Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Getting the MPs we deserve?

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

Dadge said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I enjoyed the article and agreed with most of it. However, 'the disconnect between Westminster and the voters' in some ways is nothing new - indeed was it ever thus? When I think of MPs from the pre-war period - indeed as recently as the 1960s and 1970s - I am struck by how much more remote they were from their constituents than is the case today. Many failed to hold surgeries at all and quite a few rarely set foot in their constituencies from one year to the next. Yet paradoxically , there was little evidence that electors felt particularly neglected or ignored by their MPs - indeed they were held in much greater esteem than their present day successors. I doubt very much that Asquith, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Churchill or Attlee et al spent much time attending to the particular concerns of their local constituents - yet few seemed to care!

I think it comes down to the death of deference and greater accessibility.

That’s generally a good thing IMO. But it does mean today’s voters expect their MP to do their personal bidding, rather than send someone to London to run the country for five years.

Perhaps “disconnect” was the wrong word, but we’ve moved from an era where voters were remote and not bothered. to where they know and expect more but are invariably disappointed.
    I totally agree - we now expect far too much of our MPs in terms of casework and insist that they effectively act as social workers. As a result, they no longer have the time to think in depth and to contemplate the wider national implications of policy decisions.
    MPs today have far more resources available to them than their predecessors, but it is far from clear that this matches the greater demands and expectations of them.
    I've never spoken to my MP and I don't think I know anyone who has had dealings with their MP in a personal rather than professional capacity. I'm not sure how prevalent this view is, but my suspicion is that our political class today finds it harder to say no. The fact that interest rates have barely moved in a decade is evidence of this, in my opinion.
    Interest rates are a key aspect of Monetary Policy , and nowadays are not even directly controlled by the Executive - ie the Chancellor - never mind MPs. Gordon Brown handed the setting of interest rates over to the Bank of England in 1997 - for good or ill.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    justin124 said:

tlg86 said:

justin124 said:

Dadge said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

I enjoyed the article and agreed with most of it. However, 'the disconnect between Westminster and the voters' in some ways is nothing new - indeed was it ever thus? When I think of MPs from the pre-war period - indeed as recently as the 1960s and 1970s - I am struck by how much more remote they were from their constituents than is the case today. Many failed to hold surgeries at all and quite a few rarely set foot in their constituencies from one year to the next. Yet paradoxically , there was little evidence that electors felt particularly neglected or ignored by their MPs - indeed they were held in much greater esteem than their present day successors. I doubt very much that Asquith, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Churchill or Attlee et al spent much time attending to the particular concerns of their local constituents - yet few seemed to care!

I think it comes down to the death of deference and greater accessibility.

That’s generally a good thing IMO. But it does mean today’s voters expect their MP to do their personal bidding, rather than send someone to London to run the country for five years.

Perhaps “disconnect” was the wrong word, but we’ve moved from an era where voters were remote and not bothered. to where they know and expect more but are invariably disappointed.
    I totally agree - we now expect far too much of our MPs in terms of casework and insist that they effectively act as social workers. As a result, they no longer have the time to think in depth and to contemplate the wider national implications of policy decisions.
    MPs today have far more resources available to them than their predecessors, but it is far from clear that this matches the greater demands and expectations of them.
    I've never spoken to my MP and I don't think I know anyone who has had dealings with their MP in a personal rather than professional capacity. I'm not sure how prevalent this view is, but my suspicion is that our political class today finds it harder to say no. The fact that interest rates have barely moved in a decade is evidence of this, in my opinion.
    Interest rates are a key aspect of Monetary Policy , and nowadays are not even directly controlled by the Executive - ie the Chancellor - never mind MPs. Gordon Brown handed the setting of interest rates over to the Bank of England in 1997 - for good or ill.
    That's why I said political class - I'd include the MPC in that. They have a lot of power and as far as I'm concerned are happy to go with the flow and not put the government's nose out of joint.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    No surprise that the Moggette is the cover girl of tomorrow's Telegraph.

Night night again!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    justin124 said:

There were a lot more manual workers in parliament in those days, especially on the Labour benches. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't become distant from voters once they entered the Commons.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    So a lot less than all the other politicians then.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    Anorak said:

snips farage/proclaimers mash-up

Saw that earlier. Marvellous and very clever.
    Note that in the lyrics it says “UKIP coup”, which highlights the brand problem his new party has.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    If we have a GE 2019, given that MPs and parliament have been prominent, I would expect to see some more in the way of genuinely localised swings based on how individuals are seen to have performed in the Brexit battles. This is even setting aside a rate of MPs ceasing to represent the banner they were elected under, which is running at 1 around every 5 weeks in the current parliament.

Not many voters will be aware of as many of the different Brexit players as PBers, but you can be sure a decent number of voters know that their own MP is prominent.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    glw said:

Anorak said:

This thread is devastating. Assange is a grade A, copper bottomed c*nt.
    https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1116468833869602817

If you are going to have a gatekeeper, you need to keep an eye on the gatekeeper. In the case of Wikileaks, it was clear from the beginning that it was very much about where Assange wanted to focus the truth than on the whole truth.
    Wikileaks did start as a clearing house for whistleblowers, but somewhere along the way it became, wittingly or not, an outlet for disinformation and propaganda. The actual mainstream media, like for example the Guardian, tends to be a lot more careful than the alternative media about who they work with.
    Wikileaks knowingly worked with Russian intelligence agencies. The megalomaniac (in itself a warning) that was its leader knowingly had contact with Russian officials and helped deliver Edward Snowden to them.

