Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest Brexit betting – Monday March 11th 1404GMT

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Oh, and I missed the most important reason from my answer above (bit distracted).

Staying in the EU but more loosely *might* have satisfied both wings, certainly in the soft, floaty centre. Pro-EU types could be glad we were still in, sceptics could be relieved we'd loosened the tentacles.

The referendum to stay or go (whichever side won) was always going to be far more polarising. A looser relationship as a member had the potential to be unifying around a soft-sceptic/pro-EU position.

Unity is not necessarily the hallmark of the current situation.

Importantly, Crown of Blood, by me, comes out 6 April, and you should buy it (and the preceding entries in the trilogy if you haven't yet). The tale of a kingdom riven by conflict may sound familiar, but the competent leaders will make a refreshing change of pace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PLFC2PB/
  • Options
    F1: something to keep an eye on:
    https://twitter.com/GrandPrixDiary/status/1105132152159637504

I'd be tempted to look at Verstappen's odds if it's very wet.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,831
    Charles said:

Was listening to a short history of Ireland at the weekend to undrerstand why my grandmother left in 1930 or so. The reason was a WTO style plan by Ireland after independence. This devastated the economy and led to a massive brain drain. In the 1980s Ireland became one of the most open markets in the world and is now richer per head than the UK.

Then that was a poor history you listened to

Burning the houses of the people with the capital in the 20s didn’t encourage long term investment
    I think the Irish economy did okay in the 1920's. But, when he came to power, De Valera thought it a good idea to adopt autarky.

That turned out as well as you might expect.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Was listening to a short history of Ireland at the weekend to undrerstand why my grandmother left in 1930 or so. The reason was a WTO style plan by Ireland after independence. This devastated the economy and led to a massive brain drain. In the 1980s Ireland became one of the most open markets in the world and is now richer per head than the UK.

Burning the houses of the people with the capital in the 20s didn’t encourage long term investment
    Surely not still bearing a grudge, Charles ?
    Very recent history in Charlie Towers; six or seven centuries should soothe it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Isn't Ireland still in hock to the UK for in effect becoming a large financial conglomerate with a country attached to it? I wonder where the 'history of Ireland' programme was aired - BBC, Sky or Channel 4?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

All you lads now bewailing the fact that the result you wanted from a referendum for which you wished is being enacted by a party & pm for which you voted, do any of you feel complicit in the 'Mega clusterfuck of historic proportions'?

Those of us who voted Leave to get rid of a Tory Prime Minister will be doubly delighted if it turns out to be a BOGOF offer.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

How soon until TIG becomes a party?

Maybe some issues with the word independent in their party name?
    I don't think the ERG have formally claimed the word "Gits". It is more of a general attribution.
    I confess I had a sad epiphany about Jacob Rees Mogg the other day. He’s always come across, to me, as smart, articulate, and cleverly self deprecating, and oddly good at handling TV etc, despite his absurd and half-contrived persona. For me, as a reluctant Brexiteer, it was faintly reassuring to know that he was on my side.

But a couple of days ago I saw an interview (from early 2016 I think) when he was discussing Brexit and he said “The Lords have just released a fascinating analysis, which shows that Article 50 is cleverly designed to reduce economic shocks to both parties, when a nation secedes from the EU”.

You what? Cleverly designed to reduce economic shocks??!! The whole POINT of Article 50 is to make it has hard and painful as possible to quit the EU, so as to deter any such thing happening. Its British author, the vile and treacherous Lord Kerr, happily admits this. And that’s how it has worked out

So how come I, a drunken thriller writer, knew this, and Jacob RM didn’t? I was cognisant of the dangers of A50 from the inception of Lisbon, and certainly hyper aware of it by early 2016. Yet Jacob RM was blissfully UNAWARE?

Either he was lying then, or he was a fool then - and therefore is a fool now...

And either way, you were fooled by him.

Indeed. Tho I wasn’t fooled by the europhiles who tried to sell me Lisbon as a “tidying up exercise”.

How I despise them. From Blair to Brown to Clegg to Cameron. A whole generation of traitors.
    What about Maggie Thatcher?

