Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we on the point of breakthrough?

Comments

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Read Edward Leigh on Hansard . The link is on Faisal Islam’s Twitter .

The AG will definitely change his legal advice if Leigh is correct on this unilateral declaration .

"A conditional interpretative declaration is a more forceful variant of this instrument of international diplomacy whereby the United Kingdom would assert that its ​consent to be bound by the withdrawal agreement is dependent upon the interpretation that the backstop has an end date."

If it's tantamount to putting an end-date in the WA, surely the EU would no more accept it than that?

Although I think the EU would countenance an end date after say, five or ten years (wherears the ERG want 10 months!).
    You don’t need to say the end date . It’s not necessary to lodge that , just that you have said there is one . I know it sounds strange but that’s what I took from it . The EU can protest politically but still ratify the deal .
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

nico67 said:

The AG will definitely change his legal advice if Leigh is correct on this unilateral declaration .

"A conditional interpretative declaration is a more forceful variant of this instrument of international diplomacy whereby the United Kingdom would assert that its ​consent to be bound by the withdrawal agreement is dependent upon the interpretation that the backstop has an end date."

If it's tantamount to putting an end-date in the WA, surely the EU would no more accept it than that?

Although I think the EU would countenance an end date after say, five or ten years (wherears the ERG want 10 months!).
    It does have an end date - the date when the future relationship comes into effect. I don't see how unilaterally asserting that it has an end date does anything to control when that date might be.
    Right, of course, I think we're talking about the "alternative backstop arrangements" (as a replacement to the protocol) rather than the WA end date?
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    It is virtually impossible to get to a decent level of proficiency in other languages without having done Latin, which teaches you the elements of linguistic structure. The best way of learning it is to use Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer, still in print 140 years after publication, and unsurpassed (and still available on Amazon). If you work your way through Kennedy you will be able to translate the rude poems on the final pages.
    I did Latin, French and German at school, and subsequently taught myself Spanish; for kids, Spanish is popular because it is pretty straightforward.
    Roumanian has a lot of Latin in it, and Russian a surprising amount of vocab borrowed from European languages.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    I liked the comment "ls that training in how to be anti-Semitic?"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Je m'apelle Donald Madame May est parlant Merde

Ah, non, non. Madame May dit des bêtises. Elle ne comprend rien; son Parlement est plein d'idiots. Il faut arriver a une conclusion ainsi que nous pouvons discuter autre sujet. N'importe quel sujet mais surtout pas Brexit.
    Er, d'accord?
    Surely you learnt French at school.......? It seems to be taught to practically every English school child and yet you can barely find any adult speaking it.
    [swaggering] Man, I've got GCSE A-grades in French AND German :)
    Well my youngest has those and in Spanish. Still seems incapable of saying a word in any language other than "What's for dinner?".
    Including English?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Cyclefree said:

At the risk of annoying @Big_G again, why does Mrs May wear a jacket with sleeves so much shorter than her arms?

(Still, at least the hat has gone.....).

You don't annoy me - I read your posts with great interest to be honest and have much admiration for your contributions
    That's very kind of you.

I am being a bit mischievous this evening. Sorry.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    edited March 2019
    Ca va les mecs?

Ce qui se passe a Strasbourg ce soir, c'est du theatre ou c'est de vrai?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    FF43 said:

This. This. This.

The whole thing is about convenient legal advice. The EU having unreasonably refused to change everything to help Mr Codpiece out of a legal hole of his own making, now stands by while he makes it up (unilaterally).

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1105193436318261250

Isn't that rather precipitous until he actually sees the advice? I mean, I can well believe it, but how can he know the changed situation leading to changed advice is not reasonable? Hazarding a guess as to the likelihood it is all just politics sure, but certainty?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

"Over the last few weeks, JLM has been contacted by hundreds of people asking us to run our antisemitism awareness training at CLPs, branches, Labour groups....

We have made this training available to the Labour Party NEC, NCC, and staff which has not been taken up...

We cannot accept the suggestion that the Party knows better than its Jewish affiliate, or the Jewish community what constitutes antisemitism. Particularly when in recent days press reports have demonstrated the Party has failed time and again to identify clear cases of antisemitism, with senior members of the Leader of the Opposition's Office directly intervening in disciplinary cases.

