Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A second referendum conducted under AV maybe the only way to e

SystemSystem Posts: 11,009
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A second referendum conducted under AV maybe the only way to end the Brexit impasse

Recents events makes me think we’re headed for another referendum on all things Brexit, so the only question and options is what will be on the ballot paper.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    The public might choose an option that MP's don't want.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Sean_F said:

And a referendum under AV makes that more likely.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Easily portrayed as the elite trying to overturn the decision of Ther People in 2016, by employing an arcane electoral system roundly rejected by Ther People in 2011.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That would never do for the "servants" of the people.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,051
    Sean_F said:

In which case the MPs will ignore it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855
    #NO2AV
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,122
    Bloody hell, it's an AV thread. Things are more serious than I thought!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Sean_F said:

Yes. I'm a fan of direct democracy from my Swiss experience, but I think MPs have a duty only to offer options that they think, with their insight as full-time legislators (I know, but they really are more into the details than most), would not be a disaster. A choice between a deal that nobody likes very much but does get us out in one piece vs Remain would be reasonable. I don't think we can really talk about food and medicine shortages and disaster for industry on No Deal and then offer it as an option - too much like saying "Do you want chocolate, coffee or this loaded gun?"
  • Options
    @Ishmael_Z FPT:
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

I'm not sure this is outright lying, utter incompetency or just WTF (Fox's comment about 1minute after we leave not the tweet)

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1102168826018521089

He is a Tory so it is outright lying for sure.
    They have to swear an oath to lie when being selected
    Now that's an interesting example of what's called the library paradox, and much better than the ones that tenth-rate egomaniac Russell actually came up with.

That is to say, if you keep the oath, you haven't lied and therefore you have broken it. But the only way to break the oath, and therefore to avoid the paradox, is to tell the truth.
    You are being unfair on Russell here, because this is not an example of Russell's Paradox (which is the name I know it by and the wikipedia site you link calls it). This is a much older paradox which often rears it's head with the statement "I always lie".

In this example the Conservative Party member is an element of a set. Russell's paradox deals with sets not elements. He defines a set which can neither be assigned to a second set nor to its complement. The difference from the liar's paradox might at first appear trivial, but it was key to identifying the stumbling block in the early 20thC thinking in fundamental mathematics.

If there is a neater way of explaining Russell's Paradox than the library catalog example someone in the last 80 years would have already come up with one.
    Except the 'library catalog example' doesn't explain it. Because all you have to do to eliminate the paradox is reverse the example.
    Can you explain that?
    Russell's example was of a librarian who wanted to make a catalogue of all library catalogues that didn't include the catalogue itself. Which is impossible because if it doesn't include the catalogue thus created, it is incomplete, and if it does, it isn't accurate.

Leaving aside the minor fact that it's barely more coherent in practical terms than his ludicrous suggestion of a barber who shaved every man in the world except himself, it can be very simply got round by making a catalogue of all the catalogues that DO include the catalogue - and putting the catalogue itself in it. That way it is both complete and accurate.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Surely it would be much more straightforward to have a two-question ballot (do you want to Remain/Leave, do you want to leave with Deal/No Deal) than that confusing AV malarkey.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Surely it would be much more straightforward to have a two-question ballot (do you want to Remain/Leave, do you want to leave with Deal/No Deal) than that confusing AV malarkey.

I have a higher opinion of our fellow Remainers than you. I think they can count up to two.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    In 2011, I voted against adopting AV, along with a majority of the people in the UK who turned out.

In 2016, I voted to Leave the European Union, again along with a majority of the people in the UK who turned out.

Let's say in 2019 I again vote to Leave the European Union, along with the majority. But due to the vagaries of AV (a significant factor in me voting against it the first time round), somehow we end with Remain winning with 48% of the votes, due to No Deal being narrowly edged out by Deal in round one, and its supporters refusing to endorse the Deal in sufficient numbers.

Now what? I don't think "crisis" even begins to cover it. I simply don't see how you could attempt such a course of action, given the significant probability of making things much, much worse.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Three referenda.

Ref 1 - shall we have another referendum on EU membership
    Ref 2 - if yes to 1, have a referendum on what the question and setup is (shall we use AV)
    Ref 3 - actually have a second EU referendum.

