Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters make it an 81% chance that the UK will participate in

Comments

• kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited April 2019
    17.4 million of us voted to leave in a referendum Dave said would be final, brexit means brexit says Theresa, we will be leaving the Customs union and single market she says , No deal is better than a bad deal she says, lies all lies , now it’s customs union , regulatory alignment, second referendum, indefinite extension. She has single handily destroyed all faith in democracy and parliament to enact the peoples instruction. We are a divided and ruined nation , RIP UK
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905
    isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

I think Mike was probably right - at the time. Europe wasn’t salient. What the referendum did was whip up strong feeling on both sides, that were the preserve of a few ultra engaged eurosceptics and nerdy Liberal Democrats prior to 2016.

That doesn't track for me. It's essentially saying the feelings were created by the referendum, which seems implausible. Once given the chance, people let us know what they thought. We might as well say the strong pro-EU feeling we often see now is not salient, it's just been whipped up by the ultra engaged because of the tense political situation.
    Not to mention that the most eurosceptic party in British History, with no money and a hostile media, had just got 13% of the vote at a GE, a year after being the first non Con/Lab party to win a national election!!

Those damn pesky EU-loving newspapers... like the ummm... Financial Times and Guardian... with their err... massive... circulations...
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,124
    Wow. This is a truly staggering stat:

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1115008106553962496
  • isamisam Posts: 40,872
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

I think Mike was probably right - at the time. Europe wasn’t salient. What the referendum did was whip up strong feeling on both sides, that were the preserve of a few ultra engaged eurosceptics and nerdy Liberal Democrats prior to 2016.

That doesn't track for me. It's essentially saying the feelings were created by the referendum, which seems implausible. Once given the chance, people let us know what they thought. We might as well say the strong pro-EU feeling we often see now is not salient, it's just been whipped up by the ultra engaged because of the tense political situation.
    Not to mention that the most eurosceptic party in British History, with no money and a hostile media, had just got 13% of the vote at a GE, a year after being the first non Con/Lab party to win a national election!!

Those damn pesky EU-loving newspapers... like the ummm... Financial Times and Guardian... with their err... massive... circulations...
    They are fair contributors to the echo chamber

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,889
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

The media is far more than just the dead tree press Robert as well you know.
  • dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

I agree with Kle4. His point matches an interesting read on Unherd today: https://unherd.com/2019/04/brexit-isnt-a-crisis-of-listening/

"This can’t be resolved by telling a group of people who have been ignored for generations that they have, once again, to shut up and pay heed to the grown ups."

This was the standout quote for me: "Not that we don’t understand each other. It’s that we do not agree and neither side wants to lose." I noted Matthew Goodwin's (and many other Leavers) contention that Remain did not listen to or misunderstood Leave. So I read his stuff. And I simply did not share his stance (although I remain an admirer of his analysis). And I assume the same is true of Leavers who have tried to understand Remainers. Even after we strip away the stupid, the malevolent, and the overprivileged, we still have points on which we disagree.

[Parenthetically, this is why I think "playing for a draw" - May's deal - is the best way forward]

Yep. There are many thoughtful, obviously intelligent and polite, informed Leavers on this board. I do not, and can not accept their rationale for their vote. Not because it is stupid or unpleasant, or because I don't necessarily share their analysis of the situation that drove it.
    Purely because we fundamentally disagree on the remedy.
    Not sure how we get past that TBH.
    The remedy we could have agreed on was reform of the EU to address the democratic deficit. However that is unfortunately not going to happen because the key players like it the way it is.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924

It truly is. The solution is not leaving the EU.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924
    edited April 2019

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

I agree with Kle4. His point matches an interesting read on Unherd today: https://unherd.com/2019/04/brexit-isnt-a-crisis-of-listening/

"This can’t be resolved by telling a group of people who have been ignored for generations that they have, once again, to shut up and pay heed to the grown ups."

