Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour needs a better response than the TIGers should resign a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited February 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour needs a better response than the TIGers should resign and fight by-elections

If LAB had demanded that Jared O'Mara quit his Sheffield Hallam seat then its calls for the seven to resign and have by-elections would carry more weight.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    And I have not put on the central heating today for the first time since October

Spring on the way perhaps and everyone's Brexit will soon all be agreed amicably !!!!!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    But two of those four examples - on the same topic, but in reverse - have come quite recently.
  • Options
    Every time I look at the broadcast media there is only Chris Williamson commenting, usually demanding by elections.

Is it me but are many labour mps avoiding the media at present, even plotting
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Similary, Labour currently run Dudley council because of a defection - and didn't call for a council by-election then.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Every time I look at the broadcast media there is only Chris Williamson commenting, usually demanding by elections.

The more the people see of Williamson, the more Labour slide in the polls....

Keep his diary full of media apppointments, please.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Shaun Woodward should have called a by-election in Witney, just for a laugh.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @ydoethur

FPT - on advanced notice if someone can demonstrate they have made reasonable efforts to provide notice (eg writing to last known address and asking a known communicant to pass the information on) then the courts will often seem that sufficient

Otherwise you get the farce of writs needing to be served in person that you sometimes see
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If Mr. Woodward had not switched and created a vacancy in Witney at GE2001 then Cameron might never have been elected leader and PM - and we might never have had Brexit
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    edited February 2019
    It's perfectly natural for Labour to wish to destroy this threat to them before it has chance to grow (and if they didn't think it had potential to threaten them they wouldn't be trying to crush it at birth). It's also perfectly natural (and reasonable) for TIG MPs to want time to build something solid enough to put to the electorate before actually putting it to the electorate. As for the Conservatives - they've calculated that TIG will hurt Labour more than it'll hurt them so they're happy to lose a few fingers and toes so long as Labour loses whole limbs.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    They all won comfortably in 2015 under a centre-left leader as well, so there's no real ideological reason for them to hold a by-election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Artist said:

They all won comfortably in 2015 under a centre-left leader as well, so there's no real ideological reason for them to hold a by-election.

But thy also stood under the 2017 manifesto....
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    edited February 2019
    The trouble with the Labour line-to-take on "hold a by election" is that it only has traction with those who hate the defectors anyway - who you don't need to address. In fact, it is the only completely irrelevant audience to craft a message towards.

You might want to appeal to the defectors to come back. You might want to reassure like minded potential defectors that there is no need to follow them out. You might want to reassure Labour voters that the problem has been recognised, and is being solved, and/or that the party will do something concrete to make itself more electable, in spite of the split.

The "hold a by election" line is utterly useless for winning over any of those audiences. It is positively counterproductive for most of them.

It shows a high level of political ineptitude and self indulgence that this is the Corbyn team response - and it is notable that it was not the John McDonnell response.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

tlg86 said:

If Mr. Woodward had not switched and created a vacancy in Witney at GE2001 then Cameron might never have been elected leader and PM - and we might never have had Brexit
    If William Hague hadn't led the Tories towards the Eurosceptic and illiberal fringe, Shaun Woodward might not have defected.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

tlg86 said:

If William Hague hadn't led the Tories towards the Eurosceptic and illiberal fringe, Shaun Woodward might not have defected.
    If Camilla Sainsbury hadn’t got knocked up he wouldn’t have had the money to defect...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If all the MPs who voted against Corbyn during the great Labour Revolt we could have a leader without a party which would be interesting. It wuld at least show the flaw in Labour's election procedure
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

tlg86 said:

It's not infeasible that a centrist could take Witney at some point, and I'm not the only local to think so:

https://twitter.com/isabeloakeshott/status/789391672148799488

Liz Leffman isn't standing next time round as it happens, but if TIG were to put up a candidate, who knows what might transpire...
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries says only one member of the ERG actually wants to leave with no deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47334575/brexit-nadine-dorries-on-erg-members-backing-pm-s-deal
  • Options

Keep his diary full of media apppointments, please.
    I think it's the other way round: the more Labour slide in the polls, the more that Williamson is the only Labour MP prepared to go on TV?
  • Options
    JenS said:

The trouble with the Labour line-to-take on "hold a by election" is that it only has traction with those who hate the defectors anyway - who you don't need to address. In fact, it is the only completely irrelevant audience to craft a message towards.

