Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Farage’s “mass” march heads South the ex-UKIP leader has br

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Farage’s “mass” march heads South the ex-UKIP leader has branding problems if there are Euro elections

Given the Commons votes over the past week then there must be a chance that the UK will participate in the European Parliament elections at the end of May.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    I hope the question does not arise. If we long delay just roll over our meps or something.
  • Hurrah for Victor D'Hondt.

Boos for the England rugby team, they are bigger bell ends than Farage but without the casual bigotry.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    What was the phrase from earlier in the day ?
    True Git.
  • Rugby chat is banned on PB.

I'm swearing a paratrooper with Tourette's.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Anyone on the Swansea-Scotland double, or backed Scotland in play today ?
  • kle4 said:

I hope the question does not arise. If we long delay just roll over our meps or something.

The EU is a beacon of democracy, unlike us, they don't appoint Parliamentarians.
  • Poor David Sole, his team has just been eclipsed.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

kle4 said:

The EU is a beacon of democracy, unlike us, they don't appoint Parliamentarians.
    Interesting discussion between Jo Maugham and Martin Selmayr today:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1106943910105006081
    edited March 2019
    It's incredible how people can seem to have won and then just go completely to pieces and lose everything, becoming figures of mockery in the process.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kle4 said:

It's incredible how people can seem to have won and then just go completely to pieces and lose everything, becoming figures of mockery in the process.

LOL
  • Thank heavens for George Ford.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Dull game, rugby.....

kle4 said:

Our appointed parliamentarians are overwhelmingly pro EU though, even more than elected ones.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    England 38 Scotland 38 Great match and well played both sides
    UKIP will focus on anti immigration Leavers, Farage's new Brexit Party sovereignty Leavers
  • Shocking decision by Andre Marriner.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Thank heavens for George Ford.

It was a surprise to see an England fly-half doing something other than aimless kicks and shoulder barges.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    It should be pretty easy to distinguish between the parties, Batten UKIP will be the Islampophobic, xenophobic, suck up to the alt right outfit and the Farage Brexit Party will be the...oh, right.
    It's not just UKIP Farage has to contend with but also the SDP and For Britain.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Ireland lost the Rugby, but will win Brexit next week.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    edited March 2019
    Has Theresa landed the tasty prize fish of Rees-Mogg yet?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922

Dull game, rugby.....

Football should be played with the feet :lol:
    On topic, where are those 6-8% for UKIP going come the GE? Most seats wont have a candidate for ANY of these various "UKIP"-type parties.
  • Exactly the same proportion of voters believe there should be a second referendum on Brexit as think the UK should leave the EU without a deal, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer.

The survey shows the country split down the middle, with 43% supporting a delay to Brexit in order to hold a second public vote and 43% believing the UK should simply quit without any agreement with Brussels.

If a second referendum were held with the options of accepting Theresa May’s deal or remaining in the EU on the ballot paper, 46% said they would back remain, against 36% who would vote to leave on the terms of the prime minister’s proposal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/16/britain-split-over-prospect-of-second-brexit-referendum?CMP=share_btn_tw

Has Theresa landed the tasty prize fish of Rees-Mogg yet?

He's in the keep net......
    City very lucky theres no VAR.
  • May’s ratings on her handling of Brexit remain dire (-30%, when the proportion who disapprove of her handling of it – 56% – is subtracted from the proportion who approve – 26%).

But Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn fares even worse with a net rating of -46 (62% disapprove, against 16% who approve).

The poll shows that if the UK is still a member of the EU on 23 May, more British people would find voting in the European elections unacceptable (43%) than would be relaxed about the idea (38%). If the UK were to elect a new batch of MEPs, 13% say they would not vote, 19% would vote for Labour, 19% for the Tories and 11% for Ukip.

A fortnight ago May held a 15-point lead over Corbyn when voters were asked who would make the best prime minister. This has fallen slightly and is now an 11-point lead.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Dull game, rugby.....

Football should be played with the feet :lol:
    That's a philosophy rather than a heresy if you don't suggest a spherical ball.