This was the standout quote for me: "Not that we don’t understand each other. It’s that we do not agree and neither side wants to lose." I noted Matthew Goodwin's (and many other Leavers) contention that Remain did not listen to or misunderstood Leave. So I read his stuff. And I simply did not share his stance (although I remain an admirer of his analysis). And I assume the same is true of Leavers who have tried to understand Remainers. Even after we strip away the stupid, the malevolent, and the overprivileged, we still have points on which we disagree.

[Parenthetically, this is why I think "playing for a draw" - May's deal - is the best way forward]

Yep. There are many thoughtful, obviously intelligent and polite, informed Leavers on this board. I do not, and can not accept their rationale for their vote. Not because it is stupid or unpleasant, or because I don't necessarily share their analysis of the situation that drove it.
    The remedy we could have agreed on was reform of the EU to address the democratic deficit. However that is unfortunately not going to happen because the key players like it the way it is.
    Reform of the UK and yes, we could agree .
    It is the mote in our eye that this process has laid bare.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

Twitter does not represent what most people read, or the influence on most of their voters, however ; the sun and the mail do, which also set the broadcasting agenda.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited April 2019
    http://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1115358349720203265

Do they seriously expect her to be gone before Wednesday and the summit ? A bit crazy, I would suggest.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

Simon Calder on Five Live just said that in 1972 you could travel on any trains in Europe for just £32 with hardly any restrictions.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,959

IanB2 said:

Point of Order from Cooper now the Bill is agreed.

Formality of Royal assent the only remaining hurdle.

Benn asks whether assent will be given tonight. Speaker hopes so, says steps are in train.

In which case motion under the Act will be taken tomorrow.

About the last piece of drama Brexit hasn't had is HM the Q keeling over before royal assent is given.....
    10/10. Would LOL again.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,572
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Simon Calder on Five Live just said that in 1972 you could travel on any trains in Europe for just £32 with hardly any restrictions.

Um. There was this whole Warsaw Pact Berlin Wall thing... :)

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

17.4 million of us voted to leave in a referendum Dave said would be final, brexit means brexit says Theresa, we will be leaving the Customs union and single market she says , No deal is better than a bad deal she says, lies all lies , now it’s customs union , regulatory alignment, second referendum, indefinite extension. She has single handily destroyed all faith in democracy and parliament to enact the peoples instruction. We are a divided and ruined nation , RIP UK

Except that when you walk around the streets of the average town, everything seems to be going on pretty much as normal. I can't tell much difference from, say, 5 years ago. (Although of course there are more charity and betting shops).
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    The quid pro quo surely has to be May doing a whip for a Customs Union.
    Oh, Jezza's wet dream: a vote on 2nd ref, which he whips for, and still loses.
    The Conservatives will make it a free vote and make sure enough vote for it.
    Will MPs also be given a free vote on whether they want a people's vote, a confirmatory Brexit referendum, a final say on the deal, a confirmatory public vote and/or just a plain old second referendum as well?

I assumed they were the same thing but perhaps not? So many euphemisms no doubt polled on so many focus groups.

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

The media is far more than just the dead tree press Robert as well you know.
    I know, I was just teasing.

I would be interested to know the source for that factoid.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    rcs1000 said:

The majority of states have a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum. It's a stat designed to sound more staggering than it is.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I seem to remember currency restrictions for a start....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190
    brendan16 said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:
    The quid pro quo surely has to be May doing a whip for a Customs Union.
    Oh, Jezza's wet dream: a vote on 2nd ref, which he whips for, and still loses.
    The Conservatives will make it a free vote and make sure enough vote for it.
    Will MPs also be given a free vote on whether they want a people's vote, a confirmatory Brexit referendum, a final say on the deal, a confirmatory public vote and/or just a plain old second referendum as well?

I assumed they were the same thing but perhaps not? So many euphemisms no doubt polled on so many focus groups.
    There will be a proposition for one of those, which of course can be amended. But getting votes for a proposition will be challenge enough so my guess is that its form will be decided as part of the discussions. Although Labour's incentive to make a deal now seems even lower now that a long extension looks increasingly likely.
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

I went behind the Iron Curtain as a student using an Interrail pass, which was valid in every E European country on every train. Yes, we needed visas, and there was compulsory currency exchange in Romania and E Germany, but as far as the train ticket is concerned he is right.

