Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now all eyes are on the DUP – if they’re happy then a deal mor

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

One thing I think we should bear in mind is that the vote today isn't taking place under an imminent threat of No Deal, because there's a strong expectation that a short extension will be approved by the EU.

But a short extension may be all there is, and the BBC yesterday was suggesting it would be only seven and a half weeks - until the Euro elections, not until the European parliament convenes. If the EU makes that clear, and if people believe it, then even if the New Deal fails relatively narrowly today, it may go through later when there's a more tangible threat of No Deal as the alternative. (I still don't believe revocation could happen without a second referendum.)

The EU could of course demand EUref2 Remain v Deal as the price of a lengthy extension, putting the threat of No Brexit at all too
    Only if they want to be sure of losing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Scott_P said:
    That sounds like if the AG gives us cover, we'll retreat.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Jonathan said:

It looks like they are lapping up the thin gruel like good little boys and girls, the deal will now pass and we will be in May’s limbo state and able to debate Brexit for years to come.

That's what Parliament should have been doing for the last nine months, the transition period doesn't matter all that much in the long term.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Cant say I'm confident. Too many erg likely to be bullish . But at least some option is closed off today.
  • Options
    On other news. Australia joins Singapore in banning all 737 - 8 flights into their airspace and more countries to follow. There are 400 in service but for Boeing 5,000 on order

Big problem for Boeing
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There is another factor for the DUP to consider here. Time and time again, polls have shown that, if push comes to shove, a majority of pro-Brexit voters would favour NI leaving the UK - which is the "cleanest" solution to the Backstop - than having to sign a deal they don't like. If the DUP vote for May's deal and there is the cry that Brexit has been betrayed, then the question of whether it is worthwhile having NI in the UK will be centre stage in politics.

So the DUP will be looking to see what the ERG and their ilk do (not the other way round). If the ERG accept the deal, then that gives cover to the DUP.

• Options
    Varadkar hopes and trusts the WDA will pass the HOC tonight
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    DavidL said:

Classic PB this morning. Those who want the deal to pass almost universally say that it is not going to. Those who want to remain almost universally think that May has done enough and it will pass. I want the deal to pass so, logically, I have my doubts.

From the distant perspective of sunny Bangkok I can say, without hesitation, that I don’t know whether I want the Deal to pass, and I also think it will fail, but it might pass later on, yet probably not, so who knows what will happen then, not me. I hope that clarifies things.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    DougSeal said:

What is this “legal world” and why am I not invited?
    I'll tell you if there's an 'all staff' email when I get to the office, but I bet there isn't.

By the way, if I told an journo that a lawyer had advised HMG explicitly one way, and was changing their mind under political pressure to 180 degrees the opposite, I'd want the shield of an email trail showing exactly that.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    I suspect the AG will fudge between his legal instincts and his political ones, and declare "no-ish but yes-ish".

Then MV either passing very narrowly this time, or rejected narrowly this time then passing narrowly next time.

And May lives to fight another day... just in time for years of negotiations on the future relationship which will, no doubt, come down to the wire in the last weeks two years hence.

Depressing as anything but what can you do.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

On other news. Australia joins Singapore in banning all 737 - 8 flights into their airspace and more countries to follow. There are 400 in service but for Boeing 5,000 on order

Big problem for Boeing

Getting concerned now. My wife and children are due to fly later this month (I cant go due to work obligations). I think it might be a 737 - 8 they're due to fly on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The remainers are all out in force while leavers arevmuch quieter

For the sake of the country I hope the deal gets through and I would also predict real anger in the populace if the deal is taken down especially as labour will be seen acting purely in their own interests
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
  • Options

Big problem for Boeing

Getting concerned now. My wife and children are due to fly later this month (I cant go due to work obligations). I think it might be a 737 - 8 they're due to fly on.
    They could be banned worldwide by then
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

HYUFD said:

For the sake of the country I hope the deal gets through and I would also predict real anger in the populace if the deal is taken down especially as labour will be seen acting purely in their own interests
    It’s all down to the ERG and the DUP, not Labour
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Wollaston, then Grieve.

