Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON leadership betting analysis: This is less about Brexit and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON leadership betting analysis: This is less about Brexit and more about personal characteristics

Every day it seems we have a new potential candidate for the next Conservative leader. Liz Truss tells us how she will say what she wants and wear what she wants in the Sunday Times, Dominic Raab tells us what he will do about knife crime, Even IDS may be making a comeback (sorry, joke – I am assuming that was the April’s Fool Day story, right?)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    first
  • Options
    sixth whilst in the title race... briefly.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited April 2019
    Third like TMSD*

* Theresa May's Suboptimal Deal
  • Options
    So we're looking for a Tory MP who 'does human'? We could be looking a long time!
  • Options
    Boris does human in the sense of all the women he's shagged.

We need competence which rules out Boris.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Not only will Remainers not be on the leadership shortlist - I suspect they won't be so prevalent in the cabinet in 6 months.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

What's the appeal of Boris ? He's not even a proper brexiteer.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not sure any of the runners and riders are in contention to be Miss Congeniality.

Right now the public would accept someone who could walk and chew gum. Charm is currently superfluous.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Pulpstar said:

It's like asking what was the appeal of Himmler.

Some people just seem to rise inexplicably to positions of influence.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris is the remainer bogeyman for some reason - he's not going to win so not sure what the fuss is.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Not only will Remainers not be on the leadership shortlist - I suspect they won't be so prevalent in the cabinet in 6 months.

I'm not sure I share your confidence that the Conservatives will still be in power in 6 months.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He won London twice. But that was a long time ago.

I'm fairly confident if Boris stands he won't make the final two.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,135
    The thing I don't understand about this "it has to be a Brixiteer" strategy is that Conservative voters split 61/39 Leave/Remain. Disappearing off in a hard BREXIT direction, it doesn't take many of that 39% to sit on their hands (not even switch) at the next election, and the party is in opposition.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/01/brexit-latest-newsmps-take-back-control-commons-agenda-second/

Dozens of ministers prepare to back customs union tonight after being given a free vote
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited April 2019
    If the sole criteria for determining the next PM is their stance on Brexit the party might as well split now. It needs someone far more rounded than that and not the micro manager that May is. It’s a shame that no one from the back benches will get a look in. MPs like Sunak, Cleverley and Mercer who have lots of potential won’t be considered.

Most of the names are failures just jockeying for a future Cabinet place. Those with a genuine chance in my view are Boris, who is a marmite character, Raab, who is being wrongly smeared by May’s office, Hunt, who has done nothing except alienate the medical profession and junior doctors in particular, and Gove, whose credibility is shot having alienated the teachers and stabbed both Cameron and Boris in the back.

Who has got the best chance of uniting the party and beating Corbyn ? None of the above.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,974
    It might be easier to eliminate the impossibles and work back from there. The Saj, Rat Eyes and The Fireplace Salesman have surely all shat the bed by now. Gove is out due to being Boris' power bottom. The undead horde of the membership will surely want somebody as Leave as Fuck. Maybe Leadsome despite, or perhaps because of, her newfound predilection for wearing leather. Tories all go a bit Venus in Furs when the lights go out.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Amazing that Thornberry went into the usual Labour spiel about backing its own deal and when told by the interviewer that Labour hasn't put it forward this time, clearly wasn't aware.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Hmm, a sensible point, but the application of the point to the runners and riders strikes me as distinctly eccentric. Boris comes out well on the emotional warmth bit??? Really? The only emotional warmth he displays is towards his own career. And JRM is remarkably boring in person.

On the other side, one possible runner I have spent most of an evening with (sitting next to her at a small dinner party) is Amber Rudd, who is really good fun. Not only that, but she also comes across as genuinely caring in her public statements. If you were choosing on emotional warmth alone, I think she'd be the number one choice of those mentioned. Jeremy Hunt also scores quite well on the empathy stakes.

Still, whilst it is a sensible point, I don't think it's definitive in the current climate. Brexit, sadly, trumps everything.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris is the remainer bogeyman for some reason - he's not going to win so not sure what the fuss is.

When there is so much ire directed at someone the underlying motive is usually fear. He's the bogeyman because most remainers are not Tories and, for all his faults, they know he's the only one who could beat Corbyn.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

If he makes the final two and it goes to members I wouldn’t be so sure. I think the antipathy of Scottish Tories towards him however, on whom the parliamentary party is dependent, will stop that. Boris won’t like that but he could be kingmaker, but not leader.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/04/01/brexit-latest-newsmps-take-back-control-commons-agenda-second/

Dozens of ministers prepare to back customs union tonight after being given a free vote

Why oh why oh why. Have they not had the lecture on what a customs union is yet?