You might want to appeal to the defectors to come back. You might want to reassure like minded potential defectors that there is no need to follow them out. You might want to reassure Labour voters that the problem has been recognised, and is being solved, and/or that the party will do something concrete to make itself more electable, in spite of the split.

The "hold a by election" line is utterly useless for winning over any of those audiences. It is positively counterproductive for most of them.

It shows a high level of political ineptitude and self indulgence that this is the Corbyn team response - and it is notable that it was not the John McDonnell response.

One of the recent polls found that the public did think, by something like two-to-one, that the MPs should fight by-elections, but while that might back Labour's position, I'd also file it under "issues the public really don't give a toss about but will answer if you shove a clipboard under their nose".
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    All these hard remainers who have joined the New Remain party want a second referendum.

Any of them put themselves up for the vote yet ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

JenS said:

One of the recent polls found that the public did think, by something like two-to-one, that the MPs should fight by-elections, but while that might back Labour's position, I'd also file it under "issues the public really don't give a toss about but will answer if you shove a clipboard under their nose".
    Indeed. Just like Brexit.
  • Options

It's perfectly natural for Labour to wish to destroy this threat to them before it has chance to grow (and if they didn't think it had potential to threaten them they wouldn't be trying to crush it at birth). It's also perfectly natural (and reasonable) for TIG MPs to want time to build something solid enough to put to the electorate before actually putting it to the electorate. As for the Conservatives - they've calculated that TIG will hurt Labour more than it'll hurt them so they're happy to lose a few fingers and toes so long as Labour loses whole limbs.

The best TIG argument against by-elections (right now) is that it'd take them all out of the Commons at the precise moment that they have maximum leverage on the most important question to them and to the country. Obviously, that argument has an expiry date but by then, the heat might have gone out of the issue.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

The best TIG argument against by-elections (right now) is that it'd take them all out of the Commons at the precise moment that they have maximum leverage on the most important question to them and to the country. Obviously, that argument has an expiry date but by then, the heat might have gone out of the issue.
    Whatever the optics, they would be mad to chance losing their seats right now. They hold what might be the greatest leverage they ever will and a few more of them will see a formal meeting at No.10 to discuss options.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Fingers and toes is a rather flattering metaphor for what the Tories lost so far. I'd liken it more to getting rid of a bunion.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Indeed.

You'd imagine Labour would try keep him away from the media. The problem is ...... he's just saying what Corbyn's thinking.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Nadine Dorries says only one member of the ERG actually wants to leave with no deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47334575/brexit-nadine-dorries-on-erg-members-backing-pm-s-deal

Is it Anne Marie Morris ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Lead could do with a proof reading.
  • Options

And I have not put on the central heating today for the first time since October

Spring on the way perhaps and everyone's Brexit will soon all be agreed amicably !!!!!

It was 18C in Aberdeenshire yesterday.

In his temperature scale, Isaac Newton in 1701 defined 6 degrees Newton as "the heat at midday about the month of July". Six degrees Newton is just over 18C.
  • Options

Maybe there are just way too many that Labour can't risk putting up?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

At some point (in the very near future) they need to actually vote for either the deal on the table or admit it's a bad job and suggest we revoke and try again...
  • Options
    On topic, as far as I can tell, there is only one other instance of a defector to Labour resigning to recontest the seat, in addition to the Preston by-election Mike quotes: the Hull by-election in 1926, when Joseph Kenworthy defected from the Liberals (and held the seat at the by-election).

There are several other pre-WW2 examples of MPs from other parties doing likewise but it's still pretty rare.
  • Options

The rest in their hearts don't really want to leave at all?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    eek said:

At some point (in the very near future) they need to actually vote for either the deal on the table or admit it's a bad job and suggest we revoke and try again...
    Because the EU is going to be far more likely to give us a better deal after having wasted 2 years on the current one...
  • Options

In his temperature scale, Isaac Newton in 1701 defined 6 degrees Newton as "the heat at midday about the month of July". Six degrees Newton is just over 18C.
    The wonder of a fohn wind.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

JenS said:

There's an online petition with around 100,000 signatures for by-elections in Tigger seats, so some public awareness and support.
  • Options
    The call by Jeremy Corbyn to include a provision in the next manifesto making it easier for constituencies to ask for a recall when MPs change parties was not just calculated to stiffen the resolve of other potential defectors but profoundly silly. By that stage the horses would have bolted. It would give rise to absolutely no consequences for the current batch of defectors, who if re-elected at the next general election would already have refreshed their mandate.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

There are two stunning bets on offer right now on BF exchange:

- lay Corbyn as PM after May at 7.8
    - lay a no deal exit on 29/3 at 5.0 (out from 4.4 just a few hours ago)

Just curious about why you think laying the No Deal would be good value.

