Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cooper-Letwin has probably killed Brexit

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    isam said:

isam said:

On topic, I don't think TMay would have crashed out when she could have extended, so it doesn't really matter what Cooper-Letwin do, although they've closed off one real but unlikely pathway to No Deal.

Brexit is on life support because the government, MPs, business, unions and the civil service and the rest of the EU never wanted to do it, and it was only happening because the voters wanted to do it, but faced with a specific thing the voters now don't want to do it either. It's only still a thing because of inertia, and it's safer for everybody to let it just grind slowly to a halt rather than throwing themselves in front of it.

Please tell me you’re not coming to the conclusion that “voters now don’t want to do it either” because of the view of people on opinion poll panels?
    Yes, opinion polls are a good way to poll opinion.

There are other good ways like having a national referendum, and there's a good argument that if you think opinion has changed you should have one of those rather than just revoking based on polling and the general vibe, but the evidence as it currently stands is that the voters would rather remain than do any specific brexit.
    They’re a good way of polling the opinion of people who are over engaged in politics.

I'm not saying they're perfect but in the absence of other evidence the natural assumption would be that people not on the panels move the same way as people who are, and if they're not the trend with people not on the panels could be moving away from Brexit just as easily as it could be moving towards it.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

isam said:

geoffw said:

What an excellent article Mr Herdson - one of the best I can remember on PB, and there have been many good ones. Well-reasoned, and very clearly set out.

Whether the projections are right of course, only time will tell.

Thanks!

Let me echo that, and thanks too to Stodge for an excellent comment.

Take away the impossible and all that remains is No Deal, Revoke or her deal.

Though it's not impossible, Revoke would be, to me, quite astonishing: the negation of the largest popular vote in UK history and sure political suicide for the Tory party and politicians. With the UK backed into the EU the popular clamour to get out and/or disrupt the EU project would rise to unbearable levels. Realising that makes it anathema not only to our (sensible) politicians but also to the (sensible) Europeans. So I think unless it is kicked yet again into the long grass, either the May-deal or No-deal will be decided next week.

I agree that Revoke is highly unlikely to happen, but I don't see it killing the Tories off if it did. One major lesson of the Newport West election, surely, is that the majority of people are just not that politically engaged. The Conservative party no longer exists as a meaningful single entity, but it continues to lead most polls and its vote held up pretty well on Thursday. FPTP invites people to vote against the worst option - and for many voters that will remain the Labour party (and vice versa, of course).

Yes, Labour and Tory probably only still exist because of tribal hatred of the other from people indoctrinated as children. If there are no chance of the other winning power, millions of people wouldn’t vote for ‘their’ Party

I think it's a lot more than tribal hatred and indoctrination. Labour got a lot of votes from people in 2017 who wanted to stop the kind of Brexit May was proposing at that time, or who wanted to stop the Dementia tax or whatever. Likewise, the Tories got a lot of votes because a lot of voters wanted to stop Corbyn. That's not tribal, it's rational, issues-based decision-making. The problem is the voting system. if you want serious change that has to go. While it remains the Tory and Labour hegemony is baked in.

100 years ago you'd have said that the Liberal and Tory hegemony was baked in. Then there was a major shake up......
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

"the Prime Minister and her advisers have pursued an approach that will now be used in university courses on international relations as a textbook case of how not to negotiate."

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Yet they got the agreement.

Its our politicians who don't want it.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2019

...... and it's safer for everybody to let it just grind slowly to a halt rather than throwing themselves in front of it.

Grind to a halt seems to be the most appropriate summary. Short-term incentives tend to delay, as all options on the table seem unpalatable. Meanwhile, for more strategic remainers there's the long-term incentive that endless delay will eventually lead to it being overturned - either through a referendum to break the impasse, or a new Labour leader using the issue to win an election.

Probably Brexit will happen in the next few weeks, or it never will. Thus the question: is there a common appetite between May and Corbyn to manipulate the HoC into choosing something?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Blimey, yesterday it was alleged Australian anglo-phobia, today whether it's ethical to eat meat.

You never know what filling you're going to get in your Brexit sandwich with PB!

I can go on about restoration of the Wuffingas kingdom of east Anglia if you like, I'm probably overdue
    Where would you find the descendants of the kings? Or would we start gain with a newly convened Witan?
    You can be pretty sure direct descendant of Wotan Seant will be in the mix.
    Danny Dyer?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Foxy said:

Dr. Foxy, humans are designed to eat both meat and fruit/vegetables. We're omnivorous by nature. If people choose to eschew meat, that's fair enough, but I'd strongly repudiate any suggestion eating meat is immoral.

Eating meat is a choice, we are not constrained by our biology.

I am not suggesting that it is immoral, though others might, but it is immoral to not consider the implications for animal welfare, and the health of the planet from excessive meat consumption.
    I’d say the morality, such as it is, is one of overpopulating the planet.
    Yes. Climate change is being driven by the increasing world population.
    Do you think that the similar populations of England and Tanzania are having a similar effect on climate change, or does level of resource usage per capita also have a place?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

geoffw said:

What an excellent article Mr Herdson - one of the best I can remember on PB, and there have been many good ones. Well-reasoned, and very clearly set out.

Thanks!

Though it's not impossible, Revoke would be, to me, quite astonishing: the negation of the largest popular vote in UK history and sure political suicide for the Tory party and politicians. With the UK backed into the EU the popular clamour to get out and/or disrupt the EU project would rise to unbearable levels. Realising that makes it anathema not only to our (sensible) politicians but also to the (sensible) Europeans. So I think unless it is kicked yet again into the long grass, either the May-deal or No-deal will be decided next week.