Exactly the same proportion of voters believe there should be a second referendum on Brexit as think the UK should leave the EU without a deal, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer.

The survey shows the country split down the middle, with 43% supporting a delay to Brexit in order to hold a second public vote and 43% believing the UK should simply quit without any agreement with Brussels.

If a second referendum were held with the options of accepting Theresa May’s deal or remaining in the EU on the ballot paper, 46% said they would back remain, against 36% who would vote to leave on the terms of the prime minister’s proposal.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/16/britain-split-over-prospect-of-second-brexit-referendum?CMP=share_btn_tw

So some want no deal and some a referendum. Upset both and given them the deal instead I say.

Another 56/44 poll following Kantar's.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Whoever had his ticket would be a very happy man.

Exactly the same proportion of voters believe there should be a second referendum on Brexit as think the UK should leave the EU without a deal, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer.

So as No Deal and Remain cancel each other out both having equal levels of support and Remain also fails to get over 50% against May's Deal, some sort of Single Market and/or Customs Union soft Brexit is the least unpopular option if May's Deal fails again
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    I didn't think TSE was being sarcastic. But even if he was, it is literally true. The EU doesn't appoint people to Parliament and we have a whole house full of them.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If the UK does have EU elections then Remainers need to get off their arses and vote , do everything possible to stop Farage and the rest of the hate mob from declaring victory . Because until the WAIB actually goes through it’s not a done deal .

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    My guess is the Conservatives will be pretty happy with a lead of 38/34.
    nico67 said:

If the UK does have EU elections then Remainers need to get off their arses and vote , do everything possible to stop Farage and the rest of the hate mob from declaring victory . Because until the WAIB actually goes through it’s not a done deal .

Are you marching next Saturday?

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    I didn't think TSE was being sarcastic. But even if he was, it is literally true. The EU doesn't appoint people to Parliament and we have a whole house full of them.
    Hmmm. I think that is a very arguable position, TBH. (I would add not quite all of the Lords is appointed.)
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    HYUFD said:

So as No Deal and Remain cancel each other out both having equal levels of support and Remain also fails to get over 50% against May's Deal, some sort of Single Market and/or Customs Union soft Brexit is the least unpopular option if May's Deal fails again
    Back to my Norway option. If people had only listened to me on 26th June 2016 we could have avoided all this hassle.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    Hmmm. I think that is a very arguable position, TBH. (I would add not quite all of the Lords is appointed.)
    Only the hereditaries are elected, by themselves.

Another 56/44 poll following Kantar's.
    Only if you ignore those who want No Deal.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    And in the European Parliament, who isn't appointed by means of the infamous party list system?

nico67 said:

Absolutely no way the UK can just cancel Brexit and pretend it never happened .

It has to go to a second vote . As a Remainer I couldn’t support anything that didn’t involve the public having the final say .

That would cause terrible damage to the country , a second vote is the only way .

Why should anyone pay attention to a second referendum when the first was ignored ?

Or do referenda only count when they produce the answer the establishment wants ?
    To which the answer would be that Brexit is turning out to be way more damaging than anyone expected and simply has to be cancelled. That's why it should be revoked. No need for a new vote.
    People cannot simultaneously dismiss any good or ok news because we haven't left yet and also claim the damage from Brexit has been so bad it must be cancelled. And yes, it means people cannot claim good news as being despite Brexit then dismiss bad news because Brexit hasn't happened yet.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    People who are placed on top of party lists are elected, but by a narrow electorate of party members, rather than the electorate as a whole.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

HYUFD said:

Back to my Norway option. If people had only listened to me on 26th June 2016 we could have avoided all this hassle.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/richard-tyndall-on-the-exit-strategy/
    We would though have finished up with the Norway option. Not everyone's convinced. (Even now)
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Rugby chat is banned on PB.

I'm swearing a paratrooper with Tourette's.

