Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No Deal remains imminent and likely

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited March 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No Deal remains imminent and likely

Picture Judy Goldhill

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    First. Thanks for the header, David.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited March 2019
    I take the point that there's a history of British people not taking the EU's statements seriously and being wrong, but I think their stance will turn out to be less rigid than David Herdson is assuming.

Basically I reckon their order of preference is:
    1) Clean resolution
    2) Continued faffing
    3) Car crash

(3) is bad for everyone's businesses and citizens. It's very, very bad for Ireland, and to date the rest of the EU has had Ireland's back. The preference for (1) over (2) explains the strong anti-faff statements we've been hearing, but I think the preference for (2) over (3) will mean the EU will accept pretty much any kind of plan from the UK, even if it's a fairly hokey one like more negotiations to discuss a CU. It's not quite a cert because 27 people have a veto, but I think the probability of the EU accepting any non-ludicrous extension request is very high.

The other way to get No Deal is if Tory leadership politics somehow cause TMay or some other PM to go kamikaze, which is also a real possibility, but definitely not probable.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    The EU does not want No Deal. It can also see the humiliations the Brexit loons are now going through, the splits that are emerging and the very beginnings - perhaps - of a Remain majority in the UK. I’m with Edmund on this. If there’s a way to kick the can the EU will find it. Time is on their side.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    Well, May is looking for a means to have a fourth go...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47756122

Sadly, I think you might just have suggested a solution for her, David.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    However, without an agreed exit to Phase 1, this is not just pointless but delusional. It’s not so much rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic as heading back down to the Dining Room and arguing over whether to order venison or lamb.

That is a gorgeous metaphor.

I have said for months it is this deal or no deal. I had a brief wobble where I hoped people were coming to their senses, but no.

Not this deal - tragically, because without the EU noticing, in this deal they have somehow conceded membership of and very significant access to the CU and SM whole ending freedom of movement and most payments. But politicians on both sides are too stupid to see it.

Therefore, no deal.

All we can really do now is cross our fingers that it isn't as bad as expected.
  • Options
    dotsdots Posts: 615
    edited March 2019

I take the point that there's a history of British people not taking the EU's statements seriously and being wrong, but I think their stance will turn out to be less rigid than David Herdson is assuming.

Basically I reckon their order of preference is:
    1) Clean resolution
    2) Continued faffing
    3) Car crash

(3) is bad for everyone's businesses and citizens. It's very, very bad for Ireland, and to date the rest of the EU has had Ireland's back.

The other way to get No Deal is if Tory leadership politics somehow cause TMay or some other PM to go kamikaze, which is also a real possibility, but definitely not probable.

I think David herdson has been talking a lot of sense to an audience not believing his no deal brexit warnings, even though you disbelievingly repeated them yourself.

Here’s what I see as flaw in your thinking Edmund, To call it car crash is misleading. You mean brexit happening without a deal, what Juncker calls disorderly brexit? There’s been a lot of political spin flying around for a long time in order to place pressure ahead of voting, which means not taking everything said as gospel. But The tools are there to orderly manage a no deal brexit scenario. Carefully devised transition arrangements and sectoral mini deals,They can be whipped out a box and put to use bringing some degree of order to what you call a car crash, instead of crashing out UK orderly transitions outside the EU.

What it means for your list is cross out car crash and insert “orderly 9 month transition for UK outside EU, Future relationship talks do not begin again until we bung them the lolly and likely accept other conditions”

Now for you it may still be third on your list, but for 180 Tory MPs and 10 cabinet members such a thing might have moved to the top, in which case they are thinking how do we act?

