Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What does Newport West tell us?

Comments

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

Scott_P said:
    Peter Oborne is talking bollocks, he writes

As the end has come closer she’s turned into a shapeshifter, like the android assassin in the final stages of the second ‘Terminator’ film, moving desperately from one Brexit model to another.

ANDROID? He was a cyborg.
    If we were talking about the Robert Patrick T1000, then isn't "cyborg" the wrong word? It had no organic parts. Or is this yet another case[1] where millennials have taken a pre-existing term and messed around with it?

[1] Godsdammit, there isn't a real difference between an alternate reality, an alternate history, and a mirror universe. Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything... :(
  • viewcode said:

I'm not keen on this recasting of Rowley Birkin QC.
    I did not laugh
    I did not laugh
    I did not laugh

Pause

I laughed... :)
    Laugh? I nearly shat!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909

Scott_P said:

As the end has come closer she’s turned into a shapeshifter, like the android assassin in the final stages of the second ‘Terminator’ film, moving desperately from one Brexit model to another.

No, the cyborg was Arnie's character. The T1000 (Robert Patrick) seemed to have no organic parts.
    Listen to the audio commentary/special features of T2.

James Cameron calls him a cyborg.

A Porsche to Arnie's tank.
    When Arnie shoots T1000, he doesn't bleed, the affected area just turns into metal.

viewcode said:

"The Thick of It" and "In The Loop" were much better in terms of reflecting reality.

Basically nobody knows what's going on and spin doctors swear a lot?
    Pretty much. Although I was thinking more that SpAds and greater deference to ministers has removed safeguards that previously had kept the show on the road.
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

If we were talking about the Robert Patrick T1000, then isn't "cyborg" the wrong word? It had no organic parts. Or is this yet another case[1] where millennials have taken a pre-existing term and messed around with it?

[1] Godsdammit, there isn't a real difference between an alternate reality, an alternate history, and a mirror universe. Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything... :(
    viewcode agrees with me!
  • viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Listen to James Cameron, he calls the T-1000 a cyborg.

You're going to love Dark Fate then.

It is going to be the direct sequel to Judgment Day and the other previous sequels are now set in alternative timelines.

viewcode said:

...How did the paunched Remainers...

I keep forgetting that Leavers are jut-jawed twentysomethings with creatine-enhanced musculature, good hair, skin and teeth, and a thousand-yard stare... :)

For sure, the Leavers are Hook-Finger Jacob and Robert the Saw and Wally the Weeper.

And they are led by Macheath and Peachum who will happily betray them (they are good approximations to Farage and Francois).

But, Brecht would have understand instinctively why you could not win something like the 2016 Referendum in such a discontented and unequal society as ours.

Many Remainers can’t. They are as deluded as the worst jingoists on the Leave side.
    I had to google those references. I have to say, that was a remarkably good reference.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    A cyborg does require organic parts. Wasn't aware the T1000 had any.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Scott_P said:
    I always thought Oborne was as mad as a bag of frogs but his piece makes perfect sense to this citizen of nowhere!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Oborne, Hitrchens, Heffer, Daley... Why are right wing commentators such weirdos? :D
  • A cyborg does require organic parts. Wasn't aware the T1000 had any.

It was liquid organic parts according to James Cameron.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

"The Thick of It" and "In The Loop" were much better in terms of reflecting reality.

Probably, but while good they weren't as fun because pretty much everyone in them is utterly despicable and/or incompetent. It lacked the heart that Yes Minister occasionally had, and because of the swearing is not as immediately quotable, so may not stand the test of time as well, even though it was both funny and at times dead on.

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Cameron is wrong, kiddo! He didn't film any scenes where the T-1000 bleeds. And when it dies in the foundry, it just dissipates into molten metal.

Scott_P said:
    I always thought Oborne was as mad as a bag of frogs but his piece makes perfect sense to this citizen of nowhere!
    Oborne IS as mad as a box frogs. Just because he's "pivoting" to a position you agree with doesn't mean he isn't totally loopy! :D

A cyborg does require organic parts. Wasn't aware the T1000 had any.

