Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is serious about a second referendum it must seek a 6+

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If LAB is serious about a second referendum it must seek a 6+ month A50 extension

Enthusiastic it was not. The Labour leadership finally adopting the policy set out at Conference of seeking a second referendum, now that a general election is not a viable means of stopping Brexit, came with all the keenness of toddler being encouraged to eat spinach. Even now, Corbyn is happy to mix notional support for a referendum with ‘other solutions’ being on the table.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    edited March 2019
    First.

I don't think Labour is serious about holding one, yet alone 'winning' it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    edited March 2019
    Second, like Remain.

IMO a short extension, up until June, could only happen if the Treaty is fully ratified from the UK side before 29th March. Otherwise there's the risk of us still being in the EU on 1st July but not having held the MEP elections.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611

First.

Sandpit said:

Second, like Remain.

What they wrote....
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Question on the timing: When TMay mentioned letting parliament vote on an extension she announced her intention to play silly buggers with the timing to screw up the EU elections if they tried to have a further extension after the first one. Presumably the EU won't go along with this, but is this actually reflected in anything concrete, like the amendment parliament passed the other day?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Second, like Remain.

IMO a short extension, up until June, could only happen if the Treaty is fully ratified from the UK side before 29th March. Otherwise there's the risk of us still being in the EU on 1st July but not having held the MEP elections.

Yup, so from the EU's end it probably makes sense to say, "You can have an extension up to June if you pass the deal by next Thursday, but otherwise it's 2 years or nothing". This should also help concentrate the minds of pro-Brexit Tories, who are the most obvious source of additional votes for the deal.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    What would the purpose of this referendum ? Lots of potential choices for questions

Same question as last time ? If so what if the people say leave again, just wasted 6 months and no further forward, still got a deal that's unacceptable.

I sense some people might like deal versus remain, but can you really give the British people a binary choice between something they've already rejected and something that went down to a historical defeat in parliament (presumably twice at this point) ?

Maybe a two question vote, leave / remain followed by if leave deal or no deal ?

Neither leader wants this and I suspect the public are weary of the whole thing, dragging it out for another 9 months seems unlikely
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Sandpit said:

Second, like Remain.

Yup, so from the EU's end it probably makes sense to say, "You can have an extension up to June if you pass the deal by next Thursday, but otherwise it's 2 years or nothing". This should also help concentrate the minds of pro-Brexit Tories, who are the most obvious source of additional votes for the deal.
    That's a mighty big bluff, a two year extension would be unpalatable to the Tory party, Mrs May could well no deal at this point. Short of VONC'ing her with a number of tories voting against her, could the HoC really stop her if this goes very late and she says no to a 2 year extension.

• Options

What would the purpose of this referendum ? Lots of potential choices for questions

Same question as last time ? If so what if the people say leave again, just wasted 6 months and no further forward, still got a deal that's unacceptable.

I sense some people might like deal versus remain, but can you really give the British people a binary choice between something they've already rejected and something that went down to a historical defeat in parliament (presumably twice at this point) ?

Maybe a two question vote, leave / remain followed by if leave deal or no deal ?

Neither leader wants this and I suspect the public are weary of the whole thing, dragging it out for another 9 months seems unlikely

If you wanted No Deal as an option and were ok using two rounds you'd want to do the "what is brexit" question first and the "do it or not" question second, rather than having another vote on Remain vs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, even though you're only a week or whatever away from knowing what ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is.

But I doubt there's a constituency in parliament for a No Deal option, since not many people favour No Deal and the people who do strongly oppose another vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Sandpit said:

Second, like Remain.

That's a mighty big bluff, a two year extension would be unpalatable to the Tory party, Mrs May could well no deal at this point. Short of VONC'ing her with a number of tories voting against her, could the HoC really stop her if this goes very late and she says no to a 2 year extension.
    The UK could pass TMay's deal and exit early any time, the length of the extension is really just a question of how soon you want your artificial crisis. Once you're past the elections everyone knows that one extension would just be followed by another one, so I'm not really clear who benefits from having a fake cliff edge every 3 months.

But maybe you're right and TMay really does care enough about keeping up this pretence to blow up her own economy, in which case they might want to do 6 months and go from there.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    There are two parties in this though, are there not, and I'm prepared to bet that the EU Commission and the 27 Heads of Government are mightily p'd off with British, and especially T May's, messing about and stilly-shallying.
    And asking for another extension is only going to make matters worse. At what point are sufficient of the 27 going to say...... OK, let them go. Tell them the deal is stay properly or they're out on WTO terms?