And then the question where is it on EUs list, are they thinking sure there is hit from No Brexit, but this is offset by being politically shop tired too tied up prevented from tackling other important things, also reputational damage from kick resolution down road with mad old UK, prolong uncertainty will inflict more economic woe upon already creaking economies and business, and damage EU democracy from UK continuing to participate in EU democracy without being around to abide those decisions,

First is the big leaver push in UK to get those transition tools out the box and put transition to no deal brexit top of the UKs list. Looking at Telegraph front page and the letter to May, this as predicted by dots straight after the vote yesterday has begun. Dots other prediction was later the two real decision makers, British cabinet and EU council come together look at their list and realise what they both have top of it.
  • Options
    Off topic - interesting stuff about Biden in the previous thread ...

One of our HK team members worked on the Democrat campaign in 2012 in a very junior capacity and said that Biden had a reputation that would come back to haunt him now that #MeToo has happened. He said he did not think that he would run for this reason.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    It might be imminent but it isn't likely
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Possibly the most useful thing that could happen next would be for an EU leader to say that's it, sorry - no chance of any more extensions, no more can-kicking. We've had enough of you. Get gone. You decide, Westminster, how you do it. But make a choice, then don't darken our doors again.

Revoke is off the menu - the indicative votes showed there is no appetite in the House. It then comes down to where it should have been many months back: May's Deal, or No Deal. Winner takes all. And MPs have convinced themslves, by their direst warnings of doom followed up by the indicative vote, that No Deal isn't a runner either. May makes it a 3-line whip on her Deal. And gets a three-figure victory. The DUP can huff and puff, but they get promised a tidy sum in Hammond's Emergency post-Brexit Budget - contingent on the Govt. being around to sign the cheques.

May steps down, new leader, Brave New Normal starts off, with the EU clear that Rejoin ain't happening. World gives a huge post-Brexit sigh of relief that It Is Done.

Well, except for the dozens of MPs getting No Confidenced for their grandstanding.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    You don't think, then, Mr H, that we'll go to Revoke or 'Put it to the People'?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    dots said:

I think David herdson has been talking a lot of sense to an audience not believing his no deal brexit warnings, even though you disbelievingly repeated them yourself.

Here’s what I see as flaw in your thinking Edmund, To call it car crash is misleading. You mean brexit happening without a deal, what Juncker calls disorderly brexit? There’s been a lot of political spin flying around for a long time in order to place pressure ahead of voting, which means not taking everything said as gospel. But The tools are there to orderly manage a no deal brexit scenario. Carefully devised transition arrangements and sectoral mini deals,They can be whipped out a box and put to use bringing some degree of order to what you call a car crash, instead of crashing out UK orderly transitions outside the EU.

What it means for your list is cross out car crash and insert “orderly 9 month transition for UK outside EU, Future relationship talks do not begin again until we bung them the lolly and likely accept other conditions”

Now for you it may still be third on your list, but for 180 Tory MPs and 10 cabinet members such a thing might have moved to the top, in which case they are thinking how do we act?

And then the question where is it on EUs list, are they thinking sure there is hit from No Brexit, but this is offset by being politically shop tired too tied up prevented from tackling other important things, also reputational damage from kick resolution down road with mad old UK, prolong uncertainty will inflict more economic woe upon already creaking economies and business, and damage EU democracy from UK continuing to participate in EU democracy without being around to abide those decisions,

First is the big leaver push in UK to get those transition tools out the box and put transition to no deal brexit top of the UKs list. Looking at Telegraph front page and the letter to May, this as predicted by dots straight after the vote yesterday has begun. Dots other prediction was later the two real decision makers, British cabinet and EU council come together look at their list and realise what they both have top of it.

I don't really get how the rest of the EU could be totally brimming with time and energy to negotiate a bazillion carefully-designed transition arrangements and sectoral mini deals with Britain's disfunctional government yet somehow simultaneously too "politically shop tired" to let Britain sit in the corner in its gimp mask for another 18 months.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    That MPs are moving toward an alternative (probably CU, maybe PV) approach looks likely. Far from being "artificial", preferential voting is a widely used and widely accepted means of getting there. That the EU wants us to get there, and will offer a long extension if we do, also looks likely. Key people have been hinting as much since yesterday and some have as good as said as much.