If we sign up to a 'permanent' customs union that will be an unstable solution once everyone works out what it means. And this whole saga will drag on.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    FPT
    TOPPING said:

» show previous quotes
    I hope you enjoy yourself Malc, and come back with renewed vim and vigour. Is your booking a top cabin with free refreshments the same as the free glass of champagne that is offered in business or first class air travel*?

*ie not free.

Topping,
    Well , as you say not free and exactly like your example. I could try to drink my weight etc but boss will have me on best behaviour with grandson there.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,282
    mwadams said:

The thing I don't understand about this "it has to be a Brixiteer" strategy is that Conservative voters split 61/39 Leave/Remain. Disappearing off in a hard BREXIT direction, it doesn't take many of that 39% to sit on their hands (not even switch) at the next election, and the party is in opposition.

It makes sense. The Tories will have to blame Theresa when Brexit turns out to be disastrous. That wouldn't be as effective coming from a Remainer. A Leaver however can say that Theresa never 'understood' Brexit and was actually unable to perceive the steps required to make it a delight.
  • Options

If the sole criteria for determining the next PM is their stance on Brexit the party might as well split now. It needs someone far more rounded than that and not the micro manager that May is. It’s a shame that no one from the back benches will get a look in. MPs like Sunak, Cleverley and Mercer who have lots of potential won’t be considered.

Most of the names are failures just jockeying for a future Cabinet place. Those with a genuine chance in my view are Boris, who is a marmite character, Raab, who is being wrongly smeared by May’s office, Hunt, who has done nothing except alienate the medical profession and junior doctors in particular, and Gove, whose credibility is shot having alienated the teachers and stabbed both Cameron and Boris in the back.

Who has got the best chance of uniting the party and beating Corbyn ? None of the above.

You are right that the party needs younger fresher leadership. But this normally only comes in opposition; very hard for a relatively inexperienced politician to drop into PM, and difficult for them to get the job without the network of potential patronage that the older politicians will have established.

The best political scenario for the Tories is that they get put into opposition by a John Major style temporary unity government, which abandons or significantly delays Brexit. This would open up their leadership contest and offer the best hope of holding most of the party together.

Actually delivering Brexit from its current position and with the likely accompanying real world damage is far more likely to split the party wide open.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2019

Ishmael_Z said:

Why oh why oh why. Have they not had the lecture on what a customs union is yet?

If we sign up to a 'permanent' customs union that will be an unstable solution once everyone works out what it means. And this whole saga will drag on.
    I suspect among the public there is a majority that can accept being out of the EU political structure and a majority that can accept being in the orbit of its economic ones. EFTA is the starting point for this. There is bound to be some instability about any outcome - including of course Remain. That's because we have been integrating for so long. Had it been done with our wholehearted consent we would not be in a situation where every outcome is unstable and non necessarily permanent.

• Options
    Cabinet to get free votes ?

At least we'll get to know what parliament REALLY thinks today.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

The proportion of Conservative voters who support Brexit has increased since then.
  • Options
    Bit of an R4 car crash by Thornberry - insisting that Labour's weekend discussions had agreed to table their Brexit again, then trying to excuse her ignorance by her busy morning of interviews, when the deadline for tabling the options was yesterday. Either she isn't in the loop, or Labour intended to put its proposal and cocked up, or Corbyn or someone very close to him changed course at the last minute?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

mwadams said:

The proportion of Conservative voters who support Brexit has increased since then.
    Largely because the remainers are going elsewhere.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    FPT
    viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cool. I went to the Gatow air museum the time before last, good if you like your aircraft in sweaty 'original' condition. Mostly Cold War stuff though they had older exhibits in the main hangar.

The USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB is the aircraft museum sans pareil. Just don't drive in the wrong gate unless you want an M4 stuck in your face by a 19 year old with poor trigger discipline. (Voice of experience)
    I would make a plea for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, both the one in Washington and the annex near the airport. 747s, Concorde, Space Shuttles, Apollo, SR71s, all the fun stuff. Plus it has the 707 prototype in the old Boeing banana-and-chocolate livery, which looked really good.
    That 707 is the very plane that Tex Johnson barrel-rolled at an air display. There's footage on youtube somewhere. Nutter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

mwadams said:

It's a two-way process.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You are right that the party needs younger fresher leadership. But this normally only comes in opposition; very hard for a relatively inexperienced politician to drop into PM, and difficult for them to get the job without the network of potential patronage that the older politicians will have established.

