Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s Standard has surely got this right – TMay is in offi

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

This is infinitely depressing. We have lost. We have no backbone. The Enlightenment is over. Now comes the Darkening.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1106196762690314240?s=21

Imagine the furore and outrage if another school had caved into pressure from protesters and stopped teaching classes on Islam...
    An utter disgrace.
    It is
    If I were 25 years old, I would emigrate tomorrow. Britain is finished. Europe is finished. Stagnation and religious strife await.

I’d go to America. Where English freedoms and the Enlightenment are still, thank god, protected by that Constitution. And I’d buy lots of guns.

Or I’d go to Asia. The future.
    You might want to look more closely at American news before making that decision.

I follow American news closely. They too have culture wars, and they too have a weird class of people using identity politics to deconstruct their own hardwon freedoms. BUT they have that Constituion. A vital bulwark against the madness. Plus they have a more vibrant economy. Especially in California, where I’d go. Maybe Santa Barbara.
    California is generally badly run. Its schools are on a par with those of Mississippi, it has almost the highest State taxes in the USA, its infrastructure is falling apart, it's overregulated, and over-unionised.

It's great if you've got enough money to ignore these failings.
    That’s true about all of the US: it’s a great place to live if you have money.
    Even if you have money, in tghe US you often have to work longer hours, commute for longer and have half the annual leave compared to comparable work in the UK and Europe.
    Not necessarily, I work similar hours, get as much, if not more vacation than I did in the UK, and my commute is infinitely less stressful as it no longer involves Southeastern (the subway is worse than the tube I grant you). OK, so my employer is a European company, but my T&Cs were pretty much the same at my last job which was an American company.
    Your individual case does not invalidate the general observation.
  • Options

Christ, he can't even get his 'I was belt and braces prepared for No Deal & look what those naughty terrorists have done' strategy right.
    Germans, playing the long game again.....
    It's a British bomb.
    Hey Siri show me the perfect metaphor for Brexit.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    _Anazina_ said:

Scott_P said:
    Did the ludicrous Cox bellow in everyone's earhole?
    Maybe, what if he did? He finally showed something beyond his presentation this week by not taking an easier political choice at the expense of his legal professionalism.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

ERG adding names to Woolly amendment to ensure its voted on. Politics is now broken lol

Why is it that I get the genuine impression that practically every person on PB is several magnitudes brighter than practically every MP in Parliament?

And that is not me being sarcastic. I believe that the vast majority of people on here, including all those I rant against daily, have a better understanding pf politics, the EU, real life and business than almost everyone sat in the Commons.

We are led by imbeciles.
    Think yourself lucky we haven't got 650 Alexandria Ocasio-Cortezs
    Why? – nowt wrong with AOC. She has got serious game and would one considered a centre-left moderate were she European.
    She represents America's future far more than Trump and his base do.
    As far as I can tell, even in most of Europe, she would be well to the Left of centre left.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

This is infinitely depressing. We have lost. We have no backbone. The Enlightenment is over. Now comes the Darkening.

Imagine the furore and outrage if another school had caved into pressure from protesters and stopped teaching classes on Islam...
    An utter disgrace.
    It is
    If I were 25 years old, I would emigrate tomorrow. Britain is finished. Europe is finished. Stagnation and religious strife await.

I’d go to America. Where English freedoms and the Enlightenment are still, thank god, protected by that Constitution. And I’d buy lots of guns.

You might want to look more closely at American news before making that decision.

I follow American news closely. They too have culture wars, and they too have a weird class of people using identity politics to deconstruct their own hardwon freedoms. BUT they have that Constituion. A vital bulwark against the madness. Plus they have a more vibrant economy. Especially in California, where I’d go. Maybe Santa Barbara.
    California is generally badly run. Its schools are on a par with those of Mississippi, it has almost the highest State taxes in the USA, its infrastructure is falling apart, it's overregulated, and over-unionised.