If we get an extension, support for Brexit will continue to decline as people lose faith with it and see it for what it is. Eventually its abandonment will seem sensible, if not inevitable.

The EU doesn't want no deal, and a big majority in Parliament doesn't want no deal. Revocation is more likely, over the heads of the Tories. We only get no deal by a cock up. Which I agree is quite possible, but not the most likely outcome.

David is right in one respect only, that (most of) the Tories won't enjoy finding themselves suddenly impotent when they thought they were in office. But, as he also points out, almost any scenario from here runs up against the disunity of the Tories. So some sort of reckoning can't be avoided.
  • Options

dots said:

Here’soutside the EU.

And decisions,

First is top of it.

I don't really get how the rest of the EU could be totally brimming with time and energy to negotiate a bazillion carefully-designed transition arrangements and sectoral mini deals with Britain's disfunctional government yet somehow simultaneously too "politically shop tired" to let Britain sit in the corner in its gimp mask for another 18 months.

If it comes to No Deal the EU will put in place measures that help the EU. Some may also benefit the UK, others won't.

It's no wonder that this secret Tory letter about No Deal is secret. If we get to No Deal anyone who signed it is going to want deniability.
  • Options
    The UKIP candidate who stood against Grieve in 2017 orchestrating his deselection in 2019 is an exact mirror image of what has been happening in Labour, where far-left entryists are taking over CLPs. This is all enabled by our ridiculous first past the post voting system.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

That MPs are moving toward an alternative (probably CU, maybe PV) approach looks likely. Far from being "artificial", preferential voting is a widely used and widely accepted means of getting there. That the EU wants us to get there, and will offer a long extension if we do, also looks likely. Key people have been hinting as much since yesterday and some have as good as said as much.

If we get an extension, support for Brexit will continue to decline as people lose faith with it and see it for what it is. Eventually its abandonment will seem sensible, if not inevitable.

The EU doesn't want no deal, and a big majority in Parliament doesn't want no deal. Revocation is more likely, over the heads of the Tories. We only get no deal by a cock up. Which I agree is quite possible, but not the most likely outcome.

David is right in one respect only, that (most of) the Tories won't enjoy finding themselves suddenly impotent when they thought they were in office. But, as he also points out, almost any scenario from here runs up against the disunity of the Tories. So some sort of reckoning can't be avoided.

‘Moving towards’ isn’t enough. Parliament has perhaps a couple of days to come up with a consensus, as that alone is far from sufficient to come to any new arrangement with the EU. And even if they can, there is still the problem of how to get the government to adopt it.

I think David is quite right about the likelihood of No Deal.

And “if we get an extension” is entirely begging the question.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    David forgets a second referendum. That is compatible with the WA process and was close to passing last week.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2019

Possibly the most useful thing that could happen next would be for an EU leader to say that's it, sorry - no chance of any more extensions, no more can-kicking. We've had enough of you. Get gone. You decide, Westminster, how you do it. But make a choice, then don't darken our doors again.

Revoke is off the menu - the indicative votes showed there is no appetite in the House. It then comes down to where it should have been many months back: May's Deal, or No Deal. Winner takes all. And MPs have convinced themslves, by their direst warnings of doom followed up by the indicative vote, that No Deal isn't a runner either. May makes it a 3-line whip on her Deal. And gets a three-figure victory. The DUP can huff and puff, but they get promised a tidy sum in Hammond's Emergency post-Brexit Budget - contingent on the Govt. being around to sign the cheques.

May steps down, new leader, Brave New Normal starts off, with the EU clear that Rejoin ain't happening. World gives a huge post-Brexit sigh of relief that It Is Done.

Well, except for the dozens of MPs getting No Confidenced for their grandstanding.

With the Cabinet irrevocably split, it is very unlikely that Theresa May can whip support for the deal.

