with the scientific explanation of what is going to happen (Project fear) but it has happened and we're all going to suffer.

So why worry? Control the controllables.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    Good grief. That's awful. Condolences.
  • Options

Bored with the sober and predictable developments in British politics? Try the Ukraine, where a soap opera star is leading the Presidential election race, ahead of the grey incumbent Poroshenko and the ultra-populist Tymoshenko (who favours halving energy prices):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Ukrainian_presidential_election

That TV star played the role of President in a show called Servant of the People. I love it when art imitates life. I think the same thing occurred with former comic actor Jimmy Morales in Guatemala.

Much commiserations to the ancient mariner.
  • Options
    Mr. Mariner, I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    My sincerest condolences to you.
  • Options

RobD said:

Assuming that OGH and TSE aren't a) in the same place, and b) that neither of you is in a tent somewhere, their difficulties in communication highlight a problem for (I assume) rural Britain. There are too many places in the UK where WiFi is slow or indeed effectively unavailable, and not necessarily in the 'depths of the country' either. There are places in the Colchester area, for example, with poor broadband service.
    Too true. An elderly friend who is still physically active lives on the outskirts of Nottingham (Moorgreen) with NO broadband. She went on a Saga holiday to Africa and among other adventures took a zipwire across a chasm to a mountain hut. She emailed me from there: "THEY'VE got fucking broadband!"
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    My deep sympathy.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    That's awful - deepest sympathies.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

What types?

Very nice. enjoy them.

And until now, I didn't know what a filbert was. So thank you for educating me. That Filbert Street was the home of the nuts.....
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    Very sorry to hear your dreadful news. My deepest condolences.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    What awful news. My condolences.
  • Options

RobD said:

No worries. Our addiction to your delights is our problem, not yours. Enjoy the day off!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    How awful! So sorry to hear this. Condolences.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Brexit: Government must 'get its act together' to prevent panic-buying and civil unrest, officials warn

Authorities ‘playing catch-up’ because of lack of detailed information from government, planner says"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-food-supplies-panic-buying-medicine-london-warning-uk-government-a8778241.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Brexit: Government must 'get its act together' to prevent panic-buying and civil unrest, officials warn

Authorities ‘playing catch-up’ because of lack of detailed information from government, planner says"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-food-supplies-panic-buying-medicine-london-warning-uk-government-a8778241.html

MPs don't care. They only care about not giving in on anything. If they say they do care one need only look at their inflexibility to prove the lie.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Yesterday my wife died.

I am sad and sorry to read that. Strength and best wishes to you.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

The Zelensky situation is truly amazing. The British equivalent would be Nicola Murray becoming PM in the Thick of It then the actor who portrayed her, Rebecca Front, deciding to actually run for PM and being 10 points ahead in the polls with four weeks to go. And we think British politics is fucked.
  • Options

RobD said:

Too true. An elderly friend who is still physically active lives on the outskirts of Nottingham (Moorgreen) with NO broadband. She went on a Saga holiday to Africa and among other adventures took a zipwire across a chasm to a mountain hut. She emailed me from there: "THEY'VE got fucking broadband!"
    It's a 'jam tomorrow' feature of British life, fo those of us with poor service. Some parts of the small town where I live have signs up 'Superfast Broadband is here' but not all, and some people who live near these signs haven't got it either.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Dura_Ace said:

The Zelensky situation is truly amazing. The British equivalent would be Nicola Murray becoming PM in the Thick of It then the actor who portrayed her, Rebecca Front, deciding to actually run for PM and being 10 points ahead in the polls with four weeks to go. And we think British politics is fucked.
    Rebecca would make a great PM. Vote for Rebecca’s Popular Front. 🙃

Now for some hot news from radio 4 broadcasting house (a cross between today and the goon show) The minister responsible for reassuring us not to stockpile has just said no one can guarantee anything. He refused to guarantee there won’t be shortages.

Apparently The problem is, not the country of origin, but the country of processing ready to use. Things are flown into parts of Europe for processing, and driven or shipped into UK. At the same time we can’t talk of country of origin, and can’t use raw things, we can’t process them ourselves without other items. Hence not just fresh food shortages, medicines, but potentially shortages of all processed drink and food, and also fuel shortages, water shortages, blackouts.

To be fair to Raab we can understand his Damascene conversion over Dover Calais now can’t we?
  • Options
    Japanese TV has a graphic of No Deal Brexit

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1097065583873482753
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited February 2019

Barnesian said:

With OGH and TSE both out of range, I think it probably means today is the day that 48 Labour MPs leave the party.....