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1098179419657654272
    Thatcher who said No, No, No, to further integration? Thatcher of the Bruges speech? The same Thatcher who would have baulked at Maastricht and positively handbagged the mere idea of Lisbon?

Yes, I agree. Thatcher knew that the Single Market was good, and it is good, and I wish we weren’t leaving. She also knew that ancient nation states will only take so much forced and undemocratic integration before there is a terrible backlash. She would never have allowed this fuck up on her watch.
  • Options
    Paul Mason making his pitch for the mens club at labour?

https://twitter.com/MrSteerpike/status/1105132290408153088
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Neither did chasing out the Protestants post-Independence (and I say that as someone from an Irish Catholic background).
    Coming from a Irish Unionist family we were first burnt out of our houses and then chased from the country. And now they are asking us to come back 😂
  • Options

All you lads now bewailing the fact that the result you wanted from a referendum for which you wished is being enacted by a party & pm for which you voted, do any of you feel complicit in the 'Mega clusterfuck of historic proportions'?

You do realise that a Yes victory would have resulted in exactly the same chaos for Scotland, only a hundred times worse? Because: you would have been ejected from the EU at once, and also ejected from the UK, AND your fiscal position would have meant immediate slump, probably a Depression. You didn’t even have a credible position on what currency you would use.

If Brexit has taught us anything, it is that breaking up political unions is painful, protracted and extremely expensive. And the EU has only been around 50 years, the UK has been around 300 years. For Scotland, it would have been ruinous.

ScotNats dancing reels over the complexities of Brexit are the most egregious hypocrites and imbeciles. As your rightful king (see prior thread) I order you to stop or I shall confiscate your remaining neeps. And tatties.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Mr. T, a real king would know it's the turnip that's most prized.

Edited extra bit: ahem. Just realised what 'neeps' are :blush:

As you were :p
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Surely not still bearing a grudge, Charles ?
    I would have quite liked growing up here :smiley:

https://www.ballynahinch-castle.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIweqombv64AIVTLftCh0jqAR8EAAYAyAAEgJiQ_D_BwE
  • Options
    What on earth is the point of that meeting anyway
  • Options

So a sovereign parliament can hold the executive to account.
  • Options

Perhaps, but what care I, as a direct descendant of Malcolm II, King of Scotland, alias The DESTROYER

I confess I am finding my newly discovered lineage unexpectedly agreeable. It is irritating people who need to be irritated (e.g. my sister’s slightly wanky Scot Nat in laws, who are failing to disguise their chagrin). I also have a few friends who will, in their cups, say “oh but my family came over with the Conqueror” etc etc

I have now given them the obvious reply.

Ah, the pleasures of snobbery. I may have to excise Charles from my address book, as an arriviste.
  • Options
    Mr. T, ahem, 'neeps' are turnips.

One learns something new every day.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Perhaps, but what care I, as a direct descendant of Malcolm II, King of Scotland, alias The DESTROYER

I confess I am finding my newly discovered lineage unexpectedly agreeable. It is irritating people who need to be irritated (e.g. my sister’s slightly wanky Scot Nat in laws, who are failing to disguise their chagrin). I also have a few friends who will, in their cups, say “oh but my family came over with the Conqueror” etc etc

Ah, the pleasures of snobbery. I may have to excise Charles from my address book, as an arriviste.
    You can cut me out on the grounds that we're in trade, dahling.

• Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

As an artiste, I had already considered this. Now I fear it is inevitable. If you come over for Christmas, you can have your eggnog in the hallway with my Thai cleaner, Nok.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Quite.
    Barclay is entirely unpalatable, grilled or otherwise.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

No idea. Entirely unreasonable to expect the Brexit Secretary to know what was going on.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    SeanT said:

Can't you find a less obscure mini-tyrant to claim descent from?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Cyclefree said:

I have thought for a long time now that May has gone about this in the worst possible way, having originally hoped that she might have been boringly competent - if not inspirational. She has been spectacularly incompetent - and I now loathe her with a passion. I was prepared to give Brexit a chance - but the way it has been handled has changed my mind. And I am not, as anyone who has read my posts or headers will have worked out, the EU's greatest fan, by a very long way.