And what do we do then?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Times March 2047

Today PM Theresa May to mark the 30th anniversary of the start of Brexit negotiations announces a final three month extension and a new vote in her deal. “400th time is a charm” said the veteran PM and Nobel prize winner for can kicking.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Jonathan said:

The Times March 2047

Today PM Theresa May to mark the 30th anniversary of the start of Brexit negotiations announces a final three month extension and a new vote in her deal. “400th time is a charm” said the veteran PM and Nobel prize winner for can kicking.

Year 32 of Tory rule? Sounds good :D
  • Options
    edited March 2019

There are two parties in this though, are there not, and I'm prepared to bet that the EU Commission and the 27 Heads of Government are mightily p'd off with British, and especially T May's, messing about and stilly-shallying.
    And asking for another extension is only going to make matters worse. At what point are sufficient of the 27 going to say...... OK, let them go. Tell them the deal is stay properly or they're out on WTO terms?

And what do we do then?

I don't really see why they'd do that. They want the UK to be in the EU because it's good for their citizens and businesses, who get to trade and move across borders without a lot of stupid bureaucracy. These benefits last for as long as the UK stays in the EU. Meanwhile business investment is gradually draining into other EU states, which if good if you're another EU state. So generally speaking, it would be fine for everyone for the UK to sit around the exit lobby indefinitely. It's definitely better than a No Deal exit, which us terrible for the UK and Ireland but also pretty bad for everyone else.

The catch is that you need unanimity, so if you're doing 3-monthly extensions there's always the risk that one day Salvini or Orban will try to use the UK as a hostage in some unrelated dispute with the rest of the EU. I think this is a good reason to prefer a longer extension, unless you're the guy who plans to do that.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

And what do we do then?

The EU27 might be fed up but however much they'd be tempted to cut as loose, realpolitik suggests they are quite happy to take our money, though might want to add conditions and seek concessions. Negotiating deals, on the best terms possible, is what the EU does for a living.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    Thank you gentlemen. I suspect the Salvini/Orbamn option is the most likely, but I also suspect that you're right and the Commission will do it's best to keep us on board.
  • Options
    One other way to handle this might be that the EU make the extension conditional on the UK making preparations for the elections, then let the UK pick the extension period. Presumably there's nothing to stop the UK planning elections with the proviso, "if we're confirmed out by the time the election rolls around, they're off".
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

First.

Brexit is a battle that has gone on too long. No longer does anyone think positively, all that is desired is to survive and to stand on the corpses of their opponents as the smoke clears, surveying the burning ruins of a cursed victory.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Foxy said:

First.

Brexit is a battle that has gone on too long. No longer does anyone think positively, all that is desired is to survive and to stand on the corpses of their opponents as the smoke clears, surveying the burning ruins of a cursed victory.
    And not to get the blame. It’s all about the blame game.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Negotiating deals, on the best terms possible, at one minute to midnight, is what the EU does for a living.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    All part of a theme of today’s politics, which is that party policy on both sides is being increasingly set by those who are not the nominal leaders.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan said:

The Times March 2047

.........ITV 1985 Dominic Raab sets out the ERG manifesto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiGLSy-1zU&list=RDxeiGLSy-1zU&index=1
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    The same people pushing for a 6+month extension would be the same ones telling us that the uncertainty around Brexit costs the UK jobs.

We have a deal with the EU. Just stop fannying around and sign the bloody thing, Parliament. Then elect a PM who would have the wherewithall to get medieval on their asses - once we are on the outside. That way we can all start forgetting the sorry episode that was the Theresa May premiership....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Not sure its about the blame game anymore. Labour have split into three different groupings, you can hear the tearing apart noises in Sussex.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590

All part of a theme of today’s politics, which is that party policy on both sides is being increasingly set by those who are not the nominal leaders.

I am not convinced that either main party has a policy anymore.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2019
    Me edmund,

"One other way to handle this might be that the EU make the extension conditional on the UK making preparations for the elections,"

That phrase … " ... the EU make the extension conditional on the UK making preparations for the elections,"

Obey your orders? that will go down well.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Will a joint interpretative instrument be enough . That is within the EU Canada deal and does have legal force .

It seems that both sides lay out what the deal means and their responsibilities . But there won’t be a time limit or unilateral exit mechanism .

