Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile, Labour is redefining the domestic consensus

13»

Comments

• Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Roger said:

It is odd that we should show sensitivity to a 15 year old girl who joined a death cult because she was groomed when the two Bulger killers aged 10 who were from the most dysfunctional background imaginable got no understanding from anyone.

I wonder whether it's a sex thing-she's female they're male?

There were a few voices saying the 10-year-old killers needed extensive treatment, not prison - I remember a leading Norwegian commentator expressing incomprehension about the sentences. I'm not sure myself - I think you have the assess each case individually and try to assess the level of understanding of right and wrong, and it's difficult when we only read about them from our armchairs.
    Reports claim that while technically imprisoned they were showered with support and resources.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,811

Mr. Roger, people tend to be happier condemning men than women for crime, and less willing to look for mitigating circumstances.

It's a belief that's outlived its time. When the law placed a woman under the control of her husband or father, it was fair to treat women more leniently than men, in terms of punishment.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Labour to introduce indefinite tenancies which of course will end buy to let and devastate properties for rent, thereby increasing rents substantially. They do not have a clue

Which would mean an increase in properties for sale thus boosting home ownership.
    And would hurt Labour in the long run.
    Is there a link to this indefinite tenancies policy? I thought they were looking at 3 year tenancies.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-would-protect-renters-german-14108707
    As a fellow accidental landlord, it looks like I will now have to sell before GE 2022. I do not want to be in a position where I am responsible for letting out a house for the rest of my life. I was looking at maybe another five to ten years max.

I suppose the details will be important: can a tenancy be terminated in order to sell the property? If not, then no wonder the Labour Party want out of the human rights of the EU. Right to enjoy property is one I believe.
    Scotland already has indefinite tenancies. So I guess that could be the model.

Details here:

https://blog.openrent.co.uk/scotland-axes-no-fault-evictions-new-tenancy-rules/

The landlord can evict if selling within three months.

Let's hope Labour adopt these rules.
    Selling within three months? Or putting on the market in three months? There is a very significant difference.

As for Labour, they have also discussed forcing people to give the state first refusal of any property for sale. I wouldn't trust any protection they offered in any case given the Labour left's long tradition of corruption and dishonesty (and especially that of Corbyn and Macdonnell).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,718

"Big dictionary of disgrace" apparently is a North Korean term of insult....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47440041

I have to say I quite like that one.

My new favorite insult is "You are a bird, A whole pterodactyl". I've tried googling it but every hypothesised interpretation is obscene.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Labour to introduce indefinite tenancies which of course will end buy to let and devastate properties for rent, thereby increasing rents substantially. They do not have a clue

Which would mean an increase in properties for sale thus boosting home ownership.
    Is there a link to this indefinite tenancies policy? I thought they were looking at 3 year tenancies.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-would-protect-renters-german-14108707
    As a fellow accidental landlord, it looks like I will now have to sell before GE 2022. I do not want to be in a position where I am responsible for letting out a house for the rest of my life. I was looking at maybe another five to ten years max.

I suppose the details will be important: can a tenancy be terminated in order to sell the property? If not, then no wonder the Labour Party want out of the human rights of the EU. Right to enjoy property is one I believe.

Details here:

Selling within three months? Or putting on the market in three months? There is a very significant difference.

As for Labour, they have also discussed forcing people to give the state first refusal of any property for sale. I wouldn't trust any protection they offered in any case given the Labour left's long tradition of corruption and dishonesty (and especially that of Corbyn and Macdonnell).
    "Mandatory Grounds for Eviction in Scotland
    1. The landlord intends to sell within 3 months of the tenant leaving"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,811

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

If one lets out a property for a fixed term, it's reasonable to want it back at the end of it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

That's still horrendously unclear and ambiguous.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. F, I agree, but it's one of those inconvenient areas of equality that takes away a feminine benefit, so it tends to get pushed less (see also women angry at their pension age going up).
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

Seems it has to be decided by something called the First-Tier Tribunal.