It was liquid organic parts according to James Cameron.
    Looks more like liquid metal.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Customs union would be pathetic and ridiculous.

It is all thanks to the ERG and DUP.

Had they voted for the deal on the 29th she wouldn’t need to sign up to I can’t believe it’s not a customs union.

Steve Baker, Private Francois et al deserves gongs for getting us here.
    It's not a bloody customs union, it's a dove-tailed tariff alignment for goodness sake!
    We're not a football team. We're ten people kicking a ball about on a pitch, with an eleventh in goal... :)
    With Mourinho as manager perhaps?
    It's worse than that.

https://twitter.com/scotsunsport/status/1113924558464147456
    Oh lord. Can we not just say we're really, really sorry to Gordon and would he please come back?
    He's never getting a job ever again.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/07/gordon-strachan-will-not-appear-on-sky-again-after-adam-johnson-remarks
    I am sure BeIn Sports will have him...I mean after all they hired Andy Gray and Richard Keys.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited April 2019
    l
    Scott_P said:
    The easily discouraged Brexiters have been folding for a while. Now the more sensible Brexiters are beginning to crumble. At this rate it will be back to Farage, the Express editorial board and that guy who dresses up as a leprechaun by this time next year.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

Yes, Minister (and Yes, Prime Minister) remain utterly excellent. Odd how some comedy ages terribly and others seem timeless.

Unfortunately, it was out of date as it was written. If you cross-reference the jokes to their real-life inspirations, it's based on a lot of 60's and 70's references. In the 80's and 90's the civil service was being shaken up, and these days the concept of a hypercompetent civil servant secretary guiding a befuddled minister is pretty much absent (unfortunately, IMHO). "The Thick of It" and "In The Loop" were much better in terms of reflecting reality.

As a civil servant myself, I recognize a lot of Yes Minister today, even if the people look and sound quite different.
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Probably, but while good they weren't as fun because pretty much everyone in them is utterly despicable and/or incompetent. It lacked the heart that Yes Minister occasionally had, and because of the swearing is not as immediately quotable, so may not stand the test of time as well, even though it was both funny and at times dead on.
    I quote the Thick of It all the time. I'd love be able to behave like Jamie at work and get away with it.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

l

Scott_P said:
    The easily discouraged Brexiters have been folding for a while. Now the more sensible Brexiters are beginning to crumble. At this rate it will be back to Farage, the Express editorial board and that guy who dresses up as a leprechaun by this time next year.
    It's why a long extension is needed, and why the Tories are so afraid of one. They can surely see that people are coming to their senses, faced with the reality of the impossible dream.

Wonder if that's a glass of water or a large gin and tonic to the right of Mrs May? :D
    edited April 2019
    Jewish Labour Movement passes no-confidence motion on Corbyn

But both the party and its leader were dealt a blow when the AGM of the Jewish Labour Movement – which has 2,000 members and has been affiliated for almost a century – voted to describe the party as “institutionally antisemitic”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/07/labour-defends-antisemitism-response-after-documents-leak
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    Outrageous goal by Deulofeu
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    isam said:

Outrageous goal by Deulofeu

Ho Ho Ho he's magic, you know...
    Gerard Deulofeu
    Mr. Eagles, hmm. Never heard that before. I do wonder why Cameron wanted it to be a cyborg rather than a straightforward robot.

On sequels: I did hear a while ago they were making a Dark Crystal sequel. Not sure why, as the story seems rather well wrapped up.
    IanB2 said:

l

Scott_P said:
    It's why a long extension is needed, and why the Tories are so afraid of one. They can surely see that people are coming to their senses, faced with the reality of the impossible dream.
    I always thought that any delay in the roll out would end the project. I think May's team think the same - but they might just about be able to still contrive to blame Labour for it all if they can manage something dramatic this summer that leads to the HoC revoking article 50 in the face of 'opposition' from number 10.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if that's a glass of water or a large gin and tonic to the right of Mrs May? :D
    I doubt she drinks alcohol as she is a type 1 diabetic! Although if she did drink she would be unlikely to be a barrel of laughs. She apparently has no sense of humour, which is a trait Maggie Thatcher shared with her: the other being gender.

