Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cooper-Letwin, forcing Article 50 to be delayed, is enacted an

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052

Jeezo, and she's supposed to be from the not completely moonbat kipper wing.

https://twitter.com/SuzanneEvans1/status/1115530057240518656

She's been howling at the moon for quite some time. I would have said she's been on a journey from the days when people said she could have been a cabinet minister in a Tory government, but she'd still fit right in.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    DavidL said:

Any of the activists on here fancy Campaigning for the EU elections

I think I will give it a miss.

Of course I will, and so should you. We shouldn't just campaign when it's easy.
    As I quite enjoy being in a majority (Indyref, Brexit, etc) I will not even vote. Be surprised if 25% of people do.
    Vote with 2 fingers up - give your vote to someone outside the big 2 whatever flavour you prefer.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Or they just expect the party and MPs to abide by the manifesto commitments they were voted in on...
    They weren't voted in on the manifesto. They did not get consent for that manifesto.
    All the people that voted Conservative did so in the expectation that, if in Downing Street, May would meet her commitment to Brexit outside a Customs Union given in the Manifesto.

The people of Northern Ireland voted in the DUP in the expectation that they would also deliver their manifesto commitment to Brexit. Together, that gave a majority for Brexit across the UK.

The Conservatives and the DUP came to an financial arrangement to keep the Conservatives in power. That arrangement would allow both to deliver their Manifesto commitments.

They seem very quiet about the rest of the manifesto.

Even Tory and DUP voters don't constitute a majority anyway
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    When I was door=knocking in Battersea last year, my impression was that lots of Labour members had no idea what they were doing. Instead of dispersing, and having one or two people working a street, you'd see a whole group of them turning up on someone's doorstep.
    The Momentumescents do seem to have got the campaigning bug here, though it's as much market stall campaigning (where they can set up en masse) as their beloved hashtag #LabourDoorstep. But I think they're going to do well on May 2nd. I'm not too confident in OGH's prediction of the previous thread that "The Tories have most to defend and look set to make some losses though mostly to the LDs", sadly.
    Locally Labour are trying to make the local elections a national / brexit poll as they have done so badly locally they really need to be replaced.

Whether that happens is a different matter.
    Actually I'm trying to make it a local election in my patch, but the pesky voters insist it's all about Brexit. As I tweeted the other day:

Canvassing 2019:
    Voter: I'm fed up with politicians going on about Brexit. Nobody listens about issues that matter to me!
    Me: Well, I'm here and want to improve our area. What would you like to discuss?
    Voter: Well...er... what do YOU think about Brexit?
    Me: (Sigh)
    You'll be delighted to know that I intend to vote on a local question in the local election. I'm just waiting for the candidates to rock up on my doorstep so that I can buttonhole them about it.

Actually, this runs in the family. My mum - lifelong Conservative of the Christian democrat type - is going to be enthusiastically voting Lib Dem because she knows and highly rates their candidate and is thinking about campaigning for her (at 77, a first for my mum).
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Dismas64 said:

So, using the PB rule that Robert Peston is always wrong – when he said on ITV News last night that he couldn't see how Brexit worked then I knew it must be possible to see the way through….

The moment has now come when everyone (who matters!) can claim a win. This is when a resolution is possible.

The WA passes soon because

1) Macron can claim he saved Europe and the European dream from Perfidious Albion who might either revoke and scupper the budget or No Deal and cause economic chaos.
    2) Merkel has left Europe satisfied with a deal that works – and helped avoid/limit a German recession
    3) Varadker has avoided No Deal (though been lent on by Merkel to deliver a time limit to the Backstop – hence her visit last week and Barnier yesterday)
    4) DUP has got an amendment to the Backstop to put some kind of nominal time limit on it
    5) Grieve/Cooper and co. have limited the danger of No Deal
    6) Corbyn looks Prime Ministerial by getting an amendment to the Political Declaration, by finding a route through in the national interest – and so enhancing his chances of becoming PM in the GE which will surely occur soonsnce he appears less of a risk. Oh, and the passing of the WA and actually Brexiting kills the TIGs who lose their raison d’etre – Labour stays united. He also avoids a second referendum.
    7) Labour MPs are not whipped so can either abstain, support or vote against. The non whipping permits the whole thing to pass but each individual Labour MP can create their own story
    8) Tory MPs are whipped to support. The Tory party shows some limited unity, ERG are irrelevant to the final result and life goes on.

