Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour should win Newport West

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour should win Newport West

Byelectionitis is not a condition that usually afflicts the Conservative Party and, to be fair, nor is it doing so now. The demands of government and particularly Brexit are inevitably occupying the attention of the Party and its members, both activist and elected. All the same, the flurry of positive polls for the Tories since the TIG split suggesting a Con lead of around 7-8% over Labour begs the question of whether they can win Newport West.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    First!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There is a difference between a poll lead and actual support or enthusiasm. The Tories' poll lead rests almost entirely on antipathy to Corbyn and grim respect for Mrs M hanging in there against all the odds. Change both leaders and the lead melts away.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    Third!
  • Options
    4/1 is a bit stingy, but it’s possible we could see a range of candidates upsetting things and splitting votes.

Will the TIG group stand someone on an independent anti-Brexit ticket, or will Farage himself stand for his new party? One of our Welsh posters (@YBarddCwsc?) mentioned a big local issue in the plans to bypass the M4 Brynglas tunnels, so maybe we have a candidate standing for or against that development too.

It’s possible to lay Lab at 1.28 on Betfair Exchange, which is better than backing Con for the same price.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2019
    I'd be quite surprised if someone didn't stand as an independent, pledging to join TIG if elected. If they can get any kind of campaign going, it has the potential to absolutely wreck Labour in this contest.

Edit: er, or possibly the Tories instead.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    Another factor to be allowed for is that this byelection is caused by death rather than defection or scandal. That tends to benefit the incumbent party, voters dont like unnecessary elections.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Fantastic piece, thanks David.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,370
    edited March 2019
    Thanks for the very interesting header.

Looking back through a few election, the Lab majority has broadly been withering on the vine. To me that has the feel of the process that has happened in Bolsover to Skinner (largest employer: McArthur Glen shopping centre) and Mansfield to Alan Meale over the last 30 years.

How do incomers to Newport vote, even though the redevelopment of ex-steelworks land is not major yet?

As I see it, there will probably be both TIG and "Brexit - Yur !" candidates.

Are Momentum active here?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ah, the B-word. Betrayal. Expect to hear it endlessly over the coming months. Whatever form of Brexit we end up with, Brexiteers will say it betrays the Brexit dream, Remainers that it betrays the British people, young people that it betrays their hopes of a bright future.

In the years to come we also face another mighty wave of betrayed anger: the rage of Leave voters who thought Brexit would cut immigration. Some who campaigned for Leave would rather that the referendum was all about sovereignty (which they consider a high-flown and principled reason) rather than immigration (which they think base and a little racist). Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/leavers-immigration-hopes-will-be-betrayed-ps29sjrc6
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    MattW said:

Looking back through a few election, the Lab majority has broadly been withering on the vine. To me that has the feel of the process that has happened in Bolsover to Skinner (largest employer: McArthur Glen shopping centre) and Mansfield to Alan Meale over the last 30 years.

How do incomers to Newport vote, even though the redevelopment of ex-steelworks land is not major yet?

The Steelworks redevelopments are in Newport East.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Foxy said:

Another factor to be allowed for is that this byelection is caused by death rather than defection or scandal. That tends to benefit the incumbent party, voters dont like unnecessary elections.

Not a cast iron law though. The Lib Dems won Eastbourne after Ian Gow had been blown up by the IRA.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903
    Scott_P said:

Ah, the B-word. Betrayal. Expect to hear it endlessly over the coming months. Whatever form of Brexit we end up with, Brexiteers will say it betrays the Brexit dream, Remainers that it betrays the British people, young people that it betrays their hopes of a bright future.

In the years to come we also face another mighty wave of betrayed anger: the rage of Leave voters who thought Brexit would cut immigration. Some who campaigned for Leave would rather that the referendum was all about sovereignty (which they consider a high-flown and principled reason) rather than immigration (which they think base and a little racist). Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/leavers-immigration-hopes-will-be-betrayed-ps29sjrc6

Fortunately it would seem that Boris Johnson is now a busted flush, and with luck we will hear less and less from him for, at least, a while.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The Tories don't sound too hopeful on this.

The 'old Labour' areas in Newport may not be impressed with the current Labour party but there's next to no chance of them switching to the Tories. A lot of Labour voters would have to stay at home for the Tories to nick this seat.
  • Options
    Penddu said:

MattW said:

The Steelworks redevelopments are in Newport East.
    Thanks for that correction.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:

Thanks for identifying before 7am, the piece that haughty Remainers are going to spend the day furiously Tweet-wanking to each other, in a vain attempt to distance themselves from the racist Deplorables who had the temerity to vote the 'wrong' way.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    edited March 2019
    Artist said:

The Tories don't sound too hopeful on this.

