Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting opinion moves sharply against TMay’s chances of gettin

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    kle4 said:

Not just Hodges. Sounds like the Tories are briefing to put pressure on the ERG ...

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1105459270701772802?s=21

Why does that pressure them? They think remain is better than the deal so euro elections wont sppok them.
    Labour has had contingency planning for Euros for a while, though I'm not sure we think they'll be an enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Scott_P said:
    a GE is 'cleaner' potentially than a new referendum. at least people will know what they are voting for in the immediate.
    I wouldn't. What would the Tories be for?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    a GE is 'cleaner' potentially than a new referendum. at least people will know what they are voting for in the immediate.
    Except, as regard Brexit, for those who vote Labour or Conservative.
    Will there not be a great reckoning before/during the campaign? Or will the two leaders fudge something that allows their parties to continue to be home to people with opposite views on Brexit?
    Dunno. It's easier for Labour to fudge it, but there would still be a hell of an internal row about it, and the fudge would be unconvincing. As for Tories, it's hard to see any policy which would paper over the cracks.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

If the ERG had backed the deal today but it failed due to Labour/DUP/TIG and a tiny handful of Remain headbangers like Grieve then a new election could have solved things.

If the deal dies by 200 votes or similar a new election solves nothing. Only May's resignation can change things and if a new PM can unite the Tory Party behind something then an election might make sense.

But who...anyone from the ERG wing would send remainers to the TIG, and no 'remainer' would win...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915

Nigel Evans is switching to support the deal.

Not too many please :E
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

If the ERG had backed the deal today but it failed due to Labour/DUP/TIG and a tiny handful of Remain headbangers like Grieve then a new election could have solved things.

If the deal dies by 200 votes or similar a new election solves nothing. Only May's resignation can change things and if a new PM can unite the Tory Party behind something then an election might make sense.

In the circumstances, how do you see that unity arriving? From where I sit, the Europhobes have destroyed the modern Conservative party on the anvil of their own monomania. Compromise does not appear to sit in their lexicon.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    DavidL said:

What if May had the bottle to turn up and say this is not a vote of confidence in my government but a vote of confidence in me. I have done my best. I will resign if I lose. It would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

It'd ensure that no Labour MP voted for the deal, for a start.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Danny565 said:

IMO, Labour's position in a snap election will be "we'll extend Article 50 for two years, we'll negotiate our version of Brexit (Customs Union etc.), then we'll put that deal vs Remain in a referendum at the end of it".

Which would store up a lot of problems for them down the road if they actually got into government, but could potentially work as a short-term position to get them through the election campaign.

A GE on that basis could be 1997 all over again for the Tories, although, in spite of themselves, I suspect the LD's might do better than they did then.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Danny565 said:

IMO, Labour's position in a snap election will be "we'll extend Article 50 for two years, we'll negotiate our version of Brexit (Customs Union etc.), then we'll put that deal vs Remain in a referendum at the end of it".

Which would store up a lot of problems for them down the road if they actually got into government, but could potentially work as a short-term position to get them through the election campaign.

Labour will surely have the Tim Farron problem though. Every question will be about anti-semitism.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    edited March 2019
    Blatant attempt by Mogg to spin things out toward no deal

Edit/except it was all huff and no puff
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    matt said:

felix said:

The £ has recovered much of the lost ground against the EURO - I suspect the markets feel soft Brexit or remain now in the ascendency. On T. May - many mistakes made but the majority of the problems are really much more to do with the nature of the task set rather than the person charged with delivery. Seriously who'd have done much better?

David Davis, Boris Johnson, Andrew Bridgen etc etc. The whole lot of them.

In their own minds.
    Lol - yes QED!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bloody nonsense. Solves nothing so why does he want it? Moron.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

We don't know how the government will whip on the No Deal vote yet. Seems pretty hard to go either way without prompting cabinet resignations. If it whips for No Deal, then the PM could be looking for a new chancellor to deliver the Spring Statement.

Alternatively, it could have no whip and admit that it's completely lost any semblance of control.
    The government whipped against the Spelman amendment, so consistency suggests that they will whip to keep no deal as an option.
    That is the logic but it's a much sharper vote now and Hammond went as close as he could the other day to saying that he couldn't vote for it.

Presumably Rudd would have to resign too, which might set a record of sorts. Has anyone resigned twice from the cabinet within 12 months before?
    I think David Blunkett might have done that.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

If the deal dies by 200 votes or similar a new election solves nothing. Only May's resignation can change things and if a new PM can unite the Tory Party behind something

I was with you until those last six words.
  • Options
    Any sign of those mythical dozens of labour backers. By my reckoning they need about 80 of those....
  • Options
    lol May has lost her voice again!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What amendments were various bods trying to tack on this time round ?
  • Options
    conference voice redux...oh boy....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    May is not in good voice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Any sign of those mythical dozens of labour backers. By my reckoning they need about 80 of those....