Not sure who enforces the JII . The key though is the AG changing his legal advice . If that happens I’d expect a lot of the rebels to fall into line but still how many will vote for the deal.

The only thing that will get the rebels in line is the real threat of a second EU ref . Currently there’s not the numbers for that .

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

First.

Labour has shifted from pretending to be Brexit to pretending to be Remain.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821

Not sure its about the blame game anymore. Labour have split into three different groupings, you can hear the tearing apart noises in Sussex.

One of Labour's problems at present stems from the way the deputy leader is chosen, i.e. independently from the leader. The trouble-maker Watson (who has form for sedition) needs to be dispatched and replaced by a Corbynite. His latest action has correctly been called out by the party secretary Formby.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

I am not convinced that either main party has a policy anymore.
    More an agenda than a policy. They all want to be leader
  • Options
    MrXMrX Posts: 12
    What's everyone's odds on (assuming May's deal and no deal are voted down) us extending?

I've heard rumblings from the EU that Macron will say non, rumours of concessions on Gibraltar, etc. What are the odds that May will come back from Europe and say "you told me to ask, I asked, but there will be no extension?"
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    CD13 said:

Me edmund,

"One other way to handle this might be that the EU make the extension conditional on the UK making preparations for the elections,"

That phrase … " ... the EU make the extension conditional on the UK making preparations for the elections,"

Obey your orders? that will go down well.

Wouldn't it be more a question of "Complying with our treaty obligations in return for your helping us get out of this appalling mess we've got ourselves into through our own stupidity"?
  • Options
    Mr B2,

"Labour has shifted from pretending to be Brexit to pretending to be Remain."

The leadership has, but they're focussed on winning power and nothing else. They have a chasm between the young metropolitan members and the Northern voters they're trying to keep on board.

A quantum superposition is only possible when it is not being analysed/measured.
  • Options
    Macron is just shooting his mouth off. If the UK wants a couple of months if will get it. But whether May uses that time to reach across the house properly is unlikely .
  • Options
    MrX said:

What's everyone's odds on (assuming May's deal and no deal are voted down) us extending?

I've heard rumblings from the EU that Macron will say non, rumours of concessions on Gibraltar, etc. What are the odds that May will come back from Europe and say "you told me to ask, I asked, but there will be no extension?"

Unless it is merely a short extension to tie up the threads of a signed deal, I expect at least one of the EU27 to say "non", so that will be that, given that all 27 would have to agree an extension. Macron might very well be the man, given French contempt for perfidious Albion.
  • Options
    Mr Chris,

Insulting the voters isn't always the best way to gain those votes.
  • Options
    daodao said:

One of Labour's problems at present stems from the way the deputy leader is chosen, i.e. independently from the leader. The trouble-maker Watson (who has form for sedition) needs to be dispatched and replaced by a Corbynite. His latest action has correctly been called out by the party secretary Formby.
    I think that's right. However bad many of us think Corbyn is Watson is infinitely worse
  • Options

The same people pushing for a 6+month extension would be the same ones telling us that the uncertainty around Brexit costs the UK jobs.

We have a deal with the EU. Just stop fannying around and sign the bloody thing, Parliament. Then elect a PM who would have the wherewithall to get medieval on their asses - once we are on the outside. That way we can all start forgetting the sorry episode that was the Theresa May premiership....

We've been talking about this from the point of view of the 27, not the UK. The uncertainty will definitely cost jobs, some of which will disappear, and others will drain to the other 27.

If the UK is going to take the deal it would make sense to get on with it, but in practice that's up to the parliamentary brexit enthusiasts.

That said, even with the deal you end up doing the whole thing again two years down the line, so there aren't any good options.
  • Options
    Mr X,

""you told me to ask, I asked, but there will be no extension?"

That's exactly what she might say. It would be a more honest assessment than the pretend re-negotiation that Cameron claimed as a triumph.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Macron is just shooting his mouth off. If the UK wants a couple of months if will get it. But whether May uses that time to reach across the house properly is unlikely .

Macron sees himself as the successor to de Gaulle, who famously said "non" twice. It would have been so much better if the UK, after the 2nd refusal, had given up its attempt to join the EEC, but sadly the stubborn Heath persisted.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Chris,

Insulting the voters isn't always the best way to gain those votes.

