Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The PB/Polling Matters podcast analyses May’s EU elections – t

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Farage is bloody good at getting himself and his party in the news

But that's the point.

He is never off the BBC. If they gave him as much coverage as the BNP he would have been just as successful as the BNP
    When has the BNP ever won a nationwide election as UKIP did in 2014?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    It's a brave decision to name the party after the one thing everyone is sick of.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2019
    Totally O/T - Got to hand it to Mental Musk SpaceX team, landing of all three boosters.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Totally O/T - Got to hand it to Mental Musk SpaceX team, landing of all three boosters.

Fairings will be re-used too.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

It's a brave decision to name the party after the one thing everyone is sick of.

Not really given that it's targeted at people who want it to be completed.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Ishmael_Z said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:
    Daft bint couldn't deviate from her script.

Well, yes, but by accident rather than design she does nail him. His answer to the final question (Arron Banks, £1m) is not no.
    She is a bit clever there asking if Arron Banks had expressed an interest in the party (yes) and then expands that to saying he wants to fund the party (no). It sounded to me like he did say no on the last poin, but he does describe it as an ‘attempt’ to fund through small donations.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

But that's the point.

He is never off the BBC. If they gave him as much coverage as the BNP he would have been just as successful as the BNP
    Basically you are complaining that Farage is good at his job. Maybe the washed-up Lib Dems could try copying him? How rubbish are the Lib Dems when Brexit has been the issue of the day for going on 4 years now that the Lib Dems can barely make themselves heard?

Farage runs rings around other parties when it comes to campaigning.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting take.

His raison d'etre was to get the UK to leave the EU. And true we haven't yet left. But the campaign he lived and breathed for, and was the figurehead for and embodied was successful.

"less likely than ever" - perhaps, perhaps not we shall see; it was certainly a lot more likely just after EURef2016. Plus I am not a fan of "we can't leave". Oh of course we shouldn't, and not on Francois terms, but the UK can leave the EU and might still do so.

He also thought the UK leaving would lead the whole EU project collapsing, and it looks stronger than ever.

I wish him much more similar "success"
    I think the EU collapsing was the cherry on the cake for him. He didn't campaign for it, while he did campaign for us to leave the EU, which we duly voted to do and as I said, who knows we may still actually leave.
  • Options
    Offtopic but for those that trade on betfair

https://twitter.com/TheEllenShow/status/1116531086186536960
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

In polite company a few months ago I silenced the dining table and drew all kinds of fearsome looks by observing that Nigel Farage was arguably the most successful politician in decades.

Well I say you spoke an undeniable truth.

Oh and your 'no smoking rule' analogy the other day, yes, very good.

Question would be, is Jez a smoker or does he smell a bit because he's been on the top deck of the bus.

That is what I used to tell my parents when I was a teenager. And it was sometimes true.
    It is sufficient that enough people think he is a smoker for it not to matter whether he is one. And to torture the analogy slightly further, he has not made any effort to get those people he was with, who were actually smoking, to quit.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,106
    I see the PB Tories (Brexiteer Division) are dipping their toes in the Brexit Party bath water, just to see how it feels. Weirdly sharing that water with Farage seems to be a plus..
  • Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

Farage is a top class political operator.

Only because the BBC give him blanket coverage
    https://twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP/status/1116582816936906753
    Yeah, how awful they interview the guy that won the last European Parliament elections...

Seriously all these remainers terrified of people being allowed to hear an opposing viewpoint says everything about the weakness of their own views.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,223
    Ishmael_Z said:

Direct democracy is demagogueocracy. That is why it is such a stupid idea.

No I'm not a fan either.

I do think it can be suitable for questions that are both very simple to understand and at the same time not important.

For example, whose face should be on the new £20 note, Alan Turing or Alan Shearer? (assuming it has to be an Alan).

But then this raises the very real concern that such matters do not merit the time and expense of a Referendum, the infrastructure required, the national campaigns, the TV debates etc etc.

My conclusion, therefore, is that it is best to not have them at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ah I remember it well!