Jammy Gits

nico67 said:

Are you marching next Saturday?
    I would if I was in the UK . I’d love to go but am in France at the moment.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I love the dry sarcasm.
    And in the European Parliament, who isn't appointed by means of the infamous party list system?
    Moreover the EU Parliament has very little in the way of law making powers. That is all left to the Commission who are... appointed.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Sean_F said:

Given the current political context it is quite astonishing that they're above 30%.
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

It has to go to a second vote . As a Remainer I couldn’t support anything that didn’t involve the public having the final say .

That would cause terrible damage to the country , a second vote is the only way .

Why should anyone pay attention to a second referendum when the first was ignored ?

Or do referenda only count when they produce the answer the establishment wants ?
    To which the answer would be that Brexit is turning out to be way more damaging than anyone expected and simply has to be cancelled. That's why it should be revoked. No need for a new vote.
    People cannot simultaneously dismiss any good or ok news because we haven't left yet and also claim the damage from Brexit has been so bad it must be cancelled. And yes, it means people cannot claim good news as being despite Brexit then dismiss bad news because Brexit hasn't happened yet.

It's also disingenuous to cause political deadlock, and then cite political deadlock as the reason to cancel a policy you don't want.
    edited March 2019
    Surely that is going to fall foul of some laws somewhere along the road.

HYUFD said:

The fact you don’t mention the customs union or the Irish border shows how naive this idea was.
    Please Poland, take a leaf out of Australia's book and ban him from entering.
  • Surely that is going to fall foul of some laws somewhere along the road.
    I think Poland has some Holocaust Denial laws but the rule of law is under threat there.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    !

'This is where Jews worked a bit too hard, caught some unpleaant illnesses and weren't murdered by Nazis.'

HYUFD said:

The fact you don’t mention the customs union or the Irish border shows how naive this idea was.
    Nope. The customs union was and is a truly stupid idea. The Irish border would not have been a problem if we had dealt with everything else by choosing the EFTA route. The EU would have been more than happy with the eventual destination (as opposed to having no idea what we want at present) and both sides would have worked for a practical solution to reach a mutual goal rather than having separate goals and using the border as an excuse. .
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    Scotland retain the Calcutta Cup, after giving England a 30 point start.

!

'This is where Jews worked a bit too hard, caught some unpleaant illnesses and weren't murdered by Nazis.'
    'And look, if they worked hard enough they were set free. It says so in big letters on a sign over the gate.'

One thing that has always mystified me is that Irving wasn't prosecuted for perjury following his repeated falsification of material at his libel action. We could have locked him up for five years. The judge had him stone cold. But we didn't. Why not?
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

But the fact is that Brexit is damaging Britain very significantly. I am seeing it with my own eyes. We need to stop it.
    edited March 2019

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

But the fact is that Brexit is damaging Britain very significantly. I am seeing it with my own eyes. We need to stop it.
    Thats fine. I too think remain is now our best option. I hope you are not one who dismisses any good or decent news on the basis Brexit has not happened yet then. Some want it both ways, on remain and leave sides, and they are unreasonable.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Sanders, Biden, Harris all neck and neck at 5.1 on BF.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

Thats fine. I too think remain is now our best option. I hope you are not one who dismisses any good or decent news on the basis Brexit has not happened yet then. Some want it both ways, on remain and leave sides, and they are unreasonable.
    I don't play the statistics game. It might be a cliché, but you can prove anything with statistics.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited March 2019
    Says something when Gove is one of the better candidates. Gove of all people.

!

He's not the only one. Neo-Nazis frequently organise such tours "to show people the fakes."
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Lay the Ludicrous Cox as next PM/Con leader

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1106999275282665474

Cox on blocks.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

Sanders, Biden, Harris all neck and neck at 5.1 on BF.

We talked about that on the last thread - Alastair suggests laying all four favourites. I’m not quite so sure.

Sean_F said:

!

He's not the only one. Neo-Nazis frequently organise such tours "to show people the fakes."
    Perhaps we can take them all to the moon to show them the fake moon landing site. No spacesuits provided.
    Somebody must be worried by him as the competiton, if they are digging for the dirt.....
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043

Somebody must be worried by him as the competiton, if they are digging for the dirt.....
    Hmm. In the Telegraph? I wonder who the dirt digger could possibly be?
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    b) most ERG-ers come back on board, the DUP get bought off - but Labour kill Brexit?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Absolutely gutted.