Thus all that is required for this to occur is a change in wording to the PD about workers rights etc., some kind of 10 year limit to the backstop from the European council as a last minute fudge (typical Europe) and lo, May gets Brexit and gets to go off into the sunset.

A solution that works for all a little bit. That is what I can now see….am I wrong or is Peston wrong?

Oh, and as a rider. May has now spent 3 years becoming the world’s best negotiator (if the above transpires). She understands all the details, understands the people and the pressure points and the process. Therefore she is actually who should negotiate the final deal during the WA period. She won’t of course – but that is what should happen. Ignore Gove – use the experts!

That’s a great analysis - I think some Leavers will hold their tongues if the DUP are OK with it. I really cannot see how a long stop on the backstop would be an issue. If article 50 is only 2 years then 10 years really shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Or they just expect the party and MPs to abide by the manifesto commitments they were voted in on...
    They weren't voted in on the manifesto. They did not get consent for that manifesto.
    Individual MPs were, weren't they?
    Doesn't matter events have overtaken the 2017 manifesto and all individual MPs' decisions should be taken in the light of the new HoC dynamic.

If you want to go through the 2017 Conservative manifesto highlighting those policies not implemented I would set aside an hour or three.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Chris said:

Does anyone think the 30% implied probability of leaving by the end of June (on Betfair) looks too low?

I would say it was about twice as high as it should be. Even if the EU and the UK both say "fuck everything, lets crash the bus" I'd expect them to make some time to line up a truck ready to get the wreckage out of the fast lane.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Dura_Ace said:

kjohnw said:

Dismas64 said:

All sounds plausible but will the ducks line up in a row?
    At least 100 tories would rebel on CU so no.
    They'll call it something else to try and save face. A customs alignment or some crap. If labour are on board 100 Tory rebels isn't enough anyway
    The good thing about a CU is that there's no possibility of fudge - CU agreements get lodged with the WTO - so either it is, or it isn't.

I think 100 is incredibly pessimistic - it'd be more like 250, with dozens of resignations to vote against it.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    When I was door=knocking in Battersea last year, my impression was that lots of Labour members had no idea what they were doing. Instead of dispersing, and having one or two people working a street, you'd see a whole group of them turning up on someone's doorstep.
    The Momentumescents do seem to have got the campaigning bug here, though it's as much market stall campaigning (where they can set up en masse) as their beloved hashtag #LabourDoorstep. But I think they're going to do well on May 2nd. I'm not too confident in OGH's prediction of the previous thread that "The Tories have most to defend and look set to make some losses though mostly to the LDs", sadly.
    Locally Labour are trying to make the local elections a national / brexit poll as they have done so badly locally they really need to be replaced.

Actually I'm trying to make it a local election in my patch, but the pesky voters insist it's all about Brexit. As I tweeted the other day:

Canvassing 2019:
    Voter: I'm fed up with politicians going on about Brexit. Nobody listens about issues that matter to me!
    Me: Well, I'm here and want to improve our area. What would you like to discuss?
    You'll be delighted to know that I intend to vote on a local question in the local election. I'm just waiting for the candidates to rock up on my doorstep so that I can buttonhole them about it.

Actually, this runs in the family. My mum - lifelong Conservative of the Christian democrat type - is going to be enthusiastically voting Lib Dem because she knows and highly rates their candidate and is thinking about campaigning for her (at 77, a first for my mum).
    I thought you lived in London where there are no local elections this year
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022

She's been howling at the moon for quite some time. I would have said she's been on a journey from the days when people said she could have been a cabinet minister in a Tory government, but she'd still fit right in.
    Lol, or a contender in the next Tory leader market.
  • Options

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

I escaped to the country last year. My MP is now Bernard Jenkin.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    All the people that voted Conservative did so in the expectation that, if in Downing Street, May would meet her commitment to Brexit outside a Customs Union given in the Manifesto.