Not too many today I hope !
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

nielh said:

My wife and children are booked to fly with Icelandair in a few weeks. Is there any way to tell whether their flight is booked to be on a Boeing 8 Max or not?

Nothing up on Icelandair's website or on their Twitter page that I can see regarding this.

I recently flew back from iceland on icelandair on a 737 max. should say on your ticjet
    Thanks. My wife has the tickets, if need be I'll ask her to check. I don't want to worry her if don't need to.

My wife and children are booked to fly with Icelandair in a few weeks. Is there any way to tell whether their flight is booked to be on a Boeing 8 Max or not?

Nothing up on Icelandair's website or on their Twitter page that I can see regarding this.

They have some Max in their fleet:

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Icelandair.htm

What’s the route?
    Manchester -> Keflavik, Keflavik -> Edmonton, Alberta.
    Both sectors are 757 - though the Edmonton sector may change if they have to swap out UK 738Max (LGW, for example) flights for 757s.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,443
    BBC (I know, I know) reporting ERG might abstain. How would that change things, surely better for May?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    Theresa needs to use the nuclear option here. Say that unless the DUP/ERG back her deal she will bulldozer legislation through revoking Article 50. Brexit will then be put on ice until parliament decides on an approach that everyone can agree upon. The ultras will be terrified that this will amount to a cancellation of Brexit and will come grovelling.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited March 2019

BBC (I know, I know) reporting ERG might abstain. How would that change things, surely better for May?

Each abstention counts for 0.5 out of the ~115 needed
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Jonathan said:

Why do the Tory faithful keep putting their trust in May?

Why did Labour keep putting its trust in Brown in 2008-10. Why did the Tories put their trust in Major from 1993-7?

It's not that the current situation is good; it's that there's a substantial risk that making a change now could make things worse. As such, best to wait.

FWIW, my view is that she has to see the country through the next few weeks but that once this phase is over, she needs to go immediately.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    "The Prime Minister may have lost her voice but would she agree with me that if we end up with a second referendum 17.2 million people will have lost theirs."

I liked that. Elegant.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    SeanT said:

It turns out the Irish government did not overplay its hand.

Earlier today you were confidently predicting a victory for the Deal, even though we told you this was unlikely. So your further utterances must be seen in that context.

We’ll see what happens, but there was quite a big caveat: that the ERG and DUP genuinely want to leave the EU.

• Options

Of course. And there's a steady trickle of switchers to the deal. In that event, she'd probably still lose, but by less than 100. That would return the indestructible can to May's feet to kick it down the road to another vote next week.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Okay, trying to break down to essentials:

As of today, we're legally set to leave the EU at 11pm, two weeks on Friday. This means that the only three options are:

1 - We sign a Deal
    2 - We extend the deadline (includes extension+GE, extension+ref, extension+alternate deal, extension+fannying about and achieving nothing)
    3 - We leave with No Deal

(NB - Item 3 is the default if nothing changes)

Deal-wise, this is the only one on the table. Chance of it passing - maybe 5%? Stranger things have happened.

If we ask to extend the deadline, my guess it will be "long, or nothing." With EU elections coming up, they need clarity on whether or not we'll be standing. If we're in them, we should run to the end of the budget period. If we're not, then it truly is "Deal or No Deal; we Brexit nevertheless". I can only see that happening if Parliament gets pretty close to passing it and May can convince the EU that one more heave will absolutely and genuinely get it over the line.

No-one (well, no-one in Parliament other than the loons) wants item 3, but if we're gridlocked, or if the EU overplay their hand in extension discussions ("You can have one, but give Spain Gibraltar"), it happens in 17 days and 9 hours, anyway.

My best guesses at odds:

- Deal (5%) [includes with short extension]
    - Long extension (60%)
    - No Deal (35%)
    - Other unexpected

Apply to become 51st state of the Union.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As it’s stopping selling the model in W.Europe is that a surprise?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

nielh said:

I recently flew back from iceland on icelandair on a 737 max. should say on your ticjet
    Thanks. My wife has the tickets, if need be I'll ask her to check. I don't want to worry her if don't need to.

