Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Telegraph piece backs 400/1 shot Mark Francois to be next CON

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Macron being very no dealish according to Rigby, no serious idea on table
  • Options
    Tbf Boulton has a backbone with the tensile strength of a curly wurly
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:
    Is Westminster a better school than Eton? Discuss....
  • Options

Tbf Boulton has a backbone with the tensile strength of a curly wurly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwXSYcXbVYY
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Scott_P said:
    Not tonight but I think the Cabinet will end May's time as PM tomorrow or Friday.
  • Options
    Betting on Francois is definitely more likely than my bets on Sherrod Brown and Tulsi Gabbard.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204

HYUFD said:
    Jealousy is Eton the Moggsters alive.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Scott_P said:
    If it means so much to Bone, why does he not resign the whip in protest? I don't think the Brexit supporting MPs have been squeezed hard enough as none are willing to walk away from the party and if they do Boris becoming PM diminishes...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    TGOHF said:
    She's been the DUP leader for ages, where is this guy getting his info.

I don't know why Arlene has got a strop on about this, isn't it what she actually wanted?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I don't know why Arlene has got a strop on about this, isn't it what she actually wanted?
    He means 'new' as in 'breaking news'.
  • Options

You can imagine him thinking:
    I say Non and then either les Rosbifs revoke (and we make fun of them forever),or they pass the WA in a panic (and we make fun of them forever while passing whatever rules we like to choke their industry) or they No Deal (and probably crawl back in a few weeks to sign the WA anyway).
    Their gouvernement has shown itself so useless that they won't make a success of their economy outside the EU anyway.
    Where is the downside?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    ydoethur said:

TGOHF said:

He means 'new' as in 'breaking news'.
    Oh.
  • Options

You can imagine him thinking:
    I say Non and then either les Rosbifs revoke (and we make fun of them forever),or they pass the WA in a panic (and we make fun of them forever while passing whatever rules we like to choke their industry) or they No Deal (and probably crawl back in a few weeks to sign the WA anyway).
    Their gouvernement has shown itself so useless that they won't make a success of their economy outside the EU anyway.
    Where is the downside?
    I'm amazed it's not their preferred position tbh
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Two public schoolboys arguing over which of them went to a ‘better’ school. Even PB’s falsely modest Cowley Tech / Fen Poly wank is more bearable.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Chuka can always have a "People's Vote" in his constituency anytime he likes...

#justsaying
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not tonight but I think the Cabinet will end May's time as PM tomorrow or Friday.
    How?
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Two public schoolboys arguing over which of them went to a ‘better’ school. Even PB’s falsely modest Cowley Tech / Fen Poly wank is more bearable.

And pointless. After all, we all know the greatest university in the world is Aberystwyth.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I think old Fathead takes the biscuit, after accepting an Honorary Doctorate of Business from Plymouth University....he has never run a business and Plymouth Poly shakes head...
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Scott_P said:
    If it means so much to Bone, why does he not resign the whip in protest? I don't think the Brexit supporting MPs have been squeezed hard enough as none are willing to walk away from the party and if they do Boris becoming PM diminishes...
    Brave move with an election round the corner, and since there's no party/whip discipline anyway it's an empty move.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Latest: leaders who have spoken favour March or December, but Macron has yet to speak.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Latest: leaders who have spoken favour March or December, but Macron has yet to speak.

That must be a first.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    Judging by the usual Brexit related twitter feeds tonight, everyone, whatever side, is totally losing the plot.

FFS calm down.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    How?
    1. Making it clear she herself is a roadblock to getting the WA passed because Labour won't sign up knowing there will be a new Con leader who might tear everything up after she's departed.

2. Threaten a mass resignation if she doesn't stand down as Con leader. We already know Hancock, Hunt and Javid are in campaign mode... For anyone who wants to succeed Theresa it's in their interests to push her under the proverbial bus once she's secured the extension.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

_Anazina_ said:

Reporting here from planet normal (I’m with the in laws). Seems to me that most nonpolitical people have now largely forgotten about Brexit and assume it’s no longer happening.

