Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Are we on the point of breakthrough?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:
    I think there is a 50% chance.

All down to what DUP do.
    Indeed. Twas always thus.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

This is just a face-saving fudge. There was clearly always the possibility of abrogating on the basis of the other party not acting in good faith. Today's announcement and the unilateral declaration make it no easier to take that step, should the governement of the day ever feel the need to.

Still, I appreciate that quite a few Leaver opponents of the WA are desperately looking for a way to climbdown, and this, it appears, provides it.

That's not quite right I think. As I understand it, the EU has agreed to strengthen the language on 'good faith', which would make it easier to take the step of exiting the backstop if ever necessary.

Your substantial point is broadly right, though.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    This will test the DUP. Its legalesse is right in DUP wonkland and they are good at this kind of thing. It has some room for them to back it.

If they go for it they will bring their electorate with them ok but, and no matter what your polls suggest, for the DUP and vast majority of unionists, the blood is way thicker than water and that, always, is the underlying motivation.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited March 2019

Mortimer said:

Suspect DUP will vote for this. And perhaps 50 Labour abstentions, too.

Dream on.

Brexit is reality William. DUP and Mogg will join May in Lobby tomorrow, they want to avoid another ref, along with at least 30 Labour rebels who also want to avoid another ref. May wins tomorrow. People’s vote/remain is dead.

Goodnight. 🙃
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    Scott_P said:
    Not a lawyer, but once you get past the waffle, the UK can raise a dispute (part 6, title 3) . It isn't a unilateral exit. Question is whether enough MPs want to believe it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    dots said:

Mortimer said:

Dream on.

Brexit is reality William. DUP and Mogg will join May in Lobby tomorrow, they want to avoid another ref, along with at least 30 Labour rebels who also want to avoid another ref. May wins tomorrow. People’s vote/remain is dead.
    And if that’s the case, SeanT adds another grand to his largesse.
  • Options
    A unilateral declaration definitely trumps the legal treaty. I am sure that Codpiece Cox will change his mind...
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

If this is as serious as it seems then I will back the deal. An unending permanent backstop was my key objection, if this has been dealt with then job done. Time to ratify this deal and move on to the transition and negotiating our final trade deal.

The key will be Cox's advice and the DUP
    Indeed. If Cox and the DUP back it that is good enough for me.

The EU seemed genuinely taken aback after talking to Cox last week and now finally there's progress. Pisses me off that someone like Cox wasn't used sooner rather than Robbins etc
    This is just a face-saving fudge. There was clearly always the possibility of abrogating on the basis of the other party not acting in good faith. Today's announcement and the unilateral declaration make it no easier to take that step, should the government of the day ever feel the need to.

Still, I appreciate that quite a few Leaver opponents of the WA are desperately looking for a way to climbdown, and this, it appears, provides it.
    It is the equivalent of arranging food into a smiley face for a fussy younger eater, interesting to see how many actually objected to the food on the plate and can't be satisfied by the presentation.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Haven't seen anyone post this yet but apologies if I've missed it - Sporting Index have a market up on the number of "ayes" on MV2 tomorrow, although market is currently suspended.

I suspect it will be volatile, for a while, once it opens/resumes. The distribution of outcomes is non-trivial right now; I would suggest it is bi- and possibly multi-modal.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

A unilateral declaration definitely trumps the legal treaty. I am sure that Codpiece Cox will change his mind...

If the AG doesn't, then surely May resigns? She has just put in her final shift at the EU tables, there is no way she can survive her own AG saying it is a load of crap.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited March 2019
    So if the DUP can be brought on board, the equation becomes: Tory rebels must be max 6 more than Lab rebels. 21 vs 15 perhaps?
  • Options
    dots said:

Mortimer said:

Dream on.

Goodnight. 🙃
    Yes, well, that would be the sensible thing for ERG, if they want to avoid watching Alistair Campbell laughing at them daily on TV as the 2nd referendum gets under way.

But when did sense come into it?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

If this is as serious as it seems then I will back the deal. An unending permanent backstop was my key objection, if this has been dealt with then job done. Time to ratify this deal and move on to the transition and negotiating our final trade deal.

I imagine your view will be shared by MP's like Grant Shapps, Hugo Swire, Michael Fallon, Johnny Mercer, Sir Graham Brady, Stephen McParland, but I wonder will hold out to the bitter end.
    Indeed I expect so, I would always have preferred to associate myself with the likes of Mercer et al (I'll pass on Shapps) rather than Moggs and co

Last month all Leavers except Ann Marie Trevalyn backed the deal on proviso the backstop was dealt with. If the backstop has been dealt with they should honour their pledge.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Andrew said:

So if the DUP can be brought on board, the equation becomes: Tory rebels must be max 6 more than Lab rebels. 21 vs 15 perhaps?

Still seems like a stretch to get so few Tory rebels unfortunately.
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    I know there will be so much more aggravation to follow, years of it, but it is nice to think, for a moment, that whether one wants to remain or leave at least the question might be settled tomorrow. Thank you to the DUP for not killing it off right away, so I can take that thought with me as I go to rest.

Night all.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504

AndyJS said:

Labour mayor and former MP Tony Lloyd says on Newsnight the deal is a bad deal, despite being pro-EU in the referendum.

Of course it's a bad deal if you're pro-EU. It takes us out of the EU.
    Giving the game away that there's no intention to find a good deal to leave the EU as the referendum decided.
    No. A good deal for a remainer is single market and customs union. This still honours the referendum.
    SM and CU remains possible, there is nothing in the WA that stops it.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,697

Fourteen million? What happened to the other 3.4 million Leave voters?

If John Curtice is to be believed, they may well have passed.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Takeaway from tonight . A deal is closer and so is a second EU vote .

The optics of the EU making some concessions changes the blame narrative . If May had come back empty handed the press would have gone to town .

And if the ERG refuse to back this then other Tories will round on them and calls for a second vote to ratify the deal will grow .
This discussion has been closed.