Even if you have money, in tghe US you often have to work longer hours, commute for longer and have half the annual leave compared to comparable work in the UK and Europe.
    Not necessarily, I work similar hours, get as much, if not more vacation than I did in the UK, and my commute is infinitely less stressful as it no longer involves Southeastern (the subway is worse than the tube I grant you). OK, so my employer is a European company, but my T&Cs were pretty much the same at my last job which was an American company.
    Overall, the standard of living is about a third higher in the US than it is here, but probably worse there the bottom quarter of the population than it is here.
    When I worked for a US Company in Germany (in '85), the US Citizens there got 2 weeks holiday, the Brits got 4 weeks and the Germans got 6 weeks as per their home company's arrangements.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

On both potential Wollaston-2 and MV3 being ineligible because they've already been asked, hasn't a customs union been voted down about 5 times by the house already ?

As has No Deal

So that leaves Revoke...
    I might be misremembering but I'm sure SNP amendments to revoke article 50 have been defeated before now.
    So really things already considered have to be allowed back I guess.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Well yes, but the House of Commons' own expressed view on the subject is clearly going to be a highly relevant consideration for the chair. The Bryant amendment seems highly risky to me for that reason.
    So...if the Speaker is consistent in his rulings* then by calling Wollaston's amendemnt, ERG could have found a way to rule out both a second referendum AND MV3?

*planet-sized if, naturally
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited March 2019
    rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

ERG adding names to Woolly amendment to ensure its voted on. Politics is now broken lol

Why is it that I get the genuine impression that practically every person on PB is several magnitudes brighter than practically every MP in Parliament?

And that is not me being sarcastic. I believe that the vast majority of people on here, including all those I rant against daily, have a better understanding pf politics, the EU, real life and business than almost everyone sat in the Commons.

We are led by imbeciles.
    Why? – nowt wrong with AOC. She has got serious game and would one considered a centre-left moderate were she European.
    What? Completely lacking in knowledge of pretty much anything, and unqualified for the job? That's just same-old same-old.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,441
    kle4 said:

Christ, everything has to be about him doesn't it?
    Wasn’t the ‘different way of negotiating’ to sue the EU(?) for some reason or other. I’m sure that would have landed us in a much better position.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    As far as I can tell, even in most of Europe, she would be well to the Left of centre left.
    On ethno-cultural issues, I would say maybe , but on social-economic ones, I'd say she might closer to the social democratic European mainstream.
  • Options
    C'mon Sunil, forget trains - here's a challenge to beat:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47524760
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,258
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

On both potential Wollaston-2 and MV3 being ineligible because they've already been asked, hasn't a customs union been voted down about 5 times by the house already ?

As has No Deal

So that leaves Revoke...
    I might be misremembering but I'm sure SNP amendments to revoke article 50 have been defeated before now.
    Don't think the house has voted on a revoke
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Well yes, but the House of Commons' own expressed view on the subject is clearly going to be a highly relevant consideration for the chair. The Bryant amendment seems highly risky to me for that reason.
    So...if the Speaker is consistent in his rulings* then by calling Wollaston's amendemnt, ERG could have found a way to rule out both a second referendum AND MV3?

*planet-sized if, naturally
    For MV3 I'd say yes. The deal would then be definitively dead, I'd say.

A second referendum might get a further chance if circumstances changed further in the coming days. Indeed, if MV3 is blocked, Theresa May might conceivably throw her weight behind it, given that no deal is ruled out.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Overall, the standard of living is about a third higher in the US than it is here, but probably worse there the bottom quarter of the population than it is here.
    I would say you're spot on.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/economist-survey-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-modern-monetary-theory-2019-3?r=US&IR=T
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Perhaps I’m alone in my view, but I think it’s dangerous to conflate GDP per capita and standard of living.