The 'old Labour' areas in Newport may not be impressed with the current Labour party but there's next to no chance of them switching to the Tories. A lot of Labour voters would have to stay at home for the Tories to nick this seat.

Agreed. I would say this is a 10/1 shot at best for them.

Ironically from what I know of the seat a hard-right anti-immigration pro-Brexit candidate campaigning on immigration and in favour of the M4 relief road would probably have the best chance of winning it for the Tories - so it's probably as well Labour is likely to hold it!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Only 11 days until the first F1 weekend begins. I'll be putting up the qualifying tosh on Friday, given the timing (not getting up at 3am or so to watch a practice session).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

a vain attempt to distance themselves from the racist Deplorables

Like this?

Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    IanB2 said:

There is a difference between a poll lead and actual support or enthusiasm. The Tories' poll lead rests almost entirely on antipathy to Corbyn and grim respect for Mrs M hanging in there against all the odds. Change both leaders and the lead melts away.

I don't necessarily agree with that last point, which underrates the effect that the new leader/s will have.

However, in terms of your point as far as Newport West goes, you're right and it's a point I should have made in the article: at the by-election, there is no risk of a Corbyn government - unlike, obviously, at a general election. The incentive to support a government not well regarded in order to keep out a Leader of the Opposition even less-well regarded is therefore not present. Anti-Corbyn voters need to be motivated by a desire to actively vote against him, rather than a concern over what he might do if elected, which requires a much stronger degree of dissatisfaction.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927
    Going back to last night's bribe to Labour leave seats - it's not going down well

https://twitter.com/annaturley/status/1102349071438807040

I suspect any Labour MP who was thinking about voting for the deal will be having doubts especially when the figures are this clear.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,975
    eek said:

Going back to last night's bribe to Labour leave seats - it's not going down well

I suspect any Labour MP who was thinking about voting for the deal will be having doubts especially when the figures are this clear.

Is she running a protection racket now? Does she not give the bung to constituencies whose MPs don't vote for the fucking shit deal? Or do they get it no matter how they vote?
  • Options
    MattW said:

I don't think that's quite true. You're right that Newport West has swung to the Tories over the last few elections, beyond that in the national vote share (Labour had a lead of 36% in 1997), but that I think represents a particularly good pair of elections in 1992 and 1997 (in 1992, Flynn won with a 17% lead). Go back further and the Tories won the seat in 1983 and might well have defended it in 1987, when the added to their vote share but Labour took even more out of a collapse in the local Liberal vote (something not replicated on a national level, where the Alliance vote only declined slightly).

This isn't the same as Bolsover, where back in the 1980s, there was a rock-solid Labour majority (about 14k in both 1983 and 1987 - and they were the smallest for Labour since the seat was first fought in 1950).
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Is she running a protection racket now? Does she not give the bung to constituencies whose MPs don't vote for the fucking shit deal? Or do they get it no matter how they vote?
    And you can bet that whatever formula the government came up with would direct strangely large amounts towards the rural areas within those regions, as well.

And I doubt leave voting and relatively poor areas along the south coast and in the south west will be very happy, either.

May does have a remarkable talent for coming up with ideas that upset absolutely everybody.

And to think some PB Tories believe the 2017 campaign was a one-off!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Normally, the only party that has a history of taking these South Walian seats from Labour are local, community-based, left-wing independents (cf Peter Law, S.O Davies, etc).

The Welsh Government must surely have to come to a decision about the M4 relief plans by then (6 line by pass of Brynglas Tunnels). The report is on Mark Drakeford's desk. I expect he will approve this controversial scheme.

That will surely generate local candidates opposed to the road.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,303
    Foxy said:

Does not the death of a sitting MP render a by-election necessary ?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Yes, that is the point. This is a necessary byelection, not an unnecessary one for which voters might punish the incumbents.
  • Options
    How much did the DUP get for each of their votes?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,927
    IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

And you can bet that whatever formula the government came up with would direct strangely large amounts towards the rural areas within those regions, as well.

And I doubt leave voting and relatively poor areas along the south coast and in the south west will be very happy, either.