What really beats me are 1. the people who still buy into Assange in some way and 2. those who now get the picture but don't admit that they once bought into his speak truth to power shtick.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    kyf_100 said:

It's just a thought experiment, but it's not entirely undemocratic, either. A random cross section of society is chosen by lottery to govern for a fixed term of five years. It may offer more representation to, say, a Conservative voter in Bootle (I assume there are some?) who has never been represented in his or her life. I believe others have made similar arguments about the single stochastic vote system of electing representatives, which you could argue is more democratic than our current system.

How about scrapping the Lords and creating a second chamber selected entirely by lottery? No power to propose or make law, but the ability to veto it or send it back. As a way to provide a check and balance on the government of the day.

So heart surgeons, pilots and military officers would be taken out of their highly skilled and valuable jobs for five years and put them into a job which does not interest them, just to fill the house of lords.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    A Happy "No Brexit" to you all, again!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    eristdoof said:

A Happy "No Brexit" to you all, again!

"Today we celebrate our Non-Independence Day!" :lol:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    Did I hear the BBC right?

JRM's sister is in Farage's Brexit Party?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Night night again!

I assume Nancy Rees Mogg will be top of their list in the south west?

I thought they were also looking to recruit Michelle Dewberry - ex of the Apprentice and current of Sky News’ the Pledge? She would look good oop north.

Diane James MEP who led UKIP for less than a month has also apparently signed up to be right below Farage in the south east.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

It would be an interesting debating point to slash the number of MPs.. even down to, say, a couple of hundred.. representing c. half a million each (possibly a county or borough each) to actually make the decisions. But whether through higher money or genuine notability attracting better people, you aim to get serious people rather than Mark Francois. And then you back them with a proper staff to ‘do local’. Lots of cons (not least each idiot who does slip through having a far bigger say), but it’s an alternative system with some pros too.

As much as you deride Francois for not being "serious", he has demonstrated the capacity - or at least the luck - to jump through whichever hoops were required to become an MP in our current system. In fact, holding one of the country's largest and therefore most coveted majorities, he seems to be a serious hoop-jumper of the first rate. Approval of central party, approval of local party, approval of local voters, the guy's done it all. Goodness only knows how, but he's done it.

On the face of that evidence of past performance, were the hoops set even higher to select only for the very best hoop-jumpers, then Francois would be significantly more likely to make the cut than the vast majority of MPs.
    Partly, I accept he has his strong points and a ‘constituency’ (and choosing him over others was flippant and a shortcut - maybe Kawczynski’s a better bet, or most other backbenchers). But my point is that you might actually attract more top business people/head teachers/surgeons/whatever to fight those people... in seats where they would have real clout rather than being lobby fodder as 1 in 650.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

The voters choose from the candidates that the local parties put in front of them. The local parties get to choose from the shortlist put in front of them. Getting onto the approved candidates lists comes from on high. If we are not getting a decent cadre of MPs it is the systems used by the parties to decide who is a suitable candidate to blame.

Spending 30 or more years living a normal life and then rocking up in Parliament is becoming harder as each electoral cycle goes by.

Night night all.

Don't think I agree with this. It's not that hard to get on the approved list - I'd guess that 90% of PBers could do it without preparation. The only person I knew who failed had poor English and didn't know what a county council was. Nice guy, but...

The problem is selection by familiarity. It's human nature to prefer someone who you've known for ages and think reasonably sound to someone you've never heard of who rocks up. so the way to get selected is usually to spend a significant part of your free time for 10-20 years helping your local party (if you live in a winnable seat). And if you're doing that, you're probably not becoming a leading economist or an expert on lemons.

But Sandy's certainly right that the ordinary voter often doesn't have a meaningful, informed choice of individuals, and most voters hesitate to vote for someone they respect but disagree with. So people vote primarily for the party, and the party picks saomeone they happen to know well.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,619

It would be an interesting debating point to slash the number of MPs.. even down to, say, a couple of hundred.. representing c. half a million each (possibly a county or borough each) to actually make the decisions. But whether through higher money or genuine notability attracting better people, you aim to get serious people rather than Mark Francois. And then you back them with a proper staff to ‘do local’. Lots of cons (not least each idiot who does slip through having a far bigger say), but it’s an alternative system with some pros too.

As much as you deride Francois for not being "serious", he has demonstrated the capacity - or at least the luck - to jump through whichever hoops were required to become an MP in our current system. In fact, holding one of the country's largest and therefore most coveted majorities, he seems to be a serious hoop-jumper of the first rate. Approval of central party, approval of local party, approval of local voters, the guy's done it all. Goodness only knows how, but he's done it.