Anecdotal, obviously,

At my work management meeting on Tuesday we agreed to drop Brexit risks from one of the 5 biggest risks facing the business down to 20th on the grounds that it was not imminent and might never happen. Nobody dissented from that analysis.
    I have this awful feeling - and I really hope I am wrong - that the EU will just say to us: "no. You cannot make up your mind. You cannot get anything through Parliament. If we give you more time you will just waste it. We cannot risk you electing MEPs to our Parliament who will behave like incontinent children and try and smash the place up. If you cannot agree to the WA, you will have to exit without a deal or Revoke, both of which are entirely in your power.

If you revoke we will welcome you back with open arms. The EU is better with you in it. We think it is better for you too. But we are not going to carry on indulging this nonsense where you expect us to keep pulling you out of the hole you keep on digging yourself into. Take back control, please. And make a decision. You have until the Easter weekend to make up your mind."

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

I think old Fathead takes the biscuit, after accepting an Honorary Doctorate of Business from Plymouth University....he has never run a business and Plymouth Poly shakes head...
    Is it not just plain rude to turn down an hon. doctorate? Everyone knows it has no academic bearing.

Thanks but no thanks, your university is shit, is not a good look surely?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    HYUFD said:
    Slander and "liable"? What school did he go to?
  • Options
    Perhaps May is bipolar. I won't carry on as leader. Yes I will. I couldn't continue as PM if a delay past 30th June. I am continuing.

If May stated she saw the sun rise in the East I'd question it...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    :lol:

2020!!

I think Private Francois will blow his own head off, shouting 'never'.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    How?
    1. Making it clear she herself is a roadblock to getting the WA passed because Labour won't sign up knowing there will be a new Con leader who might tear everything up after she's departed.

2. Threaten a mass resignation if she doesn't stand down as Con leader. We already know Hancock, Hunt and Javid are in campaign mode... For anyone who wants to succeed Theresa it's in their interests to push her under the proverbial bus once she's secured the extension.
    She could just tell them to go fuck themselves
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Cyclefree said:

_Anazina_ said:

Reporting here from planet normal (I’m with the in laws). Seems to me that most nonpolitical people have now largely forgotten about Brexit and assume it’s no longer happening.

Anecdotal, obviously,

At my work management meeting on Tuesday we agreed to drop Brexit risks from one of the 5 biggest risks facing the business down to 20th on the grounds that it was not imminent and might never happen. Nobody dissented from that analysis.
    I have this awful feeling - and I really hope I am wrong - that the EU will just say to us: "no. You cannot make up your mind. You cannot get anything through Parliament. If we give you more time you will just waste it. We cannot risk you electing MEPs to our Parliament who will behave like incontinent children and try and smash the place up. If you cannot agree to the WA, you will have to exit without a deal or Revoke, both of which are entirely in your power.

If you revoke we will welcome you back with open arms. The EU is better with you in it. We think it is better for you too. But we are not going to carry on indulging this nonsense where you expect us to keep pulling you out of the hole you keep on digging yourself into. Take back control, please. And make a decision. You have until the Easter weekend to make up your mind."

I hope I'm wrong.
    I hope you're right. It would concentrate what convention obliges us to call MP's minds.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Judging by the usual Brexit related twitter feeds tonight, everyone, whatever side, is totally losing the plot.

FFS calm down.

I liked this.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeGreenwood/status/1115972193278676992
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    Damn the length of time complex fraud investigations take.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    How?

She could... But she won't. ;)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582
  • Options

Perhaps May is bipolar. I won't carry on as leader. Yes I will. I couldn't continue as PM if a delay past 30th June. I am continuing.