I think it’s worse for the bottom 80-90% in terms of lived experience.
  • Options

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    What? Completely lacking in knowledge of pretty much anything, and unqualified for the job? That's just same-old same-old.
    She's young, female and non-white. That's America's future.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sean_F said:

I don't think that's cricket.
    https://twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1106214740425089024
    With the ERG's political nous, the other MPs will probably pass it - just to spite them.....
    I wonder if a backbench rebellion forcing a second referendum in the teeth of opposition from both front benches might be just what both May and Corbyn secretly desire. "Wasn't my fault guv."
  • Options
    If MV3 is refused because it’s the same as MV2 I’m sure the government could get another bit of paper from Brussels to tack on the end as an Appendix or something (Illustrative Flowchart of Backstop Extraction Options maybe?)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    FWIW I think people are misreading the Wollaston amendment. Look at the signatories:

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/1106087013890043904

It's TIG, the Lib Dems, Plaid and the SNP, plus two strongly anti-Corbyn Labour MPs (Coyle and Geraint Davies).

It isn't meant to succeed. It's so that when Corbyn finds some magic excuse not to back a second referendum ever, which frankly he will, the others can throw this at him/Labour.

It is, basically, Focus leaflet fodder (or the modern equivalent, viral Facebook clips). If/when everything goes to sh-t and we end up in a General Election, this is going to be thrown at every Labour candidate in the land: you refused this, you own Brexit.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    I'd prefer competence to a tick box list, thanks.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I hate this argument. In any democracy people take decisions that will impact people who weren’t able to vote at that time, or will impact some people differently than themselves.

So many better arguments for a second referendum.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited March 2019

FWIW I think people are misreading the Wollaston amendment. Look at the signatories:

It's TIG, the Lib Dems, Plaid and the SNP, plus two strongly anti-Corbyn Labour MPs (Coyle and Geraint Davies).

It isn't meant to succeed. It's so that when Corbyn finds some magic excuse not to back a second referendum ever, which frankly he will, the others can throw this at him/Labour.

It is, basically, Focus leaflet fodder (or the modern equivalent, viral Facebook clips). If/when everything goes to sh-t and we end up in a General Election, this is going to be thrown at every Labour candidate in the land: you refused this, you own Brexit.

Yup, see my post @ 3:09. Wollaston has confirmed she's not pulling it.
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1106233925603606530
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    I'd hope more than just being ethnically representative of the nation is desired. Truthfully I haven't seen why she upsets so many on the right though. If she's useless she wont continue to make waves as she has to date. I'd assume it was too early to tell on substance but she presents well.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Scott_P said:
    theyre not young people theyre adults and they couldnt be arsed to vote
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I don't think that's cricket.
    https://twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1106214740425089024
    With the ERG's political nous, the other MPs will probably pass it - just to spite them.....
    Or the ERG might end up voting for it by mistake.
    They really are the Judean People's Front. Suicide squad.....That showed em eh?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I hate this argument. In any democracy people take decisions that will impact people who weren’t able to vote at that time, or will impact some people differently than themselves.

Agreed. We should never implement anything on that basis. It also undermines itself because any new consent will exclude a new group of non voters.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    It is this way of thinking that will ruin the USA.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I'd prefer competence to a tick box list, thanks.

She seems very competent.

The Cohen testimony was almost art.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I've been on the receiving end of lost votes. That doesn't make it illegitimate for the winners to implement policies that I didn't agree with.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Twelve, quite. It also adds some gerontophobia into an already poisonous political atmosphere.

The implication that votes are worth relatively less if cast by the elderly is a wretched one.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

rpjs said:

eristdoof said:

rpjs said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

An utter disgrace.
    It is

Your individual case does not invalidate the general observation.
    No, but my point is that it varies widely by location and industry. Certainly there is much more market forces at play in the US in terms of what ts&cs people with sought-after skills can get.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:
    ''''

Some apostrophes for you.

Are you claiming that there are no young people in the country?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    Scott_P said:
    I'm very doubtful about the desirability of a second referendum. I rather like Lisa Nandy's article in the Guardian this morning.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803

Scott_P said:

Indeed.

And by the same argument there will be people in Dr Wollaston's contingency who not only thought they were voting for a Conservative MP on a manifesto to implement Brexit but also people who were not old enough to vote her in 2017...

