Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile Johnson edges up further in the next CON leader bett

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Just when you thought it was a mismatch - up pops Cherry.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    It's always been about politics, rather than law.
    It's pretty simple. Cox the lawyer says "here's a risk" and Cox the client says "it's worth it".
    That's correct. No lawyer will ever say there's no risk, or that you are certain to win.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Lab to Green swing means only one thing: Jezza's lack of interest in Remaining is costing him.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

HYUFD said:

Not true the favourite never always gets it e.g. May and Howard both won as favourite. Plus Portillo and Heseltine were beaten by candidates to the right of them, Boris already is the candidate of the right and is also much more charismatic and polls better than Davis does

Was May favourite when Cameron announced his resignation? From memory Boris was and it was only after Gove stabbed Boris in the front that May became favourite.
    Well, by definition, the person who wins will have been favourite at some point.

But yes, I think Boris was favourite at the moment at which the vacancy became apparent. I don't know what the score was in 2003 but it wasn't obvious that there would be a coronation and there was certainly speculation that David Davis would be a strong contender.
    Indeed which is why any changes in who becomes favourite after the vacancy becomes apparent shouldn't count.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Observer,

"It’s stark for the ERG and DUP - humiliate themselves or lose Brexit. Are they patriots, or not?"

Lose Brexit means losing faith in our political democracy. It was always a fragile thing anyway, so … so be it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Ozzy seems to be suggesting that the Ultras have played a blinder and just need to hold their nerve for No Deal to be upon us. I think he's right.
    He might be, or as ever with Osborne, he might be conniving to his own ends. If I were a Remainer wanting the ERG to shoot themselves (and Brexit) in the foot, his editorial is exactly what I'd write.
    And, he may favour No Deal, because he thinks the worst is best.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    TGOHF said:

Cox says vote for the deal.

He couldn't say anything else from the dispatch box.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

HYUFD said:

Not true the favourite never always gets it e.g. May and Howard both won as favourite. Plus Portillo and Heseltine were beaten by candidates to the right of them, Boris already is the candidate of the right and is also much more charismatic and polls better than Davis does

Was May favourite when Cameron announced his resignation? From memory Boris was and it was only after Gove stabbed Boris in the front that May became favourite.
    Boris did not stand in the end, so yes May was favourite of the declared candidates.

In any case given if the Deal fails Brexit is likely to be cancelled or in such a BINO form as to be worthless given the numbers in the Commons the Tories will need Boris to lead them to contain the inevitable surge to the Farage Brexit Party and UKIP
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

ERG will split. Question is how many diehards?

Why? DUP are against, enough ERGers are against. This is dead. Why vote in favour.

Expect 400+ Nays again. There's more life in John Cleese's Norwegian Blue.
    Because a bad Brexit is better than no Brexit at all?
    No its not. No deal is better than a bad deal and no Brexit is better than a bad Brexit.

But its moot. The deal is dead. It won't win. Once its clear it won't win, why compromise on your principles and back a dead deal futilely given it won't win even if you do?
    Because a loss by 200 would bring down the government, whereas a loss by 60 would not?
    You mean like it brought down the government last time?
    I think you're misreading how febrile the situation is.
    I agree. It is possible - and I'm not necessarily predicting this as a scenario - that more Con MPs could jump ship to TIG if it looked like the ERG were trying to engineer a No Deal, and that they would prefer to ensure an A50 extension through whatever means necessary than be complicit in No Deal.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    It's pretty simple. Cox the lawyer says "here's a risk" and Cox the client says "it's worth it".
    Yep. That’s it in a nutshell.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

A wee distraction from the clusterfuck.

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1105442730203844613

Looks like Ross 'SNPgain' Thomson may not deserve his nickname. We'll just stick with 'touchy' then.

SNP set to lose Holyrood majority

https://twitter.com/WhatScotsThink/status/1105386458561564672?s=20
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris did not stand in the end, so yes May was favourite of the declared candidates.

In any case given if the Deal fails Brexit is likely to be cancelled or in such a BINO form as to be worthless given the numbers in the Commons the Tories will need Boris to lead them to contain the inevitable surge to the Farage Brexit Party and UKIP
    That's completely meaningless. So May was not favourite.

Of today's candidates who's going to stand? We don't know.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

Why? DUP are against, enough ERGers are against. This is dead. Why vote in favour.

No its not. No deal is better than a bad deal and no Brexit is better than a bad Brexit.

But its moot. The deal is dead. It won't win. Once its clear it won't win, why compromise on your principles and back a dead deal futilely given it won't win even if you do?
    Because a loss by 200 would bring down the government, whereas a loss by 60 would not?
    I agree. It is possible - and I'm not necessarily predicting this as a scenario - that more Con MPs could jump ship to TIG if it looked like the ERG were trying to engineer a No Deal, and that they would prefer to ensure an A50 extension through whatever means necessary than be complicit in No Deal.
    I think thats a certainity....
  • Options
    The deal comes down to trusting the EU. I trust them to look after themselves but no one else. So that's a 'no'.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

I thought HoC would be voting tomorrow on No Deal? And there was no way that vote would be lost i.e. No Deal off the table and extension.

Why do these Tories need to join TIG to do that?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    TGOHF said:

Just when you thought it was a mismatch - up pops Cherry.