Do you think there are still Leave voters who can remember why they wanted to leave?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited March 2019
    daodao said:

She has accused him of breaking the law. While I am no lawyer, I work with GDPR in several roles and it seems to me this is incorrect. Anyone making a complaint could publish it on Twitter, if they wished to. Formby herself could not share it without their prior permission, but that is irrelevant to the questions she raises.

I think it is fair to say GDPR is much misunderstood and from that point of view alone is a dreadful piece of legislation (not that the old law, which the Student Loan Company were forced to admit eventually they were routinely breaking because they did not understand it, was much better).

But it is also worth pointing out Formby was a very controversial appointment she has form for not having a clue what she's talking about when it comes to the law or her own party's complaints procedures (that bitch-slapping Mischon de Reya gave her remains a great example of a withering putdown to an overpromoted nobody). It's also hard to believe her claims about the amount of effort she puts into investigating complaints given the reality of how much information is fed back to the complainants.

In reality, this whole scenario could easily be about the fact Labour have a weak, incompetent possibly racist and undoubtedly lazy general secretary who hasn't the first clue what she's doing and is proving a bully to try to hide it, and Watson - who let's not forget is also a pretty nasty bully - doing his best to repair the damage. The key takeaway of that letter, for me, is that she saw Watson's actions as an attempt to force her out - for 'staff' read 'Jennie Formby.' Don't like Watson or rate him, but he's doing the right thing if he is.
  • Options
    daodao said:

Yes, there is no room for dissent , or a different opinion, in Corbyn's Labour. Follow the Leader over the top to oblivion. That's why Labour is breaking asunder., Sensible Labour MP's won't have it.. Deselection will be attempted on all who do not pledge allegiance to the Fuhrer.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Corbyn will do, at most, what he can to stop his party splitting. He doesn't want another referendum.

FPT: F1: Ferrari down to 2.2 and Leclerc to 5.5 (from 2.5 or so and 6.5 respectively yesterday).
  • Options
    Mr Edmund,

"in practice that's up to the parliamentary brexit enthusiasts"

Nothing to do with the 200-odd nay-sayers in Labour? Ah, you'll probably say, they're an opposition and have a duty to oppose.

It reminds me of the old excuse trotted out by professional footballers when the a colleague tumbles under an innocuous challenge in the penalty area. "He's was touched, he's entitled to go down."
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Those that want a second referendum want to remain. So far, so obvious. So they will only push for such a referendum if they think that they can achieve that objective. If remain is a possibility I think that the EU may well play ball and allow (positively encourage) us to keep the rag bag of loons that are our MEPs. To have a country go through 2 years of misery and internal division and then change its mind is a prize the EU would treasure, even if it means having a seriously disgruntled UK to deal with in years to come.

I think that there is a majority in Parliament for such a move, there always has been despite the promises that they made when elected in 2017. The problem that they have is that majority does not include the current PM or, for that matter, the LOTO. This makes it very difficult to introduce, let alone pass, the necessary legislation.

If the Tiggers had doubled in size this last week and, critically, included another half dozen Tories, the government would have lost its notional majority and it may well have been that a more amenable PM might have been selected on a government of national unity basis. I don't see the current Tory party going down that route. Not only would it be utterly self destructive but the majority of remainers in Parliament does not include a majority in the Tory party.

The question is therefore whether this time May can get a majority for her deal. It's not going to be easy since the majority don't want to leave at all. Even if the ERG have a moment of clarity and vote for it May is likely to be short unless she gets more Labour support than she got the last time. Will the threat of a no deal Brexit be enough? I have my doubts but I also have my hopes.
  • Options
    Mr Roger,

"Do you think there are still Leave voters who can remember why they wanted to leave?"

I can't anymore, but it's now a matter of principle. The voting finger writes and having writ, should be complied with. All your tears (wit is in short supply) should not erase a single word.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    CD13 said:

Mr Roger,

"Do you think there are still Leave voters who can remember why they wanted to leave?"

I can't anymore, but it's now a matter of principle. The voting finger writes and having writ, should be complied with. All your tears (wit is in short supply) should not erase a single word.

'I'm going to cut my nose off to spite YOUR face.'
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Mr divvie,

People can be awkward when they're taken for fools.

The argument that 'we've changed our mind' would be more convincing were it not begun immediately after the referendum result was announced.

"Its been nearly seventeen seconds and it's already going wrong, just like I said ten seconds ago. We need another referendum."
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Edmund,

"in practice that's up to the parliamentary brexit enthusiasts"

Nothing to do with the 200-odd nay-sayers in Labour? Ah, you'll probably say, they're an opposition and have a duty to oppose.