They have some Max in their fleet:

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Icelandair.htm

What’s the route?
    Manchester -> Keflavik, Keflavik -> Edmonton, Alberta.
    Both sectors are 757 - though the Edmonton sector may change if they have to swap out UK 738Max (LGW, for example) flights for 757s.
    Thanks! That's [somewhat] reassuring.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    Fenman said:

Okay, trying to break down to essentials:

As of today, we're legally set to leave the EU at 11pm, two weeks on Friday. This means that the only three options are:

1 - We sign a Deal
    2 - We extend the deadline (includes extension+GE, extension+ref, extension+alternate deal, extension+fannying about and achieving nothing)
    3 - We leave with No Deal

(NB - Item 3 is the default if nothing changes)

Deal-wise, this is the only one on the table. Chance of it passing - maybe 5%? Stranger things have happened.

If we ask to extend the deadline, my guess it will be "long, or nothing." With EU elections coming up, they need clarity on whether or not we'll be standing. If we're in them, we should run to the end of the budget period. If we're not, then it truly is "Deal or No Deal; we Brexit nevertheless". I can only see that happening if Parliament gets pretty close to passing it and May can convince the EU that one more heave will absolutely and genuinely get it over the line.

No-one (well, no-one in Parliament other than the loons) wants item 3, but if we're gridlocked, or if the EU overplay their hand in extension discussions ("You can have one, but give Spain Gibraltar"), it happens in 17 days and 9 hours, anyway.

My best guesses at odds:

- Deal (5%) [includes with short extension]
    - Long extension (60%)
    - No Deal (35%)
    - Other unexpected

Apply to become 51st state of the Union.
    Puerto Rico might have an issue with that :)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    kinabalu said:

"The Prime Minister may have lost her voice but would she agree with me that if we end up with a second referendum 17.2 million people will have lost theirs."

I liked that. Elegant.

Also untrue unless Leave voters are to be barred from taking part in a second referendum, but yes, certainly elegant.
  • Options

Why did Labour keep putting its trust in Brown in 2008-10. Why did the Tories put their trust in Major from 1993-7?

It's not that the current situation is good; it's that there's a substantial risk that making a change now could make things worse. As such, best to wait.

FWIW, my view is that she has to see the country through the next few weeks but that once this phase is over, she needs to go immediately.

Very likely IMO.

I got her last week at 7.6 to go Q2 - could not believe that price.
  • Options

If the deal dies by 200 votes or similar a new election solves nothing. Only May's resignation can change things and if a new PM can unite the Tory Party behind something

I was with you until those last six words.
    Those last six words were preceded by a rather critical word, "if".
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    Danny565 said:
    Well there won't BE any further progress. This is the end of the road...thats it.
  • Options
    How symbolic is the PM's almost total inability to speak to this motion.
  • Options
    The house looks half empty.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The midpoint of the current SPIN price (249-259) implies 52 MPs will recant compared with last time.

No, me neither.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:
    What do they do with the Infinti cars they make?
  • Options

The midpoint of the current SPIN price (249-259) implies 52 MPs will recant compared with last time.

No, me neither.

Cox has surely put paid to that?

What on earth was May thinking to sign with great fanfare a codpiece that Cox hadn't signed up to?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,889
    rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Noone will be flying out of UK airspace on an 8 Max, and quite rightly so. So I assume if the flight was originally going to be an 8-Max it'd be another Boeing, or more likely being a european(ish) operator the fleet would mainly be Airbus.
    So the flight would still be going ahead? I'm worried we're going to be told the flight is cancelled.
    That is a possibility, but FI could get in some wet-leased planes to cover, like Norwegian did when their 787s were having their engines fixed.

I wouldn't worry too much right now about it though. The aviation authorities are grounding the Maxes to a) reassure the public and b) get Boeing to get its finger out.

Either Boeing will satisfactorily demonstrate the Max is safe, and that the two crashes were unrelated (which is still quite possible to be the case) or it will find and fix the issue. Chances are that the Maxes will be flying again by the time you and your family are.
    There is a third alternative: the planes are mechanically safe, but the changes to handling a near stall is the critical link. Experienced but inadequately retrained pilots are at risk in extreme pressure situations of reverting to their standard training, ending in a crash.

If this is the case, Boeing will have to convince the airlines, aviation authorities and the public, that the appropriate retraining to all 8 Max pilots is adequate. How long this takes is much harder to predict.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Theresa needs to use the nuclear option here. Say that unless the DUP/ERG back her deal she will bulldozer legislation through revoking Article 50. Brexit will then be put on ice until parliament decides on an approach that everyone can agree upon. The ultras will be terrified that this will amount to a cancellation of Brexit and will come grovelling.

Does revoking require parliament? Royal Prerogative surely.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Good on him for once. No need to drag out this political killing.
  • Options

No, me neither.