Do we have any tangible evidence that the EU will agree an extension if there is still deadlock in the Commons?
    I always believed that May would never go for no deal. It's the worst legacy in history for any PM. And she promised business she would never go there, two years back.

Subsequently, she has clearly been motivated the most by holding her beloved Tory party together, rather than delivering the best outcome for the country (otherwise she would have bitten Corbyn's hand off for his CU proposal). Now, it is obvious that 'no deal' will destroy the Tory party, not withstanding its impact on the country.

Therefore the BF bet is hugely attractive. Especially as it is tied to 29th March.
    Thanks. I just wondered whether anything had changed in the last day or so. Obviously the odds have changed quite a bit. I'm not sure why.

I have a bet on No Deal, but essentially as an insurance policy. I'll be very happy if I lose the bet (provided No Deal doesn't materialise in May).
    If you fancy adding to your insurance policy, I will happily take the other side of the bet.
    No, I don't want to add to it, thanks. But I don't think 20% is obviously too high a probability for No Deal next month, either.

Do you foresee an extension even if the Commons hasn't approved the deal by 29 March?
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, Corbyn: reacting to yesterday's crisis tomorrow.
  • Options
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Do we have any tangible evidence that the EU will agree an extension if there is still deadlock in the Commons?
    I always believed that May would never go for no deal. It's the worst legacy in history for any PM. And she promised business she would never go there, two years back.

Subsequently, she has clearly been motivated the most by holding her beloved Tory party together, rather than delivering the best outcome for the country (otherwise she would have bitten Corbyn's hand off for his CU proposal). Now, it is obvious that 'no deal' will destroy the Tory party, not withstanding its impact on the country.

Therefore the BF bet is hugely attractive. Especially as it is tied to 29th March.
    Thanks. I just wondered whether anything had changed in the last day or so. Obviously the odds have changed quite a bit. I'm not sure why.

I have a bet on No Deal, but essentially as an insurance policy. I'll be very happy if I lose the bet (provided No Deal doesn't materialise in May).
    If you fancy adding to your insurance policy, I will happily take the other side of the bet.
    No, I don't want to add to it, thanks. But I don't think 20% is obviously too high a probability for No Deal next month, either.

Do you foresee an extension even if the Commons hasn't approved the deal by 29 March?
    For sure. Or revocation. May can't risk no deal. Especially after all the promises she's made. No PM could.
  • Options
  • Options

The call by Jeremy Corbyn to include a provision in the next manifesto making it easier for constituencies to ask for a recall when MPs change parties was not just calculated to stiffen the resolve of other potential defectors but profoundly silly. By that stage the horses would have bolted. It would give rise to absolutely no consequences for the current batch of defectors, who if re-elected at the next general election would already have refreshed their mandate.

Ironically it would deter them from rejoining. So who says Corbyn doesn't think well ahead?
  • Options

True, but if he did get into government and enact this, it would allow the Labour whips to threaten any refuseniks with being chucked out of the party and having therefore to defend a by-election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Not with a southerly wind to the south of the mountains I would have thought.
  • Options
    Three months? Who on earth is looking that far ahead?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

There's no other way Aberdeenshire gets to 18 C in February. Must be a descending airflow off the Cairngorms.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

JenS said:

There's an online petition with around 100,000 signatures for by-elections in Tigger seats, so some public awareness and support.
    A number which I imagine has a sizable overlap with the Momentum keyboard army. Meanwhile, in the real world ...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

For sure. Or revocation. May can't risk no deal. Especially after all the promises she's made. No PM could.
    But what I meant was do you foresee the other countries agreeing to the request, if parliament is still deadlocked?
  • Options

They even suggest she should go out "on a high" after the local elections! :lol:
  • Options
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

But what I meant was do you foresee the other countries agreeing to the request, if parliament is still deadlocked?
    Absolutely. Why wouldn't they?
  • Options

Timescales, huh. I wrote this 12 days ago:

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/02/10/crossing-the-rubicon/

It feels like half a lifetime ago now.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It's not infeasible that a centrist could take Witney at some point, and I'm not the only local to think so:

Liz Leffman isn't standing next time round as it happens, but if TIG were to put up a candidate, who knows what might transpire...
    She fell back, relative to the by-election, at GE2017.