It reminds me of the old excuse trotted out by professional footballers when the a colleague tumbles under an innocuous challenge in the penalty area. "He's was touched, he's entitled to go down."

I'm not advocating one thing or the other, I'm talking about what's going on. Opposition MPs aren't going to vote for TMay's deal in substantial numbers. They don't like it, they weren't consulted on it, they don't want to help the government, their local parties would hate them for it, and there's a decent chance that rejecting it gives them an alternative outcome they think would be good for the voters (brexit ultimately going away) rather than the one they don't (car crash).

The most plausible path to passing TMay's deal is to get nearly all Tories, then Labour leavers to make up for the missing DUP.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Those that want a second referendum want to remain. So far, so obvious. So they will only push for such a referendum if they think that they can achieve that objective. If remain is a possibility I think that the EU may well play ball and allow (positively encourage) us to keep the rag bag of loons that are our MEPs. To have a country go through 2 years of misery and internal division and then change its mind is a prize the EU would treasure, even if it means having a seriously disgruntled UK to deal with in years to come.

I think that there is a majority in Parliament for such a move, there always has been despite the promises that they made when elected in 2017. The problem that they have is that majority does not include the current PM or, for that matter, the LOTO. This makes it very difficult to introduce, let alone pass, the necessary legislation.

If the Tiggers had doubled in size this last week and, critically, included another half dozen Tories, the government would have lost its notional majority and it may well have been that a more amenable PM might have been selected on a government of national unity basis. I don't see the current Tory party going down that route. Not only would it be utterly self destructive but the majority of remainers in Parliament does not include a majority in the Tory party.

The question is therefore whether this time May can get a majority for her deal. It's not going to be easy since the majority don't want to leave at all. Even if the ERG have a moment of clarity and vote for it May is likely to be short unless she gets more Labour support than she got the last time. Will the threat of a no deal Brexit be enough? I have my doubts but I also have my hopes.

My sense is that the EU-the people if not necessarily the governments-are looking forward to a future without us. We've now become the neigbours from hell and the sooner we move out the sooner they can get on with their lives.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    daodao said:

MrX said:

Unless it is merely a short extension to tie up the threads of a signed deal, I expect at least one of the EU27 to say "non", so that will be that, given that all 27 would have to agree an extension. Macron might very well be the man, given French contempt for perfidious Albion.
    To put a time scale on it:

The Withdrawal Treaty is going to have to be formally ratified by the U.K. (not just a ‘meaningful vote’) such that we can no longer revoke A50:

EITHER

Before the date at which the formal campaign would need to begin for EU MEP elections to take place at the end of June.

OR

The last day the old EU Parliament sits that can ratify from their side, which is 23rd April.

Whichever comes first. Otherwise we need to hold the elections.

I think we’ve got a couple of weeks after 29th March if required, but it’s no more than that.
  • Options
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

My sense is that the EU-the people if not necessarily the governments-are looking forward to a future without us. We've now become the neigbours from hell and the sooner we move out the sooner they can get on with their lives.
    We can only hope so. I genuinely think we will have a much better relationship with the EU once we have moved out than if we are coerced into continuing an unhappy cohabitation. But I don't think those that want remain see it that way. They are as delusional as the wildest ERG madmen.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

That depends. To the Irish we’ve always been neighbours from hell and will be more so out than in. The French don’t care much. The Germans see Europe as the future and the sooner we come round the better. The rest, dunno, I think the further you get from us geographically the less they care.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Mr Edmund,

No one's mad keen on the deal. It's an amalgam of uncertainties without a definite end, and the only to get it through would be to make it the least of the evils. As you point out, the opposition will only vote for something already labelled with their stamp of approval.

Mrs May looks like a political bungler, but might eventually achieve what she wants. Think Frank Columbo without the deep thought.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

Of course you can. It's sort of the reason why a referendum may be needed at all: Our elected representatives cannot agree on a practical route for enacting the earlier referendum and by and large, in their professional opinion, believe that almost any way of enacting it is sufficiently damaging that they can't bring themselves to agree on one.

The referendum would provide a way to either override Parliament to enact the given Deal, or democratically withdraw the earlier instruction.
  • Options
    Mr. Cooke, that would require, however, a choice between something the Commons has rejected and something the electorate has rejected.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Edmund,

No one's mad keen on the deal. It's an amalgam of uncertainties without a definite end, and the only to get it through would be to make it the least of the evils. As you point out, the opposition will only vote for something already labelled with their stamp of approval.