Cox has surely put paid to that?

What on earth was May thinking to sign with great fanfare a codpiece that Cox hadn't signed up to?
    Its inconceivable. If he had then there was indeed a chance, but what a stupid gamble.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1105473464302006272

Someone failed to keep DUP on board last night.
  • Options
    So some people who's nerves have broken vs the DUP and co, who wont read or listen to anything now since they've made their decision.
  • Options

Labour will surely have the Tim Farron problem though. Every question will be about anti-semitism.

I doubt the 'AS' issue will be a priority for many people.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,300
    Wow. You can smell the fear. Theresa might just pull this off.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,816

For all of Theresa May's faults, how would anyone else pass Brexit when the House of Commons has a clear majority of Remainers who oppose Brexit, and Leavers who oppose Brexit?
  • Options

Danny565 said:
    Well there won't BE any further progress. This is the end of the road...thats it.
    Exactly. Its absurd to keep expecting more. Just admit it was not good enough and so we must move on. That's a reasonable position, not to keep asking more.
  • Options
    If SPIN are right we're still looking at the second-biggest Parliamentary defeat ever aren't we?

How can May not resign? This situation is not credible.
  • Options
    edbedb Posts: 65
    Charles Walker is my MP. I can only imagine that "senior tory" is polite journo speak to mean he is a total non entity. He is past "junior" but not yet "veteran". He isnt "talented", "prominent", "outspoken" or "influential" and has never been tipped for any kind of promotion. This is the only time i can ever remember him being mentioned in national discourse except in a list of rank outsiders for the non-vacancy of House speaker.

What would it take to be described as plain "tory"?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I hope they enjoy the border poll which will likely be coming their way.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    RobD said:

The house looks half empty.

I think most MPs are living on black coffee, gin and Valium now so they are probably all in Westminsters bars and coffee shops contemplating jumping off the cliff edge...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:
    Exactly. Its absurd to keep expecting more. Just admit it was not good enough and so we must move on. That's a reasonable position, not to keep asking more.
    Its reasonable if the people involved change. A new PM could get new progress. May can not.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,533
    Against the wishes of NI business, trades unions and farmers - and two thirds of their electorate.

Dickheads.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I second this emotion.

That would be the policy and I would give Labour a good chance of winning such an election.
  • Options

Of course. And there's a steady trickle of switchers to the deal. In that event, she'd probably still lose, but by less than 100. That would return the indestructible can to May's feet to kick it down the road to another vote next week.
    Why? What would change someone's mind then?
  • Options

Wow. You can smell the fear. Theresa might just pull this off.
    She's toast.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

For all of Theresa May's faults, how would anyone else pass Brexit when the House of Commons has a clear majority of Remainers who oppose Brexit, and Leavers who oppose Brexit?

Come up with a Brexit that can be backed by Leavers then go to the polls to get backing for that.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Noone will be flying out of UK airspace on an 8 Max, and quite rightly so. So I assume if the flight was originally going to be an 8-Max it'd be another Boeing, or more likely being a european(ish) operator the fleet would mainly be Airbus.
    So the flight would still be going ahead? I'm worried we're going to be told the flight is cancelled.
    That is a possibility, but FI could get in some wet-leased planes to cover, like Norwegian did when their 787s were having their engines fixed.

I wouldn't worry too much right now about it though. The aviation authorities are grounding the Maxes to a) reassure the public and b) get Boeing to get its finger out.

Either Boeing will satisfactorily demonstrate the Max is safe, and that the two crashes were unrelated (which is still quite possible to be the case) or it will find and fix the issue. Chances are that the Maxes will be flying again by the time you and your family are.
    There is a third alternative: the planes are mechanically safe, but the changes to handling a near stall is the critical link. Experienced but inadequately retrained pilots are at risk in extreme pressure situations of reverting to their standard training, ending in a crash.

If this is the case, Boeing will have to convince the airlines, aviation authorities and the public, that the appropriate retraining to all 8 Max pilots is adequate. How long this takes is much harder to predict.
    If you need to retrain pilots to fly in your plane that is different to their experience and requires them to not act on their instincts, is it not the planes that need altered, not the pilots?

“See that’s were you’ve been going wrong, guvner. You’ve been putting your foot down on the brake pedal in an emergency stop situation. On the new model you have to push the button the dashboard that looks like a kitkat. You know “take a break, take a kitkat, geddit?”
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Sean_F said:

Not to mention a Lab leadership that will oppose any deal regardless of its contents.
  • Options
    Think he comes from the Boris/Davis/Raab camp?
  • Options
    matt said:

dr_spyn said:

I wonder how the south would feel about reunification ?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

lol May has lost her voice again!!