I do not see why the merits or otherwise of Brexit should be judged by the failings of our spectacularly incompetant self serving two faced appeaser of a Remainer PM.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

As an artiste, I had already considered this. Now I fear it is inevitable. If you come over for Christmas, you can have your eggnog in the hallway with my Thai cleaner, Nok.
    Well I'm flattered you'd even invite me over :blush:

A humble shopkeeper.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

You do realise that a Yes victory would have resulted in exactly the same chaos for Scotland, only a hundred times worse? Because: you would have been ejected from the EU at once, and also ejected from the UK, AND your fiscal position would have meant immediate slump, probably a Depression. You didn’t even have a credible position on what currency you would use.

If Brexit has taught us anything, it is that breaking up political unions is painful, protracted and extremely expensive. And the EU has only been around 50 years, the UK has been around 300 years. For Scotland, it would have been ruinous.

ScotNats dancing reels over the complexities of Brexit are the most egregious hypocrites and imbeciles. As your rightful king (see prior thread) I order you to stop or I shall confiscate your remaining neeps. And tatties.

Given your predictive record over Brexit (even with your standard several outcomes for every circumstance m.o.), forgive me if I take a rain check on giving a feck about your post hoc indy maunderings.

Ye'll need to fight an 8 year guerilla campaign, slaughter several of your rivals and take down a fully armoured knight aided only by a pony and an axe before ye can even be considered as our rightful king.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

Hang on - the EU suggested a NI only backstop. The UK said no. We're one country; we can't have NI treated differently. So we got a UK-wide backstop to deal with the precious union with NI, at our request.

Then the UK says no - we don't like what we asked for and go. Can you change it please.

How do you negotiate with a country that behaves like that? The EU has very many faults. But Britain voted to leave. It was not - is not - unreasonable to expect the country deciding to leave to have some realistic idea of how to do it, taking into account the realities.

Barnier has done exactly what his principals have asked him to do. Obtain a WA which meets the EU's and Britain's red lines. Only Britain's red lines seem to change depending on who has shouted at May last. And MPs are unwilling to do what they are paid to do - because they don't want to be blamed for not obeying the People's Will and also don't want to be blamed for doing something they don't think is a good idea.

So over the waterfall we go.

The backstop doesn't respect our red lines. Both an NI backstop and a UK backstop are disrespectful and unprecedented and unacceptable. The fact the EU have insisted there must be one, the fact some in the UK are prepared to fold on this doesn't change that fact.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Yes. Odin.

Via my direct descent from Maud Ingelric I am probably directly descended from Alfred the Great, who was descended from Cynewulf of Wessex, who was descended from Odin the God of Death, Frenzy, Poetry, Madness, Sorcery and the Runic Alphabet, which deffo describes my family.

Odin even looks like me, after a few vodkatinis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin

As a direct descendant of Odin, alias Woden, I also own Wednesdays, so I am afraid I will have to charge everyone 10p to exist the day after tomorrow. Hope that’s OK.

• Options
    Curious snippet in Guardian Live blog. PM was ready to agree a tweaked deal on Saturday, but was "over ruled by London."
    Who the heck can overrule the PM?
  • Options
    Mr. Dean, speculation earlier was that it was Cox.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Cyclefree said:

Hang on - the EU suggested a NI only backstop. The UK said no. We're one country; we can't have NI treated differently. So we got a UK-wide backstop to deal with the precious union with NI, at our request.

Then the UK says no - we don't like what we asked for and go. Can you change it please.

How do you negotiate with a country that behaves like that? The EU has very many faults. But Britain voted to leave. It was not - is not - unreasonable to expect the country deciding to leave to have some realistic idea of how to do it, taking into account the realities.

Barnier has done exactly what his principals have asked him to do. Obtain a WA which meets the EU's and Britain's red lines. Only Britain's red lines seem to change depending on who has shouted at May last. And MPs are unwilling to do what they are paid to do - because they don't want to be blamed for not obeying the People's Will and also don't want to be blamed for doing something they don't think is a good idea.

So over the waterfall we go.

