Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whilst the Tories plough on totally divided over Brexit LAB ha

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Finally...somebody rules themselves out of running for POTUS 2020...

Hillary Clinton has ruled out a second US presidential run in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47453302
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
    stodge said:

Morning all :)

Extraordinary to see the Prime Minister's comments about the reduction in Police numbers not being related to rising knife crime not being more widely discussed. I suspect if you asked most people how they would combat crime the answer might be more Police on the streets (and more stop and search powers arguably).

I thought Stop and Search is racist!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581
    MattW said:

Watson is interested in power. There is no advantage for Watson in Tigger-ing.

... unless he thinks that it will replace Labour, and is more to his advantage. (A machiavellian analysis).

Will it? No idea.

But sweet revenge if we have any Liberals who were there in 1920.
    Agreed.

Really, anything could happen over the next year.
    The two major parties will probably retain their hegemony, but that is less certain now than at any time since the formation of the SDP.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,581

Finally...somebody rules themselves out of running for POTUS 2020...

Hillary Clinton has ruled out a second US presidential run in 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47453302

She probably realised that if she now pitched in, no one would notice.
    And this way, she retains a certain amount of influence.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited March 2019

Yes, I hate Corbyn. But I hate the Tories more.

Why?
    I guess everyone has their own reasons. Here's my own personal list:
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    Destroying local services by cutting council funding by half
    The treatment of the miners
    The poll tax
    Testing the poll tax out in Scotland
    Section 28
    Young Conservatives with hang Mandela badges
    Margaret Thatcher
    Margaret Thatcher's voice
    Tory attitude towards Ireland
    Fox hunting
    Welfare reforms that have led directly to deaths
    Food banks
    Cutting taxes for people like me who already have plenty of money
    Boris Johnson and his garden bridge
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

I'm sure I've missed loads and others will have their own greatest hits to add to the list.
    Decent list.
    I'd add the creepy claims to progressiveness in an effort to convince the gullible that they're not the same old Tories. Of course the last two and a half years have been a great cleansing corrective to that auld bollocks.
    Possibly similar to creepy claims from Nationalists that they are inclusive, with their efforts to convince the gullible that they are not really the nasty, hate filled bigots that we all know they are!
    Pavlov's yapper kicks off again.

You can probably get some therapy based treatment for this OCD thing you have, if the Tories haven't reamed out the budget for your mental health trust.
    Re union comment - I know you love your chips up there, so you must be very popular
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

stodge said:

Extraordinary to see the Prime Minister's comments about the reduction in Police numbers not being related to rising knife crime not being more widely discussed. I suspect if you asked most people how they would combat crime the answer might be more Police on the streets (and more stop and search powers arguably).

This is a big question interviewers should ask Labour MPs (rightly) complaining about the knife crime figures. If you want more police, how will they stop the crimes without targeted stop-and-search ?
  • Options

stodge said:

This is a big question interviewers should ask Labour MPs (rightly) complaining about the knife crime figures. If you want more police, how will they stop the crimes without targeted stop-and-search ?
    They will witter on about community outreach.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Anorak said:

DougSeal said:

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

I'm sure I've missed loads and others will have their own greatest hits to add to the list.
    +1

As a teenager, becoming aware of/interested in politics for the first time I heard about Section 28 and thought "how can anyone be so f**king spiteful". Since I reached voting age I have voted Labour, Lib Dem, Green on one occasion but I swore as a 14 year old I would never, ever vote Tory because of that one section. Personally I don't give a monkeys about fox hunting, and am ambivalent about renationalising the railway, but there's enough else on @OnlyLivingBoy 's list to fill anyone's list of reasons, particularly Ireland and welfare reform for me.
    Section 28 was an abomination. It's gone and now the Tory Party are largely ok with LBGT rights. I cannot speak for their membership, of course.

I note with some irony the Labour MP for Birmingham Ladywood has been campaigning against LGBT awareness lesson in schools.
    Indeed. Section 28 was wrong but then it was a Tory PM who legalised gay marriage. So times have changed.
    Marvellous work by Dave, and against a majority of his own mps as well.
    Cameron announced the EU referendum the day before the first reading of the same-sex marriage bill in parliament.
  • Options

stodge said:

It is! White grandmothers never got stopped!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Do you still hate the Germans for the Blitz??
    They bombed our chippy!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,978

Pulpstar said:

On mining, Labour closed plenty of pits !