The people of Northern Ireland voted in the DUP in the expectation that they would also deliver their manifesto commitment to Brexit. Together, that gave a majority for Brexit across the UK.

The Conservatives and the DUP came to an financial arrangement to keep the Conservatives in power. That arrangement would allow both to deliver their Manifesto commitments.
    I think we are in a ceteris non paribus situation here, however. These issues can't be seen in isolation.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

Little sign of any canvassing or other campaigning locally, although I understand one, possibly both, of the Independents had a morning in the small neighbouring village a couple of Saturdays ago, and we have a Conservative leaflet through the door praising the (current) active and independent Conservatives, of whom I personally have seen and heard nothing since the last elections. Neither of them even appear to put in an occasional appearance at Parish Council meetings.
    Might be something at the weekly market on Thursday, I suppose.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited April 2019
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus, talk about moving the goalposts! Remind me about Tony Blair's majority of voters, with his cushion of a 179 seat majority.... (Hint: he got 43.2%.....)
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

Commiserations.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

It's on here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum#Standard_polling_on_EU_membership

As with most polls, when the election was a real thing, it seemed to get more accurate. When it was a hypothetical, it was dire

TBF the online polling looks pretty great, even quite a long way out.
    Depends what you consider to be a long way out
    From the start of Jan 2016 until Cameron announced the referendum date on Feb 20th

Online polls had it 50/50
    Phone polls 58/42 Remain

From then on

Online 51/49 Leave
    Phone 53/47 Remain

All 2016 polls

Online 51/49 Leave
    Phone 54/46 Remain

Average 51/49 Remain

Wiki doesnt split 2015 polls by Online or Phone unfortunately, but the average was 54/46 Remain
  • Options

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

Désolé.
  • Options

Dismas64 said:

So, using the PB rule that Robert Peston is always wrong – when he said on ITV News last night that he couldn't see how Brexit worked then I knew it must be possible to see the way through….

The moment has now come when everyone (who matters!) can claim a win. This is when a resolution is possible.

The WA passes soon because

1) Macron can claim he saved Europe and the European dream from Perfidious Albion who might either revoke and scupper the budget or No Deal and cause economic chaos.
    2) Merkel has left Europe satisfied with a deal that works – and helped avoid/limit a German recession
    3) Varadker has avoided No Deal (though been lent on by Merkel to deliver a time limit to the Backstop – hence her visit last week and Barnier yesterday)
    4) DUP has got an amendment to the Backstop to put some kind of nominal time limit on it
    5) Grieve/Cooper and co. have limited the danger of No Deal
    6) Corbyn looks Prime Ministerial by getting an amendment to the Political Declaration, by finding a route through in the national interest – and so enhancing his chances of becoming PM in the GE which will surely occur soonsnce he appears less of a risk. Oh, and the passing of the WA and actually Brexiting kills the TIGs who lose their raison d’etre – Labour stays united. He also avoids a second referendum.
    7) Labour MPs are not whipped so can either abstain, support or vote against. The non whipping permits the whole thing to pass but each individual Labour MP can create their own story
    8) Tory MPs are whipped to support. The Tory party shows some limited unity, ERG are irrelevant to the final result and life goes on.

Thus all that is required for this to occur is a change in wording to the PD about workers rights etc., some kind of 10 year limit to the backstop from the European council as a last minute fudge (typical Europe) and lo, May gets Brexit and gets to go off into the sunset.

A solution that works for all a little bit. That is what I can now see….am I wrong or is Peston wrong?

Oh, and as a rider. May has now spent 3 years becoming the world’s best negotiator (if the above transpires). She understands all the details, understands the people and the pressure points and the process. Therefore she is actually who should negotiate the final deal during the WA period. She won’t of course – but that is what should happen. Ignore Gove – use the experts!

