Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s time we moved back to MPs choosing the party leader inste

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s time we moved back to MPs choosing the party leader instead not members

Consider where British politics is quite likely to be in a few months time – LAB still being led by Corbyn who is opposed by most of his MPs and Johnson being the CON leader in spite of his relative lack of parliamentary support

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    First - ever !

Britain sorely misses Ed Miliband, I would say - a reasonable balance of MP's and grassroots support, and a reasonable balance of idealism and pragmatism as a person.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    Third like Boris
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Theresa May was not elected by the membership and where are we now?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    That's fine if, and only if, party members, or the public, have more control over the choice of MP - otherwise a self-perpetuating party elite can wield too much power by controlling the selection of MPs.

If you have open primaries, or a less backward voting system that cash achieve the same thing, then it makes sense for the MPs to then select their leader.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The key should be the members rather than the activists. The Liberals and LibDems have been trusting their members for decades. As someone observed recently, each of their leadership contests comes down to replaying Steel versus Pardoe. The activists always want Pardoe but the armchair members always elect Steel. And so it has been down the ages. The activists would have elected Huhne over Clegg.

The problem the Tories and Labour both have is that their 'armchair' members are now just as radicalised as their activists.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

First - ever !

Britain sorely misses Ed Miliband, I would say - a reasonable balance of MP's and grassroots support, and a reasonable balance of idealism and pragmatism as a person.

Well done!

Indeed. Could we treat politics like rugby and offer NZ's PM a larger 'opportunity'?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

First - ever !

Here's hoping his time comes again (ideally after Corbyn).
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    The problem in Britain is that you have FPTP, which restricts your choice of government to two parties, so it's a problem if they're taken over by a clique of MPs. Ideally Britain should fix the voting system then the parties should let MPs choose stuff, but failing that the other approach is to go big and have big, open primaries, so they don't get taken over by a minority of maniacs.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Andrew said:
    My dog does not approve. Though might be the fact that it awoke her from a nap.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited March 2019
    Francois has apparently stated he'd prefer to put a gun to his head than vote the WA through. Once again he pulls ahead in the Grand National 40 head nut loon hurdles.
  • Options

The problem in Britain is that you have FPTP, which restricts your choice of government to two parties, so it's a problem if they're taken over by a clique of MPs. Ideally Britain should fix the voting system then the parties should let MPs choose stuff, but failing that the other approach is to go big and have big, open primaries, so they don't get taken over by a minority of maniacs.

Like that worked well in the US!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Is it really likely to be flip flopper Boris ? The Tories should go for a true believer. Like err Steve Baker.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Maybe we need better party memberships? I know this came up briefly on the last thread, but I'm expecting 1000+ Conservative activists to lose their Council seats in 5 weeks. I wonder if that might focus some minds within the Tory party. Of course I fear that everyone involved will say "This just proves the Government needs to do exactly what I want on Brexit and wouldn't have happened if they had."
  • Options

lol. Experience suggests that ideas that seek to unpick the cosy two-party stitch-up that is British politics don't get much of a hearing.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    tlg86 said:

First - ever !

Here's hoping his time comes again (ideally after Corbyn).
    Yes. I give thanks every day we wisely swerved "chaos" under him.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    tpfkar said:

Maybe we need better party memberships? I know this came up briefly on the last thread, but I'm expecting 1000+ Conservative activists to lose their Council seats in 5 weeks. I wonder if that might focus some minds within the Tory party. Of course I fear that everyone involved will say "This just proves the Government needs to do exactly what I want on Brexit and wouldn't have happened if they had."

I can tell you what will happen now (Labour has already written the script for you)

- the right-wing will claim the losses indicate anger that the hard Brexit people expect hasn't been delivered
    - the moderates will claim that the ERG sabotage of Brexit and the ensuing chaos and disunity is responsible. Some might even wonder whether tying the party to Brexit was such a bright idea.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488

Britain sorely misses Ed Miliband, I would say - a reasonable balance of MP's and grassroots support

Unfortunately, this shrewd sarcasm may well go to waste. Even on a board for political junkies, not everybody will remember that in 2010 Ed Miliband lost both among MPs and Labour party members, and relied on the unions to pull him through. As, indeed, the thread header seems to confirm.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes. The power of self-government, the right to hire and fire our rulers and the capacity to chart our own destiny are inalienable birthrights. They should not be traded in for a mess of pottage otherwise known as a back row seat at a show called "The Heart of Europe". Our destiny is surely as a self-governing nation which trades freely with the world. The future is bright; the future is global. Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, our businesses and our workforce.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    edited March 2019
    tpfkar said:

I get that voters detest the Tories for their Azerbaijani toilet of a Brexit, but who will electors vote FOR? Labour are equally divided, and their leader is even more detested than TMay.

