Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The overnight developments in Brussels barely move the Brexit

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Has she resigned yet?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Amazing video of JA getting lifted by plod - looks like Billy Bob Thornton in Bad santa or King Theoden pre Gandalf ousting Wormtongue.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    TGOHF said:

Amazing video of JA getting lifted by plod - looks like Billy Bob Thornton in Bad santa or King Theoden pre Gandalf ousting Wormtongue.

Link?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Miss Cyclefree, to whom would said army be responsible? Who would be commander in chief? What if the UK faced a threat to the Falklands and the French to one of their outlying territories: whose defence would be prioritised? Would British soldiers be loyal to HM and the UK or the EU?

It's a horrendous idea.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited April 2019

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Wait until she finds out how much was spent on WW3 planning during the cold war..

Stupid woman.

We are not planning a war.
    Well, not all of us.

'Nigel Farage has said he would, “don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines” if Theresa May fails to deliver Brexit in the fashion he wants.'
    I hope parliament can finally put aside its differences and pass the Batale Royale Law.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

What are daily life protocols, not leaving the bog seat up and taking your turn to do the dishes?
    He insisted on watching Eastenders on the Ambassadors telly.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, to whom would said army be responsible? Who would be commander in chief? What if the UK faced a threat to the Falklands and the French to one of their outlying territories: whose defence would be prioritised? Would British soldiers be loyal to HM and the UK or the EU?

It's a horrendous idea.

So you’re advocating the UK’s withdrawal from NATO?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

It would appear to me that this parliament, under either Mrs May or any feasible replacement PM, is resolved to block Deal, No Deal, and REF2. That leaves nothing. A different parliament (via a GE) is therefore required. But (Tory) MPs are blocking that too. So where does this leave us? Utterly stuck. Can't even see an exit, let alone stumble towards it. It's an unpleasant, claustrophobic situation. It doesn't feel at all like taking back control.

Except the polls show a different Parliament via a GE would produce just another hung parliament, so we are stuck in EU purgatory limbo
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Looking at the video, he is definitely got a case to claim ill health against whatever they try and throw at him. He looks about 150.

https://twitter.com/Ruptly/status/1116277306161618944
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

What are daily life protocols, not leaving the bog seat up and taking your turn to do the dishes?
    He insisted on watching Eastenders on the Ambassadors telly.
    Hid the Ferrero rocher just before a big party
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

There would be a lot of ballot spoiling going on, it would be a tough decision. Of course I support the WA and of course I want to leave, but would I have any expectation that another leave victory would be adhered to? Definitely not. This is a strong reason why a people's vote would be nonsense, but as we know parliament likes nonsense.

As I said on the previous thread, once you have a clear and reducible-to-writing form of Leave you can exclude the possibility of a Leave result being stolen by the politicians. You put the wording in a schedule to the Act and you provide that if Leave wins then on the *very next day* the PM will sign up to the deal in the schedule. Only a furthe Act can reverse that , and there isn't time for another Act to pass.
    No one belives May and Boris no one believes Lammy or Cooper or Grieve. Both sides have prominent figures who have lied and lied about their intentions. It's understandable that a lot of the public would not trust either, even if a result was supposedly legally binding. If even Stephen Kinnock can see that a 2nd ref would add to the chaos and be widely derided then anyone can see it. It's a deal, no deal or revoke as the only options IMO.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    I wonder how Gerard Batten will do in the EU Election leaders debates
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Now we get to see whether his fears of extradition to the US were real.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, NATO doesn't integrate endlessly, doesn't make us pay billions a year for the privilege of membership, doesn't impose legislation on us, doesn't strip vetoes for QMV, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Wait until she finds out how much was spent on WW3 planning during the cold war..

Stupid woman.

We are not planning a war.
    Well, not all of us.

'Nigel Farage has said he would, “don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines” if Theresa May fails to deliver Brexit in the fashion he wants.'
    Presumably having donned khaki, he would bugger off to the NAAFI and leave the others the dirty work.

Its the rich that gets the pleasure and the poor wot gets the blame,

Its the same the world over, aint it a bleeding shame?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    kinabalu said:

It would appear to me that this parliament, under either Mrs May or any feasible replacement PM, is resolved to block Deal, No Deal, and REF2. That leaves nothing. A different parliament (via a GE) is therefore required. But (Tory) MPs are blocking that too. So where does this leave us? Utterly stuck. Can't even see an exit, let alone stumble towards it. It's an unpleasant, claustrophobic situation. It doesn't feel at all like taking back control.