That’s a great analysis - I think some Leavers will hold their tongues if the DUP are OK with it. I really cannot see how a long stop on the backstop would be an issue. If article 50 is only 2 years then 10 years really shouldn’t be a problem.
    4 is the weakest link
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Voters decided not to give May a majority and so they didn’t approve the manifesto . I don’t hear much bleating about the social care policy biting the dust . But amazingly now the Brexit parts are like Moses Ten Commandments in stone . More Leave hypocrisy !
    Both the main parties were emphatic in respecting the referendum, and endorsing quite a hard brexit with the end of free movement.

Labour manifesto:
    Labour accepts the referendum result and a Labour government will put the national interest first.
    Freedom of movement will end when we leave the European Union.

Conservative manifesto:
    LEAVING THE EUROPEAN UNION
    Following the historic referendum on 23rd June 2016, the United Kingdom is leaving
    the European Union.
    We will therefore establish an
    immigration policy that allows us to reduce and control the number of people who come
    to Britain from the European Union, while still allowing us to attract the skilled workers
    our economy needs.

Now we all know that intentions and commitments sometimes hit the cold reality of the world and sometimes dont survive in the same way initially thought. But it would not be unreasonable to assume that both the main parties (that got about 84% of the votes cast in the 2017 election) had a cast iron commitment to Brexit and ending free movement.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Doesn't matter events have overtaken the 2017 manifesto and all individual MPs' decisions should be taken in the light of the new HoC dynamic.

If you want to go through the 2017 Conservative manifesto highlighting those policies not implemented I would set aside an hour or three.
    By that logic you could say that all Remain statements pre referendum are null and void and their calls for another one are legit I suppose.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

Commiserations.
    You shouldn't have gone so far East. You could have had Priti Patel.

Who, incidentally, seems to have gone quiet.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Commiserations.

Désolé.
    It's a problem for him as well as me.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Voters decided not to give May a majority and so they didn’t approve the manifesto . I don’t hear much bleating about the social care policy biting the dust . But amazingly now the Brexit parts are like Moses Ten Commandments in stone . More Leave hypocrisy !
    Both the main parties were emphatic in respecting the referendum, and endorsing quite a hard brexit with the end of free movement.

Labour manifesto:
    Labour accepts the referendum result and a Labour government will put the national interest first.

Conservative manifesto:
    Following the historic referendum on 23rd June 2016, the United Kingdom is leaving
    the European Union.
    immigration policy that allows us to reduce and control the number of people who come
    to Britain from the European Union, while still allowing us to attract the skilled workers
    our economy needs.

Now we all know that intentions and commitments sometimes hit the cold reality of the world and sometimes dont survive in the same way initially thought. But it would not be unreasonable to assume that both the main parties (that got about 84% of the votes cast in the 2017 election) had a cast iron commitment to Brexit and ending free movement.
    Selective quoting esp from Labour
  • Options

IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Jesus, talk about moving the goalposts! Remind me about Tony Blair's majority of voters, with his cushion of a 179 seat majority.... (Hint: he got 43.2%.....)
    Our absurd voting system doesnt have any goalposts
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

By that logic you could say that all Remain statements pre referendum are null and void and their calls for another one are legit I suppose.
    when facts change...
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Personal note; at last, after a week, BT have fixed my new faster broadband. Download 48.5, upload 9.
    Not entirely their fault; they appear to have been let down by a sub-contractor, although of course.......

Interesting, i have BT broadband which last night was a paltry 5Mb/s download, but upload speed was double that (??)

I have been cold called a couple of times by people claiming to be from BT and saying they have noticed my speed was down...i assumed it was a scam but maybe not! lol
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Notme, that tallies with what another PBer (forgot who, sorry) reported a few months ago, namely that China's becoming a bit more anti-foreign in terms of business, which also fits with Xi's bolstering of the armed forces and a more nationalist approach.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

kjohnw said:

Dismas64 said:

All sounds plausible but will the ducks line up in a row?
    At least 100 tories would rebel on CU so no.
    They'll call it something else to try and save face. A customs alignment or some crap. If labour are on board 100 Tory rebels isn't enough anyway
    The good thing about a CU is that there's no possibility of fudge - CU agreements get lodged with the WTO - so either it is, or it isn't.