The backstop doesn't respect our red lines. Both an NI backstop and a UK backstop are disrespectful and unprecedented and unacceptable. The fact the EU have insisted there must be one, the fact some in the UK are prepared to fold on this doesn't change that fact.
    I know it's Blair, but the first part of this video is a good explanation of how the UK's conflicting demands led to this dilemma.

https://twitter.com/InstituteGC/status/1104037505865826305
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Cyclefree said:

I have thought for a long time now that May has gone about this in the worst possible way, having originally hoped that she might have been boringly competent - if not inspirational. She has been spectacularly incompetent - and I now loathe her with a passion. I was prepared to give Brexit a chance - but the way it has been handled has changed my mind. And I am not, as anyone who has read my posts or headers will have worked out, the EU's greatest fan, by a very long way.

I do not see why the merits or otherwise of Brexit should be judged by the failings of our spectacularly incompetant self serving two faced appeaser of a Remainer PM.
    Can we at least agree that, Remainer or Leaver, we all disclaim May?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    That should have been the PMs attitude to the EU for the last 4 months. That the backstop was impossible and if the EU continues to insist upon it then it is choosing No Deal.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

Except they are not are they. My wife is a Scot and I could never understand the desire to eat turnips (neeps). Swede however - lovely! Then only to find out that Scots call Swedes turnips and all is made clear. After 25 years of marriage however I still haven't found out what Scots call a turnip.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Curious snippet in Guardian Live blog. PM was ready to agree a tweaked deal on Saturday, but was "over ruled by London."

Activate Her Majesty
  • Options
    Mr. kjh, clearly, a thread on Scottish turnips is required to resolve this matter.
  • Options

Mr. Dean, speculation earlier was that it was Cox.

Which raises the obvious question. Who is running the show? Not May obviously. Not the Brexit Secretary, who is out of the loop and can't face a Committee.
    I can't believe it's Not Brian Blessed is steering.
    If Johnny Foreigner doesn't understand, speak louder.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Given your predictive record over Brexit (even with your standard several outcomes for every circumstance m.o.), forgive me if I take a rain check on giving a feck about your post hoc indy maunderings.

Ye'll need to fight an 8 year guerilla campaign, slaughter several of your rivals and take down a fully armoured knight aided only by a pony and an axe before ye can even be considered as our rightful king.
    Slightly off topic but are you watching Outlander?

It’s the most utter piffle. A time travelling Englishwoman married to a sexy ginger Highlander who ends up in Paris, Culloden, South Carolina..

Yet somehow - great scripting, good acting, fine actors, serious production values - they make this absurd bollox highly watchable, even moving. It is quite the achievement. Indeed I think I will watch an episode now. Ye dinnae ken, Sassenach!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

What on earth is the point of Stephen Barclay?
  • Options
    Mr. L, same as cladding on a building? It's there. But I don't know why.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:
    It looks like something which has been Photoshopped on to her picture, badly.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    DavidL said:

What on earth is the point of Stephen Barclay?
    Looks good in a suit ! Barring that just another hopeless Brexit Secretary out of his depth .
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    dixiedean said:

The cabinet.

Or, in effect, members of it with sufficient seniority that it amounts to the same thing.
  • Options
    I see that Mike has been having fun on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1105089755589550080
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Cyclefree said:
    My churchmanship might not be the same as Mrs May's, but wearing a hat in church - except at weddings - has always struck me as very bad form. Especially one like that. It says "look at me", which is hardly a very Protestant notion in a service context.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,968

I see that Mike has been having fun on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1105089755589550080

Given that there are 2 options that meet the criteria could we have the other option.

Especially as said option killed Boris's opportunity.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Surely betting against us leaving on 29th March is now free money?

I'm balls deep on us leaving at the end of the month.
    I just don't see how that is possible now. Even if by some miracle May's deal passed there is no way that the relevant legislation could be passed in time. A short delay to allow the government to reconstitute their homework from the family hound will be inevitable. As May's deal is not going to pass an extension with further confusion, economic damage and uncertainty seems certain, whether for Referendum II, an election or a change of PM or any combination thereof.
    Unless the EU refuse to extend...
    Then May goes and whoever replaces has to revoke. A no deal Brexit would have been quite manageable if we had been seriously preparing for it over the last 2 years. But we haven't even got into the starting gates. From here it would be genuinely disruptive.
    Insufficient preparations were made by government because No10 and No11 did not believe them necessary. The PM believed her advisors that a minimum impact pragmatic deal would be struck. The Brexiteers were given the FO (no EU involvement) and Brexit (Crayoning) department where they thought they were doing Important Things but were actually isolated from No 10. The PM and Hammond own this and in time they will bear the blame
    Except that as late as July 2017 Boris Johnson is quoted as saying: “There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Harris and Biden dead heat on 4.7
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Slightly off topic but are you watching Outlander?

