Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger for TMay is that in wooing ERG hardliners she might

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The danger for TMay is that in wooing ERG hardliners she might be alienating LAB soft brexiteers and CON remainers

if Johnson or Raab is in charge of negotiations on future relationship with EU, which are more important some would say than the divorce talks, that relationship will be uber Brexity. So in wooing one important constituency to get her deal over the line, she has alienated…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Has Kate Hoey said anything yet?
  • Options
    Indeed.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I feel reasonably sure we're going to be talking about MV4 by the weekend.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I have just been making this very point on the earlier thread.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories have really fucked this up.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    TSE how's the football?

Is it getting SLIPPY for Liverpool yet? :lol:
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    Jonathan said:

The ERG Fanatics have really fucked this up.

Fixed it for you.

• Options
    AnotherEngineerAnotherEngineer Posts: 64
    edited March 2019
    Labour might be happy to see a Brexiteer as PM as they might think they have more chance in a GE. It would also make a GE more likely.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Arlene says NO!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited March 2019
    Anyone who would support the WA, or would like to support it, but will not because of this is being very insincere or very stupid. It's just as silly and unprincipled as someone being willing to agree it but only if May stands down.

It's not complicated at all, the question is whether the WA is the best option we have. Who takes over as Tory leader should not impact that question, and in any case won't be the key point in what happens next since the numbers in parliament have not changed.

So sorry, I can respect people who simply cannot bring themselves to vote for it, but I cannot respect people who claim they might or would but oh noes, the Tories might elect someone they don't like. It's bollocks.

The Lab soft brexiteers have been particularly shameless about this sort of thing, their actions say to me they have no intention of backing the deal at all, never have, but they are keen to make it look like they reluctantly enable something very soft or even a referendum.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Peston is awesome.

A proper journalist, and entertaining.

Does anyone even bother with the anodyne line-parrot Laura K?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    If May pulls this off, then it would be nothing short of a miracle of stubbornness.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    _Anazina_ said:

Peston is awesome.

I love Laura K
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    DUP still against, but using the words 'unable to support'. I still think that means votes against.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Arlene says NO!

So the Tory machinations have been pointless anyway. A shame. And since that means it won't pass that's yet another reason Lab soft brexiteers will find to say no to it still, and for Softer Tory brexiteers to abandon it too.
  • Options
    Arlene needs to be told to keep out of it or we:
    - cut the money off
    - equalise abortion and gay marriage laws in NI (which we should do in any case)
    - close Stormont permanently and have direct NI government from London
  • Options
    I'm not sure how the ERG have messed this up as many are saying. Yes they've lost but given Parliamentary numbers they were always going to (barring an accidental crash out).

They've won minor changes before MV2 and secured May's exit before MV3 and probably ensured the next leader, even if not one of them, will likely be a true leaver this time instead of May.

That's probably as much as they could have won from this.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Peston is awesome.

You did admit to being in the pub for hours though :smiley:
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    kle4 said:

Arlene says NO!

So the Tory machinations have been pointless anyway. A shame. And since that means it won't pass that's yet another reason Lab soft brexiteers will find to say no to it still, and for Softer Tory brexiteers to abandon it too.
    How utterly stupid and unprincipled does this make Boris look.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Arlene needs to be told to keep out of it or we:
    - cut the money off
    - equalise abortion and gay marriage laws in NI (which we should do in any case)
    - close Stormont permanently and have direct NI government from London

DUP might like the third one.
  • Options

Labour might be happy to see a Brexiteer as PM as they might think they have more chance in a GE. It would also make a GE more likely.

Definitely the latter. Indeed, any change from May probably means GE in late autumn or spring 2020.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    Totally on topic and in total agreement. What did they really think would happen from this announcement.

II really wanted the government to win MV3. I started to feel quite optimistic as Monday progressed that things were moving in the right direction. I think May’s slaughtered MV3 stone dead now with her announcement. ☹️.