Both major political parties splinter by noon, Farage replaces Boris as PM before tiffin. And we cap in hand to the IMF at dinner. No supper, asteroid has hit earth

Meanwhile, It’s wrong to say Mays letter a nothing has changed letter, we are that much closer to an abyss and May’s deal is getting more support on that basis. May and her team are actually managing the politics of this very well. If she pulls off a vote for her Chequers deal she remains PM for as many decades she wants to remain PM
  • Options

Japanese TV has a graphic of No Deal Brexit

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1097065583873482753

Loving that wall of fire across the Channel. That may indeed be a concern for cross-border trade.....time to panic buy!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Pulpstar said:

FPT :

They are all at it , Labour are just a bit more hypocritical, the Tories whole reason d'etre is to fill their own pockets , labour claim to be different but are even more nasty and devious.
  • Options
    dots said:

Barnesian said:

Both major political parties splinter by noon, Farage replaces Boris as PM before tiffin. And we cap in hand to the IMF at dinner. No supper, asteroid has hit earth

Meanwhile, It’s wrong to say Mays letter a nothing has changed letter, we are that much closer to an abyss and May’s deal is getting more support on that basis. May and her team are actually managing the politics of this very well. If she pulls off a vote for her Chequers deal she remains PM for as many decades she whispers to remain PM
    Of course what must concern everyone at the top of the parties is that IF the 40-50 members of the ERG resign the Tory whip Labour immediately becomes, at worst, very close to being the largest party.
    It won't matter, I suppose, unless there's a VONC in which ERG abstains.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

LOL, will be excuse of choice for years, any loser will just blame it all on Brexit
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Does Williamson EVER get coffee? He must surely never have been offered a biscuit.....
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    Condolences, very sad news indeed.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    My deepest sympathies.
  • Options

To be honest I've always thought Mike should put up an open thread about once a week, just to let us ramble....as we are wont.

Have a nice Sunday everybody. It's gardening for me.

Chucking it down here, will need to be indoor pursuits for me.
  • Options
    Wow, they really do like their trolling, don't they?

Russian flag hung from Salisbury Cathedral

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/17438785.russian-flag-hung-from-salisbury-cathedral-overnight/
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    If you lack decent broadband in your rural location, blame Ed Vaizey. Utterly out of his depth on anything digital, he was played masterfully by BT and gave them over £1bn to give people in towns and large villages the broadband they needed to watch BT Sport. The so called last 5% of hard to reach villages, hamlets and remote properties were left with nothing other than expensive Satellite broadband that doesn’t work well at all. That’s the 5% that couldn’t be done using BT technology and which were the originally intended target of the Government funding until BT lobbyists got their teeth into Vaizey and the programme was restricted to a target of 95% super fast, i.e. only the ones BT could do. At a stroke this eliminated alternative providers with the technology to reach remote locations.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

What types?

Very nice. enjoy them.

And until now, I didn't know what a filbert was. So thank you for educating me. That Filbert Street was the home of the nuts.....
    Yes very educational.
  • Options
    Mr. 56, cheers for that post excoriating Vaizey. I recall a little about that, but that's the sort of substantial detail that, frankly, the media should be reporting properly, rather than focusing on sensationalism and personalities.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Rexel56 said:

If you lack decent broadband in your rural location, blame Ed Vaizey. Utterly out of his depth on anything digital, he was played masterfully by BT and gave them over £1bn to give people in towns and large villages the broadband they needed to watch BT Sport. The so called last 5% of hard to reach villages, hamlets and remote properties were left with nothing other than expensive Satellite broadband that doesn’t work well at all. That’s the 5% that couldn’t be done using BT technology and which were the originally intended target of the Government funding until BT lobbyists got their teeth into Vaizey and the programme was restricted to a target of 95% super fast, i.e. only the ones BT could do. At a stroke this eliminated alternative providers with the technology to reach remote locations.

I would hardly think that N Essex along the A120 corridor can be categorised as 'hard to reach villages, hamlets and remote'!
    We get 16.34 Mb/s 0.98 Mb/s although there are regular complaints about slower speeds locally.
  • Options

Mr. 56, cheers for that post excoriating Vaizey. I recall a little about that, but that's the sort of substantial detail that, frankly, the media should be reporting properly, rather than focusing on sensationalism and personalities.

It's not just rural. Here in Thornaby-on-Tees I can't get fibre broadband from any Openreach provider. The exchange has been upgraded, but not my local cabinet where Openreach insist there isn't demand. They upgraded neighbouring cabinets but skipped ours. When I asked them years back they told me they surveyed demand before my estate was built. So although they were happy to install a phone line and sell me slow broadband they were also clear that I didn't exist when it came to fibre.