Well, technically it doesn't. It comes into view over the eastern curve of the earth due to planetary rotation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

_Anazina_ said:

Anecdotal, obviously,

I hope I'm wrong.
    I hope you're right. It would concentrate what convention obliges us to call MP's minds.
    And of course every MPs vote to revoke, to not revoke and for No Deal or for abstention would be recorded for all their constituents and party members to see
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746
    I'm listening to "The Prime Minister's: David Lloyd George" on BBC Sounds. Gordon Brown is in it briefly. Damn, I do miss him (Brown, not DLG). Although I acknowledge the well-readoned objections to him by @Richard_Nabavi and others... :(
  • Options

That's not what bipolar is. That's more split personality disorder
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2019

FFS calm down.

Indeed so. Particularly the alleged 'reports' from within the EU27 discussions. I mean, how plausible is it that Sky and the Irish Times have moles surreptitiously WhatsApping them from the dinner table?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    MikeL said:

_Anazina_ said:

Anecdotal, obviously,

It's going to be interesting to see how Brexit features in the news media going forward.

For a long time now, it's been the number 1 story on TV news almost every single day.

But TV news editors must be conscious that people have short attention spans and will be getting bored.

If there's a short extension then of course it'll remain prominent. But if there's a long extension I do wonder whether TV news editors are going to dramatically reduce its prominence - and if they do then to some extent it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy - less publicity = people lose interest = people move onto other things = politicians move onto other things. And it's then less of a stretch to just not bother - forget it and abandon it.
    Yes this is quite a likely scenario I think. Up to now I have been expecting a second referendum but I am beginning to wonder if there will just be an endless series of extensions and eventually A50 will be revoked because everyone will have forgotten what was the point of leaving in the first place.
  • Options
    "There is no point in settling the precedence between a louse and flea" sums up most conflicts on Twitter.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746
    ydoethur said:

Well, technically it doesn't. It comes into view over the eastern curve of the earth due to planetary rotation.
    It depends on your frame of reference... :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Has Macron got the guts to veto and push us out the door?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Are they going to roll in a golden desk in for him?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    Best way to make us want to stay, of course, in order to spite the French.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

_Anazina_ said:

Is it not just plain rude to turn down an hon. doctorate? Everyone knows it has no academic bearing.

Isn’t it just honest to turn down an honorary degree?

I mean, you didn’t do the work ?

There is a case for retaining honorary degrees for people who may have missed out on formal education but nonetheless have carried out exceptional work (e.g., amateur astronomers or amateur natural historians, etc).

But, there is no real reason for picking some of the great and good and rewarding them with an “honorary degree”.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

_Anazina_ said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    How?

She could... But she won't. ;)
    I agree that she probably won’t put it in quite those words!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If there's a short extension then of course it'll remain prominent. But if there's a long extension I do wonder whether TV news editors are going to dramatically reduce its prominence - and if they do then to some extent it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy - less publicity = people lose interest = people move onto other things = politicians move onto other things. And it's then less of a stretch to just not bother - forget it and abandon it.

The bandwagon will roll on to a Con leadership election (won't that be fun) EU and local elections and eventually a general election, IMO.

Brexit will remain the dark cloud hanging over all of it. ;)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    If Macron says it should be no deal or revoke by Friday, the WA will be through every stage by 10am tomorrow.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    If he's the only one, no. No matter how much he might be tempted why take an action against the wishes of all the others, even though it is possible?

If they'd only pass her damn deal she'd put us out of our misery and announce a departure, I am sure.
  • Options

FFS calm down.

Indeed so. Particularly the alleged 'reports' from within the EU27 discussions. I mean, how plausible is it that Sky and the Irish Times have moles surreptitiously WhatsApping them from the dinner table?
    Why not? Our Cabinet ministers livestream their meetings.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:
    If Macron says it should be no deal or revoke by Friday, the WA will be through every stage by 10am tomorrow.
    I hope Macron forces the issue, otherwise it will never end.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FFS calm down.

Good point! I'm showing my age.
  • Options
    Breaking: Macron arguing strongly for June
  • Options
    Another Richard.