Remainers: whinge early, whinge often.....
    They could be right, but it would be by accident since like their counterparts in the ERG nothing will divert them from their moral mission. Its pathetic that they try to claim objective analysis. God himself could tell them it was fine and theyd disagree.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    DougSeal said:

What is this “legal world” and why am I not invited?
    I was wondering the same. I remain fascinated by the idea that a legal opinion should be treated as akin to the sermon on the mount in its certainty and infallibility.
  • Options
    How would this news have gotten out? Professionally and politically Cox would look a fool if it is true.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    kle4 said:

How would this news have gotten out? Professionally and politically Cox would look a fool if it is true.
    Channel 4 remainers peddling fake news is the most likely scenario here.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Erm, wasn't it posted on this very pb a thread or two back?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Classic PB this morning. Those who want the deal to pass almost universally say that it is not going to. Those who want to remain almost universally think that May has done enough and it will pass. I want the deal to pass so, logically, I have my doubts.

I want events to damage the Tories to maximum effect. I'm not sure whether pass or fail will achieve this.
    It's a wash, but rest assured its large damage either way.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I am very torn now. I have wanted the deal to pass because I thought the alternative was no deal. Now, though, it’s clear the alternative is Remain or Norway plus. My guess, though, is that the ERG and DUP can see what I see and will vote for the Brexit they say they want.

It looks like they are lapping up the thin gruel like good little boys and girls, the deal will now pass and we will be in May’s limbo state and able to debate Brexit for years to come.
    Disagree, on both counts. First, I suspect the Deal will fall, albeit narrowly. Second, if it DOES pass, that’s it: we will stop talking about Brexit in this maniacal and obsessive way. Yes it will be a grumbling issue in the background, like a small duodenal ulcer, but it won’t be the possible brain cancer with vicious associated migraines that it is today.

Brexit will go from one massive first order issue to a series of smaller, boring, second and third order issues as we slowly thrash out the important but very tedious detail of our FTA: from fishing to banking to aviation to education blah blah; everyone will very happily yawn and switch over.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    What time are we expecting AG statement?
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441

AndyJS said:
    Radio 4 has been over this case for years. It's broken a fair few lives, and the problem wasn't the computer software: it was the way the PO bosses and courts believed the software was correct, and then (IMO) PO bosses then didn't seem to want to admit to problems - despite people having been jailed.

Yes, there were software bugs the real evil was the process that overlay it.

https://www.jfsa.org.uk/about-us.html

As a quick example, from a report: "Our current, evidence based opinion, is that Fujitsu / Post Office did have, and may still have, the ability to directly alter branch records without the knowledge of the relevant Subpostmaster" (the PO and Fujitsu deny this).

That alone should have been enough to drive a coach and horses through any court cases.
    The JSFA website is out of date. PO has finally been forced to admit that they did have the ability to alter branch records without the knowledge of the subposmaster despite repeated denials, including their then CEO, Paula Vennells, assuring MPs this was not possible. They have also been forced to disclose their Known Error Log listing tens of thousands of known errors, despite insisting that no such log existed. It also appears to be clear from evidence given in the first case that Post Office deliberately suppressed evidence in criminal prosecutions if it would harm their case, contrary to the law which requires them to disclose all such evidence to the defence.

There will be at least three, possible four trials. The decision in the first should be out at the end of this week or early next. If Post Office win, the judge will have accepted their argument that they do not have to act in good faith when dealing with subpostmasters, i.e they don't have to treat them with honesty and sincerity. If they succeed, who would want to be a subpostmaster?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think all comments today needs to look at the source and especially if they are a remainer and of course the broadcast media which is very remainer biased
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    If the ERG all support the deal, how sure are we that it will pass?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,232
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

From the distant perspective of sunny Bangkok I can say, without hesitation, that I don’t know whether I want the Deal to pass, and I also think it will fail, but it might pass later on, yet probably not, so who knows what will happen then, not me. I hope that clarifies things.
    LOL. Clear as day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I am very torn now. I have wanted the deal to pass because I thought the alternative was no deal. Now, though, it’s clear the alternative is Remain or Norway plus. My guess, though, is that the ERG and DUP can see what I see and will vote for the Brexit they say they want.

Disagree, on both counts. First, I suspect the Deal will fall, albeit narrowly. Second, if it DOES pass, that’s it: we will stop talking about Brexit in this maniacal and obsessive way. Yes it will be a grumbling issue in the background, like a small duodenal ulcer, but it won’t be the possible brain cancer with vicious associated migraines that it is today.