Whilst the Equalities and Human Rights Commission explore our referral of the Labour Party for institutional racism, we cannot in good faith continue to provide our training whilst the Party seek to undermine our role in this way..."
    What on earth is "antisemitism training"?

I take a very dim view of everyone involved.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Marco1 said:

If , (a big if) , there is serious progress tonight then the one thing I believe a lot of people will agree upon is the horrendous mess that our MPs, May, the EU and Government have made of the last two wasted Years of ridiculous diplomacy. It has clearly indicated that democracy only works if you are an Elite and have Elite views.

Your view is probably going to be more popular but I will completely disagree.

If (and it is a big if) there is serious progress tonight then belatedly MPs, May, the EU and the Government will have done their job. Its not pretty but it if there's progress and it is done then it is done at last.

Furthermore in December and January MPs had serious concerns over the backstop. If those have been addressed then that is serious progress.

It hasn't been pretty but in the words of Otto Von Bismarck “If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being made.”
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    franklyn said:

It is virtually impossible to get to a decent level of proficiency in other languages without having done Latin, which teaches you the elements of linguistic structure. The best way of learning it is to use Kennedy's Revised Latin Primer, still in print 140 years after publication, and unsurpassed (and still available on Amazon). If you work your way through Kennedy you will be able to translate the rude poems on the final pages.
    I did Latin, French and German at school, and subsequently taught myself Spanish; for kids, Spanish is popular because it is pretty straightforward.
    Roumanian has a lot of Latin in it, and Russian a surprising amount of vocab borrowed from European languages.

I’ve never seen myself as a person who can defeat the impossible but I’ve lived and worked in France and Germany despite dropping Latin (and Greek) at the first opportunity. What I’m suggesting, is nonsense.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Je m'apelle Donald Madame May est parlant Merde

Ah, non, non. Madame May dit des bêtises. Elle ne comprend rien; son Parlement est plein d'idiots. Il faut arriver a une conclusion ainsi que nous pouvons discuter autre sujet. N'importe quel sujet mais surtout pas Brexit.
    Er, d'accord?
    Surely you learnt French at school.......? It seems to be taught to practically every English school child and yet you can barely find any adult speaking it.
    [swaggering] Man, I've got GCSE A-grades in French AND German :)
    Well my youngest has those and in Spanish. Still seems incapable of saying a word in any language other than "What's for dinner?".
    Including English?
    Wait till yours is a teenager. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp4IDNpBnIg
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

So the ERG lawyers group look at the detail and say Nuts - and the DUP do likewise- then what?

Brexit delenda est.

PS - I know that's not the correct Latin but I can't be arsed.
    "It says 'Romans Go Home'

No It Doesn't"
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Ca va les mecs?

Ce qui se passe a Strasbourg ce soir, c'est du theatre ou c'est de vrai?

Both
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    franklyn said:

A good point.
    Didn't help much with my Chinese though.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    Omnium said:

"Over the last few weeks, JLM has been contacted by hundreds of people asking us to run our antisemitism awareness training at CLPs, branches, Labour groups....

We have made this training available to the Labour Party NEC, NCC, and staff which has not been taken up...

We cannot accept the suggestion that the Party knows better than its Jewish affiliate, or the Jewish community what constitutes antisemitism. Particularly when in recent days press reports have demonstrated the Party has failed time and again to identify clear cases of antisemitism, with senior members of the Leader of the Opposition's Office directly intervening in disciplinary cases.

Whilst the Equalities and Human Rights Commission explore our referral of the Labour Party for institutional racism, we cannot in good faith continue to provide our training whilst the Party seek to undermine our role in this way..."

PS I suppose I should add that I find it inconceivable that anyone would judge anyone else based on their race.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited March 2019
    franklyn said:

It is virtually impossible to get to a decent level of proficiency in other languages without having done Latin, which teaches you the elements of linguistic structure.

What you mean is that you need to learn grammar properly. Even learning English grammar will go a long way but there's no advantage to studying Latin grammar over, say, German or Russian.

Edit: And Russian is a European language!
  • Options
    That actually made me laugh. What would the Labour list be? (I started writing one but was worried that OGH might object if they were taken the wrong way)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

At the risk of annoying @Big_G again, why does Mrs May wear a jacket with sleeves so much shorter than her arms?

You don't annoy me - I read your posts with great interest to be honest and have much admiration for your contributions
    That's very kind of you.