I think 100 is incredibly pessimistic - it'd be more like 250, with dozens of resignations to vote against it.
    They had their chance. May offered a diamond hard brexit, we might end up with no brexit or a floppy old man's brexit...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:

You are fortunate, indeed.
  • Options

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

Roger said:

kle4 said:

And so Cooper will get her desire of no Brexit. A remarkable achievement

The Angel of the North! They'll build statues of her. Buildings will be named after her. Mandela Way will become Cooper-Balls Boulevard. The third runway will be 'Yvettes'........
    They could open a child refugee centre in her name, and keep it empty.
    Miaow!
    Funniest satire on pb.com in a while though....
    Aw thanks...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    notme2 said:

Having being an activist for twenty two years ive never campaigned in a euro election except when coincided with a local election.
    Well, you're not alone. When I was a Euro candidate in E Sussex & South Kent in 1995, I discovered that Hastings CLP had scheduled a fucking routine members' meeting (Minutes of last meeting and all that) ON ELECTION DAY. It still annoys me to think about it, 24 years later (yes, I should get a life :)).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    edited April 2019
    notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Labour manifesto:

Conservative manifesto:
    the European Union.
    our economy needs.

Just to quibble, it would be entirely possible to control and reduce immigration to some extent even if retaining freedom of movement.

So not exactly "cast iron" on free movement.

Indeed immigration from the EU has fallen.

From the latest quarterly migration report:
    non-EU net migration was the highest since 2004; this follows a gradual increase in immigration of non-EU citizens over the past five years for both work and study
    the number of EU citizens coming to the UK continues to add to the population; however, EU net migration has fallen to a level last seen in 2009 due mainly to a decrease in EU immigration
    more EU8 citizens, those from the Central and Eastern European countries, left the UK than arrived, as the numbers arriving fell and the numbers leaving increased; this recent pattern for EU8 citizens differs to those from all other EU countries, where we have continued to see more people arriving than leaving...
  • Options

eek said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Canvassing 2019:
    Rinse and repeat.... Do you feel that its depressing lab and con in similar amounts? Area i'm in is 60/40 to leave and the wont votes are more from lab than con (not by huge amount though).
  • Options

I dont think there is a section of UKIP no moonbat. Maybe about eight to ten years ago I saw them as free market economic liberals seeking to turn the UK into the greatest free trading nation on the planet. Now they seem to be BNP lite with a mix of EDL chasing anti immigration and reactionary socialism.
  • Options

Personal note; at last, after a week, BT have fixed my new faster broadband. Download 48.5, upload 9.
    Not entirely their fault; they appear to have been let down by a sub-contractor, although of course.......

Interesting, i have BT broadband which last night was a paltry 5Mb/s download, but upload speed was double that (??)

Snip
    Were your replies on PB appearing before you had read the comments?
  • Options

notme2 said:

Having being an activist for twenty two years ive never campaigned in a euro election except when coincided with a local election.
    Well, you're not alone. When I was a Euro candidate in E Sussex & South Kent in 1995, I discovered that Hastings CLP had scheduled a fucking routine members' meeting (Minutes of last meeting and all that) ON ELECTION DAY. It still annoys me to think about it, 24 years later (yes, I should get a life :)).
    I think you had a fair point there! What’s the point in standing for a party, if the party members won’t help you knock doors on election day?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Labour manifesto:

Conservative manifesto:
    the European Union.
    our economy needs.