To pass her deal, Theresa May needs to reach out to its opponents: Labour, ERG and DUP. She must build a consensus in support of her deal; persuade opponents; listen to and address their reservations objections; not repeat yet again her failed tactic of inviting them round for a 2-hour lecture on why she was right all along.

It seems to me that the next logical step is a new Prime Minister who can actually do politics. Theresa May might disagree though.
  • Options

It seems to me that the next logical step is a new Prime Minister who can actually do politics. Theresa May might disagree though.

I'd settle for some politicians who can actually do politics.

I agree with @MarqueeMark that we need deselections, starting with the whole of the ERG and the entirety of the Labour Party. They have proven they only care about mindless posturing to appease a tiny group of their mates and not at all about the national interest. They are utterly unfit to hold elected office.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

David forgets a second referendum. That is compatible with the WA process and was close to passing last week.

And requires a year's extension, which is only within the EU council's gift.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

And entirely possible. It’s a straight way out. The only downside is collateral damage to the Tory Party, but in the general scheme of things that’s an incremental cost. They’re already split.

May amends the deal to be subject to a vote and favouring a customs union next week,whips the Tories which divide 50:50 but with the opposition it’s just enough.

May won’t do it, but it is a way out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I agree with @MarqueeMark that we need deselections, starting with the whole of the ERG and the entirety of the Labour Party. They have proven they only care about mindless posturing to appease a tiny group of their mates and not at all about the national interest. They are utterly unfit to hold elected office.
    We appear to have started with Dominic Grieve.

The only solution is at the ballot box, and the available alternatives are not exactly thrusting themselves forward at the moment.
    The system is broken, and the route towards its repair uncertain.
  • Options

Off topic - interesting stuff about Biden in the previous thread ...

One of our HK team members worked on the Democrat campaign in 2012 in a very junior capacity and said that Biden had a reputation that would come back to haunt him now that #MeToo has happened. He said he did not think that he would run for this reason.

He could well be right. We’ll find out pretty soon.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

The only solution is at the ballot box, and the available alternatives are not exactly thrusting themselves forward at the moment.
    That I can certainly agree with.

In fact, if this whole fiasco shows anything it shows our entire political system is in desperate need of reform.

Edit - BTW, I'm surprised to learn Grieve is a member of the ERG or the Labour Party.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

That I can certainly agree with.

In fact, if this whole fiasco shows anything it shows our entire political system is in desperate need of reform.

Edit - BTW, I'm surprised to learn Grieve is a member of the ERG or the Labour Party.
    I’d be surprised, too.
    When the call “we need deselections” goes out, there are very few ydoethurs voting at the meetings. More is the pity.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

And requires the UK to participate in the new EU Parliament elections
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

So not much to sort out in the next ten days, and I’m sure having a PM in place resolutely opposed to both won’t get in the way...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Grieve doesn't seem to be getting much sympathy over on ConHome
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Grieve is a genuine old school conservative, but also smart and outward looking. It is shocking that he has no place in today’s Conservative Party, which seems to prefer ideological purity over conservatism. Real Tories need to take a hard look at what is going on and act before it’s too late.
  • Options
    Morning all and an excellent thread David. I have only lurked in recent weeks because I feared what I might write in response to some of the London-centric Remoaners on this site who have absolutely no idea about the anger in the country outside London and Edinburgh.

I am delighted that the constituency association of Beaconsfield has taken the first step in ditching Dominic Grieve. Although a very clever man he has set his face in opposition to stated government policy, one upon which he stood at the 2017 GE.

Now the others who opposed the PM should be subjected to similar votes and if only the good folks at Rayleigh and Wickford would prick Mark Francois little bubble, that would be great but I fear they will be cheering him on!

Personally my first priority is to get out of the EU. If we can do so on the back of MV4 fine. If not then a No-deal would do because both sides would realise quickly they need a deal. Personally I would bring the Irish to heel by crippling their economy immediately and burst the DUP bubble by announcing a discussion on a united Ireland referendum. Even Arlene Foster would shit herself then.