It’s the most utter piffle. A time travelling Englishwoman married to a sexy ginger Highlander who ends up in Paris, Culloden, South Carolina..

Yet somehow - great scripting, good acting, fine actors, serious production values - they make this absurd bollox highly watchable, even moving. It is quite the achievement. Indeed I think I will watch an episode now. Ye dinnae ken, Sassenach!
    I've tried to persevere with it but it just doesn't do it for me, dunno why (It's not the absurd bollox factor as that's never stopped me before). It does seem to have a very strong following among both outlanders and Scots, though many seem to be women of a certain age.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. Odin.

Via my direct descent from Maud Ingelric I am probably directly descended from Alfred the Great, who was descended from Cynewulf of Wessex, who was descended from Odin the God of Death, Frenzy, Poetry, Madness, Sorcery and the Runic Alphabet, which deffo describes my family.

As a direct descendant of Odin, alias Woden, I also own Wednesdays, so I am afraid I will have to charge everyone 10p to exist the day after tomorrow. Hope that’s OK.

Well to be really classy you need the Quadruple Crown (Brian Boru, Llewellyn Iowerth, David II and Edward Longshanks - bonus points for Mark of Cornwall, although there is some doubt as to whether he actually existed) and the Three Saints (St. Louis of France, St. Edward the Confessor, and Mohammed).

Fallen gods don't score highly - pretty much anyone can get there if they try.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. Odin.

Virtually every white north European can probably claim the same, my distant deitically-descended cousin.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Can she pick up Sky Sports on that thing?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    That hat! Oh dear.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,937
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I just don't see how that is possible now. Even if by some miracle May's deal passed there is no way that the relevant legislation could be passed in time. A short delay to allow the government to reconstitute their homework from the family hound will be inevitable. As May's deal is not going to pass an extension with further confusion, economic damage and uncertainty seems certain, whether for Referendum II, an election or a change of PM or any combination thereof.
    Then May goes and whoever replaces has to revoke. A no deal Brexit would have been quite manageable if we had been seriously preparing for it over the last 2 years. But we haven't even got into the starting gates. From here it would be genuinely disruptive.
    No one in their right minds would take the job just to revoke. It is political suicide. Nor would they get elected by the Tory party to do so.

I don't know what is going to happen but I do know that is simply not realistic.
    While I agree that the Tory party is unlikely to elect someone to do this, there is one Tory politician who would do it and wouldn't care about it being political suicide. Ken Clarke.
    I am not sure that is true. Clarke has been consistent in supporting May and also in abiding by Parliamentary procedure - particularly giving Parliament the final say in everything. I am not sure he would revoke without Parliament agreeing to it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Except they are not are they. My wife is a Scot and I could never understand the desire to eat turnips (neeps). Swede however - lovely! Then only to find out that Scots call Swedes turnips and all is made clear. After 25 years of marriage however I still haven't found out what Scots call a turnip.
    They are all turnips. Swedes only appear in Nordic Noir.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Swedes are called Neeps and are yellow in colour and slightly sweet in taste. Turnips are white in colour and very tasteless unless they are pickled. Occasionally turnips are also called neeps but this is nonsense. Turnips are really a root crop for feeding animals. Some varieties can be used in soup.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

How soon until TIG becomes a party?

Maybe some issues with the word independent in their party name?
    I don't think the ERG have formally claimed the word "Gits". It is more of a general attribution.
    I confess I had a sad epiphany about Jacob Rees Mogg the other day. He’s always come across, to me, as smart, articulate, and cleverly self deprecating, and oddly good at handling TV etc, despite his absurd and half-contrived persona. For me, as a reluctant Brexiteer, it was faintly reassuring to know that he was on my side.