Brexit will go from one massive first order issue to a series of smaller, boring, second and third order issues as we slowly thrash out the important but very tedious detail of our FTA: from fishing to banking to aviation to education blah blah; everyone will very happily yawn and switch over.
    We can all switch over to watching Labour get pressed to death, as more and more cases of anti-semitism are loaded onto it moribund frame....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    tlg86 said:

If Tory Remainiacs, DUP and Tiggers vote against then even with Labour rebels I think it still fails.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,523

Scott_P said:
    There is another factor for the DUP to consider here. Time and time again, polls have shown that, if push comes to shove, a majority of pro-Brexit voters would favour NI leaving the UK - which is the "cleanest" solution to the Backstop - than having to sign a deal they don't like. If the DUP vote for May's deal and there is the cry that Brexit has been betrayed, then the question of whether it is worthwhile having NI in the UK will be centre stage in politics.

So the DUP will be looking to see what the ERG and their ilk do (not the other way round). If the ERG accept the deal, then that gives cover to the DUP.

The UK leaving the EU in any form whatever increases the chance of NI leaving the UK. The pressures pushing the whole island to be under the same system are bound to be intense, and the harder the Brexit the more that is true. An outcome with the UK remaining in the SM and CU will obviously minimise the pressures.

Much the same is true for Scotland.

We have many more years of this stuff, in many forms whatever the outcome.

• Options

kle4 said:

Erm, wasn't it posted on this very pb a thread or two back?
    Lawyers, including the AG, have opinions. Courts make decisions. In cases where the AG is party he sometimes wins and sometimes loses.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

If Tory Remainiacs, DUP and Tiggers vote against then even with Labour rebels I think it still fails.
    For those wanting chaos, I think this is the outcome that delivers it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

We can all switch over to watching Labour get pressed to death, as more and more cases of anti-semitism are loaded onto it moribund frame....
    If you want to see how low Labour have sunk, check the recent activity on this Corbynite Twitter account (she’s the prostitute that revealed the Osborne kink scandal)

@RealNatalieRowe

I won’t link to the actual tweet she wrote, about Peter Mandelson, as it is clearly libellous, but it is quite extraordinary in its hatred - you won’t have to look hard to find it. And all the comments beneath are just mind-boggling. I thought Labour had been taken over by cranks, but it’s worse than that: they’ve actually been taken over by vile, abusive, lunatic cranks.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I hope you’re right that Brexit will go away, but given how much is left up in the air I fear you are wrong.

Whatever the outcome today, for me it underlines why people’s view of politics is so bad. Presentation, spin and packaging are once again today taking precedent over understandable, meaningful things. It will hinge on a political forced legal opinion. We’ve been here before and have learned nothing from it.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

If the Deal fails again Remainers will really push extension and EUref2 hard
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    What time is the vote tonight?

I will miss it as I shall be enjoying the gentle swell of the English channel in a force 10 aboard Ventura. :disappointed:
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    edited March 2019
    Say 20 MPs had flipped position before last night. I don't see how she gets the other 95: the DUP carry 50 including themselves, prior flips having reduced the DUP influence, Labour a dozen or so, Cox will be disbelieved and only carry a few. I fear, at best, the government goes down by 50 tonight.

Given I was a Remain, result accepting supporter of May's deal, as something that respected the Leave vote and its reasons to an extent I didn't think possible (or strictly necessary tbh), I think I comply with DavidL's rule here. I gave up on May's deal passing a few weeks ago, and reached a second referendum position.

It's funny how much the Centrist opinion on here was pro-deal and in a way that hasn't been reflected in parliament - who knows what Mr Tyndall's unwhipped house would have done with a stronger Flintite faction? It's also funny that many of us have been only a little faster to come round to a second referendum as Corbyn has.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

tlg86 said:

10 DUP, 11 TIG, 9 Continuity Remain, 243 Lab, 11 Lib Dem, 35 SNP, 4 Plaid, 1 Green is 324 vs 304 Con, and four independents. With Labour rebels, it would be very tight.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    HYUFD said:
    Nick Boles sounding unhinged? Must think the deal is likely to pass...
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Is there anything more contemptible than an MP who wants the deal to pass, but won’t vote for it?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Why do people think DUP will vote against?
  • Options
    It seems untimely to mention it but a decent salesman could present being stuck in the backstop as Having Your Cake and Eating It. Which indeed it, to a certain extent would be. Mrs Thatcher would have found a way of celebrating it with a victory parade, her enemies being led triumphantly in chains before being eaten by lions.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Is there anything more contemptible than an MP who wants the deal to pass, but won’t vote for it?