On the face of that evidence of past performance, were the hoops set even higher to select only for the very best hoop-jumpers, then Francois would be significantly more likely to make the cut than the vast majority of MPs.
    Partly, I accept he has his strong points and a ‘constituency’ (and choosing him over others was flippant and a shortcut - maybe Kawczynski’s a better bet, or most other backbenchers). But my point is that you might actually attract more top business people/head teachers/surgeons/whatever to fight those people... in seats where they would have real clout rather than being lobby fodder as 1 in 650.
    I don't think we need more surgeons or other doctors in Parliament. There are a half dozen already. We need more porters, security guards, waitresses and hair dressers. They are the people that are missing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

The voters choose from the candidates that the local parties put in front of them. The local parties get to choose from the shortlist put in front of them. Getting onto the approved candidates lists comes from on high. If we are not getting a decent cadre of MPs it is the systems used by the parties to decide who is a suitable candidate to blame.

Spending 30 or more years living a normal life and then rocking up in Parliament is becoming harder as each electoral cycle goes by.

Night night all.

Don't think I agree with this. It's not that hard to get on the approved list - I'd guess that 90% of PBers could do it without preparation. The only person I knew who failed had poor English and didn't know what a county council was. Nice guy, but...

The problem is selection by familiarity. It's human nature to prefer someone who you've known for ages and think reasonably sound to someone you've never heard of who rocks up. so the way to get selected is usually to spend a significant part of your free time for 10-20 years helping your local party (if you live in a winnable seat). And if you're doing that, you're probably not becoming a leading economist or an expert on lemons.

But Sandy's certainly right that the ordinary voter often doesn't have a meaningful, informed choice of individuals, and most voters hesitate to vote for someone they respect but disagree with. So people vote primarily for the party, and the party picks saomeone they happen to know well.
    Blair being the exception to your rule. Trimdon.
  • Options

Did I hear the BBC right?

JRM's sister is in Farage's Brexit Party?

Yep.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

Night night again!

I assume Nancy Rees Mogg will be top of their list in the south west?

I thought they were also looking to recruit Michelle Dewberry - ex of the Apprentice and current of Sky News’ the Pledge? She would look good oop north.

Diane James MEP who led UKIP for less than a month has also apparently signed up to be right below Farage in the south east.
    So, this uprising of the disposed and the forgotten, the just about managing, the seaside dwellers of bedsit land, those who are definitely not the elite... turns out to be a minor celeb fest of talk radio stars, late night TV appearances and aristo former tory candidates.

Presumably Darcey Bussell has been tapped up as well?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    Foxy said:

I don't think we need more surgeons or other doctors in Parliament. There are a half dozen already. We need more porters, security guards, waitresses and hair dressers. They are the people that are missing.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Buttigieg formally announces this weekend.

7.4 for dem nominee.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Agreed.
    Only (and I apply it to the surgeons etc too) if they’re willing to do the homework and govern for the whole country rather than reading a bunch of “wot I reckon” on Facebook and turning it into policy. Too many at the moment have a very narrow view of life, whether theirs or living vicariously through the eyes of JRM (or Corbyn)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744

Night night all.

It's not that hard to get on the approved list - I'd guess that 90% of PBers could do it without preparation.
    Well that's definitely not encouraing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Well, at the least he's been the most interesting aspect of the early stages, so he's done well even if his star fades.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

On the flip side, the diversity (in the walks-of-life sense) of MPs seems rather less than the diversity of, say, local councillors. The more "elite" the position becomes, perhaps the more likely it is to be pursued and occupied by a devoted political animal, rather than a "normie"?

I accept that there are talented people put off by the idea of becoming lobby-fodder. I wonder if, on the other hand, the fact that back-bench MPs can still pursue personal interests (including professional ones) should their political career never really hit the heights might be a reassurance to some? Some high-flyers would have to give a whole lot up if they went into politics on the basis of "if elected, the mantle of power is so great you need to focus on it 100%".

I suspect the strongest argument against reducing the size of the Commons substantially is that the payroll would become disproportionately important - it may even end up with the executive having more power and the legislators less, even on a per capita basis. Not sure what the best alternative would be - appointing ministers from public life to sit in the Lords, or to separate powers further by having non-legislative ministers as the norm?
  • Options
    "The politicians are not our masters, they are to do our bidding"

says former Cameron 'A' list candidate, and daughter of editor of the Times.

Against the elite. Oh yes...

• Options
    kle4 said:

Well, at the least he's been the most interesting aspect of the early stages, so he's done well even if his star fades.
    A marker for a few years down the road if not VP, if nothing else.

I have a feeling though we are about to see a surprise with this guy in the debates.
  • Options
    FWIW there's a lot of academic research on decision-making that might be relevant here.

I'm not massively convinced by the hypothesis that we need lots of "talented" people in the Commons (top surgeons or top lawyers or top businessfolk etc) as there are questions over just how their decision-making skills, which have served them well in their area of expertise, might transfer to a quite different domain. But given the very varied subjects that Parliament legislates over, there may be benefits to diversity of backgrounds and experiences.

I also agree with Dr Fox that many groups outside "the professions" need/deserve more representation in politics.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2019
    Foxy said:

We need more advertisers and marketers. Doctors and surgeons and hairdressers and porters are too useful outside. What we are short of are people with the ability to sell an idea. They have no public service virtue outside and there is certainly no shortage of them.