That'll keep us all busy for a while.
  • Options

I don't think we can really talk about food and medicine shortages and disaster for industry on No Deal and then offer it as an option - too much like saying "Do you want chocolate, coffee or this loaded gun?"

Your example should really have been 'chocolate, coffee, or pineapple with pizza in perpetuity?'

It would have been far more alarming...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In which case the MPs will ignore it.
    AGAIN
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Danny565 said:

If you want to be fairer to the original result, you could start from the position of:

Q1: Do you accept TM's negotiated deal to leave? Yes/No
    Q2: If No, do you wish to Remain or Leave With No Deal
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,034

Three referenda.

Ref 1 - shall we have another referendum on EU membership
    Ref 2 - if yes to 1, have a referendum on what the question and setup is (shall we use AV)
    Ref 3 - actually have a second EU referendum.

That'll keep us all busy for a while.

If people vote no to another referendum, we’ll have to have another referendum to find out whether they mean “no, just leave” or “no, just stay”.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I deserve praise for getting Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, and the Whore of Babylon in the same sentence
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    TSE [HEARTS] AV :(
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I deserve praise for getting Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, and the Whore of Babylon in the same sentence
    You missed out the DUP.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Why? What's the Whore of Babylon done to you?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

If you want to be fairer to the original result, you could start from the position of:

I think that's the best option, to have a referendum on "Do you support this deal? Y/N"

There's precisely no chance of it happening though, because almost no-one supports it outside the government payroll of MPs.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

Russell's example was of a librarian who wanted to make a catalogue of all library catalogues that didn't include the catalogue itself. Which is impossible because if it doesn't include the catalogue thus created, it is incomplete, and if it does, it isn't accurate.

Leaving aside the minor fact that it's barely more coherent in practical terms than his ludicrous suggestion of a barber who shaved every man in the world except himself, it can be very simply got round by making a catalogue of all the catalogues that DO include the catalogue - and putting the catalogue itself in it. That way it is both complete and accurate.

Oh dear. These are logical paradoxes, not real-world plans. Russell did not want there to *be* a barber who shaved every man in the world except himself, he asked the question *if* there were a barber who shaved every man in the world *who does not shave himself* (your misstatement "except himself" shows how epically you miss the point), would he shave himself? Which yields the impossibility that if he does, he doesn't, and if he doesn't he does.

Do you also believe that Schrodinger actually put a cat in a box?

You must be more careful about calling people whose ideas you do not understand, tenth rate.

Incidentally, you are misattributing both the barber and the library paradox. Neither is Russell's anyway, though they obviously map in some formulations to things he did say.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Danny565 said:

We've already answered question 1. Westminster daren't offer question 2 Deal/No Deal. Because the voters are ornery mofos who will take delight in going for No Deal.

There will be no need for a second referendum. May's Deal will get through (whilst being derided as a shit deal by many who vote for it - and who will then set about agitating to chuck out the bits they don't like, once May has left Downing Street this summer....).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's what Mr Eagles will be calling Marco Silva in about four hours' time.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A fair way would be a run off system .

That way whatever happens you end up with one option getting a majority .

The AV route ends up likely delivering a mess which will continue the arguments .

So the ref should be Remain v Leave with Mays deal v Leave with no WA.

If one option doesn’t reach 50+ in the first round you have a run off a week later. This way Leavers can’t argue their votes have been split , they’d have another chance the following week.

I still though think MPs would be reluctant to have no deal on the ballot but if this is what it takes to get the ref then they might think it could be a risk worth taking .
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

I think that's the best option, to have a referendum on "Do you support this deal? Y/N"

There's precisely no chance of it happening though, because almost no-one supports it outside the government payroll of MPs.
    This is something which baffles me.

If the ERG didn't want May doing the negotiation why did they do nothing to stop May's negotiation until it was too late.

Or at least come up with a credible alternative.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2019
    What of course is becoming evident is that Labour's policy change seems to have been driven by leading shadow Cabinet members from mostly solidly remain voting areas mainly in London - Thornberry, McDonnell, Starmer, Abbott etc. When the likes of Rayner and Long-Bailey - who represent Lancashire leaving voting seats - are asked to explain the policy the enthusiasm is far less obvious and the messages rather contradictory of what Starmer and Thornberry said just a few days ago.