Mr. Eagles, hmm. Never heard that before. I do wonder why Cameron wanted it to be a cyborg rather than a straightforward robot.

On sequels: I did hear a while ago they were making a Dark Crystal sequel. Not sure why, as the story seems rather well wrapped up.

Mr Dancer, the Wikipedia article has this to say:

The T-1000, also known as a Prototype Series 1000 Terminator, is a fictional character in the Terminator franchise. A shapeshifting android assassin, the T-1000 is the main antagonist of Terminator 2: Judgment Day and Terminator: Dark Fate, as well as a minor antagonist in Terminator Genisys and a theme park attraction in Terminator 2 3-D: Battle Across Time. A similar Terminator, referred to as a T-1001, appears in the Fox television series, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
    [..]
    In the Terminator 2 storyline, the T-1000 is made of liquid metal. The T-800 explains that the T-1000 is a more advanced Terminator, composed entirely of a "mimetic polyalloy", rendering it capable of rapid shape shifting, near-perfect mimicry and rapid recovery from damage. Furthermore, it can use its ability to quickly liquify and assume forms in innovative and surprising ways, including fitting through narrow openings, morphing its arms into solid metal tools or bladed weapons, walking through prison bars, flattening itself and imitating the pattern and texture of the ground to hide or ambush targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-1000
    GIN1138 said:

Is she really small, or very far away? ;)
  • Mr. Eagles, hmm. Never heard that before. I do wonder why Cameron wanted it to be a cyborg rather than a straightforward robot.

Want to know something amusing about the first Terminator film?

One of the producers suggested O J Simpson as the Terminator but James Cameron vetoed that idea because he thought the audience wouldn't find it believable that O J Simpson was a killer.

One of the producers suggested O J Simpson as the Terminator but James Cameron vetoed that idea because he thought the audience wouldn't find it believable that O J Simpson was a killer.
    Well thats just racial stereotyping for you....next you will be suggesting that O J could play a convincing armed robber.
    Dr. Prasannan, that was my understanding, but I'd be wary of considering Wikipedia to be unimpeachable.

Mr. Eagles, I did not know that.

On a sort-of similar note, Dracula was originally going to be female. He ended up being male after Bram Stoker reportedly developed a fondness for an actor (Henry Irving, from fuzzy memory).

But both the party and its leader were dealt a blow when the AGM of the Jewish Labour Movement – which has 2,000 members and has been affiliated for almost a century – voted to describe the party as “institutionally antisemitic”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/07/labour-defends-antisemitism-response-after-documents-leak

If their motion says he is unfit to lead the country I'm a little unclear what the plan is, given I assume they still regard getting a Labour government as a very good thing, and yet he is the one who would lead that government.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724

On a sort-of similar note, Dracula was originally going to be female. He ended up being male after Bram Stoker reportedly developed a fondness for an actor (Henry Irving, from fuzzy memory).

Really? That sucks.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,724
    kle4 said:

If their motion says he is unfit to lead the country I'm a little unclear what the plan is, given I assume they still regard getting a Labour government as a very good thing, and yet he is the one who would lead that government.
    Get a new leader?

Dr. Prasannan, that was my understanding, but I'd be wary of considering Wikipedia to be unimpeachable.

Mr Dancer, they do mention the direct-ish quote from Arnie regarding "a mimetic polyalloy". An alloy is a mixture of two or more metals.
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Get a new leader?
    How? And will they not vote Labour if they don't get a new leader?
  • Mr. Eagles, hmm. Never heard that before. I do wonder why Cameron wanted it to be a cyborg rather than a straightforward robot.