But a couple of days ago I saw an interview (from early 2016 I think) when he was discussing Brexit and he said “The Lords have just released a fascinating analysis, which shows that Article 50 is cleverly designed to reduce economic shocks to both parties, when a nation secedes from the EU”.

You what? Cleverly designed to reduce economic shocks??!! The whole POINT of Article 50 is to make it has hard and painful as possible to quit the EU, so as to deter any such thing happening. Its British author, the vile and treacherous Lord Kerr, happily admits this. And that’s how it has worked out

So how come I, a drunken thriller writer, knew this, and Jacob RM didn’t? I was cognisant of the dangers of A50 from the inception of Lisbon, and certainly hyper aware of it by early 2016. Yet Jacob RM was blissfully UNAWARE?

Either he was lying then, or he was a fool then - and therefore is a fool now...

And either way, you were fooled by him.

Indeed. Tho I wasn’t fooled by the europhiles who tried to sell me Lisbon as a “tidying up exercise”.

How I despise them. From Blair to Brown to Clegg to Cameron. A whole generation of traitors.
    What about Maggie Thatcher?

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1098179419657654272
    She saw the error of her ways and recanted her Europhile idiocy.
  • Options

kjh said:

They are all turnips. Swedes only appear in Nordic Noir.
    Yep that is the feedback I get from my wife and her family. Not at all confusing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No one in their right minds would take the job just to revoke. It is political suicide. Nor would they get elected by the Tory party to do so.

I don't know what is going to happen but I do know that is simply not realistic.
    The. Deal.
    I hope you are right but I lack the understanding of MP's minds to say that with the sort of certainty you are claiming.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Cox has been crystal clear that he will not change his legal advice unless there is a change of substance. Without his support May's prospects fall from close to zero to why bother?
    Presumably Cox doesn't want to be seen as the Lord Goldsmith of Brexit.
    Yes but it also gives him some credibility if he says that there has been a change. That might prove important. Unlikely but possible.
    Indeed, if at 1am tonight the EU gives some legally binding obligation to end the backstop after "x" and the attorney general accepts it I think the party (and maybe even the DUP) will fall in line.

It's a huge gamble, though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

Swedes are called Neeps and are yellow in colour and slightly sweet in taste. Turnips are white in colour and very tasteless unless they are pickled. Occasionally turnips are also called neeps but this is nonsense. Turnips are really a root crop for feeding animals. Some varieties can be used in soup.
    Turnips are only tasteless because they are picked too late, and then further wrecked in the cooking in Scotland (and indeed in England). Small, young turnips cooked properly are delicious, for example glazed or as used in the classic Canard aux navets.
  • Options
    The winner of the first X Factor tweets.

https://twitter.com/stevebrookstein/status/1103653524678864896
  • Options

Mr. L, same as cladding on a building? It's there. But I don't know why.

Cladding on a building provides insulation and, regrettably, occasionally combustible material. Barclay is more of a mystery.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

My wife (and her family) call Swedes turnips (as well as neeps).

I can't believe I'm having this discussion! I think Morris Dancer is right - we need a thread.
  • Options
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yes. Odin.

Well to be really classy you need the Quadruple Crown (Brian Boru, Llewellyn Iowerth, David II and Edward Longshanks - bonus points for Mark of Cornwall, although there is some doubt as to whether he actually existed) and the Three Saints (St. Louis of France, St. Edward the Confessor, and Mohammed).

As far as I can see (its early days for me as I always thought of my family as mere humble tinning folk) if you can get a direct descent from the Conqueror then you can pretty much claim a descent from everywhere, as these royal lines are the only provable lineages, but they are multiple and clearly interlinked

Anyway. Season 4 of Outlander, then maybe an episode of Vikings (also about my great grandfather Rollo and Ragnar) then sleep.

Kapkap from bangers.
  • Options

For some reason, I'm getting adverts for a Japanese homosexual love story "He's my Princess" when I log into this site.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sean_F said:

For some reason, I'm getting adverts for a Japanese homosexual love story "He's my Princess" when I log into this site.

Ruth roh, might want to check your internet history.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Does anyone sniff an eleventh hour triumph brewing?
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

I can't believe I'm having this discussion! I think Morris Dancer is right - we need a thread.
    I think that is right, if a little confusing. "Swede" is short for Swedish Turnip. It is technically rutabaga. The turnip is brassica rapa. They are related but not the same as the colour most obviously shows.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Does anyone sniff an eleventh hour triumph brewing?