Before the Election, 'An Independence From Europe' were going to take so many votes from UKIP by way of voters accidentally voting for them that the kippers wouldn't win the Euros... then, after Farage and Co won, and I suggested AIFE's votes could be added to UKIP's for our discussion purposes as they were clearly the party the vote was intended for, the meme that UKIP had underperformed was so strong that AIFE's votes were their property alone!
    Addressing @AlastairMeeks's point, for non betting purposes, does it matter if UKIP/Brexit split the Brexit vote, or TIG/LD do the same on the other side of the fence? Going forward, we will know how motivated the different sides are from the combined vote %s. I don't think the number of seats obtained is really that important

Assuming we put Labour down as pro-EU and the Tories down as anti-EU, don't you think that at least some importance wil be placed on who gets most seats? Who the largest single winner of seats or votes is?

I'm not suggesting it is like a GE where every seat counts at small majorities, but it will set at least some of the tone.

I think the most interesting result is that of UKIP + Brexit vs LD + TIG (vote percentage).
    That's a good point. Splitting the vote is important in some ways, but as we'll just be treating it as proxy referendum on Brexit it doesn't hugely matter which toaster you pop your slice of bread in.
    I wouldn’t have given the Brexit Party a chance before Change UK emerged. The BBC will now want to cover them and as such with a veteran leader of another party and MEP, they will almost have to give BP as much coverage as CHUK. This will probably hit Tory and UKIP votes for BP and Labour and Libdem for CHUK. I cannot see it having a great impact in Scotland, and the greens seem to be distinctive enough, though they might get hit by far left coalescing around Corbyn
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    glw said:

Basically you are complaining that Farage is good at his job.

No, I am complaining that the BBC give him more airtime than he deserves.

Nigel Farage is reportedly set to achieve the joint highest number of Question Time appearances this century when he appears on the BBC show tomorrow night.

The former Ukip leader will make his 32nd appearance on the show as it airs from Blackpool – with the tally only matched by former Chancellor Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

I wondered if that was going to be a drag on them
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Nigel Farage is reportedly set to achieve the joint highest number of Question Time appearances this century when he appears on the BBC show tomorrow night.

The former Ukip leader will make his 32nd appearance on the show as it airs from Blackpool – with the tally only matched by former Chancellor Ken Clarke.
    Balls, you are just scared.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

Farage is a top class political operator.

Only because the BBC give him blanket coverage
    https://twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP/status/1116582816936906753
    Yeah, how awful they interview the guy that won the last European Parliament elections...

Seriously all these remainers terrified of people being allowed to hear an opposing viewpoint says everything about the weakness of their own views.
    Oh Lord give us debates, just not with them
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    WATO interviewing rape victim on attitude of Labour leadership to Assange and whether Wikileaks is a “get out of jail free card” on rape allegations - with Labour MP Diane Johnson not happy either.
  • Options
  • Options

They are literally complaining that a new pro Brexit party launched today to fight the European Parliament elections is being covered by BBC News as part of its European Parliament election coverage. It sounds to me like the sort of story that would naturally lead such coverage.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

You think in an era when the biggest political upheaval of our time is currently underway the long term proponent of the change, and veteran MEP, is somehow over represented on QT. Considering the other people available to the BBC to take that position it’s a surprise he doesn’t already have the record.
  • Options
    On the US elections, Buttigieg should probably swap with Harris' place in the betting shortly.

Biden, Sanders, Buttigieg.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Media love a Punch and Judy ding dong, and you need a villain for that. The posts hating on him perpetuate it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    College of Policing has ended training of Brunei Police following sharia law implementation. Where’s the Commonwealth?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Scott_P said:
    Haven't they already considered it during the Letwin fiasco?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

On the US elections, Buttigieg should probably swap with Harris' place in the betting shortly.

Thanks. Tell us when to lay the bet. Maybe he'll get to 3.0? He was 9.0 yesterday.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    The question will be, how low can the Tory polling go....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Got to keep asking until it gets the right answer.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    glw said:

They are literally complaining that a new pro Brexit party launched today to fight the European Parliament elections is being covered by BBC News as part of its European Parliament election coverage. It sounds to me like the sort of story that would naturally lead such coverage.
    I have a feeling that a small but vocal group of Remain campaigners in London, who have spent the last couple of years furiously talking to each other and their like-minded media buddies, are about to discover their opinions don’t quite match up with those in the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    And will again. He does seem a bit keen to push it as an option rather than just let it happen, he could at least pretend hes not working toward that option until it is policy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Indeed, in the further indicative votes May is proposing it has to be considered as it got most votes last time along with with her Deal plus Customs Union that was closest to a majority and again her Deal as is which has hot most votes overall so far
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Still roughly tied or not far behind Labour in most polls
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Harris is too short but I am not convenced Buttigieg is that long. Nevertheless... I think I'll allow my £2 @80/1 to ride for now...