Please do not apologize. We all need a bit of light relief
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Odds on Mark Francois denouncing tonight's agreement before midnight?

I'm sure he's roaring with anger already.
    I bet his first words as a baby were 'No Backstop!'
    Nah - that’s what he said when he had a full surround nappy filler

(Parents will know the horror to which I refer)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

This. This. This.

The whole thing is about convenient legal advice. The EU having unreasonably refused to change everything to help Mr Codpiece out of a legal hole of his own making, now stands by while he makes it up (unilaterally).

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1105193436318261250

Isn't that rather precipitous until he actually sees the advice? I mean, I can well believe it, but how can he know the changed situation leading to changed advice is not reasonable? Hazarding a guess as to the likelihood it is all just politics sure, but certainty?
    Mr Codpiece wanted the EU to give a cast iron legal commitment to make the backstop temporary, so it wouldn't be a backstop at all, just so he can deliver convenient legal advice that requires no difficult decisions to be made. The EU told him to piss off. Now it seems he will say not permanent after all, doesn't matter what EU says. No doubt he will have some passage from Henry V to trot out.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Devrions-nous avoir une règle que tous les messages devraient être en Français ce soir

Seulement ceux que vous ne voulez pas que quiconque lire
  • Options
    Omnium said:

It teaches you that the star of David on a crab on the face of the statue of liberty is an anti-semitic meme not out of place in 1930s' Germany, because apparently people need to know that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Odds on Mark Francois denouncing tonight's agreement before midnight?

I'm sure he's roaring with anger already.
    I bet his first words as a baby were 'No Backstop!'
    Nah - that’s what he said when he had a full surround nappy filler

(Parents will know the horror to which I refer)
    They seem to be coming out of his mouth now.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited March 2019
    I have to say, if the deal does pass somehow then watching the remainers spin it is going to be something to behold.

It's already started to some degree.
  • Options
    Talking of languages, Kevin Rudd speaks genuinely fluent Chinese. A rare skill amongst English speakers.
  • Options
    If this unilateral declaration lodged at the UN was a way round the backstop issue one wonders why all the people in the UK government didn’t think of it earlier .
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Devrions-nous avoir une règle que tous les messages devraient être en Français ce soir

Ou si vous voulez que la moitié d'entre eux soient mutilés en français via Google Translate, alors que les gens essaient de jouer
  • Options

Omnium said:

It teaches you that the star of David on a crab on the face of the statue of liberty is an anti-semitic meme not out of place in 1930s' Germany, because apparently people need to know that.
    Surely it teaches you that that is anti-Israel, not anti-Semitic.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Talking of languages, Kevin Rudd speaks genuinely fluent Chinese. A rare skill amongst English speakers.
    Although as PM his chief speciality seemed to be double Dutch, which is a very common accomplishment among politicians.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

franklyn said:

It is virtually impossible to get to a decent level of proficiency in other languages without having done Latin, which teaches you the elements of linguistic structure.

What you mean is that you need to learn grammar properly. Even learning English grammar will go a long way but there's not advantage to studying Latin grammar over, say, German or Russian.

True but one of the long term problems with teaching in the UK is that, by and large, they have stopped teaching anything other than the most superficial grammar in schools. And this is not recent either. Back in the 80s I had problems with learning French because I had not been taught the 'language of language' in English.
  • Options
    Hemingway on grammar.

"The major, who had been a great fencer, did not believe in bravery, and spent much time while we sat in the machines correcting my grammar. He had complimented me on how I spoke Italian, and we talked together very easily. One day I had said that Italian seemed such an easy language to me that I could not take a great interest in it; everything was so easy to say. "Ah, yes," the major said. "Why, then, do you not take up the use of grammar?" So we took up the use of grammar, and soon Italian was such a difficult language that I was afraid to talk to him until I had the grammar straight in my mind."
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Blushes and buffs nails. As indeed did Paddy Ashdown.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Wasn’t it a squid not a crab?
  • Options

franklyn said:

What you mean is that you need to learn grammar properly. Even learning English grammar will go a long way but there's not advantage to studying Latin grammar over, say, German or Russian.