Doubtful she will get every swivel eyed ERG vote, some would rather bulldoze parliament than vote for May’s sneaky version of a customs union. Doubtful she will get every Tory peoplevoter to support it. Could she really get all 10 DUP abstaining rather than voting against it? Very very doubtful now she will get the Labour votes she needs to pass MV3. Those Labour votes would effectively be putting whips into the hands of new PMs much harder brexit negotiation team with which to lash the Labour benches in the coming years.

With this most ultimate cave in to the hardliners Mays killed the WA stone dead. ☹️
  • Options
    NO SURRENDER says the DUP
  • Options

I'm not sure how the ERG have messed this up as many are saying. Yes they've lost but given Parliamentary numbers they were always going to (barring an accidental crash out).

They've won minor changes before MV2 and secured May's exit before MV3 and probably ensured the next leader, even if not one of them, will likely be a true leaver this time instead of May.

That's probably as much as they could have won from this.

The collateral damage to the Tories is very real and completely unnecessary if they are now backing the deal.
  • Options

May needs Labour rebels now.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Bet the Tories are wishing they'd just done a deal with Labour, somehow, rather than deal with the DUP.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140
    Scott_P said:
    Thus providing another data point supporting the "Zeno's DUP Dichotomy Paradox" theory.
  • Options
    Well, if you want to be pedantic she only threw herself under a bus if she got her deal through, which looks unlikely now, so she's still on the bus, albeit it seems to be heading for a cliff.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Does DUP statement say they will vote against MV3?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

She did even with the DUP. It just means she needs at least 10 more Lab rebels. Given she doesn't seem able to get even 10 to start with, getting that many on top of however many Tory holdouts there are would seem problematic. I don't think even if the DUP abstain, which I don't see how they could, it would help.

MV3 to go down by 40-50.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Bet the Tories are wishing they'd just done a deal with Labour, somehow, rather than deal with the DUP.
    Nah, they couldn't possibly have done a deal with terrorist-sympathisers. Oh...
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Drutt said:

DUP still against, but using the words 'unable to support'. I still think that means votes against.

Yup, not abstaining.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2019

Which, as we're probably about to find out soon, would require a Customs Union* as a bare minimum.

*an actual, concrete, negotiated-with-the-EU Customs Union, not a bit of waffle about how they'll "explore" one in that silly "political declaration
  • Options
    Seriously though, what exactly do the DUP think is going to happen now? Their instransigence on this issue, however principled it may or may not, is the one reason I can see some sort of justification for the Tories throwing the dice in a GE, since behing beholden to the DUP is a disaster for them.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    kle4 said:

She did even with the DUP. It just means she needs at least 10 more Lab rebels. Given she doesn't seem able to get even 10 to start with, getting that many on top of however many Tory holdouts there are would seem problematic. I don't think even if the DUP abstain, which I don't see how they could, it would help.

MV3 to go down by 40-50.
    5 more if they abstain
  • Options
    Rregrets it cannot support the WA my arse. The DUP give every impression of loving every minute of this, having the Tories begging to them day in day out.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    She's played a blinder and made an absolute fool of Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    Once again the Tories are obsessed with their deal. You’re a stuck record. Get the hint. Do something else. You must remember the concept that there’s more than one idea.
  • Options
    Given DUP announcement, it is lucky that HoC is about to show a settled will on a way forward, via some paper votes.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Amusing if it turns out Johnson has blinked; he has baulked; he has bottled it completely - all in vain.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Betting No on MV3 earlier turned out to be a good bet, except that now it may not happen at all
  • Options
    So the deal won't pass, which means May has not promised to resign, which means several Tory MPs now won't vote for MV3, which means we're back pretty much where we were after MV2, with about 15 or so more votes for the deal. Goody.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Peston is awesome.

I love Laura K
    Maybe so, but you need to separate the woman from her work!
  • Options
    Did this get discussed earlier?

https://twitter.com/DExEUgov/status/1110942385775755264

It seems totally outrageous to me. Who are DExEU to say what respects the Referendum?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

Ms Hoey is a fan of autarky, and believes the UK should be more economically self sufficient generally. Trade deals, with the EU or otherwise, are therefore to be avoided because they result in less economic self sufficiency.