Well thats just racial stereotyping for you....next you will be suggesting that O J could play a convincing armed robber.
    There was a racial element to it as well.

James Cameron wasn't keen on the visual of a black man chasing after a white woman.

In EW’s oral history of the 1984 sci-fi classic, director James Cameron recalls his reaction when Orion Pictures proposed the retired NFL superstar as the lethal killing machine from the future. “[Orion chief Mike] Medavoy came to me and [producer Gale Anne Hurd] and he said, ‘Are you sitting down? You must sit down. I want O.J. Simpson for the Terminator. Gale and I just looked at each other and thought, ‘You’ve got to be f- - -ing kidding me. How do we get out of this?”
    “That did come out of my mouth,” Medavoy says. “At the time, O.J. Simpson had one of those commercials for Hertz where he jumped over a counter and ran to get a rental car. It was all of that athletic stuff, which I thought the Terminator should have.” Medavoy was serious enough in his thinking about Simpson that he approached eventual Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger with the offer of playing the brave soldier from the future, ultimately played by Michael Biehn. “Medavoy came up to me at a screening and told me that they already had the Terminator cast with O.J. Simpson,” says the former California governor.

“I don’t think it went any further than that, I don’t think we went beyond the idea,” Medavoy says, adding, “Jim didn’t like the idea at all.”

Interestingly, it was Simpson’s pleasant persona that turned off Cameron. “This was when everybody loved him, and ironically that was part of the problem—he was this likable, goofy, kind of innocent guy. Plus, frankly, I wasn’t interested in an African-American man chasing around a white girl with a knife.”

https://ew.com/article/2014/07/17/oj-simpson-terminator-james-cameron/

Sylvester Stallone and Mel Gibson were offered the Terminator role, but both turned it down.
    Mr. Doethur, would've been interesting had Dracula been female. Maybe we would have had Buddy the Vampire Slayer, aided by Gillian the Watcher.

Dr. Prasannan, that's true, and I remember hearing that when I, fairly recently, watched most of the film.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755

l

Scott_P said:
    I think few people who support Brexit have changed their minds.

There's a widespread view that MP's will never let us leave the EU, but that view has been around for a long time.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

The two don't necessarily go hand in glove.

• If I were the LD I would campaign on sending a protest vote at the way Government and Opposition are failing the country. It does not have to be specific unless something occurs, often people will vote against stuff, the recent increase in pension contributions may be one such issue as it lowers disposable income unless an individual opts out.

Wasn't that a fundamental facet of a policy introduced by a Lib Dem minister?

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

There's a widespread view that MP's will never let us leave the EU, but that view has been around for a long time.
    Evidence is a lagging indicator - you don't get good odds when everyone knows the score. But the psychological impact of missing the deadline is pretty big. People in show business say the show must go on, because they know very well it's hard to get an audience to come back a second time.
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

Oborne doesnt seem to think we shouldn’t leave the EU to me
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

And he's not unique. Sean needs to speak to a wider circle.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

It is going to be the direct sequel to Judgment Day and the other previous sequels are now set in alternative timelines.

Good, the best way to accept T3 and Genisys is by banishing them to alternative timelines. Salvation was a bit better, albeit still not brilliant.
    IanB2 said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

Sorry if that was badly phrased, I think Oborne still thinks we should leave, but wants an extension to get a better deal. Thats the way it came over to me anyway
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2019
    Deleted
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    I’ve a soft spot for Oborne (and Hitchens, but not Heffer or Daley).

The piece is a very balanced, thoughtful contribution.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,008

If I were the LD I would campaign on sending a protest vote at the way Government and Opposition are failing the country. It does not have to be specific unless something occurs, often people will vote against stuff, the recent increase in pension contributions may be one such issue as it lowers disposable income unless an individual opts out.

Cela n'empêche pas.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    We were just watching Mrs May and hubbie on TV. Mrs J looks at them and says: "I didn't know she was married to Woody Allen ..."