True but one of the long term problems with teaching in the UK is that, by and large, they have stopped teaching anything other than the most superficial grammar in schools. And this is not recent either. Back in the 80s I had problems with learning French because I had not been taught the 'language of language' in English.
    Same here. I only learned that there was such a thing as English grammar when I began studying Latin.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

on second look I think it's the facehugger from Alien.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was a facehugger:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(creature_in_Alien_franchise)#Facehugger
  • Options

franklyn said:

My two certainly learned more formal grammar in First School than I ever learned in English at any time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I have to say, if the deal does pass somehow then watching the remainers spin it is going to be something to behold.

It's already started to some degree.

What’s to spin , we’re out of the EU and lose freedom of movement . The saving grace is the transition period and time to escape the right wing coup in the UK.
  • Options

nico67 said:

I’m genuinely fascinated and amused by the importance attested to legal opinions by non-lawyers. A legal opinion is best seen as a method of limiting liability for the provider. The dim, and there are plenty of them out there, see it as a quasi-insurance policy. They’re wrong.

Still, as with commercial practice, I guess it provides a fig leaf for a given choice of action, so long as one doesn’t consider the assumptions and qualifications in detail.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    Chris said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nico67 said:

If this unilateral declaration lodged at the UN was a way round the backstop issue one wonders why all the people in the UK government didn’t think of it earlier .

If the EU are prepared to ratify the deal even with this unilateral declaration and not object to it then that is remarkable progress. Had this been done in January the EU would have objected to it. These fudges only ever happen at the last minute.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Fenster said:

When Brexit finally goes through witnessing the meltdown of these smarmy sneering wankers on Twitter will be worth the wait. You can smell how much some of them hate Britain and all it stands for.

That is The best thing about the deal passing tomorrow, the end of Boris career. The End of Dominic Rabb political career. The utter humiliation and ruin of David Davis. The cutting off of Mogg’s political testicles.

What they have said about Chequers, what they said when May first put forward this deal, to vote for it or go awol in tomorrow’s deal pass after all pain caused by their lack of support for it stretching way back into last year, will, without doubt, 100% shred their political credibility for ever.

Think of Wilson “Crisis, what crisis” or Brown “there was never any plans for a snap election” or May “we never had plans for a dementia tax”, every single MP who ranted against this deal they now support shreds their credibility this week now and for ever. They can point to things have changed, the situation is now different, the options now different, the deals now different. Ha NO! {insert laughter into their faces} the only thing that’s changed is you have been played, you have been beaten, your credibility destroyed
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was.
    Whatever the specifics the imagery was more parasitic than a crab
  • Options
    Sweeney74Sweeney74 Posts: 46
    I agree with this.
    If enough progress has been made tonight (a massive if), then perhaps we can finally draw a line under the whole sorry saga.

Marco1 said:

If , (a big if) , there is serious progress tonight then the one thing I believe a lot of people will agree upon is the horrendous mess that our MPs, May, the EU and Government have made of the last two wasted Years of ridiculous diplomacy. It has clearly indicated that democracy only works if you are an Elite and have Elite views.

If (and it is a big if) there is serious progress tonight then belatedly MPs, May, the EU and the Government will have done their job. Its not pretty but it if there's progress and it is done then it is done at last.

Furthermore in December and January MPs had serious concerns over the backstop. If those have been addressed then that is serious progress.

It hasn't been pretty but in the words of Otto Von Bismarck “If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being made.”
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Drutt said:

Ou si vous voulez que la moitié d'entre eux soient mutilés en français via Google Translate, alors que les gens essaient de jouer
    Je peux les mutiler parfaitement bien sans GT, merci.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited March 2019
    Le Munich May accord, c'est sur quel canal ?? :D
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Here he is being interviewed talking about Xi Jinping's politics

https://youtu.be/fjOgglWfJhs
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Le Munich May accord, c'est sur quel canal ?? :D

More like is her Suez Canal.
  • Options
    It was clearly a facehugger alien implanting its xenomorph embryo into the chest cavity of Liberty.
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That's very kind of you.

Please do not apologize. We all need a bit of light relief

And I like pretty picture of the roses. 🙃
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    It seems that the government will essentially say it would be legal for the UK to withdraw from the backstop unilaterally. In practice that does not seem to change very much, but presumably it has been agreed with the DUP and ERG that it’s enough.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Here he is being interviewed

He sounds very good, I couldn't get past calling someone's mother a horse.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was.
    Quick question: have you ever seen a film in the "Alien" franchise? We're assuming you know what a facehugger is but that might not be the case.
  • Options
    TM deal to be followed with the release of 20 billion into the NHS, police and education on agreement

That would put the cat among the pigeons
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Sterling just rapidly hopped up a third of a cent. ERG reaction?

