Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s WH2016 victory could be the last time the national pop

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s WH2016 victory could be the last time the national popular vote loser becomes President

Map 2702win.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    First? I highly doubt this will be in operation by 2020, 2024 as a minimum as I remember reading about this having 100+ electoral votes back in 2010 when I did a report on it.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Is this the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact? If so, it will need some states which vote Republican to join it before it stands a chance of reaching 270, and the GOP have far too many statehouses for that to be plausible. In theory red states could join this out of principle, but the truth is both sides view this largely through partisan eyes (which isn't to say neither side is right or wrong).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    OT - fun to watch Owen Jones having a meltdown because Labour is being 'smeared' with anti-semitism. 'You ok hun?' seems the only possible response :)
  • Doubt this will go through. The flyover states will never vote for it as they know, if passed, the candidates would just go to the big media markets.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    edited March 2019
    RH1992 said:

First? I highly doubt this will be in operation by 2020, 2024 as a minimum as I remember reading about this having 100+ electoral votes back in 2010 when I did a report on it.

I agree; 2024 is far more realistic as the earliest date this might happen.

That said, Trump will be defeated by a large popular vote majority in 2020 (fingers Xed), so Mike's headline may well be correct anyway.

And there are compelling reasons for the change (unless you don't believe democracy particularly important):
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/26/popular-vote-could-decide-presidential-election-if-these-states-get-their-way/
  • They should ditch the electoral college and switch to the alternative vote, or instant run off voting as they call it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited March 2019
    felix said:

OT - fun to watch Owen Jones having a meltdown because Labour is being 'smeared' with anti-semitism. 'You ok hun?' seems the only possible response :)

It is the only joy I'm getting from this whole anti-semitism stuff.

i particularly enjoyed Owen Jones getting pwned by James Cleverly.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It is the only joy I'm getting from this whole anti-semitism stuff.

i particularly enjoyed Owen Jones getting pwned by James Cleverly.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1102477144175845376
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Can't see this happening. Are you really going to trust Alabama to count fairly?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    tlg86 said:

Can't see this happening. Are you really going to trust Alabama to count fairly?

It would also rely on California not taking a month to count their vote.

PS, I like your new avatar!
  • tlg86 said:

Is there anyone in Alabama that can count?

#BigotedSouthernJokes
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Quincel said:

Is this the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact? If so, it will need some states which vote Republican to join it before it stands a chance of reaching 270, and the GOP have far too many statehouses for that to be plausible. In theory red states could join this out of principle, but the truth is both sides view this largely through partisan eyes (which isn't to say neither side is right or wrong).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

The best chance of it happening is shortly after a future Presidential election which the Republicans win in the popular vote, but lose in the Electoral College, if the Republicans become convinced that is likely to happen to them again, and before the blue states can back out.

This is perhaps possible around about the time that Texas flips to leaning blue, as that would add a large does of inefficient votes to the Republican tally - but I've no idea how long it would take for that trend to reach that point.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    You know who else hated Jews? And ironically because they were ultra-leftists.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Trump would only be the second POTUS to be re-elected after winning first time out while losing the popular vote (GWB the first with only an 0.5% difference between him and Gore). Even with all other instances being in the 19thC, it seems quite a stat to beat even with the current system (or else the US system is truly fcuked).
    tlg86 said:

Well, one obvious follow-on is that when you move from a system of electing state delegates to an electoral college, elected by the states own electoral processes, to a Federal vote total, then it increases the justification for Federal oversight or control of the voting process.

That might be another reason for some states to be wary of it.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Scott_P said:
    That can’t be right!
    We kept being told that Japanese disinvestment is due to other reasons.

Certainly nothing to do with Brexit.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:
    The Tigs need more defections pronto now or the whole thing will fizzle out and leave JC stronger than ever.
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    "Is this going to happen in time for next year’s election?" No
    "That’s hard to say." No
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

tlg86 said:

Well, one obvious follow-on is that when you move from a system of electing state delegates to an electoral college, elected by the states own electoral processes, to a Federal vote total, then it increases the justification for Federal oversight or control of the voting process.

