Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Something has changed. For the first time I can see how Brexit

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

Slashing the tariffs on arms & ammunition.....

https://twitter.com/CharlieCooper8/status/1105728975119233024

Good to see the approach of minimising tariffs being taken.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

matt said:

matt said:

Scott_P said:

matt said:

It should spook them because of the reaction of the electorate. You know, the people who vote in elections. Food prices will rise is not a vote winner. Still, some inflation will harm those on fixed incomes. The retired voted for it, they can enjoy it.

£1500 on a new VW Golf...

That should put the frighteners on some.
    VW should have ceased to exist following the emissions scandal. The power of Germany. Compare to the reaction of British authorities to Rolls-Royce cheating.
    In which case we wouldn't have many manufacturers left, considering how many of them were caught doing similar things *before* VW:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_emissions_scandal#Previous_defeat_device_cases
    And indeed, how many aside from VW group have subsequently been discovered to be doing it.

The answer is to have *proper* independent testing of cars, a little like Euro NCAP for safety.

BTW, several cars have in recent years got *zero* stars for Euro NCAP - like the 2017 Fiat Punto and 2018 Fiat Panda. IMO they should be banned.
    https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/fiat/punto/29849
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/panda/105415/fiat-panda-gets-shocking-zero-star-ncap-crash-test-rating

This shows how brilliant NCAP have been at forcing safety standards up: less than a decade earlier, both these cars scored well.
    The world has changed. The final sentence in the initial section of your link indicates the extent to which VW was a corrupt organisation. Arguably one might say that the cheating worked in that it allowed the VAG to cement a dominant position in the European auto market. One could reasonably conclude that systemic lawbreaking is an effective business practice if the cost is significantly less than the benefit.
    I'd argue it wasn't much different to when the other manufacturers made 'mistakes'.

It's odd how those 'mistakes' were always to their benefit. ;)

They did it because, whilst the regulations were strict, the testing was incredibly lax. The answer is to increase the independent testing. As I said, Euro NCAP is probably a good model to base a new organisation on.
    We should agree to disagree. Although as an endnote, if the cheating is embedded in the auto’s software systems, I would have thought that third party testing would be materially harder than NCAP. One would still be relying on the honesty of the manufacturer and if they are endemically dishonest... The Huawei effect, as it were.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    Sandpit said:

Slashing the tariffs on arms & ammunition.....

https://twitter.com/CharlieCooper8/status/1105728975119233024

Good to see the approach of minimising tariffs being taken.
    Except on Sheep Meat & buses.

I wonder why they picked on buses?

Maybe in all this chaos someone has a sense of humour.....
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Good morning, everyone.

Quite the storm last night. Still noisy now, but the wind has died down somewhat. Hopefully it'll be calmer soon.

And how was the weather :)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:

ydoethur said:

So this morning we are in the bizarre situation where the only institution more scandal-ridden, inept, leaderless, pathetic and dishonest than the government...

...is the Opposition.

Reflected in the fact the Tories still have a big lead in the polls despite being split from top to bottom and having just suffered the two heaviest defeats of any government since 1688.

And on top of that, in 16 days we have a massive economic upheaval to contend with.

We're screwed, aren't we?

https://twitter.com/sueperkins/status/1105564760152698881
    Somebody is fucking Chris Grayling?

Dear me. I hope I'm never that desperate...
    'Chris Fucking Grayling'. It means he sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    what a day for the comment system to be on the Fritz
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Find it weird that so much focus is on the hardline Leavers, whereas the majority of MPs opposing the deal are pro-EU.

It's ironic that those who love and hate the EU found themselves voting the same way.

You’re confused why the focus is on people who say they want to Leave not voting to do so? OK.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Testing?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Find it weird that so much focus is on the hardline Leavers, whereas the majority of MPs opposing the deal are pro-EU.

It's ironic that those who love and hate the EU found themselves voting the same way.