And there we have the inherent problem - what is the question or questions going to be on the ballot paper. Is it is a 'credible leave' deal - although Labour don't think Mrs May's deal is at all - vs remain or something else (e.g. no deal). If there are more than two options do we vote by FPTP, AV, SV or the French run off model.

A second referendum on Brexit is a bit like Brexit itself - many like the idea but there is little agreement on what form it takes!

I have always thought it amusing that the so called 'people's vote' could seek to overtturn the last people's vote using an electoral system rejected in the people's vote before that one. So why bother voting at all - when the people just get ignored?!

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    An AV thread :o
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

Oh dear. These are logical paradoxes, not real-world plans. Russell did not want there to *be* a barber who shaved every man in the world except himself, he asked the question *if* there were a barber who shaved every man in the world *who does not shave himself* (your misstatement "except himself" shows how epically you miss the point), would he shave himself? Which yields the impossibility that if he does, he doesn't, and if he doesn't he does.

You must be more careful about calling people whose ideas you do not understand, tenth rate.

Incidentally, you are misattributing both the barber and the library paradox. Neither is Russell's anyway, though they obviously map in some formulations to things he did say.
    The point is they are not logical. Therefore, they are not logical paradoxes.

As for tenth rate - have you ever read his History of Western Philosophy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    OK, time to restate this:

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Leave with May's Deal 20%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

That’s how Leave 60% loses to Remain 40%

AV is bollocks for a referendum.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

They already have. That's why MPs are floundering.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,976

ydoethur said:

15 years to life?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Am at Goodison this afternoon, am also laying Liverpool on Betfair like mad too.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2019
    nico67 said:

A fair way would be a run off system .

That way whatever happens you end up with one option getting a majority .

The AV route ends up likely delivering a mess which will continue the arguments .

So the ref should be Remain v Leave with Mays deal v Leave with no WA.

If one option doesn’t reach 50+ in the first round you have a run off a week later. This way Leavers can’t argue their votes have been split , they’d have another chance the following week.

I still though think MPs would be reluctant to have no deal on the ballot but if this is what it takes to get the ref then they might think it could be a risk worth taking .

AV is a runoff system, in fact here in the US it's called "Instant Runoff Voting" and has been adopted in a few places, most notably Maine, where it resulted in the Democrats picking up a Congressional seat last November that they'd've just lost under FPTP.

Under AV the Leave vote cannot be "split" assuming that all Leave voters put their preferred form of Leave (hard or soft) first and their not preferred form second. However, if some soft Leave voters decide that Remain is in fact preferable to catastrophe as their second preference I don't think that's somehow unfair.
  • Options

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

That is the problem - say you want to leave but don't like May's deal or no deal (e.g. perhaps Jeremy Corbyn's private view) how do you vote in the second vote? What if turn out drops massively and remain gets less in the second vote by millions than the leave vote gets in the first round. People would cry foul and the vote would never be respected by many or most voters - it would be even worse than 2016!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

Why? That outcome is essentially, "Leave but not at any cost" which I think is a fair summation of what people actually thought they were voting for in 2016.
  • Options

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

AV is the Cheat's Charter.
  • Options

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

Your argument doesn’t stack up . No deal doesn’t command a majority so people then have to decide what’s more important in the second round . If they’ve chosen they’d rather remain than leave with no deal then they’ve had their say.

The fact is no deal was never Vote Leaves message , The Tories were going to negotiate so by that logic their version of Leave would include a deal . The deal to leave is Mays deal . End of .

If Leavers don’t like the terms of exit then they should push for a general election . But we had that and May lost her mandate for her version of Brexit .

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The answer is don't hold referendums.

But having said that, if you are going to have one the wording of the 2016 one was fine. It gave an indication of the direction of travel the public wanted but left the details to the elected representatives. And as it had no timescale, there was no reason that practical difficulties couldn't have been overcome.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    The Single Stochastic Vote is far and away the best system, so why not do the #Peoplesvote the same way?

:)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    brendan16 said:

What of course is becoming evident is that Labour's policy change seems to have been driven by leading shadow Cabinet members from mostly solidly remain voting areas mainly in London - Thornberry, McDonnell, Starmer, Abbott etc. When the likes of Rayner and Long-Bailey - who represent Lancashire leaving voting seats - are asked to explain the policy the enthusiasm is far less obvious and the messages rather contradictory of what Starmer and Thornberry said just a few days ago.