But this is the point, isn't it? As I understand it, for it to become a straightforward popular vote, it would need 2/3 of states to agree to a change in the constitution (someone please correct me if I have got this wrong). This is a way of doing it by the back door. But as long as it's still officially done at state level, the states will be responsible for declaring votes in their state.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    What no new thread on KFC vs Nandos....
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Democrats need to rebuild support in a whole load of states where they have been in opposition for long periods. On the one hand, Donald Trump is helping them do that. On the other, the local Republicans in some states have been astoundingly underhand in the steps that they are taking to thwart the majority when it is not Republican.
  • What no new thread on KFC vs Nandos....

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    On the critical issue of the day - I have been to both Giraffe (boring) and Nando's (just what you need, when you need it).

Oh and Ed's Diner which was a huge novelty and exciting when it came out but has now dissolved into general chaindom.

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.
    Well thats my thinking, but it seems on the previous thread it isn't so clear cut among PB regulars.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_P said:
    Love the desperation from Sky News and Scott P to try and find any kind of bad news and treating something that might happen as something that is happening. Desperate times for the sky will fall in FBPE crowd as Brexit draws closer.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

They should ditch the electoral college and switch to the alternative vote, or instant run off voting as they call it.

Agreed, though I think we should perhaps fix our own absurd system of representation before advising the Americans, and for that matter, other Europeans.
    Why is Hickenlooper at significantly longer odds than Tulsi Gabbard ?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Nandos is certainly more consistent. KFC across the globe suffers probably due to franchise partners.
  • What no new thread on KFC vs Nandos....

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.
    Well thats my thinking, but it seems on the previous thread it isn't so clear cut among PB regulars.
    A lot of PBers have bad taste when it comes to food.

Just see how many like pizzas with pineapples on them.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    edited March 2019
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Morris Dancer endorses fish and chips, not foreignist fast food dens of depravity.

Edited extra bit: (If you're wondering, yes, I do know the origin of fish and chips...).
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Edited extra bit: (If you're wondering, yes, I do know the origin of fish and chips...).

You know who else liked fish and chips...

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.

Can you even fit a whole pineapple on a slice of pizza? :o
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    I don't think Liz needs support.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,087
    Electoral reform even in America, who'd have thought it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited March 2019
    RobD said:

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.

I refer you to the Dunmore pineapple.

Which incidentally is further proof that Scotland isn't fit to be an independent nation.

TOPPING said:

On the critical issue of the day - I have been to both Giraffe (boring) and Nando's (just what you need, when you need it).

Oh and Ed's Diner which was a huge novelty and exciting when it came out but has now dissolved into general chaindom.

The traditional cooked breakfast at Giraffe is OK. They open nice and early and you can sit outside with a dog.

They should ditch the electoral college and switch to the alternative vote, or instant run off voting as they call it.

Agreed, though I think we should perhaps fix our own absurd system of representation before advising the Americans, and for that matter, other Europeans.
    The irony being that it is thanks to us that Ireland has STV and Germany has AMS. Vested interest prevents us from taking our own advice.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited March 2019
    geoffw said:

I don't think Liz needs support.

Is her department budget called the Truss Fund?
    Scott_P said:

Introduced by Jewish immigrants unless Jamie Oliver has misled me. Coincidentally, I shall be enjoying fish and chips every day next week as part of my Cheltenham ritual.

RobD said:

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.

Which incidentally is further proof that Scotland isn't fit to be an independent nation.

I disagree - they are demonstrating rather spectacularly that the pineapple is entirely inedible.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,520
    I don't think I've ever had a Nandos.

Have I missed anything? :)
    And clearly ought to be demoted to a support role in the department of Health...

No.

RobD said:

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.

Don’t give me ideas...

Spicy chicken basically. Popular with yoof for the past 10 years or so, and MOR politicians.
    Anorak said:
    That is a spoof account, though as what he says is true, it qualifies as satire.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,770

No.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Spicy chicken basically. Popular with yoof for the past 10 years or so, and MOR politicians.
    It's good. 10 minutes from order to plate - tops - and damn tasty.