An MP who doesn't want it to pass, but will vote for it?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    HYUFD said:
    Boles sets out why the deal will pass.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:
    So which safe Labour seat do you think Nick Boles will end up representing?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

If you want to see how low Labour have sunk, check the recent activity on this Corbynite Twitter account (she’s the prostitute that revealed the Osborne kink scandal)

@RealNatalieRowe

I won’t link to the actual tweet she wrote, about Peter Mandelson, as it is clearly libellous, but it is quite extraordinary in its hatred - you won’t have to look hard to find it. And all the comments beneath are just mind-boggling. I thought Labour had been taken over by cranks, but it’s worse than that: they’ve actually been taken over by vile, abusive, lunatic cranks.
    My favourite thing is that they seem to have taken ownership of that behaviour. Blocking people - good. Abusing people - good. Someone arguing with them - shows that that person has lost. Use of data? Cardinal sin.

Anyway, let them carry on, on twitter, on here, wherever. It's such a good look.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the Deal does not pass tonight it’s Norway+ or Remain. No Deal is no longer an option. That’s why the deal will pass. I also think SeanT is spot on about where Brexit goes from here. It will become a largely secondary issue, except for the 15% of Leavers and 25% of Remainers who will feel utterly bereft and betrayed. Their votes will decide the next election.

• Options
    Although a committed Remainer I was for May's deal back in December, as the 'best of a bad job'.

Since then it has looked increasingly possible that Brexit could be legitimately* reveresed through a 2nd referendum.

So now I am torn, but tbh I will be content if May's deal goes through: it would end the possibility of No Deal chaos, keep our relations with the EU reasonably sweet, avoid giving Farage and co a platform at the EU elections.

So I am trying to be sanguine and see either outcome as ok. Deal passes = soft Brexit; Deal fails = probability of a 2nd ref and Remain.

(* I know most Leavers would not see a 2nd referendum as legitimate but if the HoC passed the legislation for one, I can't see how it would not be legitimate.)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974

Why do people think DUP will vote against?

Because Nooo is the default option.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I largely agree on resonance, but a section of the Leave and Remain camps in the electorate will be bitterly disappointed. I suspect that means good news for Nigel Farage, UKIP, the Greens, the SNP and maybe even the LDs.

• Options

HYUFD said:

That post is just one of a thread and needs to be read fully... the first one in the thread is more constructive.

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1105387147446636545
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

It seems untimely to mention it but a decent salesman could present being stuck in the backstop as Having Your Cake and Eating It. Which indeed it, to a certain extent would be. Mrs Thatcher would have found a way of celebrating it with a victory parade, her enemies being led triumphantly in chains before being eaten by lions.

If Theresa May were phoning you up to tell you you'd won the Lottery jackpot she'd find a way to make you doubt it was a good thing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If the Deal does not pass tonight it’s Norway+ or Remain. No Deal is no longer an option. That’s why the deal will pass. I also think SeanT is spot on about where Brexit goes from here. It will become a largely secondary issue, except for the 15% of Leavers and 25% of Remainers who will feel utterly bereft and betrayed. Their votes will decide the next election.

It all depends on how many self - proclaimed Brexiters actually support Brexit.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

@RealNatalieRowe

My favourite thing is that they seem to have taken ownership of that behaviour. Blocking people - good. Abusing people - good. Someone arguing with them - shows that that person has lost. Use of data? Cardinal sin.

Anyway, let them carry on, on twitter, on here, wherever. It's such a good look.
    On the day that Tim Berners-Lee says Web is on a downward plunge.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

The UK leaving the EU in any form whatever increases the chance of NI leaving the UK. The pressures pushing the whole island to be under the same system are bound to be intense, and the harder the Brexit the more that is true. An outcome with the UK remaining in the SM and CU will obviously minimise the pressures.

Much the same is true for Scotland.

We have many more years of this stuff, in many forms whatever the outcome.

It may be wishful thinking, but I firmly disagree. Even as a (reluctant) Leaver, I have to confess that Brexit has been a carnival of shyte. I thought it would as bad as having a baby, in the end it’s as bad as having a baby in a rolling yacht in a North Sea hurricane with a hungry pair of wolverines at the other end of the boat.

No one will want to go through something like this for a long long time. There won’t be any referendums, on anything serious, for ages. We are all mentally scarred. The UK will hang together because the alternatives are just too monumentally painful.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I think the deal will pass, but not tonight - we are not quite at the 59th minute of the 11th hour.

