Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s Standard has surely got this right – TMay is in offi

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

O/T (except as an illustration of the quality of stock roaming the corridors of power).

A novel approach to tackling knife-crime; stick with the comments for the entertainment..

https://twitter.com/scottmann4NC/status/1106128906480951296

some very cutting comments...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

HYUFD said:

Control of the process is now clearly passing to Parliament as last night's votes show and for some sort of CU and SM BINO, Tusk has also signalled the EU would grant a lengthy extension if the UK shifted in that direction today

But other EU countries saying no
    Like who? Provided it is a shift towards BINO or EUref2 then should be no problem
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    edited March 2019
    TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Control of the process is now clearly passing to Parliament as last night's votes show and for some sort of CU and SM BINO, Tusk has also signalled the EU would grant a lengthy extension if the UK shifted in that direction today

It seems to me that control is passing to nobody.
    Control is passing to a cabal of unrepresentative MPs and a speaker who are hell bent on ignoring the referendum.

Good luck to anyone trying to run the country if they succeed.

Nah, the HoC is accurately reflecting a British public lost, conflicted and confused about the fiasco of Brexit.
    Disagree - the public want Brexit over. The HoC wants to can kick forever rather than take a decision.
    Brexit will never be over. Not for ten years* at least. Maybe if we revoke, but even then doubtful.

* Five years perhaps if full Vassal State and no arguments, but submitting to Brussels rule by order isn't going to sit well. (And further edit, of course there will be arguments. It has taken nearly three years so to NOT agree three Withdrawal Agreement preliminaries.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Control is passing to a cabal of unrepresentative MPs and a speaker who are hell bent on ignoring the referendum.

Nah, the HoC is accurately reflecting a British public lost, conflicted and confused about the fiasco of Brexit.
    Disagree - the public want Brexit over. The HoC wants to can kick forever rather than take a decision.
    Brexit will never be over. Not for ten years at least. Maybe if we revoke, but even then doubtful.
    Same goes for EU integration. An unstoppable force with only one destination.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But other EU countries saying no
    Like who? Provided it is a shift towards BINO or EUref2 then should be no problem
    Mark Stone said several countries led by France
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,051
    On a different subject R&D in 2017 was at its highest as a proportion of GDP of any year since 1990.

Discounting military R&D it would have been at its highest for much longer:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/researchanddevelopmentexpenditure/bulletins/ukgrossdomesticexpenditureonresearchanddevelopment/2017#uk-rd-expenditure-continues-long-term-upward-trend

The report shows that R&D was at its lowest level during the Blair government.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Aye, that's the sad truth.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Scott_P said:
    each time one of these morons speaks, one has to wonder what else hey can come out with that will make the average intelligence of the average British politician appear lower
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    Scott_P said:
    Dying.

(Catastrophically).
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

It is always amusing when people irrationally claim to know the mind of the public (or worse, "the people"). It is though "the public" is actually some kind of super-mind, like Lovelock's earth in the Gaia principle. it is complete nonsense. "The People" do not exist, just a lot of confused individuals, some with logic, some without.
    My bugbear is "if everyone did X, then we could Y" . A sure fire indicator that Y is doomed to fail
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott_P said:
    We are rewriting the rulebook if Conservative MPs will not vote to sustain a Conservative government.
    Ministers are not sustaining a Conservative government as of last night.

The queen should step in soon.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    each time one of these morons speaks, one has to wonder what else hey can come out with that will make the average intelligence of the average British politician appear lower
    I’m starting to come round to the idea of a momentum-style deselection campaign against this lot.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If so and many labour mps are determined to vote against, the peoples vote will be humilated tonight
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Brexit will never be over. Not for ten years* at least. Maybe if we revoke, but even then doubtful.

* Five years perhaps if full Vassal State and no arguments, but submitting to Brussels rule by order isn't going to sit well. (And further edit, of course there will be arguments. It has taken nearly three years so to NOT agree three Withdrawal Agreement preliminaries.)
    A decade seems rather optomistic to me considering the slow progress over the last 30 months!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Has any whipping been effective in recent weeks?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    We are rewriting the rulebook if Conservative MPs will not vote to sustain a Conservative government.