And there we have the inherent problem - what is the question or questions going to be on the ballot paper. Is it is a 'credible leave' deal - although Labour don't think Mrs May's deal is at all - vs remain or something else (e.g. no deal). If there are more than two options do we vote by FPTP, AV, SV or the French run off model.

A second referendum on Brexit is a bit like Brexit itself - many like the idea but there is little agreement on what form it takes!

Long-Bailey is quoted as wanting ‘several different options’ on the ballot, so TSE curiously appears to be in agreement with her.

While I am not unenthusiastic about AV, the idea that most or even very many voters would take the trouble to differentiate between several different flavours of Brexit, and then rank them all the way down, seems mildly fanciful.

• Options

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Am at Goodison this afternoon, am also laying Liverpool on Betfair like mad too.
    Have fun. The next ten matches will all seem like cup finals!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

ydoethur said:

The point is they are not logical. Therefore, they are not logical paradoxes.

As for tenth rate - have you ever read his History of Western Philosophy?
    But the mathematical paradox is; these are examples (perhaps fruitlessly) intended to help explain it.

As for the latter, I recall picking it up in my teens, and rapidly discarding it as tedious.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    ydoethur said:

I don't think we can really talk about food and medicine shortages and disaster for industry on No Deal and then offer it as an option - too much like saying "Do you want chocolate, coffee or this loaded gun?"

Your example should really have been 'chocolate, coffee, or pineapple with pizza in perpetuity?'

No, no, I'd vote for that. I've already told my wife that if I'm ever in hospital unable to speak, she should put an Abba tape on a loop for me. Feeding me pizza with pineapple would be a pleasant addition.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

Your argument doesn’t stack up . No deal doesn’t command a majority so people then have to decide what’s more important in the second round . If they’ve chosen they’d rather remain than leave with no deal then they’ve had their say.

The fact is no deal was never Vote Leaves message , The Tories were going to negotiate so by that logic their version of Leave would include a deal . The deal to leave is Mays deal . End of .

If Leavers don’t like the terms of exit then they should push for a general election . But we had that and May lost her mandate for her version of Brexit .

But if the referendum was May's Deal v Remain then Leave would most likely have won. The 'will of the people' is reversed due to the nature of the question.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

Why? That outcome is essentially, "Leave but not at any cost" which I think is a fair summation of what people actually thought they were voting for in 2016.
    I tend to agree. The claim of supporters of No Deal Brexit that they enjoy the support, moral or actual, of that section of the electorate, without any compelling evidence, is tendentious.

Or bollocks, if you like.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

First time at a football ground?
  • Options

nico67 said:

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

But if the referendum was May's Deal v Remain then Leave would most likely have won. The 'will of the people' is reversed due to the nature of the question.
    I would be quite happy with that formulation.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

First time at a football ground?
    No, I regularly attend matches at Anfield.

It is my first time at a world cup final though.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2019
    Just as I thought the week from hell might just be turning with the Lloris save... along comes an AV thread.... :(

• Options

nico67 said:

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

I can understand Leavers not wanting a simple May deal v Remain choice because in that Remain would very likely win . However the problems are that leave disagree on how to leave . No one with a straight face can say Leavers in 2016 all voted to go out with no deal . If Vote Leave had that message they wouldn’t have won .

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,230
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

The Single Stochastic Vote is far and away the best system, so why not do the #Peoplesvote the same way?

But the AV referendum is an interesting parallel in another way. Despite the widespread discontent with the voting system, AV lost because it was a specific and flawed alternative put up for a vote against the status quo. We know anecdotally that some who favour reform opposed AV because of said flaws.

Had any particular Brexit been put up against Remain, it too would have lost.

Conversely, had the AV referendum actually been positioned along the lines of "do you want to replace the current voting system with something fairer", the change option might well have won - only for war to break out between supporters of change as to precisely which system is the best replacement.

I'm pretty sure that opponents of reform would by now be insisting on a second vote between whichever system emerged as favourite from the infighting and the status quo.