The deal was killed by Leavers. If Leavers had collectively backed the deal, enough erstwhile Remainers would have been persuadable to get it over the line.
    Indeed. If all Conservative Leavers had voted for the Deal last night, it would only have lost by about 15 or so - easily close enough to justify a near-immediate MV3 and massive pressure put on the Remainer Conservative rebels. I'd expect it to have certainly passed on a third go by this weekend.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    kinabalu said:

Testing?

If you are talking about Brexit, yes it is. Very.

But don't worry it's going to be cancelled shortly.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Meanwhile, in California:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47549422

So, as far as I can tell:
    - they had a referendum, and the people got the answer "wrong";
    - so they had another one, and the people got the answer even wronger;
    - at the same time, a separate referendum resulted in the people voting to actually move in the opposite direction to the one preferred by the State Governor;
    - so obviously, the Governor in question is unilaterally trying to implement his original plan anyway.

At least it's only life and death, and not something really important, like Brexit.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

kinabalu said:

Testing?

I’ve woken up today much more anxious than yesterday. No Deal suddenly seems a very real possibility, maybe even the likeliest outcome. Today’s vote changes nothing.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1105757995579908098?s=21
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

The deal was killed by Leavers. If Leavers had collectively backed the deal, enough erstwhile Remainers would have been persuadable to get it over the line.
    Indeed. If all Conservative Leavers had voted for the Deal last night, it would only have lost by about 15 or so - easily close enough to justify a near-immediate MV3 and massive pressure put on the Remainer Conservative rebels. I'd expect it to have certainly passed on a third go by this weekend.
    And, further, had we been in that position, enough Labour leavers would have gone along with it in return for their place in history.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    PB Vanilla embed has been down for nearly 12 hours! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    SeanT said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

I’ve woken up today much more anxious than yesterday. No Deal suddenly seems a very real possibility, maybe even the likeliest outcome. Today’s vote changes nothing.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1105757995579908098?s=21
    Nothing. Has. Changed. :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    matt said:

We should agree to disagree. Although as an endnote, if the cheating is embedded in the auto’s software systems, I would have thought that third party testing would be materially harder than NCAP. One would still be relying on the honesty of the manufacturer and if they are endemically dishonest... The Huawei effect, as it were.

Fair enough re. disagreeing.

But if I may: the problems are the laxness of the tests and the people doing the testing. IIRC, this was discovered when someone doing testing - and with their own emissions kit - realised that the real-world emissions from driving on the road were massively different from those reported. Not just a little different; massively different.

There's nothing stopping an independent test body doing similar tests. Get them to buy a brand-new car from a dealer's showroom (not one provided by the manufacturer), and then test it thoroughly and fairly. Then let the manufacturers argue if they dislike the results.

The current system is far too cosy to the manufacturers. And hence we get back to the FAA and Boeing. ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

It was VL and Cummings that overwhelmingly swung it, and the electorate voted for it on its merits (or the EU’s demerits if you prefer).

So this is what people voted for.

https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/744138949384278016?s=21
  • Options
    I simply cannot understand the ERGs position. simple maths shows they do not, and will not have the numbers for a hard Brexit/no deal.

Therefore they have two tactics.

1) Get a no-deal by default, despite the numbers in the house being against it. Which i think is highly unlikely given an extention or even revoking is much more palatable.

2) Topple May. get a ERGer as PM/Leader and win a GE. which I think is also hugely improbable as the ERG are not the majority of MPs (and would result in huge defections out of the party if they did win), and good luck winning a majority on a utterly split party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Given the number of government loyalists who supported Remain in the referendum the Deal probably had the support of more Remainer MPs than Leaver MPs.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Fire, the vast majority of MPs backed triggering Article 50 and starting the process of leaving the EU.