The stakes certainly got upped yesterday, with a lot of Ministers - including in the Cabinet - putting their careers on the line. Those who rebelled will now see that if May succeeds, they will be out on their ear in a mahoosive reshuffle. And if Brexit fails, they will get deselected for their pains of being on the "winning" side.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Brexit will never be over. Not for ten years at least. Maybe if we revoke, but even then doubtful.
    The EU integration bandwagon has more or less stopped.There is almost zero willingness for it amongst member states. This is the other side of the coin from "The EU is incapable of change" criticism that comes from largely the same people. I think the second criticism has more validity, incidentally.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    There have been a fair few comments on here about how few Labour rebels there have been recently. I wonder if that will continue.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Scott_P said:
    I can see why they've made that decision but it's dangerous for them if the majority is smaller than the number of Labour abstainers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Whipped to abstain? OMG, the depths that our two main parties have fallen to. Proper statesmen must be spinning in their graves. Make a fucking decision you idiots,one way or tother. It is what you are paid salaries for.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:
    More strategic genius from the "grown-ups" that are the Tiggers.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:
    Whip to Abstain?

Way to provide strong quality leadership there Corbyn...ffs.

Yet again proving that the house of incapable of voting 'for' something./
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

The stakes certainly got upped yesterday, with a lot of Ministers - including in the Cabinet - putting their careers on the line. Those who rebelled will now see that if May succeeds, they will be out on their ear in a mahoosive reshuffle. And if Brexit fails, they will get deselected for their pains of being on the "winning" side.....
    Where are the men in grey suits that should be stepping in to tell May to step aside.

Could May agreeing to step down get MV3 through ?

• Options

Scott_P said:
    I can see why they've made that decision but it's dangerous for them if the majority is smaller than the number of Labour abstainers.
    Peoples vote is disappearing off the radar
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The EU integration bandwagon has more or less stopped.There is almost zero willingness for it amongst member states. This is the other side of the coin from "The EU is incapable of change" criticism that comes from largely the same people. I think the second criticism has more validity, incidentally.
    The desire is still there. A momentary pause on the journey, perhaps, but they certainly aren’t changing direction. Could you imagine the EU giving up any real competences, for example?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

'My ministers are being frightfully naughty. They must stop it at once'.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Does the vote today stipulate which flavour (short/technical or longer) extension will be approved?
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Scott_P said:
    Because there's so much of it left....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'd have thought the Tiggers would support Wollaston ?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

'My ministers are being frightfully naughty. They must stop it at once'.
    Maybe we should “Activate The Queen” and send her off to Brussels.

Bet you she’d do a better job.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

And suffer a similar loss of reputation ?
    Don't be silly.

• Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed. Ever closer union is something that the swivel-eyed froth about, but is seen as completely unimportant to the majority of continental Europeans as it is completely meaningless.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The desire is still there. A momentary pause on the journey, perhaps, but they certainly aren’t changing direction. Could you imagine the EU giving up any real competences, for example?
    No. Hence I think the accusation of stasis is nearer the mark.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Groan. I think the real target for the Wollaston amendment should be 242 - key thing is to say that there are more MPs supporting this approach than May's. But that would require a helluva lot of Labour rebels.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed. Ever closer union is something that the swivel-eyed froth about, but is seen as completely unimportant to the majority of continental Europeans as it is completely meaningless.
    How is it meaningless?

• Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    For those accusing Gove yesterday of being a competent but uninspiring middle-manager, I commend to you David Lidington :)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Pulpstar said:

Wollaston amendment should show up the split in Labour.

As I feared the TIG are showing themselves up to be rather smug and hectoring extreme centrists.
    that is one of the best oxymorons I have ever heard
    *Pauses to wonder whether "best oxymoron" is, itself, an oxymoron*
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Well, we have the hilarious sight of rebel Brexiteers - who have spent the last four months repeatedly voting against three-line whips on the most important policy of the government - complaining about colleagues not following a very late and confused three-line whip on a motion which had not been discussed in Cabinet. So if we're going to do deselections, let's start with the serial rebels, eh?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Whip to Abstain?

But wait - didn't Labour say they were FOR a second referendum?

How did all parties end up quite this shit at the same time?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Whip to Abstain?

No, they're only in favour if their preferred Brexit is ruled out
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Floater said:
    Not really. It's a straightforward decision - there won't be a referendum unless the house votes for one, and there is another amendment to that effect already tabled. This amendment is pointless.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Where are the men in grey suits that should be stepping in to tell May to step aside.

May stepping down won't be of any interest to the DUP. They need a Bloody Big Bribe. I've been saying it long enough - PROMISE THEM THE BRIDGE-TUNNEL COMBO TO SCOTLAND.