It's not a view I have a great deal of sympathy with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So the deal won't pass, which means May has not promised to resign, which means several Tory MPs now won't vote for MV3, which means we're back pretty much where we were after MV2, with about 15 or so more votes for the deal. Goody.

And Bercow says it can't be put anyway.

Nothing has changed...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Regulations go to Division. Do we wait for the 9pm announcement?

Edit/ BBC saying after the division result at 9.15
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Has anybody told Brenda from Bristol?
  • Options
    We can get rid of DUP now. TIG won't vote against us in VONC so we have a majority
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Chortle. Brexit The Movie - screenplay rejected for being too far fetched etc etc.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I really don't see how that is much of a priority right now. That is something there will always be opportunity to do, but a Brexit deal that can pass the Commons is needed now. The WA is not it, and we're no closer to it than sevreral weeks ago.

Guess we're on to seeing what the Letwin cabal can come up with next. At least they are trying to find a way forward, even if it is a path toward remain.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Why on earth would they abstain?
  • Options
    God, it's been a busy ol' Brexit day, eh?
  • Options
    I'm starting to believe the DUP are secretly in favour of Irish reunification, and are playing a long game.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

kle4 said:

Arlene says NO!

In other news: Pope Catholic... :(
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    The DUP object to MV3 on a point of principle, unlike Boris
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    dr_spyn said:
    No, but they might see its end as they seek to 'defend' it. Good riddance to the DUP. They want their purity so much they can bloody well have it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Arlene says NO!

Fair point. But he does like to keep reminding us.

Did JRM formally flip too or has he kept his opitons open?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    dr_spyn said:
    No Deal it is then.....
  • Options

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Arlene says NO!

Pretty sure he was still dependent on the DUP at least abstaining. The DUP seem very keen to ensure that if anyone flips they are not going tobe able to use them as cover. People flip on their own or not at all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I really don't see how that is much of a priority right now. That is something there will always be opportunity to do, but a Brexit deal that can pass the Commons is needed now. The WA is not it, and we're no closer to it than sevreral weeks ago.

Guess we're on to seeing what the Letwin cabal can come up with next. At least they are trying to find a way forward, even if it is a path toward remain.
    You say "even if...", I say "and better still..." :lol:
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Watching Sky News with subtitles and the DUP keeps being captured as "The do you pee". Seems rather fitting.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:
    No Deal it is then.....
    Keep dreaming
  • Options

Less chance now more Labour-friendly leave options are in play
  • Options
    Alastair Campbell says perhaps the DUP don't want Brexit to happen... The penny is dropping.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

dr_spyn said:
    No Deal it is then.....
    No it is not. The DUP do not get to impose their will on the House and claim only they care about the Union. The Commons will decide on something, and now the DUP will get something they probably really don't like, and lose their influence over the Tories too, if we get a GE.

Now, they probably don't even care if we revoke, but frankly who cares what they want now. They refuse to compromise in any way in order to preserve their principles, fine, that's their prerogative. But given that unbending flexibility every other party would be quite reasonable to simply stop talking to the buggers completely. I bet they wouldn't like that, no doubt they would say it is an outrage, but it helps them preserve their principles if no one even speaks to them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Agreed.
    The internecine Tory warfare is of little interest, and no benefit to the nation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    rcs1000 said:

Ms Hoey is a fan of autarky, and believes the UK should be more economically self sufficient generally. Trade deals, with the EU or otherwise, are therefore to be avoided because they result in less economic self sufficiency.

"He went outside the village and has purchased unlocal things! Burn the unbeliever!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

Arlene says NO!

Pretty sure he was still dependent on the DUP at least abstaining. The DUP seem very keen to ensure that if anyone flips they are not going tobe able to use them as cover. People flip on their own or not at all.
    Flippin' hell!