Just to quibble, it would be entirely possible to control and reduce immigration to some extent even if retaining freedom of movement.

non-EU net migration was the highest since 2004; this follows a gradual increase in immigration of non-EU citizens over the past five years for both work and study
    the number of EU citizens coming to the UK continues to add to the population; however, EU net migration has fallen to a level last seen in 2009 due mainly to a decrease in EU immigration
    more EU8 citizens, those from the Central and Eastern European countries, left the UK than arrived, as the numbers arriving fell and the numbers leaving increased; this recent pattern for EU8 citizens differs to those from all other EU countries, where we have continued to see more people arriving than leaving...
    EU migration is not my driving force, i think the government should stop being lazy and use this opportunity to make welfare contributory and fully enforce all the powers the free movement of labour already permits.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    notme2 said:

I dont think there is a section of UKIP no moonbat. Maybe about eight to ten years ago I saw them as free market economic liberals seeking to turn the UK into the greatest free trading nation on the planet. Now they seem to be BNP lite with a mix of EDL chasing anti immigration and reactionary socialism.
    I thought Suzzie had switched to Brexit Party/Leave Means Leave?
  • Options

I have been cold called a couple of times by people claiming to be from BT and saying they have noticed my speed was down...i assumed it was a scam but maybe not! lol
    I don't trust cold calls from BT, either. I don't know why their Technical Department (Ha!) can't do something; mines a BT line too.
    However, I had an email from them, referring me to their website, saying that could now provide fibre in our area, so I went on the website...... not straight from the email. And yes, it was all kosher. To date they've given me a £20 credit for the hassle. Engineer this morning was extremely helpful and positive. Explained everything simply and understandably; a credit to the company.
  • Options

It was, and is always a scam!!!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119

Chris said:

Does anyone think the 30% implied probability of leaving by the end of June (on Betfair) looks too low?

I would say it was about twice as high as it should be. Even if the EU and the UK both say "fuck everything, lets crash the bus" I'd expect them to make some time to line up a truck ready to get the wreckage out of the fast lane.
    I'm not thinking of No Deal. I'm thinking of the political pressure on May from her own party to leave as soon as possible.

It still seems to be a given that the Withdrawal Agreement is non-negotiable. Given that, I am not sure what solution is going to emerge during a long extension that couldn't equally well be achieved by the end of June.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Labour manifesto:

Conservative manifesto:
    the European Union.
    our economy needs.

Selective quoting esp from Labour
    Without posting the hundreds of words from Labour and con manifestos, i had to be selective. I wasnt selective to mislead. The lab manifesto was very much against May's negotiating strategy and said if it won it would do it differently. But both lab and con were utterly clear that Brexit happening was not in question and both supported it.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

I was quite rude to a caller who said she was from BT the other day; turned out she actually was!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    isam said:
    I think they should fire Water.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    Chris said:

Chris said:

I'm not thinking of No Deal. I'm thinking of the political pressure on May from her own party to leave as soon as possible.

It still seems to be a given that the Withdrawal Agreement is non-negotiable. Given that, I am not sure what solution is going to emerge during a long extension that couldn't equally well be achieved by the end of June.
    Who's saying there would be a solution???
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    isam said:
    Sounds like he's had a drink... And not just water! :D
  • Options
    notme2 said:

To be strictly fair to Evans she resigned from UKIP when they became involved with Tommy Robinson, think she's unaligned currently. Being in thrall to Lilicoism isn't good for the moonbat quotient tho'.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

I went through a period of getting them several times a day, very annoying. The last time I asked if they wanted putting through to the IT department. A pause and they hung up, never to call again
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    It was a whisky course of action. It will have a significant beering on his future.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

I don't trust cold calls from BT, either. I don't know why their Technical Department (Ha!) can't do something; mines a BT line too.
    However, I had an email from them, referring me to their website, saying that could now provide fibre in our area, so I went on the website...... not straight from the email. And yes, it was all kosher. To date they've given me a £20 credit for the hassle. Engineer this morning was extremely helpful and positive. Explained everything simply and understandably; a credit to the company.
    Thanks

I have had around 35Mb before fairly consistently, seems to be a new thing that it's gone rubbish :-/ I will contact them