If so the two sides are doing a jolly good joint act pretending it's all about to collapse.
  • Options
    And, then he proceeds to dig a deeper and deeper pit for himself as the thread progresses.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Cox has been crystal clear that he will not change his legal advice unless there is a change of substance. Without his support May's prospects fall from close to zero to why bother?
    Presumably Cox doesn't want to be seen as the Lord Goldsmith of Brexit.
    Yes but it also gives him some credibility if he says that there has been a change. That might prove important. Unlikely but possible.
    Indeed, if at 1am tonight the EU gives some legally binding obligation to end the backstop after "x" and the attorney general accepts it I think the party (and maybe even the DUP) will fall in line.

It's a huge gamble, though.
    When you got nothing,
    you've got nothing to lose.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Anime (and homosexual love stories) don't really feature in my internet history.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:
    My churchmanship might not be the same as Mrs May's, but wearing a hat in church - except at weddings - has always struck me as very bad form. Especially one like that. It says "look at me", which is hardly a very Protestant notion in a service context.
    It's probably because all the Royals are there.

Still, a bloody awful hat, though.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Do we reckon that the ERG are ready to accept they've pushed this as far as possible and will accept the latest fudge from Strasbourg? Massive pressure on the Tory Remainers if they do to do likewise.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

While I agree that the Tory party is unlikely to elect someone to do this, there is one Tory politician who would do it and wouldn't care about it being political suicide. Ken Clarke.
    I am not sure that is true. Clarke has been consistent in supporting May and also in abiding by Parliamentary procedure - particularly giving Parliament the final say in everything. I am not sure he would revoke without Parliament agreeing to it.
    Even if it were true - and I agree with you that it's very probably not - how does someone willing to revoke A50 become PM in the next fortnight?

It's not even clear that the PM has the legal power to issue a revocation notice. As the law stands, he or she would either be doing so on the basis of either the crown prerogative (which is iffy given that the notification was explicitly provided for by Act of Parliament), or an implied power in the Act that the power to notify naturally encompasses the power to revoke (even though the Act doesn't say so). Perhaps one or both of those legal foundations is/are strong enough but it's not a given.
  • Options

DavidL said:

kjh said:

Turnips are only tasteless because they are picked too late, and then further wrecked in the cooking in Scotland (and indeed in England). Small, young turnips cooked properly are delicious, for example glazed or as used in the classic Canard aux navets.
    So like babies then?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Well I am not clever enough to embedded the videos but Guido has a couple of official French Govt videos about the smart digital border they have implemented for 29th March. Electronic customs declarations, barcodes tied to number plates meaning no checks required and no delay at the border. As they say delay at the border means France is less attractive for businesses to use.

It also shows it working UK to France which is interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

I think that is right, if a little confusing. "Swede" is short for Swedish Turnip. It is technically rutabaga. The turnip is brassica rapa. They are related but not the same as the colour most obviously shows.
    I think we went through several years of me wondering why she claimed to like the horrid white things, until I cooked Swede and found out that was what she was referring to when she said Turnip. A bit like calling everyone Colin to avoid confusion.
  • Options
    I can see that I'm going to have to run remedial gastronomy classes for PBers.

Session 1: Delicious vegetables your mother never cooked properly (or at all): cabbage, broad beans, turnips, celeriac, parsnips.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

Anime (and homosexual love stories) don't really feature in my internet history.
    Anyone else living in your house or borrowing your wifi? I get ads for investment portfolio management which is sadly also inappropriate for me.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Well I am not clever enough to embedded the videos but Guido has a couple of official French Govt videos about the smart digital border they have implemented for 29th March. Electronic customs declarations, barcodes tied to number plates meaning no checks required and no delay at the border. As they say delay at the border means France is less attractive for businesses to use.

I was sent this earlier. The technology really doesn't sound that far fetched so I had no idea why certain wags denounced it as 'unicorns' and all that logic. It sounds entirely plausibly, though cost and rollout time would be an issue certainly.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

es from my address book, as an arriviste.