But just think of the power if someone could harness some of the industries best brains to sell an absolutely crap idea like Mrs May's deal?

Don't underestimate them. They could achieve goals other MPs couldn't reach. Ad men that made My Little Pony the most sought after toy in the world and the foul tasting Bud Light the best selling beer
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

We need more advertisers and marketers. Doctors and surgeons and hairdressers and porters are too useful outside. What we are short of are people with the ability to sell an idea. They have no public service virtue outside and there is certainly no shortage of them.

But just think of the power if someone could harness some of the industries best brains to sell an absolutely crap idea like Mrs May's deal?

Don't underestimate them. They could achieve goals other MPs couldn't reach. Ad men that made My Little Pony the most sought after toy in the world and the foul tasting Bud Light the best selling beer
    David Cameron was a PR man for Carlton I believe.

We have him to thank for this marvellous Brexit situation we are in!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    kle4 said:

Night night all.

It's not that hard to get on the approved list - I'd guess that 90% of PBers could do it without preparation.
    Well that's definitely not encouraing.
    Unless we want to organise a coup.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,117
    Foxy said:

Yep. The people who voted for Brexit are the ones missing from Parliament.....
  • Options
    edited April 2019

FWIW there's a lot of academic research on decision-making that might be relevant here.

I'm not massively convinced by the hypothesis that we need lots of "talented" people in the Commons (top surgeons or top lawyers or top businessfolk etc) as there are questions over just how their decision-making skills, which have served them well in their area of expertise, might transfer to a quite different domain. But given the very varied subjects that Parliament legislates over, there may be benefits to diversity of backgrounds and experiences.

I also agree with Dr Fox that many groups outside "the professions" need/deserve more representation in politics.

What top QC or partner in a City law firm earning £500 000 a year or CEO of a FTSE 100 company earning £1 million + a year or top consultant earning £80 to £100 000 a year who also wants a private life is going to swap it to become an MP on £79 000 a year still working very long hours and in the public eye and dependent on the Party machine and facing orders from the whips?

Even those who reach the Cabinet frequently sacrifice the best years of their professional careers to reach the top and will have to have spent years normally climbing the ranks of the Party to get there.

In any case those who have had top careers outside e.g. Archie Norman have often found it difficult to flourish in the bearpit of Westminster

• Options
    Roger said:

Foxy said:

This is a great post. But while it makes its point superbly, it could also double as an argument for ad-men to be banished from public life, and possibly exiled from society altogether...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

What top QC or partner in a City law firm earning £500 000 a year or CEO of a FTSE 100 company earning £1 million + a year or top consultant earning £80 to £100 000 a year who also wants a private life is going to swap it to become an MP on £79 000 a year still working very long hours and in the public eye and dependent on the Party machine and facing orders from the whips?

Even those who reach the Cabinet frequently sacrifice the best years of their professional careers to reach the top and will have to have spent years normally climbing the ranks of the Party to get there.

In any case those who have had top careers outside e.g. Archie Norman have often found it difficult to flourish in the bearpit of Westminster

Think Archie Norman is a good example actually. If parliament had a few hundred of his ilk, it might be an easier place for such people to operate effectively - but would it end up making "better" decisions? I'm not sure.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited April 2019
    British MPs are fine, the problem is their unbelievably shitty leaderships. This in turn is caused by the combination of FPTP and party democracy, which results in being limited to two choices, each chosen by a few hundred thousand of the most mental people in our society.
  • Options

British MPs are fine, the problem is their unbelievably shitty leaderships. This in turn is caused by the combination of FPTP and party democracy, which results in being limited to two choices, each chosen by a few hundred thousand of the most mental people in our society.

British MPs who have so far twice voted down every Brexit option going?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

In fact, holding one of the country's largest and therefore most coveted majorities, he seems to be a serious hoop-jumper of the first rate. Approval of central party, approval of local party, approval of local voters, the guy's done it all. Goodness only knows how, but he's done it.

But my point is that you might actually attract more top business people/head teachers/surgeons/whatever to fight those people... in seats where they would have real clout rather than being lobby fodder as 1 in 650.

Exactly! Turn their dark arts to work for good for a change. The point about admen is that they can work for any client selling any product. Cameron's problem was that he was both client and adman. He did a reasonable selling job but he's left us with a God awful product.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Think Archie Norman is a good example actually. If parliament had a few hundred of his ilk, it might be an easier place for such people to operate effectively - but would it end up making "better" decisions? I'm not sure.
    Norman us an executive who likes clear decisive decision making, as we have seen with the Brexit votes Westminster may not be the best forum for that.

You also need a bit of charisma to flourish as a businessman in politics, hence it worked for Trump and Berlusconi but not Romney and Norman, maybe the difference between being an entrepreneur and more of a risk takes than someone working for an established corporation
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

It would be an interesting debating point to slash the number of MPs.. even down to, say, a couple of hundred.. representing c. half a million each (possibly a county or borough pros too.

In fact, holding one of the country's largest and therefore most coveted majorities, he seems to be a serious hoop-jumper of the first rate. Approval of central party, approval of local party, approval of local voters, the guy's done it all. Goodness only knows how, but he's done it.