The best political scenario for the Tories is that they get put into opposition by a John Major style temporary unity government, which abandons or significantly delays Brexit. This would open up their leadership contest and offer the best hope of holding most of the party together.

Actually delivering Brexit from its current position and with the likely accompanying real world damage is far more likely to split the party wide open.
    Last time the Tories thought they needed a period in opposition they were in opposition for 13 years and ended up with Cameron on the back of one decent conference speech. Being in opposition to Blair and being in opposition to Corbyn are very different deals. I would like to see us avoid the latter but am not confident.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

Bit of an R4 car crash by Thornberry - insisting that Labour's weekend discussions had agreed to table their Brexit again, then trying to excuse her ignorance by her busy morning of interviews, when the deadline for tabling the options was yesterday. Either she isn't in the loop, or Labour intended to put its proposal and cocked up, or Corbyn or someone very close to him changed course at the last minute?

Eventually the penny will drop that Labour's Brexit policy is being run by Seumas Milne, not by the Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,000

IanB2 said:

Eventually the penny will drop that Labour's Brexit policy is being run by Seaumas Milne, not by the Shadow Cabinet.
    I don't think that's quite true. They wouldn't have been able to triangulate and zig-zag between positions as effectively if he were fully in charge.
  • Options
    So if Steve Baker is going resign the whip and vote against the government in a VONC who else do we think might join him from the Tory party?

God I hope Private Francois and Andrew Bridgen join him.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Hmm, a sensible point, but the application of the point to the runners and riders strikes me as distinctly eccentric. Boris comes out well on the emotional warmth bit??? Really? The only emotional warmth he displays is towards his own career. And JRM is remarkably boring in person.

On the other side, one possible runner I have spent most of an evening with (sitting next to her at a small dinner party) is Amber Rudd, who is really good fun. Not only that, but she also comes across as genuinely caring in her public statements. If you were choosing on emotional warmth alone, I think she'd be the number one choice of those mentioned. Jeremy Hunt also scores quite well on the empathy stakes.

Still, whilst it is a sensible point, I don't think it's definitive in the current climate. Brexit, sadly, trumps everything.

As a non-Tory I'd agree. Rudd can do human, and I suspect an evening with Gove would actually be quite fun too. Gove was very good at being flexible and able to deal with others during the coalition period. Gove's problems are how he comes across on TV and the fallout from the last contest. Edit/ and possibly his wife forever stirring behind the scenes.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,146
    I quite like Amber Rudd. She seems a bit more human than the others.

The only 2 Ministers who have put themselves forward repeatedly have been Rory Stewart and Tobias Ellwood, neither of them in the Cabinet, but willing to put themselves in the line of fire. Speaks well of them and very badly of Cabinet Ministers who have been silent or back-biting or speaking through others off the record.

Just to correct something that @Sean_F said on the previous thread: the laws I am talking about in relation to Parkfield are the laws which exist re homosexuality being legal, gay marriage being legal, discrimination against gay people being unlawful. The Parkfield protestors are, bluntly, protesting for the right to opt out of those laws. No.

The argument needs to be framed properly. This is not about the rights of parents to teach their children their religion since there is nothing to stop this. This is about whether religion should trump the state. And the answer is no. Just as we would not - or should not - tolerate parents agitating for their children not to be taught about Islam or not to have Muslim teachers or, heaven forfend, not having Muslim boys in their childrens' class because they might groom their girls, we should not tolerate Muslim parents agitating for their children not to be taught about homosexuality or not to have gay teachers or gay children in class.

Opting out of this fight out of fear or because the Minister won't win any kudos or because she's scared of being accused of islamophobia or racism or whatever is pathetic. That is not what leadership is. If you are in politics you have to deal with these difficult problems not run away. The problems will only get worse if we run away from them. Bullies need to be stood up to. There was a time when British politicians understood this in their bones.

If Mordaunt or Damian Hinds don't know what to say, I'll write the bloody speech for them.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mwadams said:

Disappearing off in a remain direction it doesn't take many brexiteers to sit on their hands at the next election, and the party is in opposition.

And for your information Tory voters only split 61/39 at the start of the Brexit process, when they were polling significantly less than the 40 odd percent of the last GE, and now as the brexiteer vote is unwinding. The only reason Corbyn didn't win is brexiteers returned to the Tories and boosted the ratio to 70/30.