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

Ironically one problem they have that inhibits reform is the requirement for referendums in a number of member states, the Brexit experience makes it even less likely since, as any government knows, referendums offer an easy protest opportunity regardless of the subject matter.
    kjohnw said:

"Single handedly" is a bit rich. She has actually had a lot of help.
    brendan16 said:

Chris_A said:

Isn't it great that "by automatic operation of law" Mrs May is mandated to ask for an extension.

Wasn’t she essentially going to do what the new act requires anyway?
    She wanted a short one. Cooper-Letwin surely want a long one as per Tusk. By going early the PM hoped to get to the pass first, before the Bill was done. But the Lords amendments, although giving the PM more flexibility than in the first draft, also rescue the Bill in the circumstance where an extension is already requested. As I understand it there will now be a debate on the length of the extension in Parliament today, as per the Speakers announcement last night.

The government has tried to limit the damage by providing only ninety minutes for debate, much of which may disappear in points of order and other filibustering from leavers. Nevertheless I expect there'll be some sort of vote and it will be interesting to see whether the PM concedes a longer extension before parliament has the chance to have its say.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

rcs1000 said:

The majority of states have a minimum wage higher than the federal minimum. It's a stat designed to sound more staggering than it is.
    Yes. I suspect that the number working full time at the federal minimum wage is a lot smaller than would be expected. Maybe even single figures millions.
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. I suspect that the number working full time at the federal minimum wage is a lot smaller than would be expected. Maybe even single figures millions.
    We can work it out :-)

The Federal minimum wage is $7.50/hour. Keeping it simple, that makes it $15,000/year.

Now, all the federal minimum workers (together) get to one third of $27.5bn, or $9bn to keep things simple.

So let's divide $9bn by $15,000.

And we get to 600,000.

So not even single digit millions. :)

Which doesn't make it seem like such an incredible number after all.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    Hmm. Story on changes to divorce laws to
    Remove the need to allege unreasonable behaviour to provide a period to allow reflection and an opportunity to turn back. I'm seeing Brexit in everything now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47860144
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,187
    kjohnw said:

Why is is such a shock to you that compromise might be necessary to achieve Brexit, when just under half the electorate (and quite possibly more than that now) opposed it from the start.
    In case you hadn’t noticed, we have a hung parliament, elected since the referendum.

What makes you think that you have any entitlement to anything other than the bare legal fact of leaving the EU - which is the only question which was on the referendum ballot ?

The country is indeed divided, so compromise is necessary. That is democracy.

Insisting on your way, in the teeth of half the country, without any mandate, is profoundly anti democratic.

• eekeek Posts: 24,922
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Number of people wanting her out of her 70% Leave voting Normanton Pontefract parliamentary constituency now far greater than her majority in said constituency...

https://www.change.org/p/normanton-pontefract-and-castleford-labour-party-deselect-mp-yvette-cooper-from-our-constituency
    Yep but once again people are comparing apples with Robin Reliant cars...
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

The Federal minimum wage is $7.50/hour. Keeping it simple, that makes it $15,000/year.

Now, all the federal minimum workers (together) get to one third of $27.5bn, or $9bn to keep things simple.

And we get to 600,000.

Indeed. And investment by government or industry in poorer areas would lead to fewer people working minimum wage, making the numbers appear worse.

Reminds me of the UK ‘poverty’ figures that got a lot better in 2009 - not because the poor got any richer, but that the rich got poorer.

Lies, damn lies and....
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

Still sucks to be one of them, though.

http://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1115358349720203265

Do they seriously expect her to be gone before Wednesday and the summit ? A bit crazy, I would suggest.