Tbf a PV hasn't really been tested as a proposition with a free vote. Last time was just an amendment with whips against and to abstain. Plus, now we have the time and no obvious alternative.
  • Options
    isam said:

Like the racist twat he is I reckon
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The people took back control. The politicians didn’t want it!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    An interesting take from Mujtaba Rahman, who is well-informed on EU matters:

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1116273359464161280
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Brom said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

There would be a lot of ballot spoiling going on, it would be a tough decision. Of course I support the WA and of course I want to leave, but would I have any expectation that another leave victory would be adhered to? Definitely not. This is a strong reason why a people's vote would be nonsense, but as we know parliament likes nonsense.

As I said on the previous thread, once you have a clear and reducible-to-writing form of Leave you can exclude the possibility of a Leave result being stolen by the politicians. You put the wording in a schedule to the Act and you provide that if Leave wins then on the *very next day* the PM will sign up to the deal in the schedule. Only a furthe Act can reverse that , and there isn't time for another Act to pass.
    No one belives May and Boris no one believes Lammy or Cooper or Grieve. Both sides have prominent figures who have lied and lied about their intentions. It's understandable that a lot of the public would not trust either, even if a result was supposedly legally binding. If even Stephen Kinnock can see that a 2nd ref would add to the chaos and be widely derided then anyone can see it. It's a deal, no deal or revoke as the only options IMO.
    None of that matters in the set up I propose. You only have to trust that May will put her own deal in place when legally obliged to do so.
  • Options

One thing that gets my goat..."twitter threads"....just write it in a f##king notepad doc and screenshot it!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081

Looking at the video, he is definitely got a case to claim ill health against whatever they try and throw at him. He looks about 150.

Some of those pensioners can get quite stroppy when the bus comes to take them to the day care centre.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, NATO doesn't integrate endlessly, doesn't make us pay billions a year for the privilege of membership, doesn't impose legislation on us, doesn't strip vetoes for QMV, etc etc etc.

Have a look at Article V.

We can be plunged into a war with our forces fighting without our consent.

That’s more shocking than QMV.

The NATO 2% target makes us pay billions a year for membership.
  • Options

Some of those pensioners can get quite stroppy when the bus comes to take them to the day care centre.
    Well I think the happy bus is going to be taking him on a very long ride.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    lolandol said:

For the record, I voted Remain last time and would vote Leave if there was another Referendum. I don't believe in being asked the same question until we get the right answer. We were told in no uncertain terms it was a one-off vote. I am sure that I will be outnumbered by those moving the other way or previous Leavers staying at home.

Fair enough.

Although this would be most unlike the previous 'vote until you get it right' referendums.
    The EU have been relatively scrupulous in staying out of trying to persuade us one way or the other (and indeed European opinion is now far more divided on whether or not they wish us to leave than was the case a year ago).

And it wouldn't be the same question.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    OMG, are the met sure they've got the right person? He's changed beyond recognition!
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is Assange getting lifted today rather convenient timing....
  • Options
    isam said:

Will be fun to see Batten and Farage going at it.
  • Options
    lolandol said:

For the record, I voted Remain last time and would vote Leave if there was another Referendum. I don't believe in being asked the same question until we get the right answer. We were told in no uncertain terms it was a one-off vote. I am sure that I will be outnumbered by those moving the other way or previous Leavers staying at home.

Well as stated I am the same in as much as I would support the WA deal, yet I voted remain. If no deal vs Remain I would continue to vote for financial self interest and vote remain.
  • Options
    Those "daily life protocols" are starting to make sense, looking at that photo. He doesn't look a well man.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Assange is only 47?!?!? Yikes.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Now that is an unwanted image...
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

None of that matters in the set up I propose. You only have to trust that May will put her own deal in place when legally obliged to do so.
    I think it does matter, if the electorate don't trust the politicians then it allows the politicians to interpret a referendum result however they want and will allow whichever side loses to claim it wasn't fair and we need to have another go.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

He will be fine. He has dirt on people trump wants dirt on.

He's only ever had what the Russians were feeding him.
  • Options

Fits with the Divvie rule that nothing Brexit related is dead till it's been gut shot with a silver bullet, head torn off, stake through heart and lowered into a vat of molten steel.

And even then..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

I think its a fair point - Merkel may not be there and the "Enough Already" crowd can only increase in size.