May does have a remarkable talent for coming up with ideas that upset absolutely everybody.

That doesn't really work in the North East - Even the rural seats are safe Labour (bar the two marginals that are really North Yorkshire).
  • Options
    By the way, I've added a note that I wrote this piece last Friday, before the Opinium poll/s came out at the weekend. I don't think these fundamentally change the big picture as TIG won't stand a candidate and while it's possible that some independent might try to ride on their coat-tails, I think it would be very difficult to do in practice when that person will have no campaign data, no volunteer network, and - without the open endorsement of TIG, which won't come - no media interest.

The 6% lead reported in the non-TIG-included Opinium poll is slightly down on others recently but still represents a pro-Con swing since the 2017GE but not, IMO, anything like big enough to make the Tories contenders in Newport unless exceptional local factors are in play.

Obviously, that's not to say that things can't change between now and polling day - most obviously, *something* important will happen regarding Brexit, and there's also the chance of Labour's divisions worsening. But as things stand, it should be a comfortable gain, and the chances of a significant change in the Tories' favour over the next month big enough to put the by-election on a knife-edge are a good deal less than 4/1.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Yes, that is the point. This is a necessary byelection, not an unnecessary one for which voters might punish the incumbents.
    And when it comes to by-elections, is there any evidence of punishment anyway? Dick Taverne won back in 1973, as did Carswell, and Davis (the ultimate avoidable by-election), and the LibDems even held Eastleigh with Huhne in jail.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

That doesn't really work in the North East - Even the rural seats are safe Labour (bar the two marginals that are really North Yorkshire).
    Berwick is Tory as is Hexham

Anyhow there is enough potential 'interest' from Tory rural areas within those regions as a whole to incentivise some government creativity when it comes to working up the allocation
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112

By the way, I've added a note that I wrote this piece last Friday, before the Opinium poll/s came out at the weekend. I don't think these fundamentally change the big picture as TIG won't stand a candidate and while it's possible that some independent might try to ride on their coat-tails, I think it would be very difficult to do in practice when that person will have no campaign data, no volunteer network, and - without the open endorsement of TIG, which won't come - no media interest.

The 6% lead reported in the non-TIG-included Opinium poll is slightly down on others recently but still represents a pro-Con swing since the 2017GE but not, IMO, anything like big enough to make the Tories contenders in Newport unless exceptional local factors are in play.

Obviously, that's not to say that things can't change between now and polling day - most obviously, *something* important will happen regarding Brexit, and there's also the chance of Labour's divisions worsening. But as things stand, it should be a comfortable gain, and the chances of a significant change in the Tories' favour over the next month big enough to put the by-election on a knife-edge are a good deal less than 4/1.

This seems to me an obvious downside of the Tiggers not making themselves a party yet. No party, no candidates, no members that aren't already in the House of Commons. For a new party starting out by elections are mana from heaven and they are a lot less frequent than they used to be. They can't afford to keep missing out. If they think their grouping has a future as a party they need to get on with it.
  • Options

Normally, the only party that has a history of taking these South Walian seats from Labour are local, community-based, left-wing independents (cf Peter Law, S.O Davies, etc).

The Welsh Government must surely have to come to a decision about the M4 relief plans by then (6 line by pass of Brynglas Tunnels). The report is on Mark Drakeford's desk. I expect he will approve this controversial scheme.

Law and Davies were not just "local, community-based, left-wing independents" but sitting MPs / AMs.

That said, I don't think that Newport West is quite the same in nature as an ex-mining Valleys seat.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Bishop Auckland is not in Yorkshire!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    John Harris:

I always thought people on the left understood as a matter of instinct: that when faced with bigotry, you listen not to voices of denial and doubt, but to the people on the receiving end of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/labour-antisemitism-party-left-bigotry
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

This seems to me an obvious downside of the Tiggers not making themselves a party yet. No party, no candidates, no members that aren't already in the House of Commons. For a new party starting out by elections are mana from heaven and they are a lot less frequent than they used to be. They can't afford to keep missing out. If they think their grouping has a future as a party they need to get on with it.
    David Owen's view on TWIW was interesting. He argued that they shouldn't bother with council or by-elections and instead become a movement focused entirely on the next GE and breaking the two-party system. Meantime they should gather supporters and build a movement and not be distracted with fighting wards and individual seats. He also suggested they shouldn't bother with a party organisational structure or even a single leader in parliament, beyond that needed to identify GE candidates.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Like this?