Doing that, then opposing May's deal *and* opposing no deal is completely irrational. Or cowardly. Either way, it's bloody stupid. If you don't want us to leave, fine, but voting to start the process then rejecting any sort of leaving is worthy of contempt, and comment.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

It can't just be "cancelled". That would be a surefire way to totally fuck the country.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Still can't see let alone post any comments on Vanilla main site!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Nigelb said:
    Kind of burying the lede there, one voter in three wants TMay to stay.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    "This deal is getting worse all the time!" - Lando Calrissian.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

It can't just be "cancelled". That would be a surefire way to totally fuck the country.
    It can be cancelled. And that is the only way to avoid further damage to the country.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    If Parliament has voted against leaving with a deal and votes today against leaving without a deal, then logically it is saying that it wants to Remain.

There is no other choice. There is no other deal on the table.

So it has to revoke Article 50 or seek a long enough extension to allow a referendum to be held to let us make a decision. But since Parliament doesn’t seem able or willing to enact the decisions made by referenda, then the only thing left to do, given how little time there is left, is to revoke while we work out what we do want to do.

But I fear that through panic and incompetence and stupidity we will end up exiting in chaos. Those hard right Tory MPs who think this will benefit their style of politics do not seem to realise that this makes a hard Left government increaingly likely and will be the first to be crying out for the protections that EU membership gave us.

It is very depressing and very sad.

Whatever happens we have done a great deal of harm to our reputation as a stable sensible country.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Mr. Sandpit, check the weather. A few days ago it was forecast to be very wet. In those circumstances, Verstappen might be value.

No rain on three forecasts I just checked.
    https://www.bbc.com/weather/2158177
    https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/ASXX0075:1:AS
    Talking of weather,
    Wind is worst in the UK in a band that goes from Liverpool to Cleethorpes, Ripon to Leicester. Scotland and southern England relatively calm right now

Looking at windy.com
    A fresh north-westerly in south Devon at the moment. Dog didn't hang around long before wanting to retreat to a snug sofa....

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Mr. Sandpit, check the weather. A few days ago it was forecast to be very wet. In those circumstances, Verstappen might be value.

Talking of weather,
    Wind is worst in the UK in a band that goes from Liverpool to Cleethorpes, Ripon to Leicester. Scotland and southern England relatively calm right now

Looking at windy.com
    A fresh north-westerly in south Devon at the moment. Dog didn't hang around long before wanting to retreat to a snug sofa....
    Seriously windy driving to Perth this morning.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

If Parliament has voted against leaving with a deal and votes today against leaving without a deal, then logically it is saying that it wants to Remain.

So it has to revoke Article 50 or seek a long enough extension to allow a referendum to be held to let us make a decision. But since Parliament doesn’t seem able or willing to enact the decisions made by referenda, then the only thing left to do, given how little time there is left, is to revoke while we work out what we do want to do.

But I fear that through panic and incompetence and stupidity we will end up exiting in chaos. Those hard right Tory MPs who think this will benefit their style of politics do not seem to realise that this makes a hard Left government increaingly likely and will be the first to be crying out for the protections that EU membership gave us.

Whatever happens we have done a great deal of harm to our reputation as a stable sensible country.

They have always wanted to remain. They just lied to get elected. Today will see more virtue signalling. It’s tiresome. They should just order the PM to revoke and have done with this democracy nonsense once and for all.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Changing the electorate for a second referendum would absolutely undermine its legitimacy

For this to have any chance of achieving a long term resolution it needs to be like Caeser’s Wife

On the contrary. The legitimacy of the first referendum is highly questionable. The second one needs to be seen as the definitive one and so has to have as broad an electorate as possible.
    No. The perception will be that the Remainers didn’t get the answer they wanted so not only are they having a revote but they are trying to tip the scales even further
    Most people will breathe a sigh of relief if it is seen as a means os settling the thing once and for all.

• Options

I simply cannot understand the ERGs position. simple maths shows they do not, and will not have the numbers for a hard Brexit/no deal.

1) Get a no-deal by default, despite the numbers in the house being against it. Which i think is highly unlikely given an extention or even revoking is much more palatable.

2) Topple May. get a ERGer as PM/Leader and win a GE. which I think is also hugely improbable as the ERG are not the majority of MPs (and would result in huge defections out of the party if they did win), and good luck winning a majority on a utterly split party.