I agree that Revoke is highly unlikely to happen, but I don't see it killing the Tories off if it did. One major lesson of the Newport West election, surely, is that the majority of people are just not that politically engaged. The Conservative party no longer exists as a meaningful single entity, but it continues to lead most polls and its vote held up pretty well on Thursday. FPTP invites people to vote against the worst option - and for many voters that will remain the Labour party (and vice versa, of course).

The Tory vote did not hold up well, it lost nearly a quarter of voteshare against an opponent losing even more and that despite the unwinding of popular incumbency; that’s pretty much unheard of in a two horse race. The swing away from both parties was entirely consistent with the latest YouGov. The lesson of Newport seems to have been people are in a bit of a plague on all your houses mood. So the real issue is voters sitting on their hands. I suspect come a GE Labour will find it easier to pull back enough of the hand sitters than the Tories will.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Andrew said:

...... and it's safer for everybody to let it just grind slowly to a halt rather than throwing themselves in front of it.

Grind to a halt seems to be the most appropriate summary. Short-term incentives tend to delay, as all options on the table seem unpalatable. Meanwhile, for more strategic remainers there's the long-term incentive that endless delay will eventually lead to it being overturned - either through a referendum to break the impasse, or a new Labour leader using the issue to win an election.

Probably Brexit will happen in the next few weeks, or it never will. Thus the question: is there a common appetite between May and Corbyn to manipulate the HoC into choosing something?
    I think there's another window when the next leader after TMay takes over, assuming she doesn't go on and on. Tory members definitely want to do Brexit, and they'll have to tell a good story about how they're going to get it done if they want to get the job.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Blimey, yesterday it was alleged Australian anglo-phobia, today whether it's ethical to eat meat.

You never know what filling you're going to get in your Brexit sandwich with PB!

I can go on about restoration of the Wuffingas kingdom of east Anglia if you like, I'm probably overdue
    Where would you find the descendants of the kings? Or would we start gain with a newly convened Witan?
    Oh a newly convened Witan. Let the fittest rule.
    As for someone's suggestion of the Son of Wotan SeanT, hes disqualified by being a pasty munching peninsular boy. Wrong arse end of the island
  • Options
    edited April 2019

geoffw said:

Thanks!

The Tory vote did not hold up well, it lost nearly a quarter of voteshare against an opponent losing even more, despite the unwinding of popular incumbency; that’s pretty much unheard of in a two horse race. The swing away from both parties was entirely consistent with the latest YouGov. The lesson of Newport seems to have been people are in a bit of a plague on all your houses mood. So the real issue is voters sitting on their hands. I suspect come a GE Labour will find it easier to pull back enough of the hand sitters than the Tories will.
    Yes, the nominal swing to Con is a bit of an odd way to express a swing against both parties.

Con voters are both more reliable at turning out and also less willing to vote tactically. Brexit will be damaging for the Tories but not an extinction event.
  • Options

"the Prime Minister and her advisers have pursued an approach that will now be used in university courses on international relations as a textbook case of how not to negotiate."

Goodwin in the Telegraph

May failed hugely to negotiate support in the HoC.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Thanks!

The Tory vote did not hold up well, it lost nearly a quarter of voteshare against an opponent losing even more, despite the unwinding of popular incumbency; that’s pretty much unheard of in a two horse race. The swing away from both parties was entirely consistent with the latest YouGov. The lesson of Newport seems to have been people are in a bit of a plague on all your houses mood. So the real issue is voters sitting on their hands. I suspect come a GE Labour will find it easier to pull back enough of the hand sitters than the Tories will.
    Yes, the nominal swing to Con is a bit of an odd way to express a swing against both parties.

Con voters are both more reliable at turning out and also less willing to vote tactically. Brexit will be damaging for the Tories but not an extinction event.
    Con voters are both more reliable at turning out... in foul weather, which I believe it was. I think their result may have flattered their true position. It helped May puncture the ERG naysayers a bit though.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Norm said:

Norm said:

stodge said:

Okay, back to the politics. :)

In any case, as I've said repeatedly, the Commons voting down No Deal or making it "illegal" is akin to trying to legislate against rain. IF we do not have a WA in place and IF we can't get an extension from the EU, we leave next Friday evening.

I think there's a growing constituency for that - for the LEAVE supporter, No Deal looks the only way to leave at all currently. Extensions look and feel like attempts to thwart the process so have to be resisted. I agree most LEAVE supporters would have baulked at No Deal a few months ago but as the options have narrowed it looks the only clear way to ensure their choice is enacted.

The second group swinging to No Deal are those fed up with the whole thing. The "let's get it over with" Party are unfocused but popular. They contain both LEAVE and REMAIN supporters who simply feel the Government has other things it should be doing and are tired of the constant coverage of what seems to them to be a simple thing. Most would have been happy to see the WA passed.

Limiting the options polarises opinions - we all know this. On the other side, revocation has emerged as an option. Cancel it all, scrap it all, end it all - it sounds so easy but it would be political suicide for May and the Conservatives so it won't happen.

With the WA unable to clear the Commons, it's therefore down to May and the EU - Parliament is irrelevant now and may as well have packed up for Easter yesterday. I was puzzled by the 30/6 extension which made no sense but I presume it was a desperate attempt to hold the Cabinet together. Tusk, who has been more of a friend to the UK in this than many realise, has thrown a potential lifeline but plenty in the EU seemingly also want this over with.

I can't with certainty say that this time next week we will still be in the EU and that's astonishing and a measure of failure in and of itself.