Consider Boris Johnson’s recent rather weaselly remarks that he “didn’t say anything about Turkey during the referendum”, despite his multiple mentions of possible Turkish accession to the EU, the letter he wrote to David Cameron in June 2016 saying that “the only way to avoid having common borders with Turkey is to vote leave”, the poster run by his campaign stating that “Turkey (76 million people) is joining the EU”.
    Yes but what are the betting implications? Boris cannot become leader because as The Times shows, he would be, and would make the Conservative Party, vulnerable to the same sorts of attacks deployed against Corbyn and Labour over antisemitism. Rival Tory leadership candidates will have files full of this stuff, so lay Boris for leader.

Boris is the current ERG candidate-presumptive, with JRM's support. The question is who will inherit this ERG support. I don't know, but it might be worth scanning through the longer-priced runners.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

David Owen's view on TWIW was interesting. He argued that they shouldn't bother with council by-elections and instead become a movement focused entirely on the next GE and breaking the two-party system. Meantime they should gather supporters and build a movement and not be distracted with fighting wards and individual seats. He also suggested they shouldn't bother with a party organisational structure or even a single leader in parliament, beyond that needed to identify GE candidates.
    That seems to me to be extremely foolish. Even in these days of En Marche and instant media parties need structure and profile on the ground to build momentum. A local councillor makes it so much easier to get media attention. A party that is entirely the head but with no body is a weak one very dependent on well known and recognised candidates which they won't have in most constituencies. Owen really should know better.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,975
    IanB2 said:

There are many grotesque facets to May's persona but perhaps the most offensive is the way she blithely assumes that everyone is as dimwitted as the middle aged tory dullards with which she surrounds herself. She has spent an entire career being an unflagging porte-drapeau for a party which has been performing economic and social bukkake on these regions. Are we seriously expected to believe that she's suddenly found a spark of compassion for Worksop in her heart of fractured flint?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Like this?

Yes but what are the betting implications? Boris cannot become leader because as The Times shows, he would be, and would make the Conservative Party, vulnerable to the same sorts of attacks deployed against Corbyn and Labour over antisemitism. Rival Tory leadership candidates will have files full of this stuff, so lay Boris for leader.

Boris is the current ERG candidate-presumptive, with JRM's support. The question is who will inherit this ERG support. I don't know, but it might be worth scanning through the longer-priced runners.
    However it's also the case that the ERG has pissed off very many of their party colleagues, and it remains to be seen whether they have it in themselves to work for any sort of redemption. So it is quite possible that ERG endorsement will prove the kiss of death for any candidate.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Isn’t the elephant in the room that polls in this vote open 128 hours after Brexit?

The result will be affected by the tone of euphoria/disaster/indifference which will lead every front page and bulletin for the 5 days before: is May the hero of the nation, a traitor, or in the middle of a Cobra meeting in Folkestone?

And given we’re not overrun with scoobies as to what’s likely to happen, predicting this one feels even trickier than usual!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

I don't think it is that simple. The more problematic legacy will be those far-left entryists or racists who have come in under or developed Corbyn's umbrella and taken up controlling / gatekeeping positions throughout the party, and perhaps whether *that* story gets attention. They will still be there when he has gone.

For example, the two main abusers of Luciana Berger were reportedly the Branch Chair, and the elected representative to the Elected Representative to the National Policy Forum.

Equally, the internal report on Liverpool Riverside is an eye-opener, and there is no shortage of other evidence.

Even after Corbyn, circumlocutions and weasel-words are unlikely to cut it imo.

The Islamophobia claims against the Tories are quite a bit less fundamental in the party, IMO. We can go through the list if you like.

Ref:
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/wavertree-clp-member-in-zionist-attacks-on-luciana-berger-1.480143
    https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/plot-to-oust-mp-ellman-spearheaded-by-a-former-member-of-the-trotskyist-militant-tendency-1.480621?highlight=riverside
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

By the way, I've added a note that I wrote this piece last Friday, before the Opinium poll/s came out at the weekend. I don't think these fundamentally change the big picture as TIG won't stand a candidate and while it's possible that some 6% lead reported in the non-TIG-included Opinium poll is slightly down on others recently but still represents a pro-Con swing since the 2017GE but not, IMO, anything like big enough to make the Tories contenders in Newport unless exceptional local factors are in play.