Anyway the way it's going i will be mainly foraging for food in a few days rather than stressing about first world problems like iPlayer freezing during Line Of Duty... :-)
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I see the SDP are not standing in the euros (press release yesterday) and O'Flynn is their PPC for Peterborough. Anyone know how many local candidates they are standing?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Who's saying there would be a solution???
    OK - if people are saying that they think the result will be a long extension eventually leading to revocation, I can understand that point of view, but I'm sceptical that it will happen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    It was a whisky course of action. It will have a significant beering on his future.
    Danny Drinklager
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

EU migration is not my driving force, i think the government should stop being lazy and use this opportunity to make welfare contributory and fully enforce all the powers the free movement of labour already permits.
    One of the downsides of the NHS is the lack of will or infrastructure to enable payments for those not entitled to pfree at the point of use healthcare
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

notme2 said:

I think you had a fair point there! What’s the point in standing for a party, if the party members won’t help you knock doors on election day?
    or... What's the point of the European Parliament... Back then of course it was even more pointless than it is now.
  • Options
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Danny Drinklager
    New chant for future matches:

'Whose cider are you on?'
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

The monarch is the latest enemy of the people.

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/status/1115519090876190721?s=21

What on earth is he talking about?!

Spoof, surely?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

notme2 said:

I went through a period of getting them several times a day, very annoying. The last time I asked if they wanted putting through to the IT department. A pause and they hung up, never to call again
    They ring me on a Virgin Media line, and of course when I ask them what BT line they are calling about, they can't say. Though sometimes they try to tell me it isn't about a particular line, just about my internet connection.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. The overwhelming majority of MPs at the last election made statements as part of their campaign explicitly saying they would not reverse the referendum result.
  • Options

kle4 said:

And so Cooper will get her desire of no Brexit. A remarkable achievement

How do you see that happening?
    Long extension for starters. Keeps alive GE and referendum options which will lead to remain.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

These are very common scams, the other main one being from "Microsoft". The aim is to try persuade you to send money somewhere, or get you to install software on your machine (then they can rip off credit cards, bank accounts, etc).

• Options
    IanB2 said:

notme2 said:

Thanks; I'll try that. They seem to use a variety of numbers, too, which makes blocking difficult.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    What red lines of theirs are they ditching?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    At least he didn’t panic and go on the rum.

I hope he gets off or he’ll end up bitter on the sidelines getting stout.
  • Options

notme2 said:

Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

One of the downsides of the NHS is the lack of will or infrastructure to enable payments for those not entitled to pfree at the point of use healthcare
    Yup. Another way we shaft ourselves and not recover payment. Even if we charged i bet it would be at the nominal cost and not include the overhead costs. ie. the cost of the bandage and the staff time associated with the treatment, but not a portion of all the overhead costs such as the hospital the stand by ambulances the chains of management, the pfi fees, the gas bill etc.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

It was definitely Murphy's law.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Well sonny, this breathalyser says it’s not water you’ve been drinking...
  • Options
    Andrew said:

These are very common scams, the other main one being from "Microsoft". The aim is to try persuade you to send money somewhere, or get you to install software on your machine (then they can rip off credit cards, bank accounts, etc).

Indeed. I often get Microsoft technical department. I had one from there ring me back when I told her to f off cos it's a scam shouting at me, lol, so I said fine, but I don't have a computer to download your viral software to. She hung up on me!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    The red line of talking with the evil Tories, obv.
  • Options
    Debenham's creditors have taken possession of the business:

Debenhams falls into hands of lenders
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47864580
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I rather think they have the stronger hand. As well as being closer to voter consensus
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed. The overwhelming majority of MPs at the last election made statements as part of their campaign explicitly saying they would not reverse the referendum result.
    Weren't we talking about a customs union, or what Nick Boles suggested CM2.0? Nothing to do with reversing the referendum result.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Thanks; I'll try that. They seem to use a variety of numbers, too, which makes blocking difficult.

I used to have this too, drove me nuts. Solution was a landline phone with built-in call blocker - mine is a BT 8500 but presumably there are lots of others.