Mrs May looks like a political bungler, but might eventually achieve what she wants. Think Frank Columbo without the deep thought.

The deal is really not that bad in so far as it goes. The biggest problem with it is that there is so much uncertainty about where we go next. I am presuming that Cox is working on that aspect which can be dealt with through the political declaration. But given the utter incompetence with which this has been handled things could be a lot worse.
  • Options
    Catching up this morning there seems to be lots of ideas on the way forward, some plausible others not so

However, Sky reporting just now that Barnier has confirmed movement in their position to accommodate UK issues on the backstop and that really is the key

Interesting to see if this is a turning point
  • Options
    Mr. NorthWales, that does make me think of an oath from Walder Frey[sp].
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    Roger said:

daodao said:

I think that's right. However bad many of us think Corbyn is Watson is infinitely worse
    Seriously?
  • Options

Mr. NorthWales, that does make me think of an oath from Walder Frey[sp].

But who's the Arya that is going to serve the pie?
  • Options
    The EU position on a second ref varies between countries . Some would love the UK to change it’s mind others just want the UK to leave now with an orderly exit .

The problem for a ref is what the question might be . The fairest way is to have a two stage process .

So leave without a WA .

Leave with Mays deal.

Remain .

Top two go into a run off . But the problem here is no sensible government should really be putting no deal as an option .

• Options
    I see that old Blairite Falconer is now being described as "distinguished" and "highly experienced".

Not sure that is how the Cult will see him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Fails to explain why person A can see them, but person B can't
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298

Catching up this morning there seems to be lots of ideas on the way forward, some plausible others not so

However, Sky reporting just now that Barnier has confirmed movement in their position to accommodate UK issues on the backstop and that really is the key

Problem is that Labour and the ERG/DUP would have to swallow an enormous amount of humble pie: the former in conceding that Theresa's played a blinder; the latter in conceding that the EU were accommodating and helpful. I can't see any of the aforementioned ever doing that.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited March 2019

Roger said:

daodao said:

Seriously?
    That shows the fracture in labour.

Watson is trying to address serious issues and clearly has formed a group within labour that at present may have stopped further defections to TIG

I have no love for Watson but it shows how far labour have fallen when he looks the reasonable one.

Corbyn and his group are toxic
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    edited March 2019
    There seems to be a consensus here that the Labour leadership doesn't want a referendum. i'll put my alternative view for consideration. It's worth considering because although I'm not currently much involved in Westminster, I know both the leadership quite well and the party intimately.

Labour is predominantly a Remain party (those dogmatically against are Kate Hoey and... then I'm struggling to think of names already), but has a fair number of seats and voters who are Leavers, so we don't want to be super-champions of Remain like the LibDems. In addition, while Corbyn is mildly pro-Remain (yes, lots of you don't believe it, but bear with me), he doesn't feel strongly and really wants the agenda to move on. So what Labour really wants is either (a) to own (by forcing through a Commons vote) a Brexit that most Remainers feel isn't too bad (customs union etc.) or (b) to bring about an election or (c) to have a referendum which we aren't given the sole blame for. (a) and (b) haven't worked, so we've moved on to (c).

Now I agree with nico, who said here the other day that Labour was and is absolutely crap at putting this across - it needs fanfare and press conferences and campaign materials, not a mumble here and an amendment there. It is, however, both the policy adopted by Conference and consistent with everything that the leadership has said since.

Why does it matter for political watchers and punters whether this is right? Because if it is, then you can assume that Labour will want not only the end but the means, such as extension to A50 (and IMO the EU will be up for it too, if they see Remain on the potential ballot). On past form we won't want to shout about it - it will take the form of obscure amendments and votes as necessary. But if enough Tories want a referendum, it will happen.

BTW, ydoethur's post earlier should probably be gently edited by moderators, as one sentence in it could get Mike into trouble.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    CD13 said:

No one's mad keen on the deal.

Quite a few pb.com tories have grown to love it as the only Brexit they are ever likely to get. They started out with such wide eyed hope but now it's last orders and they've failed to cop off but they've got raging hard ons so they've committed to trying to get the fat lass with wall eye into the taxi.
  • Options

I see that old Blairite Falconer is now being described as "distinguished" and "highly experienced".