IIRC more were closed during the Wilson/Callaghan years than in the period from 1979 to the Miners' Strike
    The reciprocal of the fact that Margaret Thatcher, as Education Sec, closed more Grammar Schools than under Labour.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Can the BBC become even more pro Tory and pro the PM.

The desperate attempts to give her cover for her delusional comments on knife crime means we’ve reached rock bottom . We now await Laura K to give us her daily May is a martyr battling for Britain guff .
  • Options

stodge said:

C'mon, targeting is racist!
  • Options

stodge said:

So how will extra policemen help?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

stodge said:

I think that evidence-based stop-and-search passes muster. ie. target it in areas of high knife-crime. If those areas are say 50% white and 50% black, then as long as half the people that the police stop are white, no sensible person is going to play the racism card.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    nico67 said:

The desperate attempts to give her cover for her delusional comments on knife crime means we’ve reached rock bottom . We now await Laura K to give us her daily May is a martyr battling for Britain guff .

Policing is one of many elements that influence the level of knife crime.

Social aspects, modern lifestyle, influences from media, games, films and peer groups, drugs (using, buying and selling are all potential drivers), education, respect, family, austerity and prospects can all be a part of the cause.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    I obviously don't take every utterance of Diane Abbott as verbatim, but the assault on Corbyn seems to have been downplayed if her account is correct; unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any video or pictures of it.
    The Met wouldn't charge someone with assault by beating if it was a simple 'chucked egg' so I can understand Corbynites ire at the way this incident has been reported. We await the court case on the 19th March anyway.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Congratulations on holding a grievance for so long that everyone involved in the policy is long-since retired, if not dead. Perhaps you might like to add opposition to the Great Reform Act too?

I'm also still holding that grievance. It's not just the policy, it's the kind of person you'd have to be to support the policy. People who joined the party as teenagers or students at that time are generally in their 40s, 50s and 60s now, ie they're in charge of the country, and I reckon you can draw a straight line from that to Windrush, Go Home vans and the whole brexit shitshow. Note that two out of three of the TIG defectors are people who joined the party after the era of Section 28 and Hang Mandela was gone.

This is what makes the Labour anti-Semitism problems so bad, because even after you've hosed out the specific behaviour at issue, you're still left with a whole generation of the kind of people who thought it was OK.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    stodge said:

I disagree with the central assertion were Labour led by a centrist they would be miles ahead in the polls. If there were no Brexit, perhaps but if a centrist Labour leader backed remain that would alienate the core of Labour leavers still further. The divisions in Labour on a second vote would still exist and would be causing the centrist leader a lot of problems.

Is that asserted in the thread header?

I thought that the implication was clear that it is Corbyn's personal failings of leadership that are holding Labour back, rather than a failure of strategic positioning.

While Corbyn's election as Labour leader was the biggest boost to left-win politics in Britain for decades, it is increasingly clear that every day he remains in post damages the credibility of left-wing politics in general.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Dadge said:

stodge said:

I think that evidence-based stop-and-search passes muster. ie. target it in areas of high knife-crime. If those areas are say 50% white and 50% black, then as long as half the people that the police stop are white, no sensible person is going to play the racism card.
    This falls down as in any area of the nation as there are a tranche of non sensible people in every area, who will complain for a reason that suits the agenda they wield.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Jessop, ha, those videos are rather good.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I grew up through the Blair years. I resent Labour somewhat for various things, in particular the constant fiddling with the educational system, tuition fees (albeit I dodged most of the impact of that one), the collapse of the graduate job market just as I was finishing university and the extended cuts to public services ever since then as a result of financial mismanagement in their third term, and the vastly inferior pension I'll eventually end up on due to Brown taxing final salary schemes out of existence. Also Iraq; why the hell not.