I'd actually now argue those in the EU who want this over and done with are being more of a friend to the UK than Mr Tusk with his interminable flextension.
    No Donald Tusk is the realist. People who want it over and done with are simply not taking into account the fact that this issue is still hotly contested and until a consensus emerges it will continue to disrupt the EU quite badly while completely wrecking any kind of progress on anything political in the UK.
    The best way to get the first stage over and done with is by accepting the WA. That is more likely if the EU say no more.
    It makes more sense not to start the first stage until we are clearly committed to continuing the whole process. Opinion isn't moving much, but the direction of travel clearly isn't in favour of Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

The article also mentions America has Trump, Brazil Bolsonaro etc. If Article 50 is revoked as looks increasingly possible I would expect we would follow them and Italy with Salvini etc with a surge for a right-wing populist like Boris or Farage
    I really think Boris is done. I don't know why JRM is supporting him - I suppose it just suits him for the time being not to stick his head above the parapet.
    Oh no, absolutely not. Boris already leads Tory members and Tory voters polls, the more Brexit is delayed, if it is not revoked and cancelled completely, the more Boris' chances grow as Tory members and indeed many MPs will not touch any Cabinet member with a barge pole and Boris becomes the best if not the only chance to keep Corbyn out of No 10
  • Options

Goodwin in the Telegraph

True but she can't be blamed that the ERG meekly supported what she was doing and then had their tantrum when the negotiation was complete.

They should have opposed May from 2016 onwards if they wanted their 100% Hard Brexit rather than May's 80% Hard Brexit.

But, of course, back in 2016 they would have been cheering May's Deal to the rafters.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Thanks!

But I suspect a large number of the voters the Cons are shedding are Cons who switched to UKIP at their zenith and returned after the referendum. So actually they may very well be willing never to return.

Kind of depends on what you mean by extinction level event; I doubt the Tories are going to be in LD territory any time soon, but they may not ever be a party of government again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Thanks!

Though it's not impossible, Revoke would be, to me, quite astonishing: the negation of the largest popular vote in UK history and sure political suicide for the Tory party and politicians. With

But I suspect a large number of the voters the Cons are shedding are Cons who switched to UKIP at their zenith and returned after the referendum. So actually they may very well be willing never to return.

Kind of depends on what you mean by extinction level event; I doubt the Tories are going to be in LD territory any time soon, but they may not ever be a party of government again.
    They will be unless they get overtaken by a new party like Farage's new Brexit Party as the main party of the right, or end up only getting into power after merging with the latter
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153

Goodwin in the Telegraph

True but she can't be blamed that the ERG meekly supported what she was doing and then had their tantrum when the negotiation was complete.

They should have opposed May from 2016 onwards if they wanted their 100% Hard Brexit rather than May's 80% Hard Brexit.

But, of course, back in 2016 they would have been cheering May's Deal to the rafters.
    The Mansionhouse speech was nothing like how the WA turned out.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited April 2019

Dr. Foxy, excessive consumption of anything is bad for you.

I have some sympathy with a vegetarian perspective (although not technically required by it, Buddhism was the only religion I ever gave serious thought to adopting). The desire to control the behaviour of others or to hector those with the temerity to disagree is an unpleasant side of a vocal minority, though. And nothing persuades me less than a combination of emotional blackmail and authoritarian arrogance. The concept my diet should be determined by strangers high on their own holiness is not an impressive one.

Mr. Royale, I hope this wasn't your intention but that does read a little as an implied criticism of Mr. NorthWales, who is nothing if not civilised.

Dogmatic animal rights rants grate my goat.

I expect better of someone of Mr. NorthWales’s intelligence.
    Excuse me. It is not a rant when we as a family object to the unnecesary maiming and killing of horses in the grand national. I have no problem with horse racing, just the killing
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,092

It does make me laugh when pro-Remain posters paste a link to a Guardian article about Brexit as an objective source.

It's like me linking to the Express.
    It inspires a little titter from me when Brexiteers characterise what is essentially a list of quotes from world media as subjective Remain propaganda.

At least we've not reached the stage where linking to those quotes is considered traitorous. Probably.
    Um, unless it's all the quotes on the subject, from all the world media, ever, then of course subjective is what it is. What do you think it is?
    As suggested by someone else, it would be good to get a list of pieces from the world media giving opposing views about the state the UK is in for a more 'objective' view.

I thought the most amusing section in the Guardian list was from the Russian commentator.

'Beyond Britain’s former empire, reactions have been just as forthright. After the 2016 Brexit referendum, Russia’s most recognisable television host, Dmitry Kiselyov, enthusiastically hailed a result delivered by “the bold British”.

Now even the veteran propagandist is looking a bit bored, barely needing to twist the facts to achieve his main goal: making the UK appear a complete basket case. “Our ideas of a certain civilised way of doing business in the west are once again being challenged,” he said last month.'

This lad seems to agree with the Guardian's world media digest.

https://twitter.com/RaheemKassam/status/1113807605355483136

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

isam said:

isam said:

On topic, I don't think TMay would have crashed out when she could have extended, so it doesn't really matter what Cooper-Letwin do, although they've closed off one real but unlikely pathway to No Deal.

Brexit is on life support because the government, MPs, business, unions and the civil service and the rest of the EU never wanted to do it, and it was only happening because the voters wanted to do it, but faced with a specific thing the voters now don't want to do it either. It's only still a thing because of inertia, and it's safer for everybody to let it just grind slowly to a halt rather than throwing themselves in front of it.

Please tell me you’re not coming to the conclusion that “voters now don’t want to do it either” because of the view of people on opinion poll panels?

There are other good ways like having a national referendum, and there's a good argument that if you think opinion has changed you should have one of those rather than just revoking based on polling and the general vibe, but the evidence as it currently stands is that the voters would rather remain than do any specific brexit.
    They’re a good way of polling the opinion of people who are over engaged in politics.