David Owen's view on TWIW was interesting. He argued that they shouldn't bother with council by-elections and instead become a movement focused entirely on the next GE and breaking the two-party system. Meantime they should gather supporters and build a movement and not be distracted with fighting wards and individual seats. He also suggested they shouldn't bother with a party organisational structure or even a single leader in parliament, beyond that needed to identify GE candidates.
    That seems to me to be extremely foolish. Even in these days of En Marche and instant media parties need structure and profile on the ground to build momentum. A local councillor makes it so much easier to get media attention. A party that is entirely the head but with no body is a weak one very dependent on well known and recognised candidates which they won't have in most constituencies. Owen really should know better.
    He was arguing from the standpoint of knowing better, looking back at the huge amount of time and money and grief that went into all that stuff in the early days of the Alliance.

His was an interesting view (it's the final five minutes of Sunday's programme on BBC Sounds). And, perhaps, better suited to these social media days when it is possible to build a nationwide movement without having to fight campaigns on paving stones and dog mess?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

And when it comes to by-elections, is there any evidence of punishment anyway? Dick Taverne won back in 1973, as did Carswell, and Davis (the ultimate avoidable by-election), and the LibDems even held Eastleigh with Huhne in jail.
    Good point. The classic example is probably Labour's Patrick Gordon Walker, who lost his seat and then lost an engineered by-election back in the 1960s. And the SNP took Govan off Labour when the MP became an EU Commissioner.
  • Options

Isn’t the elephant in the room that polls in this vote open 128 hours after Brexit?

The result will be affected by the tone of euphoria/disaster/indifference which will lead every front page and bulletin for the 5 days before: is May the hero of the nation, a traitor, or in the middle of a Cobra meeting in Folkestone?

And given we’re not overrun with scoobies as to what’s likely to happen, predicting this one feels even trickier than usual!

The elephant will be delayed.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The Truss.

That's how Liz is referring to herself now.

The Truss.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    IanB2 said:

The elephant will be delayed.
    Bringing in to play the ‘indifference’ and possibly ‘traitor’ narratives I mention.

Either way, this week’s headlines about TIGs and anti-semitism are likely to be chip paper by then, notwithstanding Corbyn’s innate ability to douse a fire with plutonium.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    Freggles said:

The Truss.

The Truss.

Because we have no Truss in her due to all her Liez.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

The Truss.

The Truss.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1102478009565618176
  • Options

Law and Davies were not just "local, community-based, left-wing independents" but sitting MPs / AMs.

That said, I don't think that Newport West is quite the same in nature as an ex-mining Valleys seat.
    True, but Dai Davies wasn't.

But, I guess I was wondering whether the controversy over the M4 relief road will split the local Labour party & generate such a candidate. (The Labour AMs are split).

It seems difficult for a by-election candidate not to have an opinion on this huge local issue (which has been dragging on for years). And any opinion will lose some votes.

I'd wait to find out who the Labour candidate is before placing bets.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

John Harris:

I always thought people on the left understood as a matter of instinct: that when faced with bigotry, you listen not to voices of denial and doubt, but to the people on the receiving end of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/04/labour-antisemitism-party-left-bigotry

Jezziah and his ilk should read that and reflect long and hard.

but they will not.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Labour should hold Newport West but given it is now a marginal and Welsh polls show the Labour vote significantly down, the Tories have a chance
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    If Grayling goes global he'll probably end up on the Moon.

The Clangers must be worried. The Soup Dragon is setting up group therapy sessions. But no-one will be able to reach them once Grayling buggers the trains.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,199
    Nice piece.

Re Tiggers I don’t think they should be in a hurry. There will be plenty of time and by-elections to come. We have a FTPA so they don’t need to act too much on 24-hr rolling news time.

With a currently bi-party membership they also have some (as well as Brexit) policy thinking to do.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Sandpit said:

Like this?

So what, none of that stopped Corbyn winning the Labour membership vote 3 times, nor would it stop Boris winning the Tory membership vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So what, none of that stopped Corbyn winning the Labour membership vote 3 times, nor would it stop Boris winning the Tory membership vote.

The point is that Tory MPs can stop BoZo being put to the membership vote.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:

Immigration from the EU to the UK has already fallen significantly since the Brexit vote and is at a 10 year low, Brexit could make no difference to non EU immigration

https://www.sharecast.com/amp/news/news-and-announcements--/immigration-from-eu-into-the-uk-at-10-year-low--3768095.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Immigration from the EU to the UK has already fallen significantly since the Brexit vote and is at a 10 year low, Brexit could make no difference to non EU immigration

Yeah, that's the whole point of the article...