But I don't think I'd say I'd never vote for them because of any of that. I'd probably be unlikely to, simply because I can't see the reasons now why a future Labour government wouldn't make similar (or worse) mistakes, particularly on the economy. And I know plenty of lifelong Tories from my parents' generation who voted for Blair at least once because he was simply a better option at the time, despite memories of the 70s.

Presumably today's Labour activists would argue (with some justification) that today's leadership opposed, or would have opposed, nearly everything Blair and Brown did between 1997 and 2010. But surely the same is true for Cameron/Osbourne and most of the lists people are posting from the 80s? No one seriously believes that today's Conservative party would reintroduce Section 28, or anything close to it. And most of the rest of the list is arguable stuff that a Labour government would have had to deal with similarly (hostile environment started under Labour; Milliband's proposed cuts in 2015 weren't far away from Cameron's).

Are Tories just less angry and resentful than Labour supporters? That doesn't feel right. Certainly they're no less obsessed with history. Must just be a tribal thing.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

stodge said:

Perhaps if the police spent more time chasing criminals and less time building dashboards showing stop and search statistics, we'd never have known what a hotbed of crime Westminster has become under the Tories.
    https://www.met.police.uk/sd/stats-and-data/met/stop-and-search-dashboard/
  • Options
    Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

There's your problem: many people (and I'm not including you in this) lack any sense when it comes to such things.

And why just differentiate between white and black? Why not have to ensure that 50% of all searches are of females? And surely the elderly should be searched as well, to show the police are not discriminating against the young?

I understand the annoyances someone gets from being repeatedly stopped by the police- an Asian friend of mine suffered from it. However it seems an obvious (perhaps too much so) way forward.
  • Options

stodge said:

making the tea?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Decent list.
    I'd add the creepy claims to progressiveness in an effort to convince the gullible that they're not the same old Tories. Of course the last two and a half years have been a great cleansing corrective to that auld bollocks.
    Possibly similar to creepy claims from Nationalists that they are inclusive, with their efforts to convince the gullible that they are not really the nasty, hate filled bigots that we all know they are!

You can probably get some therapy based treatment for this OCD thing you have, if the Tories haven't reamed out the budget for your mental health trust.
    Re union comment - I know you love your chips up there, so you must be very popular
    Keep up the English classes, but do remind your teacher that comprehensibility is just as important as comprehension.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

stodge said:

"sensible" is a high bar
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    nico67 said:

No different to Rachel Sylvester in The Times where every article channels the shade of George Osborne. It’s deeply tedious.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

It took Labour 13 years for centrists to regain control of the party after Foot was elected in 1980 and Militant gained influence

No, it took 3 years. Foot was elected leader in 1980, he left office in 1983, to be succeeded by Kinnock.

It took the SDP much longer to break the mould. In fact we're still waiting.

(I note it is acknowledged Tories who are so enthusiastic about the Labour moderates splitting. I wonder why ... I wonder why)
    Just because they'd be happy doesn't mean it's not also a good idea. If the only reason someone wont split is because of hatred for another what a depressing situation that is.

I hope they both split more, but I think Watson and co have seen off the Tiggers. Those that are left see it as a fight to have.
    Maybe a fight which they all but know will be lost and which will help eventually prepare the ground for a much bigger split.

The case for a split is that Labour is confirmed irredemably as an extremist party and as such its electoral destiny will follow the path trod earlier by the Parti Communiste Francaise.
    I really doubt that is right. Nothing is irredeemable in politics.

The reason why Corby's position was strengthened was because he was electorally more successful than anyone ever imagined (albeit in a very odd election against a very poor opponent). Corby deserves credit for that.

But another GE defeat would see Corby in his allotment.

For sure, his successor is not going to be another Blair (thank God), but it will be someone like Thornberry, or ..... even Watson.
    Have you not considered the possibility that Corbyn might again significantly exceed expectations in an election campaign?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

It won't. Police very rarely catch criminals in the act.
  • Options

Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

There's your problem: many people (and I'm not including you in this) lack any sense when it comes to such things.

And why just differentiate between white and black? Why not have to ensure that 50% of all searches are of females? And surely the elderly should be searched as well, to show the police are not discriminating against the young?