So Dr W should put her money where her mouth is and hold a by election.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

The unexpurgated version:

twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1106226181643341825

"May "went batshit" at Remain rebels" : "It was AN ORDER! Steiner's attack was AN ORDER!"
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    RoyalBlue said:

Yes there's something in that. Although food is cheaper in the US the quality is dismal compared to Europe. And as for healthcare......
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    I'd hope more than just being ethnically representative of the nation is desired. Truthfully I haven't seen why she upsets so many on the right though. If she's useless she wont continue to make waves as she has to date. I'd assume it was too early to tell on substance but she presents well.
    She doesn't upset them, she's just an easy target. You should watch some of the long-form interviews she has done.
  • Options
    If she didn't sack them it's nothing but words and fake contrition.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Scott_P said:
    About 1.5 million young people have turned 18 since the referendum.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:
    ''''

Some apostrophes for you.

Are you claiming that there are no young people in the country?
    Im claiming Woollaston is a big fat hypocrite. a woman so concerned about the young she jammed £9k uni fees on them

ps apostophe opportunity for you.
  • Options
    Would she mind expressing some of this passion in public? The speak-your-weight machine act has long outstayed its welcome.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    and ?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Scott_P said:
    and ?
    How did you expect them to vote?
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

rpjs said:

rpjs said:

_Anazina_ said:

We are led by imbeciles.
    It is this way of thinking that will ruin the USA.
    It's not opinion, it's demographics.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    I voted to leave. I did not vote to ask the EU for permission to leave. Yet, it has been all along as if the UK electorate voted for the latter, the final straw being the vote to rule out the so called "no deal". The EU's decision to offer utterly punitive withdrawal terms amounts to their saying no to a request from the UK to ask for permission to leave. Their aim is to keep the UK in the EU, either as now or under May's BINO arrangement which would be even more advantageous to them than the current status quo.

With a resolute PM determined to leave, the exact opposite of what we have, the starting point for negotiations should have been for the UK to declare that it would be leaving, and that the EU could only choose whether to reach agreement with the UK on future trading arrangements before or after we left. We would make clear that we knew we could get better terms after leaving and that if the EU failed to negotiate seriously (which it signalled at the outset with the insistence on the backstop) we would walk away until after March 29th 2019. The UK would have declared that it did not accept that the EU would fail to negotiate after that date, and made it clear to all the world that the UK was perfectly prepared to wait because we knew we would get better terms after we were out. We would, because the question of whether or not the UK leaves would be off the table. We would publish draft tariff schedules that were as punitive as they could be to EU imports under the limitations of WTO terms, declaring that we hoped that they would last no more than a few weeks once the EU stance changed to a goal of negotiating a trade settlement in its interests, rather than of offering nothing to dissuade the UK from leaving. When the EU retailiated with plans for similar tariffs of their own, we would react with equinimity, pointing out that it was EU manufactured goods that were primarily at risk given the vast imbalance in trade between us. If bottlenecks developed at UK ports, on account of all the empty lorries leaving the UK, we would announced that priority would be given to those which were actually loaded. We would publish how the UK would use the short term tariffs on EU imported goods to offset the increased costs on UK consumers and businesses, such as through reductions or new exemptions from VAT. We would have started a public information campaign to highlight UK manufacturing and encourage the public to make informed choices (such as, for example, drawing attention to which cars are assembled in the UK). And I think public opinion would have hardened against remaining in those circumstances.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

Yes there's something in that. Although food is cheaper in the US the quality is dismal compared to Europe. And as for healthcare......
    It's mindblowing going onto Reddit and reading "life pro tips" about how to avoid having an ambulance called for you if you have an accident so that you can avoid the cost.
  • Options
    Somehow I can't quite imagine Theresa "going batshit" at anyone...
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

The basic rundown of that is they care more about playing politics than they do getting a second referendum, which is why supporters of a second referendum don't support their actions.