The dishonesty and fundamental flaw of the Brexit referendum was that it allowed supporters of a whole range of alternative and mutually incompatible universes to unite against a single status quo.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

But the AV referendum is an interesting parallel in another way. Despite the widespread discontent with the voting system, AV lost because it was a specific and flawed alternative put up for a vote against the status quo. We know anecdotally that some who favour reform opposed AV because of said flaws.

Conversely, had the AV referendum actually been positioned along the lines of "do you want to replace the current voting system with something fairer", the change option might well have won - only for war to break out between supporters of change as to precisely which system is the best replacement.

I'm pretty sure that opponents of reform would by now be insisting on a second vote between whichever system emerged as favourite from the infighting and the status quo.
    Neat.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

If the process was framed that way from the start, I don't see an issue. The problem with doing the same for Brexit is that it was repeatedly said that this would be the final say, and that there would be no second referendum.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

If the ERG didn't want May doing the negotiation why did they do nothing to stop May's negotiation until it was too late.

Well, quite. The time to object was December 2017, not at the last minute.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

If the process was framed that way from the start, I don't see an issue. The problem with doing the same for Brexit is that it was repeatedly said that this would be the final say, and that there would be no second referendum.
    Once a mistake is realised, it needs to be put right. The politicians who got us into this mess will have to carry the can.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2019

ydoethur said:

No, no, I'd vote for that. I've already told my wife that if I'm ever in hospital unable to speak, she should put an Abba tape on a loop for me. Feeding me pizza with pineapple would be a pleasant addition.
    Voters faced with 'no deal' option:

https://youtu.be/O3WqBFPhdKM
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

Well, quite. The time to object was December 2017, not at the last minute.
    The time was after May had lost the majority.
  • Options
    The problem is just as Leavers say look at the government leaflet .

The Vote Leave leaflet said any change wouldn’t be a rupture with the EU but a gradual change and the UK wouldn’t start the legal process until a deal was agreed .

So there’s absolutely no mandate for no deal .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Once a mistake is realised, it needs to be put right. The politicians who got us into this mess will have to carry the can.
    How convenient that it also gives you another chance. How many times does Leave have to win to actually leave?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That was very much my position at the time and still is. I don't like FPTP but I voted to keep it because, in my opinion, AV is even more flawed and unrepresentative. If any other voting system other than AV had been proposed then I'd have happily voted to get rid of FPTP.

• Options
    edited March 2019

But having said that, if you are going to have one the wording of the 2016 one was fine. It gave an indication of the direction of travel the public wanted but left the details to the elected representatives. And as it had no timescale, there was no reason that practical difficulties couldn't have been overcome.

One benefit of the 2016 referendum was perhaps for the first time in their lives many people actually felt their vote could make a difference and affect the result.

For so many people their vote never counts as they live in safe seats/one party states - for example if I stay where I am now I know I will always have Labour councillors, a Labour Mayor and a Labour MP. That's the situation in nearly half the country - which are solidly Labour or Tory.

And of course our electoral system can deliver governments with big majorities - as occurred in 2005 and to a lesser extent 2015 - with well under 40% of the vote. We seem to have had no issues on two occassions in the last 15 years with 37% of voters imposing their will on 63% - yet it was apparently unfair 52% imposed their will on 48%. Bizarre.

We could of course in theory elect a Tory govt on a pro Brexit pro no deal platform in 2022 (just say Boris takes over from May) - in case Brexit hasn't happened by then - who could take us out with no deal on 40% of the vote if that was the manifesto pledge. General elections don't offer a solution to this either - as minorities impose their will on majorities under our system.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Interesting days ahead.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

One benefit of the 2016 referendum was perhaps for the first time in their lives many people actually felt their vote could make a difference and affect the result.

For so many people their vote never counts as they live in safe seats/one party states - for example if I stay where I am now I know I will always have Labour councillors, a Labour Mayor and a Labour MP. That's the situation in nearly half the country - which are solidly Labour or Tory.

And of course our electoral system can deliver governments with big majorities - as occurred in 2005 and to a lesser extent 2015 - with well under 40% of the vote. We seem to have had no issues on two occassions in the last 15 years with 37% of voters imposing their will on 63% - yet it was apparently unfair 52% imposed their will on 48%. Bizarre.