I'm not saying they're perfect but in the absence of other evidence the natural assumption would be that people not on the panels move the same way as people who are, and if they're not the trend with people not on the panels could be moving away from Brexit just as easily as it could be moving towards it.
    My view is that polling on hypotheticals/events far into the future is pretty pointless. The last three UK GE's and the EU referendum turned out almost completely differently to how the polls predicted they would by that measure. I realise people on here put a lot of faith in them, and I dont want to get into a big argument about it, its just the way I (dont) use them
  • Options

geoffw said:

Thanks!

The Tory vote did not hold up well, it lost nearly a quarter of voteshare against an opponent losing even more and that despite the unwinding of popular incumbency; that’s pretty much unheard of in a two horse race. The swing away from both parties was entirely consistent with the latest YouGov. The lesson of Newport seems to have been people are in a bit of a plague on all your houses mood. So the real issue is voters sitting on their hands. I suspect come a GE Labour will find it easier to pull back enough of the hand sitters than the Tories will.
    UKIP increased their number of votes by a factor of 1.8 on half the previous turnout. The only other party to increase votes in any substantial way were the Greens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

It was a big mistake pandering to her nutters when she should have been doing the opposite
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

My view is that polling on hypotheticals/events far into the future is pretty pointless. The last three UK GE's and the EU referendum turned out almost completely differently to how the polls predicted they would by that measure. I realise people on here put a lot of faith in them, and I dont want to get into a big argument about it, its just the way I (dont) use them
    So you don't exclude the possibility that Remain could win 70-30 in a second referendum?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So you don't exclude the possibility that Remain could win 70-30 in a second referendum?
    I don't like to spoil anyone's wet dreams, so crack on
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

It was a big mistake pandering to her nutters when she should have been doing the opposite
    Sorry, I meant her Lancaster House speech.
    How did it "pander to her nutters"?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Are you really saying you thought that May was negotiating towards a different result ?

You only have to think back to May's comments about "red, white and blue Brexit" and "Brexit means Brexit" to see that she was going to negotiate flexibly and arrive at a compromise agreement.

Personally I'm a little surprised that May's Deal is actually so far to the Hard end of the spectrum.
  • Options

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Thanks!

Con voters are both more reliable at turning out... in foul weather, which I believe it was. I think their result may have flattered their true position. It helped May puncture the ERG naysayers a bit though.
    Important to remember also a significant fraction of the votes were likely postal, so not necessarily “up to date” as it were.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

geoffw said:

Thanks!

Yes, describing a loss of nearly 10,000 votes as "held up pretty well" doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

CD13 said:

Overall, the view I'm getting from others (and it may be my echo chamber) is that Labour are pro-Remain, the Tories are pro-Leave, May is trying to keep her party intact, and Jezza is just playing silly buggers.

Blame will be attached accordingly

It is different in my echo chamber.

People are sick of this incompetent farce by the Tories, no one blames Labour for a Tory/UKIP fiasco. They just want it over, and no longer care how.

My killer bit of anecdata: My secretary (Sixty something, horsey set, Tory voting, ex police) has signed the Revoke petition.
    Its easy to write that, not sure its true. Most think a plague on all their houses. Corbyn is just as intransigent.
    Sure, we all know that, but when governments screw up it is not the opposition that gets the blame.

May's sole tactic has been to bludgeon her deal through by running down the clock, but the EU27 are only going to let No Deal happen by a conscious UK choice. Her tactic has repeatedly failed, yet she sticks to it.

May cannot command control of her own cabinet. This is a disintegrating government. Labour cannot be blamed for that, merely for exploiting the situation.

Very partisan post and there is no indication labour are being absolved of blame. Both parties are plummeting in the polls, TM is ahead of Corbyn, and the Newport by election demonstrated a swing to the conservatives in a rock sold labour seat

It is time supporters of both the main parties accepted that between them they have failed the country and each deserves to reap the reward at the ballot box at the next GE
    Newport West is far from being a rock solid Labour seat - more a semi-marginal that was Tory -held from 1983 to 1987.I strongly suspect that in Wales Labour is held back by having been running the Welsh Assembly for twent years - though that would probably be much less relevant in a general election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Especially when the country was so divided. After all Leave's majority wasn't much more than marginal.
  • Options

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Are you really saying you thought that May was negotiating towards a different result ?

You only have to think back to May's comments about "red, white and blue Brexit" and "Brexit means Brexit" to see that she was going to negotiate flexibly and arrive at a compromise agreement.

Personally I'm a little surprised that May's Deal is actually so far to the Hard end of the spectrum.
    Lancaster House only mentions the Irish border in terms of the CTA. There is nothing on the GFA or the dreaded backstop trap into which she stumbled during the negotiations.
  • Options
    Britain 'will run out of fish and chips' under no deal Brexit

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/britain-will-run-fish-chips-no-deal-brexit-180348350.html
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Especially when the country was so divided. After all Leave's majority wasn't much more than marginal.
    Exactly so. And that should have been the first item on the leavers' agenda. How do you build the support for such a huge and hazardous project?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

It does make me laugh when pro-Remain posters paste a link to a Guardian article about Brexit as an objective source.

It inspires a little titter from me when Brexiteers characterise what is essentially a list of quotes from world media as subjective Remain propaganda.

At least we've not reached the stage where linking to those quotes is considered traitorous. Probably.
    Um, unless it's all the quotes on the subject, from all the world media, ever, then of course subjective is what it is. What do you think it is?
    As suggested by someone else, it would be good to get a list of pieces from the world media giving opposing views about the state the UK is in for a more 'objective' view.

I thought the most amusing section in the Guardian list was from the Russian commentator.

'Beyond Britain’s former empire, reactions have been just as forthright. After the 2016 Brexit referendum, Russia’s most recognisable television host, Dmitry Kiselyov, enthusiastically hailed a result delivered by “the bold British”.