The ERG don’t need the numbers. They have no deal on the statute book already. They think - and, sadly, they may well be right in this - that so long as no alternative legislation is passed they win.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    They love being treated differently when it suits them. Screw the DUP.
    Does this mean they can import from EU cheaper than UK and so be able to then export it to UK and undercut mainland business.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

They are betting that Treason Mayhem won't revoke A50 when the UK is on the vinegar strokes of no deal in a few week's time. Given that she puts the tory party ahead of the country every single time it's a sporting bet.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

No no. Everything will carry on as normal. Remainers are perfectly confident about that.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

"This deal is getting worse all the time!" - Lando Calrissian.

Do you still Be Leave, my chirpy chum?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cyclefree said:

The ERG don’t need the numbers. They have no deal on the statute book already. They think - and, sadly, they may well be right in this - that so long as no alternative legislation is passed they win.
    At least they're being honest about what they want.

The MPs who voted for A50 but are against a deal and no deal are the hypocrites.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

No no. Everything will carry on as normal. Remainers are perfectly confident about that.
    There are no good options from here, merely alternative disasters.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Can someone clever explain to me how today’s vote changes anything? Even if parliament expresses a clear rejection of No Deal, No Deal is still the default in 17 days, right?

I mean, don’t they actively have to vote FOR an alternative - the Deal, Revoke, etc - to rule out No Deal? Maybe I am missing something. Maybe this has been explained upthread but it’s a total pain wading through Vanilla threads.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

kinabalu said:

Testing?

You think it can get any more "Fcuked" up?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

It can be cancelled. And that is the only way to avoid further damage to the country.
    You don't even want a "People's Vote"? How very democratic of you.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Talking of weather,

Looking at windy.com

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Talking of weather,

Looking at windy.com
    Ayrshire was wild all night howling and chucking it down, now just strong winds rain stopped and sun out.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Brexit means cheaper trainers and more expensive cars it seems.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kinabalu said:

Testing?

We've had one.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

More threats of vandalism and violence are surely only moments away.
  • Options

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

There are no good options from here, merely alternative disasters.
    It will be revoked and we will go back to just being the laughing stock of Europe.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. G, sounds similar to here. Very windy, but not too dark and not raining.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

Yes, Malc, it can still get a lot, lot worse. If that bunch of tossers in Westminster just say "fuck it, it's cancelled" because they are too stupid to make things work, then we are really down the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    edited March 2019
    At some point the EU will accept that any resurgence of the troubles will fall almost wholly on the UK. No letter bombs were sent to the GFA. As we have seen, meanwhile, no border will be put up.

It will be the UK's problem while any retaliation against NI Catholics will be condemned vigorously. All the while pressure for a united Ireland will mount.

Could the madmen in the ERG branch of the Conservative and Unionist Party have played this any worse?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Can someone clever explain to me how today’s vote changes anything? Even if parliament expresses a clear rejection of No Deal, No Deal is still the default in 17 days, right?

I mean, don’t they actively have to vote FOR an alternative - the Deal, Revoke, etc - to rule out No Deal? Maybe I am missing something. Maybe this has been explained upthread but it’s a total pain wading through Vanilla threads.

It's not the only vote, and should be followed by others which might demonstrate a parliamentary majority in favour of actually doing something.
    Whether there is now time to do that and then implement it is another matter - and probably subject to the co-operation of the EU members.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No Deal is on the statute book. So it will happen unless alternative legislation is brought in. Today’s vote achieves nothing. Unless it is followed by legislation cancelling the previous legislation and revoking Article 50. All of this is under our control.

Anything else requires the EU to agree and they may not or impose unacceptable conditions.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    TOPPING said:

Could the madmen in the ERG branch of the Conservative and Unionist Party have played this any worse?

They’ll see that as a challenge.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sometimes you have to lead people through the logic very slowly in tiny steps. So it is with the House of Commons.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

May might use it in an emergency last-minute thing to say no-deal is out, there are no other options, so I am triggering the deal. Essentially this is a de facto meaningful vote.