Bullshit call against Brown to give England the position to score.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

It’s going to happen, but in a way that very few actually want. That was always going to be the case, of course, after Mrs May drew her red lines. The only consolation I take from it all is the forthcoming humiliation of the ERG and the DUP voting to give the Republic of Ireland precisely what it wants. Reality is catching up fast with our Buccaneers - and this is only the start.

Presence of dirt matters whatever the motivation in revealing it.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    I cannot see us taking part in the euro elections. I think we're leaving and will have done so by the time of the Epsom Derby. If I'm right this means that for the first time in almost half a century the Derby will be run OUTSIDE the European Union. The EU will have lost the Derby. I'm not sure what to think about that.
    kinabalu said:

I cannot see us taking part in the euro elections. I think we're leaving and will have done so by the time of the Epsom Derby. If I'm right this means that for the first time in almost half a century the Derby will be run OUTSIDE the European Union. The EU will have lost the Derby. I'm not sure what to think about that.

When is the Epsom Derby?
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    b) most ERG-ers come back on board, the DUP get bought off - but Labour kill Brexit?
    If MV3 gets through how would Labour kill brexit?

HYUFD said:

The Norway option is more palatable now because EU immigration to the UK has fallen since the Brexit vote, however as William Glenn points out it would still require a Customs Union at least for Northern Ireland to ensure the backstop until an alternative solution is found for the Irish border
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Looks like lovely weather for the march. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.
    edited March 2019
    Maybe May can fire Fox and get someone more amenable to delivering the right legal advice!

As an aside it’s great fun perusing the twitter feeds of the ERG hold outs , it’s quite pathetic and tragic really . It’s like the band playing on the Titanic .

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    If MV3 gets through how would Labour kill brexit?
    They are alternative options......
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

Always interesting to read those old threads.

This tweet turned out to be none too accurate:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/747183600286720000

Plus this comment:

' I said this before. All the talk in my bubble of London ABers (typically in consulting, FS, or advertising) is about delaying or abandoning investments, relocations, and potential opportunities abroad. I accept we represent a tiny fraction of the population, but we drive the economy. Any rebalancing away from a services-led, London-led economy is decades away. Or perhaps not now that we've decided to go full Pol Pot. '

Its noticeable how many Pbers of that time received the red card but what happened to Speedy ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    None of those are likely.
    nico67 said:

Maybe May can fire Fox and get someone more amenable to delivering the right legal advice!

As an aside it’s great fun perusing the twitter feeds of the ERG hold outs , it’s quite pathetic and tragic really . It’s like the band playing on the Titanic .

While I'm not disputing that firing Fox, preferably from Mr Dancer's space cannon, is an excellent idea, it's Cox that's giving the legal advice.
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    Indeed. Everyone knows MV4 is where it's at.
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    One of those is highly likely.

HYUFD said:

Always interesting to read those old threads.

This tweet turned out to be none too accurate:

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/747183600286720000

Plus this comment:

' I said this before. All the talk in my bubble of London ABers (typically in consulting, FS, or advertising) is about delaying or abandoning investments, relocations, and potential opportunities abroad. I accept we represent a tiny fraction of the population, but we drive the economy. Any rebalancing away from a services-led, London-led economy is decades away. Or perhaps not now that we've decided to go full Pol Pot. '

Its noticeable how many Pbers of that time received the red card but what happened to Speedy ?
    I don't think that tweet was too far off the mark. I am seeing a lot of stuff moving out of the UK. Just because it isn't making headlines don't think it isn't happening.
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    In 2069 we will be facing meaningful vote 200?
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    The revolutionary peoples committees will be running things on behalf of the politburo by then.
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    The revolutionary peoples committees will be running things on behalf of the politburo by then.
    Oh lor, cue the EUSSR jokes again.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

What will it be if
    a) MV3 gets through
    Oh lor, cue the EUSSR jokes again.
    Darn it, it was only supposed to be a comrade Corbyn joke.
This discussion has been closed.