I understand the annoyances someone gets from being repeatedly stopped by the police- an Asian friend of mine suffered from it. However it seems an obvious (perhaps too much so) way forward.
    Back in the late 50's, as a top teen/early 20's young white male, I was stopped and searched two or three times when out late at night. I found all of therm intrusive and offensive, and one particularly so.
    I was breathalysed about five or six years ago by a policeman who was clearly very disappointed that the result was negative.
  • Options

Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

I grew up in London in the 80s and 90s and the only time I have been stopped and searched was when I went to an environmental protest in Kent.

Why was this? Was it because the police could tell that I was a harmless middle-class kid?

If that is the case why are they unable to make that judgement for harmless middle-class black kids?

If it was because I was white, then the problem isn't targeted stop-and-search, but badly targeted stop-and-search, because there are surely lots of white kids walking around with knives.
  • Options

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Decent list.

Keep up the English classes, but do remind your teacher that comprehensibility is just as important as comprehension.
    Glad you got my message
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Live tweeting Fiona Onasanya trying to overturn her conviction. Representing herself. Could be going better.
    https://twitter.com/AlexofBrown/status/1102881223117025281
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

He’s absolutely right.
    But where he might be wrong is in the implied assumption that Brexit will dominate a general election campaign. Beyond the first week or so , I do not expect that to be true.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Live tweeting Fiona Onasanya trying to overturn her conviction. Representing herself. Could be going better.

https://twitter.com/AlexofBrown/status/1102884686743900161
  • Options
    glw said:

it's not about catching them in the act of committing an active attack with a knife: it is to catch them carrying a knife, which can then be disposed of, and the carrying offence dealt with.

It's not a nice answer, it's not an easy answer, and it's only a part of what should be done. But it might be one part of the solution.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

Did an unknown mystery Russian man take them without her consent?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Old legal maxim, I understand. 'A lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client.'
    Applies to women as well, I expect.
  • Options

Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

I grew up in London in the 80s and 90s and the only time I have been stopped and searched was when I went to an environmental protest in Kent.

Why was this? Was it because the police could tell that I was a harmless middle-class kid?

If that is the case why are they unable to make that judgement for harmless middle-class black kids?

If it was because I was white, then the problem isn't targeted stop-and-search, but badly targeted stop-and-search, because there are surely lots of white kids walking around with knives.
    The only times I have been stopped was with an Asian friend in a Midlands town, late at night. I was bemused, he was polite but livid afterwards - whilst not a common occurrence, it had happened enough times to be annoying.

Then again, stopping two 18-year old lads, walking along the edge of a dual carriageway at night, might have been seen as an opportunity to check our welfare as well!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Half of those are positive reasons to vote Conservative.
  • Options

Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

You must know you're over simplifying
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2019
    On topic of last thread, the 538 podcast from yesterday addresses Hickenlooper as well as the electoral college and popular vote compact.
  • Options

Then again, stopping two 18-year old lads, walking along the edge of a dual carriageway at night, might have been seen as an opportunity to check our welfare as well!

A forerunner to Farage's Brexit march.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anorak said:

she doesn't yet know what story she has to invent so how could she
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Perhaps, but which half? Like spending money on advertising. Half is wasted, but which half?
  • Options

it's not about catching them in the act of committing an active attack with a knife: it is to catch them carrying a knife, which can then be disposed of, and the carrying offence dealt with.

If you are planning on stabbing someone you don't need to carry a knife all the time, only at the time of the attack. So I suppose you might catch the idiot carrying a knife all the time, but you are less likely to catch people planning on using knives to commit violent crimes.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, are you collecting knives or trying to prevent violent crime? Of course the Police/Home Office might be entirely happy to go with the former, as it's a lot easier, and they can trumpet the number of stops, arrests, confiscated knives, and so on.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Perhaps, but which half? Like spending money on advertising. Half is wasted, but which half?
    Thatcher, Thatcher's voice, the miners, food banks, privatised trains, Ireland, fox-hunting, tax cuts, welfare reform.
  • Options

Or they were bored.

I do think there's a very strong risk of creating a cycle of confirmation bias with poorly targeted stop and search. You stop mainly non-white kids because of your bias. You find more knives from non-white kids (because you aren't stopping the white kids who are carrying knives). You have evidence that it's non-white kids who are carrying knives - so you are more likely to stop non-white kids.