I wonder if the DUP can be persuaded to abstain. Chuck em some more cash as a sweetener.
  • Options

TM deal to be followed with the release of 20 billion into the NHS, police and education on agreement

That would put the cat among the pigeons

The Magic Mummy Tree.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    What does Rees Mogg say? He is surely the bellwether.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Sean_F said:

Omnium said:

Surely it teaches you that that is anti-Israel, not anti-Semitic.
    If you take the JVL course I'm sure it teaches you that about almost any antisemitic poison. Fortunately JLM are a credible organisation - which is why the Corbynites have wanted them out of Labour for a generation.
  • Options
    Well, duh, of course the government is trying to bounce the ERG and DUP into a deal. What planet have they been living on for the last 6 months?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    matt said:

franklyn said:

I’ve never seen myself as a person who can defeat the impossible but I’ve lived and worked in France and Germany despite dropping Latin (and Greek) at the first opportunity. What I’m suggesting, is nonsense.
    Quite so. Nothing wrong with Latin as one way of learning language structure, but learning a language directly is fine too. I'm more or less trilingual but I never had more than a smattering of Latin.
  • Options
    Sweeney74 said:

I agree with this.
    If enough progress has been made tonight (a massive if), then perhaps we can finally draw a line under the whole sorry saga.

Marco1 said:

Oh how I wish it were so

matt said:

franklyn said:

Quite so. Nothing wrong with Latin as one way of learning language structure, but learning a language directly is fine too. I'm more or less trilingual but I never had more than a smattering of Latin.
    English, Danish and ???
  • Options

It's spelt "bellend"
  • Options
    Commons is PACKED. Lidington reporting TM will say more later but have secured legally binding changes. Joint interpretative doc and joint statement.
  • Options

As SeanT pointed out, Rees Mogg is more of a bell end than a bellwether.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    kle4 said:

Well, duh, of course the government is trying to bounce the ERG and DUP into a deal. What planet have they been living on for the last 6 months?
    How long before we get a DUP statement saying it's completely unacceptable?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    oh dear for May....it all looks very dire...
  • Options
    Sweeney74 said:

I agree with this.

Marco1 said:

Just noticed your avatar. I used to work in one in the sixties when I was in Edinburgh City Police
  • Options
    Sweeney74 said:

It was clearly a facehugger alien implanting its xenomorph embryo into the chest cavity of Liberty.

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Charles said:

Omnium said:

I believe it was.
    It was a copy of Alien. It’s not challenging to see what the imagery is driving at. Although I’ve no doubt that Jeremy Corbyn and his little helpers would claim that it wasn’t at all obvious.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2019
    viewcode said:
    On the other hand, some of his arguments for Britain to stay in Europe - that the European project is faltering and that shades of nationalism are rising throughout the continent that look very nasty indeed - could just as well be pitched as arguments to get out.

In fact those are his main political arguments for staying in, though it isn't clear to me whether he thinks that Britain remaining in the EU will somehow make Hungarian or Finnish or Italian nationalism less vicious, or just fingers-crossed that it might just keep the tide outvoted in Brussels for a little bit longer if things get really hairy.

His main economic argument, that there are 400+ million relatively wealthy people living next-door so you ought to be doing a lot of your trade with them, is pretty reasonable, though rather skirts over the fact that in globally proportionate terms they are a market of diminishing significance, but it isn't clear to me why that should involve subsuming one's country into political union with them. After all, there are 1300 million increasingly wealthy people living in a country in Oz's neck of the woods, in a market that really has been racing up the economic rankings and which is now responsible for a lot of their trade, but surely even Mr Rudd would find it premature if Australia gave up on governing itself and settled for sending a few delegates to the National People's Congress instead.
  • Options
    "The UK can unilaterally interpret the backstop as temporary indefinitely until the backstop ends."
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    it's curtains for May.....

Liddington is flummoxing in the HoC...like a cow stuck in flummox
  • Options
    houndtang said:

kle4 said:

I'm amazed we've not had one already. But give it til morning, they don't want to appear totally unreasonable.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    He's saying a lot of words.
  • Options

viewcode said:
    On the other hand, some of his arguments for Britain to stay in Europe - that the European project is faltering and that shades of nationalism are rising throughout the continent that look very nasty indeed - could just as well be pitched as arguments to get out.