TIG is the Chuka vanity project.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Are we in a "democracy"? Very old Greek word. Means lots of things to lots of people, depending on whether it supports their argument. I think we are a constitutional monarchy with a number of democratic institutions, an unwritten constitution and a decent appreciation for the rule of law. Not a democracy though. The clearest indication of that is that people seen terrified of having another referendum. If we were a "democracy" we would have already had one on the outcome of the negotiations! we certainly would not be walking blind into no-Deal Brexit for which there is no mandate, democratic or otherwise.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    and ?
    How did you expect them to vote?
    I didnt, votes are called at a point in time under law, The same rules applied to me. You get to vote when you have reached an age where youre deemed a respo0nsible adult.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @ royal Blue, I think that in general, public services are better here than in the US (although they vary a lot by State).

But, wages are higher and the cost of living lower, so people can afford better housing, more food, and better consumer goods.
  • Options

I voted to leave. I did not vote to ask the EU for permission to leave. Yet, it has been all along as if the UK electorate voted for the latter, the final straw being the vote to rule out the so called "no deal". The EU's decision to offer utterly punitive withdrawal terms amounts to their saying no to a request from the UK to ask for permission to leave. Their aim is to keep the UK in the EU, either as now or under May's BINO arrangement which would be even more advantageous to them than the current status quo.

With a resolute PM determined to leave, the exact opposite of what we have, the starting point for negotiations should have been for the UK to declare that it would be leaving, and that the EU could only choose whether to reach agreement with the UK on future trading arrangements before or after we left. We would make clear that we knew we could get better terms after leaving and that if the EU failed to negotiate seriously (which it signalled at the outset with the insistence on the backstop) we would walk away until after March 29th 2019. The UK would have declared that it did not accept that the EU would fail to negotiate after that date, and made it clear to all the world that the UK was perfectly prepared to wait because we knew we would get better terms after we were out. We would, because the question of whether or not the UK leaves would be off the table. We would publish draft tariff schedules that were as punitive as they could be to EU imports under the limitations of WTO terms, declaring that we hoped that they would last no more than a few weeks once the EU stance changed to a goal of negotiating a trade settlement in its interests, rather than of offering nothing to dissuade the UK from leaving. When the EU retailiated with plans for similar tariffs of their own, we would react with equinimity, pointing out that it was EU manufactured goods that were primarily at risk given the vast imbalance in trade between us. If bottlenecks developed at UK ports, on account of all the empty lorries leaving the UK, we would announced that priority would be given to those which were actually loaded. We would publish how the UK would use the short term tariffs on EU imported goods to offset the increased costs on UK consumers and businesses, such as through reductions or new exemptions from VAT. We would have started a public information campaign to highlight UK manufacturing and encourage the public to make informed choices (such as, for example, drawing attention to which cars are assembled in the UK). And I think public opinion would have hardened against remaining in those circumstances.

But Vote Leave repeatedly said No Deal wouldn’t happen.

They also said we’d know this.

https://twitter.com/fleetstreetfox/status/1105048571039150080?s=21
  • Options

The basic rundown of that is they care more about playing politics than they do getting a second referendum, which is why supporters of a second referendum don't support their actions.

TIG is the Chuka vanity project.
    As opposed to the current Labour Party which is a Jeremy Corbyn vanity project
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Are we in a "democracy"? Very old Greek word. Means lots of things to lots of people, depending on whether it supports their argument. I think we are a constitutional monarchy with a number of democratic institutions, an unwritten constitution and a decent appreciation for the rule of law. Not a democracy though. The clearest indication of that is that people seen terrified of having another referendum. If we were a "democracy" we would have already had one on the outcome of the negotiations! we certainly would not be walking blind into no-Deal Brexit for which there is no mandate, democratic or otherwise.
    The Greeks would have called our constitution a disguised oligarchy. Democratic decisions were taken by votes in assemblies, and citizens could call as many votes as they wanted on the same subject. But, they did exclude women, slaves, and non-citizens.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Tl;dr?