Once seen, it cannot be unseen.
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

Sorry if that was badly phrased, I think Oborne still thinks we should leave, but wants an extension to get a better deal. Thats the way it came over to me anyway
    Quite right. He was saying it was time for a rethink. St Paul is pretty unusual in making a sudden change of mind on a big issue. Most people take a while. It was at least two months between the time I was reconciled to leaving and getting to revoke now. But once you've opened the possibility of changing your mind there's a good chance you'll end up in a different place.

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

Quite right. He was saying it was time for a rethink. St Paul is pretty unusual in making a sudden change of mind on a big issue. Most people take a while. It was at least two months between the time I was reconciled to leaving and getting to revoke now. But once you've opened the possibility of changing your mind there's a good chance you'll end up in a different place.
    The zeal of the convert, I know it well.

We were just watching Mrs May and hubbie on TV. Mrs J looks at them and says: "I didn't know she was married to Woody Allen ..."

Once seen, it cannot be unseen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tz9krF1K68
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    isam said:

isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

The zeal of the convert, I know it well.
    The security of the deluded
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

They should bypass judgment day as well. Its best moment (SPOILER ALERT) when Arnie turns out to be a good guy only works the first time you see it. Its defects are a highly punchable child actor, that utterly embarrassing liquid metal thing which was really, really cool back in the day but is probably now available for free to Photoshop into your Instagram videos, the trivializing of automatic weapons (shooting at all those cops without injuring anyone - sandy hook and Christchurch and a hundred other places say hello) and ultimately the fact that I don't think you can get more than the one movie out of the time travel gag - as all the subsequent sequels prove. It gets too complicated and the plot holes just stack up. Terminator should have been a stand alone.
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

They should bypass judgment day as well. Its best moment (SPOILER ALERT) when Arnie turns out to be a good guy only works the first time you see it. Its defects are a highly punchable child actor, that utterly embarrassing liquid metal thing which was really, really cool back in the day but is probably now available for free to Photoshop into your Instagram videos, the trivializing of automatic weapons (shooting at all those cops without injuring anyone - sandy hook and Christchurch and a hundred other places say hello) and ultimately the fact that I don't think you can get more than the one movie out of the time travel gag - as all the subsequent sequels prove. It gets too complicated and the plot holes just stack up. Terminator should have been a stand alone.
    "I know now vy you cry. But it is something I can never do!"
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967

Scott_P said:
    That’s well worth a read.

Finally – and without naming them – I must state that there are many MPs (and not a few journalists) still marching under the Brexit banner who will read this article with a sympathy and support they do not feel able to declare. They too have changed their minds.
    Unfortunately they are changing their minds from any sort of Brexit which could be easily implemented to a crash-out No Deal Brexit.
    isam said:

IanB2 said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

He wants a years extension then a referendum. Fair to say he has changed his mind
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    edited April 2019

I’ve a soft spot for Oborne (and Hitchens, but not Heffer or Daley).

The piece is a very balanced, thoughtful contribution.

It's a shame we will never know what Chris Hitchens would have made of Brexit.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Ishmael_Z said:

the trivializing of automatic weapons

That's quite a wide-ranging criticism. I mean that must cover 90% of movies in the 80's alone.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

If I were the LD I would campaign on sending a protest vote at the way Government and Opposition are failing the country. It does not have to be specific unless something occurs, often people will vote against stuff, the recent increase in pension contributions may be one such issue as it lowers disposable income unless an individual opts out.

The cult of Year Zero is strong in every political party.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Scott_P said:
    That’s well worth a read.

Finally – and without naming them – I must state that there are many MPs (and not a few journalists) still marching under the Brexit banner who will read this article with a sympathy and support they do not feel able to declare. They too have changed their minds.
    Unfortunately they are changing their minds from any sort of Brexit which could be easily implemented to a crash-out No Deal Brexit.
    it's just a shame we dont have Bob Crowe so I could vote for him
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Out canvassing in Surrey heartlands over the weekend..real anger. A lot of expletives on the doorstep. Tories heading for a voters strike. Could be a lot of independants elected in areas.
    timmo said:

Out canvassing in Surrey heartlands over the weekend..real anger. A lot of expletives on the doorstep. Tories heading for a voters strike. Could be a lot of independants elected in areas.