Not much comment on Varadkar's remarks yesterday about the UK in a/the CU "having a say in EU trade deals" which will please Labour (its their pet Unicorn) but infuriate the Commission.....is he trying to be "helpful" (if so, to whom?) or is he simply wrong?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

You could raise an eyebrow at the timing given that a day ago the Attorney General of the US said the Obama administration used the FBI to spy on the Trump campaign and that Wikileaks have dumped a lot of stuff damaging to the Democrats already from Wieners laptop and Trump has started calling Russiagate treasonous. Or it could all be coincidental.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

It's a horrendous idea.

Something similar to Nato is not horrendous. You raise very good good questions. But that is a reason for thinking about what a sensible answer to them might be. Not refusing to think about them at all and assuming that the current post-war settlement will last. Because a look across the Atlantic or to Kiev or to China tells you that it won’t.
  • Options
    As ever, an acute commentator on European affairs...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1116172224459882496
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

lolandol said:

Fair enough.

Although this would be most unlike the previous 'vote until you get it right' referendums.
    The EU have been relatively scrupulous in staying out of trying to persuade us one way or the other (and indeed European opinion is now far more divided on whether or not they wish us to leave than was the case a year ago).

I'd say Barnier, Verhofstadt etc have quietly but not explicitly pushed for Britain to try again and get the correct answer. Rightly or wrongly they certainly haven't treated May with much respect and have not been supportive of her position as someone just trying to 'respect the result of a vote'.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Has there been a general outbreak of double and treble negatives in recent weeks, or has the bit of my brain which used to parse them atrophied?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It's a horrendous idea.

Something similar to Nato is not horrendous. You raise very good good questions. But that is a reason for thinking about what a sensible answer to them might be. Not refusing to think about them at all and assuming that the current post-war settlement will last. Because a look across the Atlantic or to Kiev or to China tells you that it won’t.
    Agreed.
    And as with much about the EU, a more engaged UK would likely improve whatever structure emerges.
  • Options

It's a horrendous idea.

No, not really. We barely have the military capacity to act alone anyway, let alone the political. And the same organisational and command issues are dealt with fine in NATO.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

One thing that gets my goat..."twitter threads"....just write it in a f##king notepad doc and screenshot it!
    NO!

Posting photos of text is an antipattern I thought we'd eliminated in about 1996. Twitter threads work great, people can RT the bits of them that are the most interesting to their followers then only the people who are interested in them click and get the rest.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

Pas hereux:

Cette valse de plus en plus incompréhensible des dates montre que le Royaume-Uni a réussi l’exploit d’exporter ses batailles byzantines internes à Bruxelles. Car ce sommet a fait voler en éclat le beau front uni des Européens qui tenait vaille que vaille depuis trois ans, à l’image d’un couple franco-allemand décidément de plus en plus fictionnel.

https://www.liberation.fr/planete/2019/04/11/brexit-les-europeens-accordent-un-nouveau-report-jusqu-au-31-octobre_1720646?xtor=rss-450&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=dlvr.it

"...This waltz towards more and more incomprehensible dates shows that the United Kingdom has managed to export its internal Byzantine battles to Brussels. This summit has shattered the beautiful united front of those Europeans who had held true to its values for three years, like the increasingly fictional Franco-German alliance..."

(a somewhat free translation)
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Has there been a general outbreak of double and treble negatives in recent weeks, or has the bit of my brain which used to parse them atrophied?
    I couldn't deny that seems not entirely unreasonable.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Not much comment on Varadkar's remarks yesterday about the UK in a/the CU "having a say in EU trade deals" which will please Labour (its their pet Unicorn) but infuriate the Commission.....is he trying to be "helpful" (if so, to whom?) or is he simply wrong?

Both I think. He's trying (probably rather counter-productively) to make it more likely that Labour and the government reach an agreement, and also he's simply wrong.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Farage isn't looking so bad for his age in comparison...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I know he's greyed early, but he looks more like 67 in that arrest video.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Of course it is- a dead cat.

He looks like George Galloway after a night out with Farage.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Dan voted in favour at MV2.5
  • Options
    Brom said:

Nigelb said:

lolandol said:

Fair enough.