For all her manifold failings, replacing May wouldn’t even begin to be a solution to the problem.
    Except for those Tories determined to pursue No Deal.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Richard

Wot - no pb.com???
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,472
    isam said:
    She has merely prevented No Deal, her bill respects the referendum. Yvette is a star.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    AndyJS said:

O/T

That's about right IF you were a student. It was for a month only, and I did just that in 1976 it was £60 then. Still a bargain. I think it was called an Interrail pass
    Foxy said:

isam said:
    She has merely prevented No Deal, her bill respects the referendum. Yvette is a star.
    The ‘give us everything we want or it’s a betrayal of democtacy’ tendency is a strong one.

• kamskikamski Posts: 4,213
    kjohnw said:

OK the referendum result is one thing - I can see the argument that it is undemocratic not to actually carry out leaving the EU, although there are also valid arguments on the other side.

But things Theresa May said? Just another example of a politician being unable or unwilling to carry out promises, seen plenty of that from all sides my whole life.

Like I said: on the same page of the 2015 Conservative manifesto where Dave promised an in-out referendum, he also promised to safeguard Britain's place in the Single Market. So the way to honour the referendum result in the spirit in which the referendum was promised would be to leave the EU but stay in the Single Market. But I wouldn't say not saying in the Single Market would single-handedly destroy all faith in democracy etc

• mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

O/T

And? You couldn’t fly anywhere cheaply or efficiently, to drive around London took you the term of your natural life, seatbelts and wing mirrors were optional extras in cars and, going by pictures of London, everything (and everybody) was dirty and tired. 47 years ago. The same gap as between 1939 and 1986. I presume Simon Calder was young.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    Kind of a weird vibe right now where everybody feels like brexit is going away, but nobody's told the currency markets, so if I want to sell pounds to pay my amazing Japanese builder I can still only get 145 yens each for them.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

Still sucks to be one of them, though.

I know. Super glad I left Wall Street
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    rcs1000 said:

The starting point will be, I’m certain, Wall Street is a synonym for publicly listed financial institution. So when BoA gives a bonus to all employees throughout the US, that will be Wall Street. Sort of true, no doubt, but utterly misleading,

Kind of a weird vibe right now where everybody feels like brexit is going away, but nobody's told the currency markets, so if I want to sell pounds to pay my amazing Japanese builder I can still only get 145 yens each for them.

So there's money to be made on either the betting or the currency markets. We just need to work out which.
    IanB2 said:

So there's money to be made on either the betting or the currency markets. We just need to work out which.
    I guess part of it is that there's still a non-zero risk of No Deal, and the downside of No Deal is quite a bit bigger than the upside of Revoke or Gimp Remain, even if the probability is lower.

AndyJS said:

O/T

That's about right IF you were a student. It was for a month only, and I did just that in 1976 it was £60 then. Still a bargain. I think it was called an Interrail pass
    And today even adults can get them. I have one ready to use, first class rail travel, anywhere in Europe for any five days over a month, £251.
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

But isn't this partly because tipped workers - which is a lot of people in the US - are excluded and can be paid as low as $2-$3 per hour?

IanB2 said:

I guess part of it is that there's still a non-zero risk of No Deal, and the downside of No Deal is quite a bit bigger than the upside of Revoke or Gimp Remain, even if the probability is lower.
    Nothing like selling the compromise option!

I think there is sterling upside on the currency markets. Which were doing well until the third rejection of May's deal.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited April 2019

Looking forward to seeing what's in the Tory EU election manifesto :lol:

Think they might need two parallel party election broadcasts, one for the leave with dealers and one for the no dealers...
    IanB2 said:

And there’s probably also some distortion of the comparatively small betting markets, by those hedging against movements in the currency markets.

Me? I get paid in USD and have a mortgage in GBP, so a drop in the pound works for me. Probably not for most on this board though, unless they work abroad or in domestic tourism.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,904
    matt said:

rcs1000 said:

The starting point will be, I’m certain, Wall Street is a synonym for publicly listed financial institution. So when BoA gives a bonus to all employees throughout the US, that will be Wall Street. Sort of true, no doubt, but utterly misleading,
    This is the source I think: https://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/mar19/032619.htm

It's just New York and it's based on the securities industry.
    The average bonus is estimated to be $153,700.
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

And there’s probably also some distortion of the comparatively small betting markets, by those hedging against movements in the currency markets.