Happily* Virgin media put their fibre in. Because theres no demsnd obviously
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

LOL, will be excuse of choice for years, any loser will just blame it all on Brexit
    The Conservative Party has gone bust, cancelling all meaningful votes with immediate effect and blaming Brexit as the main cause of its collapse
  • Options

By contrast, look at KCOM in Hull who chose to leapfrog the copper wire based broadband that BT have been implementing for the last 10 years and go straight to full fibre to the home. Hull is now rapidly becoming the best connected city with speeds of 200mbs available to consumers. Of course, they hadn’t spent billions on sports rights.

And just to illustrate the lack of joined-up thinking: whilst the DCMS is encouraging community broadband operations like B4RN to fill the gaps in rural provision, the Treasury through HMRC have just withdrawn tax breaks on such start-ups using the new rules on EIS which were meant to stop tax avoidance by non-risk bearing businesses.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The Conservative Party has gone bust, cancelling all meaningful votes with immediate effect and blaming Brexit as the main cause of its collapse
    Has the benefit of being true too.
  • Options

+1. Very illuminating. And my friend does indeed fall back on very expensive and limited satellite broadband.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    We’ve known that the QE was going to the Pacific for ages. There was an interview with the commanding officer when she was in New York that said so. It was just oversold with stupid language by GW. Combined with his awful voice he has no hope of getting the top job
  • Options

+1. Very illuminating. And my friend does indeed fall back on very expensive and limited satellite broadband.
    Read the Public Accounts Committee papers on Broadband Delivery UK; they don’t make comfortable reading for the government.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    My deepest condolences.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

What types?

Further to last night's prolapsing over rhetoric, have you tried watering them with the blood of tyrants & patriots?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    We’ve known that the QE was going to the Pacific for ages. There was an interview with the commanding officer when she was in New York that said so. It was just oversold with stupid language by GW. Combined with his awful voice he has no hope of getting the top job
    Amazing how he got any job with responsibility, he would have trouble tying his shoelaces/ I presume Grayling as the gold standard helps these donkeys to get the jobs.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2019
    Rexel56 said:

Read the Public Accounts Committee papers on Broadband Delivery UK; they don’t make comfortable reading for the government.
    WE have been left out too. BT say "no plans to deliver to us in the near future". I will have moved by the time it comes to my place, and when I move it will be to somewhere that has decent broadband. Funny how BT tests say 4mb download, but if you try and download anything its always at c200kbs...
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

By contrast, look at KCOM in Hull who chose to leapfrog the copper wire based broadband that BT have been implementing for the last 10 years and go straight to full fibre to the home. Hull is now rapidly becoming the best connected city with speeds of 200mbs available to consumers. Of course, they hadn’t spent billions on sports rights.

And just to illustrate the lack of joined-up thinking: whilst the DCMS is encouraging community broadband operations like B4RN to fill the gaps in rural provision, the Treasury through HMRC have just withdrawn tax breaks on such start-ups using the new rules on EIS which were meant to stop tax avoidance by non-risk bearing businesses.
    Hull always did have excellent communications systems, didn't it.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Rexel56 said:

I would hardly think that N Essex along the A120 corridor can be categorised as 'hard to reach villages, hamlets and remote'!
    We get 16.34 Mb/s 0.98 Mb/s although there are regular complaints about slower speeds locally.
    The dire state of the A120 doesn't make for much of a 'corridor'! But that's a different story. Priorities in Colchester seem very confused - ultra high-speed broadband in the town centre and a few new developments while large, established suburban areas put up with mediocre speeds.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

WE have been left out too. BT say "no plans to deliver to us in the near future". I will have moved by the time it comes to my place, and when I move it will be to somewhere that has decent broadband. Funny how BT tests say 4mb download, but if you try and download anything its always at c200kbs...
    It's been a while since I paid attention to speeds (fibre) but from memory is there not an issue that advertised speeds are in megabits per second while your computer shows speeds in kilobytes per second.

4 megabits per second ~ 500 kilobytes per second.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Hello all,

@TheAncientMariner - my condolences for your loss.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Talking about Broadband if you can get a decent mobile signal and your broadband options are dire http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black will likely solve your issues for less than BT charge for a line.

Even if your signal isn't brilliant you can add an external aerial and it would probably work.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Yesterday my wife died.
    I am very sorry to hear that. Deepest condolences.

• Options

Barnesian said:

What types?

Very nice. enjoy them.

I have no idea where I heard this, but here it is...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hEA-lJ-94gg
This discussion has been closed.