People who voted for Brexit to reduce immigration are going to feel betrayed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Boris does not need to win the MP vote just get to the final 2, the over 100 mainly ERG MPs who voted to no confidence should be more than enough to get Boris to the final two, if IDS and Davis and Leadsom managed it so can Boris
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,137
    Floater said:

John Harris:

Jezziah and his ilk should read that and reflect long and hard.

but they will not.
    Yeh, but Israel etc etc etc...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

https://www.sharecast.com/amp/news/news-and-announcements--/immigration-from-eu-into-the-uk-at-10-year-low--3768095.html
    The most enormous surprise to me is that non-EU immigration has risen as EU immigration has fallen.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Yep. This is not going to end well.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

No, it has fallen from Eastern Europe in particular which has negative migration for the first time to the UK and that was where most of the Brexit immigration concerns lay, non European immigration is unaffected by Brexit but something the new Tommy Robinson style UKIP will capitalise on admittedly
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Having looked at the history of Brynglas, I conclude that Theresa May has some serious competition in can-kicking. The can has been kicked for 20 years.

There are people whose homes lie on the proposed route.

Rosemary Butler said: "I just hope that they can come up with something which is going resolve the situation once and for all and put my constituents out of their misery. "And some of them are in misery at the moment," she said.

That is the AM for Newport West in .... err ... 2013.

At least Theresa May has the excuse she has no effective majority. Welsh Labour don't have any excuse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

the over 100 mainly ERG MPs who voted to no confidence should be more than enough to get Boris to the final two

Unless they prefer someone else
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The most enormous surprise to me is that non-EU immigration has risen as EU immigration has fallen.
    Why would you be surprised, the UK is a first rate economy with good living standards and great education and health systems.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Boris does not need to win the MP vote just get to the final 2, the over 100 mainly ERG MPs who voted to no confidence should be more than enough to get Boris to the final two, if IDS and Davis and Leadsom managed it so can Boris
    Maybe. But there are rumours that a sophisticated operation may be run to spread the support for two non-ERG candidates very carefully. Two could get say 107 each and Boris be left on 100.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, it has fallen from Eastern Europe in particular which has negative migration for the first time to the UK and that was where most of the Brexit immigration concerns lay, non European immigration is unaffected by Brexit but something the new Tommy Robinson style UKIP will capitalise on admittedly

Once again completely missed the point of the article.

The people who voted for Brexit because they didn't like Poles living next door, do not want Bangladeshis either.

They are going to feel betrayed.

This is the uncomfortable truth the Brexiteers don't like to acknowledge, hence BoZo's wild historical reconstruction
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Three of the strongest anti-Boris MPs don't get a vote any longer....as TIGs.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe. But there are rumours that a sophisticated operation may be run to spread the support for two non-ERG candidates very carefully. Two could get say 107 each and Boris be left on 100.
    117 MPs no confidenced May ie over a third of Tory MPs, more than enough to get an ERG candidate in the final two and effectively impossible to stop as if two non-ERG candidates split equally the ERG candidate would top the MP ballot.

ConHome's new Tory members poll this morning has Raab as the main ERG alternative to Boris, the top 3 are all Leavers and the top 2 No Dealers. Boris leads on 25%, Raab is second on 13% and Gove third on 9% just ahead of Javid who is the top former Remainer on 8.6%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/03/our-survey-next-tory-leader-why-johnson-stays-top-with-minimal-effort.html
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Why would you be surprised, the UK is a first rate economy with good living standards and great education and health systems.
    But I thought that Theresa May wanted to respect the referendum result.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Three of the strongest anti-Boris MPs don't get a vote any longer....as TIGs.
    Indeed, thanks to TIG and the Soubry, Allen and Wollaston defections the anti Boris vote is weaker than a month ago
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    Almost funny how the cycle plays out so obviously. A few days of positive noises on the ERG and Labour and then bang, within a single day both are given the pretexts they want not to vote for the deal.

Which means pointless extension probably. Any other option still lacking a majority that provides an excuse not to make a decision. It really is unforgivable how MPs simply do not want to make a call and are content to keep chasing unicorns.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Much of it to fill vacancies in nursing, catering etc created by Brexit and falling EU migration
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Freggles said:

The Truss.

The Truss.