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

Seems it has to be decided by something called the First-Tier Tribunal.
    Do any of our Scottish posters, especially lawyers, know what has been decided by the said tribunal? There must have been a test case in the last 18 months.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

Text from Scottish Government guide to new tenancy for landlords:

"1. Landlord intends to sell the let property

This ground applies if you plan on putting the let property up for sale within three months of the tenant moving out.

You'll need evidence to prove it – this could include a letter from a solicitor or an estate agent, or a recent home report for the property."
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    viewcode said:

My new favorite insult is "You are a bird, A whole pterodactyl". I've tried googling it but every hypothesised interpretation is obscene.
    Old and stupid?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Details here:

This ground applies if you plan on putting the let property up for sale within three months of the tenant moving out.

You'll need evidence to prove it – this could include a letter from a solicitor or an estate agent, or a recent home report for the property."
    Right, so it is 'on the market.' Thank you.

But I don't see Corbyn agreeing that, and I wouldn't trust him if he did.
  • Options
    So, in the best case (i.e. Labour adopts the already running Scottish rent system), then a landlord will need to prove they are definitely selling by going to a tribunal with a letter from their solicitor or estate agent who is handling the sale.

Presumably, this can usually be done by letter and post, rather than appearance in person?

Be good if there are any Scottish PBers around who could comment, as ydoethur says.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,102
    ydoethur said:

Mr. Doethur, hang on. Tim Curry played, effectively, Satan in that film with Tom Cruise. In it, the former wanted to kill the last unicorn.

So is Satan for or against leaving the EU?

What film? If it had Cruise in it I'm guessing it wasn't very good.
    You dissing Top Gun?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Mr. Doethur, hang on. Tim Curry played, effectively, Satan in that film with Tom Cruise. In it, the former wanted to kill the last unicorn.

You dissing Top Gun?
    Valkyrie?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    "I have nothing but sympathy for the children that have been dragged into this." - Sajid Javid.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

snip.

Right, so it is 'on the market.' Thank you.

But I don't see Corbyn agreeing that, and I wouldn't trust him if he did.
    Well, he wants some landlords to be able to sell, so that he can use his 'the State has first refusal on buying it' policy.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Old and stupid?
    It's difficult to find out because it's American young-people slang about an obscene subject and so not set in stone. However, my best guess is the "bird" bit refers to the bobbing-up-and-down motion of the head during [redacted][redacted], similar to the bobbing motion of a bird whilst eating. The "pterodactyl" bit modifies the insult, making the person older and less attractive. So it's somebody who is desperate enough to do anything to get attention and is too old and unattractive to be fussy about who they do it with.

So (thinks for a minute) Vince Cable?
  • Options

Well, he wants some landlords to be able to sell, so that he can use his 'the State has first refusal on buying it' policy.

In fairness, it isn't his policy. Although that said, I can't believe (a) LRM came up with it by himself or (b) that he wouldn't have discussed it with Corbyn before mentioning it in public.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    Valkyrie?
    The entire Mission Impossible franchise???!!! Yes, even the second one.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    Valkyrie?
    Minority Report?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    Valkyrie?
    Minority Report?
    God yes. Brilliant film.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330

Details here:

The system is long-standing in Germany, which has a far more extensive rental sector than we do:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/09/labour-would-force-uk-landlords-to-offer-indefinite-tenancies
  • Options

Details here:

which has a far more extensive rental sector than we do:
    And there is our problem, in a nutshell.

Wouldn't it be better if both parties stopped messing around with palliatives for the symptoms, and worked on the basic problem?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    GIN1138 said:

Yorkcity said:

malcolmg said:

What I don't understand is this - are the Tory ministers actually stupid or do they believe they are the only not stupid people and that everyone else is stupid.

Crime as an example. As the Tories took a knife to police funding Home Secretary May was told in explicit detail what would happen to intelligence gathering and the awful consequences of that. No it won't she told the police, only for it to happen exactly as described.

Now we have the spectacle of ministers trying to insist that May was right, what the police said would happen thanks to cuts might have happened but its definitely not down to cuts, and besides which here's more money so it's fixed. That the money proffered is a fraction of what has been cut doesn't seem to register.