It's not like we can expect officers on the beat to carry out a statistically accurate Bayesian calculation on this. And all the algorithms are being set up to make the same sort of mistakes - but then it will be computers making the decision so they must be right.
  • Options
    glw said:

If you are planning on stabbing someone you don't need to carry a knife all the time, only at the time of the attack. So I suppose you might catch the idiot carrying a knife all the time, but you are less likely to catch people planning on using knives to commit violent crimes.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve, are you collecting knives or trying to prevent violent crime? Of course the Police/Home Office might be entirely happy to go with the former, as it's a lot easier, and they can trumpet the number of stops, arrests, confiscated knives, and so on.
    According to someone in my village, some kids are carrying them fairly routinely - allegedly as a 'defensive' aid, but mostly to look cool and hard to their compatriots. It's help stamp that out for a start.

I also wonder if your assumption is correct - how many of these crimes are utterly premeditated: go home, get a knife, come back and stab someone - and how many are because of an argument that got out of hand, and became fatal because someone happened to have a knife?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A forerunner to Farage's Brexit march.
    We were very drunk. At least I was; as a good Muslim, my friend was only quite drunk. :)
  • Options

glw said:

According to someone in my village, some kids are carrying them fairly routinely - allegedly as a 'defensive' aid, but mostly to look cool and hard to their compatriots. It's help stamp that out for a start.

I also wonder if your assumption is correct - how many of these crimes are utterly premeditated: go home, get a knife, come back and stab someone - and how many are because of an argument that got out of hand, and became fatal because someone happened to have a knife?
    A lot of knife crime is unpremeditated, so reducing the incidence of people carrying knives would have an effect.
  • Options

Or they were bored.

I do think there's a very strong risk of creating a cycle of confirmation bias with poorly targeted stop and search. You stop mainly non-white kids because of your bias. You find more knives from non-white kids (because you aren't stopping the white kids who are carrying knives). You have evidence that it's non-white kids who are carrying knives - so you are more likely to stop non-white kids.

It's not like we can expect officers on the beat to carry out a statistically accurate Bayesian calculation on this. And all the algorithms are being set up to make the same sort of mistakes - but then it will be computers making the decision so they must be right.
    This is where the data on https://www.met.police.uk/sd/stats-and-data/met/stop-and-search-dashboard/ could come in useful, as a statistician could look at it and try and make proper sense of the numbers. One for @viewcode perhaps ?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    glw said:

How many stabbing are planned though? Pretty sure a good number are opportunistic, e.g. that ****'s on the wrong turf, get him.
  • Options

Dadge said:

stodge said:

"No sensible person"

You must know you're over simplifying
    I'm a mathematician. Simplifying is what we do, and you *have* to simplify things to an extent to make them tractable.

I do not accept that I was simplifying too far.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Lisa Nandy - what a bag of wind
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    One key way to reduce knife crime is for middle class types to stop snorting cocaine.

• Options
    glw said:

This is utter tosh! Carrying the kind of knife that makes up the collection of seized knives regularly displayed is a criminal offence even if the carrier claims he uses it to pick his nose. Why would you carry something like that not knowing that, if you got caught, you're nicked. The punishment should be more severe - my wife thinks they should lose a finger every time but I wouldn't go that far.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

A lot of knife crime is unpremeditated, so reducing the incidence of people carrying knives would have an effect.
    I’d say it is, but usually hair-trigger.

Something as simple as looking at someone or being believed to have looked at someone - pumped high on testosterone, insecurity and driven by peer pressure to look for a challenge to face down - can be enough. Or laughing near them (misinterpreted as at them) or making a comment or asking a question.

I’m not sure extra police numbers really tackles the root causes of that.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in the loss reported case of a North American political leader in trouble: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-47447976
  • Options

glw said:

This is utter tosh! Carrying the kind of knife that makes up the collection of seized knives regularly displayed is a criminal offence even if the carrier claims he uses it to pick his nose. Why would you carry something like that not knowing that, if you got caught, you're nicked. The punishment should be more severe - my wife thinks they should lose a finger every time but I wouldn't go that far.
    There's also the matter of the source of these knives. It is, apparently quite easy to buy quite nasty devices over the counter in spite of it being theoretically illegal.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, yeah, but police numbers do comfort the public, and attacking cuts is convenient for the Opposition and police (we'd be doing so much better if only the politicians would give us more money etc).
  • Options

Or they were bored.