Who do they blame and what do they want to be done ?
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Thread: analysis of Newport W result in the context of Brexit negotiations and analysing breaks to smaller parties,and with very sensible look forward to the possibility of a Brecon and Radnorshire by-election.

PB: TERMINATORS ARE CYBORGS NOT ANDROIDS.

Never change PB.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    timmo said:

Whats the point in voting Tory, they stand for nothing.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

timmo said:

The Brexiteers feel betrayed now and the Remainers feel that we need new leadership to move events forward. In places it felt like 97 without Blair

• Sir_GeoffSir_Geoff Posts: 41
    I've a question regarding the customs union by another name which appears to have been suggested; if we were to sign up, how easy is it likely to be to exit at a later date? That is of course leaving aside how exactly a future government is locked into anything beyond the WA.
    timmo said:

timmo said:

The Brexiteers feel betrayed now and the Remainers feel that we need new leadership to move events forward. In places it felt like 97 without Blair

Betrayed by whom ?

The Conservative voting for withdrawal or the Conservatives voting against withdrawal.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Just watched the video of May trying to behave like a normal human being.

Oh dear.

I would say 'stick to the day job', but I'd rather she didn't.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    So is the PB consensus that Brexit is not happening and there is no chance of No Deal now .
    timmo said:

Well, they probably need to vent a lot of frustration. That won't change the facts that the Tories lack a majority for their Brexit policy and it is their own MPs who have led to potentially even worse a Brexit or no Brexit at all. However angry they get that is still the situation, one where they have allowed those who wish no Brexit to thrive.
    Drutt said:

Thread: analysis of Newport W result in the context of Brexit negotiations and analysing breaks to smaller parties,and with very sensible look forward to the possibility of a Brecon and Radnorshire by-election.

Never change PB.

Repeat after me: The T-1000 is an android, made out of "mimetic polyalloy"!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    Sir_Geoff said:

I've a question regarding the customs union by another name which appears to have been suggested; if we were to sign up, how easy is it likely to be to exit at a later date? That is of course leaving aside how exactly a future government is locked into anything beyond the WA.

Good question - also if it is "A" customs union, will it b e possible to upgrade to some sort of Common Market 2.0 by future Gov'ts ?

This question on changeability works both ways for future Govts.
    Drutt said:

Never change PB.

May makes a video and everyone ends up talking about cyborgs. Uncanny.

Drutt said:

Never change PB.

May makes a video and everyone ends up talking about cyborgs. Uncanny.
    Or androids, depending on model :)
    Sir_Geoff said:

Rejoining as a full member should be possible.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Sir_Geoff said:

This is the reason why the detail is so important. Blind Brexit indeed.
    kjohnw said:

So is the PB consensus that Brexit is not happening and there is no chance of No Deal now .

Just got to hope those eventualities get big poll ratings and go 1/10 so we can lay them and get the dough!!
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    edited April 2019
    Sir_Geoff said:

Exit to No Deal should be possible. The No Deal will apply to everyone because all the third party agreements will predicated on the UK being in the EU Customs Union. In principle easy; in practice hard. Pretty much like Brexit generally.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So an upside to Brexit delay.

Arrived in the chaos of Berlin passport control after a jumbo from the Far East. Was able to go through the EU gate. Must have saved hours. Thanks due to JRM and the ERG boys.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049

timmo said:

The problem is that they stand for everything...
    Foxy said:

timmo said:

Do they still stand for the National Anthem? Or is that just UKIP?
    Sean_F said:

l

Scott_P said:

Yes and No. I think there is an increasing realisation that Brexit is failing. Most Leavers interpret that as at best a lack of will on the part of politicians who never signed up to the programme, and at worst an outright betrayal of the people's vote and democracy. There are some who understand that Brexit is undeliverable on the promised prospectus and have come round to believing Brexit is better cancelled, but few so far.