It's the old rule. Voters will vote for a competent bastard or an incompetent sweetie, but not an incompetent bastard. Which the Tories demonstrably are. Except of course that Brexit remains the wild card along with Jezbollah, and almost anything unpredictable can happen going forward

Would you be willing to see stop and search increased as a temporary measure to try to tackle knife crime, whilst longer-term measure are introduced?
    Yes. Whilst I understand the concerns of the BAME communities about stop and search, it is predominantly their communities who are both carrying knives and falling victim to knives.
    Never mind temporary , they should be swamping these places, rounding up the knife carriers and locking them up for a very long time. Stop the liberal snowflake whining about it being racist or not nice or whatever, just stop it. Police seem to have time to chase people when some halfwit phones up and says they have been offended by a comment on twitter. Get those that are left out on the streets nicking these halfwits.
    Lots of Police personell do not like walking around town aimlessly with a big hat on anymore.
    No they'd rather drive around aimlessly in a comfortable, air-conditioned car. :D
    Or sit at HQ scoffing doughnuts
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597

Details here:

The system is long-standing in Germany, which has a far more extensive rental sector than we do:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/09/labour-would-force-uk-landlords-to-offer-indefinite-tenancies
    Presided over by the well known Trot Merkel.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Yorkcity said:

malcolmg said:

What I don't understand is this - are the Tory ministers actually stupid or do they believe they are the only not stupid people and that everyone else is stupid.

Crime as an example. As the Tories took a knife to police funding Home Secretary May was told in explicit detail what would happen to intelligence gathering and the awful consequences of that. No it won't she told the police, only for it to happen exactly as described.

Now we have the spectacle of ministers trying to insist that May was right, what the police said would happen thanks to cuts might have happened but its definitely not down to cuts, and besides which here's more money so it's fixed. That the money proffered is a fraction of what has been cut doesn't seem to register.

It's the old rule. Voters will vote for a competent bastard or an incompetent sweetie, but not an incompetent bastard. Which the Tories demonstrably are. Except of course that Brexit remains the wild card along with Jezbollah, and almost anything unpredictable can happen going forward

Would you be willing to see stop and search increased as a temporary measure to try to tackle knife crime, whilst longer-term measure are introduced?
    Yes. Whilst I understand the concerns of the BAME communities about stop and search, it is predominantly their communities who are both carrying knives and falling victim to knives.
    Never mind temporary , they should be swamping these places, rounding up the knife carriers and locking them up for a very long time. Stop the liberal snowflake whining about it being racist or not nice or whatever, just stop it. Police seem to have time to chase people when some halfwit phones up and says they have been offended by a comment on twitter. Get those that are left out on the streets nicking these halfwits.
    Lots of Police personell do not like walking around town aimlessly with a big hat on anymore.
    No they'd rather drive around aimlessly in a comfortable, air-conditioned car. :D
    Or sit at HQ scoffing doughnuts
    Never heard prisoner interrogations called that before.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065

Only by a negligible amount. Osborne's tax changes means it's already cheaper to buy to live in tban buy to let.

Most renters do so because they are not in a position to buy. Either because they don't want to buy or can not afford to. Not because there's not enough homes on the market.
    If houses which are rented are no longer rented then they will be either left empty or sold to non-renters.
  • Options

So, in the best case (i.e. Labour adopts the already running Scottish rent system), then a landlord will need to prove they are definitely selling by going to a tribunal with a letter from their solicitor or estate agent who is handling the sale.

Presumably, this can usually be done by letter and post, rather than appearance in person?

Be good if there are any Scottish PBers around who could comment, as ydoethur says.

Luckily I still have mine under the old Short Assured Tenancy.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    I can't think of a single Tom Cruise film that wouldn't have been improved by replacing him with a better actor
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2019
    Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

London & Capital Finance have gone bust (surprise, surprise). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47454328

The BBC story is, of course, all about the "victims" who apparently didn't realise that a fixed rate return of 8% on an ISA just might involve some risk. They may not have known that the company that ran the advertising campaign was getting 25% commission on the money raised (making the returns required up to 44% according to the Administrator) but did they really think that was possible?