Now even the veteran propagandist is looking a bit bored, barely needing to twist the facts to achieve his main goal: making the UK appear a complete basket case. “Our ideas of a certain civilised way of doing business in the west are once again being challenged,” he said last month.'

Right ok, long post rather than admit you were wrong?
  • Options

But Britain is a global laughing stock as a result of Brexit.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    edited April 2019

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Exactly so. And that should have been the first item on the leavers' agenda. How do you build the support for such a huge and hazardous project?
    For some of us it was. Then the Tory party chose May as leader and any chance of compromise went up in smoke
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

Feel free to post your own list of admiring articles on our dash for freedom...

• Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

For some of us it was. Then the Tory party chose May as leader and any chance of compromise went up in smoke
    You don't think the xenophobic campaign had anything to do with it?
  • Options
    So what you're saying David is that Cooper-Letwin was in fact a Cooper D'Etat.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

Lancaster House only mentions the Irish border in terms of the CTA. There is nothing on the GFA or the dreaded backstop trap into which she stumbled during the negotiations.
    The 'dreaded backstop' LOL.

Possible future alignment on some widget regulations in a few years for a few years.

Instead you would prefer Liam Fox attempting to conduct trade deals.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

But not on a large scale. A mini Cooper, you might say.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited April 2019

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

How can anyone say the Leave campaigns ran xenophobic campaigns is beyond me.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

So a Mini Cooper D'Etat.

That's brilliant.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

The irony is had one of the Tory leavers been anointed we may well have ended up with a compromise with them selling it as the best they could get. There may have been grumbling but it could have got enough support to get over the line.

Everything that has happened since however has trashed trust in politicians and only hardened attitudes.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

I have some sympathy with a vegetarian perspective (although not technically required by it, Buddhism was the only religion I ever gave serious thought to adopting). The desire to control the behaviour of others or to hector those with the temerity to disagree is an unpleasant side of a vocal minority, though. And nothing persuades me less than a combination of emotional blackmail and authoritarian arrogance. The concept my diet should be determined by strangers high on their own holiness is not an impressive one.

Mr. Royale, I hope this wasn't your intention but that does read a little as an implied criticism of Mr. NorthWales, who is nothing if not civilised.

Excuse me. It is not a rant when we as a family object to the unnecesary maiming and killing of horses in the grand national. I have no problem with horse racing, just the killing
    Read this:
    https://www.grandnational.org.uk/grand-national-deaths-safety-welfare.php

There haven't been any deaths in the Grand National for 7 years and the survival rate has been well over 98% over the last 20 years. The organisers are constantly assessing the right balance of safety and challenge in the race. Horses are graceful animals that jump as well as run - just as they do in the wild, without the veterinary care - and due to their bone structure that does carry some risk. As long as their welfare is taken care of and they enjoy the race there's nothing wrong with that.

Regarding my frustration: this is a betting website. I came on here to get tips from esteemed and experienced punters, and not have that insight derailed by a hyperbolic debate that's high on emotion and very low on facts re: animal rights. You did exactly the same last year.

I'd hope you'd show a bit more respect for those of us that love the horses and the sport and save it for another day.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,199

I think Blind Brexit is the most accurate description for the Maybot 'deal' because the Future Relationship is up for grabs and depends very much on the PM and the government (and the parliament) we have in place for Phase 2.

It can look Hard or Soft depending on how it catches the light and on who is doing the looking. It is Hard because the language in the Political Declaration speaks of leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. But it is Soft because the legally binding Irish Backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement steers to the UK remaining in the Customs Union for the foreseeable future.

This could have been clever since it allows both sides to see what they want. By the same token it is not so clever in that it allows both sides to see what they do NOT want and unfortunately (for the Absolute Girl) it has gone that way. It looks Soft to the Hard Nuts and Hard to the Softies. Or even if it doesn't it allows them to argue that way for their own partisan purposes.

Still, it is not dead. As a package it probably is but not the Withdrawal Agreement. That remains very much alive and kicking unless and until we either leave the EU without a deal or revoke article 50 and stay.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

It might have been helpful if some Remainers hadn't pedaled ever lie they could think of in the aftermath of the Referendum.

Its difficult to 'reach out' to people like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGggnF0WAc
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Not sure why you'd expect me to spend my time trying to prove what would be obvious to a GCSE history student? A collection of quotes from a newspaper is clearly a subjective source of information. Nobody here would describe it anything else, and it's absurd that Union Divvy can't just admit he 'misspoke' or whatever he wants to call it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I'll leave pure objectivity to you aggregators of 'quotes on the subject, from all the world media, ever'. Meanwhile, if you could just provide one link to a piece saying how swimmingly Brexit is going from that massive database you've put together, that would be great.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

It might have been helpful if some Remainers hadn't pedaled ever lie they could think of in the aftermath of the Referendum.

Sounds very much like what Boris Johnson was saying after the referendum.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2016/06/26/i-cannot-stress-too-much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

A lot of people on the Remain side think it is racist and xenophobic to want immigration controls that are tighter than FOM. As FOM was the entire reason the referendum was being held, and Leaves best chance of winning was to major on immigration, it was inevitable the campaign would be called racist and xenophobic
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I think Blind Brexit is the most accurate description for the Maybot 'deal' because the Future Relationship is up for grabs and depends very much on the PM and the government (and the parliament) we have in place for Phase 2.

It can look Hard or Soft depending on how it catches the light and on who is doing the looking. It is Hard because the language in the Political Declaration speaks of leaving the Single Market and the Customs Union. But it is Soft because the legally binding Irish Backstop in the Withdrawal Agreement steers to the UK remaining in the Customs Union for the foreseeable future.