I once won £120 in a Nando's by downing a pint of garlic and chilli sauce. Could taste it for days...
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Not obviously fighting, but not obviously surrendering either:

https://twitter.com/marinamaral2/status/1102575190716936192
  • Scott_P said:
    There's a Twitter rumour that she is about to be made Head of Complaints by Labour, which is a very on-brand move.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    My goodness. The end could come quicker than the bunker realises:
    https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1102567832498421760
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

As I said on the earlier thread, Nando's is another high street chain that industrialises cruelty by failing to offer free range chicken. We really need to end battery farming and, if it means eating less chicken (and less meat), then so much to the better. We eat too much meat anyway.
  • My goodness. The end could come quicker than the bunker realises:

Christ on a bike.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But this is the point, isn't it? As I understand it, for it to become a straightforward popular vote, it would need 2/3 of states to agree to a change in the constitution (someone please correct me if I have got this wrong). This is a way of doing it by the back door. But as long as it's still officially done at state level, the states will be responsible for declaring votes in their state.
    Yes on day one.

There would be problems in practice and that would encourage further reform.

Scott_P said:

Introduced by Jewish immigrants unless Jamie Oliver has misled me. Coincidentally, I shall be enjoying fish and chips every day next week as part of my Cheltenham ritual.
    Battered fish goes back at least as far as 13thC Iberian Arabs, though.

(And the Portugese introduced tempura to Japan, I believe.)
    _Anazina_ said:

As I said on the earlier thread, Nando's is another high street chain that industrialises cruelty by failing to offer free range chicken. We really need to end battery farming and, if it means eating less chicken (and less meat), then so much to the better. We eat too much meat anyway.
    I stopped buying cooked chicken from Sainsbury's when they dropped the "high welfare" option. Perhaps if they'd called it "tastes less like cardboard smeared with spicy gloop" it would have sold more.

Christ on a bike.
    Maybe her first act will be to ban herself?

Christ on a bike.
    They are trolling the MPs to leave, surely?
    By the way, on the hot issue of Giraffe. Went once, to the branch in Chiswick (I doubt it is still there). It was awful – full of screaming children. The food was massively overpriced and utterly mundane. If it's USP was "appealing to families and fussy eaters" it deserves to go: only in Britain would we feed children bland food from birth so they grow up being averse to flavour. Children should not be given separate diets and most children's menus are utter garbage.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes on day one.

There would be problems in practice and that would encourage further reform.
    Yes, waiting two weeks to see whether California can be arsed to count their votes to find out if they have enough to get the Democrat over the line won't be very edifying.
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1102506770583425025

For a party that bangs on about for the many not the fews, they don't half pick their staff from a very very small cliche of people.
  • My goodness. The end could come quicker than the bunker realises:

Christ on a bike.
    They are trolling the MPs to leave, surely?
    It does look like it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited March 2019
    Feck, just seen the sad news about Keith Flint, now listening the The Prodigy turned up to 11.

Music for my jilted generation, first concert I ever went to aged 15 in 1993. RIP. :cry:

_Anazina_ said:

I stopped buying cooked chicken from Sainsbury's when they dropped the "high welfare" option. Perhaps if they'd called it "tastes less like cardboard smeared with spicy gloop" it would have sold more.
    A bizarre move from Sainsbury's – there is actually a fairly high awareness of these issues among the public.
    Sandpit said:

Feck, just seen the sad news about Keith Flint, now listening the The Prodigy turned up to 11.

Music for my jilted generation, first concert I ever went to aged 15 in 1993. RIP. :cry:

Took his own life apparently.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

The traditional cooked breakfast at Giraffe is OK. They open nice and early and you can sit outside with a dog.
    Giraffe - scene of the UK's 9/11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Exeter_attempted_bombing

Scott_P said:

For a party that bangs on about for the many not the fews, they don't half pick their staff from a very very small cliche of people.
    Great Freudian slip!
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Urquhart, sad to hear.
    _Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:

Great Freudian slip!
    LOL...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    This shows how far Brexit has slipped from expectations in the months following the referendum.

edited March 2019
    OT knife attacks (or murders as we used to call them) were all over the front pages today.

This might have political fallout. Let's see if "the Sajid" will reverse Theresa May's 20,000 police cuts or at least establish a judge-led enquiry. Next PM punters will be watching!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

Sandpit said:

Took his own life apparently.
    Sadly that appears to be the case.

I’m sure he wouldn’t have wanted more than a brief tear to be shed, before everyone goes back to the party.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YV78vobCyIo
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,960
    Ishmael_Z said:

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

Giraffe - scene of the UK's 9/11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Exeter_attempted_bombing
    That really is the definition of a failed suicide bombing - when the only person injured is the bomber.....
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Scott_P said:
    CFOs like to have numbers to fill in their spreadsheets. Right now, there are simply a lot of "unknowns" in the UK, and so it's hard to be able to make sensible forecasts.