Am I alone in thinking that these people have been both greedy and stupid and that it is utterly hypocritical to now seek to blame a regulator for them being both?

Reminds me of people investing in Icelandic Banks back in 08.
    I did not agree at the time with our government compensating them.
    I see one of the related directors according to the article is called Paul Careless!!

Peer to peer lending/innovative finance ISAs are potentially risky and there is no FSCS protection if the firm goes bust. Its worrying that some people are putting their entire life savings into such schemes. Still does this some up modern Britain today?! No doubt all the bosses and Directors will be free to take similar roles in the future and won't face any action legal or otherwise at all!

"Christine Anderson put thousands of pounds into LCF. She runs her own business, a surf school in Devon.

"They have done very well out of hard-working people - a lot have put some or all of their savings into this company," she said.

"The directors and ex-directors are living the life of Riley from what I can see, with their helicopters, their horses and their properties.

"It is very sad that this could have been allowed to happen."
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    I can't think of a single Tom Cruise film that wouldn't have been improved by replacing him with a better actor
    I don't think that's his appeal. His schtick is to stand there, say his lines reasonably well, look extraordinarily handsome, then do something insanely dangerous to a great soundtrack. His action films are pretty much the gold standard for that genre and he's so good at it now he has no peers. That really is him hanging off the Burj Kalifa, it really is him hanging off the A400M, it really is him breaking his leg jumping from a London building then clambering up to complete the shot. He is possibly the biggest action star in the history of talkies.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, some Tom Cruise running action

https://youtu.be/Rz4S2cODH5M?t=74
  • Options
    viewcode said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    I don't think that's his appeal. His schtick is to stand there, say his lines reasonably well, look extraordinarily handsome, then do something insanely dangerous to a great soundtrack. His action films are pretty much the gold standard for that genre and he's so good at it now he has no peers. That really is him hanging off the Burj Kalifa, it really is him hanging off the A400M, it really is him breaking his leg jumping from a London building then clambering up to complete the shot. He is possibly the biggest action star in the history of talkies.
    You're clearly not selling him short.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,200
    I met her the other day after a debate I attended at which she was speaking. I was quite impressed. On a personal level I really warmed to her. Sure - she has her faults. Who doesn’t. But overall an impressive personality - and a possible future for Labour once (if?) the Corbynistas depart the stage.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

London & Capital Finance have gone bust (surprise, surprise). https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47454328

The BBC story is, of course, all about the "victims" who apparently didn't realise that a fixed rate return of 8% on an ISA just might involve some risk. They may not have known that the compa that ran the advertising campaign was getting 25% commission on the money raised (making the returns required up to 44% according to the Administrator) but did they really think that was possible?

Am I alone in thinking that these people have been both greedy and stupid and that it is utterly hypocritical to now seek to blame a regulator for them being both?

I agree with DavidL and I would probably include PPI and Endowments in that as well, but I think you are being harsh re the Icelandic Banks. At the time I was moving deposits around prior to buying a house so putting money on deposit in a number of banks and keeping my limit under the UK compensation threshold in each. They were under the same UK protection scheme as other banks, the rates were good, but not more than could be got elsewhere (I was in several UK banks at the same rate). So why would you treat them differently? The bank may have been reckless, but the people putting money on deposit weren't being so. You can't remove the protection retrospectively and if the Govt decides to increase the protection as the Govt did you can't pick and choose which ones if they were under the same UK protection scheme.
    There was also the issue that what was on the FSA website about the protection given to investors in Icelandic banks was misleading and incorrect. If the government had not compensated savers it would likely have found itself in a court case, the last thing they needed at the time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    It was the height of hyperbole
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    It was the height of hyperbole
    You boxed yourself in.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    [deleted]
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Who knew ! People warm to MPs who look like they actually care about their constituents. The Commons needs a lot more like Jess Phillips .