It's not like May is going to be cutting the bloody ribbon. She won't even be around when the first detailed costs are offered up, making her successor blanche at that many noughts......
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Whipped to abstain? OMG, the depths that our two main parties have fallen to. Proper statesmen must be spinning in their graves. Make a fucking decision you idiots,one way or tother. It is what you are paid salaries for.
    but, but , but they deserve so much more the poor little lambs

Sack them all and start again
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Particularly shocking when you see something like this on such an impartial site as "Guido Fawkes" !!!! I mean Paul Staines clearly really loves Bercow.
  • Options

Well, we have the hilarious sight of rebel Brexiteers - who have spent the last four months repeatedly voting against three-line whips on the most important policy of the government - complaining about colleagues not following a very late and confused three-line whip on a motion which had not been discussed in Cabinet. So if we're going to do deselections, let's start with the serial rebels, eh?
    Labour's also please.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Scott_P said:
    There have been a fair few comments on here about how few Labour rebels there have been recently. I wonder if that will continue.
    Surely any Labour MPs who defy the whip to abstain will just point to policy set at Conference as their justification?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/sep/25/labour-conference-brexit-debate-starmer-increasingly-likely-to-vote-down-mays-brexit-deal-starmer-says-politics-live
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

May stepping down won't be of any interest to the DUP. They need a Bloody Big Bribe. I've been saying it long enough - PROMISE THEM THE BRIDGE-TUNNEL COMBO TO SCOTLAND.

It's not like May is going to be cutting the bloody ribbon. She won't even be around when the first detailed costs are offered up, making her successor blanche at that many noughts......
    No doubt it’ll be built and they both leave shortly after. “So long, and thanks for this rather lovey bridge” :D
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

As I feared the TIG are showing themselves up to be rather smug and hectoring extreme centrists.
    Would that be an oxyoxymoron, or an oxymoronmoron?
  • Options

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Jacob Rees-Moron?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280

Pulpstar said:

And you’re a kindred spirit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

No doubt it’ll be built and they both leave shortly after. “So long, and thanks for this rather lovey bridge” :D
    Take it, with our blessing.....
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    The Tiggers are backing the Second Referendum amendment. FWIW, I agree with People's Vote not the Tiggers here: today's primary purpose is to support the concept of extension. Second referendum is subsidiary and should not get in the way of primary purpose. Cooper/Benn amendment a better way of tethering the cart once we have the horse.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Jacob Rees-Moron?
    AKA Snoop Mogg.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1105423352733282304
  • Options
    Floater said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

How is it meaningless?

It has about as much resonance and meaning as one of Theresa May's meaningful votes. Only the most extreme integrationists in Europe believe in it. It is like the Labour Party's Clause 4, sorry like Clause 4 used to be before a load of dinosaurs came back form the dead in a political version of Jurassic Park!
  • Options
    Floater said:
    I wonder historically, how many other amendments with 127 signatories have not been selected by a Speaker?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Labour's also please.
    Yes, they should of course take the thirty-year history into account where MPs have been in parliament that long.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2019

Floater said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

How is it meaningless?

... Only the most extreme integrationists in Europe believe in it...
    Like Macron and Merkel?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/merkel-and-macron-s-answer-to-populism-ever-closer-union-3twb3m8xk
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It will be an exciting crossing as it will tunnel through the biggest pile of WW2 bombs
  • Options

Floater said:
    I wonder historically, how many other amendments with 127 signatories have not been selected by a Speaker?
    I am not terribly in favour of a second referendum, but why are Brexiteers so terrified of a second ref? I thought you have always said the will-o-the-people is with you?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Oh jauk, jouk, neuk, souk, wauk or yeuk?
    To break the logjam, Mrs May needs to do two things. The first is to consult Parliament, in a series of indicative votes that will reveal what form of Brexit can command a majority. The second is to call a referendum to make that choice legitimate. Today every faction sticks to its red lines, claiming to be speaking for the people. Only this combination can put those arguments to rest.

And so any deal that Parliament approves must be put to the public for a final say. It will be decried by hardline Brexiteers as treasonous and by hardline Remainers as an act of self-harm. Forget them. It is for the public to decide whether they are in favour of the new relationship with the eu—or whether, on reflection, they would rather stick with the one they already have.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    In light of this...