Should we expect a surge to the Greens, LDs, Nats? Will Mebyon Kernow break out of Cornwall and take over Devon and Somerset?

Serious question. Cui bono?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    edited March 2019

The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes. The power of self-government, the right to hire and fire our rulers and the capacity to chart our own destiny are inalienable birthrights. They should not be traded in for a mess of pottage otherwise known as a back row seat at a show called "The Heart of Europe". Our destiny is surely as a self-governing nation which trades freely with the world. The future is bright; the future is global. Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, our businesses and our workforce.

"The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes."

Tell that to the Welsh ...

"Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, "

In which case Brexit shows us on the way to be an absolute failure. Our leaders have fuck-all real vision (only unicorns), too much supremely arrogant self-confidence and zero calibre.
  • Options

Your last sentence is true.
    Sadly.
  • Options

I applaud your noble sentiments, but I am afraid we did consent, albeit tacitly, by continuously electing lying europhiles as leaders, who promised us referendums, but then denied them - and all the time they kept quietly handing over sovereignty to the EU, until we'd handed over so much it became practically impossible to leave (as we see).

We were defrauded of that birthright, by a generation of genial traitors, from Heath to Clarke, from Heseltine and Major to Blair, Cameron, and Clegg.

For shame. But there it is.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,227
    @RobinWiggs fpt

There is way too much hyperbole about unintended destinations and chaotic consequences.

I think the PM's deal and red lines were exactly what I was expecting when I voted. We were told clearly and repeatedly by both sides during the campaign that:

a) This was a once in a generation decision that would be implemented (ie no best of three votes).
    b) A vote to Leave meant leaving:

The political institutions
    The Single Market
    The Customs Union

The current chaos has nothing to do with the proposed Brexit not being what people voted for.

The current procedural chaos is due to:

a) people choosing willfully to forget how clear the Leave prospectus was in terms of what we would leave and seeking to engineer a completely different outcome.

b) The mistake of including the backstop - although another fallback in the event of no FTA that keeps open borders but with WTO rules is hard to conceive.

c) narrow party political posturing and ERGonaut fundamentalism

I am a pretty moderate one-nation Conservative. I'm not a headbanger. We just need to get on with what was indicated during the campaign.

"After we vote to leave, we will expand the number of damaging Single Market rules that we no longer impose and we will behave like the vast majority of countries around the world, trading with the EU but, crucially, without accepting the supremacy of EU law."

Is all I could find on the Vote Leave website; their actual manifesto seems to have gone missing. But in any case, the question was in/out. It wasn't "should we implement the XXX manifesto".
  • Options
    Milliband was probably a leadership election too early. He has matured massively since he stepped down. But yes, think about the chaos we would have seen under his premiership as opposed to the calm serenity granted to us by the Tories.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,088
    I quite like the Tory system. MPs put 2 to the members. Good balance.

I reserve the right to change my mind and call it the most ludicrous system possible if it gifts us Boris Johnson.

A world with him in Number 10 and Trump in the White House is ... no, sorry, I do not have the language to do it justice. Maybe some other time.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

I get that voters detest the Tories for their Azerbaijani toilet of a Brexit, but who will electors vote FOR? Labour are equally divided, and their leader is even more detested than TMay.

Should we expect a surge to the Greens, LDs, Nats? Will Mebyon Kernow break out of Cornwall and take over Devon and Somerset?

There are no local elections in Scotland and Wales - just in most of England (outside London) in shire districts, met districts and shire unitaries. No elections in Cornwall though - so the Cornish nationalists will have to wait for another day. Northern Ireland also has local elections for its 11 district councils.