It provides air cover for things to come.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The MPs who voted for A50 but are against a deal and no deal are the hypocrites.
    The ERG were liars during the referendum campaign when they claimed a deal would be easy peasy. I don’t recall them saying that if we voted Leave it meant a No Deal exit.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

They are betting that Treason Mayhem won't revoke A50 when the UK is on the vinegar strokes of no deal in a few week's time. Given that she puts the tory party ahead of the country every single time it's a sporting bet.
    Of course May will revoke if it gets to the wire. Her vote against no deal today is a sure sign. So far, her wanting to keep her party together has pushed her toward humouring the nutters, but no deal works the other way.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    DavidL said:

I think the ERG are a bunch of fanatical morons, but the People's Vote Remainers are even more deluded. The idea that a second vote will end the issue is ridiculous. There are going to be millions of very, very pissed-off people, and the damage done to politics in this country will be profound.

There is a lot of merit in the argument that with the country split down the middle on EU membership that we need a close relationship with the EU, whilst no longer remaining a member. The advocates for the two extremes — Remain and pretend that settles the issue, or crash-out WTO advocates — are both playing with fire, even if they don't realise it.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

More threats of vandalism and violence are surely only moments away.
    I dunno about threats of vandalism and violence. I'm sure there would be a few people who fancy caving in the front of Currys to get a free telly though.
    I do know that Westminster is in a very precarious position. They have never been more hated than they are at this moment. The whole place looks like a nest of vipers. That isn't good for democracy in this country and will lead to some very unpleasant results at the ballot box come the GE that must surely be coming like a train towards us. A second referendum might take some of the toxicity out of the atmosphere, whereas a straight up revocation would intensify it.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

It's not the only vote, and should be followed by others which might demonstrate a parliamentary majority in favour of actually doing something.
    Whether there is now time to do that and then implement it is another matter - and probably subject to the co-operation of the EU members.
    It changes things politically rather than legally. And gives government justification to bring forward a revocation to enact Parliament's will, in extremis.

It also reduces the number of remaining options and therefore pushes others up the list.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It sounded yesterday as though she backed away from that, as she said that No Deal presents a risk to the Union.

She's still hoping to force her deal through rather than pivoting to an alternative though.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited March 2019
    Today's and tomorrows votes are all about giving the virtue signalling numpties in parly something to virtue signal about "oooh I voted against/for no deal then tweeted about it".

They have forgotten how to lead and govern.

Mr Malthouse at least seems to have worked out a plan - whether you like it or not at least it has some detail.

The rest are just thrashing around suggesting can kicking or referendums with loaded questions which would leave the country ungovernable afterwards.

We need to choose better politicians and hammer them at the ballot box when they fail to deliver. Some good may come of this.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The ERG were liars during the referendum campaign when they claimed a deal would be easy peasy. I don’t recall them saying that if we voted Leave it meant a No Deal exit.
    Conversely a Leaver would have to be a special kind of dim not to have foreseen precisely this outcome. Whatever the outcome will be of course.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

May might use it in an emergency last-minute thing to say no-deal is out, there are no other options, so I am triggering the deal. Essentially this is a de facto meaningful vote.

It provides air cover for things to come.
    That would go down well
  • Options
    Another thing - the Con party need to eject May as leader by 1st July at the latest. Simply not up to the level required.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

My argument is that Brexit is so damaging it should be cancelled. That's it. If we vote for it again it will still be damaging. So I would still think it should be cancelled.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Something I was thinking about last night, there seems to be an incredibly arrogant unspoken assumption that an extension will automatically be granted (By implication this is for remainers voting against the deal). It probably will be, but it might not.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677
    Nigelb said:
    Base size 500....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Something I was thinking about last night, there seems to be an incredibly arrogant unspoken assumption that an extension will automatically be granted (By implication this is for remainers voting against the deal). It probably will be, but it might not.

https://twitter.com/DanielBoffey/status/1105758532777971712
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the EU want the deal to be voted through at the 3rd attempt they should reject an extension.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    TGOHF said:

Today's and tomorrows votes are all about giving the virtue signalling numpties in parly something to virtue signal about "oooh I voted against/for no deal then tweeted about it".