But my point is that you might actually attract more top business people/head teachers/surgeons/whatever to fight those people... in seats where they would have real clout rather than being lobby fodder as 1 in 650.

Exactly! Turn their dark arts to work for good for a change. The point about an adman is they are indiscriminate in what they sell. They can work for any client selling any product. Cameron's problem was that he was both client and adman. He did a reasonable selling job but he's left us with a God awful product.
    Maurice Satrach was of course the guru for that when he sold Thatcherism in the late 70s and 80s
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

1) All the options were shit, so that's not such an unwise response
    2) The paralysis is a combination of terrible leadership and terrible membership. The leader won't whip Tory MPs for anything except banging their heads against the brick wall she's built, and the members will turn on Tory MPs who do anything that might get them out of the treacle
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

It would be an interesting debating point to slash the number of MPs.. even down to, say, a couple of hundred.. representing c. half a million each (possibly a county or borough pros too.

Exactly! Turn their dark arts to work for good for a change. The point about an adman is they are indiscriminate in what they sell. They can work for any client selling any product. Cameron's problem was that he was both client and adman. He did a reasonable selling job but he's left us with a God awful product.
    Maurice Satrach was of course the guru for that when he sold Thatcherism in the late 70s and 80s
    A case in point. What a crap product he sold us!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

We are all discussing Parliament but we are not discussing its function. Once we define what it is (and what it should be), then defining what MPs would best fit that task becomes easier.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

In fact, holding one of the country's largest and therefore most coveted majorities, he seems to be a serious hoop-jumper of the first rate. Approval of central party, approval of local party, approval of local voters, the guy's done it all. Goodness only knows how, but he'srity of MPs.

A case in point. What a crap product he sold us!
    Compared to Britain in the 70s it was like vintage champagne to Tesco own brand Ribena.

(Plus should have said Saatchi not Satrach, apologies).

If Corbyn gets in we will soon need another Thatcher
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Night night all.

Blair being the exception to your rule. Trimdon.
    So were Harold Wilson, Jim Callaghan and Hugh Gaitskell!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

2) The paralysis is a combination of terrible leadership and terrible membership. The leader won't whip Tory MPs for anything except banging their heads against the brick wall she's built, and the members will turn on Tory MPs who do anything that might get them out of the treacle
    Eventually MPs will have to compromise on something, as even May has realised, we cannot go on with this purgatory for ever
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Eventually MPs will have to compromise on something, as even May has realised, we cannot go on with this purgatory for ever
    Ultimately the universe will run out of thermodynamic free energy, so there are potential outcomes that don't involve the British making a decision.

But we know how you end the paralysis: A general election or a referendum. Why hasn't this happening yet? Because the government won't support them. Alternatively MPs could work around the government and support one of these, but they can't realistically be expected to do that that because their membership is opposed to them, to the point of potentially deselecting them.

Terrible leadership, terrible membership. That's it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ultimately the universe will run out of thermodynamic free energy, so there are potential outcomes that don't involve the British making a decision.

But we know how you end the paralysis: A general election or a referendum. Why hasn't this happening yet? Because the government won't support them. Alternatively MPs could work around the government and support one of these, but they can't realistically be expected to do that that because their membership is opposed to them, to the point of potentially deselecting them.

It might as well be the heat death of the universe to support a second ref if you're a Tory.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

Foxy said:

And the chance of being selected as a candidate who has supported Brexit are low, unless you are a Tory. This means many from the centre and left of politics who supported Brexit are missing this representation.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107

And the chance of being selected as a candidate who has supported Brexit are low, unless you are a Tory. This means many from the centre and left of politics who supported Brexit are missing this representation.

But hardly anyone from the centre or left supported Brexit. "Lexit" is a niche interest, popular among a certain type of baby boomer far left activist (Lenin cap, various badges optional). Of course many people in Labour-leaning constituencies voted for Brexit. But I am not sure how many of them were Labour voters. And if they were Labour voters, I'm not sure how many were left wing. Brexit is a nationalist project beloved of people in the English provinces. It's got fuck all to do with left wing politics.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

But hardly anyone from the centre or left supported Brexit. "Lexit" is a niche interest, popular among a certain type of baby boomer far left activist (Lenin cap, various badges optional). Of course many people in Labour-leaning constituencies voted for Brexit. But I am not sure how many of them were Labour voters. And if they were Labour voters, I'm not sure how many were left wing. Brexit is a nationalist project beloved of people in the English provinces. It's got fuck all to do with left wing politics.
    You have it completely backwards. The "Left's" damascene conversion to the EU is (ironically) down the now hated "right-wing" Blairites and the subsequent shifting demographics of the left vote. What the Left has now is a bunch of middle-class voters who actually do quite well out of full-on economic liberalisation that the Tories and then Blairites pursued.

The reason the Left is no longer Eurosceptic as it once was (moreso than the Tories) is because its voter base is no longer that left-wing.

The reason Tories became more Eurosceptic than they once were is because, as the EEC morphed inexorably towards the EU, political and identity issues became more salient than economics.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Brexit: Boris Johnson to snub ‘preposterous’ EU poll amid threat of wipeout

Boris Johnson’s allies have said that he will not campaign in the European elections, amid growing Tory gloom over participation in the poll." {£}

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-johnson-to-snub-preposterous-eu-poll-amid-threat-of-wipeout-dktnlc8bs
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996

I think that's over-egging the pudding. 'Supporting' Brexit is one thing; having Brexit as the core point in your political life is another.