The places with elections are in blue
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_United_Kingdom_local_elections#/media/File:United_Kingdom_local_elections_2019_map.svg
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    How is Boris even in the running to be leader....it's a total mystery to me.
  • Options

Always sovereign.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

Greens can sometimes build up a head of steam in pockets so maybe a few gains but they very quickly lose what they gain - for example their disintegration in Norwich after a big presence now dwindling
    LDs will gain and claim the second coming of Lib Demnery. I do think labour will gain though, default opposition and its handling them the keys to the toilets on the seafront not number 10 so its 'safe'
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Always sovereign.
    Yes, Britain was always sovereign, the way a prisoner in a jail is always free as the window of his locked cell is wide, open and unbarred - trouble is he's on the 9th floor, so if he jumps to his "freedom"...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

"The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes." There's some people in Wales, not to mention a number in N Ireland and Scotland, who might want to have a word with you about that. But anyway, enough about the monarchy and the House of Lords.

Our success is indeed dependent on the calibre of our leaders, businesses and workforce, but it's also dependent on membership of the European Union. The future, as Brexiteers have presented it to us, is by no means global. As we have been firmly told, to be a citizen of the world is to be a citizen of no-where.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Always sovereign.
    Yes, Britain was always sovereign, the way a prisoner in a jail is always free as the window of his locked cell is wide, open and unbarred - trouble is he's on the 9th floor, so if he jumps to his "freedom"...
    A touch dramatic. But we also were the ones who pressed the 9th floor button in the lift when we got in.
  • Options

Milliband was probably a leadership election too early. He has matured massively since he stepped down. But yes, think about the chaos we would have seen under his premiership as opposed to the calm serenity granted to us by the Tories.

Hes a man enjoying life and having fun with it. It's very refreshing
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Off topic: I may actually cry at this.

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8721508/inter-ac-milan-san-siro-new-stadium/amp/

Concrete it may be, but the San Siro is one of the most unconscionability beautiful structures in the world imho.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

I reckon good candidates of all parties will do ok - it's the donkey with a blue/red rosette territory that could change, as voters decide they've had enough of donkeys.

But that relies on decent candidates across the board. I reckon there may be Independent gains as a backlash against the establishment, even if you've no idea what they stand for, "Independent" just feels that bit cleaner than party politics right now.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

I reckon good candidates of all parties will do ok - it's the donkey with a blue/red rosette territory that could change, as voters decide they've had enough of donkeys.

But that relies on decent candidates across the board. I reckon there may be Independent gains as a backlash against the establishment, even if you've no idea what they stand for, "Independent" just feels that bit cleaner than party politics right now.
    The ubiquitous and various ratepayers alliance might get the Tory vote too
  • Options

I don't think he is. Too many MPs detest him, he's loathed by all Remainers, he's shot his bolt. I'm not even convinced that Tory activists and members are THAT keen, any more.

Gove, Raab, Javid or maybe someone out of nowhere, like Thatcher.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8721508/inter-ac-milan-san-siro-new-stadium/amp/

Concrete it may be, but the San Siro is one of the most unconscionability beautiful structures in the world imho.

Have you been?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited March 2019
    tpfkar said:

To the ordinary moderate average person membership of a political party is unthinkable. The big question is why this should be and what the solution might be. Most people would not want to be in the same room of any group of party activists, of any persuasion. I'm not sure it is possible to blame them for feeling that way.

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I've never seen it in real life but it looks utterly hideous. What am I missing?!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    tpfkar said:

SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

Yes independents will do well particularly if there's a local issue to grouse about e.g. housing over-development which is a big issue in the south east outside London. Overall I'd also expect turnout to be down as voters vent their frustration about events at Westminster on local politicians by ignoring May 2nd.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Chairman of New Zealand's biggest mosque says Mossad were behind Christchurch massacre that left 50 people dead

Ahmed Bhamji, who leads the Mt Roskill Masjid E Umar mosque in Auckland, made the remarks at a rally organised by Love New Zealand Hate Racism on Saturday.

During a speech, he said Israeli intelligence agency Mossad was behind the attack and accused suspect Brenton Tarrant of getting funding from 'Zionist business'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6859219/Chairman-New-Zealands-biggest-mosque-says-Mossad-Christchurch-massacre.html
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

The only election prediction I have is that actual independent candidates will do well -- not the Tiggers, who will rightly be considered part of the Westminster mess, but locals who put on a whole "let's send some real people there to show them how to do it" shtick.