It’s easy to see why she’s liked by so many people .
  • Options
    OllyT said:

ydoethur said:

You dissing Top Gun?
    Name me another actor that have got away with that cheesy bar routine to pull Kelly McGillis in Top Gun?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2019
    Just listening to 'Any Answers'. A caller phoned in suggesting that the EU were responsible for the knife crime in London. She said she was a lawyer educated at London University in the 80's.

Quite a wide range but for all those litigants living in London looking for a lawyer don't say you haven't been warned!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just listening to 'Any Answers'. A caller phoned in suggesting that the EU were responsible for the knife crime in London. She said she was a lawyer educated at London University in the 80's.

Quite a wide range but for all those litigants living in London looking for a lawyer don't say you haven't been warned!

Maybe she was just making a stab at drumming up trade.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I met her the other day after a debate I attended at which she was speaking. I was quite impressed. On a personal level I really warmed to her. Sure - she has her faults. Who doesn’t. But overall an impressive personality - and a possible future for Labour once (if?) the Corbynistas depart the stage.
    She would be my choice. A free thinker and there aren't many of them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

So what thinking has she done ?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

The BBC story is, of course, all about the "victims" who apparently didn't realise that a fixed rate return of 8% on an ISA just might involve some risk. They may not have known that the compa that ran the advertising campaign was getting 25% commission on the money raised (making the returns required up to 44% according to the Administrator) but did they really think that was possible?

I agree with DavidL and I would probably include PPI and Endowments in that as well, but I think you are being harsh re the Icelandic Banks. At the time I was moving deposits around prior to buying a house so putting money on deposit in a number of banks and keeping my limit under the UK compensation threshold in each. They were under the same UK protection scheme as other banks, the rates were good, but not more than could be got elsewhere (I was in several UK banks at the same rate). So why would you treat them differently? The bank may have been reckless, but the people putting money on deposit weren't being so. You can't remove the protection retrospectively and if the Govt decides to increase the protection as the Govt did you can't pick and choose which ones if they were under the same UK protection scheme.
    There was also the issue that what was on the FSA website about the protection given to investors in Icelandic banks was misleading and incorrect. If the government had not compensated savers it would likely have found itself in a court case, the last thing they needed at the time.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FSA limit get massively increased and then compensation paid out on the increased limit, rather than the advertised limit? Or even above it?

I'm going off memory but I seem to recall that the advertised limit prior to the crash was much lower at ~£20k.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

She would be great, ambitious enough to stand and likely to get the backing of the sisterhood.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    One of the sounds of Spring is the Murrayfield crowd.
    I can hear them in my garden about 2 miles away!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Adnan Syed, who was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999 and whose story featured in the 2014 podcast Serial, has been told he will not now get a retrial.

The Court of Appeals of Maryland, the state's highest court, on Friday overruled an earlier decision.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47507841
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

She would be great, ambitious enough to stand and likely to get the backing of the sisterhood.
    She could be the first Prime Minister to tell one of the Tory oafs to go fuck themselves from the dispatch box. What a joy that would be!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Compared what went on in Cologne to a Saturday night on Broad Street:

https://tinyurl.com/yboflrba

Speaking to the Birmingham Mail on Friday, Phillips defended the comments. “In every city there will be places where there are groups of men, drunk, and lots of stuff going on, and women have to constantly worry about being felt up and suffering street harassment,” she said.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Not much for them to cheer!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I'm not a massive Tom Cruise fan, but I rather liked Edge of Tomorrow, and Oblivion.

The latter in particular is a solid, decent but not necessarily spectacular sci-fi film lifted to something considerably better than that by a fabulous musical score.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    tlg86 said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Compared what went on in Cologne to a Saturday night on Broad Street:

https://tinyurl.com/yboflrba

Speaking to the Birmingham Mail on Friday, Phillips defended the comments. “In every city there will be places where there are groups of men, drunk, and lots of stuff going on, and women have to constantly worry about being felt up and suffering street harassment,” she said.
    yeah that was special sauce.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited March 2019
    Of course not only is Corbyn well to the left of Blair but so actually is May clearly to the left of Thatcher in economic terms, supporting more spending on the NHS, an easing of austerity, workers on company boards etc. May is more a Christian Democrat than a Thatcherite and probably the least pro pure capitalism Tory leader since Ted Heath
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

geoffw said:

The Welsh have mighty voices!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,481

eek said:

On domestic matters, it'd be interesting to see how criticism of Javid over the death of Shamima Begum's son plays with the public. Are Abbott and Labour on a winner with their angle?