Thankfully, the other parties seem to realise that there is a wider world than just Brexit, and therefore a candidate who screeches about it (either for remain or leave) might face issues.

And that's the problems the Conservatives have had for decades:small-minded idiots (e.g. Cash, IDS) who put the EU at the top of all their concerns. And if the other parties are hesitant to select such fools, good on them.

Note I didn't mention Johnson, as he's just using Brexit as part of a shallow and selfish power-grab.
  • Options

My old neighbour always voted Labour, and had a big "leave" flag outside his house. He never seemed particularly left wing.
    Voting Labour is just something people do round these parts, like following Wednesday or United..
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It might as well be the heat death of the universe to support a second ref if you're a Tory.
    This is true. The problem is then that both the Tory base and the voters at large hate their brexit policy so much that it's impossible for them to run for election on it, hence paralysis.

That's it - it's nothing to do with too many MPs having studied PPE or whatever.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nah, plenty of pendioners and those with private incomes there...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Boris Johnson’s allies have said that he will not campaign in the European elections, amid growing Tory gloom over participation in the poll." {£}

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brexit-johnson-to-snub-preposterous-eu-poll-amid-threat-of-wipeout-dktnlc8bs

Boris is utterly thick. He wants the top job, yet he doesn't seem to realise that his behaviour now will colour that leadership. If he can rebel in such a manner, Conservative MPs outside his little coterie of thick upper-class idiots or thick upper-class idiot wannabes will feel able to rebel against his backwards policy platform.

Boris is all tactics, no strategy.
  • Options
    The YouGov poll shows that the proportions who believe Britain was wrong or right in 2016 to vote to leave the EU remain broadly unchanged since the start of the year. Some 48 per cent think it was the wrong decision while 41 per cent think it was the right decision, with 11 per cent saying they do not know.

Among Labour voters, 77 per cent think Britain was wrong to vote to leave. Some 8 per cent of people who voted to leave in 2016 think that this was the wrong decision, and a further 8 per cent are now unsure.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

It would be an interesting debating point to slash the number of MPs.. even down to, say, a couple of hundred.. representing c. half a million each (possibly a county or borough each) to actually make the diot who does slip through having a far bigger say), but it’s an alternative system with some pros too.

Yes, a man experienced in PR and with consequently a complacently high assessment of his selling skills is responsible for this whole fine mess.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Boris is utterly thick. He wants the top job, yet he doesn't seem to realise that his behaviour now will colour that leadership. If he can rebel in such a manner, Conservative MPs outside his little coterie of thick upper-class idiots or thick upper-class idiot wannabes will feel able to rebel against his backwards policy platform.

And he never feels tied to or bound by anything he has said or done previously. That's why he is so dangerous; his complete lack of principle, morality or shame.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Crossover!

The Tories will soon be circling the plughole.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    CHUK and the LDs need to do something together quickly. Neither going anywhere alone.
  • Options

A very astute post. "Brexit (was) a nationalist project beloved of people in the English provinces" would be its perfect epitaph
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

CHUK and the LDs need to do something together quickly. Neither going anywhere alone.
    Greens too. I have to think quite carefully who to vote for here in the East Midlands, as in a 5 member Dehondt constituency it is not very proportional.

Tories are road kill though, so Brexit isn't all bad.
  • Options
    Labour landslide incoming on 30%...
  • Options

Crossover!

Tuition fees on steroids
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Roger said:

A very astute post. "Brexit (was) a nationalist project beloved of people in the English provinces" would be its perfect epitaph
    Wales, not noted as a bastion of Toryism, voted for it. The Valleys, which when last I checked have been Labour for over 100 years, voted to leave. Only two Labour seats in the whole of Wales voted remain, both of them in Cardiff.

I think your thesis needs a bit of work.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    The Tiggers should have called by-elections. They're disappearing without at trace.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Crossover!

Tuition fees on steroids
    Very few people on tuition fees are on steroids. Would more probably be cannabis.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

And he never feels tied to or bound by anything he has said or done previously. That's why he is so dangerous; his complete lack of principle, morality or shame.
    Qualities he shares with Corbyn.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

I am no fan of Corbyn, but I don't agree. Corbyn is more commonly criticised for having stuck to the same principles and views his whole life, regardless of the world changing around him,
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The Tiggers should have called by-elections. They're disappearing without at trace.

Disappearing with a trace is hardly better?

• Options

The YouGov poll shows that the proportions who believe Britain was wrong or right in 2016 to vote to leave the EU remain broadly unchanged since the start of the year. Some 48 per cent think it was the wrong decision while 41 per cent think it was the right decision, with 11 per cent saying they do not know.

Among Labour voters, 77 per cent think Britain was wrong to vote to leave. Some 8 per cent of people who voted to leave in 2016 think that this was the wrong decision, and a further 8 per cent are now unsure.