Just as well I am not PM because I would have all these young knife killers taking a long walk off a wooden platform with a noose around their necks and those caught carrying knives birched!

That's me back off to lurking.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    FPT: The Tories are now an unthinkable option for anyone under the age of 108.

They should elect Chope as leader and be done with it, focusing their energies on upskirting and furriner-baiting.

Detoxification lasted 10 years. Well done, Mrs May.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

So not much to sort out in the next ten days, and I’m sure having a PM in place resolutely opposed to both won’t get in the way...
    When wasn't she entirely truthful; when, during the Referendum campaign she said how much better off we were inside or over the last few weeks?
    Although, and I'm sure someone will correct me, she hasn't, has she, ever said we're better of out. She's just referred to the 'Will of The People".
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    IanB2 said:

ConHome is an extreme pro-Brexit site
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    IanB2 said:

It turns out purging of MPs by reference to ideological purity tests is only a problem if your opponents are doing it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And in other news this morning, Pope Francis has announced he is a Catholic.
  • Options

Morning all and an excellent thread David. I have only lurked in recent weeks because I feared what I might write in response to some of the London-centric Remoaners on this site who have absolutely no idea about the anger in the country outside London and Edinburgh.

I am delighted that the constituency association of Beaconsfield has taken the first step in ditching Dominic Grieve. Although a very clever man he has set his face in opposition to stated government policy, one upon which he stood at the 2017 GE.

Now the others who opposed the PM should be subjected to similar votes and if only the good folks at Rayleigh and Wickford would prick Mark Francois little bubble, that would be great but I fear they will be cheering him on!

Personally my first priority is to get out of the EU. If we can do so on the back of MV4 fine. If not then a No-deal would do because both sides would realise quickly they need a deal. Personally I would bring the Irish to heel by crippling their economy immediately and burst the DUP bubble by announcing a discussion on a united Ireland referendum. Even Arlene Foster would shit herself then.

Just as well I am not PM because I would have all these young knife killers taking a long walk off a wooden platform with a noose around their necks and those caught carrying knives birched!

“Personally I would bring the Irish to heel by crippling their economy immediately...”

Charming stuff.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Expecting sympathy from ConHome, is like expecting sympathy from the flu virus.
  • Options

When I started reading your post I was looking forward to a different perspective, then we arrive at the wilful urging that another country's and our closest neighbour's economy be deliberately crippled, and we are back to demonstrating how deranged this whole nonsense seems to have made some people. The sooner we escape from it the better.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic it’s a definite risk and the default path. MPs must act to avoid it. Will they?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Just before it gets as far as "Britain does sleepwalk into a No Deal Brexit" we should Revoke.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

Which is actually good news. A period following EU rules where we retain representation and a voice is surely better than a period (as per the WA) following the same rules whilst banished to the anteroom.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

When I started reading your post I was looking forward to a different perspective, then we arrive at the wilful urging that another country's and our closest neighbour's economy be deliberately crippled, and we are back to demonstrating how deranged this whole nonsense seems to have made some people. The sooner we escape from it the better.
    To be fair, “Remoaner” was a tell.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited March 2019
    Good morning, everyone.

Weird, had to sign in twice (second time that's happened).

Mr. Jonathan, if I were May, I'd try slapping a referendum onto the withdrawal agreement.

But, praise be to Anubis, I am not May.

Edited extra bit: kept signing me out, took me about five attempts to stay in to post this.
  • Options

“Personally I would bring the Irish to heel by crippling their economy immediately...”

Charming stuff.
    I was thinking more that that would surely have a disastrous effect on Ulster as well. Which is the last thing we want (unless we're actually crazy).

Indeed, as Ulster's economy is smaller, less diverse and more dependent on trade with Ireland than Ireland's trade is in us, the effects would probably be worse.

It's one reason why I'm appalled at the irresponsibility of MPs voting against the deal and effectively endorsing No Deal.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

They should elect Chope as leader and be done with it, focusing their energies on upskirting and furriner-baiting.