I'd say Barnier, Verhofstadt etc have quietly but not explicitly pushed for Britain to try again and get the correct answer. Rightly or wrongly they certainly haven't treated May with much respect and have not been supportive of her position as someone just trying to 'respect the result of a vote'.
    Barnier was reportedly quite in accord with Macron in arguing for limiting the extension to June, so I'm not convinced by that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Reaching TSE levels of #filth there... :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I know he's greyed early, but he looks more like 67 in that arrest video.
    Ecuador in breach of the Geneva Convention. Mistreating middle aged leakers and prematurely aging them
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited April 2019

Well, by October we will have had three chances to make a decision and pretty much a year since the WA was agreed so I can see why the EU’s patience might well run out by then, particularly if MPs waste the time they have been given by just pushing off on holiday for most of it.

So if a fresh extension is needed it needs to be (a) something different eg a referendum; and/or (b) a different leader. And what type of MEPs we elect in May may also affect views. If UKIP/ Brexit parties do worse than expected that might shift sentiment.

But as Jonathan Hill, the last British commissioner said on Radio 4 this morning, in a very good interview, we don’t need time. We know what the choices are. We simply need to make a decision. If not the EU will make it for us and effectively expel us.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, oh, aye, we wouldn't have a Defence budget if we weren't compelled to have it by the evil NATO...
  • Options
    Brom said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Brom said:

I think it does matter, if the electorate don't trust the politicians then it allows the politicians to interpret a referendum result however they want and will allow whichever side loses to claim it wasn't fair and we need to have another go.
    After Brexit nobody's going to be calling any referendums for a while, and definitely not on Cameron's innovative model of asking the voters if they want to do something the government thinks is stupid, in the hope of proving to his troublesome backbenchers that the voters think it's stupid too.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

https://youtu.be/xY_Kb5Qkj-4
  • Options
    Any sign of removal vans in Downing ST or are they all the Ecuadorian Embassy? :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

Reaching TSE levels of #filth there... :D
    I'm not sure even he has pictured anything quite so grotesque ?
  • Options

Dan voted in favour at MV2.5
    I take it Baker and Francois have removed the party whip from him then.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Any sign of removal vans in Downing ST or are they all the Ecuadorian Embassy? :D

Assange is our new PM
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited April 2019
    Labour under no pressure now to agree anything with the government . They need to string this out and see the Tories hammered in the Council and EU elections .

Labour should campaign on the latter with a confirmatory vote . Pro EU voters need to get out and vote in large numbers to stop the hate mongers from framing the narrative .

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

And the kicker - it binds us into the crazy decisions of a mentally unstable individual with smallish hands over whom we have no democratic control.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2019
    Oh, I thought the Swedish charges had been dropped?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Cyclefree said:

Miss Cyclefree, a counterpoint, assuming your underlying suggestion is correct (which it may not be), is that we can vote for a new set of MPs. We can't vote for a new EU.

Not to mention the damage that has already been caused and will be even worse if we end up staying in having voted to leave.

I'd add that if we stay, that'll shatter the Conservatives and improve Corbyn's chances of winning the subsequent election massively. And whilst there are some daft sods in the Conservatives, the worst of them are the backbenchers, whereas Labour's lunatics are squatting on the front bench.

There aren’t many good options now. I don’t care if the Tories are shattered. Labour are lunatics, I agree, but if they are in power and we are still in the EU, their ability to carry out their lunacy will be limited to some extent.

I have to say that I am beginning to rethink my whole approach to the EU. I wonder whether it might not be better to get more involved. Bear with me: some say that an EU army would be a terrible thing. But would it be such a bad thing for the EU to take European defence more seriously? After all the US is retreating from Europe and Putin is being aggressive so maybe the old verities are no longer true and we need some fresh thinking. Ditto re the euro and re taxation of large global companies. And, maybe, rather than retreating into national nativist and nastily illiberal parties we should look to see how we can develop a much more liberal Europe-wide demos.

I don’t know and my thinking on this has barely started and if I have time (I have a new project starting soon) I may do some thread headers on this. But as I’ve banged on about this before, we - and the EU - need a proper strategy about how we interact with each other. The tragedy of Brexit is that none of that fresh thinking about what such a British/ European strategy should be has been done. It has been a colossal wasted opportunity.
    When even The Economist describes the Euro as "a disaster" it's hard to see why we would wish to be part of it.
  • Options
    Whats the book assange has in his hands when he is being led out?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Cyclefree said:

Well, by October we will have had three chances to make a decision and pretty much a year since the WA was agreed so I can see why the EU’s patience might well run out by then, particularly if MPs waste the time they have been given by just pushing off on holiday for most of it.