The available breakdown of involvement in crimes committed with knives is not subject to the selective bias you mention.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Or they were bored.

This is where the data on https://www.met.police.uk/sd/stats-and-data/met/stop-and-search-dashboard/ could come in useful, as a statistician could look at it and try and make proper sense of the numbers. One for @viewcode perhaps ?
    I see my old borough is top of something. And 58.3% related to drugs - you could rename the plod the drug enforcement agency and it would be more accurate.
  • Options

glw said:

How many stabbing are planned though? Pretty sure a good number are opportunistic, e.g. that ****'s on the wrong turf, get him.
    That would imply they knew enough about them to know they’re on the wrong turf. That’s the case in gang on gang turf wars but quite a bit of this latest spree seems to just be teenagers attacking teenagers.

I’m far from safe but I suspect if I was walking in a public park in London in a suit during the day, as a professional, I suspect I’d be at a lower risk of being randomly stabbed by youths.

If I was a teenager with casual clothes I’d be very scared at the moment and might not go out alone at all.
  • Options
    Mr. P, the use of language in that cartoon is the clunkiest I've seen since The Last Jedi.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

One key way to reduce knife crime is for middle class types to stop snorting cocaine.

Try telling that to Vaz
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Quite frankly, that's not a lot, even though costs are to be added. As the defendant didn't file a defence I wonder whether he's a man of straw or rich enough to be 'not bothered'.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That's true generally, but the cases that cause recent concern may lean more towards gang or drugs related causes and often are premeditated.

The family or neighbourhood argument that turns into a stabbing is not likely to be stopped. That's if you like the "background level" of knife crime.
  • Options

Quite frankly, that's not a lot, even though costs are to be added. As the defendant didn't file a defence I wander whether he's a man of straw or rich enough to be 'not bothered'.
    Always best to be careful what you say online. If you're going to insult someone, make sure you don't defame their character is my golden rule.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Quite frankly, that's not a lot, even though costs are to be added. As the defendant didn't file a defence I wander whether he's a man of straw or rich enough to be 'not bothered'.
    Always best to be careful what you say online. If you're going to insult someone, make sure you don't defame their character is my golden rule.
    +1

Best to be polite, even if you disagree profoundly.
  • Options

glw said:

There's also the matter of the source of these knives. It is, apparently quite easy to buy quite nasty devices over the counter in spite of it being theoretically illegal.
    There are some pretty lethal kitchen knives too but cutting that source would be very difficult. However, I agree that, symbolically at least, some attempt should be made to take out the obviously lethal weapons designed only to kill or maim.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Accusing someone of being a paedophile could result in that person being assaulted.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, yeah, but police numbers do comfort the public, and attacking cuts is convenient for the Opposition and police (we'd be doing so much better if only the politicians would give us more money etc).

It’s a simple (and expensive) answer to what is a complex problem.

What are these police going to do? Where will they be deployed? What mandate will they be given?

I expect the public think they’ll be out on the beat on every street corner and conducting random stop and search of every youth.

That’s very far from the case - they could be allocated all sorts of ways: replacing PCSOs on a 1:1 basis in some areas, doing more social visiting of troubled members of the community, investigating old cases, reinforcing existing squad cars or spending more time monitoring social media or reviewing CCTV for evidence of traffic violations or just increasing salaries and pensions.

We shouldn’t be surprised by the police using a crisis headline for more resources but this shouldn’t be done uncritically either.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Quite frankly, that's not a lot, even though costs are to be added. As the defendant didn't file a defence I wonder whether he's a man of straw or rich enough to be 'not bothered'.
    I don’t think he’s rich, no.
    Pete North is the son of Richard North who wrote the Brexit ur-text, “The Great Deception” with Telegraph journalist Christopher Booker.

Pete himself is no slouch, he’s an incredibly well-informed advocate for an EEA Brexit.