Me? I get paid in USD and have a mortgage in GBP, so a drop in the pound works for me. Probably not for most on this board though, unless they work abroad or in domestic tourism.
    Just a coincidence that you've been arguing for no deal, then? Kind of us to take such a risk on your behalf. At least until the PM was told she could lose Northern Ireland.
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

And today even adults can get them. I have one ready to use, first class rail travel, anywhere in Europe for any five days over a month, £251.
    Do you have to use it outside the UK - that’s cheaper than a second class return to London for me..
    Sandpit said:

Yup, although there's also an effect in the opposite direction where the pounds that you get if you win a bet on No Deal are less valuable than the pounds you get with Deal/Revoke/Gimp Remain.
    edited April 2019
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Do you have to use it outside the UK - that’s cheaper than a second class return to London for me..
    There's a "three days in a month" ticket that is even cheaper. My price is a non refundable special offer that they do every spring and autumn, it's the normal second class price.

You can use two of the days for your first and last journey (from and to home) - which has to be home to an exit point or vice versa (otherwise it has to be outside the uk) Given that it's only a piece of paper that you write your trip on, you could easily use the ticket for an outward journey by pretending to be going to Dover. On your return the absence of foreign trips might look a bit odd - but I guess you could just make some up. There's a space alongside each leg where European ticket controllers usually put some kind of stamp or mark, but sometimes they don't, and I can't imagine the absence of such stamps would be challenged in the UK.

Because they sell in odd numbers of days I usually use the last day to cover my trip home, and waving the pass at the ticket inspector always seems to work; usually they don't even look at it.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,698
    Scott_P said:
    "Donald Trump, Steve Bannon, Mogg and Farage" four very good reasons for voting for somebody, anybody, else.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,077
    @Nigelb I had seen that, and thought it was very funny. However, given that he is almost as useless, pig-ignorant and unpleasant as Amanda Spielmann (which is saying quite something) I would say that if he is sacked it would be a definite plus of Brexit.

@Dixiedean anyone who has ever read an OFSTED report will know that is typical. Among my favourites are the time they threatened a school with special measures because 'an inadequate number of children do not make sufficient progress at GCSE' and the time they muddled up safeguarding and health and safety.
    Foxy said:

isam said:
    Did she vote for the withdrawal agreement?

Because if not, your point fails.

Sandpit said:

Yup, although there's also an effect in the opposite direction where the pounds that you get if you win a bet on No Deal are less valuable than the pounds you get with Deal/Revoke/Gimp Remain.
    Ooh, that’s a good point yes. I lost a little on the Leave On Time market, haven’t been playing any of the current ones though. Too much uncertainty!!
    edited April 2019

New Thread

A rare thread based on a spoof story
    edited April 2019

This thread is now in Flextension

Aww, my first goes down the pan.
    IanB2 said:

New Thread

A rare thread based on a spoof story
    And it appears to have been deleted.

In fairness, hard to tell the difference...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

Still highlights the problems of the greedy elite ivy league barstewards that a handful of no-users get paid 3 times what 600K people do. Exactly like the UK and explains Brexit and the mess we see here as well.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The post that has just gone up on Boris has been deleted.

The post that has just gone up on Boris has been deleted.

Another Boris campaign that quickly crumples.
    IanB2 said:

This thread is now in Flextension

Aww, my first goes down the pan.
    Nah, my ex-parrot supporting friend, it's still there for all time for all to see:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2280675/#Comment_2280675

The first that wasn't allowed to come to full fruition because the premise was based on a lie.

We shall call it...
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

Still highlights the problems of the greedy elite ivy league barstewards that a handful of no-users get paid 3 times what 600K people do. Exactly like the UK and explains Brexit and the mess we see here as well.
    But enough about me, lets talk about you.
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

How about this one:

Lloyd's of London calls time on drink and drugs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47858013
  • StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

By what logic?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

And we get to 600,000.