As far as I can see (its early days for me as I always thought of my family as mere humble tinning folk) if you can get a direct descent from the Conqueror then you can pretty much claim a descent from everywhere, as these royal lines are the only provable lineages, but they are multiple and clearly interlinked

Anyway. Season 4 of Outlander, then maybe an episode of Vikings (also about my great grandfather Rollo and Ragnar) then sleep.

Kapkap from bangers.
    My Dad traced our history back to some minor Welsh aristocrat, and hence (since these things are reasonably well-documented) to the Plantagenet kings. I was mildly excited by this, until some back of the envelope maths revealed that the chances of being of English heritage and NOT being descended from William the Conqueror - and indeed from every eleventh century Englishman with descendents - is infinitesimal I assume, on that basis, I have at least the Triple Crown - I certainly have English Scottish and Welsh descendants, to whom the same logic would apply. I don't know of any Irish ancestry but it would seem unlikely that there isn't any.
    But just as we are all descended from kings, we are all descended from far more peasants, vagabonds, ruffians and other ne'er-do-wells.
    Mores startlingly, though, we were able, via the same approach to trace our ancestry to the Dpanish artist Velasquez. But again, by the same logic, there will be millions in Britain for whom that is true.
  • Options

Do we reckon that the ERG are ready to accept they've pushed this as far as possible and will accept the latest fudge from Strasbourg? Massive pressure on the Tory Remainers if they do to do likewise.

Even if they are does that give May a majority or a rather more respectable defeat?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    DavidL said:

Even if they are does that give May a majority or a rather more respectable defeat?
    Depends how easilly the Labour MPs in Leave seats are bribed......
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:
    It's probably because all the Royals are there.

Still, a bloody awful hat, though.

It is traditional for ladies to wear a hat in church and frankly, having open season on her over a hat is utterly irrelevant when it comes to the crisis we are in.

Have a go at her on policy but why on earth bring it down to such utter irrelevance
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

And, then he proceeds to dig a deeper and deeper pit for himself as the thread progresses.
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1105103902121316352
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

How many ways can a lorry travel from France to the UK and vice versa compared to from Ireland to NI?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    BREAKING: May's motorcade leaves Westminster for trip to Strasbourg.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited March 2019
    Sky - TM just left to meet Juncker's in Strasbourg
  • Options

Sky - TM just left to meet Juncker's in Strasborg

Have enough of the ERG caved to make it worth the trip? Big question.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Depends how easilly the Labour MPs in Leave seats are bribed......
    Under other circumstances probably pretty easily but it is blindingly obvious that this Tory government is on the point of total collapse. A Labour MP who votes to prevent that is going to face a reckoning. They won't even have to be Jewish.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Kapkap from bangers.
    My Dad traced our history back to some minor Welsh aristocrat, and hence (since these things are reasonably well-documented) to the Plantagenet kings. I was mildly excited by this, until some back of the envelope maths revealed that the chances of being of English heritage and NOT being descended from William the Conqueror - and indeed from every eleventh century Englishman with descendents - is infinitesimal I assume, on that basis, I have at least the Triple Crown - I certainly have English Scottish and Welsh descendants, to whom the same logic would apply. I don't know of any Irish ancestry but it would seem unlikely that there isn't any.
    But just as we are all descended from kings, we are all descended from far more peasants, vagabonds, ruffians and other ne'er-do-wells.
    Mores startlingly, though, we were able, via the same approach to trace our ancestry to the Dpanish artist Velasquez. But again, by the same logic, there will be millions in Britain for whom that is true.
    We all have William the Conqueror in our ancestry, but more of our genes will come from Hogg the Dung Cleaner, Ilbert the Pig Gelder, and Maud the Harlot of Grope Cunt Street.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Kapkap from bangers.
    We all have William the Conqueror in our ancestry, but more of our genes will come from Hogg the Dung Cleaner, Ilbert the Pig Gelder, and Maud the Harlot of Grope Cunt Street.
    And those are just the ones you've been able to trace.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Sky - TM just left to meet Juncker's in Strasbourg

Can't she do a Skype meeting or something?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,978
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Kapkap from bangers.
    I'm sure SeanT knows the latter. ;)
This discussion has been closed.