How many party leaders in the Commons ate remainers? How many backed Leave?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789

So if Steve Baker is going resign the whip and vote against the government in a VONC who else do we think might join him from the Tory party?

Peter Bone, Bill Cash, Christopher Chope?
  • Options

That fucker Chope. And the terminally dim Jenkyns.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

When there is so much ire directed at someone the underlying motive is usually fear. He's the bogeyman because most remainers are not Tories and, for all his faults, they know he's the only one who could beat Corbyn.
    We've heard for 30 years that Ken Clarke would be the Con leader that Labour would fear.

Meh.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Last time the Tories thought they needed a period in opposition they were in opposition for 13 years and ended up with Cameron on the back of one decent conference speech. Being in opposition to Blair and being in opposition to Corbyn are very different deals. I would like to see us avoid the latter but am not confident.
    I don't think Major (or anyone else) has Corbyn lined up to lead a GNU!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Can we be that lucky?
  • Options

Dream on. Whenever does a parasite voluntarily leave its host?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

IanB2 said:

Eventually the penny will drop that Labour's Brexit policy is being run by Seaumas Milne, not by the Shadow Cabinet.
    I don't think that's quite true. They wouldn't have been able to triangulate and zig-zag between positions as effectively if he were fully in charge.
    Indeed. If they were in favour of No Deal, as oft asserted on here, why has there never been any kind of inkling of whipping for it?
    Or speaking in favour of it? Or of doing anything other than saying it needs to be ruled out at once?
    Labour leadership policy is to be in government.
    As for every opposition since time immemorial.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    TGOHF said:

Well Ukraine looks like electing a clown.

And you know the old saying, where Ukraine goes ...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Good post - Rudd is clearly the best candidate and, although I have not met her, I have heard similar testimonies vis a vis her character.

Sadly, as she is a sensible, pro-business, europhile moderate, she won't wash with the nutters who pollute your membership base these days Richard.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You vote against the Tory government in a VONC that's your career in the Tory party finished.

You have the whip removed and you cannot stand as a Tory candidate in a general election.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,197

The canvassing line is writing itself: "we got rid of those utter. utter tossers...."
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Truss is worth a punt imo, shes a strong woman without being a battle axe type, loves a bit of low tax and knows how the treasury works. Shed make a good compromise candidate.
    Of the main, hunt is for me strongest, followed by javid
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

mwadams said:

It's a two-way process.
    For sure. Hence Mansfield and Canterbury/Kensington.

The one thing Labour is getting right is to make sure that Brexit is increasingly seen as a Conservative project. Whatever type of Brexit finally transpires, it will have Tory fingerprints all over it and it is Conservative politicians who will be held to account for it. The only positive outcomes for the Tories are either a Brexit that, against expectations, actually turns out well, or a non-Brexit imposed upon them by the opposition.
  • Options
    So possibly Labour and SNP for Common Boles 2.0. TIG against. Anyone heard from the Lib Dems on this?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Absolutely. But there you are as a sensible (!) Tory MP trying to engender support for *an* option. Which would you choose?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

When they have succeeded in killing it
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The Tories can't pick someone who a lot of people already hate before they have even got started. That would rule out Boris, Gove, Hunt and possibly Javid after the last few months. That's four out of the top five favourites for the job. Raab is in a decent position as a relatively unknown Brexiteer, who remainers in the party could potentially trust.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

mwadams said:

Disappearing off in a remain direction it doesn't take many brexiteers to sit on their hands at the next election, and the party is in opposition.

And for your information Tory voters only split 61/39 at the start of the Brexit process, when they were polling significantly less than the 40 odd percent of the last GE, and now as the brexiteer vote is unwinding. The only reason Corbyn didn't win is brexiteers returned to the Tories and boosted the ratio to 70/30.

How many party leaders in the Commons ate remainers? How many backed Leave?
    *ARE remainers, ARE!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

You vote against the Tory government in a VONC that's your career in the Tory party finished.

You have the whip removed and you cannot stand as a Tory candidate in a general election.
    Which is why, despite your fervent fantasising, they won't go there.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Out of that lot Raab has the best chance I think as he's got the fewest enemies... Although the Murdoch press will support Hunt for what that's worth these days...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

He's pretty much said he would.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Out of that lot Raab has the best chance I think as he's got the fewest enemies... Although the Murdoch press will support Hunt for what that's worth these days...
    Rudd and Stewart are the two humans, and possibly Liddington aswell.