Is the deal truly incompatible with Norway+? I'm not sure that we could not do a pivot or two on the PD.

I'm not sure what will decide the next election, though I think it's a banker that Labour cannot win it under extreme left leadership. What an election can't settle is the will of the nation when an important issue - in this case Brexit and all that - divides opinion into more than two serious options.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re optimistic I fear given that the WA doesn’t really settle anything.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

If Theresa May were phoning you up to tell you you'd won the Lottery jackpot she'd find a way to make you doubt it was a good thing.
    Her political skills are non-existent, but even Harold Wilson would struggle with this lot.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I am a staunch Remainer but I want the deal to pass, in the perhaps vain hope that we might at least get some business certainty and be able to get on with our lives, and stop talking about this divisive and toxic shambles. Some deal - any deal - is likely to give London a bit of a bounce, which is much needed. We will find a way around the daft free labour movement rules in time, perhaps with regional visas. London always finds a way.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'd be surprised if Geoffrey Cox didn't say something obliging for the Prime Minister (otherwise what would be the point?).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198

HYUFD said:
    So which safe Labour seat do you think Nick Boles will end up representing?
    Liverpool Wavertree?
  • Options

I'd be surprised if Geoffrey Cox didn't say something obliging for the Prime Minister (otherwise what would be the point?).

Here you go:

https://twitter.com/geoffrey_cox/status/1105393787243778053?s=21
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

@RealNatalieRowe

I have no idea who this woman is but I have just had a look at the thread. She is explicitly inviting a libel suit.
  • Options
    So PBers. If you were in the HoC tonight, would you vote for or against the deal?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Big problem for Boeing

That is what I'm getting concerned about. I think they're safe personally (though not an expert) and they're travelling on a first world airline but if its grounded then what happens to her flight? She is travelling to see her parents who live overseas and has been looking forward to this trip for months if not years.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That post is just one of a thread and needs to be read fully... the first one in the thread is more constructive.

I was referring to the thread. It sets out very clearly why any MP who genuinely wants to the Leave the EU has to back May’s deal. Any Tory MP not voting for it is not serious about leaving.

• Options

Political discourse in Britain has fallen a bit below the level of Periclean.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think that is the case. The big arguments about what Britain wants are still to come. Remember aftera nearly three years they will only have settled three issues that nominally the EU and UK both accept: on citizen rights, an open Irish border and severence payments.
  • Options

Of course he will.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Found in the replies to Nick Boles.
    Brextremists aren't just fond of the British Empire, they also think the Galactic empire were the good guys:

https://twitter.com/No_Deal_Now/status/1105392144502718464?s=19
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,449
    The fact the DUP have not instantly said no suggests that they may at least be minded to say yes - being awkward sods I do wonder if the delay is in them coming up with a price for their support, again.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jonathan said:

So PBers. If you were in the HoC tonight, would you vote for or against the deal?

I would have voted for it last time. The changes made overnight are essentially cosmetic, drawing out explicitly what was essentially implicit. So I would vote for it again this time.

If it were rejected tonight, I would be shoulder to shoulder with Nick Boles on the subject.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

"Come ahead, if you think you're hard enough..."
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

For. But then I would have done so on all the previous occasions as well.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

I largely agree on resonance, but a section of the Leave and Remain camps in the electorate will be bitterly disappointed. I suspect that means good news for Nigel Farage, UKIP, the Greens, the SNP and maybe even the LDs.

Agreed. I also expect the campaign to rejoin to start the day after we Brexit (if we Brexit). It will have a fair number of ardent supporters and quite a bit of impetus. This may dissipate over time, depending on how the UK economy fares. If we struggle, or if the UK looks like breaking up, they may get their 2nd referendum within 5-10 years. If not, it’ll be 30 years, or never.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Jonathan said:

For.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I was referring to the thread. It sets out very clearly why any MP who genuinely wants to the Leave the EU has to back May’s deal. Any Tory MP not voting for it is not serious about leaving.