New poll in Iowa (you've probably seen):

Biden holds the lead with 27% support among Democratic voters who are likely to attend the Iowa caucuses in February. He is followed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (16%), South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg (9%), Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren (7%), California Sen. Kamala Harris (7%), former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke (6%), Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar (4%), New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (3%), and former cabinet secretary Julián Castro (2%).
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The trend is already clear, lets see how low they go if we end up with another referendum. Farage will be laughing all the way to Ladbrokes to pick up his winnings and I'll have to relocate to Canada to avoid Captain Corbyn and his band of marxist morons.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Got to keep asking until it gets the right answer.
    It's been voted down about as many times as every other option, I guess.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

I have a feeling that a small but vocal group of Remain campaigners in London, who have spent the last couple of years furiously talking to each other and their like-minded media buddies, are about to discover their opinions don’t quite match up with those in the rest of the UK.
    Or maybe we'll discover the rest of the UK aren't so thick as to vote Leave again
  • Options

College of Policing has ended training of Brunei Police following sharia law implementation. Where’s the Commonwealth?

Well at least the Brunei Police will no longer be trained to crack down on people simply expressing opinions on social media...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

I'm not sure this is particularly surprising news. Parliament will get a vote if there's a deal with Labour (with both knowing full well it'll fail), and if not we proceed to indicative votes ..... where a 2nd ref will obviously be one option.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    Scott_P said:
    Brexit: How to stop flogging a dead horse?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm still with Kamala. Being very much one for an illuminating sporting analogy, and with the Masters on now ... what KH is doing is grinding out the archetypal solid and unspectacular opening level par round of 72. She is "going quietly about her business" as the golfing commentators would have it with their love for cliche.

Idea is to make the cut, let others play the high risk crowd pleasing stuff, then when they come a cropper at the business end, find the trees, balls in water, she moves up a gear and cruises to the win. That is how I'm seeing things.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    The trend is already clear, lets see how low they go if we end up with another referendum. Farage will be laughing all the way to Ladbrokes to pick up his winnings and I'll have to relocate to Canada to avoid Captain Corbyn and his band of marxist morons.
    Most Tory MPs have already voted for Leave with May's Deal, Leave with No Deal and against EUref2 and a Customs Union but in case you had not noticed we have a hung parliament not a Tory majority of 100 and any Brexit solution needs a Commons majority. Once May goes if she gets a Deal through Raab or Boris or another hard Brexit leader can take over to lead the Tories at the next general election.

Apart from Alberta Canada is no more right-wing than here really just a lot colder in Winter. If you want a proper Farage type leader try Brazil or the USA or Israel
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

The votes, I think, are in making Brexit go away. Not sure how to do that, however.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

There’s also a petition, started by Westminster Conservatives but now with cross-party support, to make the Dorchester Hotel more Islamic - by revoking their 24-hour alcohol licence.

https://twitter.com/westminstertory/status/1115308990915862529
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Pulpstar said:

Harris is too short but I am not convenced Buttigieg is that long. Nevertheless... I think I'll allow my £2 @80/1 to ride for now...

Biden holds the lead with 27% support among Democratic voters who are likely to attend the Iowa caucuses in February. He is followed by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (16%), South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg (9%), Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren (7%), California Sen. Kamala Harris (7%), former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke (6%), Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar (4%), New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (3%), and former cabinet secretary Julián Castro (2%).
    So, on the face of it, a repeat of 2016 with s/Clinton/Biden/g and the field more prominent, but short of challenging.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,315
    edited April 2019
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

The votes, I think, are in making Brexit go away. Not sure how to do that, however.
    The First World War was enormously popular with the public to begin with. When the reality started to bite, all those elderly men who had encouraged young men to enlist, and the women who had handed out white feathers to those who did not, went kind of quiet and preferred to talk about other things.

This is what will happen with Brexit.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

The combined Brexit/UKIP vote will give us a reasonable measure of how many of the 17.4m leave voters are "irate at the current betrayal".
  • Options

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

The First World War was enormously popular with the public to begin with. When the reality started to bite, all those elderly men who had encouraged young men to enlist, and the women who had handed out white feathers to those who did not, went kind of quiet and preferred to talk about other things.