However he also has the tendency to fly off the handle and turn abusive to his critics.

Reminds me of one or two on here.
  • Options

"More money" is the cure for everything, which it would be if it grew on trees.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I don’t think he’s rich, no.
    Pete North is the son of Richard North who wrote the Brexit ur-text, “The Great Deception” with Telegraph journalist Christopher Booker.

Pete himself is no slouch, he’s an incredibly well-informed advocate for an EEA Brexit.

However he also has the tendency to fly off the handle and turn abusive to his critics.

Reminds me of one or two on here.
    Hmm. Thanks.

£20k plus costs.....??? double it??? That does seem penal. Doubt he'd get much on a crowdfunding basis, either.
  • Options

Mr. P, the use of language in that cartoon is the clunkiest I've seen since The Last Jedi.

I’ve never seen a cartoon of his that doesn’t make me cringe with embarrassment.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Scott_P said:
    As far as I can tell, Fiona Onasanya can still vote in the House. Her vote may indeed may prove decisive in coming weeks.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Or they were bored.

Have a look at the "search proportionality" tab and then select Kensington and Chelsea.
  • Options
    Well that didn't take long, one wonders how she passed all her legal exams to be honest.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    As far as I can tell, Fiona Onasanya can still vote in the House. Her vote may indeed may prove decisive in coming weeks.
    Presumably she can until a recall petition with enough signatures is lodged.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
  • Options

I’ve never seen a cartoon of his that doesn’t make me cringe with embarrassment.
    They are almost always crap. When it comes to newspaper cartoons there's Matt who is consistently good, a huge chasm, and then the rest, with Steve Bell being perhaps the worst.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

I guess the solution is to do what the US do with funding speculative science and technology research: In their case military expenditure is politically bombproof, so they fund stuff as part of the military.

In Britain everyone wants more police, but actually stopping crime needs social workers and probation officers, so give the social workers and probation officers little helmets and make them part of the police.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Sean_F said:

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Where are the negative reasons? :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder if the bestselling author who called me a paedophile on here had that post removed in his great vanilla purge of everything gamey? Got a couple of big bills coming up.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    blueblue said:

Sean_F said:

Why?
    Windrush scandal
    Go Home vans
    Cuts to school spending
    The poll tax
    Section 28
    Margaret Thatcher
    Fox hunting
    Food banks
    Privatised trains
    George Osborne's face

Where are the negative reasons? :)
    Apart from Section 28 and Mandela, to be fair!
  • Options

In Britain everyone wants more police, but actually stopping crime needs social workers and probation officers, so give the social workers and probation officers little helmets and make them part of the police.

Quite probably a better suggestion than anything we will hear from our political parties today.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I wonder if the bestselling author who called me a paedophile on here had that post removed in his great vanilla purge of everything gamey? Got a couple of big bills coming up.
    for chips?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Scott_P said:
    If the government decided to introduce new laws relating to solicitors’ conduct, she could vote on those, which is pretty close to remarkable. In essence she could create laws for people that her conduct means that she’s unfit to being part of.

Even by the standards of laying, fraudulent, criminal MPs, that’s pretty remarkable..
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Or they were bored.

Have a look at the "search proportionality" tab and then select Kensington and Chelsea.
    Wonder how many Notting Hill residents make sure they're safely in Tuscany near the end of August...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Or they were bored.

Wonder how many Notting Hill residents make sure they're safely in Tuscany near the end of August...
    Have a look at the reason filter. It looks like the big increase in 2018 was done using the section 60 power (i.e. the police don't need a reason).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    glw said:

When I lived in sarf Lundun, the police in a panda car did indeed catch two crims, in the act of walking our telly across the road to their house, one each end.

However...they were each charged with burglary. And only burglary. They each said that the other had gone into the house and come out with the telly. They were only helping. Because it couldn't be proved which of them had been in the house - a requirement for the charge of burglary - they both got off. No charge of receiving stolen goods, or conspiracy.

We were reduced to glaring at them across the street.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    TGOHF said:

Or we could legalise and regulate.
    You’re never going to stop people taking cocaine recreationally.

Take the industry out of criminal hands.
This discussion has been closed.