I was referring to HYUFDs sole post... sorry if not clear.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

For.
    Ken Clarke will vote for it, hence I would to.
  • Options

Big problem for Boeing

That is what I'm getting concerned about. I think they're safe personally (though not an expert) and they're travelling on a first world airline but if its grounded then what happens to her flight? She is travelling to see her parents who live overseas and has been looking forward to this trip for months if not years.
    To be fair, I gather the professional reputation of Ethiopian Airlines is very good. Lion of Indonesia less so, of course.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599

Looks like we now know what is in his cod-piece!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

Agreed. I also expect the campaign to rejoin to start the day after we Brexit (if we Brexit). It will have a fair number of ardent supporters and quite a bit of impetus. This may dissipate over time, depending on how the UK economy fares. If we struggle, or if the UK looks like breaking up, they may get their 2nd referendum within 5-10 years. If not, it’ll be 30 years, or never.
    Anna Soubry is to address the LibDem Spring Conference, apparently.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,232
    For me tonight may turn on the credibility of Geoffrey Cox QC, the man the EU were describing as a buffoon as recently as yesterday. Labour have called upon him to make a statement, the DUP have said that they will listen to him carefully as has David Davis.

I enjoy watching a craftsman at work. By being difficult at every stage, including when May wanted to accept some waffle on Friday, Cox has built himself up credibility which will allow a range of people coming from different perspectives to accept his judgment. If he is clear and persuasive today it might just be enough. It might not of course but to get it this close when you started off losing by 230 votes is an impressive achievement.

Brian Blessed with a law degree? Yeah, right.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Tough one. Before yesterday it would have been For, for sure, because the alternative looked like No Deal. Now the alternative is Norway+ or Remain I’d be sorely tempted to vote against. However, Norway+ is still perfectly achievable after Brexit, so I guess I’d have to be a democrat - unless there was an amendment which would approve the deal subject to a referendum with Remain as the other option!

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Against, I simply couldn’t put my name to it.

In all probability it makes us worse off, reduces political independence compared to EU membership and has been forced upon us through the worst political tactics.

If she wants this, she can carry it in her name.
  • Options
    UKIP home keeps its customers/audience happy.... and wants a bit more can kicking...

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1105397678299643905
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541

Big problem for Boeing

Until Boeing implements the software upgrade they are working on, I would not fly on one.
    That probably won't be until next month at the earliest.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Observer, that may be the crux of the matter. Anything that satisfies hardline Leavers may put off Remainers, and vice versa.

I was tempted by the 3.25 on the 200-249 seat band (backing the deal) on Ladbrokes, but decided against it. Difficult to tell now.
  • Options
    Totally O/T but how in God name did this happen?

A Malaysia-bound plane had to turn back to Saudi Arabia after a passenger realised she had left her baby in the terminal.

From the Guardian.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

On balance, and just about: For. And I would have been Against previously.

My mind hasn’t been changed by TMay’s addition of lipstick, on the pig, but by Richard Nabavi explaining to me that the pig isn’t all that bad, and besides, pig is all we’re going to get, and if we don’t accept the pig, we might get nothing and the country would possibly descend into rapine and despair.

So I am modestly in favour. Though no thanks to TMay who couldn’t sell a Christmas amnesty to turkeys.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Against, I simply couldn’t put my name to it.

In all probability it makes us worse off, reduces political independence compared to EU membership and has been forced upon us through the worst political tactics.

If she wants this, she can carry it in her name.
    It certainly doesn't reduce political independence. That is such a wild claim I simply can't see how you get there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,043

Indeed, closer to perineum, literally.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    SeanT said:

Or we will look back on this time as just being the prologue.
    The WA doesn't actually deliver anything other than a holding period for us and the EU to get on with actually negotiating what life will be like afterwards. It's a "You're out, but things don't change (much) for two years"

I'd expect a rerun of 2017-now, with the initial period being quieter until the papers realise nothing's changed, and then the entire focus, a year down the line, being "We must avoid having to activate the backstop!"

Companies (especially multinationals) complaining about uncertainty, as they don't know what the status will be after 2020.

Lots of arguments, more uncertainty, any downturn or loss of investment being trumpeted as "because of Brexit" and "because of uncertainty," impassioned disagreements over whether it was or was not down to Brexit (when in the majority of the cases it would have been one factor amongst others, with the prominence of that individual factor being arguable), then "will we extend the WA?" coming up, followed by the inevitable extension of it, rumours that the EU would let us back in on exactly the same terms if we asked, rumours that they'd insist on asset stripping us and bending over to be reamed if we asked to be let in, confusion from most international partners, further internal ructions on both the Big Two...

But, of course, I could just be overly pessimistic, and things could happen to be far smoother.
This discussion has been closed.