Especially after he resigns.. .
  • Options

Problem is that Labour and the ERG/DUP would have to swallow an enormous amount of humble pie: the former in conceding that Theresa's played a blinder; the latter in conceding that the EU were accommodating and helpful. I can't see any of the aforementioned ever doing that.
    We will see - everything is very fluid at present
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441
    Good article though I disagree with one point: I think we’ve gone from a likely loss in the MV to at least a 50/50 chance of it passing now.

The Brexiteers are making, on the most part, the sort of noises that suggest they might hold their nose and go for it to avoid a delay. Even the DUP are sounding less strident. They know if they take it past the next vote loss they lose control of the process and possibly lose Brexit altogether. Next week very much feels like crunch time. I am coming round to the view that the deal might just squeak through at the next MV. Of course that depends on Cox coming up with his magic wording... but the fact they are proposing wording at all suggests the sort of slight movement which might just, in light of the current atmosphere, unlock it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    CD13 said:

Mr divvie,

People can be awkward when they're taken for fools.

The argument that 'we've changed our mind' would be more convincing were it not begun immediately after the referendum result was announced.

"Its been nearly seventeen seconds and it's already going wrong, just like I said ten seconds ago. We need another referendum."

Seventeen seconds is now 31 months and counting with barely a sniff of the project not going wrong. The government is now preparing emergency plans and public information films in the not unlikely event of it going completely FUBAR (they're probably preparing emergency plans for when the emergency plans fcukup).

Personally my country voted pretty overwhelmingly for one outcome and was ignored, so I'm not consumed with any great enthusiasm for another referendum. I've no reason to think the result wouldn't be even more overwhelming second time around, and we would be similarly ignored regardless of how much louder we shouted from the boot that we're locked in. However with the selfless benevolence that we Scots are noted for showing towards our larger neighbour, I don't see why when the facts change, voters shouldn't at least be given the chance to consider whether their minds have changed.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    I suspect May's Deal will pass because that's the least hassle option. Then attention will turn to what it really means. We will have taken nearly three years to agree essentially just three things: accrued citizens rights, the severance fee, and that any divergence of the UK from the EU will have to be done in such a way that the Irish border is left alone.

All the major decisions are still to be taken and fought over.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

First.

And not to get the blame. It’s all about the blame game.
    I think that's exactly right, just about everyone has given upon claiming that Brexit is going to be the dawn of some shiny new era, everyone is simply manoeuvring to try to ensure that they don't don't get the blame when it turns out to be quite what the leave campaigns portrayed.

Timothy said that May's heart was never in it it has all been about damage limitation and I think for once she was right. It's been about making the best of a bad job since day one
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Dura_Ace said:

CD13 said:

Quite a few pb.com tories have grown to love it as the only Brexit they are ever likely to get. They started out with such wide eyed hope but now it's last orders and they've failed to cop off but they've got raging hard ons so they've committed to trying to get the fat lass with wall eye into the taxi.
    Such a colourful turn of phrase. I like :-)
    nico67 said:

The EU position on a second ref varies between countries . Some would love the UK to change it’s mind others just want the UK to leave now with an orderly exit .

The problem for a ref is what the question might be . The fairest way is to have a two stage process .

So leave without a WA .

Leave with Mays deal.

Remain .

Top two go into a run off . But the problem here is no sensible government should really be putting no deal as an option .

The great "what should the question be" issue has been discussed at mind-numbingly, carpet-bitingly tedious length on here in the past. Neither the majority in Parliament nor, most critically (because they need to assent to the A50 extension,) other EU member states, have any interest in a vote that includes No Deal, because it's not what they want and it gets us no further forward.

If there's a referendum (a big "if",) then it'll almost certainly be May's WA versus Remain in a straight fight. Like practically everything else in politics at the moment, I'd not like to have to guess which way that would go.
  • Options
    I have a neighbour with a fondness for strumming away on his guitar and singing.

It has already started this morning.

Pray for me.
  • Options

Roger said:

daodao said:

Seriously?

Watson is trying to address serious issues and clearly has formed a group within labour that at present may have stopped further defections to TIG

I have no love for Watson but it shows how far labour have fallen when he looks the reasonable one.