Mr Malthouse at least seems to have worked out a plan - whether you like it or not at least it has some detail.

The rest are just thrashing around suggesting can kicking or referendums with loaded questions which would leave the country ungovernable afterwards.

Norway Plus / Common Market 2.0 / UK4EFTA / etc. counts as "a plan", too. It has disadvantages, yes, but what doesn't.

It also has the crucial advantage that our laws will be made by actual grown-ups in Brussels rather than overgrown toddlers in Westminster.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    SeanT said:

What did flying to Strasbourg on Monday night achieve? What did last night's vote achieve? I guess the only answer is "all of it is TMay trying to lead a majority of MPs to a conclusion other than folding their arms and going harrumph". With, erm, limited success so far - a pattern I expect will be repeated tonight.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Pulpstar said:

It seemed pretty clear that the EU will only grant an extension if it serves some useful purpose, but won't do so in order to give the UK Parliament a few more months to kick the can down the road.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Talking of weather,

Looking at windy.com

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Talking of weather,

Looking at windy.com
    The Fremantle Doctor often does that.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Scott_P said:

matt said:

It should spook them because of the reaction of the electorate. You know, the people who vote in elections. Food prices will rise is not a vote winner. Still, some inflation will harm those on fixed incomes. The retired voted for it, they can enjoy it.

Why would I need a Golf when I'm getting a free Unicorn?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

I am not certain that MPs can control anything anymore, even their bowels.

This is what Take Back Control looks like in practice.

With the country this divided over the next step to the point of paralysis, it doesn't bode well for coherent plans afterwards, whether in or out.

A 21 month Bextension, with a GE this summer is probably the best option. Even for WTO leave there needs to be time to prepare.

Perhaps kicking the politicians in the nuts in 2016 has not had a positive effect on national prospects after all.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

Yes, Malc, it can still get a lot, lot worse. If that bunch of tossers in Westminster just say "fuck it, it's cancelled" because they are too stupid to make things work, then we are really down the rabbit hole.

I do agree they may well be as stupid as that.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Norway Plus / Common Market 2.0 / UK4EFTA / etc. counts as "a plan", too. It has disadvantages, yes, but what doesn't.

It also has the crucial advantage that our laws will be made by actual grown-ups in Brussels rather than overgrown toddlers in Westminster.
    The reason Labour has started talking up its deal again is because something along those lines is probably the least unpopular and would have emerged top had Parliament held the indicative votes that were being proposed weeks back.

May's deal has been rejected heavily. No deal will be rejected even more heavily today. A second referendum would probably be rejected less heavily, if still significantly. Revocation and remaining would also be rejected heavily.

A soft Brexit Labour type deal would be rejected narrowly - and might even pass with other options already ruled out. And the EU has already hinted it would be acceptable.

It's where a sensible PM would have started from, two years back. Only the humiliation of seeing the opposition's plan voted through and two years of Tory effort going down the toilet stops May from embracing it.
  • Options
    i'm f**king done with the tories. If they continue to run towards this cliff edge, then they deserve everything coming to them, including a Corbyn government.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Conversely a Leaver would have to be a special kind of dim not to have foreseen precisely this outcome. Whatever the outcome will be of course.
    I foresaw a smooth movement to EEA, a reversion to common market trade agreement with common standards. And a government creating the infrastructure to properly introduce the entirely legal free movement of labour rules that exist and have not been used. The EU would be fairly cooperative of something that kept us within their sphere influence.

There would need to be a customs agreement, that might take a bit longer, but that’s what a time period is for. I didn’t realise the utter madness that was the PMs redlines would become an article of faith.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Testing?