What it does is when anyone calls from a number not on my contact list, the phone picks up and asks for them to hit number X. Since scammers all use robo-diallers, they can't get past this stage and the call eventually get dropped without ever bothering me (it never even rings). Now the coldcallers never get through.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Let he who is without sin throw the first stein.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

It was definitely Murphy's law.
    He”s Carling his Agent now - he had a Stella new deal lined up but no more.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Weren't we talking about a customs union, or what Nick Boles suggested CM2.0? Nothing to do with reversing the referendum result.
    If you end up spending damn near as much for the CU as you did in membership, then that is damn near as good as reversing the referendum result......
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Its 2019s Woolies
  • Options

Looking at Com Res' numbers, every option put forward has more people saying unacceptable than acceptable.

30% of Labour voters regard a second referendum as unacceptable, so one can understand why some Labour MP's are holding out against it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    TGOHF said:
    Add another person who can't look beyond the immediate issue to see the real problem...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    I rather think they have the stronger hand. As well as being closer to voter consensus
    Yes, but its not a compromise agreement if there's no compromise, meaning no agreement. If they are serious they need to concede something too.

Otherwise it's just posturing and demanding the other side do what you want, which May has been criticised for
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    isam said:
    Seems harsh for a Mere collision.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    ydoethur said:

Who shops in Debenhams these days?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I ordered something from them yesterday via Amazon. Guess it isn't going to arrive now?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It's a fair question, given their election position was voted for by a million people less than May's......
  • Options
    Hmmmm Tories and labour having an informal lunch followed by negotiation session. Sounds dealish to me..........
  • Options

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    If you end up spending damn near as much for the CU as you did in membership, then that is damn near as good as reversing the referendum result......
    It is leaving the EU. That was the question. I know it was three years ago but let's try to focus on the verifiable facts.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Its 2019s Woolies
    Sadly true. But then, much retail is 2019 Woolies.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    ydoethur said:

Nice to hear Mike Ashley has lost £150m worth of shares.

• Options
    Andrew said:

I used to have this too, drove me nuts. Solution was a landline phone with built-in call blocker - mine is a BT 8500 but presumably there are lots of others.

What it does is when anyone calls from a number not on my contact list, the phone picks up and asks for them to hit number X. Since scammers all use robo-diallers, they can't get past this stage and the call eventually get dropped without ever bothering me (it never even rings). Now the coldcallers never get through.
    Sounds good. Friend of mine has Sky and when she's phoned by someone for the first time the system cuts in and asks for the callers number. If she approves it, fine, and after that one's gets through without problem.

A relative by marriage was silly enough to follow through on a 'Microsoft Technical' call and it cost him a couple of hundred pounds to 'de-virus' his computer. Trouble was, the caller sounded OK, and my relative is a bit deaf.
  • Options

Hmmmm Tories and labour having an informal lunch followed by negotiation session. Sounds dealish to me..........

beer and sandwiches?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

PUN overload
  • Options

isam said:
    Seems harsh for a Mere collision.
    Apparently he was with Ross Barkley. He said to the policeman “Don’t arrest him - he’s my best Bud.”

The policeman was not convinced so Barkley pleaded “Please let him come with us - we’re playing a game of five aside with our other mates, and if you arrest him I’ll be a Bud Light”
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    It is leaving the EU. That was the question. I know it was three years ago but let's try to focus on the verifiable facts.
    But if you tell voters that you will have a Brexit bonus that you are investing in the NHS - then spend that Brexit bonus, not on the NHS, but on paying the EU for Corbyn's wanky CU - May will discover in short shrift how that plays.....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Its 2019s Woolies
    Sadly true. But then, much retail is 2019 Woolies.....
    Indeed. It's all online now. And all mechanized etc. We will need universal income within the decade, we are entering the post work world. City centres will revert to primarily residential
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I do. I've always thought they were pretty good. It's a pity to see them go.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

PUN overload
    My hero is Andy Zaltzman
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I do. I've always thought they were pretty good. It's a pity to see them go.
    They should have taken Ashley's offer
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

beer and sandwiches?
    I said that very thing on Twitter ;)
This discussion has been closed.