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Sure, detailed analysis of any film, even iconic ones like Judgement Day, often reveals some pretty disturbing themes and assumptions. I rewatched 16 Candles on Netflix the other night and it is very disturbing in its attitudes, particularly the predatory Senior who is the love interest. Many Brett Kavanaugh moments. The background scenes to such films are often more interesting than the foregrounds.

Cartoonish shoot em up scenes have long been a hollywood staple. It was Reservoir Dogs that changed the narrative imo, with the violence mostly off stage, and the aftermath brutally shown.

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Sure, detailed analysis of any film, even iconic ones like Judgement Day, often reveals some pretty disturbing themes and assumptions. I rewatched 16 Candles on Netflix the other night and it is very disturbing in its attitudes, particularly the predatory Senior who is the love interest. Many Brett Kavanaugh moments. The background scenes to such films are often more interesting than the foregrounds.

Cartoonish shoot em up scenes have long been a hollywood staple. It was Reservoir Dogs that changed the narrative imo, with the violence mostly off stage, and the aftermath brutally shown.

16 Candles sounds like a sequel to a Two Ronnies sketch.

Foxy said:

timmo said:

I think they still stand

https://youtu.be/FN7r0Rr1Qyc

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

The franchise went on too long...

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

No, six tin candles. Candles made from tin!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

Accidental No Deal is still a possibility in my view but May is clearly set against it (else we'd have gone by now).

Her request for a further extension and recognition that we might need to hold EU elections; her decision to talk to Labour; the HoC majority against No Deal; Merkel's clear preference to avoid No Deal; the likely passage of the Cooper Bill; the lack of a seismic backlash in the Newport West by-election; the ineptitude of the ERG... all these things point away from No Deal.

I'd say the chances currently are:

1. No Deal 5%
    2. May's Deal 10%
    3. May's Deal + CU 25%
    4. May's Deal + CU + PV 50%...
    (leading to:
    4i. Brexit 25%
    4ii. Revoke 25%)
    5. Straight Revoke (possibly after several long extensions) 10%

So adding 3. + 4i. Brexit with May's Deal + CU = 50% overall
    And adding 4ii. + 5. Revoke and therefore Remain* = 35% overall
    Brexit with May Deal (no CU) 10% and
    No Deal 5%

(*If we Revoke, that will be it - there's no Revoke now and re-invoke A50 next year imo.)

Foxy said:

Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

No, six tin candles. Candles made from tin!
    Think big - order nine teak 'andles
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

timmo said:

I think they still stand

https://youtu.be/FN7r0Rr1Qyc
    That song has to be the most disturbing ever in any musical.
    kjohnw said:

Probably leave with a deal, possibly after months' delay. No Deal is possible, but almost certainly chaotic and not an end state so sensible people will reject that route. I doubt many Remainers or Leavers will see Brexit as a success.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,951
    FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

Probably leave with a deal, possibly after months' delay. No Deal is possible, but almost certainly chaotic and not an end state so sensible people will reject that route. I doubt many Remainers or Leavers will see Brexit as a success.
    No Remainers will ever admit Brexit has been a success.

Just, never.
    FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

Tbf I doubt any Remainers were ever likely to see any Brexit as a success, which is another reason why there should have been a 2/3 threshold or similar for a constitutional referendum like EURef.

Brexit was always going to face an outcome where the majority were unhappy since it only takes a small proportion of Leave voters not to get the Brexit they envisaged to add to the unhappy Remainers. (And that's ignoring the 28% who did not vote at all.)

FF43 said:

kjohnw said:

No Remainers will ever admit Brexit has been a success.

Just, never.
    Very probably correct. I suspect in 10 years time if we do exit few Leavers will claim it has been a success either.
This discussion has been closed.