In particular, that independent in East Devon, who already did well in the last two elections, looks a decent bet for a shock gain.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

I don't think he is. Too many MPs detest him, he's loathed by all Remainers, he's shot his bolt. I'm not even convinced that Tory activists and members are THAT keen, any more.

Gove, Raab, Javid or maybe someone out of nowhere, like Thatcher.
    He clearly thinks.he is in.with a shot as do the bookies. But my thinking is along your lines.
  • Options

"The people of Britain will never knowingly consent to be governed by those who do not speak their language, live in their country or depend upon their votes."

"Our success in it is dependent upon the vision, self confidence and calibre of our leaders, "

In which case Brexit shows us on the way to be an absolute failure. Our leaders have fuck-all real vision (only unicorns), too much supremely arrogant self-confidence and zero calibre.
    Given more than 80 per cent of 'Welsh' people only speak English I am not sure that the language point applies at least.

We have sold off much of central London and other prime sites to the Saudis, Russians, Chinese, Malaysians, Qataris etc. Much of our infrastructure is also owned and operated by foreign businesses and governments. Many of those countries would not let foreign non resident nationals buy up their country.

Some might say we sold our birthright for a bit of ready cash a while back!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

The only election prediction I have is that actual independent candidates will do well -- not the Tiggers, who will rightly be considered part of the Westminster mess, but locals who put on a whole "let's send some real people there to show them how to do it" shtick.

In particular, that independent in East Devon, who already did well in the last two elections, looks a decent bet for a shock gain.
    A few of the models already have her gaining it
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Given more than 80 per cent of 'Welsh' people only speak English I am not sure that the language point applies at least.

We have sold off much of central London and other prime sites to the Saudis, Russians, Chinese, Malaysians, Qataris etc. Much of our infrastructure is also owned and operated by foreign businesses and governments. Many of those countries would not let foreign non resident nationals buy up their country.

Yes apparently that Welsh icon Sir Tom Jones confessed on "The Voice" that he didn't speak Welsh
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,889
    Pro_Rata said:

Really? It looks rather ugly IMO. There are far better stadiums.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?
    A couple of times some years ago. The sight lines and in stadium experience are not modern, it's very vertiginous, and when not full the lowest ring near the pitch tends to be pretty empty putting gap between fan and pitch that was never intended.

But if I were to choose any stadium in the world to survive to 4000AD to tell those people of our times, forget your fancy new stadia, I would choose this one.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    If its voted down there us an overwhelming case for a GE, no agreement to leave, none to revoke or revote
    Kills immediate talk of differences to PD, can't have them without WA
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Will bollocks to Brexit bercow agree?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Mmmm. An ad hoc plan with little to no consultation, brought forward without squaring off any of the opposition.
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    If its voted down there us an overwhelming case for a GE, no agreement to leave, none to revoke or revote
    Kills immediate talk of differences to PD, can't have them without WA
    https://youtu.be/d3PKE8uTSp8
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,201

First - ever !

https://twitter.com/cooledmiliband/status/590240348204625921
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?
    A couple of times some years ago. The sight lines and in stadium experience are not modern, it's very vertiginous, and when not full the lowest ring near the pitch tends to be pretty empty putting gap between fan and pitch that was never intended.

But if I were to choose any stadium in the world to survive to 4000AD to tell those people of our times, forget your fancy new stadia, I would choose this one.
    The facilities in the (Milan) away end certainly leave a lot to be desired. That said, I'm glad I've been as it is iconic. If Arsenal get past Napoli and play Valencia in the semi final I'll go as I've always wanted to go to the Mestalla.
  • Options
    On topic:

With respect, Mike, you really trust MPs with serious decisions like electing a leader? After last night's debacle?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Mmmm. An ad hoc plan with little to no consultation, brought forward without squaring off any of the opposition.
    If the withdrawal agreement is not approved by the Commons before 11pm tomorrow then the option of extending article 50 to 22 May falls and we revert to 12 April (and thus presumably a long extension and EU elections).

So the Government probably feels it has no choice but to go for it.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Pro_Rata said:

I've never seen it in real life but it looks utterly hideous. What am I missing?!
    Didn't realise AC and Inter were ground-sharing!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Danny565 said:
    Such self- indulgence when for example the British Chamber of Commerce just meeting down the road are saying the current uncertainty is now causing real practical difficulties to importers and exporters.