Also in YouGov I see only 14% believe we will actually leave in (or have left by) 31 October. Whatever else is happening, people are clearly doubting it will happen now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Wales, not noted as a bastion of Toryism, voted for it. The Valleys, which when last I checked have been Labour for over 100 years, voted to leave. Only two Labour seats in the whole of Wales voted remain, both of them in Cardiff.

I wouldn't like to take credit for Living Boys line but for someone from the land of Dylan Thomas you have a fairly pedestrian idea of the metaphorical
  • Options
    Looks like Brexit Party may win the Euros, doesn't it? A lot of the voters won't have got the memo that faragism is now living at Brexit not UKIP, but they mostly will by the time the election comes around. Put those two together and that's a win, and there's probably some room for LD/Green/CHUK to nibble a bit more out of Lab once the campaign starts and they get some broadcasting time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

I am no fan of Corbyn, but I don't agree. Corbyn is more commonly criticised for having stuck to the same principles and views his whole life, regardless of the world changing around him,
    He is wrongly criticised for that. He has in fact made major changes in his approach - the EU springs to mind, but so do wealth transfers, law and order, and race and racism.

Corbyn throughout his career has done whatever he thinks will appeal to his target audience. That's why he was Loony Left in the eighties, serial rebel in the nineties, anti-Iraq war in the noughties and now free tuition and free ponies in the teens. There isn't really any consistency except trying to persuade people he is 'sound'.

It's why he's wriggling so much on the EU at the moment - he can't decide what would be most popular as the country is so split. By an interesting irony, that has however been very politically beneficial to him. It's also why he's impaled on the hook of anti-Semitism - to get his core vote on the radical Left out, he has to be nice to Muslims and rabid on Palestine, including being chummy with Holocaust deniers. Therefore, he must ignore the Jews, who have fewer votes. The fact he comes across to outsiders as deeply unpleasant is irrelevant, although he cares enough to lie repeatedly when caught out.

The big drawback of Corbyn compared to Johnson is that Johnson may be crazy but is undoubtedly intelligent. Corbyn is crazy and is clearly not very bright either.

Neither is fit to be PM, or arguably to be an MP. But Corbyn is less fit.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

I wouldn't like to take credit for Living Boys line but for someone from the land of Dylan Thomas you have a fairly pedestrian idea of the metaphorical
    Your metaphor doesn't work. That's the problem.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Boris can be seen as having 'principles' if those 'principles' are self-interest.

Likewise, Corbyn's support for women's rights appears not to stretch to supporting the alleged victims of Assange. Or his views on the rights of the people do not stretch to those suffering in Venezuela. Or his 'principles' about anti-racism conflicts with his anti-Semtiism.

Basically: his principles hold as long as they don't interfere with his sick ideology.
  • Options
    I wonder how UKIP are going to attack Brexit. Too soft? Splitters?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Boris can be seen as having 'principles' if those 'principles' are self-interest.

Likewise, Corbyn's support for women's rights appears not to stretch to supporting the alleged victims of Assange. Or his views on the rights of the people do not stretch to those suffering in Venezuela. Or his 'principles' about anti-racism conflicts with his anti-Semtiism.

Basically: his principles hold as long as they don't interfere with his sick ideology.
    I don't think that works as an argument, at all. Corbyn has an ideology (I never said I liked it, just that he had one). Boris has none. Being self-interested is the opposite of being principled.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

He is wrongly criticised for that. He has in fact made major changes in his approach - the EU springs to mind, but so do wealth transfers, law and order, and race and racism.

Corbyn throughout his career has done whatever he thinks will appeal to his target audience. That's why he was Loony Left in the eighties, serial rebel in the nineties, anti-Iraq war in the noughties and now free tuition and free ponies in the teens. There isn't really any consistency except trying to persuade people he is 'sound'.

It's why he's wriggling so much on the EU at the moment - he can't decide what would be most popular as the country is so split. By an interesting irony, that has however been very politically beneficial to him. It's also why he's impaled on the hook of anti-Semitism - to get his core vote on the radical Left out, he has to be nice to Muslims and rabid on Palestine, including being chummy with Holocaust deniers. Therefore, he must ignore the Jews, who have fewer votes. The fact he comes across to outsiders as deeply unpleasant is irrelevant, although he cares enough to lie repeatedly when caught out.

The big drawback of Corbyn compared to Johnson is that Johnson may be crazy but is undoubtedly intelligent. Corbyn is crazy and is clearly not very bright either.

Your argument falls down almost immediately when you say ;

"Corbyn throughout his career has done whatever he thinks will appeal to his target audience"

Corbyn has never had a target audience. He has never been or wanted to be a leader. Corbyn is long term into student politics. Up to his mid 60s in fact. Describing him as a chamelion appealing to his target audience would make as much sense applied to Chance the Gardener

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Morris Dancer is going to be in a good mood when he comes on. Nothing like an 8/1 shot coming in, to start the day smiling!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Looks like Brexit Party may win the Euros, doesn't it? A lot of the voters won't have got the memo that faragism is now living at Brexit not UKIP, but they mostly will by the time the election comes around. Put those two together and that's a win, and there's probably some room for LD/Green/CHUK to nibble a bit more out of Lab once the campaign starts and they get some broadcasting time.
    The ~Express goes even further with their poll - 82% intend to vote the Brexit Party :)

As it's in the Express it must be true!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Sandpit, thanks. Tight margins in qualifying. Good tip on Bottas to win the race tomorrow, may look at hedging that.