However I think only a publicly confirmed Brexiter will be supported.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

So possibly Labour and SNP for Common Boles 2.0. TIG against. Anyone heard from the Lib Dems on this?

Last time the LibDems only voted for the Revoke/referendum options. Despite being urged to wise up to the bigger picture as the SNP appears to be doing, the default for the LibDems remains the same as last time.

Edit/ Lamb I believe has signed up to CU/CM2
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Truss is worth a punt imo, shes a strong woman without being a battle axe type, loves a bit of low tax and knows how the treasury works. Shed make a good compromise candidate.

Truss is a bungling comedian.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It might be easier to eliminate the impossibles and work back from there. The Saj, Rat Eyes and The Fireplace Salesman have surely all shat the bed by now. Gove is out due to being Boris' power bottom. The undead horde of the membership will surely want somebody as Leave as Fuck. Maybe Leadsome despite, or perhaps because of, her newfound predilection for wearing leather. Tories all go a bit Venus in Furs when the lights go out.

I imagine that Leadsom, even without the leather, does score relatively well on that "Would you want to go for a drink with them?" test. She seems like pleasant and undemanding company.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Most of them will join Farage and the Brexit Party? ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Rudd and Stewart are the two humans.
    Johnny Mercer is a reasonable human and would solidify the southern and south western vote. Truss is very human. Moreso then Rudd for me. Rory is great but old etonian, that's problematic
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Neanderthals like Baker don’t seem to realise that the choice may end up being going for WA + CU with May, or VONCing May and then getting WA + CU with Corbyn, followed by a GE in which the Tories are thrashed.

As a Conservative, one seems clearly preferably to the other.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

And then wonder why they had spent their political lives arguing against PR.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

GIN1138 said:

However I think only a Brexiter will be supported.
    Rudd will be out at the next election. She's done.

Rory The Tory has no Cabinet experience.

Liddington? Can't see it but you never know...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

I think Raab will win too otherwise No 10 wouldn’t be trying to smear him. He’s a decent choice but not much record of achievement.
  • Options
    Interesting header and, I would imagine, much truth in it. I hope not, though, because if 'doing human' is key, my man Gove is going to struggle.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

He's pretty much said he would.
    Watch this space.
  • Options
    Winding your way down on Steve Baker's Street
    Light in your head and dead on your feet
    Well, another crazy day
    You'll drink the night away
    And forget about everything
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Raab is a lightweight and a moron. He couldn't hack it as Brexit secretary. Yeah: May undermined him. So what? He should have been a damn sight tougher. If he can't deal with that, he doesn't have the balls needed to be leader or PM.

Frankly, no-one in the Cabinet particularly impresses. The Tories are split, are messing up the country and need to go away into a darkened corner and grow up before bothering the rest of us.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I quite like Amber Rudd. She seems a bit more human than the others.

The only 2 Ministers who have put themselves forward repeatedly have been Rory Stewart and Tobias Ellwood, neither of them in the Cabinet, but willing to put themselves in the line of fire. Speaks well of them and very badly of Cabinet Ministers who have been silent or back-biting or speaking through others off the record.

Just to correct something that @Sean_F said on the previous thread: the laws I am talking about in relation to Parkfield are the laws which exist re homosexuality being legal, gay marriage being legal, discrimination against gay people being unlawful. The Parkfield protestors are, bluntly, protesting for the right to opt out of those laws. No.

The argument needs to be framed properly. This is not about the rights of parents to teach their children their religion since there is nothing to stop this. This is about whether religion should trump the state. And the answer is no. Just as we would not - or should not - tolerate parents agitating for their children not to be taught about Islam or not to have Muslim teachers or, heaven forfend, not having Muslim boys in their childrens' class because they might groom their girls, we should not tolerate Muslim parents agitating for their children not to be taught about homosexuality or not to have gay teachers or gay children in class.

Opting out of this fight out of fear or because the Minister won't win any kudos or because she's scared of being accused of islamophobia or racism or whatever is pathetic. That is not what leadership is. If you are in politics you have to deal with these difficult problems not run away. The problems will only get worse if we run away from them. Bullies need to be stood up to. There was a time when British politicians understood this in their bones.

If Mordaunt or Damian Hinds don't know what to say, I'll write the bloody speech for them.

What she said.