• Options

TudorRose said:

JenS said:

A number which I imagine has a sizable overlap with the Momentum keyboard army. Meanwhile, in the real world ...
    I think some of it is driven by Leave/UKIP supporters wanting to reduce the chances of a second referendum. Strange bedfellows...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Well quite - they don't want her negotiating the next phase of talks with the EU- time for a fresh vision.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

To force a decision?
  • Options

True, but if he did get into government and enact this, it would allow the Labour whips to threaten any refuseniks with being chucked out of the party and having therefore to defend a by-election.
    Doesn't that just encourage current wobblers to go now?
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Lets just say that the law changed to force a by election. Potential defectors then just wouldnt defect - they would just ignore the whip and do their own thing. Like ERG.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    And i dont remember Labour in Welsh Assembly insisting on a byelection when Dafydd Ellis Thomas defected to them. Just a bunch of whingeing bad losers.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

tlg86 said:

Indeed. There was very little Lib Dem campaigning in Witney for GE2017 because it wasn't a target seat and all local resources had been diverted to OxWAb, and the Lib Dem organisation locally isn't strong enough to win the seat for the foreseeable.

But the seat's demographics are changing, becoming more urban and within the ambit of Oxford - which reduces the Tories' two advantages (the rural areas and Carterton's loyalty to the military). In 10/15 years' time I don't expect it to be such a safe seat.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

To force a decision?
    No deal is a failure to make a decision.

They'd rather increase the chances of a sensible eventual decision.

The only scenario where you might have a point is if they are sure we would blink and revoke, if denied the chance to delay. high stakes, that.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Well, a number of people within the EU have said they wouldn't. Verhofstadt said an extension beyond the Euro-elections was "unthinkable", for example.

I suppose it depends whether you think they're willing to carry on extending the timetable indefinitely for no particular reason. If not, the line has to be drawn somewhere.

As a barrack-room European head of government, I can see an argument for the Council declaring next month that an extension will be dependent on the deal passing the Commons by 29 March.
  • Options

Doesn't that just encourage current wobblers to go now?
    In principle, yes, if they take it seriously. But I imagine whether any would-be defectors will be much more influenced by immediate concerns and whether or not Corbyn shows any signs of addressing them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Well quite - they don't want her negotiating the next phase of talks with the EU- time for a fresh vision.

I think this is a really key point. Assuming TM's deal gets through in some form over the coming weeks/months the real negotiating has only just begun with the EU. I would hope (perhaps unreasonably) that the Government would have learnt from the current experience that you need to have the right plan and the right person in place.

But don't ask me who that might be....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

I think this is a really key point. Assuming TM's deal gets through in some form over the coming weeks/months the real negotiating has only just begun with the EU. I would hope (perhaps unreasonably) that the Government would have learnt from the current experience that you need to have the right plan and the right person in place.

Whoever it is will be blamed for going native and turning out to be a closet Remoaner who gave in on everything.

You may bookmark this post.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TudorRose said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Chris said:

IanB2 said:

To force a decision?
    No deal is a failure to make a decision.

They'd rather increase the chances of a sensible eventual decision.

The only scenario where you might have a point is if they are sure we would blink and revoke, if denied the chance to delay. high stakes, that.
    I think they believe that the HoC will take May's deal if push comes to shove. None of them want prolonged uncertainty because of their own domestic economic and political pressures.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Gove with Cummings back as Chief of Staff/EU strategist.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2019

They even suggest she should go out "on a high" after the local elections! :lol:
    And if the PM does not retire, then the same senior ministers might, just might, no-confidence her at the end of the year.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,494
    IanB2 said:

One more reason why TMs deal will eventually go through. By mid March the fig leaf required will be small and thin, but it'll do. Lots of Labour will abstain 'to prevent crashing out apocalypse' or some such. The story will then move on quite quickly to the next even more sticky phase.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

eek said:

Because the EU is going to be far more likely to give us a better deal after having wasted 2 years on the current one...
    Given that the backstop ain't going nowhere, a "better deal" can only be a softer one. The ERG know this, and are prepared to force the country towards No Deal. Therefore it's up to the rest of parliament to thwart them. I think any delay or revocation will only be to get the current WA agreed by parliament, or if the ERG aren't careful, a softer WA that includes a de jure customs union (instead of the de facto one implied by the backstop).
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited February 2019
    deleted
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

There's no other way Aberdeenshire gets to 18 C in February. Must be a descending airflow off the Cairngorms.
    It was reported as just that on weather
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

One more reason why TMs deal will eventually go through. By mid March the fig leaf required will be small and thin, but it'll do. Lots of Labour will abstain 'to prevent crashing out apocalypse' or some such. The story will then move on quite quickly to the next even more sticky phase.
    You need to factor in that it's not a one-off vote. They have to approve the deal in the meaningful vote, and then pass the legislation, most likely after an extension, and the legislation could reopen the whole controversy about what precisely we're agreeing to.
  • Options
    The (re-tread) story about May going in the summer is clearly being deliberately leaked to encourage the recalcitrant to back the deal.

Mind you, I've long thought that she'll go this year.
  • Options
    Councillor defections this week so far:

Brighton - Lab to Con
    Brighton - Lab (former council leader) to IND
    Derby - Lab to IND
    Guildford - Con to IND
    Kingston - LD to Green
    Stafford - Lab to IND
    Swindon - Lab to IND
    W Somerset - Con to LD
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

tlg86 said:

Indeed. There was very little Lib Dem campaigning in Witney for GE2017 because it wasn't a target seat and all local resources had been diverted to OxWAb, and the Lib Dem organisation locally isn't strong enough to win the seat for the foreseeable.

But the seat's demographics are changing, becoming more urban and within the ambit of Oxford - which reduces the Tories' two advantages (the rural areas and Carterton's loyalty to the military). In 10/15 years' time I don't expect it to be such a safe seat.
    Libdem conference in Scotland has managed to get about 60 attendees in a 700 capacity hall, surprised that many are there.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Whatever the optics, they would be mad to chance losing their seats right now. They hold what might be the greatest leverage they ever will and a few more of them will see a formal meeting at No.10 to discuss options.
    And to be fair I don't see why they should. They were elected as individual representatives and much as I disagree with every one of them on the main issue of the day, they should not be bound by the party system to stand down.

It is different if you are an MEP who was elected on a party slate. In that instance I think the law should be changed so you are forced to stand down.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

No candidate really makes sense as next PM to negotiate the next phase, because it is impossible to think of someone who believes that the outcome they will inherit is the best possible option in the best of all possible worlds. The great majority of candidates have queered their own pitch (Boris, DD and others) and the rest are mostly people who think this was a terrible idea anyway (Hammond and others). Which would, to be fair, make Gove the pick of the bunch. But, and it is a big but, there are millions of people who don't like him at all. I think they are wrong but it makes no difference. He is widely hated. While he could beat Labour in in GE under JC that would also be true of Alan Partridge with Harry Worth as deputy. But he won't be facing JC in 2022.

(BTW the people who would really scare me if I was up against them and trying to win an election would be Heidi Allen and Luciana Berger).

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Really interesting long read on O’Rourke’s Texas campaign:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/02/22/beto-orourke-campaign-strategy-2020-225193

Next time round it could be considerably more efficient, having learned from beginner mistakes - and as he’d have the cash to scale up much earlier...
  • Options

It is different if you are an MEP who was elected on a party slate. In that instance I think the law should be changed so you are forced to stand down.

After 29th March, that will be exclusively an EU concern, not ours.....
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

No candidate really makes sense as next PM to negotiate the next phase, because it is impossible to think of someone who believes that the outcome they will inherit is the best possible option in the best of all possible worlds. The great majority of candidates have queered their own pitch (Boris, DD and others) and the rest are mostly people who think this was a terrible idea anyway (Hammond and others). Which would, to be fair, make Gove the pick of the bunch. But, and it is a big but, there are millions of people who don't like him at all. I think they are wrong but it makes no difference. He is widely hated. While he could beat Labour in in GE under JC that would also be true of Alan Partridge with Harry Worth as deputy. But he won't be facing JC in 2022.