My Facebook feed has several people who are hopping mad about it; but then they're the Venezuela-supporting, Putin-excusing, Corbyn-loving crowd ...

It's like many things - a great argument until a journalist asks the first question. In this case its "and how, exactly, could we have got them back to the UK?"
    As has been pointed out, UK journos and aid workers are going in and out of the region regularly so there's no impassable barrier to movement.

It's almost impressive the way that this government has gone from big, tough Javid keeping the British public safe and making it clear that Daesh scum have relinquished their rights to UK citizenship, to bleating feebly about not having the mechanisms to evac people.

Almost impressive if you haven't already priced in them being self-serving, principle-free no marks.

Her Dutch husband wanted her to join him in the Netherlands.
    After which a right to live anywhere in the EU can come in a very few years...
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I'm not a massive Tom Cruise fan, but I rather liked Edge of Tomorrow, and Oblivion.

The latter in particular is a solid, decent but not necessarily spectacular sci-fi film lifted to something considerably better than that by a fabulous musical score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkUp1V3ys0
  • Options

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

A freethinker zigs when everyone else zags. She strikes me as being one of those
  • Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

She could be the first Prime Minister to tell one of the Tory oafs to go fuck themselves from the dispatch box. What a joy that would be!
    So that's the 'free thinking' you were boasting about is it ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

kjh said:

Yorkcity said:

DavidL said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FSA limit get massively increased and then compensation paid out on the increased limit, rather than the advertised limit? Or even above it?

I'm going off memory but I seem to recall that the advertised limit prior to the crash was much lower at ~£20k.
    The government paid the total amount which savers had with the banks not up to the limit which existed then which, from memory was £75K. I think also the first £2000 was not compensated hence the concerns of many Northern Rock account holders who would have lost that amount from their savings even if the rest was compensated.

The issue about what was on the FSA website was that it seemed to say that if it went bust the whole amount would be compensated in the UK and not by the Icelandic authorities. That was incorrect; the claim was on the Icelandic authorities not on the UK's compensation scheme. However, it could have formed the basis for a claim against the FSA and was one of the reasons why the government decided to pay out. It really did not need more British savers losing their savings at a time when there was real concern about the fragility of the entire banking system.
  • Options
    I see Rachael from Swindon is back online.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Adnan Syed, who was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999 and whose story featured in the 2014 podcast Serial, has been told he will not now get a retrial.

The Court of Appeals of Maryland, the state's highest court, on Friday overruled an earlier decision.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47507841

I just listened to the podcast 'Hurricane' about the American boxer convicted of the murder of three people in a bar. An interesting case taken up by multiple celebrities including Dylan who wrote the song 'Hurricane' about the injustice. Though he served about 20 years it's difficult having listened to it and got to like him not to think he was almost certainly guilty.
  • Options

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't you like one of our politicians just occasionally to be their own person and not just a grey member of the crowd?
  • Options
    "Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the FSA limit get massively increased and then compensation paid out on the increased limit, rather than the advertised limit? Or even above it?

I'm going off memory but I seem to recall that the advertised limit prior to the crash was much lower at ~£20k."

Peer to peer lenders/innovative finance ISAs/high interest bonds - such as the products London Capital were selling are not FSCS protected so the £85k compensation scheme does not apply. Cash isas and other savings with UK banks, building societies and credit unions are - in most cases - but they are not.

That is made very clear - or should be - when people invest in them.

I would not be impressed if there is any FSCS or taxpayer funded bailout in this case - otherwise do we then compensate for losses on stocks and shares ISAs or pensions when the stockmarket falls?