In fact those are his main political arguments for staying in, though it isn't clear to me whether he thinks that Britain remaining in the EU will somehow make Hungarian or Finnish or Italian nationalism less vicious, or just fingers-crossed that it might just keep the tide outvoted in Brussels for a little bit longer if things get really hairy.

His main economic argument, that there are 400+ million relatively wealthy people living next-door so you ought to be doing a lot of your trade with them, is pretty reasonable, though rather skirts over the fact that in globally proportionate terms they are a market of diminishing significance, but it isn't clear to me why that should involve subsuming one's country into political union with them. After all, there are 1300 million increasingly wealthy people living in a country in Oz's neck of the wood, in a market that really has been racing up the economic rankings and which is now responsible for a lot of their trade, but surely even Mr Rudd would find it premature if Australia gave up on governing itself and settled for sending a few delegates to the National People's Congress instead.
    Fair points
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Drutt said:

Commons is PACKED. Lidington reporting TM will say more later but have secured legally binding changes. Joint interpretative doc and joint statement.

What was your username 30 minutes ago?
  • Options
    Is Lidington officially May's deputy, or just in practice?
  • Options

Sweeney74 said:

I agree with this.

Marco1 said:

Just noticed your avatar. I used to work in one in the sixties when I was in Edinburgh City Police
    A type 42 Tardis?!

I like the way several old police boxes in Edinburgh are now being used as pop up stalls and coffee shops
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Drutt said:

But not the unilateral statement? Isn't that the crucial part?
  • Options
    This bloke is the best informed Brexit commentator there is ...

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1105225621062541312?s=21
  • Options

He's saying a lot of words.

many of which are "legally" and "binding" for some (!) reason
  • Options
    kle4 said:

houndtang said:

kle4 said:

I'm amazed we've not had one already. But give it til morning, they don't want to appear totally unreasonable.
    Be fair, they can only type with two fingers. It takes a long while to write a statement.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

kle4 said:

It depends on Nigel Dodds and Jeffery Donaldson. They do the mental activity for the DUP in the Commons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Here he is being interviewed

He sounds very good, I couldn't get past calling someone's mother a horse.
    Funnily enough, that's the bit Rudd is not so good at. He speaks idiomatic Chinese with a large vocabulary but his tones are shot. He might well call someone's mother a horse (context is everything of course).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Primus inter pares.
  • Options
    I don't recognise the MP on Lidington's right
  • Options
    tyson said:

it's curtains for May.....

Liddington is flummoxing in the HoC...like a cow stuck in flummox

Patience is a virtue. Lets wait and see tonights announcements in Strasbourg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The

viewcode said:

His main economic argument, that there are 400+ million relatively wealthy people living next-door so you ought to be doing a lot of your trade with them, is pretty reasonable, though rather skirts over the fact that in globally proportionate terms they are a market of diminishing significance, but it isn't clear to me why that should involve subsuming one's country into political union with them. After all, there are 1300 million increasingly wealthy people living in a country in Oz's neck of the woods, in a market that really has been racing up the economic rankings and which is now responsible for a lot of their trade, but surely even Mr Rudd would find it premature if Australia gave up on governing itself and settled for sending a few delegates to the National People's Congress instead.
    Australian politicians would struggle with idea of President for Life (as opposed to Pm for the next 15 minutes). Although, FWIW, I think (mimicing Chinese friends) that the relevant lives, for Xi, will be Taiwanese, as one county, one system is becomes real to stave off domestic issues.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Primus inter pares.
    Isn't that meant to be May herself?!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Well done to the person who predicted they would reject it at 9:58pm, only 7 minutes out.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

houndtang said:

kle4 said:

Be fair, they can only type with two fingers. It takes a long while to write a statement.
    NOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

That can't take too long can it ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Not much of a rallying cry when a - we're already in one, and b - many want that crisis to get worse so that we no deal, or have no choice but to remain.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Primus inter pares.
    Isn't that meant to be May herself?!
    Ok, he's secundus inter pares.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Starmer nothing has changed
  • Options

... except Labour's position since last time this came to the Commons
  • Options

If Starmer is right - big if - May’s finished.

This discussion has been closed.