This could have been clever since it allows both sides to see what they want. By the same token it is not so clever in that it allows both sides to see what they do NOT want and unfortunately (for the Absolute Girl) it has gone that way. It looks Soft to the Hard Nuts and Hard to the Softies. Or even if it doesn't it allows them to argue that way for their own partisan purposes.

Still, it is not dead. As a package it probably is but not the Withdrawal Agreement. That remains very much alive and kicking unless and until we either leave the EU without a deal or revoke article 50 and stay.
    Certainly - the future relationship was always going to be 'up for grabs' in future years just as anything government does is dependent upon the prevailing political view in future years.

And this is one of the mistakes of the ERG mindset - having a crash out No Deal doesn't guarantee the UK being out of the EU forever but rather increases the risks of rejoining quickly if things go wrong.

What May's Deal does is allow an orderly exit and creates a starting point towards the Hard level of Brexit.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Not sure why you'd expect me to spend my time trying to prove what would be obvious to a GCSE history student? A collection of quotes from a newspaper is clearly a subjective source of information. Nobody here would describe it anything else, and it's absurd that Union Divvy can't just admit he 'misspoke' or whatever he wants to call it.
    I don’t expect anything from you. But if you engage in a debate, it’s not particularly convincing to expect your opponents to do all the work for you.

And your quibbling is pretty feeble.
    The basic point seems to be true - internationally the reaction to Brexit (Russia and Trump excepted) appears to be a mixture of puzzlement, dismay and mockery.

As I said, feel freee to prove us wrong.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

Read this:

There haven't been any deaths in the Grand National for 7 years and the survival rate has been well over 98% over the last 20 years. The organisers are constantly assessing the right balance of safety and challenge in the race. Horses are graceful animals that jump as well as run - just as they do in the wild, without the veterinary care - and due to their bone structure that does carry some risk. As long as their welfare is taken care of and they enjoy the race there's nothing wrong with that.

Regarding my frustration: this is a betting website. I came on here to get tips from esteemed and experienced punters, and not have that insight derailed by a hyperbolic debate that's high on emotion and very low on facts re: animal rights. You did exactly the same last year.

I'd hope you'd show a bit more respect for those of us that love the horses and the sport and save it for another day.
    http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

Two horses were killed at Aintree yesterday.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2016/06/26/i-cannot-stress-too-much-that-britain-is-part-of-europe--and-alw/
    That article is behind a paywall but did Boris really say that there were no strawberries for Wimbledon because of Brexit as Vince Cable claimed ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I don’t expect anything from you. But if you engage in a debate, it’s not particularly convincing to expect your opponents to do all the work for you.

The basic point seems to be true - internationally the reaction to Brexit (Russia and Trump excepted) appears to be a mixture of puzzlement, dismay and mockery.

And subjective doesn't mean biased, necessarily. They could easily be entirely representative.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited April 2019
    My Grand National bet is on Blow By Blow boosted to 100/1.

Went e/w.

Not expecting to win.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

So a Mini Cooper D'Etat.

That's brilliant.
    Mini Cooper D'Etat, made by Germany?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Read this:

I'd probably start watching football if the players had a 98% survival rate. Much more exciting!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,768
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

On the basis of your last sentence you should be a vegan then.

Racehorses are extremely well cared for and looked after. Welfare is taken extremely seriously. The National does not “kill or maim horses”, and such incidents remain a rare event.

A measure of that is or should be the number of those being pulled up as against those falling.

Jockeys, who are both superb horsemen and trained athletes, know when the horse has done its bit and it's time to call it a day. Ruby Walsh knew FAUGHEEN wasn't right on Thursday and pulled him out of the race. Even in the Foxhunters where the riders are amateur, a number called it a day before the last two.

Yet it is a sport with risk - it would be impossible to remove the risk without destroying the sport as we saw yesterday. I sincerely hope every horse in every race (not just the National) comes back safe and sound.

As an aside, if you want to buy a horse, racehorses that failed to make the grade are a good choice, as they're cheap, and very well socialised..
    If only they had better feet.
    They have these "hooves" things. They're horses.

[Ah, my coat... :) ]
    The hoof is the hard exterior. The whole thing is a foot.
    Weirdly, the hoof is the hard exterior of...the middle finger. Horses feet have mutated ove the aeons: the I, II, IV and V digits have been lost, and what we call the "hoof" is a keratinised outlayer of the end of the remaining middle finger.
  • Options

Read this:

I'd probably start watching football if the players had a 98% survival rate. Much more exciting!
    Motor racing would be.

Otherwise its Kwik-fit turned into a sport :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Racehorses are extremely well cared for and looked after. Welfare is taken extremely seriously. The National does not “kill or maim horses”, and such incidents remain a rare event.

A measure of that is or should be the number of those being pulled up as against those falling.

Jockeys, who are both superb horsemen and trained athletes, know when the horse has done its bit and it's time to call it a day. Ruby Walsh knew FAUGHEEN wasn't right on Thursday and pulled him out of the race. Even in the Foxhunters where the riders are amateur, a number called it a day before the last two.

Yet it is a sport with risk - it would be impossible to remove the risk without destroying the sport as we saw yesterday. I sincerely hope every horse in every race (not just the National) comes back safe and sound.

As an aside, if you want to buy a horse, racehorses that failed to make the grade are a good choice, as they're cheap, and very well socialised..

Weirdly, the hoof is the hard exterior of...the middle finger. Horses feet have mutated ove the aeons: the I, II, IV and V digits have been lost, and what we call the "hoof" is a keratinised outlayer of the end of the remaining middle finger.
    Wow. You've nailed our scientific fact for today.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,199

Certainly - the future relationship was always going to be 'up for grabs' in future years just as anything government does is dependent upon the prevailing political view in future years.

And this is one of the mistakes of the ERG mindset - having a crash out No Deal doesn't guarantee the UK being out of the EU forever but rather increases the risks of rejoining quickly if things go wrong.