Might have more to do with the thousands upon thousands of people who died, which only the most crazed Remainer would claim will happen after Brexit.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Farage is confident enough to back his own team to the tune of a couple of monkeys.

3 to 1 isn't a bad price imho.

https://twitter.com/elliotwagland/status/1116620177133555715
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Looks like the Farage bandwagon is starting to roll... :D
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    OllyT said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

The combined Brexit/UKIP vote will give us a reasonable measure of how many of the 17.4m leave voters are "irate at the current betrayal".
    What would be your expectation?
  • Options

Or maybe we'll discover the rest of the UK aren't so thick as to vote Leave again

I wonder.

I've said before that I think 52/48 was misleading, that the true mood of the country back in 2016 was more like 60/40, that we were very clearly Leave Nation.

I do now sense a switch as it becomes increasingly obvious that Brexit is, in practice, perhaps the worst idea since (pick your own), I really do sniff a change, perhaps we have now 3 years later become Remain Nation.

However, 3 years is not a long time to turn around 40/60, and I live in Hampstead, a bubble and one I rarely venture out of, so I take this hopeful perception of mine with a large pinch of salt.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Re the 2003 Extradition Act, JC & JM didn't vote for it but DA did so far as I can tell from this
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2003-12-17.1697.0&s=extradition+2003#g1697.1
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Farage is confident enough to back his own team to the tune of a couple of monkeys.

Man of the people using Star Sports of Mayfair for his betting. Run by Ben Keith, who knows his target audience well. “We specialise in being here for the big boys,” he explains. “I’m not interested in grannies betting 50p – I want arrogant City boys who want to stand toe-to-toe with the bookmaker. They often like to have bravado. I like to take them on.”
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Scott_P said:
    Tories seem to have decided that stopping Brexit is more important than anything even to the point of their party totally imploding.

They'll be able to enjoy remaining in they EU from the glorious position is the opposition benches while Corbyn rules the roost in Downing St.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    Why shouldn't Ivanka lead the World Bank? - she's very good with numbers.
    "“I even thought of Ivanka for the World Bank … She would’ve been great at that because she’s very good with numbers.”"
    http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/president-eyed-ivanka-trump-lead-the-world-bank
  • Options

See that £1,000 is well spent. Farage will probably get at least £1,000 worth of publicity from that one action, and he can hedge his bet.

It's dead simple, but it is doing things like that that keep Farage in the papers. He'll probably be photographed downing a pint shortly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,610

Pulpstar said:

So, on the face of it, a repeat of 2016 with s/Clinton/Biden/g and the field more prominent, but short of challenging.
    Seems a bit early to be calling that, especially on the basis of an Iowa poll.

National polling shows Biden/Saunders way out in front, but their percentages have been ebbing slightly.
    The show becomes real in the summer.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories seem to have decided that stopping Brexit is more important than anything even to the point of their party totally imploding.

They'll be able to enjoy remaining in they EU from the glorious position is the opposition benches while Corbyn rules the roost in Downing St.
    What a bonkers post. With the possible exception of Dominic Grieve, I can't think of any Tory I know, or any Tory MP, who wants to stop Brexit.

Stopping Brexit being a disaster, yes of course, but that's hardly the same thing. If we were to crash out in disaster, it would be near-certain that Corbyn would soon be in Downing St.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    UKIP top of the lists candidates announced

UKIP top of the list candidates

East Midlands

Cllr Alan Graves
    Marietta King

Eastern

Stuart Agnew MEP
    Paul Oakley

London

Gerard Batten MEP
    Richard Braine

North East

Richard Elvin
    Chris Gallacher

North West

Adam Richardson
    Jeffrey Armstrong

Northern Ireland

Robert Hill

Scotland

Donald MacKay
    Janice MacKay

South East

Piers Wauchope
    Liz Phillips

South West

Lawrence Webb
    Carl Benjamin

Wales

Kris Hicks
    Keith Edwards

West Midlands

Ernie Warrender
    Paul Williams

Yorkshire and the Humber

Mike Hookem MEP
    Gary Shores
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I think we'll see Farage and the Brexit Party going on a roll during these EU election and they'll very quickly overtake UKIP who just won't be able to generate the same media attention and what attention they do generate will probably be more abut the antics of Yaxley Lennon.
  • Options

What a bonkers post. With the possible exception of Dominic Grieve, I can't think of any Tory I know, or any Tory MP, who wants to stop Brexit.