And how does he gain a new PM under that scenario given TM's resignation is conditional?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    If I was an MP with a busy constituency diary tomorrow, I wouldn't be all that gutted if the business motion was lost at 5pm this afternoon to put tomorrow out of its misery before it starts....
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

The facilities in the (Milan) away end certainly leave a lot to be desired. That said, I'm glad I've been as it is iconic. If Arsenal get past Napoli and play Valencia in the semi final I'll go as I've always wanted to go to the Mestalla.
    In terms of stadia of iconicness then St John's Wood is as far as one need go. Perhaps notwithstanding the MCG on the first morning of a Boxing Day Ashes test
  • Options
    Norm said:

brendan16 said:

Yes apparently that Welsh icon Sir Tom Jones confessed on "The Voice" that he didn't speak Welsh
    Like my "Welsh" physics teacher. He always related to us his story about being turned down for a job in Wales because the last thing the interviewers asked was "Can you speak Welsh?". "And I knew they were gonna ask me that!" he always ended his story with!
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

In terms of atmosphere Anfield might be the most intense I have ever experienced. That was a long time ago, tho.

The new Wembley is elegant. Real Madrid's ground

Probably the most beautiful stadium is the one that never got built. Chelsea's wood-and-brick cathedral of a stadium, cancelled last year. It would have been stunning.

https://www.e-architect.co.uk/london/herzog-de-meurons-chelsea-stadium

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    SeanT said:

tpfkar said:

https://sdp.org.uk/
  • Options

Chairman of New Zealand's biggest mosque says Mossad were behind Christchurch massacre that left 50 people dead

Ahmed Bhamji, who leads the Mt Roskill Masjid E Umar mosque in Auckland, made the remarks at a rally organised by Love New Zealand Hate Racism on Saturday.

During a speech, he said Israeli intelligence agency Mossad was behind the attack and accused suspect Brenton Tarrant of getting funding from 'Zionist business'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6859219/Chairman-New-Zealands-biggest-mosque-says-Mossad-Christchurch-massacre.html

Love NZ hate racism but anti semitism is fine?
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    If the withdrawal agreement is not approved by the Commons before 11pm tomorrow then the option of extending article 50 to 22 May falls and we revert to 12 April (and thus presumably a long extension and EU elections).

So the Government probably feels it has no choice but to go for it.

And Mays gamble to get her loons onside, just firmed up the opposition.
    A Boris, JRM or Gove Brexit.
    Brilliant!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

In terms of atmosphere Anfield might be the most intense I have ever experienced. That was a long time ago, tho.

Probably the most beautiful stadium is the one that never got built. Chelsea's wood-and-brick cathedral of a stadium, cancelled last year. It would have been stunning.

The London Stadium is the only footy stadium I have experienced - when I saw Depeche Mode in 2017!
  • Options
    Have I got this straight. Having (rightly) insisted that the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration were inseparable, the government have now decided to separate them. And to try for a vote on the WA, the element which is really unpopular. And doing so knowing that they absolutely haven't got the votes to carry it or the rationale as to (a) why anyone should vote on half a deal or (b) why half a deal is substantially different to the full deal barring that it has pointlessly been cleft in twain?

Voters like desperate incompetent backstabbing self-serving hideously divided parties don't they? I get it now - May is salting the earth to ensure that none of her purported successors can be a success. Its May enacting Operation Samson - you can remove me, but you will all be taken out by me as my final act
  • Options
    I was taken by a Welsh university mate to a game at Neath when I visited him one holiday. That's the most intimidating thing I've experienced in a sports arena
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    edited March 2019

SeanT said:

Pro_Rata said:

Didn't realise AC and Inter were ground-sharing!
    I went to what must be the biggest Milan derby, the 2nd leg of the Champions League Semi Final in 2003. The stadium was very impressive

The fact so much of it seems to cover the pitch I think made it feel different
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,051
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Always sovereign.
    But the costs of "freedom" - which are basically the economic costs of dismantling the trade relationship created by our single market and customs union membership, and the complications around the Irish border - are simply the loss of the benefits created by our membership (our deep trade relationship and the Good Friday Agreement, which it is hard to imagine existing had both the UK and Ireland not been EU members). So it's more like a nice hotel than a prison, and the thing keeping us from leaving is really the absence of alternative accommodation rather than the prospect of broken limbs.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

In terms of stadia of iconicness then St John's Wood is as far as one need go. Perhaps notwithstanding the MCG on the first morning of a Boxing Day Ashes test
    I've only watched professional cricket at one ground - Woodbridge Road, Guildford. I think I'd put Newlands ahead of the MCG as far as grounds I would like to visit.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Have I got this straight. Having (rightly) insisted that the Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration were inseparable, the government have now decided to separate them. And to try for a vote on the WA, the element which is really unpopular. And doing so knowing that they absolutely haven't got the votes to carry it or the rationale as to (a) why anyone should vote on half a deal or (b) why half a deal is substantially different to the full deal barring that it has pointlessly been cleft in twain?