This will all get sorted out in time, but right now it's a definite drag.

RobD said:

No discussion required.

Both are appalling.

That would make the ultimate pizza restaurant....
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    On topic, surely the answer is to split the EC votes for each state in line with the proportions of votes cast for each party, as , IIRC, Maine does. The idea of an electoral college in a country with some very populous and some very thinly populated states is reasonably sound but the idea of suggesting that Texas is all Rep and California all Dem is as daft as FPTP is here, and has similar consequences.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited March 2019
    The TIG can only afford a few more from the Tory party . Otherwise May will call an election but of course the Tories don’t want her to fight one .

A max of three Tories moving would be just enough to cause panic in the government but not enough for them to lose their working majority .

I think matters could come to a head next week depending on the whip arrangements . If Mays deal goes down what next .

A free vote on the no deal and extension would be the safest route . If the government whipped to support no deal the Tories would implode , if they whip against no deal the ERG will implode .

An interesting side story what does May vote for . Can she avoid the vote because coming down on one side or the other is going to cause big problems for her.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    _Anazina_ said:

_Anazina_ said:

A bizarre move from Sainsbury's – there is actually a fairly high awareness of these issues among the public.
    The same public that was happy enough eating Tesco's horseburgers until it was pointed out to them what they contained?

Or are you saying that acted as some sort of catalyst for much greater awareness; because if so I haven't seen much evidence of it (outside certain hipster-y areas of London) where it existed previously.
    edited March 2019
    I have never been to a Nandos.

Although, when I went with a group of birders to Arizona, we did clear out the stock of cooked food at a KFC (who were just about to close) for ten bucks.

Would have fed the 5,000.....
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Afternoon all :)

For some reason, I draw considerable comfort from knowing I live in a "golden age of political blundering".
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Scott_P said:
    She's second cousin of Louella Fletcher-Michie, the girl who died at Bestival from her boyfriend's drugs
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Nigelb said:

Why is Hickenlooper at significantly longer odds than Tulsi Gabbard ?

Worth noting that it looks like Colorado will be on Super Tuesday, with Texas and California. This means Hickenlooper will likely be one of five candidates with state wins by March 3rd - assuming Beto stand in (and wins) Texas.

If he can put in place a decent number of second/third places in other states, that puts him in quite a good position.
    Scott_P said:
    Labour Party 0 the Jews 1

(Chris WIlliamson not even on the bench...)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Not Tommy Robinson? Is he being saved for Peterborough?
  • On topic, surely the answer is to split the EC votes for each state in line with the proportions of votes cast for each party, as , IIRC, Maine does. The idea of an electoral college in a country with some very populous and some very thinly populated states is reasonably sound but the idea of suggesting that Texas is all Rep and California all Dem is as daft as FPTP is here, and has similar consequences.

Maine and Nebraska don't split by party vote but by Congressional district. This means one party can still win all the votes but sometimes they split (last time in Maine, Trump won CD2, and Hillary CD 1 and statewide so Maine split 3-1 for Hilary)
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

This shows how far Brexit has slipped from expectations in the months following the referendum.

Strange. In all the stuff I've read about Brexit, I've never heard anyone suggest that the other nations of the world would rise up against the EU if we had to leave the Single Market. Surely the author just dreamed up the notion for it never to be visited again.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    "This was not the first time this has happened."

Why didn't they act before?

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Just up on the Guardian's site
    'A charity run by Prince Charles received donations from an offshore company that was used to funnel vast amounts of cash from Russia in a scheme that is under investigation by prosecutors, the Guardian can reveal.'

It goes on
    'There is no suggestion that end recipients of funds were aware of the original source of the money, which arrived via a disguised route. However, the documents indicate that criminal and legitimate money may have been mixed together, making it impossible to trace the original source, before passing through screen companies into the global banking system.'
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

Never in modern history have so many allegedly well-informed people been so deluded.

"Easiest trade deal in history"

"We hold all the cards"

"Have our cake and eat it"

All utter bollox

Never in modern history have so many allegedly well-informed people been so deluded.

"Easiest trade deal in history"

"We hold all the cards"

"Have our cake and eat it"

All utter bollox
    On that first quote, Fox was right that it should be the easiest. He went on to say it wouldn’t be.
This discussion has been closed.