Stopping Brexit being a disaster, yes of course, but that's hardly the same thing. If we were to crash out in disaster, it would be near-certain that Corbyn would soon be in Downing St.

Grieve, Johnson, Lee, Greening, Gyimah, couple others.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

At the end of the War, most British soldiers who had taken part thought it had still been worth fighting.

At the moment, we're at the mid 1917 stage. Both sides are war-weary, but neither is in the mood to surrender.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

There’s also a petition, started by Westminster Conservatives but now with cross-party support, to make the Dorchester Hotel more Islamic - by revoking their 24-hour alcohol licence.

The proposal would, of course, be illegal.
  • Options
    Every single comment is slagging Kinkock off I think

https://twitter.com/skinnock/status/1116654530651754497?s=21
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

I think we'll see Farage and the Brexit Party going on a roll during these EU election and they'll very quickly overtake UKIP who just won't be able to generate the same media attention and what attention they do generate will probably be more abut the antics of Yaxley Lennon.
    Sargon of Akkad 2nd on the list for South West region !
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2019
    The North votes could be interesting. Allowing for the echo chamber effect, I still think voting for Brexit is a free hit in the Euro election.

A GE would be more interesting, though, in that party loyalty would be tested. My constituency has a 25,000 Labour majority and a 58% Leave vote. How many would peel off to Brexit when there's no danger of the Tories winning?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Indeed, in the further indicative votes May is proposing it has to be considered as it got most votes last time along with with her Deal plus Customs Union that was closest to a majority and again her Deal as is which has hot most votes overall so far
    Hammond enjoys trolling Conservative voters.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

Whatever. They've had three years to implement the result of the referendum and get us out of the EU and whether by accident or design they've totally failed in that task

Time to pull the plug on the Tories and move on...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Someone made virtue signalling illegal? Things are looking up....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,610
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Seems a bit early to be calling that, especially on the basis of an Iowa poll.

National polling shows Biden/Saunders way out in front, but their percentages have been ebbing slightly.
    The show becomes real in the summer.
    This is interesting polling:
    https://morningconsult.com/2020-democratic-primary/

Note that half a likely voters aren't yet even aware of the existence of Harris or O'Rourke - and that's three quarters for Buttigieg.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    Scott_P said:

TOPPING said:

Interesting take.

His raison d'etre was to get the UK to leave the EU. And true we haven't yet left. But the campaign he lived and breathed for, and was the figurehead for and embodied was successful.

"less likely than ever" - perhaps, perhaps not we shall see; it was certainly a lot more likely just after EURef2016. Plus I am not a fan of "we can't leave". Oh of course we shouldn't, and not on Francois terms, but the UK can leave the EU and might still do so.

He also thought the UK leaving would lead the whole EU project collapsing, and it looks stronger than ever.

I wish him much more similar "success"
    Given that we haven't left yet none of us are in a position to judge what the final effect might be on the EU.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ah I remember it well!

Before the Election, 'An Independence From Europe' were going to take so many votes from UKIP by way of voters accidentally voting for them that the kippers wouldn't win the Euros... then, after Farage and Co won, and I suggested AIFE's votes could be added to UKIP's for our discussion purposes as they were clearly the party the vote was intended for, the meme that UKIP had underperformed was so strong that AIFE's votes were their property alone!
    Addressing @AlastairMeeks's point, for non betting purposes, does it matter if UKIP/Brexit split the Brexit vote, or TIG/LD do the same on the other side of the fence? Going forward, we will know how motivated the different sides are from the combined vote %s. I don't think the number of seats obtained is really that important

Assuming we put Labour down as pro-EU and the Tories down as anti-EU, don't you think that at least some importance wil be placed on who gets most seats? Who the largest single winner of seats or votes is?

I'm not suggesting it is like a GE where every seat counts at small majorities, but it will set at least some of the tone.

I think the most interesting result is that of UKIP + Brexit vs LD + TIG (vote percentage).
    That's a good point. Splitting the vote is important in some ways, but as we'll just be treating it as proxy referendum on Brexit it doesn't hugely matter which toaster you pop your slice of bread in.
    I wouldn’t have given the Brexit Party a chance before Change UK emerged. The BBC will now want to cover them and as such with a veteran leader of another party and MEP, they will almost have to give BP as much coverage as CHUK. This will probably hit Tory and UKIP votes for BP and Labour and Libdem for CHUK. I cannot see it having a great impact in Scotland, and the greens seem to be distinctive enough, though they might get hit by far left coalescing around Corbyn
    Yes, it will be like the Farage v Clegg debates in 2014.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

But that's the point.