Given we are already FUBAR, you might argue that there's nothing left to lose. Brexit was on the table – those who wanted it keep voting against it. We are a parliamentary democracy. What other option is there but to revoke until we work out what the hell is going on?
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Scott_P said:

matt said:

Why would I need a Golf when I'm getting a free Unicorn?
    :)
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Base size 500....
    It's a small sample, but what do you expect just hours after the vote ?
    It certainly beats the vox pops on the news programs.

The electorate seems to have no more clue than does parliament:
    In terms of what the prime minister should do after that, the country remains as divided as ever. Just under a third — 29 percent — want the PM to come out for a second referendum, while a quarter — 25 percent — want her to come out for no deal. Overall 35 percent still want some form of negotiated deal, even if that means with Labour support.

When asked about future options, 38 percent said they favored remaining in the EU. When this question was asked in a POLITICO-Hanbury poll in February, 31.5 percent said they wanted to retain EU membership....
  • Options

i'm f**king done with the tories. If they continue to run towards this cliff edge, then they deserve everything coming to them, including a Corbyn government.

Leave voters need to accept their share of responsibility for where the country now is. They leapt before they looked.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    TGOHF said:

We need to choose better politicians and hammer them at the ballot box when they fail to deliver. Some good may come of this.

Who & where are those better politicians of whom you speak?
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Base size 500....
    Your bestie Tessa Maybot is an absolutely awful PM, but has the advantage of being slightly less awful than the leagues of comedians, quarterwits, bigots and dullards who have ambitions to her throne.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I foresaw a smooth movement to EEA, a reversion to common market trade agreement with common standards. And a government creating the infrastructure to properly introduce the entirely legal free movement of labour rules that exist and have not been used. The EU would be fairly cooperative of something that kept us within their sphere influence.

There would need to be a customs agreement, that might take a bit longer, but that’s what a time period is for. I didn’t realise the utter madness that was the PMs redlines would become an article of faith.
    Touching.

But not a keen student of politics though.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

With the country this divided over the next step to the point of paralysis, it doesn't bode well for coherent plans afterwards, whether in or out.

A 21 month Bextension, with a GE this summer is probably the best option. Even for WTO leave there needs to be time to prepare.

Perhaps kicking the politicians in the nuts in 2016 has not had a positive effect on national prospects after all.

So we'll take part in the 2019 EU elections?

That may have the unexpected result that it reduces UKIP and Tory representation in England and Wales and increases votes for other parties.
  • Options
    I realise that panic is the current zeitgeist but it is worth pausing to note that no deal isn't very good for the EU either. For all this morning's protestations, there is going to be a powerful impetus towards agreeing an extension if one is sought.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    TOPPING said:

notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Touching.

But not a keen student of politics though.
    I was when I graduated in Politics twenty plus years ago. Maybe my mind is rotting.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Cyclefree said:

People are getting overblown on this. We are still stable we are just having a period of very fraught politics, as many nations do from time to time, even very stable ones. It's a crisis but people do no favours in pretending very intense and difficult political issues are in themselves a sign of the end times.
  • Options
    If only Leave hadn't described No Deal as Project Fear.
  • Options
    Theresa May's concession speech last night outlined the options:

Revoke now
    Re-referend
    Seek a different deal

Parliament is going to need to choose a course of action pronto.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Who & where are those better politicians of whom you speak?
    TUD, they will parachute in their crack regional sub office teams, they are brimming with talent. Ruth the Mooth will sort it out along with her little Labour helpers top talent assisting
    assisting
  • Options
    notme2 said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you for finally confirming that you are delusional.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

kinabalu said:

Testing?

I don't see such a long extension as being realistic. The EU doesn't want it, and nether, apparently, does our electorate. From the poll cited above:

There is also support for an extension of the Article 50 negotiating period with 44 percent in favor and 39 percent against. This support drains away, however, the longer the proposed extension. The public clearly finds an extension of one month acceptable — 52 percent to 34 percent in favor. Support for a three-month delay is wafer thin: 44 percent to 43 percent....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

They're not even running to the cliff edge, just stumbling drunkenly over it because they dont like the way the grass was cut near the cliff edge
This discussion has been closed.