Are you still in Hamelin, Malc?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,472
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

No it doesn't.

She is not obligated to vote for any Brexit, just one that meets the criteria of her 2017 manifesto including CU and workers protections. It is an entirely consistent position, which is why Labour discipline on this has been so strong.
    Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

Why is is such a shock to you that compromise might be necessary to achieve Brexit, when just under half the electorate (and quite possibly more than that now) opposed it from the start.
    In case you hadn’t noticed, we have a hung parliament, elected since the referendum.

What makes you think that you have any entitlement to anything other than the bare legal fact of leaving the EU - which is the only question which was on the referendum ballot ?

Insisting on your way, in the teeth of half the country, without any mandate, is profoundly anti democratic.

When we joined did they consider those who voted no? Had remain won in 2016 would leavers concerns have been addressed? I doubt it
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

You might have a point, had the opposition had any input into, or even consultation on the WA. They didn’t. Though granted there are reasons for that, usually beginning with a C.

Had I the misfortune to be in parliament, I might, probably would have voted for the WA myself, but for a member of the opposition not to do so is hardly a negation of democracy.

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

When we joined did they consider those who voted no? Had remain won in 2016 would leavers concerns have been addressed? I doubt it
    So your only answer to a serious question is whataboutery not even grounded in reality.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Greetings from Carlingford in the Republic of Ireland, just across the Loughborough from the North. Yesterday I crossed the border on big roads and small at least half a dozen times. You only have to spend a little bit of time here to realise just how little we mainland Brits know about Ireland - or what Brexit will do to it. We’re almost entirely ignorant of the consequences of what was voted for.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr b,

"Insisting on your way, in the teeth of half the country,"

If the Scots vote for independence by 52 to 48, will you explain that to them?
    kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

You’re just a sore winner.
    kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

When the kippers were coming 2nd in by elections circa 2013-14, rather than accept there was a growing eurosceptic vote we were dismissively told it meant nothing in a FPTP contest. Now Leave wins a binary referendum and it’s all about ‘reaching out to the loser’
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087
    kamski said:

Like I said: on the same page of the 2015 Conservative manifesto where Dave promised an in-out referendum, he also promised to safeguard Britain's place in the Single Market. So the way to honour the referendum result in the spirit in which the referendum was promised would be to leave the EU but stay in the Single Market. But I wouldn't say not saying in the Single Market would single-handedly destroy all faith in democracy etc

That surely is just evidence that there wasn't room in Dave's Tiny Brain for the idea that the Referendum might actually be lost....
  • Greetings from Carlingford in the Republic of Ireland, just across the Loughborough from the North. Yesterday I crossed the border on big roads and small at least half a dozen times. You only have to spend a little bit of time here to realise just how little we mainland Brits know about Ireland - or what Brexit will do to it. We’re almost entirely ignorant of the consequences of what was voted for.

Are you therefore saying that the entire UK should have based their choice on Brexit on the issue of Northern Ireland alone?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Greetings from Carlingford in the Republic of Ireland, just across the Loughborough from the North. Yesterday I crossed the border on big roads and small at least half a dozen times. You only have to spend a little bit of time here to realise just how little we mainland Brits know about Ireland - or what Brexit will do to it. We’re almost entirely ignorant of the consequences of what was voted for.

Listening to two businessmen this morning on radio 5 discussing the intractable problems Brexit has created had the same effect.
    edited April 2019
    kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

Despite being a silly point it is also a wrong one - the endless tussles our government has had with the EU ever since our joining illustrate that the concerns of "leavers" have had a lot of attention. Rebates, opt outs, and the rest. Far too much attention, given the damage it has done and is doing to our country and its reputation in the world.

Are you therefore saying that the entire UK should have based their choice on Brexit on the issue of Northern Ireland alone?
    Given that it has helped determine the entire negotiating stance of the EU, probably not a bad idea to take some note of it.

I’m saying that our vote has dumped all over the people of Northern Ireland and made a United Ireland much more likely. The Northern Irish people are undoubtedly held in much lower regard in the UK than the Irish are in the EU.

edited April 2019

Strange to think that 44% of Irish voters backed leaving really

I assume you would answer in the negative.