Its a nice add on for a bit more interest but only for money you could afford to lose - but anyone who invests their life savings in such products is frankly an idiot!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

In early 1965 I was a police officer on duty at Murrayfield. Great atmosphere but it seems a very long time ago - I was a young just married police officer
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I sometimes wonder how different the last two and a half years might have been if Andrea Leadsom had not dropped out of the leadership race. On polls amongst activists she is now seen as the most popular Cabinet minister. Could she really have done a worse job than May I now wonder - at least she would have believed in what she was doing. She might easily have had a better team at the top too e.g. Gove as Chancellor.

A question of what ifs i suppose.

Still if she thinks we are going to get a deal signed off by 29 March she is going to be rather busy as Leader of the House - even if the Commons and Lords sat for 24 hours a day for the next 3 weeks I doubt they could achieve that - let alone with the EU parliament and the 27 member states having a say.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mkUp1V3ys0
    Edge of Tomorrow is very good, I think.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

After a dark and stormy start things are turning out nicely.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,481
    edited March 2019
    Good piece David.

Yep ... Theresa needs a Rottweiler or two (Old Rotspot Joke: What has 4 legs and an arm?). Norman Tebbitt or Kenneth Clarke might go down well.

Meanwhile, another day with D in it, another casual racist in a prominent position crawls out from under Mr Corbyn's stone.

This chap is the official candidate for Executive Mayor for a community of 100k people. Too near to me for comfort. He seems to think that the Havaara Agreement was negotiated under conditions of tolerance, rather than Jews having already been heavily targeted by Hitler and his thugs at the time it was signed. As for 'Zionism and Nazism are equally foul' - ye gods. I wonder if the local paper will pick it up.

That means they are likely to be on their third candidate in 9 months, two months before an election...

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    tlg86 said:
    I'm sure that the horses involved aren't especially fussed. More bothered about being whipped in the name of entertainment.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Wouldn't you like one of our politicians just occasionally to be their own person and not just a grey member of the crowd?
    That rules Jess Phillips out then.

And we're still waiting for an example of the 'free thinking' you mentioned.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    I'm sure that the horses involved aren't especially fussed. More bothered about being whipped in the name of entertainment.
    Perhaps they're masochist horses ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tlg86 said:
    And it's a quantum finish!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

I see Rachael from Swindon is back online.

You mean "Rachael" from Swindon?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    tlg86 said:
    Paddy Power paying out on both horses, big contrast to Betbright's actions recently !
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

In early 1965 I was a police officer on duty at Murrayfield. Great atmosphere but it seems a very long time ago - I was a young just married police officer
    In some ways it does not seem so long ago. Harold Wilson was already PM- Churchill had just died - and I was about to sit the 11plus!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Of course not only is Corbyn well to the left of Blair but so actually is May clearly to the left of Thatcher in economic terms, supporting more spending on the NHS, an easing of austerity, workers on company boards etc. May is more a Christian Democrat than a Thatcherite and probably the least pro pure capitalism Tory leader since Ted Heath

I agree with that.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352
    brendan16 said:

I sometimes wonder how different the last two and a half years might have been if Andrea Leadsom had not dropped out of the leadership race. On polls amongst activists she is now seen as the most popular Cabinet minister. Could she really have done a worse job than May I now wonder - at least she would have believed in what she was doing. She might easily have had a better team at the top too e.g. Gove as Chancellor.

A question of what ifs i suppose.

Still if she thinks we are going to get a deal signed off by 29 March she is going to be rather busy as Leader of the House - even if the Commons and Lords sat for 24 hours a day for the next 3 weeks I doubt they could achieve that - let alone with the EU parliament and the 27 member states having a say.
    Wow - if Andrea Loathsome (as she was commonly known by her workplace colleagues before becoming an MP) is the answer, I think you need a different question. :)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Unknown almost, done nothing , how desperate can Tories be.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said it might have been possible for the government to get the baby out of Syria, although that could have been "politically difficult".
    "The government's position that it's impossible to go and get people out of these camps because it's too dangerous is repeatedly shown to be not entirely accurate, because journalists are able to get to these camps relatively safely.
    "Working with the Red Crescent there for example, it should be possible to go and get people from the camps - if there was a political will."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47506145
This discussion has been closed.