Voters like desperate incompetent backstabbing self-serving hideously divided parties don't they? I get it now - May is salting the earth to ensure that none of her purported successors can be a success. Its May enacting Operation Samson - you can remove me, but you will all be taken out by me as my final act

Yes - but the deadline agreed with the EU is that the withdrawal agreement must be approved by tomorrow to get the article 50 extension to 22 May.

If its not approved by tomorrow we move definitively to 12 April - and that means almost certain EU elections and a long extension.

Of course if we don't leave by 22 May Mrs May's commitment to resign as leader falls - and she carries on and on and on.....

So either way she wins!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Afternoon all :)

On topic, I'm not wholly convinced by OGH's argument. As a member of a Party where members also have a vote, I'm not sure it's such a bad system.

The main difference is any and every MP who opts to stand appears on the ballot paper to members. We don't get the Labour collegiate system or the Conservative system where only two names appear on the ballot paper and which allows MPs to vote tactically in a succession of ballots (as we recall when Portillo was defeated in 2001).

I think it quite possible we could have three or four names on the LD ballot (conducted by STV of course so everyone's second choice gets in). I don't know why the Conservatives don't just put the names of all the aspiring candidates on a ballot paper and consult all the members via FPTP (given there could be 12 runners STV might be too much for the Tories).

I'm also opposed to OGH because we should as supporters of the democratic process be in the market of encouraging more democracy not reducing it. If only the MPs, why not the Peers or Councillors - you'd better believe local Councillors of all stripes work hard as well. I may only pay my sub these days but that's still a commitment and I would resent having a vote to determine the Party leader taken out of my hands.

That being said, I am also opposed to the various entryist models - at least the Conservatives and LDs exercise a little dud diligence as to the electorate. Labour sold their Party to the Left for £3 (paid by one or two Conservatives too perhaps).
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Scott_P said:
    And Labour responds "LOL why, with your track record on truthfulness, would we trust you to stick to your promise of an election?"
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Tories would be mad to agree to that. While they spend all their time and effort tearing lumps out of each other to elect a new leader, jezza does his socialist roadshow unchallenged again.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Off topic, Pete Buttigieg was last matched on Betfair at 11 for the Democratic nomination. The market seems to be getting far ahead of the current state of play, on him at least.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

Oh, no, don't like that much (though I do like the interior arch detail). What I would truly have liked to see come to fruition was their short-lived plan to build a new ground inside the walls of Battersea Power Station.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

tlg86 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Have you been?

I've only watched professional cricket at one ground - Woodbridge Road, Guildford. I think I'd put Newlands ahead of the MCG as far as grounds I would like to visit.
    I've always wanted to go the Perth test. The world could explode in nuclear war on the first morning and the test would be over before news reached.
    Antigua or St Lucia would be good.
    Norfolks old ground at lakenham was fun if only because I saw them beat a rest of the world side there, it was a terrible wicket though
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So when is the election then - late June?

And does that mean we leave on 22 May - before the election? I can see Labour being torn - but they could wipe out the Tiggers.

And then we can have an election about whether we are in a customs arrangement, no customs union, a customs union or the customs union - and within a few days we will probably all end up being driven to needing free social care!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    This ploy looks to cut off the chance of a further extension .

Vote the WA and after April 12 it’s too late to organize EU elections . So saying to the ERG get it through and the UK is definitely out by May 22 . Of course they could then derail the WAIB and force no deal unless the nuclear option of revoke happens .

In terms of EU elections there’s nothing in the ECJ decision to stop revocation past April 12 . The EU can’t stop that as long as that happens before the expiry of the May 22 extension.