Thanks
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

dr_spyn said:
    No Deal it is then.....
    Keep dreaming
    ....with the DUP!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Pulpstar said:

Boris is such a monumental blob of narcissistic, corrupted and revolting humanity that he is not fit to clean my dog's anus with his tongue....he is the one who is singularly waiting for a special place in hell. Compared to him Chris Chope is a veritable fine fella.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106
    kle4 said:

Seriously though, what exactly do the DUP think is going to happen now? Their instransigence on this issue, however principled it may or may not, is the one reason I can see some sort of justification for the Tories throwing the dice in a GE, since behing beholden to the DUP is a disaster for them.

I guess they expect that the deal, which they don't like, won't pass, which is what they want. The way that Tories get so affronted at the DUP pursuing their own interests rather than helping the Tories out of the hole they have dug for themselves is almost as funny as the idea that it's the duty of Labour MPs from Northern constituencies that have been eviscerated by years of austerity to save the government. The Tories have packed their benches with loons like Steve Baker and Mark Francois, then threw away their majority, and then refused to move their own partisan red lines in pursuit of a cross-party compromise approach to Brexit. They don't deserve help from anyone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Less chance now more Labour-friendly leave options are in play
    Well exactly. MV2 was the moment for Lab rebels, and they decided to wait and see what else came up instead.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    BBC1 has put a news special on Friday evening at 9.30pm - I assume they are expecting the MV3 vote then... not sure that is as likely to happen now
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It’s fun watching all the hardliners ruin their credibility for naught.

Dominic Raab had the wit to keep his mouth shut, didn’t he? Might he be well-placed as a result to be the Platonic ideal ERG candidate? The rest seem to have shot their bolt now.
  • Options
    May needs to go now. She offers nothing.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    No Deal it is then.....
    Not it is not. The DUP do not get to impose their will on the House and claim only they care about the Union. The Commons will decide on something, and now the DUP will get something they probably really don't like, and lose their influence over the Tories too, if we get a GE.
    DUP and Tory interests don't align.. The DUP if it has any sense will go for a Customs Union option that removes the Irish backstop.
  • Options

Why on earth would they abstain?
    Am I the only one on here to think this Hodges bloke is a bit Haig's Dimple?
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

BBC1 has put a news special on Friday evening at 9.30pm - I assume they are expecting the MV3 vote then... not sure that is as likely to happen now

That's been pencilled in for weeks because of it being the original Brexit Day. It'll probably end up being replaced with something else.
  • Options

Have they cancelled their Leaving the EU 11:00pm special? Traitors!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    rcs1000 said:

And I though it was only the ERG who were insane.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

May needs to go now. She offers nothing.

She doesn't need to go now, the Letwin cabal are running Brexit instead.

Well it won't pass, but surely it is incumbent on them to at least try? The EU have May one last shot to pass the deal they agreed, may as well give it one last shot.

What I don't get is why the DUP saying no would be any surprise at all to anyone - have they given any indication at all that they were considering switching to the deal?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611
    Pulpstar said:

Not open to bribery. Not surprised.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

So has the last gambit failed as well? While some of her own party have folded faster than a bad gambler with a very bad hand the DUP and a few diehards remain and that looks enough as it stands to stop MV3 even if Bercow allows it.

Essentially, that's it. The only options are for May to seek a long extension (is that politically possible now?) or for the clock to run down to 12/4 and we leave without a WA.

To be honest, Parliament can rise on the 6th and we can spend the next week making any last-minute preparations for the brave new world which will await us on 13/4.
  • Options
    May has spent every last cent of political capital and exhausted her power buying votes for a deal nobody wants. One day she will wake up and realise what she has done.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    So sad to read of plans to get round Bercow for MV3, such a waste of effort and thought. He might as well just let it take place so it can be put out of its misery.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Drutt said:

That phrasing allows room for abstention
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

May has spent every last cent of political capital and exhausted her power buying votes for a deal nobody wants. One day she will wake up and realise what she has done.

When all this is over, people will talk about May as one of the greatest PMs of all time.
This discussion has been closed.