Is anyone listening anyway?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,039
    A kinder, gentler time. Now it's all codpieces & getting fucked.

https://twitter.com/JournoStephen/status/753615205540716544
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Against the wishes of NI business, trades unions and farmers - and two thirds of their electorate.

Dickheads.
    Maybe the DUPs behviour will see a revival of the Ulster Unionists?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Danny565 said:

A GE on that basis could be 1997 all over again for the Tories, although, in spite of themselves, I suspect the LD's might do better than they did then.
    But Kantar has them 10% ahead! In reality,though, most of the 6% recorded for Greens would end up voting Labour.
  • Options
    Buckle up boys (and girls)..this is going to get very very rocky...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Come up with a Brexit that can be backed by Leavers then go to the polls to get backing for that.
    A lot of people who call themselves Leavers will oppose any form of Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why? What would change someone's mind then?
    Because it's what she does. Lose? Try again. Lose again? Try once more. (rinse and repeat) It might even work.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:
    Its reasonable if the people involved change. A new PM could get new progress. May can not.
    Progress by the end of the month? You're living in a dream world
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955

Sean_F said:

But we're not a cohesive group. I agree with almost nothing Archer101au says, for example. I doubt I agree very much with Jeremy Corbyn either.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

A spot a tiny flaw in your otherwise excellent plan.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

kinabalu said:

I liked that. Elegant.

Also untrue unless Leave voters are to be barred from taking part in a second referendum, but yes, certainly elegant.
    Nope it is absolutely true. There is no point asking people to vote if you do not follow through on what they vote for. All those who voted to Leave will have been old their votes are worthless.

That is also the message that many of us will be pushing in the coming years. Democracy in Britain has failed and the whole system needs to be swept away.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Danny565 said:

But Kantar has them 10% ahead! In reality,though, most of the 6% recorded for Greens would end up voting Labour.
    I think it would be more like one of those inconclusive elections they had in the 1920's.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    If you are ERG you are going to get another go at voting on May's deal, either before the end of the month or after an extension. There is no need to vote for it now with 3 weeks left until we leave. They may however have their hand forced next time round in order to ensure Brexit goes ahead.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Pulpstar said:

Or that the requirement to place bigger, more powerful engines higher up and further forward (to save the huge redesign work of taller landing gear) has introduced an inherent instability in certain situations. Boeing’s rather snooty response to the Lion Air crash may have been ill-advised.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Does revoking require parliament? Royal Prerogative surely.
    Unclear, but possibly. Courts would no doubt be asked.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edb said:

Charles Walker is my MP. I can only imagine that "senior tory" is polite journo speak to mean he is a total non entity. He is past "junior" but not yet "veteran". He isnt "talented", "prominent", "outspoken" or "influential" and has never been tipped for any kind of promotion. This is the only time i can ever remember him being mentioned in national discourse except in a list of rank outsiders for the non-vacancy of House speaker.

What would it take to be described as plain "tory"?

Isn't he chair of a Commons committee? That's not a total non-entity.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So some people who's nerves have broken vs the DUP and co, who wont read or listen to anything now since they've made their decision.
    Scott_P said:
    Essentially the same point that David Edgerton made in his book "The Shock of the Old". Sometimes, it is better to stick with what you have and not make things too complicated.
  • Options
    Brom said:

If you are ERG you are going to get another go at voting on May's deal, either before the end of the month or after an extension. There is no need to vote for it now with 3 weeks left until we leave. They may however have their hand forced next time round in order to ensure Brexit goes ahead.

I'm not sure...I think there's a good chance if she doesn't get it tonight. She's gone tomorrow.
  • Options

matt said:

dr_spyn said:

I wonder how the south would feel about reunification ?
    Emotionally happy. The wider economic and political consequences for North and South would be pretty adverse. But as one can see with Brexit, emotion can trump objective logic.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:
    Progress by the end of the month? You're living in a dream world
    Who said by the end of the month?

If it was up to me we'd extend for 21 months and the first thing to do in that extension is have a Tory leadership election.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    kinabalu said:

Danny565 said:

I second this emotion.

That would be the policy and I would give Labour a good chance of winning such an election.
    I haven't got a stable view in my mind on the likely outcome of a snap election. However there are some pretty negative forces that will work against Labour and they are starting behind in the polls. I'm not confident of predicting anything, or should I say I'm much less confident than normal and I'm never that confident.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

That is precisely it. Parliament will not back any Brexit that is both (i) meaningful and (ii) feasible. Why we had that referendum in 2016 I do not know.
This discussion has been closed.