When the history books are written it may be that the separate election of a Deputy with his/her own mandate saved the Labour party.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    Labour: championing mindless whataboutery and crybullying since 12 September 2015
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    Ilford CLP? There is no Ilford CLP. There is Ilford North and there is Ilford South!
  • Options
    RE Watson...I do however agree with Jennie Formby about Watson setting up his own investigation into ant-Semitism. Watson hasn't got a clue about investigating anything and his past "investigation" shows how dangerous he is.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The worm is turning, if there's some kind of change to the WA, I think it passes.
  • Options

RE Watson...I do however agree with Jennie Formby about Watson setting up his own investigation into ant-Semitism. Watson hasn't got a clue about investigating anything and his past "investigation" shows how dangerous he is.

These things are all relative. Let us imagine that Watson conducts a haphazard or an incompetent investigation. This would still represent an attempt at an investigation.

Labour's governing bodies are in the grip of the loons. Anything they organise is liable to be a total sham.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

he hasn't said he is going to do any substantive investigation, that is her suggestion I don't see any problem with his collecting and collating dates: complaint made, hearing conducted, decision handed down.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

One of a series of idiotic comments from you today. Despite your wishes the EU is not of one mind on many issues. Many of its members are more akin the the UK than the EU. Like it or not they will always have a huge economy 'next door' and they need a sensible relationship with us. Both sides can do well and work together for the future. The differences between us at this point are tiny. The simple issue for now is that the extremists in the Tory right need to accept the current deal and allow the country to move on. If they don't we will end up remaining. This is my preferred outcome but if it is achieved by the obstinacy of the ERG/DUP they deserve their fate. Either way for the Eurofantasists like yourself I suspect the elections in May are not going to be fun for you.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    The problem with the referendum idea for anyone who thinks Brexit is a disaster (ie everyone with an ounce of awareness) is if May's Deal wins. Her concept of hard Brexit will be taken as Holy Writ, just as the original referendum was, when it really is all smoke and mirrors to get the UK out of the EU.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    IanB2 said:

First.

Labour has shifted from pretending to be Brexit to pretending to be Remain.
    Well it stops others joining the tiggers, so of course.
  • Options
    BTW, there's a Danish election coming up (in the next 3 months). Currently a big swing to the left, with a slump in the main anti-EU/anti-immigrant party in particular, though they're still on 16%: The right has splintered with various small parties competing: because of the Danish system (direct PR with a 2% threshold) they should nearly all get seats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_Danish_general_election

In Germany, meanwhile, the social democrats have staged a modest recovery, and are now contesting 2nd place with the Greens again. The Green performance remains spectacular (doubled over the last election) but is no longer quite so stratospheric. The Christian Democrats and anti-immigrant AfD are more or less stable.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options

Roger said:

daodao said:

Seriously?

When the history books are written it may be that the separate election of a Deputy with his/her own mandate saved the Labour party.

The more I think about it the deputy leader being elected at the same time with their own mandate seems really odd.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    edited March 2019

Mr. Cooke, that would require, however, a choice between something the Commons has rejected and something the electorate has rejected.

Well, yes.
    That's sort of why we're in the problem to start with. One of the rejected options needs to be taken, Parliament can't decide, so the people have to.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Especially after he resigns.. .
    I have heard from a very reliable source that he is indeed on the cusp of of considering the possibility that under certaion very specific circumstances..............
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298

These things are all relative. Let us imagine that Watson conducts a haphazard or an incompetent investigation. This would still represent an attempt at an investigation.

Labour's governing bodies are in the grip of the loons. Anything they organise is liable to be a total sham.
    No, a crap 'investigation' will be worse than no investigation at all. Watson's previous efforts aided and abetted possibly one of the greatest child-abuse hoaxes of all time.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

I have a neighbour with a fondness for strumming away on his guitar and singing.

It has already started this morning.

Pray for me.

Kumbaya my Lord.
  • Options
    FWIW, note that this isn't a Labour motion as the tweet implies, it's a motion from the local Momentum branch, of unknown size. And while I don't think that it's very sensible to go on about the issue, it's a perfectly legitimate view which they're entitled to hold, whether Red Tory (whoever he, she or it may be) likes it or not.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

CD13 said:

As ever your inimitable take on matters cuts through.

It keeps being whispered that they might be then it is shut down. I wont hold my breath but sometimes things do actually change as the tiggers show us.

On the tiggers, Watson being in near open war with a proxy firm Corbyn is a high stakes game but I would think prevents any defections for now. Someone who had not already left but was unhappy wont want to undercut someone they see actually fighting for the party as they want it to be. So for now even Corbyn failing to do what they want wont cause them to jump.

The risk is surely that if he fails theres a lot more people who may see no options left.
This discussion has been closed.