Education is contentious because the state's mandates and the parents' beliefs may collide. We have laws to protect gay rights and these trump religion. The UK is not a theocracy.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

They may have a career as MEP's, but they won't get enough votes to hold their seats/
  • Options

Suggest you watch Truss on last week's Peston.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stewart is. Rudd is an obnoxious buffoon.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

And then wonder why they had spent their political lives arguing against PR.
    They'd have proven themselves right to argue against it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

However I think only a Brexiter will be supported.
    Rudd will be out at the next election. She's done.

Rory The Tory has no Cabinet experience.

Liddington? Can't see it but you never know...
    Whatever happened to the boundary review proposal coming back to the Commons?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Suggest you watch Truss on last week's Peston.
    Haven't seen it so will give it a look
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

GIN1138 said:

Johnny Mercer is a reasonable human and would solidify the southern and south western vote. Truss is very human. Moreso then Rudd for me. Rory is great but old etonian, that's problematic
    But. You ignore the obvious and salient point that none of those three has ever held a big post in government. Only one has even been in the Cabinet. This is a PM we are talking about here.
    It is like looking for a new CEO, and scouting round the sales, warehouse or admin staff.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

They may have a career as MEP's, but they won't get enough votes to hold their seats/
    You don't think Con could be heading for a SLAB style meltdown for betraying the referendum?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stewart is hapless. Rudd, neither obnoxious nor a buffoon, would make an excellent PM.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I suspect among the public there is a majority that can accept being out of the EU political structure and a majority that can accept being in the orbit of its economic ones. EFTA is the starting point for this. There is bound to be some instability about any outcome - including of course Remain. That's because we have been integrating for so long. Had it been done with our wholehearted consent we would not be in a situation where every outcome is unstable and non necessarily permanent.

I can see EFTA being reasonably stable as it is an existing institution and has had time to mature, so we won't be able to attempt to change it from Day 1.

I can't see some horrendous bodge involving the CU being very attractive, particularly as our negotiators don't seem to be very good.

You are probably right, though. All solutions are unstable. The longer this uncivil war goes on the less stable any solution will be.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

Bit harsh on obnoxious buffoons that..

She's the female George Osborne without the safe word.

• Options
    Am I doing this right ?

Sell
    David Lidington11.19 £26.00 £264.83
    Amber Rudd16.00 £21.60 £324.00

Buy
    David Lidington55.00£3.00 £162.00
    Amber Rudd66.67£6.00 £394.00
  • Options

Anorak said:

Can we be that lucky?
    Also Daniel Kawczynski for his shocking and moronic lobbying of Poland to veto an extension.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

You don't think Con could be heading for a SLAB style meltdown for betraying the referendum?
    No, because they aren't betraying the referendum.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited April 2019
    Anorak said:

FPT

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cool. I went to the Gatow air museum the time before last, good if you like your aircraft in sweaty 'original' condition. Mostly Cold War stuff though they had older exhibits in the main hangar.

The USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB is the aircraft museum sans pareil. Just don't drive in the wrong gate unless you want an M4 stuck in your face by a 19 year old with poor trigger discipline. (Voice of experience)
    I would make a plea for the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, both the one in Washington and the annex near the airport. 747s, Concorde, Space Shuttles, Apollo, SR71s, all the fun stuff. Plus it has the 707 prototype in the old Boeing banana-and-chocolate livery, which looked really good.
    That 707 is the very plane that Tex Johnson barrel-rolled at an air display. There's footage on youtube somewhere. Nutter.
    Belatedly, Pima in Tucson is one of the most remarkable museums (aircraft or otherwise) I’ve ever visited. If one is ever in the area go.
    Some (many) unusual aircraft although disappointingly it doesn’t have the nuclear powered bomber.

Udvar-Hazy at Dulles is good but quite traditional in presentation.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

But. You ignore the obvious and salient point that none of those three has ever held a big post in government. Only one has even been in the Cabinet. This is a PM we are talking about here.
    It is like looking for a new CEO, and scouting round the sales, warehouse or admin staff.
    Normally yes but perhaps in these extraordinary times it's a clean sheet that the country needs. Politics has fallen so far it needs renewal.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Or meltdown for taking us out of the EU and the sunlit uplands not hoving into view. That is what people miss. Voters did not vote leave, they voted leave and for life to get better.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How many will have resigned by the end of it? :D
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

We're likely to get a PM - Corbyn - who has even less achievement to his name than any of these junior MPs. Frankly, those in Cabinet at the moment are pretty bloody useless. The Tories need to get rid of their loons and skip a generation. Or get in a short-term leader to steady the ship in the meanwhile: Ken Clarke.
  • Options

Would cheer me up that's for sure!
This discussion has been closed.