They do it because they know it will rile people who love the EU, and so generate ratings.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

It's good trolling, though. Mind you, I don't think that good Muslims care a hoot whether infidels drink alcohol. It's the kind of thing one would expect infidels to do.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ah I remember it well!

Yes, it will be like the Farage v Clegg debates in 2014.
    CHUK are operating in a totally different context to Clegg in 2014. People on the pro-EU side won't tolerate someone playing into Farage's hands in the way Clegg did.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

At the end of the War, most British soldiers who had taken part thought it had still been worth fighting.

At the moment, we're at the mid 1917 stage. Both sides are war-weary, but neither is in the mood to surrender.
    Yes, that's a good way of putting it, Sean.

You of course will know that the returning fighters found people at home didn't want to hear about the realities of life, and death, on the front. Pretty obvious why.

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Hardly quite the same as never being off the BBC? Anna Soubry and Chuka were arguably on the BBC politics programmes more often in the last year and ChUK has not yet won a single vote in any election.

But in the end it’s about ratings and some politicians are more box office than others.

As for his impact - whether you like him or not - without Farage Brexit would never even have been contemplated and the 2016 referendum would never have happened. So he did alter UK political history - which isn’t bad for one man and his essentially one man band party.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,630
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

glw said:

1917 in Britain war weary, or like in France and Russia mutiny and revolt?

Yes, half a million turned out for Haig's funeral, many ex servicemen. A decade later the mood had changed more strongly against.

I suspect buyers remorse will come more quickly for Brexit, not least because half the country never bought in, particularly working age voters.
  • Options
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    glw said:

See that £1,000 is well spent. Farage will probably get at least £1,000 worth of publicity from that one action, and he can hedge his bet.

It's dead simple, but it is doing things like that that keep Farage in the papers. He'll probably be photographed downing a pint shortly.
    You cynical person you. But you are probably dead right.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

As for his impact - whether you like him or not - without Farage Brexit would never even have been contemplated and the 2016 referendum would never have happened.

And he could never have done that without the BBC giving him more airtime than anyone else
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

New Thread

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Afternoon all :)

To change the mood a little, here's an idea from Liz Truss which has upset a few people:

https://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/2019/04/anger-cap-exit-payments?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=

I see the point but there is a difference between the "interim" senior post holder who gets £150k or more a year and someone who has worked thirty years or more at a lower level doing their job.

Certainly in local Government, it's a contributory pension scheme so the employee pays in as does the employer.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

The Tories need 315 or so votes to get something that allows the UK to leave the EU. As the ERG are a bunch of idiots the only way to do that is to get votes from other parties. And it's clear that a vote on May's Deal vs Revoke is just about the only way the Tories can pull that trick off.
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98
    I think this website has increasing gaps in its analysis since it became dominated by Remainers. Speaking to Conservative activists in the last few days, the mood is more one of rage than weariness. This delay has provoked a reaction among usually mild mannered Tories that I haven't seen since the Lisbon controversy. I don't think MPs have quite picked up on the extent of the anger yet but it will hit them shortly. Combined with a wipe out in the local elections and European elections, they will be in a state of shock and awe.

I actually think this is existential for the Tories if they don't get Brexit over the line. The only way that will happen is with a forced Deal vs No Deal choice. I think they need a new leader for that. Probably someone with more tactical intelligence than Boris.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    GIN1138 said:

Whatever. They've had three years to implement the result of the referendum and get us out of the EU and whether by accident or design they've totally failed in that task

What in your opinion would have made the process easier or quicker? It's 24 June 2016. What do you do?

As for that plug, please join the queue.
  • Options
    Mango said:

GIN1138 said:

What in your opinion would have made the process easier or quicker? It's 24 June 2016. What do you do?

As for that plug, please join the queue.
    Not having the stupid sequencing rule for starters.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Man of the people using Star Sports of Mayfair for his betting. Run by Ben Keith, who knows his target audience well. “We specialise in being here for the big boys,” he explains. “I’m not interested in grannies betting 50p – I want arrogant City boys who want to stand toe-to-toe with the bookmaker. They often like to have bravado. I like to take them on.”
    Very amusing! Have borrowed for Twitter.
This discussion has been closed.