Joanna was a good advocate and is a capable speaker. It’s good that Cox has to address the Anderson opinion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's completely meaningless. So May was not favourite.

Of today's candidates who's going to stand? We don't know.
    No it is not meaningless, May was favourite of the declared candidates. End of conversation.

If Brexit is cancelled, as is likely if the Deal is rejected, obviously the Tories have to.pick a hard Leaves like Boris or Raab or risk being eclipsed by the new Farage Party or UKIP
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,818
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. That’s it in a nutshell.
    So Cox has bottled it and sold the country a pup. Exactly what everybody expected since the crap deal was proposed. He must have gone and got Tony's AG rule book out of the cupboard.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

The deal comes down to trusting the EU. I trust them to look after themselves but no one else. So that's a 'no'.

No deal can be agreed with anyone, if there is no trust at all.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I have this vision of a po-faced German civil servant having to explain to Angela Merkel what a codpiece is.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    New thread.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

I thought HoC would be voting tomorrow on No Deal? And there was no way that vote would be lost i.e. No Deal off the table and extension.

Yep. If anything a narrow defeat would be seen by May as license to continue her game of chicken, which increases the chance of no deal (especially if we get a short extension, as we'd be unlikely to then get another). That could then force Remain-/soft Brexit-leaning Tories to move against her.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Anorak said:

Anorak said:

brendan16 said:

Voting against No Deal doesn't prevent No Deal, any more than voting against the sun setting will stop it getting dark.

Only voting *for* some practical measure that will prevent No Deal, will prevent it. As the law stands, Britain leaves the EU a fortnight on Friday, with or without a deal: parliamentary motions won't change that - only an extension, a revocation, or parliamentary ratification of a WA/FR deal.
  • Options
    Although Survation had them 7 points up in the most recent other poll?!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Spin nudging back up to 257.

Did my best trying to guesstimate a distribution, and it looks to be near flat between about 230 and 290 - ie two peaks with the trough inbetween filled in considerably.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Bill Cash effectively saying he will oppose
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664

TGOHF said:

Cox says vote for the deal.

He said it last time too.
    Indeed. pointless to argue or again . People were clear if his advice changed theyd think about it. May failed, end of .
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sean_F said:

One thing that puzzles me is why should any supporter of Remain, like Sam Gyimah, have a problem with the backstop? Surely, it has the effect of softening, rather than hardening, Brexit.

They are not interested in any form of Brexit at all.
    Well I can't speak for Sam Gyimah, but as a remainer up until last November I was very much in favour of the deal. I'd have preferred permanent membership of the customs union but the backstop seemed like at least a way of staying in it until things calmed down a bit.

But back then there didn't seem any realistic way of getting out of Brexit altogether. The only democratic way was a second vote - and the result of that was about 50:50. And who wants to win a referendum on a narrow margin anyway?

But since the new year all the shenanigans have undermined support for Brexit to such an extent that stopping the whole sorry episode now looks realistic.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635

HYUFD said:

Well, by definition, the person who wins will have been favourite at some point....
    I'm not sure that's true. It's entirely possible that a person may be elected without ever having been favourite. Popes are the obvious example.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

BBC BREAKING: DUP likely to vote against

If DUP vote against then a few dozen Tory MPs will follow their lead.

A deal that passed with the DUP opposed would have them tabling a vote of no confidence tomorrow.
    I don't think the DUP switching would be sufficient to bring down the government, now that there are so many independents.
    On the contrary, there’s now three fewer Conservatives. Unless of course TIG decide to vote with the government? If they abstain, the government would fall with the DUP opposed.
    I'm still hoping (for the Lolz more than anything) that Sinn Fein will rock up this afternoon and take the oath (fingers crossed of course). That'd throw the cat in amongst the pigeons.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Cyclefree said:

A GE is unlikely to solve anything.

Were I the EU I would say that the only basis I'd agree to an extension is for a vote on the Deal, as agreed as of last night, or Remain.

But the “Remain” question has been asked and answered.

Surely it’s “Deal” vs “No Deal” that is on the table?
    Not if you need the EU's permission for an extension. If you need their permission they will determine the basis on which the extension is granted.
  • Options

Although Survation had them 7 points up in the most recent other poll?!
    Ignore this: Wikipedia had inserted a poll from last year into the 2019 stats. Annoyingly, I did go into the article linked as it seemed very odd but when it checked out, I accepted it. Should have checked the dates!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Well, by definition, the person who wins will have been favourite at some point....
    I'm not sure that's true. It's entirely possible that a person may be elected without ever having been favourite. Popes are the obvious example.
    The Vatican tends to be less open to polling during the process!
  • Options
    Mrs May has negotiated a deal that relies extensively on the EU's good faith. The problem has always been that Leavers really don't trust the EU, but the Remainers do.

Tony's Blair's "We'll give back some of our rebate if you revise the CAP" was a classic of naïve meeting hard-headed EU practice. Sending soft, fluffy EU-fans who trust those nice men in Brussels was never going to end well.

Blair, Cammo, and May have found that out. Given their history, why would Leavers trust them?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A real sense of frustration seems to be growing against the ERG by some who previously voted against but are now voting for it. I think the ERG may well be in the process of destroying their own dream .

This discussion has been closed.