Will write the first half of the pre-race ramble imminently but the full thing will likely be up this evening, due to a combination of wanting the markets to wake up and being otherwise occupied for much of the day.

Nice start to the weekend.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

I don't think that works as an argument, at all. Corbyn has an ideology (I never said I liked it, just that he had one). Boris has none. Being self-interested is the opposite of being principled.
    I agree Corbyn has an ideology: we were talking about principles. Principles and ideology are very different: which is why idealogues who pretend to hold certain principles dear can break those principles to further the ideology.

Witness anywhere that has attempted Communism, for instance: it is always the poor that suffer.

Corbyn has held the same ideology (a sick one IMV) for decades. His principles have been somewhat fluid.
  • Options
    Nice article, Mr. Tweed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Corbyn throughout his career'sound'.

It's why he's wriggling so much on the EUwho have fewer votes. The fact he comes across to outsiders as deeply unpleasant is irrelevant, although he cares enough to lie repeatedly when caught out.

"Corbyn throughout his career has done whatever he thinks will appeal to his target audience"

Corbyn has never had a target audience. He has never been or wanted to be a leader. Corbyn is long term into student politics. Up to his mid 60s in fact. Describing him as a chamelion appealing to his target audience would make as much sense applied to Chance the Gardener

Yep - Corbyn has never changed his mind on anything. He’s learned, to an extent, to keep his mouth shut, but as his uncritical, unwavering support for Assange and his reactions to the Salisbury poisonings show he remains the anti-Western activist he’s always been. That’s his guiding star.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    The Tory collapse in the YouGov poll hides the Labour one. What’s clear is that there’s at least a partial way back for the Tories - leaving the EU. Where does the Labour bounce come from?
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, Corbyn's departure.

I wonder if the Pirate Party is standing in Yorkshire. Thinking of most political parties and the voting selection available, it's making me think of a vegan menu. Plenty of options, and I don't want any of them.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Not my area, but Ladbrokes has a nice-looking market set for most seats in various EU regions. Might be interesting for tips and/or an article for those who know about such things.

Edited extra bit: Verstappen's odds have barely fallen, he's 15 for the win. Each way, that's a fifth the odds for top 3.

Not a proper tip yet because I want to see how the full markets look this evening (and will be busy, soonish) but that's worth considering.
  • Options

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

Corbyn throughout his career'sound'.

It's why he's wriggling so much on the EUwho have fewer votes. The fact he comes across to outsiders as deeply unpleasant is irrelevant, although he cares enough to lie repeatedly when caught out.

Yep - Corbyn has never changed his mind on anything. He’s learned, to an extent, to keep his mouth shut, but as his uncritical, unwavering support for Assange and his reactions to the Salisbury poisonings show he remains the anti-Western activist he’s always been. That’s his guiding star.

As I say below, I think you are confusing ideology and principles. His ideology has remained consistent: his principles vary to match the ideology.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    An interesting choice for MPs. Push ahead with a revoke or another referendum where they might snatch a narrow win (their preference), or allow at least a soft Brexit and try to paint it as a full-on Leave.

The first might produce a rearrangement of the voting patterns for the main parties which is difficult to predict. The second is problematic because Labour (members and MPs) will dislike it intensely, and many Tories will hate, even if Jezza and many voters can live with it.

I'd opt for the Irish option … "If I were you, sir, I wouldn't start from here."
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    edited April 2019

The Tory collapse in the YouGov poll hides the Labour one. What’s clear is that there’s at least a partial way back for the Tories - leaving the EU. Where does the Labour bounce come from?

I expect that almost every vote for the Brexit Party at Parliamentary level comes from former Conservatives. I don't know if the Brexit party is planning to field Parliamentary candidates, though.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited April 2019

Mr. Observer, Corbyn's departure.

I wonder if the Pirate Party is standing in Yorkshire. Thinking of most political parties and the voting selection available, it's making me think of a vegan menu. Plenty of options, and I don't want any of them.

It appears that it’s possible to run as an individual candidate in the EU elections, although there’s a hefty £5k deposit to find.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/candidate-or-agent/european-parliamentary-elections

I wonder if we are about to see a few prominent people crowdfunding for campaign funds on a ‘F the politicians’ platform?

Edit: I believe that Mr @Lennon, of this parish, stood for the Pirate party in the last general election.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

You have it completely backwards. The "Left's" damascene conversion to the EU is (ironically) down the now hated "right-wing" Blairites and the subsequent shifting demographics of the left vote. What the Left has now is a bunch of middle-class voters who actually do quite well out of full-on economic liberalisation that the Tories and then Blairites pursued.

The reason the Left is no longer Eurosceptic as it once was (moreso than the Tories) is because its voter base is no longer that left-wing.

The reason Tories became more Eurosceptic than they once were is because, as the EEC morphed inexorably towards the EU, political and identity issues became more salient than economics.

This programme by Peter Hitchens is interesting on those points as I recall

https://youtu.be/CY_BgnZdwko
This discussion has been closed.