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1106185993005264897?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1106185993005264897&ref_url=https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/mar/14/brexit-mps-to-vote-on-delaying-departure-from-european-union-politics-live

...I suspect Wollaston will pull the amendment at the last minute, to save it only getting about 30 votes.
  • Options

Floater said:
    I am not terribly in favour of a second referendum, but why are Brexiteers so terrified of a second ref? I thought you have always said the will-o-the-people is with you?
    More that the decision of the first one should be enacted first.
  • Options

Floater said:
    For a pointless amendment the number of signatories is irrelevant.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Oh jauk, jouk, neuk, souk, wauk or yeuk?
    To break the logjam, Mrs May needs to do two things. The first is to consult Parliament, in a series of indicative votes that will reveal what form of Brexit can command a majority. The second is to call a referendum to make that choice legitimate. Today every faction sticks to its red lines, claiming to be speaking for the people. Only this combination can put those arguments to rest.

And so any deal that Parliament approves must be put to the public for a final say. It will be decried by hardline Brexiteers as treasonous and by hardline Remainers as an act of self-harm. Forget them. It is for the public to decide whether they are in favour of the new relationship with the eu—or whether, on reflection, they would rather stick with the one they already have.
    Except this isn’t the new relationship with the EU. That is to be decided afterwards because of the EU’s sequencing policy.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    The atmosphere in the house has changed. It is very light hearted as if a burden has been lifted. Perhaps they can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps it is the absence of the spectral figure of Mrs May. Something has changed in the dynamics.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It will be an exciting crossing as it will tunnel through the biggest pile of WW2 bombs
    And poison gas.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

What the bleeding fuck are you talking about? Integration is accelerating. What’s more, since Lisbon they don’t need Treaty change to do it. They want an EU army, EU wide migration laws, harmonised taxes, harmonised minimum wages, one EU UNSC seat, they want it all. Moreover, the horrible logic of the eurozone means that they HAVE to go for much closer integration - pooling debt, etc. Because if they don’t the eurozone will fly apart in the next crisis.

Perhaps you missed Macron’s speech on all this. Understandable I suppose. He is just the president of France.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-european-parliament-election-calls-for-big-eu-changes-in-european-renaissance/

Sure, he won’t get everything he wants at once. But the direction of travel is obvious. Only a lying cretin, or a British Europhile (i.e. the same thing) would pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Jacob Rees-Moron?
    Jacob Rees-Mogg, a man of moderately extreme views.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Jacob Rees-Moron?
    AKA Snoop Mogg.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1105423352733282304
    Coming up: Moggystyle, Tha Moggfather, No Limit Top Mogg, Tha Blue Carpet Treatment, Moggumentary.....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    In light of this...

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1106185993005264897?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1106185993005264897&ref_url=https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/mar/14/brexit-mps-to-vote-on-delaying-departure-from-european-union-politics-live

...I suspect Wollaston will pull the amendment at the last minute, to save it only getting about 30 votes.
    More critically, the amendment will be pulled because once voted on it isn't normally allowable to table the same proposal again (May and her deal being an exception, clearly)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Floater said:
    You're not kidding anyone there! But I don't believe a 2nd ref to be good for the country (far worse than May's deal anyway), it'll lead to disenfranchisement for millions and will prolong the process and uncertainty. No question suitable will be agreed by a majority I suspect and I don't expect the losing side to honour the result any better than some MPs have this time round. I'd also expect a 3rd ref if remain won. So really it's not a solution only more 'unicorns'.

At the moment we are one agreement away from resolving the issue at least for the forseeable future. With a people's vote we may be 3 or 4 momentous dragged out decisions away. If you ask the public do you want this dragging on for months and years they will say no, and ergo they won't like a People's Vote. In some ways revoking article 50 would be better.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    In light of this...

The ERG should have offered to cosign it lol
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    It's interesting how all sides in the Brexit debate continue to use personal insults against their opponents. It does nothing at all to solve the toxic nature of the crisis. People who are simply extolling sincerely held positions they've always believed in are dubbed as "idiots".
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Floater said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

How is it meaningless?

... Only the most extreme integrationists in Europe believe in it...
    Like Macron and Merkel?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/merkel-and-macron-s-answer-to-populism-ever-closer-union-3twb3m8xk
    Who are those nobodies?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Whip to Abstain?

Westminster is the Boeing 737 Max 8 of parliaments?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

What the bleeding fuck are you talking about? Integration is accelerating. What’s more, since Lisbon they don’t need Treaty change to do it. They want an EU army, EU wide migration laws, harmonised taxes, harmonised minimum wages, one EU UNSC seat, they want it all. Moreover, the horrible logic of the eurozone means that they HAVE to go for much closer integration - pooling debt, etc. Because if they don’t the eurozone will fly apart in the next crisis.