So if a fresh extension is needed it needs to be (a) something different eg a referendum; and/or (b) a different leader. And what type of MEPs we elect in May may also affect views. If UKIP/ Brexit parties do worse than expected that might shift sentiment.

But as Jonathan Hill, the last British commissioner said on Radio 4 this morning, in a very good interview, we don’t need time. We know what the choices are. We simply need to make a decision. If not the EU will make it for us and effectively expel us.
    The only reason it's October is to ensure we take part in the EU elections and get round to making a decision

October doesn't really give us enough time to hold a referendum as that requires 22 weeks (see my post in the previous thread) so it would require a decision fairly rapidly.
  • Options

Both I think. He's trying (probably rather counter-productively) to make it more likely that Labour and the government reach an agreement, and also he's simply wrong.
    Any agreement with Labour that says 'ask the EU for Customs Union with say on trade deals' is bound to fail - surely Varadkar should know that?
  • Options
    Who knew Asexit would happen before Brexit? :D
  • Options

Whats the book assange has in his hands when he is being led out?

Magna Postea
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Danny565 said:

Some at least have?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

The only reason it's October is to ensure we take part in the EU elections and get round to making a decision

October doesn't really give us enough time to hold a referendum as that requires 22 weeks (see my post in the previous thread) so it would require a decision fairly rapidly.
    To me it feels like the opposite, October takes the pressure off making a decision now, and is probably not quite long enough for referendum and/or new tory leader/general election (both are feasible but tight and our politicians unlikely to start the processes quickly enough for them to happen.)

Why would the EU choose October in particular? Because they don't trust us to make a good decision so are happy enough to kick the can down the road into 2020 and probably beyond if needed.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    nico67 said:

Labour under no pressure now to agree anything with the government . They need to string this out and see the Tories hammered in the Council and EU elections .

Labour should campaign on the latter with a confirmatory vote . Pro EU voters need to get out and vote in large numbers to stop the hate mongers from framing the narrative .

The latest Yougov today for the European elections has both the Tories and Labour collapsing to just 18% each with the Brexit Party just behind on 17% and CUK up to 10%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/g5fjrnocck/Results_190329_EUElecetion_w.pdf
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The prosecutors may have, but the author of the tweet represents one of the complainants and has just tweeted:

https://twitter.com/Expressen/status/1116277830726373376

RIGHT NOW: Elisabeth Massi Fritz on defunct Våldtäktsutredningen against Julian Assange: "We will do everything we can to ensure that the prosecutors resume the Swedish preliminary investigation"
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    while on the subject, shouldn't the bbc be saying "so-called Wikileaks" (like they say "so-called Islamic State"). It hasn't been a "wiki" since 2010 and the last major whistleblower actually leaking stuff to so-called Wikileaks that I am aware of was Chelsea Manning.

Should probably change their name to "Hackers4Putin"
  • Options

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:

https://youtu.be/xY_Kb5Qkj-4
    The Turkish censors cut most of that, to Reed and Bates collapsing panting onto the floor.

Turkish audiences called it "the great buggery scene".
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Any agreement with Labour that says 'ask the EU for Customs Union with say on trade deals' is bound to fail - surely Varadkar should know that?
    Surely depends on what "say" means. It would be very easy for them to agree to consultative say in trade deals, whereas a veto is likely to be problematic. Not sure if there is a limited compromise between those options that diplomats can work out, such as agreement for veto on particular, limited areas of trade.
  • Options

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Why would the EU choose October in particular?
    Because the new Commission takes office on Nov 1.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    edited April 2019
    I've said it before and I'll say it again; the most important problem with the ref was the result. 52%/48% was not a resounding victory, nor did it give politicians enough room to all go towards massive constitutional change that would harm voters.