Leaver shocked at entirely predictable events following Leave vote.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

The Greeks would have called our constitution a disguised oligarchy. Democratic decisions were taken by votes in assemblies, and citizens could call as many votes as they wanted on the same subject. But, they did exclude women, slaves, and non-citizens.
    That would mean Theresa May couldn't participate..........
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, agreed Mr. F. Our system continues to offer enough democracy to people to make them continue to believe they are part of a genuine democracy. Still, much preferred to many other systems, particularly when one considers Nigel Farage's mate in Russia, or Mr. Thicky's chum in Venezuela
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Athenian democracy was actually closer, in terms of democratic immediacy, to the kind of anarchist ideas of continual participatory decision-making that would give many conservatives a fright.
  • Options
    I see the evenings Parliamentary cabaret is up and running. :D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Nice damaging result for the second referendum, I'm sure the people votes lot are delighted with the Tiggers.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It would be funny if it weren't so serious.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Nice damaging result for the second referendum, I'm sure the people votes lot are delighted with the Tiggers.
    They might have something to say about Labour abstentions too.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Kier quoted a spokesperson when clarifying Labour's position, as they want a second referendum more than they want Chuka to be king of the universe they knew that now wasn't the time to go...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes Labour is going to suffer the most from this.
  • Options

Athenian democracy was actually closer, in terms of democratic immediacy, to the kind of anarchist ideas of continual participatory decision-making that would give many conservatives a fright.

The ERG would probably feel they were more aligned to the less democratic and favoured model of many right wingers, the Spartans with Rees-Mogg fancying himself as a puny version of Leonidis dying a heroic death in Thermopylae against the hoards of Remainers, Europeans and mercenary immigrants from Persia
  • Options
    Like I say - that image is going to be plastered across every single Focus leaflet in the land at the next General Election.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Of course the big secret the elite won't acknowledge is that the working class generally want out, are aware they get screwed whoever rules and in a deal, a no deal or remain and couldn't give a shit about what benefits business and the middle classes and their 3 holidays a year.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Why would they vote for it? Labour do not believe in a second referendum.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Indeed. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mytilenian_Debate for a vote to commit genocide, followed by a vote the other way on exactly the same subject the following day. It was like being governed by Sun headline writers. Athens was not the wonder it was cracked up to be; look what it did to Socrates.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Oh, and the People's Vote lot saying that they couldn't back a people's vote?

Brilliant.
  • Options

Like I say - that image is going to be plastered across every single Focus leaflet in the land at the next General Election.
    They are a f***ing disgrace. Corbyn is the biggest liar in the history of lying toe-rag lefties
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited March 2019
    Optics of today - Corbyn is a lying POS. End of.
    That's what they'll be saying down at t'boozer tonight
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Scott_P said:
    Didn't they put out a statement earlier encouraging abstentions?
  • Options
    Either Stephen Bush reads PB or great minds think alike...

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1106241566832844802
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

We can't have this every evening, I'm running low on snacks.
  • Options

That is an awful look for the peoples vote. Surely labour are going to get hammered by the remainers over this
  • Options

It is nonsense to claim that the Leave campaign was based on the condition that the UK would only leave once an agreement was in place, and that if that could not happen then we would stay in the EU indefinitely. Was the Leave campaign really saying that the UK should fail to serve A50 in perpetuity if the EU failed to come to the negotiating table in good faith? Do you really believe that?

I read that paragraph as being conditional on the assumption that the EU would act in good faith. When it turned out very quickly that the EU were instead behaving as utter b******s, due to an early correct appreciation that their negotiating opponent was a weak jellyfish, their main negotiating goal being to bring the UK to a position when it changed its mind by offering nothing, then it was implicit that Plan B would need to kick in and A50 would have to be served.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Somehow I can't quite imagine Theresa "going batshit" at anyone...
    Most PMs don't ever need to go "batshit".

They just replace the offending Cabinet members. Otherwise, you no longer have collective responsibility of Cabinet. Anyone who can't accept that should be invited to walk out.
  • Options
    334 - 85 crushing defeat for the peoples vote

Oh dear
  • Options
    85 only for the Wollaston amendment.
  • Options
    Wollaston amendment defeated 334 v 85
  • Options

It is nonsense to claim that the Leave campaign was based on the condition that the UK would only leave once an agreement was in place, and that if that could not happen then we would stay in the EU indefinitely. Was the Leave campaign really saying that the UK should fail to serve A50 in perpetuity if the EU failed to come to the negotiating table in good faith? Do you really believe that?