If that question referred to, say Yorkshire, how would you answer?
    isam said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

When the kippers were coming 2nd in by elections circa 2013-14, rather than accept there was a growing eurosceptic vote we were dismissively told it meant nothing in a FPTP contest. Now Leave wins a binary referendum and it’s all about ‘reaching out to the loser’
    If you want a settled Brexit, then yes, it is.

The implementation of Brexit has been clearly demonstrated not to be a binary choice - as many of those who voted leave have been telling you on here.

“It’s my turn to be unfair” is not a persuasive argument to those who disagree with you.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr b,

"So your only answer to a serious question is whataboutery not even grounded in reality."

How about Scottish independence? Is that whataboutery?

Mr w,

If I had to explain the Brexit vote and the reaction to it in one word, it would be "Arrogance."

Some Remainers persist in thinking they are special people. Their judgement is superior to the common herd. How dare the thick and ignorant win a referendum. It must be stopped at all costs and by all means. That attitude will keep the sore open.
    isam said:

Not really - it's the sod you vote caused by austerity / immigration.....

kamski said:

That surely is just evidence that there wasn't room in Dave's Tiny Brain for the idea that the Referendum might actually be lost....
    Ah, so Tory manifestos are inviolate only when you agree with them?
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

The implementation of Brexit has been clearly demonstrated not to be a binary choice - as many of those who voted leave have been telling you on here.

“It’s my turn to be unfair” is not a persuasive argument to those who disagree with you.
    How am I personally being unfair?! It’s nothing to do with me how Brexit is or isn’t implemented!

I’m just pointing out how things were when the boot was on the other foot, although I would like to hear what concessions would be made to the leave 48% had the result been reversed, or let’s say ‘what concessions will be made if a 2nd ref is 52-48 Remain?’
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

Despite being a silly point it is also a wrong one - the endless tussles our government has had with the EU ever since our joining illustrate that the concerns of "leavers" have had a lot of attention. Rebates, opt outs, and the rest. Far too much attention, given the damage it has done and is doing to our country and its reputation in the world.
    Are you saying the uk should have rolled over and just ceded all our sovereignty to Brussels and not asked for a rebate in an unfair system that benefited France and Germany more than us ? That’s the problem with you remainers you put the EU interest before the national interest
    For some reason I'm thinking of that scene where James Bond is tied to that table with the slowly progressing laser gun.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

How many times did that happen? Apart from occasions when a Tory MP became a kipper and re-fought his seat?
    And, yes, course, there was Clacton!
    eek said:

isam said:

eek said:

isam said:

You would think the Irish didn’t get a vote on it the way they are portrayed as victims of English selfishness. They did, and almost half of them were so nonplussed about the border issue they voted Leave

CD13 said:

Mr b,

"Insisting on your way, in the teeth of half the country,"

If the Scots vote for independence by 52 to 48, will you explain that to them?

If that were the case, and the winning side behaved like the Brexiteers, it would be an equal mess.

To re-iterate the point, as you don’t seem to have taken it on board, the referendum vote was for leaving the EU. That could mean Norway every bit as much as WTO, and the former would probably have been accomplished by now without a tenth of the trouble.
    Roger said:

Listening to two businessmen this morning on radio 5 discussing the intractable problems Brexit has created had the same effect.

You read about people, goods and services moving freely across the border in Ireland, but then you see it - and all the back road memorials to dead IRA and INLA men killed on what’s termed “active service” - and it really hits home how much things have changed.

isam said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

kjohnw said:

Nigelb said:

kjohnw said:

How am I personally being unfair?! It’s nothing to do with me how Brexit is or isn’t implemented!

I’m just pointing out how things were when the boot was on the other foot, although I would like to hear what concessions would be made to the leave 48% had the result been reversed, or let’s say ‘what concessions will be made if a 2nd ref is 52-48 Remain?’
    What concessions would have satisfied you and how would they have been delivered?
This discussion has been closed.