Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mayor Pete takes the lead in New Hampshire amongst those nomin

1235»

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614

ydoethur said:

After a certain point, yes. That is exactly what I'm saying. Like any public body, the police has to spend money on the basis of the greatest benefit to the greatest number.

And when is that point? Who decides? What is reasonable to investigate somebody against whom very serious allegations have been made?

Now, on the substantive point it is true that this case is unusual in the length of time it has dragged on and how high profile it has been. It has also been very unusual insofar as he has been trapped in a place clearly identified and yet inaccessible to the rozzers. But you might be surprised at how much time and money is spent pursuing fugitives. For example, thousands was spent trying to extradite Ronnie Biggs, including a rather bizarre and probably unauthorised attempt at kidnap, and he was met by 100 officers on his return to the country, which seems excessive for a man with mobility problems.

I would add when we discussed this a couple of days ago, you said something rather different. You said the Assange case was clearly politically motivated because nobody bothered to pursue sex crimes in Rotherham. Now, as Cyclefree and I pointed out to you, that wasn't correct. But you still said it.

It's difficult not to come to the conclusion you are so starry eyed in your support of Assange that you are willing to say whatever is needed to exonerate him, and criticise anyone trying to put him through this funny thing called the justice system. But newsflash - the expense, the lies, the publicity, the extradition request from Virginia - they all come down, when you look at it with a cold eye, are due to Assange's extreme unwillingness to answer questions about complaints that he committed sexual misconduct. Nothing else. The fact he has done himself far more damage and spent far longer in incarceration than he would have done even if charged tried and convicted is something that would be amusing in other circumstances.
    What I said about Rotherham yesterday and today are not even remotely inconsistent. You try to bring people to justice. When your resources are exhausted, you stop. See also, NHS treatment.

I agree about Ronnie Biggs.

I am sure you're not seriously suggesting that Assange is likely to be extradited to the US because he skipped bail in the UK?

Anyway, night all.
    Err, yes.

The first time the USA has been involved in his case is today.

He jumped bail on a warrant issued on a charge of a serious sexual assault in Sweden. If he'd voluntarily answered that charge in 2012 he might be a free man today.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:
    You're welcome. I thought it was better here than on Wikipedia,tbh. Incidentally, there is a betting angle: see https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/international/eu-politics/2019-eu-parliamentary-elections/227389253/

In cases where there is low-volume betting and a highly-informed core of punters, there is the possibility to make money. Problem is I have a bucket of IRL work to do (I've been given a dongle thing so I can work from home, which means - yes! - absolutely no time off!) so I can't do an article for @TheScreamingEagles , unfortunately. Hence the comments section.

Good effort Sir! Tips left here are always appreciated.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    GIN1138 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Why do the media keep obsessing over an election .

The Tories wouldn’t dare go for one until Brexit is done and their poll ratings improve .

Their poll ratings aren't going to improve (not with this leader and possibly not with any leader)

They've betrayed their voters and they're finished.
    Yet more overhysteria from you, the 37% the Tories are on even on this poll is the same rating Cameron got in 2015 when he won an overall majority and that was in a poll that included UKIP.

Hardly 'finished' on any definition
    Gin is taking brexit very badly
    Gin is a fervent supporter of Corbyn
    I like to back a winner... Corbyn is looking like a winner to me. Tories are looking like losers.

And I don't back losers if I can help it... :D
    "You'll receive the Order of Lenin for this!" :lol:
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

After a certain point, yes. That is exactly what I'm saying. Like any public body, the police has to spend money on the basis of the greatest benefit to the greatest number.

And when is that point? Who decides? What is reasonable to investigate somebody against whom very serious allegations have been made?

Now, on the substantive point it is true that this case is unusual in the length of time it has dragged on and how high profile it has been. It has also been very unusual insofar as he has been trapped in a place clearly identified and yet inaccessible to the rozzers. But you might be surprised at how much time and money is spent pursuing fugitives. For example, thousands was spent trying to extradite Ronnie Biggs, including a rather bizarre and probably unauthorised attempt at kidnap, and he was met by 100 officers on his return to the country, which seems excessive for a man with mobility problems.

I would add when we discussed this a couple of days ago, you said something rather different. You said the Assange case was clearly politically motivated because nobody bothered to pursue sex crimes in Rotherham. Now, as Cyclefree and I pointed out to you, that wasn't correct. But you still said it.

It's difficult not to come to the conclusion you are so starry eyed in your support of Assange that you are willing to say whatever is needed to exonerate him, and criticise anyone trying to put him through this funny thing called the justice system. But newsflash - the expense, the lies, the publicity, the extradition request from Virginia - they all come down, when you look at it with a cold eye, are due to Assange's extreme unwillingness to answer questions about complaints that he committed sexual misconduct. Nothing else. The fact he has done himself far more damage and spent far longer in incarceration than he would have done even if charged tried and convicted is something that would be amusing in other circumstances.
    What I said about Rotherham yesterday and today are not even remotely inconsistent. You try to bring
    Anyway, night all.
    Err, yes.

The first time the USA has been involved in his case is today.

He jumped bail on a warrant issued on a charge of a serious sexual assault in Sweden. If he'd voluntarily answered that charge in 2012 he might be a free man today.
    Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47891737
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,236
    Sandpit said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:
    You're welcome. I thought it was better here than on Wikipedia,tbh. Incidentally, there is a betting angle: see https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/betting/politics/international/eu-politics/2019-eu-parliamentary-elections/227389253/

In cases where there is low-volume betting and a highly-informed core of punters, there is the possibility to make money. Problem is I have a bucket of IRL work to do (I've been given a dongle thing so I can work from home, which means - yes! - absolutely no time off!) so I can't do an article for @TheScreamingEagles , unfortunately. Hence the comments section.

Good effort Sir! Tips left here are always appreciated.
    Thank you: I appreciate it
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    This thread is now on

Recess

This discussion has been closed.