I read that paragraph as being conditional on the assumption that the EU would act in good faith. When it turned out very quickly that the EU were instead behaving as utter b******s, due to an early correct appreciation that their negotiating opponent was a weak jellyfish, their main negotiating goal being to bring the UK to a position when it changed its mind by offering nothing, then it was implicit that Plan B would need to kick in and A50 would have to be served.
    THERE IS NO MANDATE FOR NO DEAL
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Ayes: 85
    Noes: 334

Few votes for the People's Vote.....
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Popcorn manufacturer shares anyone?
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Of course the big secret the elite won't acknowledge is that the working class generally want out, are aware they get screwed whoever rules and in a deal, a no deal or remain and couldn't give a shit about what benefits business and the middle classes and their 3 holidays a year.

Hilariously so. “But what about Tarquin’s Erasmus overseas study in Berlin?”
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Labour should be grateful the Noes were as many as 334.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

Wollaston amendment defeated 334 v 85

So an absolute majority against a referendum, even if every abstainer had voted "Yes".

I wonder if this will FINALLY stop this delusion that Corbyn could trigger a second referendum if only he snapped his fingers.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133

I voted to leave.

You voted to leave. So f*cking what? What you DON'T get, as a leave voter, is some God given right to dictate the manner of the departure to everyone, remainer, leaver, abstainer or ineligible. The idea that May as a "Remainer" (debatable in itself) is unqualified to negotiate exit for that reason is symptomatic of the desire of leave voters (a status it is impossible to verify) to disenfranchise the remain electorate as to the manner of departure. May is as capable and more, given the party she leads got the most votes in the 2017 election, entitled to manage the departure them anyone else. More so than most prominent leavers who ran when their utopia didn't emerge. Lord knows I will never vote Tory but at least she has tried to leave in a manner that will not entrench bitterness in an already deeply divided country.

The fact that your side treated the 2016 result as a Holy Writ to impose on the whole country your version of what it should mean, whatever the consequences, has provoked a backlash and is why your side is losing the peace. Given your side showed, and are showing, no magnanimity in victory, you cannot expect graciousness in defeat. You won but that was not enough. You want to rub the losing side's noses in it. Such attitudes rarely end well.

The backstop is there because we, 70 years ago, imposed a border where a border had never been before, cutting across long established communities in the North West of Ireland, esp. in the border counties, which has created instability in that part of the EU. The EU, via Ireland, don't trust our assurances not to reimpose a "hard border". Why should they given our history towards Ireland and attitudes like yours that suggest that the issue is not "serious"? This is serious to them. The fact you say the Irish border issue is "Not serious" shows a total lack of understanding at the depth of feeling in the matter in the EU state to our west.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    PARLIAMENTARY SOVEREIGNTY
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nothing stopping Dr Wollaston from having a "People's Vote" in her own constituency if she wants one...
  • Options
    edited March 2019

334 - 85 crushing defeat for the peoples vote

Oh dear

Good, I'd quite like a second referendum but if those who want one prioritise damaging Labour above having one then I'd rather we just got on with a soft brexit.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Ayes: 85
    Noes: 334

Few votes for the People's Vote.....

Interesting. Implies that without Labour abstentions it'd be pretty close
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Popcorn manufacturer shares anyone?
    I'd pile into Cadbury and cashew nut distributors.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Tl;dr?

Leaver shocked at entirely predictable events following Leave vote.
    I am not shocked at the actions of the EU elite. I am not even shocked that a Remain supporting PM let them get away with it. I am just angry that she did.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Be interesting to see how much they can retrieve:

https://twitter.com/BEA_Aero/status/1106221599735332864

That looks pretty good. The memory module (the large cylindrical bit in the middle) appears to have survived intact.
This discussion has been closed.