What May's Deal does is allow an orderly exit and creates a starting point towards the Hard level of Brexit.

It does. And if they have confidence in their vision they ought to be going for it. Get out, diverge over the years and decades to come, based on events, trends, elections etc. Took us nearly half a century to integrate this far, why assume that the opposite should take less than 5 years. Seems a bit silly. And one thing is absolutely certain, if you don't get out you do not diverge at all. We are not going through this again.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

IanB2 said:

geoffw said:

Goodwin in the Telegraph

That article is behind a paywall but did Boris really say that there were no strawberries for Wimbledon because of Brexit as Vince Cable claimed ?
    Vince Cable said there would be a strawberry shortage because the pickers were European.
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/87184/hard-brexit-threatens-strawberry-shortage-wimbledon-vince
  • Options

Read this:

Couldn't be more boring.

There was of course a time when an F1 driver had only a 33% chance of surviving a career in the sport.
  • Options

Read this:

For cricket a much lower percentage would surely be needed.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,121

Read this:

Maybe if the refs had a beeping device that, one in fifty times, confirmed they were allowed to whip out a Luger and shoot a diving player. I suspect he wouldn't get a chance to use it.....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Read this:

Cricketers have of course been killed in the recent past:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Hughes
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

[buffs nails modestly]

...oh. Oh. I see what you did there. I just got that... :)
  • Options

Read this:

Maybe if the refs had a beeping device that, one in fifty times, confirmed they were allowed to whip out a Luger and shoot a diving player. I suspect he wouldn't get a chance to use it.....
    A Luger isn't a good choice. It needs very strong hands and high power ammo to avoid a jam. .22LR S&W Model 617 would be fine.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Read this:

The 1974-79 parliament had a survival rate of less than 98%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_by-elections_(1950–79)#47th_Parliament_(October_1974–1979)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

[buffs nails modestly]

One tries. :smile:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Read this:

Indeed. Dull dull dull dull violent death dull dull boring dull dull somebody catches a ball dull dull lose will to live dull dull dull... :)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The 1974-79 parliament had a survival rate of less than 98%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_by-elections_(1950–79)#47th_Parliament_(October_1974–1979)
    Although Guy Fawkes attempted to make the survival rate of the Blessed Parliament somewhat lower.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

A Luger isn't a good choice. It needs very strong hands and high power ammo to avoid a jam. .22LR S&W Model 617 would be fine.
    On the contrary; the possibility of a jam might add to the excitement. And provide a sporting chance of survival.

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Read this:

But I'm thinking the high power ammo would look good on hi-def TV.....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

"Galway Farmer" by "Show of Hands"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mua_PDkqcrs
  • Options
    UK's new national security strategy unveiled.

https://twitter.com/kriekstina/status/1114211350153179136
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And subjective doesn't mean biased, necessarily. They could easily be entirely representative.
    Yes, they could be. The point was that Union Divvy said it wasn't subjective. Whereas, as you appear to concede, an article in a national newspaper is the definition of subjective. Discussion of these topics would be easier and more pleasant if people simply acknowledged when they made a mistake. Some people seem incapable of that, and it's a weakness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

[buffs nails modestly]

I was always confident of your ability to shoehorn a keratin related pun into the discussion.

• Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, they could be. The point was that Union Divvy said it wasn't subjective. Whereas, as you appear to concede, an article in a national newspaper is the definition of subjective. Discussion of these topics would be easier and more pleasant if people simply acknowledged when they made a mistake. Some people seem incapable of that, and it's a weakness.
    Of course it was subjective,

Nevertheless the substantive point stands. The Conservatives with their Brexit obsession have reduced our once respected nation to the pity and ridicule of the world. They deserve to be out of office until everyone posting on this forum is dead and buried.
  • Options

The point was that Union Divvy said it wasn't subjective.

Where did I say that?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    I see Philip Hammond is on manoeuvres again saying government now has ‘no red lines’
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    One of the things that will interest me about the next General Election is whether, should Mr Herdson transpire to be correct and Brexit ends up never happening, there is any significant decrease in turnout.

It's often said that, for many people, the referendum represented the first time in their lives that they believed that their vote actually counted for something. This is particularly thought to be the case for less well-off voters, particularly those in Northern constituencies with enormous Labour majorities, but actually I can identify with them as well. I'm a comfortably off voter in a southern English town where the local Conservative MP, and Conservative control of both the County and District Council (not that councils matter much anyway,) would all survive a nuclear holocaust. I had no strong feelings about the poll on the change of the voting system either, and therefore the EU referendum did genuinely feel like the first and only time I was ever consulted in a meaningful way about any political decision.

I voted to leave the EU and, if Mr Herdson is right (which he may well be) and Parliament is effectively given as much can-kicking time as it wants to wriggle out of the decision altogether, then we're not going to. Having previously been a civic duty voter who traipsed down to the polling station to wield the stubby pencil every year or two, I have now drawn the logical conclusion that voting at all - for anything related to the state, anyway - is a futile exercise and no longer worth the bother. Indeed, it never really was. I'm a trade union member and will keep participating in ballots that they organise, but as regards anything to do with the state, it's over. My polling card for next month's locals is already in the shredding pile, and if I end up getting one for the Europeans then it will follow.

At least with abstention one refuses both to endorse any of the (most likely vain and duplicitous) candidates on the ballot paper, and to indicate any confidence in the various bodies to which they are elected. It also saves a mile-long round walk to the primary school - time which could be used for more worthwhile activities, such as watering the houseplants or watching television.