(BTW the people who would really scare me if I was up against them and trying to win an election would be Heidi Allen and Luciana Berger).

Leadsome?

Or argue you need a proven business person in charge to negotiate and go with Hunt.

I think Allen's star has fallen following the footage of her comments about Brexit at the 2017 election.
  • Options

After 29th March, that will be exclusively an EU concern, not ours.....
    Because there can't be any by-elections with the main event so close?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

Maybe there are just way too many that Labour can't risk putting up?
    Is it because he's about the only Corbynite cult member who isn't on the front bench so to avoid having a front bencher potentially inflame things there is little choice out there from the backbenches to speak for the cult?

[not worded that well but hopefully get the point]
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    May going as a quid pro quo for supporting her deal seems essential. No way she should be within a million miles of the trade agreements. Ditto Robbins.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

He would have had 3 years of being PM to offer at the GE - if he's been decent he would win no matter who Labour put up - they have little talent and most of that will be in the Tiggers within a month.

• Options

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Whoever it is will be blamed for going native and turning out to be a closet Remoaner who gave in on everything.

You may bookmark this post.
    Only if they do.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Looked at as an academic exercise, May's WA is probably the perfect (!) compromise, given the extremes of opinion on the subject. The trouble (as so often with compromises) is that everyone hates something about it. Also, she sold it so very badly at the outset, allowing the narrative to be set by the knockers. And we need to factor in that Corbyn has his eyes on an election and Number 10. So her policy of leading parliament to the edge of the cliff and daring them not to approve it, while it could/should work, is doomed. My money is the Noes having it, even if the meaningful vote is on 29 March itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    TudorRose said:

algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Leadsome?

Or argue you need a proven business person in charge to negotiate and go with Hunt.

I think Allen's star has fallen following the footage of her comments about Brexit at the 2017 election.
    Personally I don't think Andrea Leadsom is PM material - and I think that became clear last time. So, No.
    As to Heidi Allen, no politician survives scrutiny of their past in one sense. Some are good at overcoming it. I suspect that HA possibly has that elusive star quality. Whether she could now have chance to shine if off course a different question.
    Hunt was a remainer, so No.

• Options
    FPT:

Reminds me of Farage when he repeated a well known anti-Semitic trope.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1098877152416722944

I'm glad I'm not in the situation of having anything public to declare about any family, but to my mind, it cannot be right to censor references that in other circumstances would be valid and in the public interest to make. I believe the same about criticism of the State of Israel. There is no doubt that a lot of such criticism is motivated by anti semitism, but surely no country (or organisation, or individual, or family if the family's decisions have wide reaching effects) can or should be immune from scrutiny. Apart from anything else, it is very unfair to the supposed beneficiaries of such censorship, as it has the potential to put them in an invidious position.
  • Options
    F1: been a fire in the McLaren garage. Three staff members treated in hospital, believe they've all been released.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

TudorRose said:

algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Leadsome?

Personally I don't think Andrea Leadsom is PM material - and I think that became clear last time. So, No.
    As to Heidi Allen, no politician survives scrutiny of their past in one sense. Some are good at overcoming it. I suspect that HA possibly has that elusive star quality. Whether she could now have chance to shine if off course a different question.

Thatcher wasn't either. Until she was.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited February 2019
    On topic, I was probably too absorbed by painfully unobtainable girls and the latest Clash album at the time to pay attention, but when the the SDP was formed how did Labour react? Squeals of betrayal or pained introspection?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Really interesting long read on O’Rourke’s Texas campaign:
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/02/22/beto-orourke-campaign-strategy-2020-225193

Next time round it could be considerably more efficient, having learned from beginner mistakes - and as he’d have the cash to scale up much earlier...

:+1:

Really interesting article. Long though.

Will he run?

I'm pretty sure now that Biden will, if Sanders is in the race.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

TudorRose said:

algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Leadsome?

If Andrea Leadsom was Mrs Thatcher she would have beaten TM last time. MT took her chances.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

TudorRose said:

algarkirk said:

TGOHF said:

TudorRose said:

TGOHF said:

Leadsome?

If Andrea Leadsom was Mrs Thatcher she would have beaten TM last time. MT took her chances.

But also had Airey Neave fixing a lot of things for her.
This discussion has been closed.