We could of course elect a Tory govt led by a pro Brexit platform in 2022 - just say it hasn't happened by then - who could take us out with no deal on 40% of the vote if that was the manifesto pledge. General elections don't offer a solution to this either - as minorities impose their will on majorities under our system.
    If our party system really does break up, pro-Brexit Conservatives will probably be the biggest faction. They could be taking us out of the EU on 33%.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,931
    nico67 said:

The Vote Leave leaflet said any change wouldn’t be a rupture with the EU but a gradual change and the UK wouldn’t start the legal process until a deal was agreed .

What was that about lie any lie?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

nico67 said:

Neither Vote leave or leave.eu or grassroots out - nor the remain campaign and their offshoots are of course in Government and never were going to be.

Which became the problem - people voted for 'change' and got Theresa May and Phillip Hammond!! Its like buying tickets for a Rolling stones concert and Steps turn up instead!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    nico67 said:

Also a recent poll shows Referendum beats Deal and Deal beats No Deal
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/03/01/where-we-stand-brexit
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

IanB2 said:

That was very much my position at the time and still is. I don't like FPTP but I voted to keep it because, in my opinion, AV is even more flawed and unrepresentative. If any other voting system other than AV had been proposed then I'd have happily voted to get rid of FPTP.

The AV referendum should have been by AV, with other options including Holyrood style PR.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Afternoon all :)

I've never supported a general second vote - there's an argument for having a vote on a Deal but the consequences of voting against have to be made unambiguously clear and that's the problem.

In a sense, every GE is a referendum on a range of things from individual candidates to specific politics to parties in general. The importance of a candidate, a specific policy area or a party in general varies hugely from individual to individual but for some people specific individuals and policies matter.

If a party, in its manifesto, has a specific policy and wins a majority not just on that policy but a programme of policies, that party has the mandate to implement those policies via legislation. The problem is when a new policy area which hadn't been considered comes to the fore and there may, under certain circumstances, be a need for an extraordinary consultation via a referendum.

There's a stronger argument for referenda at local level and if we are looking to re-vitalise local democracy and increase accountability, that might be a way forward. It won't be comfortable and indeed those advocating large-scale housebuilding programmes would doubtless argue NIMBYism would come to the fore. Well, perhaps but it's my experience a well-planned scheme taking strong account of local needs and services will always get a better reception than simply building x homes on an area of land.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

The AV referendum should have been by AV, with other options including Holyrood style PR.
    Now that really is the stupidest system known to man.

@TSE - quick question. I have written something that may or may not be of interest as a thread header. How could I submit it to either you or OGH?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,214
    The same AV rejected by Referendum in 2011 by 68% to 32%?

That AV? :innocent:
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Same here in fact. AV is NOT proportional.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

The same AV rejected by Referendum in 2011 by 68% to 32%?

That AV? :innocent:

No this is not the same. It would be a 'people's AV'!

Of course why don't we allow cats and dogs and horses and cows to vote too - particularly kittens, puppies, foals and calves as they will be affected for longer as they are young. They are affected by us leaving the EU too and have no say.

I demand a mammals vote! Why should only 'people' get a vote?
  • Options
    Three-option referendums included the Puerto Rico referendum of 2017:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Puerto_Rican_status_referendum
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Maybe the Welsh people should be given an opportunity to see if they've changed their minds since 1997 on whether to have an Assembly, given that it was approved by the very small margin of 50.3% to 49.7%.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

Same here in fact. AV is NOT proportional.
    As we were told at the time as well AV also leads to fascism!

Even though AV in reality would make it less likely for extreme parties to win seats than under first past the post as you would need to get above 50% to win - whereas under FTPT you could win a seat on 25% or less.

We woz lied to! Lets rerun the vote just to make sure.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/av/av-system-would-give-fascists-more-power-2257467.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

@TSE - quick question. I have written something that may or may not be of interest as a thread header. How could I submit it to either you or OGH?
    Email your piece to

Mike at politicalbetting dotcom

Make the subject something like 'Guest thread submission' and Mike will get back to you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Email your piece to

Mike at politicalbetting dotcom

Make the subject something like 'Guest thread submission' and Mike will get back to you.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,931
    edited March 2019
    We'd probably had STV years ago but for the fact that Irish have it, so in Tory minds it must be a bad idea. It was in fact recommended by a Speakers Conference around 1920.
    To be fair to the Tories, though, the Jenkins Report in 1998 or thereabouts was, allegedly, treated very sympathetically by Tony Blair but nearly gave John Prescott a fit.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe the Welsh people should be given an opportunity to see if they've changed their minds since 1997 on whether to have an Assembly, given that it was approved by the very small margin of 50.3% to 49.7%.