Most major changes to constitutions in other countries require 2/3rd majorities for these main reasons:

1) it proves "the people" actually want it to happen. 52/48 is a slim margin that could easily be swayed within a week, let alone years of hard work. If minds changed, politicians would be blamed for enacting something now unpopular. Which leads to

2) a 2/3 majority gives political will to politicians. Very few politicians are actually radicals who want to change everything root and stem. Leaving the EU is a radical change. With no certainty the public will still be in favour of it a few years down the line, why should politicians hitch their reputations to the wagon? Had it been 60/40, even, I feel Labour would have given more ground earlier and the PV people would have probably accepted the result easier. But 52/48 is no grounds for revolution. 52/48 is the worst of all worlds, a mandate for change, but no definition on what change should look like. Which leads to

3) coming up with a solution that fulfils what the majority of voters wanted is easier when 66% of people want "a thing". You can disagree with a sizable chunk of the 66% and still have a majority of people in favour of the proposal. With 52/48 you cannot afford to lose any of the 52 who wanted "the thing". And therein lies the problem. When that 52% all think "the thing" is different, then how can you have majority support for it? And the closer you get to what the 48% wanted, the more of the original 52% hate the new plan, so you can't try compromise between the two sides, and if you do nobody likes the only option you're left with, and the country has no plan. Which leads us to where we are now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

The latest Yougov today for the European elections has both the Tories and Labour collapsing to just 18% each with the Brexit Party just behind on 17% and CUK up to 10%
    Con is going to be pounded so hard in the EU elections. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Con is going to be pounded so hard in the EU elections. :D
    So will Labour on those numbers, the Tories, Labour and Brexit Party and 'Stay in the EU' Party almost neck and neck for the Euros in that poll
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

That was a hypothetical poll with a purely second vote party aswell . If Labour have a second vote on any deal they’ll top the EU elections .

The Leave vote is split , indeed it’s likely the UK will return less anti EU parties than last time but the media keep pushing the opposite .

Labour should not do any deal with the Tories unless it includes a second vote . They have nothing to gain and will be hammered if they facilitate a Tory Brexit .
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, oh, aye, we wouldn't have a Defence budget if we weren't compelled to have it by the evil NATO...

Did I say that?

NATO determines our minimum defence spend.

We’ve been below it but have been forced to increase it.

I want to take back control because if you object to EU membership fees then logically you must object to NATO fees.

We’ve never even had a referendum on NATO membership.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    So after seven years, the Ecuadorians finally kick Assange out of their embassy.

One of those rare cases of somewhere having a party after the cleaners have been?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

It's a horrendous idea.

How the fuck do you think NATO works? It's responsible to the NATO council and the CinC is ALWAYS an American 4*. The EUMS will be responsible to the EUCO and the CinC will be appointed from within the forces of the member nations.

EUCO and the CinC will decide whose post-colonial vanity we are going to sate in your ludicrous hypothesis.

European defence integration is happening and its only going to get both quicker and deeper. The UK is going to be involved whether its in the EU or not as strategic and financial imperatives compel it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    So, given the constraints and imagining you were May or other players in this game, how would one get to a point by October where a deal is possible?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

That was a hypothetical poll with a purely second vote party aswell as CUK . If Labour have a second vote on any deal they’ll top the EU elections .

The Leave vote is split , indeed it’s likely the UK will return less anti EU parties than last time but the media keep pushing the opposite .

Labour should not do any deal with the Tories unless it includes a second vote . They have nothing to gain and will be hammered if they facilitate a Tory Brexit .
    Except Corbyn is still not committing to a second vote as he knows he needs Leave seats to win too.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

NO!

Posting photos of text is an antipattern I thought we'd eliminated in about 1996. Twitter threads work great, people can RT the bits of them that are the most interesting to their followers then only the people who are interested in them click and get the rest.
    I don't mind Twitter threads either, but I don't like it when people see fit to retweet a full thread of 5+ tweets. If I want to read the thread I'll click on it, someone spamming it into my feed without a choice makes me less likely to read it.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Have a look at Article VI which means NATO isn't obliged to lift a finger for the Falklands.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

I presume all those right on celebs who used to back assange will be shortly protesting outside the local police station...no?

His luvvie friends lost their sense of humour when their £200k of bail cheques got cashed!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's a horrendous idea.

How the fuck do you think NATO works? It's responsible to the NATO council and the CinC is ALWAYS an American 4*. The EUMS will be responsible to the EUCO and the CinC will be appointed from within the forces of the member nations.

EUCO and the CinC will decide whose post-colonial vanity we are going to sate in your ludicrous hypothesis.

European defence integration is happening and its only going to get both quicker and deeper. The UK is going to be involved whether its in the EU or not as strategic and financial imperatives compel it.
    Hush you.

Leavers are tired of experts.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Watch Peston and see how quick McDonnell is to pick up on any hint from a Tory that any deal with Labour might be undone. They are already at collecting excuses for the breakdown stage.
This discussion has been closed.