• Options
    On topic, a really good article by David Herdson.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Yep. This is not going to end well.
    It could end well for Tommy Robinson though and the EDL if he really has taken over UKIP.

Robinson's best result is probably Brexit with a Deal, so the Brexit Party of Farage does not really take off as it would if Brexit was revoked but still leaving a feeling of betrayal with hardline No Deal backing white working class Leavers while non EU immigration continues to rise
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

But I thought that Theresa May wanted to respect the referendum result.
    Nothing in it that suggested immigration should be reduced, just controlled and "better" targeted. If I can be so bold as to suggest many leave voters are happier with more educated Australians going through an approvals process than Balkan gypsies exercising treaty rights.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Much of it to fill vacancies in nursing, catering etc created by Brexit and falling EU migration
    Bring the feather!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

the over 100 mainly ERG MPs who voted to no confidence should be more than enough to get Boris to the final two

As stated below that would most likely be Raab
  • Options

Nothing in it that suggested immigration should be reduced, just controlled and "better" targeted. If I can be so bold as to suggest many leave voters are happier with more educated Australians going through an approvals process than Balkan gypsies exercising treaty rights.

Not waht is happening though

As uncomfortable as it may be to say, those from outside the EU are more likely to come from countries whose way of life and beliefs differ from British culture in a problematic way; whose attitudes to women, sexuality and secular freedoms jar with our own. Across swathes of Asia, the Middle East and Africa there prevail attitudes that we rightly condemn as backward and misogynistic. Partly as a consequence of this conflict, some who have migrated to the UK from outside the EU have formed communities that turn their backs on mainstream British culture, preferring isolation to integration.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Once again completely missed the point of the article.

The people who voted for Brexit because they didn't like Poles living next door, do not want Bangladeshis either.

They are going to feel betrayed.

This is the uncomfortable truth the Brexiteers don't like to acknowledge, hence BoZo's wild historical reconstruction
    If they don't like Bangladeshi's and Muslims then as I also state below that offers a chance for the increasingly EDL like Tommy Robinson infiltrated UKIP
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    My reaction
    Freggles said:

The Truss.

The Truss.

We'll start calling you The Freggles.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If they don't like Bangladeshi's and Muslims then as I also state below that offers a chance for the increasingly EDL like Tommy Robinson infiltrated UKIP

by voters who feel betrayed by Brexit.

Glad you got there in the end
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, he is the membership choice, not necessarily the MPs' choice
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609
    And how much will they get under no deal? If they moaning MPs don't all get the balls to go for revocation or a referendum then what do they want? Getting angry at paltry amounts going to the regions isn't going to solve Brexit.

If they want no change then they can back remain like the rest of labour and the tiggers.
  • Options

Gah. I meant "comfortable HOLD".
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

And if they can't agree, and end up splitting their vote?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

117 MPs no confidenced May ie over a third of Tory MPs, more than enough to get an ERG candidate in the final two and effectively impossible to stop as if two non-ERG candidates split equally the ERG candidate would top the MP ballot.

ConHome's new Tory members poll this morning has Raab as the main ERG alternative to Boris, the top 3 are all Leavers and the top 2 No Dealers. Boris leads on 25%, Raab is second on 13% and Gove third on 9% just ahead of Javid who is the top former Remainer on 8.6%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/03/our-survey-next-tory-leader-why-johnson-stays-top-with-minimal-effort.html
    I agree it will be entirely possible that Boris gets through. The 117 though are not all Boris fans I don't think, some just wanted shot of May for a variety of reasons.

But they say the Tory parliamentary party is the most sophisticated electorate in the world, so we will see.

But if Boris or Raab gets to last two, they have won. Simples.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Boris would have to be the primary choice of the ERG and not suffer any (or many) defectors. I don't think he could manage that.

In fact, I'm doubtful that an ERG-type candidate would make the final two at all, and if they did, I'm far from sure they'd win.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    But its not extraordinary. Not in today's Labour Party.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Endillion said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

And if they can't agree, and end up splitting their vote?
    Once one is knocked out he gets the others vote, there will be more than 1 Remainer and Deal candidate too until the last round
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

No, he is the membership choice, not necessarily the MPs' choice
    So what members picked IDS not MPs
  • Options
    Boris Johnson might well not make the last three, never mind the last two. I'm not at all convinced that he will get as far as submitting himself to the verdict of his fellow MPs. He didn't last time.
This discussion has been closed.