It makes me wonder how many more people will have drawn similar conclusions? I'm given to understand that the by-election turnout on Thursday wasn't so bad, so perhaps I'm the only one? It's quite possible that, in a few years' time, everything will have gone back to how it was and all that has transpired between 2016 and now will be naught but an increasingly distant, half-remembered nightmare. Whatever. It's just a spectator sport, after all.
  • Options

When I first visited the US in 2002 I was most amused that the visa waiver form asked me if I had been involved in terrorism or the Holocaust. It seemed a daft question as nobody would answer yes.

It wasn't until much later it dawned on me that if I did answer such a question wrongly that it would give them a pretext for my summary removal without court action should they find out, on the basis my paperwork was not in order.

These questions will almost certainly have a similar rationale.
  • Options

Is this a fucking joke? I just can't tell. My level of functional satire detection has been brexited down to zero.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

[buffs nails modestly]

I was always confident of your ability to shoehorn a keratin related pun into the discussion.

It was difficult. But let's not split hairs - it was brilliant.
  • Options
    Toms said:

"Galway Farmer" by "Show of Hands"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mua_PDkqcrs

Bloody good track.

Honorable mention to Elbow -The Fix Is In.

But for racing songs, NOTHING compares to The Pogues - Bottle of Smoke.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_giKJLdfqk
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Of course it was subjective,

Nevertheless the substantive point stands. The Conservatives with their Brexit obsession have reduced our once respected nation to the pity and ridicule of the world. They deserve to be out of office until everyone posting on this forum is dead and buried.

I would tend to agree that Brexit has fared badly in the foreign media (not to mention the domestic media) and that it is probable that where the foreign public has an opinion one way or the other on it, it is more likely to be a negative one than a positive.
  • Options

One of the things that will interest me about the next General Election is whether, should Mr Herdson transpire to be correct and Brexit ends up never happening, there is any significant decrease in turnout.

I voted to leave the EU and, if Mr Herdson is right (which he may well be) and Parliament is effectively given as much can-kicking time as it wants to wriggle out of the decision altogether, then we're not going to. Having previously been a civic duty voter who traipsed down to the polling station to wield the stubby pencil every year or two, I have now drawn the logical conclusion that voting at all - for anything related to the state, anyway - is a futile exercise and no longer worth the bother. Indeed, it never really was. I'm a trade union member and will keep participating in ballots that they organise, but as regards anything to do with the state, it's over. My polling card for next month's locals is already in the shredding pile, and if I end up getting one for the Europeans then it will follow.

At least with abstention one refuses both to endorse any of the (most likely vain and duplicitous) candidates on the ballot paper, and to indicate any confidence in the various bodies to which they are elected. It also saves a mile-long round walk to the primary school - time which could be used for more worthwhile activities, such as watering the houseplants or watching television.

It makes me wonder how many more people will have drawn similar conclusions? I'm given to understand that the by-election turnout on Thursday wasn't so bad, so perhaps I'm the only one? It's quite possible that, in a few years' time, everything will have gone back to how it was and all that has transpired between 2016 and now will be naught but an increasingly distant, half-remembered nightmare. Whatever. It's just a spectator sport, after all.

Second time I have cited my Mother today, but she has never missed a vote (every time for Labour), and voted Remain at the referendum. Yesterday she said she'd never bother voting again, as did my best friend (who then said "unless they have another referendum and I'll vote Leave again")
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Dura_Ace said:

Is this a fucking joke? I just can't tell. My level of functional satire detection has been brexited down to zero.
    It isn't quite a stupid as it looks. While it would only keep out the tiny minority of honest terrorrists, the question has a function.

If someone is later found out to have been a war criminal etc, they can be legally deprived of their passport on the grounds of making a false statement on the application.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Is it my imagination or am I correct in my sense that the Grand National is now run much later in the day than was formerly the case? I seem to remember the race taking place fairly early in the afternoon - circa 3pm - rather than 5.30.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

My Grand National bet is on Blow By Blow boosted to 100/1.

Went e/w.

Not expecting to win.

I've backed Rathvinden, Walk In The Mill and Singlefarmpayment. So, that's three more that won't place, for those still yet to take a punt and looking for indications of which nags to avoid like the plague.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    It is not often that Glasgow is considered part of the cosmopolitan, metropolitan elite!! Through the elections and over the last few years Glasgow has remained a hub of remain. Not quite at the level of Edinburgh but still solidly 2/3 or more wishing to stay in the EU.

It is very hard now to envisage a scenario where Scotland will not stay close to the EU. In the case of a hard Brexit then a rapid move to independence and re-joining is the most likely route. Following the WA route and the election of someone like Boris to replace Maybot and implement the new agreement with Europe may well have the same impact.

Without Scotland, England will become more geared towards Brexit and divergence on Europe may become wider reducing the likelihood of Scotland fully integrating with England again.
    The next few weeks are really the last chance to save the Union in my opinion. I hope May understands this fully.

• Options
    justin124 said:

Is it my imagination or am I correct in my sense that the Grand National is now run much later in the day than was formerly the case? I seem to remember the race taking place fairly early in the afternoon - circa 3pm - rather than 5.30.

It used to be 3.30. In fact, I didn't know it had changed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    justin124 said:

The later the race, the more lager and prosecco they can shift before the off.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    justin124 said:

Correct, it has been getting later. In 1991 for example it was run at 3.20 or so and in 2010 at 4.15.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    isam said:

Second time I have cited my Mother today, but she has never missed a vote (every time for Labour), and voted Remain at the referendum. Yesterday she said she'd never bother voting again, as did my best friend (who then said "unless they have another referendum and I'll vote Leave again")
    People said they would not vote after MPs expenses - IIRC turnout was higher in 2010 than it was in 2005!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Any Yorkshire punters should be loyal to their own and put their money on Vintage Clouds this afternoon. It looks to be in with a shout.
This discussion has been closed.