Indeed. As I suggest upthread I think that narrative has already begun. Hence why the Brexiteers said, over and over again, “we’re leaving on 29 March, get over it,” and “sorry, we are out on 29 March, you lost”. Looking back on this forum alone shows how clear they were about that.

Once a ‘deadline’ slips...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    HYUFD said:
    Given that the Remainers were jubilant about winning Cooper-Letwin by one vote, it would be hilarious if the extension was refused and we headed to No Deal by just the one vote of Macron....
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

There is a case for retaining honorary degrees for people who may have missed out on formal education but nonetheless have carried out exceptional work (e.g., amateur astronomers or amateur natural historians, etc).

But, there is no real reason for picking some of the great and good and rewarding them with an “honorary degree”.
    The point is all degrees are technically honorary and awarded in recognition of something the university values. That might be a programme of study, or it might be other achievements outside. The 'PhD by publication,' where a body of research is accepted rather than a thesis, is another example.

The difference with an honorary degree, as we call them, is that they don't count towards career advancement elsewhere and cannot be used except to decide status on formal occasions at the awarding university.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

FFS calm down.

Good point! I'm showing my age.
    Not if their phones are taken by the Cabinet Sec. at the door.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That would put matters beyond May.
  • Options
    You can understand Macron position as we all know another year delay and we will all be here in 11 months and 20 days time arguing the same stuff.
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

PR for the the awards day.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ho-ho-ho
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Just keep your coat on.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Given that the Remainers were jubilant about winning Cooper-Letwin by one vote, it would be hilarious if the extension was refused and we headed to No Deal by just the one vote of Macron....
    Hilarious?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

MikeL said:

_Anazina_ said:

Anecdotal, obviously,

It's going to be interesting to see how Brexit features in the news media going forward.

For a long time now, it's been the number 1 story on TV news almost every single day.

But TV news editors must be conscious that people have short attention spans and will be getting bored.

Yes this is quite a likely scenario I think. Up to now I have been expecting a second referendum but I am beginning to wonder if there will just be an endless series of extensions and eventually A50 will be revoked because everyone will have forgotten what was the point of leaving in the first place.
    The campaigners' reports from the doorsteps do rather suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Macron says June. Everyone else says December or March.

So it's going to be September isn't it? :D
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Ho-ho-ho
    Miaow, sir, I felt your Claus there.
    IanB2 said:

Just keep your coat on.

I never get a chance to take it off!
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

HYUFD said:
    Westminster and Christ Church certainly beats Eton and Trinity (Trinity Oxford at least; Trinity Cambridge would tie).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    The fact that discussions are still going suggests that they are going better than I would have expected.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Old Tory proverb:

Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

HYUFD said:
    Westminster and Christ Church certainly beats Eton and Trinity (Trinity Oxford at least; Trinity Cambridge would tie).
    UCS and Exeter beats both.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    May is like a limpet the more you tug at it the firmer it grips
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

An August assessment.
  • Options
  • Options
    glw said:

The fact that discussions are still going suggests that they are going better than I would have expected.
    Not really. Neither can afford to look like the one walking away.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

HYUFD said:
    What you want is a grubby comp in a nondescript midlands town. Unbeatable.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Peter Bone says April 15th !!!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

The famous “chemist” Elena Ceausescu amassed over a hundred honorary degrees and honorary professorships.

She was honoured by the UK’s Royal Institute for Chemistry and the University of London for her “distinguished scientific achievements in macromolecular chemistry”.

I think I rest my case. It is better to get rid of these “honours” which demean the giver, but pander to the vanity of the recipient.

There is no need for honorary degrees or honorary professorships or honorary anything.
  • Options
    She could well have resigned at Con leader by the weekend.
  • Options
    Which December !!!!!!!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

GIN1138 said:

Peter Bone says April 15th !!!
    I suspect Mark Francois is still holding out for March 29th! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.