Ironic by the woman who castigated the Tory party as the "nasty party".
  • Options

On topic it’s a definite risk and the default path. MPs must act to avoid it. Will they?

That they'll try isn't really in doubt; everyone knows it. The question is whether they succeed or, from the opposing perspective, whether they can be stopped.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jonathan, if I were May, I'd try slapping a referendum onto the withdrawal agreement.

Edited extra bit: kept signing me out, took me about five attempts to stay in to post this.

The thing I don’t get, is that Leave is likely to win a second vote and it would entrench Mays deal. If she had done it three months ago May could have strengthened her position.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Off thread

Is there a decent alternative to the BBC website, I am getting very fed up with the clickbait nature of it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Betfair has settled its "out on 29/3" market.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

It seems more likely that I’ll see a cure for the flu virus in my lifetime than an eradication of malignant ERGism, sadly.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I’ve experienced similar problems over the last couple of days, FWIW.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

While true thanks to our election system, the fact most people select the least worst option and Jeremy Corbyn it will be a while until the retoxification becomes clear.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691

Difficult as long as the government actively undermines parliament.
  • Options

And even if they act, can they come up with a mechanism to avoid it in the time available ?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, she should've (from her perspective) gone for it after losing by nigh on 200 votes. Instead she faffed about, as usual, failed to persuade nearly enough MPs, and now we're in a situation where the most likely options appear to be revocation (perhaps with a referendum) or no deal (which some may see as the least worst option but very few indeed proactively wanted instead of a good deal).
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Off thread

Is there a decent alternative to the BBC website, I am getting very fed up with the clickbait nature of it.

If you have an iPhone (or Mac), the Apple News app is good - it aggregates the headlines from various sources to give a more balanced picture, and you can block any publications you don’t like.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited March 2019

Off thread

If you have an iPhone (or Mac), the Apple News app is good - it aggregates the headlines from various sources to give a more balanced picture, and you can block any publications you don’t like.
    I am on Android (Samsung)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Jonathan said:

Grieve is a genuine old school conservative, but also smart and outward looking. It is shocking that he has no place in today’s Conservative Party, which seems to prefer ideological purity over conservatism. Real Tories need to take a hard look at what is going on and act before it’s too late.

“Ideological purity” = “Mainfesto on which he was elected”

Grieve has not (yet) been de-selected - and if he turns out to be one of the unintended handmaidens of No Deal Brexit May not be....
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    Jonathan said:

Yes, Grieve belongs to that group picture of Thatcher's hated "Wets" circa 1981, to me. Too authoritative and moderate for neo-radical, populist Toryism.
  • Options
    F1: pre-qualifying ramble, posted yesterday (likely occupied later today):
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2019/03/bahrain-pre-qualifying-2019.html

The pre-race tosh will probably be up Sunday morning. Off-chance it'll be this evening.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Great article.

@NickPalmer said right from the get go that he couldn’t see more than a half a dozen Lab MPs voting for the deal and so it has turned out.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mr. B, yeah, I've had to log in twice a couple of times before but this was faintly ridiculous (tried a few times, did some other stuff, then tried again and it worked).

Mr. Jonathan, Grieve's typical of why MPs have failed the electorate. They lack the guts to revoke (with or without a referendum) or the integrity to actually go along with the decision that the electorate made and they themselves legislated for (both in holding the referendum and triggering Article 50).

Said it before, but the Commons needs to shit or get off the pot.

At this rate, we'll leave with no deal because they just can't agree anything else.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    IanB2 said:

He deserves none. If he felt so strongly that Brexit was a "national suicide", he should have stood in 2017 as an independent, and not as a Conservative on a manifesto pledged to deliver that same Brexit. He's treated those who voted for him with contempt.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    dots said:

Cross out "orderly 9 month transition for UK outside EU", reinstate "car crash" and add "that far too many people who should know better believe will never happen"

Unfortunately it makes the No Deal car crash far more likely. They are not driving responsibly.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Personally I would bring the Irish to heel...