And if the WA comes back tomorrow , then amendments could be put down so that could cause the government more problems .
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    brendan16 said:

Yes - but the deadline agreed with the EU is that the withdrawal agreement must be approved by tomorrow to get the article 50 extension to 22 May.

If its not approved by tomorrow we move definitively to 12 April - and that means almost certain EU elections and a long extension.

Of course if we don't leave by 22 May Mrs May's commitment to resign as leader falls - and she carries on and on and on.....

So either way she wins!
    I think it's likely May will be forced to ask for the long extension and then forced to announce an early date for her own departure by the end of next week. The EU will deem her departure to represent the major political step they are seeking to grant the extension. Then we will be in to a Tory leadership contest which could well end in the collapse of the government and a general election.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yep. The ideal use of an extension till May 22, for business, and the rest of us, with the myriad of things needed to be sorted out would be...
    A Tory leadership election!
    Superb plan.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Yep. The ideal use of an extension till May 22, for business, and the rest of us, with the myriad of things needed to be sorted out would be...
    Superb plan.
    I don't think it works under the timetable that the EU has set out. So as ideas go it doesn't even go as far as being crazy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Superb plan.
    After the WA is ratified it's all procedural matters.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:
    And Labour responds "LOL why, with your track record on truthfulness, would we trust you to stick to your promise of an election?"
    Quite. The very idea that such an absurd idea is being discussed is an illustration of the desperation into which the Government has sunk.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    kinabalu said:

I quite like the Tory system. MPs put 2 to the members. Good balance.

Parties are partnerships between members and MPs. There isn't a problem about the membership having a say, because that allows some balance. The problems come when only the membership has the say.

Yes, there is a degree of balance in the Tory process, with elimination to the final two ensuring that a leader must enjoy a reasonably high level of support amongst many MPs even if the successful candidate is not the first choice of the majority. The problem with the Tory process is with the procedure for getting rid of a leader who just scrapes home against a challenge (i.e. the 12 month embargo) not with the process of choosing them.

Generally MPs rally around their new leader anyway if they are any good, so an initial shortfall of MPs won't last. Ed Miliband achieved that - it was opponents outside not inside the party who tried to use the electoral college outcome against him. The problem with the new Labour process is that the MPs nominations threshold is far too low, effectively stripping them of influence. And the electoral college was a far better means of achieving balance anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Norm said:

Danny565 said:
    Such self- indulgence when for example the British Chamber of Commerce just meeting down the road are saying the current uncertainty is now causing real practical difficulties to importers and exporters.

And how does he gain a new PM under that scenario given TM's resignation is conditional?
    He waits till December I guess. May should make tomorrow's vote a confidence matter, remove the whip from the ERG hard-liners who still vote against, and call an election...

They'd be disqualified from standing as Tories in the GE, I believe.
  • Options

I was taken by a Welsh university mate to a game at Neath when I visited him one holiday. That's the most intimidating thing I've experienced in a sports arena

There's no doubt that the German teams away (ie over here) are very adept at very threatening chanting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Because most of the indicative votes are relating to changes to the political declaration, and require the WA in order to be implemented.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,088
    Scott_P said:
    This is essentially what I have been saying for a while is a very feasible outcome.

Uncouple the WA from the PD.
    WA passed and we leave in Q2.
    Tories select new leader.
    GE to decide who runs with the Future Relationship.

Has a lot going for it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    kinabalu said:

Scott_P said:
    This is essentially what I have been saying for a while is a very feasible outcome.

Uncouple the WA from the PD.
    WA passed and we leave in Q2.
    Tories select new leader.
    GE to decide who runs with the Future Relationship.

Has a lot going for it.
    It’s a mirage. The EU Withdrawal Act explicitly links ratification of the WA to the PD.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    The WA is a long extension - with a no return path.

Labour already trotting out reasons not to vote for it such as "we might get Boris".

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Off topic, Pete Buttigieg was last matched on Betfair at 11 for the Democratic nomination. The market seems to be getting far ahead of the current state of play, on him at least.

I also note Trump has come into 1.19/1.2 for the nomination. I seem to remember laying being tipped here at around 1.5 or so.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Scott_P said:
    Superb plan.
    I don't think it works under the timetable that the EU has set out. So as ideas go it doesn't even go as far as being crazy.
    Why doesn't it? It seems very unlikely to me but not impossible from an EU timetable perspective.
This discussion has been closed.