Perhaps you missed Macron’s speech on all this. Understandable I suppose. He is just the president of France.

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-european-parliament-election-calls-for-big-eu-changes-in-european-renaissance/

Sure, he won’t get everything he wants at once. But the direction of travel is obvious. Only a lying cretin, or a British Europhile (i.e. the same thing) would pretend otherwise.
    I think the term cretin and any other term for people of limited intellect belongs to anyone who believes Muslims should be deported for simply being Muslim. You are talking out of your backside once again. It is said that travel broadens the mind. Clearly being of broad mind does not apply to travel writers for Rupert Murdoch's Times.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The atmosphere in the house has changed. It is very light hearted as if a burden has been lifted. Perhaps they can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps it is the absence of the spectral figure of Mrs May. Something has changed in the dynamics.

Sadly it is probably just the prospect of having a few more months to continue the atmosphere of unrealistic debate.
  • Options

I think the term cretin and any other term for people of limited intellect belongs to anyone who believes Muslims should be deported for simply being Muslim. You are talking out of your backside once again. It is said that travel broadens the mind. Clearly being of broad mind does not apply to travel writers for Rupert Murdoch's Times.

But his point is correct. Unless you think Macron wasn’t being serious?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

Floater said:
    I don't understand that argument. If I say, I'll have a pint of bitter, and I then say, *before the barman has started to pump the bitter, *, no make that Guinness, where is the sense in saying sorry, mate, you have to have the bitter first?
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

Foxy said:

TGOHF said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Certainly he travels the world but seems to learn next to nothing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Confirmed what? The linked tweet has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

How is it meaningless?

Ever Closer Union isn't meaningless, but it isn't happening either. The European Union is a massive Jenga puzzle. It can scarcely afford to add any pieces or take them away from the pile or the whole edifice come tumbling down. This is the EU's weakness and its strength. It is fragile, and make no mistake Brexit is a threat to the EU and is seen as such. But everyone knows the score and no-one rocks the boat, including badly behaved countries like Hungary. It's why German car manufacturers won't come to the rescue of a nice-to-UK deal. It's why Ireland will get its way on the backstop and it's why the UK will find the EU to be a tough partner to deal with little fudge on offer.

The reason for this brittleness is that the EU operates by consensus of 28, now 27, member states with different agendas and it is over reliant on legal force for execution of its policies. Its issues stem from it NOT being the superstate that few people want it to be.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    IanB2 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    In light of this...

More critically, the amendment will be pulled because once voted on it isn't normally allowable to table the same proposal again (May and her deal being an exception, clearly)
    At what point can you no longer pull an amendment. Bercow did not allow Spelman to pull her amendment yesterday. I am not clear on how close to the vote that was but it seems like to was a few hours before. Might Wollaston be unable to pull her amendment?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Floater said:

How is it meaningless?

Ever Closer Union isn't meaningless, but it isn't happening either. The European Union is a massive Jenga puzzle. It can't scarcely afford to add any pieces or take them away from the pile or the whole edifice come tumbling down. This is the EU's weakness and its strength. It is fragile, and make no mistake Brexit is a threat to the EU and is seen as such. But everyone knows the score and no-one rocks the boat, including badly behaved countries like Hungary. It's why German car manufacturers won't come to the rescue of a nice-to-UK deal. It's why Ireland will get its way on the backstop and it's why the UK will find the EU to be a tough partner to deal with little fudge on offer.

The reason for this brittleness is that the EU operates by consensus of 28, now 27, member states with different agendas and it is over reliant on legal force for execution of its policies. Its issues stem from it NOT being the superstate that few people want it to be.
    That has always been the case and yet it has still accrued significant powers over the individual states.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Territorials really didn't get involved in anything until Iraq and Afghan. tbf.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    That he is now the de facto leader of the Labour Party?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

You'd probably take a longer, more northern route to avoid Beaufort's Dyke. What's a couple of extra billion out of Spreadsheet Phil's war chest? (And like he has any long-term career plans for that money anyway....)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

Labour do not support the PV amendment
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

RobD said:

Floater said:
    I don't understand that argument. If I say, I'll have a pint of bitter, and I then say, *before the barman has started to pump the bitter, *, no make that Guinness, where is the sense in saying sorry, mate, you have to have the bitter first?
    Political transactions are rarely so simple. It was repeated during the campaign that this would be it, no further votes. You don’t have the same conditions when ordering your drink.
This discussion has been closed.