You are Oliver Cromwell and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So the "modern Conservative party" can accommodate Francois but not Grieve...

And they wonder why people refuse to vote for them.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Grieve has not (yet) been de-selected - and if he turns out to be one of the unintended handmaidens of No Deal Brexit May not be....
    The 2017 manifesto was rushed through to support the political tactic of the 2017 election. It was instrumental in the loss of the majority. Since it was a hack, rejected by the electorate, it’s not a strong bond on Conservative MPs.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

It seems more likely that I’ll see a cure for the flu virus in my lifetime than an eradication of malignant ERGism, sadly.
    A 3-line whip would do it. Probably needs to be taken out of the Constituency Parties’ hands
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    TOPPING said:

Great article.

@NickPalmer said right from the get go that he couldn’t see more than a half a dozen Lab MPs voting for the deal and so it has turned out.

Yes, that is impressive unity and discipline.

Compare and contrast with the Tory witch hunt.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    edited March 2019
    I think two facts are pertinent:

1) the EU now says No Deal is “likely”; and
    2) they have been preparing for no deal for over a year

When will we ever take the EU’s word for it?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The 2017 manifesto was rushed through to support the political tactic of the 2017 election. It was instrumental in the loss of the majority. Since it was a hack, rejected by the electorate, it’s not a strong bond on Conservative MPs.

"but the manifesto..." is the last desperate cry of those who have no sensible defense of their ideological purge.

Where are the calls to deselect those MPs who have failed to champion the disastrous care proposals?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Great article.

Yes, that is impressive unity and discipline.

Compare and contrast with the Tory witch hunt.
    At least the Tories don’t hunt Jews.
  • Options
    Ah, I didn't know Grieve is on the road to de-selection.

I think parties are better as broad churches than narrow interests (indeed, that's one of the reasons I'm so against PR, which fragments larger parties). I do support the right of MPs to differ from their constituents, but Grieve also differed from what he himself appears to have said just a couple of years ago.

Not a great situation.
  • Options
    From the Brexit-friendly Telegraph:

Their last refuge now, perhaps in the “depression” phrase of grief, is to rail about how unfair all of this is. Yes, it is jolly unfair. Brexit won the referendum fair and square. But politics isn’t some school football match in which a teacher is going to intervene if someone engages in a nasty tackle. If you want to visit a revolutionary change upon a country’s government and economy, you’d damn well better be up to the fight.

I’ve always had an odd, emotional fondness for Westminster’s Eurosceptics... At its best, this movement is inspired, original and brilliant. But it also suffers from an excess of factionalism, pettiness and ideological fanaticism. It is a tragedy that these failings have been allowed to thwart its strengths, that, having won the chance to change things, it was unable to quell the habits of conspiratorial opposition and actually wield power.

The fight will move now to a protracted negotiation over the non-binding political declaration, with the spectre of a second referendum looming ever larger. It isn’t over yet. But before the Brexiteers move onto play the second half, it’s time for a long, hard think about how they ended up here.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    Grieve’s problem is not so much that he is opposed to May’s deal but he has led the charge in undermining his own Gov. It’s well known that in our democracy MPs are representatives of their constitutuency rather than delegates but to undermine the manifesto upon which he was elected is tantamount to lying to his electorate. That his association should be angry about that is understandable. May herself has reneged on her own manifesto. That’s why her deal is in so much trouble.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is evidently to their Constituency Associations, the people who went out and knocked on doors for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Grieve’s problem is not so much that he is opposed to May’s deal but he has led the charge in undermining his own Gov. It’s well known that in our democracy MPs are representatives of their constitutuency rather than delegates but to undermine the manifesto upon which he was elected is tantamount to lying to his electorate. That his association should be angry about that is understandable. May herself has reneged on her own manifesto. That’s why her deal is in so much trouble.