No thank you
  • Options
    King Cole, I think that dramatically exaggerates the interest in (or knowledge of) Irish Republican politics.

The fact is FPTP is handy for the big parties. So why would they change it?

As it happens, I think it's probably the least bad system.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

We'd probably had STV years ago but for the fact that Irish have it, so in Tory minds it must be a bad idea. It was in fact recommended by a Speakers Conference around 1920.
    To be fair to the Tories, though, the Jenkins Report in 1998 or thereabouts was, allegedly, treated very sympathetically by Tony Blair but nearly gave John Prescott a fit.

Its a lovely system but can drag on for days in Ireland. At the 15th count Paddy O Shea of Renua was finally elected in Carlow Kilkenny having exceeded the quota - I doubt our 24 hour news instant results news cycle could cope! In Ireland its different and a more intimate affair as everyone knows their candidates/local TDs and most will have met them personally. Not sure how it would fair in England say?

Of course STV was actually introduced in Ireland by the UK government in 1919 (the Lloyd George Tory coalition) - to guarantee unionists won seats as multi member constituencies were more likely to deliver that. And the Irish free state kept it!

So the Tories didn't mind STV - for the Irish to ensure their Unionist allies won seats in the 1920 Irish local elections and 1921 Home rule elections.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

How convenient that it also gives you another chance. How many times does Leave have to win to actually leave?
    Hotel California mate........
  • Options

First preference:

Leave with No Deal 40%
    Remain 40%

Second round:

Leave with No Deal 45%
    Remain 55%

AV is the Cheat's Charter.
    No wonder remain like it
  • Options
    Floater said:
    It is beyond my comprehension that such hatred is endemic in the labour party and centred on Corbyn and his cabal. How can any labour mp remain in such a toxic culture without being implicit
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

nico67 said:

Neither Vote leave or leave.eu or grassroots out - nor the remain campaign and their offshoots are of course in Government and never were going to be.

Which became the problem - people voted for 'change' and got Theresa May and Phillip Hammond!! Its like buying tickets for a Rolling stones concert and Steps turn up instead!
    Don’t diss Steps they’re my guilty pleasure ! And so far Hammond has been one of the few saner voices in the cabinet .
  • Options
    Mr. 67, that's a tragedy.
  • Options

Floater said:
    It is beyond my comprehension that such hatred is endemic in the labour party and centred on Corbyn and his cabal. How can any labour mp remain in such a toxic culture without being implicit
    If a bunch of BNP entryists joined the Conservatives, I don't believe you would leave the party. You would stay and fight, and try to purge the extremists. Why should Labour members and representatives do otherwise?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,976
    AndyJS said:

Easypeasy, all they need to do is vote for the Abolish The Welsh Assembly Party.

ATWAP received 4% of the List vote in 2016.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, if Nick Griffin became leader of the Conservatives, quite a lot of decent people would leave the party.
  • Options

Mr. 67, that's a tragedy.

Cue the Steps puns in 5, 6, 7, 8...
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, if Nick Griffin became leader of the Conservatives, quite a lot of decent people would leave the party.

I think it is a bit silly to equate Jezza with Griffin.
  • Options
    Just watching Everton v Liverpool I had a flash back to standing on the terraces with my dear Father at the 1966 world cup match, Brazil v Portugal, with the greats, Pele and Eusebio on the same pitch. 53 years ago, over half a century - how time flies and many happy memories
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

But this isn't a game or a sporting contest. Its an important political decision that impacts on millions, and we need to get it right.
  • Options

Floater said:
    If a bunch of BNP entryists joined the Conservatives, I don't believe you would leave the party. You would stay and fight, and try to purge the extremists. Why should Labour members and representatives do otherwise?
    If they joined the party, of course we'd stay and fight.

If they became leader of the party and told the rest of us we weren't welcome and to f... off and join another party - then, eventually, most us would probably leave.
This discussion has been closed.