"He led by far the smaller of the charges undermining his own government", would be more accurate. But the real troublemakers always seem to get a free pass.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

It is evidently to their Constituency Associations, the people who went out and knocked on doors for them.
    The guy leading the charge against Grieve did indeed go out knocking on doors in Beaconsfield...
  • Options

Grieve’s problem is not so much that he is opposed to May’s deal but he has led the charge in undermining his own Gov.

LOL

At worst, what Grieve has succeeded in doing is allow Parliament to "Take Back Control"

Any Brexiteer who wasn't a charlatan would be cheering him to the rafters...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Nicky Morgan is a remarkable human being. She achieved what every teacher would willingly have sworn was impossible - being a worse Secretary of State for Education than Michael Gove.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think two facts are pertinent:

1) the EU now says No Deal is “likely”; and
    2) they have been preparing for no deal for over a year

When will we ever take the EU’s word for it?

The EU, especially the Heads of Government that call the shots, appear to have come to the end of their tether with the UK's dysfunctional government. This makes No Deal more likely unfortunately. They want a deal but they know they will get one on their terms anyway.
  • Options
    Hard to argue that the choice on Brexit is the alternatives that appear acceptable to the DUP - hard Brexit or no Brexit. Any softer form of Brexit like EFTA seems destined to be used by Remainers simply as a platform to take us back into the EU and as the EU don’t seem the least bit interested in any kind of trade deal, any kind of soft Brexit is increasingly anathema to the Brexit supporters.

At some stage, MPs are going to have to figure out how their actions are going to play out in an election which looks increasingly likely.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Grieve’s problem is not so much that he is opposed to May’s deal but he has led the charge in undermining his own Gov.

LOL

At worst, what Grieve has succeeded in doing is allow Parliament to "Take Back Control"

In criticism of Grieve, and not connected to his politics - 'Taking Back Control' for Parliament would only have been of use if the third rate Oedipus complexers could actually decide what the hell to do with it.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Jonathan said:

So when's the dementia tax legislation being introduced?
  • Options

At some stage, MPs are going to have to figure out how their actions are going to play out in an election which looks increasingly likely.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1111903785583022081
  • Options
    Brandon Lewis sounds like a sensible grown up. Backs Grieve. Glad there are a few left.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

LOL

How has parliament taken back control. It’s a shambles with all MPs options denied a majority last week and not one of them led by anyone with any negotiating authority with the EU. Grieve has undermined his own Gov. he is getting what he deserves.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Don't hit your arse on the way out
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

"He led by far the smaller of the charges undermining his own government", would be more accurate. But the real troublemakers always seem to get a free pass.
    By “troublemakers” I assume you mean those who support the manifesto upon which they were elected. Strange definition of troublemaker.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

A 3-line whip would do it. Probably needs to be taken out of the Constituency Parties’ hands
    Tories polishing the jack boots and ironing their brown shirts now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152
    Jonathan said:

Grieve’s failing is that he has insisted on MPs having a vote. He has been no ruder about the Tory manifesto than Ken Clarke.

Today’s Tory party has been taken over by UKIP. The nasty little rally in Parliament square last night with Farage talking about “enemy territory” and Tommy Robinson ranting about immigrants is where the road the Tories have embarked on leads to.
  • Options

Mr. B, yeah, I've had to log in twice a couple of times before but this was faintly ridiculous (tried a few times, did some other stuff, then tried again and it worked).

Mr. Jonathan, Grieve's typical of why MPs have failed the electorate. They lack the guts to revoke (with or without a referendum) or the integrity to actually go along with the decision that the electorate made and they themselves legislated for (both in holding the referendum and triggering Article 50).

Said it before, but the Commons needs to shit or get off the pot.

At this rate, we'll leave with no deal because they just can't agree anything else.

It will be in their breeks MD, when the penny drops that they have missed the bus and that the EU really were not kidding.

• Options
    Oh dear , is it any wonder we have cretins running the country.
This discussion has been closed.